7.5

1. May 21, 2011
    Exactly what I hate in a movie: pseudo-mysticism, cliches by the spoonful, plot improbabilities beyond comprehension, good talent wasted, and boring too boot. Ugh!
  2. Oct 18, 2014
    O...M...G...I don't know what to say. Mixed bag doesn't even describe it!

O...M...G...I don't know what to say. Mixed bag doesn't even describe it!

First off, this movie wasn't THAT bad. It just wasn't great. If it had been an independent film, I would of rated it higher, since I would of respected it's production values more as the movie would of been harder to make. In fact, the production values are not half bad for a company produced movie, but that doesn't shake my "mixed bag" sort of feelings of this movie. I have never watched a "realistic" movie that is so ridiculously unrealistic! It just boggles my mind! I'll get to why that is soon, but since this is a review, I'll start with the story. The movie starts with a very cliche "bad orphanage" that a child called Evan has had to live in ever since his parents, Lyla and Louis, were forced to split up after Evan's conception. The story centres around Evan's parents then.....never seeing each other again.....WHAT!? The scene where they are getting split up makes next to no sense, and them never being able to find each other ever again especially in a world where social media rains supreme and they were supposed to be FAMOUS just seems ridiculous to me! Long story short, the kid finds and uses his talent for music (which is kinda well integrated with the story) to find his parents again. The story is basically a fairytale brought into reality, which I like. Sadly, at points, the story suddenly skips around, which can lead to confusion. At the end, I was simply starring at the screen in awe, completely oblivious to what was going on. The main character, Evan, was leading the orchestra, WITH NO BUILD-UP WHAT SO EVER!!! Touching though it may be, I needed SOME build up, or explanation or anything! The acting is okay for a big budget movie, in fact, it's sort of good in general, so I don't have much to say on that. Before I get into the main positives and negatives though, I'd like to tell you about a little...nope, big...nope, huge...nope, COLOSSAL nitpick I've had over the years about this movie. Evan can play ANY instrument of ANY kind without ANY experience, ANY practise, or even ANY knowledge of it! The worst part of this instrument factor is this movie's weird lack of knowledge for guitars.
    1) You cannot play a guitar by slapping it the way Evan does.
    2) For some reason, at the beginning, a guitar makes harmonica noises.
    When it comes to the overall product, I'll start with some of the positives. The movie has some catchy music here and there, and it has some really nice shots. I'm gonna call a win for the director of photography and head director here! Finally, The movie is paced at a perfectly decent rate (minus random jumps and confusing edits). However, the negatives include a somewhat confusing script, laughable acting at times (though this is rare, and I know I said it was usually good before), and the fact that by the time ten minuets has elapsed, there are still freaking title cards playing! Okay, this review has gone on long enough, so it's time to wrap it up. I know I was a bit controversial with with my "Pay it Forward" review, since I know a fair amount of people really like it, (and yes, I admit it had a good moral, apart from the dying part.) and I know I'm probably going to be a bit controversial with this too, even though most critics seem to dislike both movies. "August Rush" has some good, some bad, and some okay. Simply put, decent for those who like this genre, and probably not decent for others.

R.I.P Robin Williams
  3. Mar 11, 2015
    One of the worst movies I have ever seen. I watched this because it feature the excellent Keri Russell from "The Americans", but she was very poor in this film; even Robin Williams' performance was boring. The music in the movie with the exception of a burst of Elgar was quite hideous. Avoid at all costs.

1. Reviewed by: Angie Errigo
    Unapologetically preposterous, but it is a (very sweet) fairy tale and Highmore is captivating.
  2. The story is about musicians and how music connects people, so the movie's score and songs, created by composers Mark Mancina and Hans Zimmer, give poetic whimsy to an implausible tale.
  3. Reviewed by: Jay Weissberg
    Only auds immune to diabetic rushes should head for August Rush, though tolerant parents wanting wholesome entertainment for the kids will like it for its repetitive encouragement of creativity.