Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation | Release Date: December 18, 2009
Generally favorable reviews based on 3072 Ratings
2,197
Watch Now
EpicLadySpongeJan 12, 2016
It's only a matter of time before this movie gets beaten by Star Wars: The Force Awakens at the box office worldwide after all the work this movie did to beat Titanic's record. I don't really understand all the hate for this movie. I thoughtIt's only a matter of time before this movie gets beaten by Star Wars: The Force Awakens at the box office worldwide after all the work this movie did to beat Titanic's record. I don't really understand all the hate for this movie. I thought it was fine. Expand
SpangleJun 5, 2016
A truly marvelous and magical experience, Avatar is a feast for the eyes, plain and simple. While the story is a familiar one, it is expertly told and very well written. The acting is solid and works well in the film. The direction from JamesA truly marvelous and magical experience, Avatar is a feast for the eyes, plain and simple. While the story is a familiar one, it is expertly told and very well written. The acting is solid and works well in the film. The direction from James Cameron is inspired and matches the expansive and daring chances taken in the visual storytelling of the film. However, the true stars are the visual effects team who do a truly phenomenal job to bring this story to life. With breathtaking visual effects and fantastic cinematography, Avatar comes to life through the visuals and breathes new life into a familiar, yet incredibly engaging, storyline. Due to this visual plethora of eye candy, Avatar reaches new levels never seen before in film that really elevates the film as an overall piece. While many leave Avatar feeling underwhelmed due to the now familiar use of CGI, 3D, and the bland story, I was left awestruck. While the visuals have led to a new trend in film, of which Avatar was the first, its effects hold up and, honestly, may still be the best use of its effects to date. A wonderous achievement, Avatar is a truly phenomenal work. Expand
TheQuietGamerMar 9, 2011
I honestly don't understand all the hype behind this, the story never really grabbed me and the characters weren't interesting, however I will give them credit for creating a unique alien movie as opposed to every aliens are invading movieI honestly don't understand all the hype behind this, the story never really grabbed me and the characters weren't interesting, however I will give them credit for creating a unique alien movie as opposed to every aliens are invading movie that has been done over and over again, but it's still not that great, an ok movie from beginning to end. Expand
Compi24Sep 7, 2015
Barring the by-the-numbers story, James Cameron's "Avatar" retains a supreme amount of imaginative prowess, accentuated by superior CGI/mo-cap work and a knockout score from James Horner.
MovieGuysMar 24, 2014
Avatar is an amazing visual spectacle to look at, and is pretty much the definition of eye candy. But, the movie distracts you with the beautiful scenery while it lacks enough story to fill its own shoes.
beingryanjudeSep 1, 2014
After taking nearly four years to finally see this film, I am quite impressed. The story may verge on Dances with Wolves but it is still a powerful one and so beautifully shown.
Meth-dudeMay 17, 2015
The special effects were amazing but the acting performances and the length of the film are the week spots.Sam Worthington tries but he is not good enough to be the main character.
Tss5078Feb 24, 2013
People bashed it cause it was a big budget film and the focus of the previews and reviews were on the special effects, however this is one of the best sci-fi movies ever made, filled with hidden messages and real implications for our future.People bashed it cause it was a big budget film and the focus of the previews and reviews were on the special effects, however this is one of the best sci-fi movies ever made, filled with hidden messages and real implications for our future. If you refuse to see it because it was a highly publicized blockbuster, than you are an idiot! Expand
csw12Mar 24, 2012
To simply put it Avatar is the most beautiful movie i have ever seen. the visuals are stunning and the story is good enough. Avatar will not be matched in the techinal world of movies for a very long time. a truly stunning spectacle
grandpajoe6191Sep 10, 2011
Despite "Avatar"'s heavy plot, Blockbuster king James Cameron impresses us with fantastic visuals and CGI of the Na'vi and human battle scenes in (Le Gasp!) 3D.
imthenoobJan 24, 2012
Visually, Its extremely impressive and I was shocked that James Cameron didnt win the oscar for best director because of the visual effects in the film and the ground breaking use of CGI as well. However, The film sucks. The acting isVisually, Its extremely impressive and I was shocked that James Cameron didnt win the oscar for best director because of the visual effects in the film and the ground breaking use of CGI as well. However, The film sucks. The acting is terrible, the plot not only sucks but is a complete rip off of Dances With Wolves, and its incredibly boring (I was only entertained in 3 very short parts in the entire film). Sorry but the visuals can only get you so far in my book and this film just doesnt cut it imo. Expand
cameronmorewoodNov 8, 2012
A great vision, with more than excellent visual effects, some of the best I've ever seen in fact. Despite this, the film drones on for the last hour with battle sequences. If you're not a hardcore sci-fi action fan, it'll put you to sleep.
CineAutoctonoAug 1, 2015
We can say that this movie is incredible therefore raised 2.7 billion do not expect to create an award-winning movie , James Cameron great job as well as in Titanic and Terminator is now attacking once more with Avatar .
Trev29Sep 3, 2012
The movie wasn't half bad, but the visuals were about the only thing it could conger up. Script and acting were below par completely and the movie seemed too cliche.
TokyochuchuSep 17, 2012
Avatar is a really mixed bag. It's good points are awesome; Sci-fi on a grand scale, fantastic action sequences and a return to the colonial marines aesthetic of Aliens. It's bad points are equally annoying, though; It's overwrought in theAvatar is a really mixed bag. It's good points are awesome; Sci-fi on a grand scale, fantastic action sequences and a return to the colonial marines aesthetic of Aliens. It's bad points are equally annoying, though; It's overwrought in the extreme, it has a paint-by-number script and commits wholesale theft from Dances With Wolves. Ultimately, however, Avatar scores an inevitable victory from the simplest of notions. It makes us want to see the bad guys take a monster ass-whooping! Expand
BroyaxApr 5, 2017
Quand je pense que James Cameron, c'était Aliens, Abyss, les 2 Terminator... et puis le naufrage a commencé avec Titanic (chiant comme la pluie et convenu) et cette farce avec Avatarte... plus tarte, plus niais, tu meurs ! Qui a produit ceQuand je pense que James Cameron, c'était Aliens, Abyss, les 2 Terminator... et puis le naufrage a commencé avec Titanic (chiant comme la pluie et convenu) et cette farce avec Avatarte... plus tarte, plus niais, tu meurs ! Qui a produit ce film ? Disney ?!... c'est dégoulinant comme la petite maison dans la prairie, les pauvres **** indigènes bleus neuneus, oh la la je vais écraser une larme... Et c'est long comme une sieste de 3 plombes et même les effets spéciaux sont à la ramasse : on a toujours cette impression de se taper un mauvais dessin animé... Expand
ZilcellNov 11, 2011
Amazing special effects! Some people don't like the story of this film but I do. It is very fun and it was worth it to see this movie. The large budget really shows that a lot of work was put into this movie
JacobDec 22, 2013
If you see this in 3D you will constantly be amazed the fantastic visuals and 3D effects. Avatar is an amazing looking film that will impress everyone, However, if you are looking for amazing characters and story it is not in this film. TheIf you see this in 3D you will constantly be amazed the fantastic visuals and 3D effects. Avatar is an amazing looking film that will impress everyone, However, if you are looking for amazing characters and story it is not in this film. The story and characters are unoriginal being recycled and two-dimensional. So a lot of whether or not you will enjoy this movie will depend on how much those to aspects matter. If you just want to see amazing visuals you’ll have a great time being blown away by this movie and forgetting for most/all of the movie how unoriginal the characters and story are. However, if characters and story matter a lot to you, you will be disappointed in this film as they are recycled from countless other films. For me I really enjoyed the visuals and they kept my interest throughout the film. The eh characters and story only took me out sometimes. So overall I enjoyed Avatar although I don’t think its great. However, the amazing 3D make this one worth a watch. Expand
oxanaAug 24, 2014
One of the best movies I've seen this year - and one of the best movies I've seen overall.

The story leaves little to imagination in both good and the bad: there's nothing overly surprising in the plot itself, but it has just about every element when it comes to action, drama, adventure, sci-fi and fantasy.

The elements in the movie complete each other; the colors, the music, the language, the story, the characters, and the overall feeling that goes from beginning to end.

Although tragic in places, this movie gives you a happy feeling of victory and success. It has a story of survival and acceptance, approval and discovery. Worlds and cultures clash, and that is the main theme. The romance, for once, did not make me want to throw up or roll my eyes, which is an achievement in and on itself; it came naturally with the course of the movie.

This is a five star movie, but I felt as if something was missing. Perhaps it was the element of surprise. Also, some of the characters were introduced in the fly - something that happens fairly often in movies - and were left a bit shallow because of that (Michelle Rodriquez's character Trudy to name one).

And while it didn't confuse me, they didn't much explain how Avatars work in relation to their drivers. I didn't need further explanations on that area, but I'm sure there are people who are interested in the limits and correlation of the two.
MovieLonely94Jun 11, 2011
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A young man named Jake Sully takes his late brother's place in a mission on a distant world of Pandora. There he learns that Parker Selfridge wants to drive the native humanoid Na'vi in order collect all the material throughout. In exchange for his legs, Jake helps his new friends use their avatar identities find the Na'vi, but he gets lost along the way and finally finds the tribe. As he begins to bond with the tribe and falls in love with the beautiful blue alien, Neytiri, little does he know that Colonel Quaritch determines the destroy the Na'vi as he rallys up the tribe for an epic war for the fate of Pandora.

I caught this in the same month it came out in 3D and was really amazed by it. Then a few months later, I saw it again in 2D that time and enjoyed it again.

I've been told by a lot of people that this movie plagerized Dances with Wolves, Pocahontas, The Last Samurai, and Ferngully: The Last Rainforest, but that doesn't apply the fact that this is different from the others. IMO, for a action/science fiction and a love movie, I liked it and I called it "One of the best movies ever made" and if some of you hate it for its plagerism, that's fine.

As for the rest of this movie, I liked a lot about it. The acting was excellent, the storyline was well-pace and put together, the visuals were very awesome to look at even though its not from Industrial Light and Magic and Sony Imageworks, the science was very interesting, the action scenes were unique and epic, and the James Horner music score (pop song "I See You" included) was memorable and had a lot of emotion to it which makes it even more memorable. Oh, and James Cameron's directing was very neat and creative, so that's worth saying much.

Avatar is James Cameron's highest grossing movie and it is in no doubt one of the best action/science fiction movies ever made. Can't wait for the sequels. Keep up the good work, James.

FuturedirectorMar 18, 2016
Avatar shows how bad is human talking about many senses, looking on the human crucial virtues and the violence that we can make. Wars, science-fiction, terrific story-telling and a great plot so far, it's what makes Avatar the most successfulAvatar shows how bad is human talking about many senses, looking on the human crucial virtues and the violence that we can make. Wars, science-fiction, terrific story-telling and a great plot so far, it's what makes Avatar the most successful film ever, with money, of course. Expand
heyitsmegrif4Dec 19, 2011
Most critics have just praised it for its just stunning visual effects and 3D effects, but I find its story to be incredibly powerful and moving with just enough emotional depth added in there. I give this film 93%.
worleyjamersFeb 24, 2013
For sure one of the best action/sci-fi movies ever. It's so emotionally engaging, so mindbogglingly(?) epic, nothing compares to the epic awesomeness of this film. As I'm sure you can tell, I love this movie.
There are way to many people
There are way to many people that simply "like" this movie and I don't get how that's possible. It's great in almost every way. Second, just because a film has similar theme and plot element as other films (Pocahontas, Dances With Wolves), does not mean it's automatically unoriginal? I see the similarities between the films, but it doesn't bother me. Why? Because this is a brilliant film. So what if it is, Avatar has created it's own little world when it comes to film. Nothing compares to the visual effects, graphics, and action. I don't think people realize that; Avatar has revolutionized cinema!
StevenFMar 12, 2013
Visual masterpieces with a thrilling story and unbelievable mastery in filmmaking rarely come along, but director James Cameron has simply (well, not simply) defined the open era of cinema with this stunning and original masterpiece that hasVisual masterpieces with a thrilling story and unbelievable mastery in filmmaking rarely come along, but director James Cameron has simply (well, not simply) defined the open era of cinema with this stunning and original masterpiece that has set the benchmark for years to come.
12 years is a long time out of the directors chair, but for Cameron this was necessary to create his vision for perfection, for technology to catch up on his dream, and boy oh boy was the wait worth it.
Cameron's epic tale is a war story of sorts, set in perhaps a not too distant future when humans have basically used up all resources on earth, and have sent many soldiers and scientists to the moon of Pandora, a distant planet in an entirely different star system.
Jake Sully (Sam Worthington) is our paraplegic hero, a former marine who is sent to replace his deceased twin brother as a Na'vi hybrid, or "Avatars". These are created using human DNA and the DNA of the native tribe of Pandora, the Na'vi. Jake is soon tasked with infiltrating the tribe as a mole in a bid for them to give up the location of unobtanium, a precious mineral which can be used on earth.
Without going into too much more of the story, this film is beautiful, stunning and is a breakthrough in modern technology in cinema, the world of Pandora which Cameron has created never looks overly CGI, it looks, well, real, quite an impressive feat, the rumoured $300 million budget has been put to good use.
What is most impressive, however, is the cinematography Mauro Fiore, who has superbly collaborated with Cameron to create an alternate universe to get lost and to fantasise about other worlds.
To put this up against some of the best epic films of our time, the Star Wars franchise, Lord of the Rings and even Cameron's own Titanic, Avatar can proudly sit amongst if not above them, Star Wars was a franchise that had already made its market, LOTR were already a set of books and Titanic was a real life event, Avatar is a completely original concept, with obvious similarities to other films, but it is truly remarkable the scale and size of this film which was unsurprisingly over a decade in the making, but is not appreciated in its fullest to what has been achieved, a true mile stone, a technological and cinematic anomaly.
Only question and drawback I had from this film was simply...why did it have to end?
homer4presidentMar 11, 2015
James Cameron makes a triumphant return to the box office with Avatar. Avatar is the highest-grossing film of all time and it's not a surprise. The film is a futuristic western that showcases the best CGI, cinematography, and action thatJames Cameron makes a triumphant return to the box office with Avatar. Avatar is the highest-grossing film of all time and it's not a surprise. The film is a futuristic western that showcases the best CGI, cinematography, and action that Hollywood has to offer. Although the story is pretty predictable and borrows many elements from other movies such as Pocahontas, it still manages to keep the audience engrossed in Avatar's spectacular universe. The superlative visuals in this film are absolutely breathtaking. The beautiful creature designs, environments, and action sequences take CGI to an entirely new level. Cameron has created a wonderful universe to expand upon in future sequels. Although Avatar is not perfect, it is definitely the best eye candy ever made. Expand
HalfwelshmanJun 15, 2011
It may be a long while before another cinematic experience as involving as this emerges. In 3D it is absolutely breath-taking. Though I'm not generally a fan of this latest craze (there have been very few examples of well-used 3D), AvatarIt may be a long while before another cinematic experience as involving as this emerges. In 3D it is absolutely breath-taking. Though I'm not generally a fan of this latest craze (there have been very few examples of well-used 3D), Avatar really does show the technology's potential. You are transported to a completely believable alien world - you can almost feel Pandora's air on your face. The environmental message, while not by any means new, is presented convincingly, and with aplomb. Sam Worthington also proves himself as a credible leading man. The plot is uncreative, however - let's be honest, it's Pocahontas in space. And why "unobtainium", Jim, why? Cliched and with a couple of missteps it may be, but by God Avatar is a thing of beauty. Expand
Rox22Sep 11, 2013
Visually it is utterly breathtaking. Special effect are some of the best to date. Then again it's Cameron, can we expect any less?!

Visuals aside it really isn't to much to brag about. This story has been told countless times before, the only difference is that this time it's big blue aliens. Performances are decent all around, but nothing too spectacular. I feel that Hollywood must have a standard contract clause that obligates Sigorney Weaver to start in any and every Sci-fi (or creature) movie. All hail the Queen of Weird.

Overall:
Avatar has been blown out of proportions by the general media and the casual moviegoer and isn't as grand as it pretends to be. It's a simple story that follows a traditional story arc to a predictable end. Don't get me wrong I still thoroughly enjoyed, I just don't see it as anything more than it is. A good movie with kick ass effects.
bfoore90Mar 6, 2017
Once you get past the enriched environments, brilliant use of CGI and 3D filming, you find that Avatar is a so-so film that is essentially "Pocahontas" in space with blue aliens and marines instead of Indians and pilgrims.
diogomendesDec 17, 2014
It may sport more visual than substance, but "Avatar" -- thanks to James Cameron's directing -- is still a satisfying 3D movie despite its formidable length.
SEROJSep 3, 2016
What the heck is wrong with some of the people here? Do you know how hard it is to make a movie like this, which in my opinion had great characters, good message even though it was a rip-off from Pocahontas. A big bow to all people involvedWhat the heck is wrong with some of the people here? Do you know how hard it is to make a movie like this, which in my opinion had great characters, good message even though it was a rip-off from Pocahontas. A big bow to all people involved in this visual masterpiece! Great CGI, superb combat and overall a 10/10 that i dont usually give often Expand
MasterRileyJul 23, 2016
While definitely overrated, Avatar is still a really great movie. Its got great writing, great casting, great performances, great cinematography, great music, great action, and above all - spectacular CGI. It raised the bar in 2009 for whatWhile definitely overrated, Avatar is still a really great movie. Its got great writing, great casting, great performances, great cinematography, great music, great action, and above all - spectacular CGI. It raised the bar in 2009 for what was capable for special effects and 3D technology. Definitely watch it if you have not already. Expand
OfficialNov 3, 2013
"Avatar", directed by James Cameron, is a magnificent intense sci-fi spectacle. The movie is well-shot, has beautiful landscapes and spectacular use of CGI. Anyone who watched "The Matrix" will find this movie somehow similar.
RayzorMooseNov 15, 2013
Avatar collides.
With absolutely fantastic special effects and an okay script, Avatar succeeds with blazing success. Good acting, fair dialogue, and astounding visuals. The plot holes are prevalent, but the movie itself is with good execution.
Iky009May 18, 2013
Great visual effects, film and mounted with a spectacular photography and a magnificent art direction and stunning views, but their enrendo is not the best yet it is still a great movie.
RikiegeFeb 15, 2013
The movie is good, but not so good for me. The film serves only to see it once and then forget about it.
FreedomFightersNov 22, 2016
WARNING: As this film has had an interesting reputation, many people will disagree with this review and I'm perfectly okay with that. All I ask is that you please be respectful of my opinion, just as I am respectful of yours. Please, andWARNING: As this film has had an interesting reputation, many people will disagree with this review and I'm perfectly okay with that. All I ask is that you please be respectful of my opinion, just as I am respectful of yours. Please, and thank you. Now, let's begin.
I've been circling back to "Where the Wild Things Are" quite a few times lately, but let me circle back to it one more time. As I mentioned before, the end of 2009 graced us with a few incredibly polarizing films. "Where the Wild Things Are" (is it a brilliant portrayal of childhood or a weird, boring, creepy film?), "Michael Jackson's This Is It" (is it an honest portrayal of Michael and his concert or a ploy to make money?), and "A Christmas Carol" (does the visual splendor make it worth watching, or is it too overwhelming?) helped create some interesting conversation pieces at the end of the year (I've also heard that "2012" was polarizing, but I can't really speak for it, as I haven't seen the film). However, one film was more polarizing than all the rest, and that was box-office sensation "Avatar." Were the groundbreaking visuals and revolutionary 3D enough to make the film great? Or was it another case of style over substance? Does it deserve to be the highest-grossing film of all time worldwide? Or is there no logical explanation as to how/why that could've happened? Was it worth the hype? It's a matter of personal taste, but I personally believe that it was worth the hype. It's brilliantly-crafted, it's exciting and it's memorable, and while the story isn't the most original, breathtaking thing ever, somehow the movie is still so engrossing even without a highly-original script or original characters. The characters themselves are actually quite memorable, and the film actually has some pretty interesting themes to it in regards to politics, culture and religion. There's also so much that can be interpreted from the film, which I think is part of why it works: you can make a lot of things out of this film and a lot of those things make sense. Even for a film that started production in the 1990s, "Avatar" is a worthy conversation piece and a wonderful film overall. It's not for everyone, and a ton of people will definitely voice their displeasure with the film, which is perfectly fine, but in my opinion, "Avatar" is a great film and a very memorable experience.
ERG1008Aug 19, 2010
Mining Corporation after deposits on alien planet, team are sent down to inhibit the planet in native form via Avatar program, things go wrong, man befriends tribe, learns their ways, fights the evil corporate machine.
Competent yet cliched
Competent yet cliched sci-fi action fest which has plenty of thrills & spills over its 2 and a half hours.
The CGI is very well done, as are the action sequences with the big fight at the end the standout.
Where it does fall down is the awful dialogue, the ridiculous stereotypical militia & the story isn't exactly a new concept & pretty predictable.
dharmaJun 17, 2012
It's the number one blockbuster of all time. It used every inch of its over sized budget to create one of the most spectacular set of effects ever seen. Yet despite its crowing achievement, AVATAR is not Cameron's best works, too distilledIt's the number one blockbuster of all time. It used every inch of its over sized budget to create one of the most spectacular set of effects ever seen. Yet despite its crowing achievement, AVATAR is not Cameron's best works, too distilled for a more general audiences. Not as great as his classics such as Aliens or T2, but more palatable for the masses. At its heart, it's a love story told countless before. This simplicity allows it to become a film that transcend different cultures, but it is also its main weakness. Yet despite all that, it is still well acted and has pioneered technology that is currently influences other film makers today. Again, just like the Dark Knight, another blockbuster classic too populist for the OSCARS. Expand
spadenxDec 8, 2011
Easily the most overrated film of all time. Visually it loses its impressiveness rather quickly into the film and while it may look great in 3D, In 2D is rathers boring. Not to mention the film's plot is a rip off of Dances With WolvesEasily the most overrated film of all time. Visually it loses its impressiveness rather quickly into the film and while it may look great in 3D, In 2D is rathers boring. Not to mention the film's plot is a rip off of Dances With Wolves (Seriously check that out). Also the acting is rather disapointing and sometimes terrible. Overall its visually impressive in 3D but thats it. Expand
BradySmithJun 8, 2014
When I first saw Avatar in theatres a few years ago I was simply awestruck. It is without a doubt the most visually beautiful film ever made. The world of Pandora is as detailed and alive as any setting you'll ever find in a movie, andWhen I first saw Avatar in theatres a few years ago I was simply awestruck. It is without a doubt the most visually beautiful film ever made. The world of Pandora is as detailed and alive as any setting you'll ever find in a movie, and quite possibly even more so. The story may have been done many times before, but it's still very engaging. There are moments that are powerfully charged with emotion, the direction is flawless, and the scope and scale are both breathtaking. There is also an extremely resonant atmosphere throughout. James Cameron has created what is quite possibly his best film. It's an instant classic, full of deeply human and resonant emotion, groundbreaking visuals, and viscerally stunning action. My only real complaint is that the dialogue can be somewhat clunky, but the rest of the movie quickly sends this to the realm of nitpicking. Please choose to watch this instead the next time you even think of checking out one of the lousy Transformers sequels. Expand
DanBurritoSep 19, 2015
Avatar is a visual treat. But that's the only good thing I can say about it. The world of Pandora is a beautifully rendered world that's so brilliant looking you wish the movie's story was that good. But it's not. We've seen the entire movieAvatar is a visual treat. But that's the only good thing I can say about it. The world of Pandora is a beautifully rendered world that's so brilliant looking you wish the movie's story was that good. But it's not. We've seen the entire movie before- Dances with Wolves, Pocahontas, etc. I don't get why you'll pan some movies for being "great to look at but the story wasn't very good" when you acclaimed this despite having the same problem. The film just tries too hard to be smart but the only reason to watch it is to look at the pretty colours. Seriously, is this REALLY the same guy who made Terminator? Expand
MovieManiac83Apr 24, 2015
When his twin brother is killed, disabled ex-Marine Jake Sully is recruited to aid a mining expedition on the distant jungle moon of Pandora as only his DNA will bond with the alien hybrid body, known as an Avatar, that allows humans toWhen his twin brother is killed, disabled ex-Marine Jake Sully is recruited to aid a mining expedition on the distant jungle moon of Pandora as only his DNA will bond with the alien hybrid body, known as an Avatar, that allows humans to breathe the toxic air. With orders to infiltrate the Na’vi, Jake finds himself falling in love with native girl, Neytiri, and complications soon ensue…

Cameron seamlessly melds live action, computer-generated animation and 3-D technology. The motion-capture technique that dazzled in Lord of the Rings reaches a new level of proficiency, enabling more nuance in facial expressions.

But for much of the movie, that hardly matters. The scenes in Pandora — a planet with an Earth-like environment — are so breathtaking that the narrative seems almost beside the point.

An epic battle to drive the Na'vi from their land tests Jake's allegiance. At nearly three hours, the movie grows sluggish, especially during the protracted battle scene.

Overrated but enjoyable.
FilmVirtueMar 12, 2014
Like most of James movies, you can expect scenes of amazing animation and believable plots, but Avatar for me was one of the more boring films by Cameron. I know lots of people would disagree, but I expect that, but to be far I also expectedLike most of James movies, you can expect scenes of amazing animation and believable plots, but Avatar for me was one of the more boring films by Cameron. I know lots of people would disagree, but I expect that, but to be far I also expected more from the movie itself. Expand
Muskrat147Jul 14, 2016
Featuring state-of-the-art CGI/Motion-Capture effects, James Cameron's Avatar is not only a cinematic revolution, but a masterpiece, with wonderfully created set pieces, a brilliant score, and a stellar story-line that will surprise andFeaturing state-of-the-art CGI/Motion-Capture effects, James Cameron's Avatar is not only a cinematic revolution, but a masterpiece, with wonderfully created set pieces, a brilliant score, and a stellar story-line that will surprise and immerse audiences time and time again. Expand
ryancarroll88Aug 27, 2010
I had heard a lot about "Avatar" before seeing it, and the general complaint from most was the movie's lack of originality. Having seen the movie, I would agree that the premise is nowhere near unique, but to me originality shouldn't be theI had heard a lot about "Avatar" before seeing it, and the general complaint from most was the movie's lack of originality. Having seen the movie, I would agree that the premise is nowhere near unique, but to me originality shouldn't be the basis for judging the quality of a film. More than anything a truly great movie should be striking, and Avatar is precisely that. James Cameron used his budget ($237m) to create one of the most engrossing environments to ever grace the screen, and pushed the 3D technology (which I don't even like) to the limit. The result is pure spectacle; behind me in the movie theater there was a family with three children and throughout the 2 1/2 hours there were constant exclamations of "Wow!" and "Oohh!" I would have been slightly annoyed had I not realized I wanted to say the same things, and for a movie to revert a hardened critic like me to a world of pure escapist wonder, I have to give the film credit. Expand
gm101Sep 16, 2010
While I don't think it's the masterpiece everybody's talking about, I still liked it, despite Neytiri being annoying and Sam Wothington's mediocre acting. In fact, I actually saw it in 2d, not 3d!
wiiy71Dec 30, 2017
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
moonman1994Feb 10, 2013
Climatically beautiful, masterful use of 3D and amazing use of colors, and great computer animation. These aspects are the highlight of the film. If you get the opportunity to see Avatar on a movie theater screen then it is a must see due toClimatically beautiful, masterful use of 3D and amazing use of colors, and great computer animation. These aspects are the highlight of the film. If you get the opportunity to see Avatar on a movie theater screen then it is a must see due to it's brilliance on the big screen. However on the small screen much of this brilliance is less in the forefront and this allows you to see through how pretty it is and see how the story is really lacking. Avatar's story line is an unoriginal mishmash of different movies filled with uninspiring characters. Yes this movie will awe you with it's visual effects but if you're looking for a movie with a deep story Avatar is not it. the acting all an all was good and the story was not lacking at any fault of the actors. This movie is a typical James Cameron spectacle with little more than pretty scenery. Expand
smijatovAug 13, 2010
Avatar is definitely the best film of the year, and one of my favourite films ever.
Yes, the dialogue can be cheesy at times, but this film isn't about that: it's about visuals and about actions. And yes, a good film can be about those things, too. It definitely has some good ideas behind it (environmentalism, tradition, old ways of living vs modernisation) and those are definitely present in the film. The films biggest strength, though, is definitely its visual power. It is so moving and just makes you want to plant a tree, haha. It is just amazing. I'd highly recommend it to everyone.
Khunter4382Apr 28, 2011
A film that has captured a global audience, Avatar is nothing short of amazing. The effects are unbelievable, the story is arguably original enough, and the performances are good with Saldana giving the best. The film lacks in the scoreA film that has captured a global audience, Avatar is nothing short of amazing. The effects are unbelievable, the story is arguably original enough, and the performances are good with Saldana giving the best. The film lacks in the score department. While effective, I believe the score could have packed more of an emotional punch. While this film did not capture Best Picture, I think it is all the better for it. Avatar will be remembered far longer than The Hurt Locker. Cameron knows how to make movies that have widespread appeal and that's what making movies is all about. Expand
ArkonBladeAug 21, 2010
another good film from james camron . not as great as id hoped and some people have said but its still worth seeing . the main problems i have with this film is its presented in its trailors as this HUGE action film . when in reality thereanother good film from james camron . not as great as id hoped and some people have said but its still worth seeing . the main problems i have with this film is its presented in its trailors as this HUGE action film . when in reality there really isnt much action till the last 20 min . considering how long it is think they coulda packed abit more in . the story is entertaining although very predictable . the visuals are just out standing pandora really comes to life . the acting is ok i didnt really feel impressed by any one . its a entertaining film that most of the family can sit down and wach and have a fun time . Expand
mrdr4gonDec 15, 2017
Absolutely dire. The effects are not particularly that special, even for 2009 (though it does look pretty) and the story is a horribly executed retreat of a million other films that moves along at a snails pace. The dialogue is awful, theAbsolutely dire. The effects are not particularly that special, even for 2009 (though it does look pretty) and the story is a horribly executed retreat of a million other films that moves along at a snails pace. The dialogue is awful, the characters aren't memorable at all. A tremendous misfire. Expand
dev92Aug 25, 2012
The idea for the story and technology used to produce this film are both fantastic. However, it just becomes too boring and too predictable extremely quickly. The characters are so generic and the fact that it gets so much praise isThe idea for the story and technology used to produce this film are both fantastic. However, it just becomes too boring and too predictable extremely quickly. The characters are so generic and the fact that it gets so much praise is indicative of the way movie critics are now-a-days. It wasn't a poor film but it isn't one of the best films ever. It was simply a good film as most of them are. Expand
TheWalrus2000Mar 9, 2013
Truly Avatar was a mastermind. Was. Cameron gives the plot too many things to keep up with, not only that but it gives you an unpleasing run time that will leave you bored till the end. Now for the people who disageree with me and say its anTruly Avatar was a mastermind. Was. Cameron gives the plot too many things to keep up with, not only that but it gives you an unpleasing run time that will leave you bored till the end. Now for the people who disageree with me and say its an all time epic film your wrong. Watch it again and you'll realize how boring and forgettable the last battle of the movie was. So overall, this was a very exhausting film to watch. Expand
JonnyFendiJan 10, 2011
Ten years after TITANIC, People are waiting for James Cameron next project. AVATAR is Cameron ambitious project to explore the special effect better than ever. From his filmography, such as: ALIENS (1986), TERMINATOR (1984), TERMINATOR 2:Ten years after TITANIC, People are waiting for James Cameron next project. AVATAR is Cameron ambitious project to explore the special effect better than ever. From his filmography, such as: ALIENS (1986), TERMINATOR (1984), TERMINATOR 2: JUDGEMENT DAY (1991), TRUE LIES (1994), and TITANIC, we should not doubt Cameron resume. In 1997, TITANIC won 11 Oscars, to be equal with BEN-HUR (1959) as all-time best achievement in Academy Awards. Casts of AVATAR are: Sam Worthington, Michelle Rodriguez, Giovanni Ribisi, and Sigourney Weaver (who already became Fighter-woman Icon in Cameron ALIENS). Thiz movie has a unique story that reflects the originality of the script. While we were watching AVATAR, made us did not realized that 90% of the movie is actually animation. The technology itself has reached the new level of breakthrough. They definitely already set up the bar so high to be challenge in the coming years. The stunning moment that I like to watch over and over again is the night scene of forest landmark. The forest describe fills with unique plants shine and glow on surroundings. There is something mystique and beautiful about that scene. The great thing I like about AVATAR is that the theme about environmental issue is very strong. Overall, in my opinion, Thiz movie also had a tremendous hidden-philosophy inside about human need, environmental, and human heart. Like I said before, Open your eyes, The dream is over.. Close your eyes, It is still a dream. The Blue-man rocks!

Visit My Blog on JONNY'S MOVEE : http://jonnyfendi.blogspot.com
BarneyOnMTJan 5, 2016
WHAT I LIKED: A great and genuinely original idea for a big blockbuster - 'Avatar' succeeds on many levels. It explores some serious themes whilst still making you connect with the characters thanks to great acting and development. It's alsoWHAT I LIKED: A great and genuinely original idea for a big blockbuster - 'Avatar' succeeds on many levels. It explores some serious themes whilst still making you connect with the characters thanks to great acting and development. It's also visually stunning, being one of the rare films that aesthetically just makes all moviegoers very impressed
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: It's very long: too long for family viewing with younger children and almost too long even for adults - you feel like parts could have been cut without detrementing the overall experience. 'Avatar' is also quite confusing for first watching, but this length stops you from wanting to watch it twice.
VERDICT: A very impressive fleshed out but dragged out piece of film making from Cameron.
MichaelDDec 29, 2010
When I first watched this movie I was blown away. It is probably my favourite movie of all-time but then I seen it a second time and I kind of got a bit more bored than the last time I watched it. It's still a great movie though.
J-ShapAug 25, 2011
Those who love Avatar love it for its effects and visual design, and blame the others for not concentrating on that element like theyre supposed to. Those who hate Avatar hate it for its recycled story, lame characters, and laughableThose who love Avatar love it for its effects and visual design, and blame the others for not concentrating on that element like theyre supposed to. Those who hate Avatar hate it for its recycled story, lame characters, and laughable dialogue, and blame the others for not focusing on the elements that truly matter in any film. Well, both of those sides are right, and both of them can be validly argued. But, the latter side has a better point: Story and characters are what makes great cinema, not great looking effects. And, rather than using effects and images to tell a story (Blade Runner) or stir up interesting ideas (2001), Avatar is only interested in looking good. Expand
sil3nt_nickMar 24, 2013
James Cameron's thrilling film starring talented actors like Sam Worthington, Zoe Saldana and Sigourney Weaver will always remain a favorite to many of its viewers. Special effects were jaw-dropping and unbelievable.
EssenceOfSugarDec 28, 2011
This could have been a good movie if it wasn't such a junk food feast of special effects and lacking of plot. This movie could have been great, but it wasn't, as James Cameron is much more interested in plagarising from good plots andThis could have been a good movie if it wasn't such a junk food feast of special effects and lacking of plot. This movie could have been great, but it wasn't, as James Cameron is much more interested in plagarising from good plots and sticking a bunch of blue creatures and glittery fairy nonsense in it to make it look pretty. It's a shame the critics were either too confident in that this was going to go somewhere, or too scared to pipe up that it didn't. There are better movies out there that don't particularly seem to be popular with the critics. I am more than confident that this was not even worth the production it deserved, or the paper the tickets were printed on. There were aspects of the movie that I would have enjoyed, there were things I could of happily watched, but sadly it was blindingly obvious to me that the CGI and special effects were just part of the after effects I suffered when I came out of the cinema. Expand
MarkMusicMar 18, 2013
This is the number one movie of all time????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? Why? Because of the flashy special effects? Cause that was the only memorable thing from this movie other then the long 3This is the number one movie of all time????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? Why? Because of the flashy special effects? Cause that was the only memorable thing from this movie other then the long 3 hour experience first time watching it in a theater I feel asleep 1hr and 20 mins in. Next time watched it at home stopped at an hour, next week picked back up then stopped, then again I took me 4 times to watch the entire movie at home over a month long time period. Nothing special and certainly original. Save your money and watch a bootlegged version online or the real thing online. Expand
Viper8787Apr 21, 2014
In my opinion one of the most overrated movie of all time. The run time was almost 3 hours and there weren't enough entertaining scenes to keep me into it the whole time at all. I also though it took a little while to get going. And even theIn my opinion one of the most overrated movie of all time. The run time was almost 3 hours and there weren't enough entertaining scenes to keep me into it the whole time at all. I also though it took a little while to get going. And even the action scenes were below par to my standards not awful by any means but not as good as everyone says or as I had hoped for. The one thing it had for it was great visual effects and that is why it even gets up to 5 out of 10 for me. Expand
tjman09Mar 10, 2015
I like Avatar, because it boasts stunning visuals, and invites the audience to an unbelievable world that looks great. That being said the plot is anything but original, you can compare the plot to Ferngully, Dances With Wolves, Pocahontas,I like Avatar, because it boasts stunning visuals, and invites the audience to an unbelievable world that looks great. That being said the plot is anything but original, you can compare the plot to Ferngully, Dances With Wolves, Pocahontas, and many other films, on top of that the characters are plucked out of those films to, so while it's visually stunning, Avatar is in my opinion not a great film, but still a good film. Expand
aaronpaul121May 25, 2012
The visual effects are fantastic but there are certain points in the film that the characters are a little over-the-top. The story is original but a little bit boring. The acting is sometimes good and sometimes weird. This is certainly notThe visual effects are fantastic but there are certain points in the film that the characters are a little over-the-top. The story is original but a little bit boring. The acting is sometimes good and sometimes weird. This is certainly not James Cameron's best, but a solid one though Expand
Spielberg00Aug 23, 2011
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. AVATAR (or, as some seem to enjoy calling it, "The Blue People Movie", which really should be THE SMURFS, not this) is an adventurous, intense movie, and the best movie you can think of to be the highest-grossing film, both worldwide and in America. Very few parts of this actually truly ticked me off, but there were a few to name: such as near the ending, when it began to get boring (a habit many creative sci-fi films such as even INCEPTION get into); and when Grace (Sigourney Weaver) died. Expand
Potter17Dec 9, 2011
The storyline may not reach the genius-level of its technical part but, "Avatar" is deeply absorbing and benefits from Cameron's visionary direction and a strong performance by Zoe Saldana.
SythusRATINGSOct 18, 2014
Jake Sully is a former Marine confined to a wheelchair. But despite his broken body, Jake is still a warrior at heart. He is recruited to travel light years to the human outpost on Pandora, where a corporate consortium is mining a rareJake Sully is a former Marine confined to a wheelchair. But despite his broken body, Jake is still a warrior at heart. He is recruited to travel light years to the human outpost on Pandora, where a corporate consortium is mining a rare mineral that is the key to solving Earth's energy crisis. Because Pandora's atmosphere is toxic, they have created the Avatar Program, in which human "drivers" have their consciousness linked to an avatar, a remotely-controlled biological body that can survive in the lethal air. These avatars are genetically engineered hybrids of human DNA mixed with DNA from the natives of Pandora... the Na'vi. Reborn in his avatar form, Jake can walk again. He is given a mission to infiltrate the Na'vi, who have become a major obstacle to mining the precious ore. But a beautiful Na'vi female, Neytiri, saves Jake's life, and this changes everything. Jake is taken in by her clan, and learns to become one of them, which involves many tests and adventures. As Jake's relationship with his reluctant teacher Neytiri deepens, he learns to respect the Na'vi way and finally takes his place among them. Soon he will face the ultimate test as he leads them in an epic battle that will decide the fate of an entire world. Expand
davenbettridgeNov 8, 2011
The best movies don't make the most money and Avatar is the best example of a movie held back from being a deeper and more original film to be more appealing to a wider audience and make more money. The movie is well crafted, having stunningThe best movies don't make the most money and Avatar is the best example of a movie held back from being a deeper and more original film to be more appealing to a wider audience and make more money. The movie is well crafted, having stunning visual design and an entertaining (enough) story, but James Cam is smarter than what this movie actually is and has deliberately held off from making a more original, truly entertaining, and deep science fiction movie. The light science fiction themes the movie does have are good and relevant in our digital age of internet avatars, I just wished they did more with them. The movie is what it is, it is fun and worth a watch, but is only half as good as it could have been. Expand
ExKingApr 4, 2013
I'm not really a fan of big budget movies except for Titanic i think having a big budget movie will make it hard to maintain the story and the actors performances and aside from the fact that this movie in 3D i think James Cameron did aI'm not really a fan of big budget movies except for Titanic i think having a big budget movie will make it hard to maintain the story and the actors performances and aside from the fact that this movie in 3D i think James Cameron did a spectacular job with the visual effect and all that technological stuff but is the story solid NO is the performances good NO is the performance by Sam Worthington the leading actor memorable Hell NO he can't act so we left with nothing good and memorable also the story is unstable and messy so for me a solid 6 out of 10 fit to this movie. Expand
lovemusicMay 20, 2011
yea it was fantastic. it was an epic. it had great special effects. the story was lacking. but the overall movie was good. the action scenes were great. it was decent. it had a lot of political overtones in it. which were necessary
PaxsterOct 16, 2010
Avatar delievers with the 3D effects and it really did feel like you were in another world from my point of view but the storyline really dissapointed me, I found it generic and very,very obvious. I guess, mostly the film is really about theAvatar delievers with the 3D effects and it really did feel like you were in another world from my point of view but the storyline really dissapointed me, I found it generic and very,very obvious. I guess, mostly the film is really about the out-of-this-world effects and the 3D and the storyline will suffer a bit, but,at points, Twilight was more original. I may be sounding a bit harsh but I just expected a bit more. It was good,but not excellent and not a 10/10. Expand
JohnnyStephensAug 30, 2013
Epic. I really liked it!! James Cameron is the best film director ever. The 3D was amazing and the special effects too!! Do not miss it! Simply amazing!!
YoursTrulyNov 9, 2012
As I once heard it put: "A sight to behold. A story to forget".
GagaForGhibliJun 3, 2012
Simply Amazing!
In The Top 3 Movies Of 2009!
potatoes351Aug 29, 2012
Avatar is the magical work of the cinematic genius that is James Cameron, the man behind The Terminator and Aliens. Jake Sully is a marine who was injured in battle and left paralysed from the waist down. After his brothers untimely deathAvatar is the magical work of the cinematic genius that is James Cameron, the man behind The Terminator and Aliens. Jake Sully is a marine who was injured in battle and left paralysed from the waist down. After his brothers untimely death Jake is invited to take up his brothers scientific pursuits on the planet Pandora as part of the Avatar program. After being separated from his group on a mission Jake is found by Neytiri, one of the Navi native to the planet. Neytiri trains Jake in the ways of the Navi as he falls in love with her and the planet around him. However the mining corporation stationed on Pandora have other plans for the planet, and so ensues a battle for survival, love and family. Avatar is more than just a visually stunning film with its amazingly realistic special effects, it makes the film feel alive and real. Avatar is a must watch film that should not be missed by anyone. Expand
FDT44Jan 2, 2011
"Avatar" is as visually intriguing as its impression on the viewer is enjoyable. Its contents make for a recipe that appeals, in atleast one respect, to critics of all facets of interest.
ViolettSep 14, 2015
This was awesome. Really outstanding. This is Crysis of movies, I will never forget when I watched this for the first time in IMAX, my mind got blown away - I really saw the future of cinema world. Today it might be not so bright as it was inThis was awesome. Really outstanding. This is Crysis of movies, I will never forget when I watched this for the first time in IMAX, my mind got blown away - I really saw the future of cinema world. Today it might be not so bright as it was in 2010, but five year ago this movie just kicked out! Expand
Film_Fanatic_15Nov 22, 2010
Words cannot describe the elements in this fabulous motion picture. The director, James Cameron, has set a new standard for CGI (computer-generated imagery) films. With elements such as Sci-Fi, Action, Romance, and Drama, EVERYONE must seeWords cannot describe the elements in this fabulous motion picture. The director, James Cameron, has set a new standard for CGI (computer-generated imagery) films. With elements such as Sci-Fi, Action, Romance, and Drama, EVERYONE must see this movie. I have seen 400+ films in my life, and never have I seen a film that was so well produced, a film that you couldn't resist cheering at the end, because you didn't want it to end. This film has the best special effects. No other film has used this type of CGI. This movie has broken a new barrier in the American film industry, just as visiting the moon for the first time. Well done Cameron, well done. Expand
sinadoomDec 26, 2013
3 hours of absolute drivel. I admire the fantastic visuals and the technology, animation, bright colours and scenery. But this is exactly what a movie SHOULDN'T be. It's the direct equivalent of games like Crysis 2; all about fancy graphics3 hours of absolute drivel. I admire the fantastic visuals and the technology, animation, bright colours and scenery. But this is exactly what a movie SHOULDN'T be. It's the direct equivalent of games like Crysis 2; all about fancy graphics but no real substance behind all the nice coat of paint. Avatar has some good action scenes and looks great as an advert for a HD TV, but as a movie it is a fail. Not only is it the most predictable movie I have ever seen, it's also the most disappointing. It seems like it was made to appeal to people that have no standards and will literally watch anything regardless of its story. If I want nice graphics, I buy a gaming PC and experience them first hand. If I watch a movie, I want to be entertained or engaged in a passive experience. There is no comedy, no moral, no philosophy, no story. The entire plot can be summarised in about 2 sentences. It portrays humans as the bad guys to appeal to people's emotions, but ignores reality. It's completely crap designed for people with low intelligence. Expand
kingshahidJul 26, 2011
I never understood the hype behind this movie. It had great special effects and plot (related to nature) and cast a shadow on how humans are diverging from this sync to nature. Although everything was great the hype for it was overrated. TheI never understood the hype behind this movie. It had great special effects and plot (related to nature) and cast a shadow on how humans are diverging from this sync to nature. Although everything was great the hype for it was overrated. The movie was nothing more special than any other movie. It was 4hrs long but I wouldn't say it got boring - it did lag at times though. As always it did have alien sexuality if thats what turns you on - maybe thats what got it hype. Expand
DibbHansenJul 18, 2013
Visually, this film dazzles and amazes. Story- this film is an overly preachy and overly long and an overblown film. I really didn't like it at all. My opinion. There you go. Oh and the 3D, made me sick.
cag11Nov 26, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Although it had a good plot, and somewhat decent graphics, the film was hard to sit through. First there was story, then a battle, then story, then a battle, and it kept going on for a while. The acting was okay for the most part, but there was so much CGI that it takes away from the story. Expand
SummersausageJan 5, 2013
This movie was a conglomeration of story lines that were boring the first time I saw them in Pocahontas and Titanic. It is a go- green movie that thrives due to its special effects but falls flat on every other aspect. This movie has risen toThis movie was a conglomeration of story lines that were boring the first time I saw them in Pocahontas and Titanic. It is a go- green movie that thrives due to its special effects but falls flat on every other aspect. This movie has risen to its predecessors of Push and Transformers. Expand
NikolayGDec 19, 2014
Kids will like this movie better than adults because the story is very hackneyed and cliched. Any adult will have seen it several dozen times already, so to see it again, in a long drawn out overly long movie, is as tedious as he!!. But kidsKids will like this movie better than adults because the story is very hackneyed and cliched. Any adult will have seen it several dozen times already, so to see it again, in a long drawn out overly long movie, is as tedious as he!!. But kids who have never seen any version of this story before, might like it. The story lacks any nuance. The good guys are the indigenous people without technology who worship a tree. The bad guys are the people from earth, who have lots of technology and calmly drink coffee in their helicopters while they blow the primitive people to smithereens from the air. Like someone else said, it is a 3 hour public service announcement. And it lacks any kind of character development.

And by late 2014 standards, the effects - the blue people - look absurdly fake and cartoonish. I can't believe today that people were impressed by this just a few short years ago. It is a visual joke.
SonicHD7May 31, 2017
On the lush alien world of Pandora live the Na'vi, beings who appear primitive but are highly evolved. Because the planet's environment is poisonous, human/Na'vi hybrids, called Avatars, must link to human minds to allow for free movement onOn the lush alien world of Pandora live the Na'vi, beings who appear primitive but are highly evolved. Because the planet's environment is poisonous, human/Na'vi hybrids, called Avatars, must link to human minds to allow for free movement on Pandora. Jake Sully (Sam Worthington), a paralyzed former Marine, becomes mobile again through one such Avatar and falls in love with a Na'vi woman (Zoe Saldana). As a bond with her grows, he is drawn into a battle for the survival of her world. Expand
JuanoloApr 2, 2012
First off, this would be a 10 out of 10. It's really good. Visuals and special effects are phenomenal. Theyre all amazing, and some of the best in filming. Score is really good. The story is also really good as well. The battle sequences areFirst off, this would be a 10 out of 10. It's really good. Visuals and special effects are phenomenal. Theyre all amazing, and some of the best in filming. Score is really good. The story is also really good as well. The battle sequences are epic. They're amazing. I'm happy this got 3 oscars, but I think this shouldve got more. Overall, this is an amazing scifi adventure that's a amazing movie. This is highly recommended. You should see it. Expand
RvwFromUpHereMar 1, 2017
No doubt a visual accomplishment, but let's be real, they are looking for a mineral called "unobtanium," this is the blockbuster thrill ride Middle-America has been waiting for their whole lives.
JawsLaxerDramaDec 24, 2012
Effects: Absolutely incredibly well done. Nothing bad to say about it.
Script: Eh, it was okay. Characters: Nothing is well developed (Titanic was the same way)
Plot: Nothing special, but not horrible. Pros: Visual treat that will have you
Effects: Absolutely incredibly well done. Nothing bad to say about it.
Plot: Nothing special, but not horrible.
Pros: Visual treat that will have you on your seat.
Cons: After 1 hour, you might get bored.
Diagnosis: It is worth seeing, but it's not the best movie ever.
Guilty Pleasure: No. It's not horrible.
NecromusDec 29, 2012
This movie is overrated but it still wasn't bad. The special effects were absolutely awesome. The 3D? imo -- unnecessary. I don't think I even noticed anything being in 3D after the initial few minutes of putting my glasses on. The 3DThis movie is overrated but it still wasn't bad. The special effects were absolutely awesome. The 3D? imo -- unnecessary. I don't think I even noticed anything being in 3D after the initial few minutes of putting my glasses on. The 3D technology was also inferior to the laser IMAX 3D films I saw in the late 90s, in those, things actually jumped out in the theater right in front of your seat, with this 3D technology? nope, things just kind of pop out a few feet in front of the screen only. The plot of the movie was okay, a not-so-subtle criticism of the Pentagon (you seen a pentagon around their map board) and/or Military Industrial Complex wanting to destroy the natural habitat of the indigenous people. This movie dragged a lot in parts though, it was longer than it needed to be, they should have cut out those dragging sections, it would have been much better then. Overall, amazing special effects and a mildly-entertaining movie. Worth seeing but doesn't live up to all of the hype. I give it an 8/10 Expand
ScorpionMay 28, 2013
the script may not be the most innovative or better hefty, but that is where the technical triumphs over the rest, with the effects that the film has another relatively talented cast, the film only presisava a story while doing the technicalthe script may not be the most innovative or better hefty, but that is where the technical triumphs over the rest, with the effects that the film has another relatively talented cast, the film only presisava a story while doing the technical part rest. Expand
Patrick94Jan 4, 2013
Most overrated movie in history. The only good thing about Avatar is the visuals. The world is pretty to look at but.. well, there's nothing there. The story is horrible, the characters annoying, and the scenarios they find themselves inMost overrated movie in history. The only good thing about Avatar is the visuals. The world is pretty to look at but.. well, there's nothing there. The story is horrible, the characters annoying, and the scenarios they find themselves in absolutely ridiculous Expand
hanneguacamoleMay 30, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Earth is overcrowded and certainly not a place I would choose to live in, but Avatar has a solution. Or perhaps a way to make money. Avatar is the highest-grossing film of all time and I can certainly see why. It had aspects that appeal to a lot of people with the mix of animation and live-action and the themes present throughout that definitely sparked conversation within. Jake Sully is a paralyzed marine that is easily set up as a hero from the start, and this story is about him and his (and human's effect on Pandora.

This mission is all a quest for wealth, and Jake knows this when he signs on. What he doesn't know is that he's gonna fall in love with the culture, the land, and the people. His journey would have never even happened without his love interest Neytiri's help. "Don't thank. You don't thank for this. This is sad only." The Na'vi people remind me of a human group or tribe that is being attacked as well, so I can certainly see the inspiration behind this movie, yet so many audience members probably do not agree with the standpoints shown, so it surprises me that it was such a hit. I am behind the messages shown though, so this kind of exposure has to be beneficial.

The plot overall seemed to be very predictable and a tad cliché, but it also made up for it in the striking visual effects and unique peoples portrayed. I imagine this would have been breathtaking in 3D with all of the sweeping landscapes and scenery. Jake's mission on Pandora was always to help the corporation trying to destroy the environment on this world, but eventually he finds himself to end up liking the Na'vi's world more, and who wouldn't? Their culture and environment is amazing and something that Earth has lost. I think the "rebels" see that and want to preserve this world from what happened to theirs. Jake's personal mission seems to have changed, but his employer's has not. He can't change their mind on an invasion, so he must do whatever he can to protect them on his own.

"I was a warrior who dreamed he would bring peace. Sooner or later though, you always have to wake up." Despite the fact that Jake feels like he belongs on Pandora, his body says otherwise and continues to prove himself through the battle. It's an uphill fight, but the Na'vi people prevail with a truly inspiring anti-war message that could resonate with all people. "Hey Sully, how's it feel to betray your own race?" And that's exactly what he does. In this horrible portrayal of some humans, Jake's decision to become a true Na'vi completely makes sense and successfully brings together this war-ridden story.
LaGuertaMar 8, 2013
Avatar is the poster child for 3D cinema yet its other qualities are distinctly one dimensional, apparently 200 million dollars can't buy you a good story. Anyone who watches this is in for a headache-inducing three hours that they will neverAvatar is the poster child for 3D cinema yet its other qualities are distinctly one dimensional, apparently 200 million dollars can't buy you a good story. Anyone who watches this is in for a headache-inducing three hours that they will never get back. Expand
JawsPapi87Aug 10, 2011
Despite almost being a spin off of Dances With Wolves, the ridiculously beautiful visuals, believable and likable characters, and successful good Vs. evil theme makes this movie one of 2009's best
CRLJul 26, 2011
This is the most overrated piece of cinema I've ever seen. All flash, no fire, Avatar combines the special effects of Transformers with a story ripped from Pocahontas and recycled a million time over. The only difference is that, instead ofThis is the most overrated piece of cinema I've ever seen. All flash, no fire, Avatar combines the special effects of Transformers with a story ripped from Pocahontas and recycled a million time over. The only difference is that, instead of Native Americans, they're giant blue people with tails. Sure, Pandora is a pretty cool place, but that and a bunch of 3D-inflated box office records are all this movie has going for it. Expand
AaronWasserman1Mar 27, 2016
Easily one of the most overrated movies of all time as well as directors of all time. Apart from stunning visual effects, Avatar lacks an interesting story. The movie also suffers from mediocre performances
roddersj04Jan 1, 2011
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'll admit, with all of the hype that surrounded this film, I was sceptical as to how good it could actually be, and was waiting for it to fail. Oh, how wrong was I? Avatar is a brilliant film. I saw this in 3D earlier this year, and in 2D just the other day, so I feel I can give a review that isn't biased with just one setting of the films view. I'll just clear the air, state the obvious here and leave it in the dust: The film in 3D is an AMAZING experience. The way in which you see these spectacles James Cameron has created, it will burn itself into your memory in a good way. 2D has you focus less on the spectacles and more on things like the story and the characters. Now, to the films actual review Avatar is the tale of Jake Sully, a soldier who takes over from his dead brother on a science project, which temporarily has his mind transferred into an Avatar body, to help the military in their quest to take a substance from Pandora (the planet). From there on, he lives amongst the Na'vi (the race the Avatar body is based upon) and begins doubting where his allegiance lies. I'll admit, the plot isn't anything complex or original. It's been done before, and you can basically guess where the plot's going to go. "They're gonna rebel" "His truth will be discovered" "He's gonna question his motives". And you knew they only introduced the Toruk so Jake could master it. Also, was I the only one who didn't like the guy playing the boss? I mean, he was great in Friends and My Name Is Earl, in comedy roles, but for something serious like this, it just didn't seem to suit him. And the oxygen on Pandora was toxic to the humans. How exactly does it work? Stephen Lang's character had quite a time of exposure to it (when chasing them escaping on the helicopter, when he shot Grace) and seemed fine. And Jake as well. He was exposed for an amount of time, possibly longer, and ended up fine. Anyway, thats the negatives out of the way. Now the positives The world of Pandora and its inhabitants was a marvel to behold, even in 2D. James Cameron has a very creative mind. Just look at all of the creatures, from the Hammerheads, to the four-armed monkeys. Not just that, the technology as well.How info could be moved from one screen to another with just a flick of the wrist, and the handcuffs. I'll say it again, James Cameron is one creative guy, with one hell of an imagination. Shame about his acceptance speeches, though..... The way CGI contrasted with the humans. It didn't seem to contrast much. When (Avatar) Jake was carrying Grace, it didn't seem like one big clash of reality and Computer Generated Images, they seamed together perfectly, like two pieces of a puzzle clicking together. I liked how the characters developed. How Grace went from a no-nonsense **** to how she was warm and a good friend to Jake and Norm. I especially liked how Norm changed from a goofy scientist to him punching out officers and joining in the big battle. The final battle: What a marvel! Just the contrast of the flying Dragons (or whatever they are) versus the gunships. Just basically how it was Nature VS Machinery. I think it's safe to say that there was no shortage of awesomeness within that battle. Shame Tsu'tey was killed off. Just as I was getting to like him. Once Jake first woke up in his Avatar, when he first went from standing up to running through the outdoors, I felt for him because in human form, he's confined to that wheelchair, but as a Na'vi, he's no longer confined. I also felt James Cameron placed some parallels for the Iraq war within the movie. One group going to another land in order to take something that they wish, resulting in a battle. And Stephen Lang! His turn as a villian is quite menacing, especially in the cold hearted way he just bombs the Tree, the home of the Na'vi. I felt that he was the perfect counterfoil for Sam Worthington's Jake Sully. All in all: It may seem like it mainly concentrates on the visuals, and it's plot development may be by numbers, but this is definately a film you must watch! Expand
MetalMan95Oct 28, 2010
Not totally blown away, but i was thoroughly entertained by it. But the film's strongest point is definitely the visuals. Pandora is beautiful and looks realistic. The story, though unoriginal, is still effective for this film. The dialogue,Not totally blown away, but i was thoroughly entertained by it. But the film's strongest point is definitely the visuals. Pandora is beautiful and looks realistic. The story, though unoriginal, is still effective for this film. The dialogue, is bad sometimes, and decent in others. Definitely not a strong point. But if this film needs people to root for, its easy to tell who. If you want 3 hours of great visuals and nothing else, this is your movie. Expand
juliankleissJan 7, 2011
The story is a Science Fiction adaption of Pocahontas. The movie shows that colonialism leads to the destruction of nature due to excessive exploitation of the land, and further to suffering of the native people due to the accompanyingThe story is a Science Fiction adaption of Pocahontas. The movie shows that colonialism leads to the destruction of nature due to excessive exploitation of the land, and further to suffering of the native people due to the accompanying displacement of them. Moreover, the movie supports a holistic world view, describing a harmonic interconnection between the indigenous people, flora and fauna. The natives live in harmony with animals and nature. At one point the War on Terror mentality is criticized, when the humans explain their attack as a means of protection from the "savages". However, they were the ones who stole natural resources from foreign soil and threatened the natives in the first place. Fascinating pictures, dramatic showdown. Expand
anshimanDec 11, 2012
Avatar, along with James Cameron, is a classic example of overrated media. Even though Avatar has its strong moments, and the undeniable visual candy that is omnipresent within the movie, its plot is tired, predictable and cliched. TheAvatar, along with James Cameron, is a classic example of overrated media. Even though Avatar has its strong moments, and the undeniable visual candy that is omnipresent within the movie, its plot is tired, predictable and cliched. The raconteur of gunfire, obvious native America references, disappointing dialogue and bitter aftertaste combine to form one of the most mediocre films by James Cameron, only being supported by the visuals. Expand