5.5

1. Oct 27, 2014
    The first part of Paul W.S. Anderson's Alien vs Predator leaves a sour taste in your mouth from bad acting and an absolutely absurd plot. But, when the bullets start flying and the predators and aliens are beating the hell out of each other, it is a really entertaining watch
  2. Aug 15, 2014
    ¿Alguien me puede decir que es tan malo sobre esta película? Soy un Gran fan de Aliens y Predators y no entiendo por que la odian tanto. He oído que es por que en los cómics en los que Alien y Predator tienen un crossover son muy buenos y que la película arruina la continuidad de los cómics. No se si los cómics son canon, y creo que no lo son, he visto las películas de Alien y Predator y¿Alguien me puede decir que es tan malo sobre esta película? Soy un Gran fan de Aliens y Predators y no entiendo por que la odian tanto. He oído que es por que en los cómics en los que Alien y Predator tienen un crossover son muy buenos y que la película arruina la continuidad de los cómics. No se si los cómics son canon, y creo que no lo son, he visto las películas de Alien y Predator y esta no contradice en nada ninguna de las películas. Cabe perfectamente en el universo de ambos, además de que nos muestra que los "Predator" ya conocían a los Xenomorfos y los usan para cazar desde hace siglos. Cabe bien y no arruina el origen de los Xenomorfos, aparte de que Prometeo no contradice nada aquí tampoco. Es una película buena aparte de que hay personajes memorables, pocos, pero algo es algo. Le doy un 06/10 es una película decente. Expand
  3. Jul 7, 2014
    Highly entertaining and re-watchable. As a fan of the AVP series I love seeing the idea come to life through live action. Great art designs and effects where the CGI really just adds to great miniatures and full scale animatronics and suits. Watching predators fight aliens... Gets better every time.
  4. Jun 21, 2014
    Alien vs. Predator: 5/10: Aliens check; Predators check; Space Marines; umm Space Marines? Okay who took out the Space Marines and put in this fodder.

Some surprise moments and some thrills but not nearly enough and AVP is over way to fast. Everything is speeded up and suspense is simply zero. Both the entire series of Alien movies and the first Predator film depended upon moments of silence to build up the suspense. (Nothing really happens at all of the first hour of Alien for example.)

This movie on the other hand moves so much like a video game you will be reaching for the controller. The Predators look okay but the Aliens are too cartoonish and seem to change size at random.

The plot and the back-story are simply inept. What is wrong with an alien Queen in the New York subway system or Predators fighting in Iraq? Heck putting them in an office block, cruise ship or shopping mall at Christmas would be preferable. (The Predators take out the Orange Julius while the Alien Queen makes her nest in Victoria Secret.)

The fun of aliens on earth is watching them walk into a Seven-Eleven and taking out some customers not fighting in a silly pyramid that could be on any planet in the universe.
  5. Jun 16, 2014
    I really don't think this movie is as terrible as critics' consensus because i know lots of people who say the same thing after watching Prometheus and comparing it to this film. Paul W.S Anderson may be, without question, literally not a good director (The Three Musketeer, Resident Evil) but we can't deny his decent, brave effort as he tries to create a story in which mankind is stuck inI really don't think this movie is as terrible as critics' consensus because i know lots of people who say the same thing after watching Prometheus and comparing it to this film. Paul W.S Anderson may be, without question, literally not a good director (The Three Musketeer, Resident Evil) but we can't deny his decent, brave effort as he tries to create a story in which mankind is stuck in the middle of a collision between two most notorious species from outer space, and i personally believe that he partially succeeds, although there are still a lot to be done so that AVP: Alien vs. Predator can get any better. I give this movie 7, higher than Prometheus, 5. Expand
  6. Jan 29, 2014
    Although it's not a classic or anything, Alien vs. Predator is still a whole lot of stupid, monster fighting fun. The movie even manages to add one really cool thing into the mythos. The film's maze-like pyramid is a great invention and has made some fun appearances in latter day videogames and fiction. Plus, If you can't enjoy the snowbound battle between the queen alien and predator thenAlthough it's not a classic or anything, Alien vs. Predator is still a whole lot of stupid, monster fighting fun. The movie even manages to add one really cool thing into the mythos. The film's maze-like pyramid is a great invention and has made some fun appearances in latter day videogames and fiction. Plus, If you can't enjoy the snowbound battle between the queen alien and predator then your inner child must be truly lost. Expand
  7. Jan 11, 2014
    Not as bad as it could have been. My big issue with AVP is that it is a quick film (90 minutes) and it does little to explain why the Predators use the Aliens for sport.
  8. Nov 26, 2013
    Originally I hated this movie but I watched it again and actually it's pretty decent oh yeah it's not good but not all of it was terrible it's got great cinematography, a decent amount of cgi, good practical effects, an amazing set, nice editing and awsome action. The story isn't good and some of the writing is very poor but it does give you 40 minutes worth of character development. SadlyOriginally I hated this movie but I watched it again and actually it's pretty decent oh yeah it's not good but not all of it was terrible it's got great cinematography, a decent amount of cgi, good practical effects, an amazing set, nice editing and awsome action. The story isn't good and some of the writing is very poor but it does give you 40 minutes worth of character development. Sadly there are no interesting characters except for the main character who at least is smart and takes charge and acts like a total badass. I also have to say that I like that they explain why the xenomorphs and the predators fight but again bad plot and story. But I could have forgiven so much if it weren't for one thing, they make the predator a good guy witch his bull because the predator has always been a villain yet they make him a super hero. Let me mention that the predators kill people for their skulls as trophies, they are asswholes ok jeez. And the ending isn't so great it's basically a sequel bate witch this movie managed to get with trust me isn't a pretty site. Collapse
  9. Jun 9, 2013
    Probably the biggest disappointment of all time. Very little Alien/Predator encounters and when there were they weren't well done at all. Just one heaping pile of trash.
  10. May 27, 2013
    It's horrible. I hate that Xenomorph and Predator fighting like Professional wrestling. This is like Terminator 3, hot sexy woman T-X fighting like Terminator 3. It was horrible. Even the T-X was male like body builder fighting like pro-wrestlers, I wouldn't like it. I just wanted human trying to survive from Alien and Predator. I didn't want Alien and Predator fight. I used to loveIt's horrible. I hate that Xenomorph and Predator fighting like Professional wrestling. This is like Terminator 3, hot sexy woman T-X fighting like Terminator 3. It was horrible. Even the T-X was male like body builder fighting like pro-wrestlers, I wouldn't like it. I just wanted human trying to survive from Alien and Predator. I didn't want Alien and Predator fight. I used to love Xenomorph, but now they look unrealistic. They look like the man is inside the costume. They walk like a human, their leg is too long, their body is like a human. I really liked the Alien looked little like Xenomorph from Prometheus. My favorite monsters are from Metro 2033.

I also, hated the huge giant Xenomorph. I hate monsters, robots that are tall as tower. Like Godzilla, Transformers. I like monsters, size of Velociraptor.
  11. Mar 17, 2013
    This has pretty much been butchered by fans of both franchises. Persobnally, I really enjoyed it. It had an interesting premise. Believable characters, great effects and some really cool action sequences. Granted is a bit corny in parts, and does go against canon a bit. Overall: As a standalone movie (forgetting the franchises completely) it is a good movie, and I do believe that is whatThis has pretty much been butchered by fans of both franchises. Persobnally, I really enjoyed it. It had an interesting premise. Believable characters, great effects and some really cool action sequences. Granted is a bit corny in parts, and does go against canon a bit. Overall: As a standalone movie (forgetting the franchises completely) it is a good movie, and I do believe that is what they were aiming at. Expand
  12. Feb 20, 2013
    Feels like a Classic, but it could've been better.
  13. Feb 20, 2013
    Bad...Basically every aspect of it...I waste no time to review this thing, you should not waste time watching it!
  14. Jul 5, 2012
    What a cool movie. Seriously. West Anderson does cool. And not much else. If you look down the list of films he's participated in they are all "cool." The funny thing is when I saw this movie in the theater I had no idea who this guy was. I just wanted to watch Aliens and Predators kicking each other's ass. And I was hoping not to leave the theater wanting to shoot myself, as I did afterWhat a cool movie. Seriously. West Anderson does cool. And not much else. If you look down the list of films he's participated in they are all "cool." The funny thing is when I saw this movie in the theater I had no idea who this guy was. I just wanted to watch Aliens and Predators kicking each other's ass. And I was hoping not to leave the theater wanting to shoot myself, as I did after Alien Resurrection.
    This time around I was watching this on DVD and was well informed on the guy in charge. All the elements were there. Frankly, what better choice to film an ass kicking than the guy that dished it out in Resident Evil. Worse case scenario, he's gonna trade zombies for the creatures of choice and set the camera to his usual slow motion signature visuals. How bad can this be? ... It turns out, the movie is, as I said, pretty cool.
    The plot is well threaded with a thriller atmosphere. The distant town in no man's land. The historic references to a prophecy of sorts. Digging up the inevitable past. The rich guy that has enough money to push things too far. And the always required character that warns everyone not to embark in the adventure but embarks in the adventure herself regardless. All the fun contradictions that make for a well designed action flick.
    The events follow each other with just enough predictability to make you both anticipate and feel smart. Yet the repertoire remains fresh and exciting. The fights between Predators and Aliens are perfectly choreographed. In fact, I finished the movie wanting to see more. That's how an action movie is supposed to make you feel. Wanting to run back to the theater to see more of the same.
    Looking back on the Alien anthology, WS Anderson would have been the perfect call for Alien Resurrection. After the heavy delivery of Alien 3, there was a much needed return to the action of Aliens, but with just enough emotional content to deliver a good action thriller. Perhaps we can call this movie the 4th installment in the series instead. What do you think?
  15. Apr 2, 2012
    The movie was horrifying in a really bad way. There is some of the worst acting i have ever seen in this film. The action is completly pointless and pitiful. Why did someone make this movie. A disgraceful movie on every level. Please tell me this was a joke.
  16. Feb 18, 2012
    This movie had so much potential, and it was ruined by bad acting, story, effects and everything. Where is the interspecies deathmatch all us nerds hoped for? Don't watch this, it is a trashy 90 minutes of your life!
  17. Feb 14, 2012
    While re-watching AVP, I found myself feeling a profound sense of de-ja vu. Where have I witnessed this exact same plot before? Oh - now I remember - Resident Evil. Writer/Director Paul W S Anderson isn't only plundering two successful sci-fi series with this film, he's ripping off his own films. In both we have a team of "experts" going underground on a journey of discovery, with aWhile re-watching AVP, I found myself feeling a profound sense of de-ja vu. Where have I witnessed this exact same plot before? Oh - now I remember - Resident Evil. Writer/Director Paul W S Anderson isn't only plundering two successful sci-fi series with this film, he's ripping off his own films. In both we have a team of "experts" going underground on a journey of discovery, with a hidden, sinister purpose, and in both, things go sour when something nasty begins to pick off team members one-by-one. I wasn't expecting originality from a film based on a game that in turn is based on two series of films, but come on, Mr Anderson - change the record! Anyway, the film offers just about what you'd expect from the title Alien vs. Predator - two icons of science fiction turning each other into goo, with poor old humanity stuck in the middle. The characterisation is lacking even by Anderson's standards - we follow a team of stereotypes, each with a singular emotion, or personality quirk, or debilitating illness that defines them. Sanaa Lathan is meant to be the film's hero, but simply comes across as a Ripley knock-off crossed with Bear Grylls. Colin Salmon, though effortlessly cool as always, plays EXACTLY the same character he did in Anderson's Resident Evil. You've also got such interesting characters as archaeologist Sebastian (Raoul Bova), who's Italian, Graeme (Ewan Bremner), who's Scottish, Mark the mercenary (Tommy Flanagan) who's got a scar, and Adele (Agathe de La Boulaye) who's French AND a woman. Wow, these are really the kinds of characters you can get emotionally invested in. At least you've got Lance Henriksen at least attempting to give a performance as Mr Weyland (and giving the film some semblance of continuity with the Alien series), though he generally manages to get by simply by having an awesome voice. Despite the lazy characters and pretty dreadful script, to Paul W S Anderson's credit, the film does get a whole lot better once the titular extra-terrestrial brawl begins in earnest. Anderson has undeniable skill in directing action sequences, and the acid-blood-spraying fights are extremely entertaining. As fun as they are, they begin far too late in the film, and you are forced to sit through a good half-hour of clunky exposition before anything really kicks off. AVP is an emotionless, inhuman affair, but the action is well-handled, and both the xenomorphs and predators look better than they ever have. If we were subjected to a less drawn-out build to the first set-piece, and if the filmmakers hadn't been so greedy and pandered to a pre-teen audience, we might have had a pretty good time watching two races of gruesome monsters pounding each other to fluorescent pulp. As it is, the film is passably entertaining, but nothing else. It's too empty, too long, and nowhere-near scary or violent enough. Expand
  18. Nov 19, 2011
    It was decent. I was a bit disapointed that the plot wasnt thought out more and it didnt have that many confrontations between the Aliens and Predators either. I dont think I would recommend this to any one.
  19. Nov 6, 2011
    I am a big fan of the Alien & Predator series, and I love this movie. I think this film is very underrated and it's really entertaining and fun. Even though it has little gore, it's still a great film.
  20. Oct 7, 2011
    The only (and little) good thing in AvsP is probably the respectives mythologies of the two legendary franchises. But direction and interpretation are both deplorable; if I want to see a fight as the one between the two creatures in AvsP, I can see professional wrestling at TV.
  21. Jul 22, 2011
    im a huge AVP fan in terms of the games on the PC and jagaur and i the comic from the 90's . so a movie would seem natural and be a great idea . the problem starts off first with it taking half the movie to even start . it trys to build the charicters up abit so i guess we will care about them but lets face it we went to see this to see the aliens and the predators kick some ass. first offim a huge AVP fan in terms of the games on the PC and jagaur and i the comic from the 90's . so a movie would seem natural and be a great idea . the problem starts off first with it taking half the movie to even start . it trys to build the charicters up abit so i guess we will care about them but lets face it we went to see this to see the aliens and the predators kick some ass. first off this should have been set in the far future and in space with the colonial marines . instead we are in antarctica which all be it not a bad setting since we are getting a secluded no escape place . the action between the aliens and the predator was actally pretty good and there are some amazing looking action sequenses . though just not enough there . in the end its kinda mediocore but i didnt think it was terrable atleast. Expand
  22. Jun 2, 2011
    As a hardcore fan of both franchises, I thought this film worked. I was surprised with the story and how effectively both species were intertwined in history. I found myself making the connections of all the little details I have noticed over the years in the predecessor films. It was also refreshing to see an old regular like Henrikson join the cast.
  23. May 15, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. So they wanted to make the most feared thing in the universe look like pansies? Ya right. two of the damn predators die in the first 30 min! I know they are apparently kids and all, but damn, they are still predators. Expand
  24. Mar 7, 2011
    This movie will sharply divide fans of Alien and Predator, the plot isn't great but gets the job done, it's surprisingly good action is what will keep you hooked, this is an interesting movie fans of Alien and Predator should watch.
  25. Sep 12, 2010
    i admit that the movie could have been a lot better but i think it was a very good effort in combining the two famous originals. although it didn't show a promising story to it the film did show a good use of trying to bring back many of the old qualities from the two alien species however they needed to use more convincing and more recognized actors
  26. Aug 13, 2010
    I thought the movie was pretty good. But the first 2 preds shouldn't have died so easily. But worse was that the pred teamed up with the woman. But the rest was good.

A reductive spook show in which a bunch of puny humans get chased around by scary monsters.
  2. Reviewed by: Dennis Harvey
    The thing-a-ma-jigs have it out with the whatch-a-ma-call-its -- as several humans scurry and scream between -- in Alien Vs. Predator, the kind of two-for-one dogfight (last repped by "Freddy Vs. Jason") that usually does more to bury a franchise than revive it.
  3. It's a murky, empty-headed dive into the depths of the Antarctic and the heart of monster movie cliches that leaves you praying for most of the cast to get killed off fast, to put them (and us) out of our misery.