Bangkok Dangerous

5.2

1. Jul 8, 2013
    If Nicolas Cage doesn’t get a hit movie soon, he’s going to be doomed to doing only National Treasure sequels for the rest of his life. I knew I was in trouble when the showing I attended (11AM on a Saturday) consisted of me, and two other guys who walked in right before the movie started. That’s it 3 people. In Bangkok Dangerous, Nicolas Cage plays an assassin who is the poster boy forIf Nicolas Cage doesn’t get a hit movie soon, he’s going to be doomed to doing only National Treasure sequels for the rest of his life. I knew I was in trouble when the showing I attended (11AM on a Saturday) consisted of me, and two other guys who walked in right before the movie started. That’s it 3 people. In Bangkok Dangerous, Nicolas Cage plays an assassin who is the poster boy for the word “loner.” He travels the world and does his job with painstaking precision, but he’s just about had enough and is ready to do one last job and quit. How do we know this? Via one of the most dreaded movie gimmicks: The Voiceover. The movie opened up and immediately went into a Cage-voiced narration. I bristled at this immediately as I am NOT a fan of this style of exposition. Usually I find it to be a “cheat” a lazy way to bring us up to speed or tell us about a character instead of just showing us. In any case, I figured “OK, fine, so they’re setting the movie up,” so I let it go. The movie went on for a couple of minutes and then: more narration. I actually wrote in my notes “Oh man, the voiceover is continuing.” But if that were my only problem with the movie, it wouldn’t have been THAT bad. The main issue I had with Bangkok Dangerous is that it was overly dramatic melodramatic to be precise. It felt like the director was trying too hard, similar to an old Saturday Night Live skit where there are a couple of actors in a scene shouting “Acting!” “Very good!” “Thank You!” It was almost written like one of those old poorly written detective novels from the 1940s: “It was a dark a steamy night, the fog rolled in like a hooker schmoozing a ‘John’ on a neon-drenched street corner.” It’s a shame, because there were things I liked about the film Nicolas Cage’s highly detailed and methodical planning and execution (no pun) of his assassinations, the performance of the young Thai woman (Panward Hemmanee) who captured his heart, even that of Shahkrit Yamnarm, who plays at first the delivery boy and then the apprentice. But much of the film was pretentious, ridiculous and predictable. There is one scene where Cage assassinates someone by drowning them in a pool in their fortified home complete with guards standing around the pool area. How does he do this? He lays in wait underwater, drags the guy under, holds him under long enough for the guy to drown and then swims away underwater to avoid detection. So my question is: Is he an assassin or freaking Aquaman? How did he manage to hold his breath long enough to accomplish all this and outlast the other guy by far? There was also a scene where the deaf girl performs on stage as a dancer in a musical number. I’m sorry, but to do that shouldn’t you actually be able to hear the music? The movie almost started to get decent towards the end, but then they had to blow that as well with a ridiculous scene with Cage and a bad guy shooting at each other through a bunch of water jugs from about 10 feet away. Frankly I found that scene to be just plain stupid. The interesting thing is that the movie was an American remake of a Thai film and it was written and directed by the same guys who did the original. Maybe the original just wasn’t that great either… Collapse
  2. Nov 3, 2011
    "Bangkok Dangerous", a action kookie based on the 2001 movie with the same title, is terrible. It's cliched and fails to handle all the action into one piece. Most of all, Nicholas Cage performed terribly with a stone cold face. Trust me; If you watch this, you're weird.
    Jan 10, 2009
    May not be worth watching, very simple all around.
  4. JayT.
    Jan 2, 2009
    With films like this no wonder everyone is turning to the tv! Nic cage is the last person i would cast for an action film, he is without life when he acts and the person who directed this piece of shit should give up his day job and spend his money else where. Easily the worse film of 2008.
  5. JayH.
    Dec 28, 2008
    5.5/10. The Bangkok location filming is a big plus, some good action scenes, especially the canal scene. Good cinematography, well edited. The story lacks focus though and the point and plot is very vague. Too much style and not enough substance.
  6. RonaldS
    Oct 26, 2008
    Do all of the other customers who come into the Pharmacy know sign language? And the hardened Assassin is going to just fall completely head over heels in love over a deaf woman in a pharmacy? Especially since he couldn't even understand her if she could talk? The whole love thing just feels so absolutely contrived. And Joe looks like he's been dead for a week.
  7. BrianR.
    Oct 24, 2008
    Not as bad as the critics will insist, still Cage has performed much better on previous outings. I disagree with the opinion that it is a dull movie to look at. Although many of the Bangkok backdrops are cliched at times it is visually arresting. Action when it comes is impressively done but Cages hair is more of a distraction than I thought it would be. Why can't a a hitman with Not as bad as the critics will insist, still Cage has performed much better on previous outings. I disagree with the opinion that it is a dull movie to look at. Although many of the Bangkok backdrops are cliched at times it is visually arresting. Action when it comes is impressively done but Cages hair is more of a distraction than I thought it would be. Why can't a a hitman with such compulsion and precision not take two minutes out with a comb? Expand
  8. GunnyM.
    Sep 19, 2008
    Nicolas Cage=sh*tty movie. What ever happened to the days when you could rely on Nick to produce a good flick such as Face off. Weatherman, and City of Angels. Now hes the only character you reconginze in this weird flick that is very predictable. I hate his attitude as this tough guy i dont give a fuck what happens to me and i'm the man persona. In addition to that he falls for a Nicolas Cage=sh*tty movie. What ever happened to the days when you could rely on Nick to produce a good flick such as Face off. Weatherman, and City of Angels. Now hes the only character you reconginze in this weird flick that is very predictable. I hate his attitude as this tough guy i dont give a fuck what happens to me and i'm the man persona. In addition to that he falls for a deaf girl, i mean come on now what the hell is going on here. Not only that she works at a feaking pharmacey where communication is key. At least CSi or burn notice is a little more believable logistically. Nice hair Nick did you get your style from happy days you greasy weirdo. Expand
  9. BryanP.
    Sep 19, 2008
    If you can get past Nicolas Cages hair the story is not bad. I like the fact that the story seems predictable but in the end isn't. The director was very conservative on the shaky cam,( I hate shaky cam) only in the last third of the movie did the shaky cam come out.
  10. JackR.
    Sep 9, 2008
    Great move with tons of action. If you like Hong Kong" actio flixs you will love this movie.
  11. MasJ.
    Sep 8, 2008
    Not nearly as bad as the official reviews rate it. Its not a cookie cutter romantic comedy which reviewers love and does not give a feel good ending. However, it is entertaining and interesting for making an unapologetically bad guy as the hero. It took Cage some courage to take on such a sinister role.
  12. Ryencoke
    Sep 7, 2008
    There could have been so much cut out of this movie, and it would have been so much better.
  13. JPS.
    Sep 6, 2008
    Just saw this movie after seeing the critics metascore of 19. I like to see "bad" movies on a big screen. Problem was, this wasn't as bad as the reviews were suggesting. The story was fairly standard with a few twists to keep one interested. There was love and death. Food and dance. Chases scenes on
  14. PeterK.
    Sep 6, 2008
    Great scenery and an o.k. reworking of an earlier movie. Lots of velvety black shots and heavy shadows lend atmosphere. Cage is a convincing hit man.
  15. JackK.
    Sep 6, 2008
    Excellent crime movie about a hitman who changes his ways for the worst.
  16. ChadS.
    Sep 6, 2008
    Too soon. Comedian Bill Maher criticized America too soon after 9/11 and he lost his show. From his nightly electronic soapbox, the former host of "Politically Incorrect" deemed the millitary decision to deploy long-range missles on Baghdad, instead of sending ground troups to go "a mano a mano" with their Iraqi counterparts, as a cowardly act. In "Bangkok Dangerous", on American soil, Too soon. Comedian Bill Maher criticized America too soon after 9/11 and he lost his show. From his nightly electronic soapbox, the former host of "Politically Incorrect" deemed the millitary decision to deploy long-range missles on Baghdad, instead of sending ground troups to go "a mano a mano" with their Iraqi counterparts, as a cowardly act. In "Bangkok Dangerous", on American soil, the assassin kills his target from afar. In Maher's estimation, this makes Joe(Nicholas Cage) a coward. Thailand is a different matter, however, as the existentialist sociopath gets up close and personal with those individuals, bad guys all, designated for execution; and those who die due to happenstance, or circumstance. Joe's willingness to man up against his opposition makes him a hero, according to the host of "Real Time with Bill Maher". But the fourth man on his Thai employer's directive is a politician, a good man that Kong(Shahkrit Yamnam), Joe's assistant, describes as being just like his boss. This hit is like the hit he performed back home; from long range. Joe aborts the mission; he's unwilling to spill innocent blood. But that's beside the point. Accidents can happen, in the pursuit of justice, and the pure of heart die anyway(i.e. the shop girl gets tainted by the blood of Joe's assailants, a metaphor for collateral damage). By air, or on the ground, it doesn't matter how we fight Iraq. They're not our enemy. The Thai people, good or bad, aren't Joe's enemy either. It's all relative if Joe kills or doesn't kill because the American is a stranger in a strange land, and should get the hell out. Imaginary political subtext aside, "Bangkok Dangerous" has the look of a fever dream, a film that take place largely in the dark, and scores points for its unwillingness to look like the glossy remake of a foreign exploitation flick. It's as if Cage caught the 1999 Thai original on late-night cable, dozed off, and inserted himself as the lead using his mind's EYE. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Jordan Mintzer
    Without the technical nastiness and fatal realism that made the initial film so compelling, the remake feels like a hollow excuse to present the myriad ways in which a bullet can pierce a cranium, rather than an edgy portrait of Third World violence.
    Parts of Bangkok Dangerous, far from seeming unfamiliar or freshly stylized, offer nothing that you couldn't catch in an episode of "CSI."
  3. Adds to the sad realization that this once-vibrant and witty actor (Cage) is completely controlled now by his inner teenager.