New Yorker Films | Release Date: March 31, 2000
7.8
Generally favorable reviews based on 24 Ratings
WATCH NOW
JeffAJan 1, 2010
Ugh, another pretentious, boring "art" film. Truly lame. What is it with the french? I see so many of the worst films coming from there.
EricP.May 6, 2003
The tendency with some French films: to think that being vague can manufacture a sense of the profound. This is not the case. When the film was over, I simply didn't care about anything I had just watched. A saw little evidence of a The tendency with some French films: to think that being vague can manufacture a sense of the profound. This is not the case. When the film was over, I simply didn't care about anything I had just watched. A saw little evidence of a creative vision being brought to life. It was shallow and lazy. Expand
MikeGDec 4, 2004
The dancing is great, and the cinematography is wonderful. But it's a disjointed, often confusing movie, especially if you're not familiar with Billy Budd.
MaxA.Dec 17, 2006
Brooding, plodding, self-conscious and silly. This is a caricature of a French art film. It goes nowhere for an hour and a half while the protagonist poses and smokes lots of cigarettes. In a word: merde.