Before Midnight

8.3

1. May 25, 2013
    “Before Midnight” is the third picture in the trilogy which started with “Before Sunrise” in 1995 and was then followed by “After Sunset” in 2004. This new film continues to explore the relationship between its stars and lovers, Julie Delpy and Ethan Hawke who, together with Kim Kirzan and Richard Linklater (the Director) co-wrote this film. Ms. Delpy and Mr. Hawke give honest and“Before Midnight” is the third picture in the trilogy which started with “Before Sunrise” in 1995 and was then followed by “After Sunset” in 2004. This new film continues to explore the relationship between its stars and lovers, Julie Delpy and Ethan Hawke who, together with Kim Kirzan and Richard Linklater (the Director) co-wrote this film. Ms. Delpy and Mr. Hawke give honest and meaningful performances in this film which is 90% dialogue coupled with a few house, hotel and outdoor drive scenes. But it is the dialogue that captures the audience and makes the film so worthwhile. The actors really do become their characters and though it might seem tedious on paper, the watching of these verbal exchanges is as engrossing and captivating as any action or musical film might seek to achieve. I give the film an 8 and recommend it be seen by all who are, who hope to be or whoever were in a significant romantic relationship. Expand
  2. May 25, 2013
    The first two films in the series are outstanding, and I was a little concerned that the third wouldn't live up, but it does. I sincerely hope that Linklater, Hawke and Delpy do another one in 10 years, when they're 50. Such amazing chemistry between the leads, and it rings so true. It's funny, often painful, but authentic as hell. If you're a 19 year old kid, should you rush out and seeThe first two films in the series are outstanding, and I was a little concerned that the third wouldn't live up, but it does. I sincerely hope that Linklater, Hawke and Delpy do another one in 10 years, when they're 50. Such amazing chemistry between the leads, and it rings so true. It's funny, often painful, but authentic as hell. If you're a 19 year old kid, should you rush out and see this film instead of Fast/Furious, Hangover, or the latest comic book colossus? Hell no. But rent the first one, wait a few years and watch the next two. If you're in your late 30s, early 40's or later, you should love this movie. Expand
  3. Lyn
    Jun 14, 2013
    I couldn't wait to hear from Jesse and Celine again! But this film lacked the luminous insights of the first two; I can't think of a single memorably true phrase. I concede that it probably wouldn't be entertaining to watch a contented middle-aged couple engage in contented conversation for a couple of hours. But while any marriage has its ragged edges, the savage fighting here felt likeI couldn't wait to hear from Jesse and Celine again! But this film lacked the luminous insights of the first two; I can't think of a single memorably true phrase. I concede that it probably wouldn't be entertaining to watch a contented middle-aged couple engage in contented conversation for a couple of hours. But while any marriage has its ragged edges, the savage fighting here felt like they saved up every gripe and grudge of nine years, only to discharge them when a director said "ready, aim, fire!" Celine, especially, seemed like a merciless harpy for choosing a lovely vacation setting and a moment when her husband ached from his son's departure to rant about the dashing of her feminist goals. The conversations were interesting, for the most part. Sadly, however, I'm not sure I want to revisit these two again. Expand
  4. Jul 12, 2013
    I am truly and utterly under Jesse's and Celine's spell and hoping that they will surprise us with another snapshot of their lives 9 years from now. Even though Before Midnight is breezy to begin with, it breaks the courtship mould early on without however losing the romantic undertone and the feel real factor that defined the previous two installments. And since the characters have grownI am truly and utterly under Jesse's and Celine's spell and hoping that they will surprise us with another snapshot of their lives 9 years from now. Even though Before Midnight is breezy to begin with, it breaks the courtship mould early on without however losing the romantic undertone and the feel real factor that defined the previous two installments. And since the characters have grown older and more mature, so have the films with them. And now based in Greece, it seems like this a Greek tragedy where the deus ex machina is actually true love. Expand
  5. Jun 20, 2013
    In 95's "Before Sunrise" Ethan Hawke & Julie Delphy spend one romantic nite strolling around Vienna in conversation. A decade later they ramble thru Paris doing the same thing in "Before Sunset." This time they're on vacation in Greece with their kids, where the scenery is more limited. They spend an evening walking, while they discuss their relationship. If you've seen the others, you'llIn 95's "Before Sunrise" Ethan Hawke & Julie Delphy spend one romantic nite strolling around Vienna in conversation. A decade later they ramble thru Paris doing the same thing in "Before Sunset." This time they're on vacation in Greece with their kids, where the scenery is more limited. They spend an evening walking, while they discuss their relationship. If you've seen the others, you'll find this one less romantic and more realistic, even difficult. Their performances are compellingly real, but the movie is more wordy and less charming. Expand
  6. Jun 19, 2013
    A poignant, resonant ending to the lovers' journey. Every bit of it rings true. A love story that has wound its way over close to two decades and shows wear and tear. Beautifully crafted.
  7. Nov 3, 2013
    It is fun to watch and brave enough (6 long sequences!), but quite flawed. At times it feels that these two have never had a conversation before, given the themes and issues that they keep revisiting. Some parts seem too forced and artificial for such a mature (in time) relationship. It looks like someone felt that "someone has to be always talking or it will seem that there is no content!It is fun to watch and brave enough (6 long sequences!), but quite flawed. At times it feels that these two have never had a conversation before, given the themes and issues that they keep revisiting. Some parts seem too forced and artificial for such a mature (in time) relationship. It looks like someone felt that "someone has to be always talking or it will seem that there is no content! -even during the sunset scene!!!!-" (nothing further from the intention or the French films that give inspiration to Before Midnight, where natural conversations are as important as scene composition, space and silence) Great effort from the actors that must still be wondering "couldn't we just shut up and kiss?!" Expand
  8. Jun 8, 2013
    There is no action is this movie, just talk, talk, talk. Mostly between two main characters. But talk intelligent, most of the time serious and quite often sincere and honest. To make a movie such as that to be good is a piece of work. And it is. The screenplay is excellent and so are both leading performances. Add to this mixture a solid cinematography with breathtaking views of GreeceThere is no action is this movie, just talk, talk, talk. Mostly between two main characters. But talk intelligent, most of the time serious and quite often sincere and honest. To make a movie such as that to be good is a piece of work. And it is. The screenplay is excellent and so are both leading performances. Add to this mixture a solid cinematography with breathtaking views of Greece and you get a winner. Expand
  9. Aug 2, 2013
    Well I don't know-I certainly hoped our beloved characters would have some better luck then to get stuck into dysfunctional relationship with fighting and arguing about just everything.
  10. Nov 2, 2013
    Easily the best written script of the year... shear magic... honest, raw, difficult to watch at times, funny, and sexy... best writing of the year. I only hope they continue the story following these characters in another 9 years!
  11. Sep 10, 2013
    Starting with Before Sunrise in 1995, the Before Trilogy has been the perfect anti blockbuster saga that depicts the lives of two people who just happen to find each other sitting on a train heading to Vienna. What follows that initial meeting is nothing short of magical. Jesse (Ethan Hawke) and his wife Celeste (Julie Delpy) and their twin girls are vacationing at a writers retreat inStarting with Before Sunrise in 1995, the Before Trilogy has been the perfect anti blockbuster saga that depicts the lives of two people who just happen to find each other sitting on a train heading to Vienna. What follows that initial meeting is nothing short of magical. Jesse (Ethan Hawke) and his wife Celeste (Julie Delpy) and their twin girls are vacationing at a writers retreat in Greece and for their last night they have been treated to a night exploring a small Greek town together, one that highlights each of their insecurities, hopes, dreams and inner most thoughts, thoughts that could bring this epic romance to an end. Before Midnight seems like an apt conclusion to this revelatory series as it is not only the best of the bunch but it's surely one of the best films of the year. The film doesn't shy away from the fears and relationship problems that hit people in their forties as they re-examine their lives. Midnight is the darkest of the three films but that only adds to the experience as the film exhibits a wealth of emotion established over three days of these peoples lives. A cracking romp, it's funny, intelligent and never once leaves you questioning what time it is. Even for someone unclear of Jesse and Celeste's history, Before Midnight is a detailed and personal film written by people who love these characters and want as many other people to do so too. The main reason its works as a film is because it involves you in a persons life that almost everyone can relate to in some way or another as Jesse comments on social dynamics and Celeste complains about the vulgarity of men you can associate with them in a way few films manage. As the film draws to a close the film leads into an anti-establishment climax as these characters shift and respond to things in a beautiful and painfully real way. While everything comes crashing down for these two you might see something you didn't want to see in yourself or you might glance upon the films ending and feel a glimmer of hope for these two and maybe by extension yourself. Expand
  12. May 24, 2013
    Before Midnight is the third of three movies, shot about a decade apart each, starring Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy as lovers with a very push-pull dynamic. It's not necessary to see the first two movies to follow Before Midnight. The movie features long takes (sometimes not cutting for 10 minutes at a time) the story takes place over a day, and dialogue and naturalistic acting areBefore Midnight is the third of three movies, shot about a decade apart each, starring Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy as lovers with a very push-pull dynamic. It's not necessary to see the first two movies to follow Before Midnight. The movie features long takes (sometimes not cutting for 10 minutes at a time) the story takes place over a day, and dialogue and naturalistic acting are paramount. There's a complexity to their characters and relationship that refuses to fully romanticize or demonize them. It's something of a realist romance in (deliberate) contrast the beautiful settings. Careful viewers will notice a handful of ironies that ground the romance in reality. I won't give examples here, or go into the details that keep me from giving this a 9 or 10 as many critics do. The movie is the proverbial breath of fresh air, though. I'd say that the main weakness of the movie stems from its strengths, in that when artists set out to make something so true to human nature (as opposed to fluffier rom coms or Nicholas Sparks movies) it's easy to hear the (few) false notes that are played. There are very few; and unless you're jonesing for a mere-nonsense 'entertainment' movie, this movie should appeal to practically anyone. Expand
  13. Jun 10, 2013
    Expands on what came before it, rather than becoming redundant. There are a few nods to the previous installments, but this film stands on it's own, mainly because the dialogue and delivery that carry the film so triumphantly.
  14. Nov 20, 2013
    We only know Jesse and Céline for two days in their lives (BEFORE SUNRISE 1995, 8/10; BEFORE SUNSET 2004, 9/10), but as if we have invested too much already, so at the beginning of this third chapter, when we realize that they have been living together for all these 9 years by now and even had two twin girls, is it a truly romantic fairytale comes true or the day-to-day reality has erodedWe only know Jesse and Céline for two days in their lives (BEFORE SUNRISE 1995, 8/10; BEFORE SUNSET 2004, 9/10), but as if we have invested too much already, so at the beginning of this third chapter, when we realize that they have been living together for all these 9 years by now and even had two twin girls, is it a truly romantic fairytale comes true or the day-to-day reality has eroded the edges and corners and exhausted their acuity in dissecting what they are really thinking? The triad of Linklater, Delpy and Hawke will present us a most satisfactory delight delving into these two soul mates’ current states of mind.

Again tracing a one-day journey of the couple in their last day of their summer getaway in Southern Greece, in the morning, they see off Jesse’s son Hank in the airport, who has to return to his mother, Jesse’s ex-wife, which aggravates Jesse’s paternity guilt for being absent in most of Hank’s life, elicits an idea to move back to USA with the entire family, while they’re driving back from the airport, the discord occurs when Céline rebuffs the connotation of the unscheduled idea, and a time-bomb is ticking, the first long take in the car signals as a gambit to re-ignite the audience members’ coveted interest in their love story.

Under the magnificent scenery of this ancient land, their farewell lunch with friends carries a casual spirit but the small talk is overflowing with engaging and emotively touching insights about love from different ages and experiences, Jesse and Céline are mainly listeners, but Delpy manage to pull off a splendid ad lib mimics a brainless bimbo flirting with Jesse the writer and talking about Romeo and Juliet, so hilarious and this is a patina when they are surrounded with other people.

Later, they leave their daughters to friends and head to a hotel since they are treated to have a private evening in a hotel to culminate their last night there (with a couple massage coupon), clearly it is a god-given opportunity for them to express real thoughts without the interference of their children. Meandering in the town, everything is like deja vu, they are like two people deeply in love with each other and the sexual attraction is simmering when they reach the room, but their carnal engagement is interrupted by a pivotal call from Hank, their following tête-à-tête turns sours when Céline bickers about her sacrifice in the relationship and the frustration of parenting, utters discontent and spurns the prospect of moving to USA, meanwhile Jesse appears to be the calm one, but his passive-aggressive strategy fails to appease her and they begin to blame faults to each other, until Céline storms out and leaves the deal-breaker I don’t love you anymore”. From convivial to acrid, it is so spot-on in everyman’s world, then the ending plays a nice trick on the ambivalent possibilities of their future, fingers-crossed a fourth one will come another 9 years later and it will be worth the wait.

Thumbs up to both Hawke and Delpy’s scintillating acting, their resounding rapport and flawless two-hander should have earned some serious awards recognition apart from their effervescent script, good luck for a third time, Delpy could be a dark horse to bag a BEST LEADING ACTRESS nomination, and she is also French, Oscar voters, remember?
  15. Jan 2, 2014
    I was somewhat disappointed with this film after all I read as I expected more. I acknowledge that it is well acted and offers more visual variety than the previous two installments in the trilogy. However, I want more from a movie than just a conversation and I hope the director isn't tempted to make another "Before installment as I am not planning on seeing it if he does.
  16. Jul 19, 2013
    The dialogue stretches to the end of time in every scene of the movie but what keeps it together and easy to take in, is its genuine feeling and fluid delivery. For most of the time you forget that your watching a movie and instead real peoples lives.
  17. Jul 15, 2013
    This film is like ease dropping on a couple's relationship, their life and everything in between. There are few scenes but endless dialogue, but it is done very effectively and simply. Funny, meaningful, and real.
  18. Oct 13, 2013
    Deep down in my heart, I felt like this was the 2nd WORSE MOVIE EVER MADE! it's WORSE THAN EVERY HORROR/ROM-COM MOVIES! it's like you are reading a Girl's Book...

(The good thing is: Now, everytime I need to check if a Reviewer is stupid, I can check if he/she liked this crap! hahahaha)
  19. Jun 19, 2013
    When we met Celine (Julie Delpy), a young French woman, and Jesse (Ethan Hawke) a young American, in 1995 ‘s “Before Sunrise” we met a young couple who spent a night in Vienna walking and talking to and about each other just after meeting on a train. Nine years later in “Before Sunset” Jesse, now a married man, has written a best selling book about that evening with Celine, and is in ParisWhen we met Celine (Julie Delpy), a young French woman, and Jesse (Ethan Hawke) a young American, in 1995 ‘s “Before Sunrise” we met a young couple who spent a night in Vienna walking and talking to and about each other just after meeting on a train. Nine years later in “Before Sunset” Jesse, now a married man, has written a best selling book about that evening with Celine, and is in Paris on a book tour. They had lost contact with each other and now 9 years later Celine comes to the Parisian bookstore where he is making an appearance, and Jesse doesn’t make the plane he was suppose to leave on and they spend the day and evening walking and talking in Paris. We learn that he is now married and has a son while she is an environmentalist with a boyfriend she doesn’t see very often. The ending is ambiguous and there wasn’t talk of a third film.

This film in the series opens with Jesse taking his son Hank to the airport after the latter spent the summer with Jesse, Celine and their twin daughters. It has been 18 years since they first met and are now a couple living together, Jesse having divorced his wife, continued his career as a writer while Celine is being tempted by a job which she thinks she could get involved in. Jesse is thinking about he and Celine returning to America so he could be closer to his son but hasn’t discussed it with her yet.

There are three outstanding scenes that will stay with you with the first being when Celine and Jesse are at a dinner, given by the host of the writer’s retreat that they had spent the summer, and their friends. The talk among the six touches a bit on the couple’s problems but what lies underneath comes out later. One of the couples, as a present, leased a hotel room and a massage for two and volunteered to sit the twins. The second outstanding scene is the walk through town that Jesse and Celine take to the hotel. It is the scene that evening in the hotel where they, especially Celine, go at each other that makes the film. It is the accumulation of their life together and what makes it work and what is pulling it apart.

In this chapter in the story Ethan Hawke shines like he has never in any other picture including the two prequels to “Before Midnight”. Whereas Julie Delpy seemed to be the center of the Sunrise and Sunset movies Hawke walks away with this one though each gets equal time and Delpy spends time exposing her breasts in the most natural way.

The director Richard Linklater, who also wrote the screenplay with Hawke and Delpy, draws us into the film, let’s us see that the couple really love each other but have problems as most couples do. The Greek Peloponnese peninsula looks as romantic as it should be adding to the feel of the movie. Will there be a fourth film in 2022 so we can see if this couple will live happily ever after or?
  20. Jul 24, 2013
    Before midnight is the best movie of the year. Once more Richard Linklater make us explore the meaning of the true love and the difficulties that life can bring us with love, he achieved to direct a wonderful movie by presenting the beautiful places of Greece. The screenplay is absolutely amazing and very realistic, Richard Linklater, Julie Delpy and Ethan Hawke achieved to present to usBefore midnight is the best movie of the year. Once more Richard Linklater make us explore the meaning of the true love and the difficulties that life can bring us with love, he achieved to direct a wonderful movie by presenting the beautiful places of Greece. The screenplay is absolutely amazing and very realistic, Richard Linklater, Julie Delpy and Ethan Hawke achieved to present to us with their screenplay the meaning of true love and how their magical romance that we saw in Before Sunrise and in Before Sunset concludes to a usual marriage with its own problem that many people deal with in their daily life and they still struggling to find back their true love that they may have lost during their marriage. The cast of the movie is one more time excellent, Julie Delpy is better than any other time, she gives a flawless performance that should lead her to the Academy Awards. Ethan Hawke is also very good in his role and the rest of the cast did a great job, especially the great (well know for her movies back in '60s in Greece) Xenia Kalogeropoulou gives a sweet, touching performance that will remain in our memories. The soundtrack is also amazing, the song ''Gia ena tango'' sung by Haris Alexiou (one of the best singers in Greece) gives a sweet melody to the movie. Now, i can say that the trilogy (Before Sunrise,Before Sunset,Before Midnight) is the best trilogy ever made. Before Midnight totally deserves an Oscar nomination for Best Adapted Screenplay and a nomination for Best Leading Actress (Julie Delpy) and why not a nomination for Best Motion Picture. It is difficult to believe that the love story of Jesse and Celine ends with that movie, because these movies taught us many true things, like that even a romance that we think that it could only exist in movies, it can become a usual story like the marriages we meet every day with its own problems, but also with its own moments of happiness and with this movie we can understand the meaning of true love and the meaning of the family. To sum up, we have cried and we have felt the moments of happiness of the romance of Jesse and Celine and we hope that in another 9 years we will see another movie of their love and their family. Expand
  21. Dec 28, 2013
    One of the most boring movies I have ever seen. Why are they together? How self indulgent. All the critics have raved about the screenplay??? We fell asleep after and thankfully woke up when the credits were rolling.
  22. Jul 29, 2013
    The final (maybe) part in Linklater's 'Before' trilogy is so incredibly well acted and made you realy feel like you are there with these characters experiencing their emotions, joy, pain, problems through 3 different stages in their lives (each film is a different part). It's best to rewatch the first two because you can better appreciate the evolution of who these people were and who theyThe final (maybe) part in Linklater's 'Before' trilogy is so incredibly well acted and made you realy feel like you are there with these characters experiencing their emotions, joy, pain, problems through 3 different stages in their lives (each film is a different part). It's best to rewatch the first two because you can better appreciate the evolution of who these people were and who they have become. Each of the 3 films were made 9 years appart so as the actors got older, so did their characters in the story. I would very much like too see another chapter in another 9 years, sure would be interesting! Expand
  23. Jun 19, 2013
    My wife and I went to this movie because of the overwhelming positive reviews, and ended up disappointed. FYI, we did not see either of the prequels, and knew little of the premise. The movie is extremely well written and acted. The key to our disappointment was that this movie is 95% dialogue! The entire movie could have been done on stage. Certainly, the dialogue was excellent,My wife and I went to this movie because of the overwhelming positive reviews, and ended up disappointed. FYI, we did not see either of the prequels, and knew little of the premise. The movie is extremely well written and acted. The key to our disappointment was that this movie is 95% dialogue! The entire movie could have been done on stage. Certainly, the dialogue was excellent, biting and emotional. At times, I felt like I was back watching "Virginia Woolf" again. For us, the entertainment value was not there. I felt like I might have gotten the same enjoyment from reading this script, as from watching the movie. We go the the movies to be entertained. Ergo the mixed review.....excellent dialogue....minimal entertainment value. Expand
  24. Jun 23, 2013
    I discuss the movie but give away no plot elements.

I discuss the movie but give away no plot elements.

Everyone has their favorite in this trilogy, but I'm not sure if I prefer this to the second one (my favorite until now) or not. This third installment is surely more dramatic and closer to a 'regular movie.' There's lots of walking and talking (and driving and talking) in long long long takes, which I love, but there are also quite a few other characters in an earlier scene, which I enjoyed, and quite a fight between the two main characters, which I enjoyed, but which also made the film feel a little less of a piece with the prior two. I'm just mentioning qualities, not saying they were better or worse.

But I have criticism. The film ends too abruptly. The previous film ended abruptly, but it was perfect as it marked a huge turning point. This fim ended merely in the eye of the storm, not at a truly significant moment. They created a bigger movie than they had space for, and one that didn't fit the walking/talking near real-time conceit of the series. But rather than follow through on that very different film, giving it what it needed on its own terms, they merely cut it short to keep in step with the series' style. Not satisfying for me. I just got hints of the movie they restrained themselves from actually making.

Also, in Before Sunrise the two had just met; in Before Sunset they saw each other for the first time since that one-day affair in Before Sunrise. BUT in this film they've been together steadily for nine years and yet it doesn't feel that way. Yes there's the ex-wife and his son. But it didn't feel authentic. It felt put on. Either the writing didn't get at it well, or the acting didn't bring it across, or a little of both. I've been with my wife for one year, and I could make a gesture or utter a phrase that would have no meaning for anyone else, but she would know exactly what that phrase or gesture was about, and respond accordingly. There was none of that in this movie. Everything, including all the stuff going to the history of the past 9 years with this couple, was spelled out too much. When you do that the audience understands, but does not believe. You lose authenticity.

I've seen this done well in films. A gesture or suggestion or word, evokes a response that the audience does not comprehend in granular literal detail, but they get the KIND of thing that's going on. That he has struck a nerve going to some past indiscretion of hers. Or she has said a key word that brings on an old guilt trip he's had laid on him by her time and again. When it is not all spelled out in expository fashion, but we get the gist, that works better. It feels more real. The first two movies did not have to handle this issue because the couple had no history that we had not seen on screen. This one should have handled the issue, but it didn't. So my suspension of disbelief was not quite as complete. Granted this is a nitpicky detail, but it can mark the difference between a good movie or good actor, and great movie or great actor. This film fell squarely on the "good" side of the fence, not the "great" partly for this reason.

My other criticism goes to the sex. Yes sex. I have nothing against sex scenes normally. Angelina Jolie and Mr. Bandares in the DVD version (not the screen version) of that movie where she plays a mail order bride, naked and grinding explicitly on the bed while the camera watches from above? Go to it, I say! But this movie is very different and it did not work. The two are going to have a fight so, I imagine in order to make the fight seem like a bigger change and more dramatic, they put the two into a very cozy romantic situation just before the fight. And that situation involves Ethan sucking on Julie's breasts, her nipples. Not suggested or simulated but Mr. Hawke gets down and dirty right in front of your face, sucking, pulling, and basically giving any infant in the audience a tutorial on basic survival skills.

This failed to generate that cozy warm feeling of intimacy for me as a viewer. Instead it made me feel uncomfortable, as if I was getting TMI and was a third wheel in the room and should leave them alone. So I'm sitting their squirming and clearing my throat (hoping they'll notice I'm there and stop) rather than feeling the warm cozy intimacy they are feeling. I just kept thinking, these two actors are friends in real life, good friends but still, they are just friends. Which makes this sooooo awkward. And they're continuing to have their chatty chat while this is going on! Which almost makes it hilarious if it wasn't so weird!

All of this said, I enjoyed the film. It's darker, much more so than than the previous two. It's also a slighter film where a more involved film was called for. But what was on the screen (sans nipple sucking) though it was not enough I did enjoy.
  25. Jun 25, 2015
    The perfect conclusion to one of the best trilogies of all-time, Before Midnight continues the success of the first two films and somehow finds a way to yet again improve upon the formula. The direction from Richard Linklater is yet again spectacular and the acting from Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy are once more perfection. Whereas the first two films, I believe, were largely optimistic,The perfect conclusion to one of the best trilogies of all-time, Before Midnight continues the success of the first two films and somehow finds a way to yet again improve upon the formula. The direction from Richard Linklater is yet again spectacular and the acting from Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy are once more perfection. Whereas the first two films, I believe, were largely optimistic, this one does paint quite a sad portrait of love as you age. Yet, in many respects, I think it is still a beautiful picture. It is a film that shows difficulties in relationships and leaves nothing out. However, the way in which it walks it back and shows the tender moments in the aftermath of war, it illustrates that though it can be messy and hurt, love is worth fighting for and the blood, sweat, and tears, spent in the pursuit of it are not in vein. For this, Before Midnight is the best of the trilogy, though they are hard to separate, since all three are such great films. Just as natural and brilliant as the first two, Before Midnight is incredibly satisfying. Expand
  26. Oct 25, 2013
    I just watched this movie with my wife, while it probably was insightful and intelligently and realistically written, it was just boring. NOTHING HAPPENED in the whole movie. They talked then they talked, then they talked some more. I am not one of those guys who rates movies on how many people get shot, but please give me a little story or drama beyond the day to day life I canI just watched this movie with my wife, while it probably was insightful and intelligently and realistically written, it was just boring. NOTHING HAPPENED in the whole movie. They talked then they talked, then they talked some more. I am not one of those guys who rates movies on how many people get shot, but please give me a little story or drama beyond the day to day life I can experience at home without paying to see a movie. Wife thought it was boring too, she went to bed 2/3s of the way in. Expand
  27. Jul 11, 2013
    The movie is all talk, lots of it. It's wonderful dialogue primarily between two people and excellent acting. However, the story is a one note samba theme and there is little beyond the talk. A great opportunity for scenery in Greece is wasted. As another reviewer said, it could just be a stage play. I don;t go to the movies to see what I can see in a drama on stage.
  28. Jul 12, 2014
    Not as good as Before sunset. I still like the conversations they had, and the scenery, but nothing stood out.I also didn`t like the ending much. The ending is what probably left a bad taste in my mouth.
  29. Jun 22, 2013
    Before Midnight is the third in the series of films which have become an unlikely success story in a world of block buster or comic strip character sequels. Not as good as its predecessors, Midnight is so talky that one wishes at times that someone would take a breath. Basically consisting of five major scenes, the airport and car journey sequences see the film off to a promising startBefore Midnight is the third in the series of films which have become an unlikely success story in a world of block buster or comic strip character sequels. Not as good as its predecessors, Midnight is so talky that one wishes at times that someone would take a breath. Basically consisting of five major scenes, the airport and car journey sequences see the film off to a promising start only to have it falter in the next, a dinner, which is without question the worst part of the film. Negative reaction sets in here due to bad supporting actors and irritating writing which, whilst trying to be profound one moment and frivolous the next, is just annoying. The heart of the film takes place in a hotel room where disappointments, criticism and recriminations come to the fore. It is in this approximately 40 minute sequence that the film really comes alive demonstrating that despite all attempts to the contrary long term relationships do become jaded and always need to be worked on. Delpy and, especially, Hawke excel here. They inhabit their characters like a second skin and Midnight rises to the expected level which the first hour fails to attain. Expand
  30. Jun 4, 2013
    Maybe its the fact that I have grown with these characters, and maybe its because I am currently going through a divorce, but the biting dialogue about marriage, life, death, and parenthood cut through me from the opening scene in the airport to the closing scene on a dock. Breathtaking. A must see.

1. San Francisco Chronicle
    Reviewed by: Mick LaSalle
    Jun 23, 2013
    The latest in the wonderful "Before" series does three important things: It breaks out of the courtship formula, yet retains the series' quality, and it moves the lives of Celine (Julie Delpy) and Jesse (Ethan Hawke) forward in ways that are satisfying and believable. True, a romance you once envied might now be a relationship you'd not want to be in, but as long as Celine and Jesse are still talking, there's hope.
  2. Reviewed by: Philip Kemp
    Jun 21, 2013
    A more-than-worthy, expectations-exceeding chapter in one of modern cinema’s finest love stories. As honest, convincing, funny, intimate and natural as its predecessors.
  3. Reviewed by: Dave Calhoun
    Jun 21, 2013
    Luckily, Hawke and Delpy remain as charming as ever, and their combined goofiness is more endearing than annoying. Winning, too, is the sense that this peculiar project, though imperfect, could grow old with its audience and its cast.