8.5

1. JohnP.
    Oct 16, 2004
    Truly worth the wait. Movies can't get any better than this! A hopeless romantic's dream come true. Truly, for all of us that have been in love.
  2. RShaw
    Dec 20, 2004
    How utterly strange that a movie with average acting can be so enthralling and loaded with truth and truthful moments. Something about Hawke and Delpy's acting remind me of Christopher Reeve at his best, not quite convincing but very much charming. Yet there is a kernel of verisimilitude about the nature of love in this movie that is so fresh in execution and so powerful in the end How utterly strange that a movie with average acting can be so enthralling and loaded with truth and truthful moments. Something about Hawke and Delpy's acting remind me of Christopher Reeve at his best, not quite convincing but very much charming. Yet there is a kernel of verisimilitude about the nature of love in this movie that is so fresh in execution and so powerful in the end that it overwhelms any of this small movie's flaws. This is a film that rises about its humble exterior, becoming an instant classic on the subject of true love, shaming the collective triteness of mainstream Hollywood's offerings. Before Sunset caused me to think back on my own painful and repressed memories of love lost and won. I was deeply touched. Those that gave this movie a low score are probably the ones in life who can't see the heartrending beauty in life's less grandiose moments, and more likely have never experienced true love. But let me console you with this thought: You'll know it when you find it... or lose it. Expand
  3. NirmalK.
    Feb 6, 2005
    Must see for everyone in relationship.
  4. LL
    Apr 3, 2005
    Every single line is GREAT.
  5. NicoleMc
    May 26, 2005
    I adore this film. I watched both "before sunrise" and "before sunset" in a day, and i think the films have changed me in a way. You feel so much in such a small space of time, and it leaves you excited about falling in love. The dialogue is brilliant and it leaves you wishing that one day you will meet someone with whom you can talk like this to. My favorite scene is when Celine sings to I adore this film. I watched both "before sunrise" and "before sunset" in a day, and i think the films have changed me in a way. You feel so much in such a small space of time, and it leaves you excited about falling in love. The dialogue is brilliant and it leaves you wishing that one day you will meet someone with whom you can talk like this to. My favorite scene is when Celine sings to Jesse, The waltz was brilliant, as was she, and i was so nervous in the last few moments of the film as i had no idea what would happen!! All hopeless romantics will agree that they end up together...that jesse stays in paris. I would reecommend this to anyone...its such a beautiful story that speaks to all those who have loved, and who have loved and lost. Expand
  6. JerryH.
    Jul 2, 2004
    Brilliant. Thank you to all involved.
  7. JennyA.
    Aug 11, 2004
    I was so genuinely touched by this movie. The honesty and sincerety of the writing is unlike anything I've seen in a long time. What an amazing collaborative effort this was.
  8. PaulD.
    Aug 10, 2004
    Terrific script--romantic, yet revealing. Julie Delpy is simply wonderful. Go see it!
  9. RonaldV
    Sep 7, 2004
    I was completely hypnotised by these two utterly utterly believable characters. I love it!
  10. OltjonD.
    Dec 2, 2005
    It's wonderful, and also a great story narrated in a great way. So romantic that cannot be described.
  11. mariak
    Jan 8, 2005
    It was beautifully written and very honest.
  12. Billy
    Feb 10, 2005
    Very good movie. Even better if you have seen before sunrise. It's not really a date movie as much as an observational one, of which we all know how these characters feel.
  13. AAndrews
    Mar 5, 2005
    Beautiful. Sensual. Emotional. Perfect. It will blow you away.
  14. blownaway
    May 7, 2005
    People who didn't find it beautiful just probably haven felt love in that surreal way... the whole show, the dialogues and the unspoken feelings just blows you away... definately one of my best.
  15. EdisonF.
    Apr 6, 2006
    I love this movie because there's a girl like Celine in my life. I could not be with her because I will go abroad this fall. What a pity! I hate reality.
  16. YssysG.
    Feb 7, 2008
    The ending it's just perfect!
  17. CY.
    May 3, 2008
    Strange hybrid of incandescent emotions and real life messiness; sublime yet grounded dialogue; and the most unabashedly romantic slice of life cinema since Brief Encounter.
  18. MimiW.
    Oct 12, 2004
    Brilliant!! The best love story i have ever seen so far......good play by Ethan & Julie which create a powerful chemistry between them.
  19. VinceH.
    Jul 12, 2004
    All the critics seem to be going on and on about the ending of this movie...and for the first time, I have to agree. The last 10 minutes of this film, not to give anything away, is the some of the most beautiful & poignant screenwriting and acting this year. The last line uttered by Jesse is brilliant and very fitting. Any fans of the first film (or especially fans of the biggest All the critics seem to be going on and on about the ending of this movie...and for the first time, I have to agree. The last 10 minutes of this film, not to give anything away, is the some of the most beautiful & poignant screenwriting and acting this year. The last line uttered by Jesse is brilliant and very fitting. Any fans of the first film (or especially fans of the biggest influence of the film, French director Eric Rohmer) will be hugely impressed by this supremely romantic and assured film, made by a master filmmaker in the making (Linklater has already proven himself to be a better filmmaker than overrated American directors like Tarantino & Fincher). I have seen close to 80 movies so far in 2004, and this is the best (with Eternal Sunshine... in close 2nd). All cinema lovers should see this, and if you don't like it, don't complain and go buy a ticket for "White Chicks". Expand
  20. DianeC.
    Jul 19, 2004
    I adored this movie. Can I look forward to a Trilogy?
  21. SteveH
    Jul 31, 2004
    No Hollywood tripe or drivel. This is as honest as it gets - very natural and believable. A veritable masterpiece - and this is from someone who loves has a disinclination for even the better "chick flicks" like Serindipity, Bridget Jones Dialry and Hope Floats and prefers the likes of Alien and Independence Day. I did like Lost In Translation though.
  22. AaronS.
    Jul 3, 2004
    Wonderful-This is even BETTER than Before Sunrise. This will be one of this year's best films. Just terrific.
  23. TroyM.
    Oct 31, 2005
    I loved watching this movie...It is a pure art.
  24. sophiec
    Feb 16, 2005
    Fantastic - can't wait for the next instalment.
  25. AkbarJ.
    Feb 21, 2005
    You don't want it to end.
  26. Ni444
    Feb 28, 2005
    The most beutifully directed movie ever!! The dialogues... just take ur breath away..!!
  27. eternalsunshine
    Apr 16, 2005
    One of the best films, I ever saw - or 100 times saw. I love the dialouges, the song, the poem in Vienna, the memories of their childhoods, every single word. And it wasn't only a one-night stand.
  28. MartinF.
    Jul 16, 2005
    I just saw both movies in a row yeasterday and thought they were awesome, in before sunset the acting and directing are trying to make a point about their connection, we all know what that connection is all about, it's beyond words or even physical expression, they don't share a kiss or say I love you in the whole movie...but their looks, the sexual tension (specially when they I just saw both movies in a row yeasterday and thought they were awesome, in before sunset the acting and directing are trying to make a point about their connection, we all know what that connection is all about, it's beyond words or even physical expression, they don't share a kiss or say I love you in the whole movie...but their looks, the sexual tension (specially when they are going upstaris to her apartment are great) just loved it, thought it was as simple and as complex as it needed to be...their acwardness in the first minutes until everything pops back up to the surfece and passion and all sorts of feelings from then on. Expand
  29. Something
    Sep 10, 2005
    A masterpiece! Linklater is a genius! Entertainment like this is rare because it is at once provocative, funny, and breathtaking. Those who don't appreciate it know little about what cinema really is. One of the finest stories ever told.
  30. Manda
    Sep 15, 2005
    This movie is lovely. A friend and I stumbled upon Before Sunrise when we were maybe fifteen and we rented obsessively, never knowing anyone but us had ever even heard of the little film. When I saw they were doing a follow-up, I was intrigued. I hadn't seen the first film in almost a decade, so seeing the characters again, years later, just as they were seeing each other again after This movie is lovely. A friend and I stumbled upon Before Sunrise when we were maybe fifteen and we rented obsessively, never knowing anyone but us had ever even heard of the little film. When I saw they were doing a follow-up, I was intrigued. I hadn't seen the first film in almost a decade, so seeing the characters again, years later, just as they were seeing each other again after so much time had passed was surreal. I would suggest anyone just coming upon these films watch one immediately and then hold off a month or two- sit with it for awhile before viewing the follow-up. It'll put you in their shoes a bit, in the best possible way. Expand

The sequel is an uninterrupted 80-minute dialogue between two richly imagined and performed characters.
  2. This is one of the most wildly romantic movies in ages.
    There is something uniquely unforgettable in the way Linklater, Hawke and Delpy (equal collaborators on the script) find nuance, art and eroticism in words, spoken and unspoken. The actors shine.