7.5

1. Jul 28, 2013
    Light-hearted comedy! As an Indian I can completely relate to this movie. Well directed and not-so-bad acting. Not the most innovative movie but thoroughly enjoyable. Absolutely loved it!
    Mar 10, 2009
    Great movie with plenty of humor. And I'm Indian, so I know how dead on the movie is about revealing Indian culture in the Western World. But my parents don't mind when I date white girls. Other than that, it's really accurate.
  3. PatriciaC.
    Sep 10, 2007
    What a brilliant film i love jonathan rhys meyers he is so hot and it just shows that women can play football hope there is going to be a second film.
  4. VintonH.
    Dec 25, 2006
    A movie that transcends cultural limitations and offers the hope that our common humanity will rescue us from parochialism.
  5. KristinaD.
    Nov 24, 2006
    An immensely enjoyable film with lots of energy and wonderfully acted!
  6. B.F.
    Jun 15, 2006
    i loved this movie it was great i want 2 get it on dvd.
  7. B.C
    Jun 9, 2006
    This was an awesome movie. I reckon that some of you guys that gave it 0 just can't deal with the fact that girls can be independent. There definately should be a Bend It Like Beckham 2.
  8. sarab.
    Dec 24, 2005
    I also like joe the coach he is bloody sexy.
  9. RalfJ.
    Jul 8, 2005
    Very cheesy movie, predictable, full of lame stereotypes. The Indian director thinks she is a genius, I'm afraid not hun. Very dissapointing movie; way over-hyped and waste of brain cells. It could of at least had 200 Indians breaking out in one of those stupid dances! :)
  10. Christina
    Apr 5, 2005
    Absolutely Great!
  11. VictoriaM.
    Feb 4, 2005
    I love this movie, Joe the coach is beautifyl!!!!! jess is a very good actress. i think there should be a Bend it like Beckhan 2. Jonathna Rhys meyers is the sexiest man ever!!!!!
  12. IlzeS.
    Dec 26, 2004
    Good movie. Knightley is great, could be better, but its really good.
  13. EthanP.
    Dec 14, 2004
    So forgettable. I can't even remember why it was so bad.
  14. BrittanyH.
    Nov 27, 2004
    Great movie.
  15. ~*nao*~.
    Oct 30, 2004
    This movie is an excellent example for young viewers as to how parents may tend to be strict. But that in the end it is for the good of the child. It also shows that the dreams of a child if worked hard towards can be achieved. Overall this movie was truly inspiring and a joy to watch!!!
  16. AndrewM
    Sep 8, 2004
    This is an undeniably enjoyable film. Whether I want to deny that or not (and I don't) I was thoroughly entertained by it! Chadra has done some wonderful work here - the film sinks you into the story and character's lives so subtely that you're hooked before you know it. Suprisingly, I didn't find it as funny as I was expecting, though I did laugh loudly more than This is an undeniably enjoyable film. Whether I want to deny that or not (and I don't) I was thoroughly entertained by it! Chadra has done some wonderful work here - the film sinks you into the story and character's lives so subtely that you're hooked before you know it. Suprisingly, I didn't find it as funny as I was expecting, though I did laugh loudly more than once, and I certainly wasn't expecting the plot structure to follow such prescribed lines. However the filmmaking was obviously in skilled hands, and the fanciful overtones and sincere handling won me over completely. It breaks no new ground for cinema but still manages to be a minor augmentation to its history. If nothing else, the film succeeds in its attempts at inspiration and personal enrichment, and it is a great way to pass a couple of hours. Not to be morally or politically dissected, just watch and enjoy! Expand
  17. AmenaM.
    Aug 17, 2004
    I loved this movie, i watched it like twelve times in a row. the music was also very good.
  18. Lil_sams
    Jul 19, 2004
    It was a good movie. It wasnt suppossed to be based on stereotypes or any of that. I also think that if your that stupid that u cannot understand what they are saying, then instead of coming here to put down the film, which i might add u would neva be able to make, maybe u should do a bit of research into their culture.
  19. TinaS.
    Jul 1, 2004
    I've watched it over..and over...and over....
  20. K.D.
    Jun 7, 2004
    This movie was great! The clothing was awesome as was the acting! I enjoyed this movie very much!
  21. SaerA.
    Apr 18, 2004
    I enjoyed Bend It Like Beckham, it was sweet and charming!
  22. SunnyS.
    Mar 28, 2004
    Crappy film that emphasizes on stereotypes and making cultural traditions seem silly. I'm actually Indian (Sikh to be exact) and I find the film offensive as it promotes the wrong kind of stereotypes. Even then, this was a poor excuse for a comedy, no real punchlines or significant points. The only remote thing that was remotely was the guy admitting he was gay which even that was Crappy film that emphasizes on stereotypes and making cultural traditions seem silly. I'm actually Indian (Sikh to be exact) and I find the film offensive as it promotes the wrong kind of stereotypes. Even then, this was a poor excuse for a comedy, no real punchlines or significant points. The only remote thing that was remotely was the guy admitting he was gay which even that was quite poor. If you want to watch a real comedy based on Asians (Indians/Pakistanis) go watch "East Is East." Expand
  23. JaredG.
    Mar 23, 2004
    This movie was terrible i had to put the captions on and turn up my tv and i still didn't understand what they were saying. this movie was garbage. who cares if keira knightley was in it. It still sucked!
  24. JoeB.
    Jan 12, 2004
    Super Flick!!!
  25. ShaneM.
    Jan 12, 2004
    I just love this movie. What a fun, light, funny movie about pursuing your dreams and clashing cultures. Is it the best-made movie ever? No. Is it one of my favorites of the year? You bet. Love the characters, love the soccer shots, love the way they use the music!
  26. MaryN.
    Dec 7, 2003
    Such a cute movie... I've watched it over and over...
  27. C.B.
    Nov 21, 2003
    The most offensive stereotypes are the way that women are portrayed. the moms are ninnies. even the sports girls need men to rescue them -- dads to intercede with the ninny moms; gay cousin to intercede with the dads, and male coach to make them stars. oh, yeah, these female sports heroes have to have cat fight over the male coach. what a shame this is touted as a role model movie forThe most offensive stereotypes are the way that women are portrayed. the moms are ninnies. even the sports girls need men to rescue them -- dads to intercede with the ninny moms; gay cousin to intercede with the dads, and male coach to make them stars. oh, yeah, these female sports heroes have to have cat fight over the male coach. what a shame this is touted as a role model movie for young girls. Expand
  28. SeanM.
    Nov 12, 2003
    A wonderful movie about an indian girls coming of age. The acting is on with Keira and Parminder, although the rest of the cast is a bit questionable. The movie is done quite well and it engaged my interests quite often. It leaves you feeling very good at the end and leaves ultimately satisfied.
  29. JamesN.
    Nov 2, 2003
    Well intentioned but sooo predictable. Happy ethnic cliches with happy happy ending.
  30. ChristopherP.
    Nov 1, 2003
    The only movie that I have watched 6 nights in a row, all the way thru, in quite a long time.
  31. L.G.
    Oct 27, 2003
    Every tired cliche is pulled out of the bag for this one. You name it, it's in there. An incredibly predictable bore. And the gay character's "coming out" to the main character is done in such an immature way as to be unworthy of even the worst high school theatre class melodrama. "I like Beckham. No, I REALLY like Beckham." Ah, you must be gay, then. Gotcha. Skip this one.
  32. JoeA.
    Oct 25, 2003
    OK plot but predictable. Is it just me, or are the English accents so heavy you miss half the dialog?
  33. Jeremy
    Oct 16, 2003
    The sitcomish, My Big Fat Greek Wedding like moments with Jess's parents is what will drive mainstream America to the film, but the best parts lie in the three-dimentionalism of its main characters.
  34. JeannieE.
    Oct 2, 2003
    East meets West, Old Ways meet modern Ways, An excellent script & direction by Gurinder Chandha with good casting and a real nice soundtrack. A movie for the whole family. Should be nominated for an Oscar.
  35. KuniD.
    Sep 29, 2003
    Cheesy movie all the way! I have grown up watching Indian movies and I know what is good and what is not more or less. This movie has good reviews but I just don't get it. It is cheesy all the way. Monsoon Wedding and ofcourse LAGAAN is way better. Even the Indian families living in UK are shown to be so strict when in reality, it is a rare case. It is just too much of naty Cheesy movie all the way! I have grown up watching Indian movies and I know what is good and what is not more or less. This movie has good reviews but I just don't get it. It is cheesy all the way. Monsoon Wedding and ofcourse LAGAAN is way better. Even the Indian families living in UK are shown to be so strict when in reality, it is a rare case. It is just too much of naty cheesiness......(who knows you might like it though. I didn'ttt!) Expand
  36. Fantasy
    Aug 16, 2003
    Lassister I'm with you. I just saw this movie based on all the good reviews. Although it is not a bad movie, you are correct that it is the same scene repeated over and over. I had a very difficult time as it seemed tedious and predictable throughout.
  37. Lassister
    Aug 11, 2003
    Sorry, Charlie but after one hour of the same plot repeated over and over I walked out of the theater. I understand that the mother did not want her daughter playing soccer for cultural reasons, but then the same storyline got to the point where it was boring. Not my cup of tea. Sorry.
  38. VivianaM.
    Jul 24, 2003
    Nathan rhys meyers is so f**king hott.... you need more pictures of him and i loved the entire movie. It feels good to actually see a movie that has some of your culture in it.
  39. VinitaD.
    Jul 24, 2003
    What can I say? After watching Bend It Like Beckham about 100 times...I still love it!!!! I can totally relate!!!!
  40. PaulaW.
    Jul 14, 2003
    If only every formula flick were this much fun. The formula in this case is My Big Fat Ethnic Family: 16-year-old Jess can bend a soccer ball like Beckham, but her family wants her to settle down and learn to cook "full Indian dinner" so she can catch a boy. This movie gets going and never lets you down, from Jess's foofy older sister to her friend's insanely girly mom to the If only every formula flick were this much fun. The formula in this case is My Big Fat Ethnic Family: 16-year-old Jess can bend a soccer ball like Beckham, but her family wants her to settle down and learn to cook "full Indian dinner" so she can catch a boy. This movie gets going and never lets you down, from Jess's foofy older sister to her friend's insanely girly mom to the jump-cut athleticism to a teenage love triangle. Even the serious situations are played lightly enough to get a laugh at some point. There's even a bit of drama (I'll admit to a few tears during the pivotal soccer match/wedding scene). [And yeah, I'm American and I said "soccer" - so sue me.] Do yourself a favor and go see this before summer is over. Expand
  41. BootItNonchalantlyLikeGilbertMulroneycakes
    Jul 12, 2003
    Thank you, Cozoni W (nice name). I've got nothing against Gridiron, but why do you people call the thing Football? For a start, you carry it, you don't kick it. For a second it's not really a ball. For a third the name's taken already. Oh, never mind. This is a very good little film, a fun little sports comedy (which actually came out before My Big Fat Greek Etc). The Thank you, Cozoni W (nice name). I've got nothing against Gridiron, but why do you people call the thing Football? For a start, you carry it, you don't kick it. For a second it's not really a ball. For a third the name's taken already. Oh, never mind. This is a very good little film, a fun little sports comedy (which actually came out before My Big Fat Greek Etc). The person complaining about Keira Knightley being attractive - as if it matters - should note that she was really cast because of her age and her relatively high profile (over here anyway), rather than how she looked. Surprised it's done so well over there - America being the only country in the developed world that, for some obscure reason, can't be doing with Football. Pleasantly, mind. And if British Critic Andrew Collins is reading this , you seem to have misplaced two stars on your rating for this film. You berk. Expand
  42. CozoniW.
    Jul 4, 2003
    Great Film, Kiera Knightley is a reason to watch alone. And the sport is called Football not Soccer by the way.
  43. Katie
    Jul 2, 2003
    A great movie. Very funny. Can't wait to buy it when it comes out on DVD!
  44. JessicaA.
    Jun 27, 2003
    It's my new favorite movie!
  45. KatrinaI.
    Jun 22, 2003
    This is a realy cool movie, it has a good story and they actors know their part of the movie.
  46. HarkiratK.
    Jun 17, 2003
    Well I have no comments about it but there is something i'll like to say and that is "this story is abou t a girl who wants to deal with sports but her parents are pushing her to cook and clean like a really iindian girl" so this story deals with my life a lot and i'm happy to find out that there is always something or someway everyone will be happy even you................
  47. MichelleP.
    May 31, 2003
    It's not as enjoyable as "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" or as funny (there were many dramatic scenes in this film) but it is enjoyable. But after a while, I couldn't help but think, "WHEN will this movie end?" I personally think it'd make a better novel than a movie, but it's good and sweet.
  48. ScottS.
    May 21, 2003
    This movie was just awful. It wasn't funny, it wasn't even fun. The way it portrayed overacted stereotypes was bad. The storyline was familiar and predictable, only it was set in an Indian family. In what was an attempt to be an ethnic comedy worthy of My Big Fat Greek Wedding comparisons, Bend It Like Beckham failed in every way.
  49. ChadS.
    May 20, 2003
    While watching a girls' soccer match, Jess' friend tells the other guys to look at the women as athletes, not sex objects. And yet, the casting of Keira Knightley(who's every bit as attractive as Anna Kournikova) would seem problematic if the film's agenda is to foreground the woman as competitor. "Bend It Like Beckham" would've been more effective if the two While watching a girls' soccer match, Jess' friend tells the other guys to look at the women as athletes, not sex objects. And yet, the casting of Keira Knightley(who's every bit as attractive as Anna Kournikova) would seem problematic if the film's agenda is to foreground the woman as competitor. "Bend It Like Beckham" would've been more effective if the two female leads looked more ordinary, but my awareness of feminist ideology didn't prevent me from liking it. The cross-cutting between the Indian wedding and the important soccer match is a lot of fun. Expand
  50. SarabjitS.
    May 14, 2003
    We need more movies like it now days when every body is suspicious of "brown color" and hardly anybody know about North Indians/Sikhs.
  51. JamesP.
    May 14, 2003
    It's a crap film.
  52. AteshP.
    May 11, 2003
    You MUST see this movie! I'm normally a lover of "deep", indie, psychologically challenging films etc. but I loved this one!
  53. PhillipF.
    May 9, 2003
    This movie was similar to Greek Wedding but not as good. It has an interesting and funny story line.
  54. L.J.Games
    Apr 26, 2003
    I love this movie!!!! I would love to meet you main charictors in the movie. I loved it loads! :-))))))))))
  55. MarcK.
    Apr 26, 2003
    Sure it was formulaic and predictable, but it was also sweet and a lot of fun. I don't think we've seen the last of Keira Knightley.
  56. DanielS.
    Apr 20, 2003
    It's enjoyable, warm-hearted and funny. And it's a feel-good movie that actually makes you feel good.
  57. FredS.
    Apr 14, 2003
    It's excellent.....u don't have to think alot just watch it an dlaugh...it's a feel god movie....all those reviews that say it wasn't all that over analysis things.
  58. BiancaL.
    Apr 13, 2003
    Wonderful. warm spirited, funny, sweet and happy are the words that describe this film. I loved it!!
  59. AmeliaI.
    Mar 16, 2003
    A great soundtrack, and wonderful shots of the soccer action.

1. Director and co-writer Gurinder Chadha continues in the vein of her previous movies, "What's Cooking?" and "Bhaji on the Beach," exploring with humor and compassion how cultures adapt in foreign climes.
    Lightweight, thoroughly charming fluff.
    Bend It Like Beckham is supposedly a movie about youth; its biggest shortcoming is that it rarely feels young.