Beowulf

6.3

1. Feb 24, 2015
    Beowulf is a fun cheap ride that you will walk away and forget. However while in the film, you will enjoy yourself, but maybe feel a little unsatisfied.
  2. Sep 30, 2011
    "Beowulf" is a epic remake of the original tale of vikings. It lacks the depth or symbolism of the characters, but it certainly does have the glorious gore and blood going on.
  3. Aug 16, 2013
    Robert Zemeckis made a well animated 3-D epic but nothing that I observe is special. The first half is dull and second half has a bit more gore and kiddish story of the book and epics is not well used but some fun provides. In voice acting or CGI acting its cool but nothing special. The ending is clueless and characters have no depth or story. The 3-D is good, yeah but could have been usedRobert Zemeckis made a well animated 3-D epic but nothing that I observe is special. The first half is dull and second half has a bit more gore and kiddish story of the book and epics is not well used but some fun provides. In voice acting or CGI acting its cool but nothing special. The ending is clueless and characters have no depth or story. The 3-D is good, yeah but could have been used well. The gore and violence is endless and the UNRATED version is worse. Zemeckis makes the real he digs in deep and makes it up to serve the nudity, sex, gore and violence of this dull war epic. Expand
  4. RobJ.
    Feb 29, 2008
    Looks okay but a trifle tedious.
  5. NickA.
    Nov 16, 2007
    We
  6. BrandonW.
    Nov 16, 2007
    I could say that this was a exciting film, but I couldn't do that. The film was complete flaw. It didn't match up to all the hipe and expectation, I found it to be. Though it did have its moments, that were truely grand. But it still didn't help my judgement on this film, Beowulf.
  7. JoshC
    Nov 17, 2007
    I was highly dissapointed in this movie, I thought this movie was going to be very action packed but it shows 5min of that and the rest is boredom. The plot is okay but uninteresting and a bit obviouis. O and the worst ending ever. The only reason i give this a 4 is because the visual effects are outstanding, its a stunning movie but this just didn't have a great plot or action, I was highly dissapointed in this movie, I thought this movie was going to be very action packed but it shows 5min of that and the rest is boredom. The plot is okay but uninteresting and a bit obviouis. O and the worst ending ever. The only reason i give this a 4 is because the visual effects are outstanding, its a stunning movie but this just didn't have a great plot or action, sorry i didnt think this movie wasn't so great imo. Expand
  8. BobT.
    Nov 17, 2007
    first off, let me say one thing: anyone who comes to this movie looking for great CG animation is in for a visual treat. there is no denying that...the animation is downright amazing, i forgot i was watching animation at times. however, anybody expecting anything more will be dissapointed. we could go through the laundry list of why everything else was horrible, but instead lets just first off, let me say one thing: anyone who comes to this movie looking for great CG animation is in for a visual treat. there is no denying that...the animation is downright amazing, i forgot i was watching animation at times. however, anybody expecting anything more will be dissapointed. we could go through the laundry list of why everything else was horrible, but instead lets just summarize: no plot, over-the-top violence and nudity, horrible acting, hilariously cheesy lines, etc, etc... and if anyone wants to know, i did not read the poem and i don't care if the adaptation was "faithful" or not...i only care that it was bad. in short, pretty face but nothing else. Expand
  9. JamesA.
    Nov 18, 2007
    The first half of this film is a bit dull and for the life of me I cannot fathom the purpose of the gratuitous semi-nudity of the animated actors. It was more of a tease than anything erotically satisfying. The last half of the film is more interesting to watch, but overall I found the film tedious and overly long. Beowulf sounds like Richard Burton and I could almost swear I heard Orson The first half of this film is a bit dull and for the life of me I cannot fathom the purpose of the gratuitous semi-nudity of the animated actors. It was more of a tease than anything erotically satisfying. The last half of the film is more interesting to watch, but overall I found the film tedious and overly long. Beowulf sounds like Richard Burton and I could almost swear I heard Orson Wells in there...somewhere. I suppose it was intended to impress me but the characters had no real life in them, their eyes were "soulless". It constantly reminded me of "The Polar Express". I wouldn't purchase the DVD even if it was $4.99 at Wal-Mart. Angelina Jolie? I wonder how much they paid her? What ever it was, it was too much. I didn't begin to enjoy it until the end and when it was over, I was glad. Expand
  10. ChrisC
    Nov 19, 2007
    Might have been a good movie if they didn't blatantly sex it up for the male 13-29 demographic. It's hard to suspend disbelief when you can tell every second that you're being pandered to. Filmmakers also need to realize that overuse of CGI makes it extremely hard to suspend disbelief.
  11. syzygy
    Nov 19, 2007
    Stunning visuals. I'm amazed how far the technology has come and imagine where it will be in a few years. Its impact on the economics and traditional production of film-making will be resounding. The only serious flaw I care to dwell on also concerns the CGI. For all its achievements with realism, its still cannot replicate pathos or any of the subtler shades of feeling that Stunning visuals. I'm amazed how far the technology has come and imagine where it will be in a few years. Its impact on the economics and traditional production of film-making will be resounding. The only serious flaw I care to dwell on also concerns the CGI. For all its achievements with realism, its still cannot replicate pathos or any of the subtler shades of feeling that constitute fine dramas. Characters appear sallow, their faces and eyes lack vitality, and their interactions are distant. Expand
  12. Bruce
    Nov 23, 2007
    Great looking film, but weak in a lot of areas. Overall I can only give it a 5 out of 10.
  13. SatturnoM.
    Nov 24, 2007
    Very boring.
  14. TonyS.
    Nov 24, 2007
    Overall I thought this film was okay. It was worth seeing in the theater, however the odds of my buying it are still low.
  15. LS650
    Nov 25, 2007
    Great visuals, but a mediocre story and stiff 'acting' make for a so-so movie. 5 out of 10.
  16. Troll
    Dec 2, 2007
    The mixed between animation and reality is too confused. It could be the violent side of Fairytopia.
  17. CliveS.
    Dec 3, 2007
    I went into the film with some trepidation, and came away feeling that I just just watched something between Shrek and Austin Powers. Beowulf himself had the voice of Ray Winstone, but the look of Sean Bean. Worst of all seemed to be the inconsistency of dialects; whoever heard of a cockney South African? The story was well told and some sequences were very well done, but not much good to I went into the film with some trepidation, and came away feeling that I just just watched something between Shrek and Austin Powers. Beowulf himself had the voice of Ray Winstone, but the look of Sean Bean. Worst of all seemed to be the inconsistency of dialects; whoever heard of a cockney South African? The story was well told and some sequences were very well done, but not much good to say about a 2-hour film. Expand
  18. RobS
    Dec 5, 2007
    If you already know the story of Beowulf, your going to be relying on the graphics and violence to entertain you, fortunately for the flim theyve done a cracking job with it. the long range sweeping visuals are just stunning, and the violence is at time comically ott. Mr Malkovic is the star of the show in terms of acting, with sir Anthony a modest second. My favourite bit is the naked fight.
  19. GeorginaK.
    Dec 10, 2007
    Here is a thought! Abolish the MPAA rating system. Since apparently the one in place absolutely cannot be trusted. I quote from the MPAA PG-13 guidelines, "More than brief nudity will require at least a PG-13 rating, but such nudity in a PG-13 rated motion picture generally will not be sexually oriented." Wow, I guess I was imaging things because I could have sworn while watching Beowulf Here is a thought! Abolish the MPAA rating system. Since apparently the one in place absolutely cannot be trusted. I quote from the MPAA PG-13 guidelines, "More than brief nudity will require at least a PG-13 rating, but such nudity in a PG-13 rated motion picture generally will not be sexually oriented." Wow, I guess I was imaging things because I could have sworn while watching Beowulf that not only is the nudity in this picture prolonged, but it extremely sexuality oriented, having unrelenting sexual references throughout the moving as well. Oh, and don't forget the obvious sexual moaning during a scene with nearly fully exposed heaving breasts either. The sexual wording is such that it carefully and conveniently circumvents direct reference to sex using antiquated wording like "fornication" and "having knowledge," while sexual acts, some of which are highly incestuous, are explicitly implied. Furthermore, the violence in this movie is over the top. "There may be depictions of violence in a PG-13 movie, but generally not both realistic and extreme or persistent violence." The violence in this movie is highly realistic, extreme, and persistent. Due to the 3-D effects, this movie is quite intense. This movie obviously belongs in a category higher than PG-13- the MPAA system guidelines state so plain as day. Who needs an MPAA system anyway. The movie industry clearly does not care about rating a movie properly, only about appealing to as many demographic areas as possible at the same time in order to make as much money as possible. Expand
  20. thedude
    Dec 12, 2007
    My concern about this movie is: who is the intended audience? As an animated feature often displayed in 3D, it would have been a gold-mine if it was a movie you could take children to. But, it clearly isn't geared towards children. It has far too much sexual content and violence to be kid friendly. A lot of the stuff they chose to put in seems pretty dumb and gratuitous too. On the My concern about this movie is: who is the intended audience? As an animated feature often displayed in 3D, it would have been a gold-mine if it was a movie you could take children to. But, it clearly isn't geared towards children. It has far too much sexual content and violence to be kid friendly. A lot of the stuff they chose to put in seems pretty dumb and gratuitous too. On the other hand, the 3D, if you go see it in that format, is outstanding. It's absolutely brilliant in some parts. So, without the 3D, I'd probably rate the movie a 2 or a 3, but if you like 3D and animation, and are cool with a lot of gratuitous innuendo, some cgi nudity, and some blood and guts, then you'll probably have a good time. Definitely more of a ride than a movie, I would say, and it's all about the 3D. Expand
  21. WhitneyW.
    Dec 13, 2007
    Little of what we find in the epic is presented in the film, but such must be expected of a screenplay drawn from so rich a work. Rather than presenting and exploring any one of the old ideas, though, this movie seems to flirt with some, and totally misunderstand others. It tells its own original tale of a repeating chain of nobility, pride, temptation, regret and atonement, but that Little of what we find in the epic is presented in the film, but such must be expected of a screenplay drawn from so rich a work. Rather than presenting and exploring any one of the old ideas, though, this movie seems to flirt with some, and totally misunderstand others. It tells its own original tale of a repeating chain of nobility, pride, temptation, regret and atonement, but that story gets easily lost among clumsy jabs at the epic themes. It would have been better off to have claimed no relation to the epic whatsoever. It could even stand on its own as merely a healthy mix of sex and violence. Expand
  22. PamT.
    Dec 16, 2007
    Should be R or 'PG-17' due to disturbing images. The graphics are beautifully done and the story line has Beowulf jumping off the pages of this ancient story. Casting very well done.
  23. MattM
    Dec 28, 2007
    If you go into this movie just looking for a bit of fun it will deliver just fine. If you can't see this in 3D then I really wouldn't recommend it. I am a fan of the original poem and was dissapointed when important themes were left our and annoying modern themes were added. All in all, they made a fun average movie that could have been much, much, better.
  24. Tessa
    Jan 23, 2008
    Not the worst movie but 300 was way better, it seemed more real.. don't care for the 3-D.. seemed too cartoony.
  25. JayH.
    Feb 22, 2008
    The computer enhanced live action seems to be the main focus of the film, and once the novelty of that wears off, it doesn't leave much substance. It is impressive to watch however and I was never bored, but by the end I was a little tired of it.
  26. AdrianP.
    Feb 28, 2008
    Why motion capture this? Wouldn't it be better without the creepy dead eye computer generated actors (who look just like the real life actors anyway)? The story was all right, but you got the feeling it could've been so much better.
  27. kenC
    Mar 5, 2008
    It's a cartoon - if you go from that premise it's not too bad. I thought some of the scenes were in poor taste early on which took away from the story which was okay to watch. A little better editing would have helped out some. The format has promise.
  28. Apr 13, 2011
    Risible accents ("I am Beowulf. Come to kill your monstah - Innit"), hamfisted choreography, and neither-fish-nor-fowl between real actor and cartoon character, this patient presented as a film that couldn't decide whether it wanted to be comedy or horror and ended up being neither. Epically boring.

Still, it could have been Norse...
  29. Oct 3, 2011
    I surrender myself to the fact that the film's story is taken from scratch and based on nothing, is a failure in terms of history. It is the same as saying that the word "Hoifk" is a race of elves. Anyone could create an history like this by pressing randomly at any keyboard letters.
  30. Nov 8, 2012
    Beowulf is a combination of great CGI and an incredibly odd, incoherent script that puzzles any intelligent viewer beyond belief. It is, though, somehow watchable.
  31. Nov 28, 2012
    It's a pretty film, but its fairly off-putting plot and characters make it a truly unsavory film experience.

1. Director Robert Zemeckis not only deploys 21st century movie technology at its finest to turn the heroic poem into a vibrant, nerve-tingling piece of pop culture, but his film actually makes sense of Beowulf. In Zemeckis' hands, it's an intriguing look at a hero as a flawed human being.
  2. Reviewed by: Justin Chang
    For all its visual sweep and propulsively violent action, this bloodthirsty rendition of the Old English epic can't overcome the disadvantage of being enacted by digital waxworks rather than flesh-and-blood Danes and demons.
  3. Reviewed by: Tom Ambrose
    It’s not a reinvention of the wheel, but in 3D this is an astonishing experience that borders on ‘must-see’, and raises the bar for what James Cameron is planning with Avatar. And you’ll be glad to know that the creepy dead eyes thing has been fixed.