6.3

1. Nov 18, 2011
    The animation and the story are incredible. Definitely one of the best movies ever made. I can't wait to watch it again. One of those movies that make the real world so boring for a few days after you watch it.
  2. Oct 23, 2010
    I loved this movie. I thought it brought a difficult text to life, giving it a new interpretation suited for cinematic length and modern audiences, and would be brilliant for A level literature students. When this poem was first written down it had already been narrated by travelling storytellers for centuries, changing and improvising it into many versions, so those who complain itI loved this movie. I thought it brought a difficult text to life, giving it a new interpretation suited for cinematic length and modern audiences, and would be brilliant for A level literature students. When this poem was first written down it had already been narrated by travelling storytellers for centuries, changing and improvising it into many versions, so those who complain it isn't a strict interpretation should see it in its historical context. I thought the animation was brilliant; dark , chilling, horrific, gory and allowing fight sequences worthy of its heroes. The cast, even behind their animated avatars, were brave and noble. And I thought the story of Grendel's mother was a great plot idea giving an extra, modern twist to the tragedy. All in all, one of the best movies I have seen for ages. Expand
  3. Apr 7, 2013
    I love this movie, one of my favorites. Even though it didn't follow the story of the book as much as I would have preferred, the movie has it's own little storyline thing that is very good. The CGI is extremely well done, as is the script. And the actors they used are amazing. This is the most underrated movie of all time.
  4. FredJ.
    Nov 14, 2007
    Awesome.
  5. DarinV.
    Nov 15, 2007
    I started by trying to pick out the mistakes and ended up just being engulfed in a good movie. I saw the 3d screening and I really enjoyed it. Hurray for technology... Art comes in many forms and good art often creates a commentary. There has never been art that was meant to keep the people quiet. As they say "Any news is good news!"
  6. Leonard
    Nov 17, 2007
    This movie was amazing! a must see in IMAX.....i could not belive the level of detail in the characters! this is truly groundbreaking in terms of total cgi movies are concerned. a blast of a movie! plan on seeing again...oh yes!
  7. JonW.
    Nov 17, 2007
    Now ranks as one of my favorite films, all-time!
  8. CharlieS.
    Nov 18, 2007
    This movie was great. Action was great. The book was good too. The movie didnt really 100% go along with the book but it was well made. If you see the movie in IMAX it is INCREDIBLE.
  9. RayanC
    Nov 18, 2007
    Beowulf is top notch. The scenes were amazing. with the 3d look I was blown away. It was great.
  10. MicaM.
    Nov 18, 2007
    I recently read the book (poem) and the movie turned out to be very good even though there were some flaws. The animation was really great. I didn't think it would be like this, but it was amazing. The action was good and the whole concept was great.
  11. ThomasH.
    Nov 18, 2007
    Great. Amazing. Please win Oscar nomination.
  12. RileyK.
    Nov 18, 2007
    Great. Barely any flaws. But great.
  13. ChampL.
    Nov 18, 2007
    I like how this movie had great new 3d animation. it was so great that i want to see it again.
  14. CharlesT.
    Nov 18, 2007
    I love Robert Zemeckis. Even though some of his movies were downfalls, this movie was good. The 3d animation was amazing. How is that done? Great. Should win best animation for Oscar.
  15. SpencerC.
    Nov 18, 2007
    The animation for this film was nothing short of awe-inspiring. The story played perfectly to Niel Gaiman's strength: Re-inventing mythology. Despite what some people may say, this is a recreation, not a changing of the original story. It is BASED on the original epic poem, not an exact telling of it. Despite this, it is fairly faithful to the story for the most part. Niel The animation for this film was nothing short of awe-inspiring. The story played perfectly to Niel Gaiman's strength: Re-inventing mythology. Despite what some people may say, this is a recreation, not a changing of the original story. It is BASED on the original epic poem, not an exact telling of it. Despite this, it is fairly faithful to the story for the most part. Niel Gaiman's storytelling genius truly comes through to create an epic masterpiece. One must keep in mind that the original story was written hundreds of years ago, so the method of storytelling is a bit different from todays status quo for action-fantasy movies. If you see it expecting that, you will be disappointed, but if you view it with an open mind, you will have the time of your life. So much meaning can be drawn from this movie (Birth, life, and death or the follies of man and the consequences thereof to name a couple). My one complaint is Angelina Jolie. She plays her part well, and her voice works, but she absolutely does not look the part. She just looks too much like herself, which distracts from the story. That was the only thing in the movie that I could find to complain about. I absolutely recommend watching this film... several times... Expand
  16. GeorgeH.
    Nov 18, 2007
    Wonderfully enjoyable and unexpectedly sexy - and I'm talking about the hunky, naked lead himself! If you're gonna see it, you MUST experience it in 3-D. It made movie-going an actual event.
  17. JoeD.
    Nov 18, 2007
    Beowulf is truly an epic film. Many people will be turned off by the films use of CG, but sitting back and taking in the film is one of the best movie experiences I've seen in a very long time. This movie is downright haunting at how well the characters can instill their emotion in the spectator.
  18. SteveT
    Nov 19, 2007
    First of all, don't pay attention to the critics that only enjoy movies about gay swans and kids with one arm. This movie is for the warrior at heart. I really enjoyed this retelling of a classic. I like the contrast that shows the difference between the deeds of heroes and their lives. . It shows the human falicy that can exist in even the most legendary of men. Also the 3-D was First of all, don't pay attention to the critics that only enjoy movies about gay swans and kids with one arm. This movie is for the warrior at heart. I really enjoyed this retelling of a classic. I like the contrast that shows the difference between the deeds of heroes and their lives. . It shows the human falicy that can exist in even the most legendary of men. Also the 3-D was spectacular. Axes, swords, blood, guts, and fire right in your face! Top notch stuff!. I am defiantly going to see this again. If you want gay swans..stick to the art house. If you want satisfying action with some sword swinging gusto..check out BEOWULF! Expand
  19. JosephA
    Nov 19, 2007
    I really liked it! Adventure packed!
  20. dglitcher
    Nov 19, 2007
    Best thing I have ever scene in digital 3d at IMAX . the whole movie through is packed with the 3d effect . Unlike nightmare before Christmas which redid 2 scenes and the opening credits in the 3d. .... cant wait till Phillips wowvx is out . This will be the best showcase of what digital 3d can do .
  21. JoeyF.
    Nov 19, 2007
    You don't go to movies like Troy, 300 and Beowulf for a perfectly scripted, deep original story. You go for the glory, the epic scope and the sheer beauty of the art. You go for the battles, the over the top love stories and the universal connection. They're kind of what I imagine musicals must be for girls...kind of cheesy yes but that's beside the point. This movie You don't go to movies like Troy, 300 and Beowulf for a perfectly scripted, deep original story. You go for the glory, the epic scope and the sheer beauty of the art. You go for the battles, the over the top love stories and the universal connection. They're kind of what I imagine musicals must be for girls...kind of cheesy yes but that's beside the point. This movie delivered above and beyond in every category I went to it for. Beauty, passion, excitement, epic battles and a timeless epic story. People that complain about the plot forget that it's based on (and an an improvement on in my opinion) an ancient story that's really pretty straight forward. If you want a sweet unique touching movie go see Lars and the Real Girl. If you want an balls to the wall, sexy as hell, blood and guts thrill ride go see Beowulf. You won't be disappointed!! Expand
  22. JeffK.
    Nov 21, 2007
    This movie was purely entertaining. Solid story, great voice acting and stunning special effects. This will prove to be a high water mark in CGI actor movies much like Terminator 2 was for live action film.
  23. ChuckW.
    Nov 22, 2007
    Not the greatest adventure movie of all time, but definitely not the worst, either. Yes, there are some corny lines, but this isn't supposed to be Shakespeare. Very enjoyable and thoroughly well done visually. It is what it is and it's very good at what it is.
  24. AaronH
    Nov 23, 2007
    This movie is a lot of fun! It has great heroes, monsters, hot women, exciting action, just enough drama, and a nice sense of humur. The 3D version rocks, but it is easy to focus almost completely on the visuals and not the story itself.
  25. SeanF.
    Nov 23, 2007
    While this movie doesn't overcome all the present hurdles of representing emotionally vivid characters in CGI, It plays excellently to the strengths of the medium. The score and voice acting is masterful done and Grendel is successfully portrayed with an air of violent horror. It could have been more epic than it was, but it remains a shining example of a sometimes troubled medium While this movie doesn't overcome all the present hurdles of representing emotionally vivid characters in CGI, It plays excellently to the strengths of the medium. The score and voice acting is masterful done and Grendel is successfully portrayed with an air of violent horror. It could have been more epic than it was, but it remains a shining example of a sometimes troubled medium and is definitely worth seeing. Expand
  26. DomH.
    Nov 24, 2007
    How can people not like this film? It's fantastic, engaging, beautifully made and different than other things you see nowadays. Thoroughly innovative and fun. I never wanted it to end.
  27. ScottR
    Nov 25, 2007
    Most people may not like the film that much because the deepest message is one that takes some thinking and pondering to interpret. Also, the last half of the movie is completely different from the classic medieval poem. My guess is English majors will not enjoy it. The CG is phenomenal. The score is beautiful. Many images that I will not soon forget. An incredible movie overall.
  28. NiceGirl
    Nov 26, 2007
    It was the best!! The movie was packed with 3D effects and I've never seen anything like it. Beowulf is one of the most entertaining movies I've ever seen so far.
  29. ToddR.
    Nov 29, 2007
    Critics suck. best popcorn movie i've seen in a long, long time
  30. BobC
    Dec 1, 2007
    What??i can't believe this movie getting 0s,this movie was incredible,best animated movie since toy story in my opinion. don't listen to those harsh criticizers. My guess is that they are old english scholars still reciting the beowulf poem or something. 10/10,hands down. watch it and be amazed.
  31. CrackA.
    Saw this in Imax 3D
  32. MichaeS.
    Dec 2, 2007
    Great film. The first scene with Grendel in the hall is breathtaking, really took my breath away. I've never seen such a thrilling and downright scary scene.
  33. TomD.
    Dec 2, 2007
    IMAX is the way to go, best looking thing I ever saw. Without it slips a little but that didn't matter cause it does something no other non kiddy movie has ever done. Adult subject matter and CG finally as one and those stupid Final Fantasy movies don't count.
  34. RitB
    Dec 4, 2007
    This movie is a technological feast for the eyes. If you see it, see it in 3-D and be prepared to be amazed. I've seen 3-D movies before and having objects come out of the screen and poke at the audience is one of the main draws of 3-D. There's plenty of that in this movie but also something else I don't recall seeing --- that is having objects appear to come from behind This movie is a technological feast for the eyes. If you see it, see it in 3-D and be prepared to be amazed. I've seen 3-D movies before and having objects come out of the screen and poke at the audience is one of the main draws of 3-D. There's plenty of that in this movie but also something else I don't recall seeing --- that is having objects appear to come from behind the audience and move toward the screen. The story was good and interesting and the battle scenes, especially the last scene with the dragon, were exciting and imaginative. A great movie which will stay in my memory for a long, long time. Expand
  35. JabezT
    Dec 9, 2007
    I just saw this in 3D IMAX and while I am not usually a big action film fan, this was the frickin' bomb! It's visually stunning and the action sequences are amazing. Scholars will undoubtedly be aghast at the liberties taken with the original, but for the rest of us, fasten your seat belts and enjoy the ride. If you are going to see only one movie in the theater, this is the I just saw this in 3D IMAX and while I am not usually a big action film fan, this was the frickin' bomb! It's visually stunning and the action sequences are amazing. Scholars will undoubtedly be aghast at the liberties taken with the original, but for the rest of us, fasten your seat belts and enjoy the ride. If you are going to see only one movie in the theater, this is the one. It will be dreadful as a home rental on the small screen--I don't care how big your home theater is. See it 3-D IMAX if at all possible. Is this the beginning of a melding of video games and film? Perhaps and that is certainly disquieting in concept, but for now, I AM BOEWULF. Expand
  36. StanW
    Dec 10, 2007
    These movie critics make me laugh. Of course this is not some deep thought provoking movie. It is a fun, action packed adventure. You got to see it in 3D. The 3D effects are fantastic. My girlfriend loved it. Real men like action movies with hotties , like Angelina. We don't like slow sub-titled boring movies that win film festivals.
    Jan 12, 2008
    I liked this movie a lot. But God, why is it PG-13? It had Angelina Jolie with the anatomy of a barbie doll. And the ending was satifying. But Beowulf is so cool and is a visual masterpiece. I give it a 9/10
  38. MotörHead
    Jan 24, 2008
    Really liked this movie. State of art animation. And Anthony Hopkins is doing well as usual. Even the animated Anthony. Not bad.
  39. HomarusA.
    Feb 13, 2008
    Impressive storytelling through animation.
  40. ChristopherJ
    Feb 23, 2008
    Intense action rivaling LotR and 300.
  41. IraM.
    Mar 7, 2008
    Intense action, fantastic visuals, excellent story, awesome violence. thumbs up.
  42. Jim
    Mar 18, 2008
    The best real 3d movie I have ever seen. It is great that they have managed to capture the personalities of the real actors. The definition of an action movie.
  43. JakeH.
    Jun 19, 2008
    Obviously This movie was impressive what did you think? No Blood or guts? PaaaaLease! Great Job, Robert Zemeckis.
  44. HamedM.
    Jul 22, 2008
    We should thank Mr.Zemeckis and the Anonymous writer of Beowulf for reminding us that: We father our own children of deeds.
  45. Oct 7, 2014
    This is a epic movie. This movie is like pixar went for adult audiences. I think it should get more love than it has on here, it really is an amazing movie

1. Director Robert Zemeckis not only deploys 21st century movie technology at its finest to turn the heroic poem into a vibrant, nerve-tingling piece of pop culture, but his film actually makes sense of Beowulf. In Zemeckis' hands, it's an intriguing look at a hero as a flawed human being.
  2. Reviewed by: Justin Chang
    For all its visual sweep and propulsively violent action, this bloodthirsty rendition of the Old English epic can't overcome the disadvantage of being enacted by digital waxworks rather than flesh-and-blood Danes and demons.
  3. Reviewed by: Tom Ambrose
    It’s not a reinvention of the wheel, but in 3D this is an astonishing experience that borders on ‘must-see’, and raises the bar for what James Cameron is planning with Avatar. And you’ll be glad to know that the creepy dead eyes thing has been fixed.