6.4

1. Nov 18, 2011
    The animation and the story are incredible. Definitely one of the best movies ever made. I can't wait to watch it again. One of those movies that make the real world so boring for a few days after you watch it.
  2. Oct 23, 2010
    I loved this movie. I thought it brought a difficult text to life, giving it a new interpretation suited for cinematic length and modern audiences, and would be brilliant for A level literature students. When this poem was first written down it had already been narrated by travelling storytellers for centuries, changing and improvising it into many versions, so those who complain it isn't a strict interpretation should see it in its historical context. I thought the animation was brilliant; dark , chilling, horrific, gory and allowing fight sequences worthy of its heroes. The cast, even behind their animated avatars, were brave and noble. And I thought the story of Grendel's mother was a great plot idea giving an extra, modern twist to the tragedy. All in all, one of the best movies I have seen for ages. Expand
  3. Apr 7, 2013
    I love this movie, one of my favorites. Even though it didn't follow the story of the book as much as I would have preferred, the movie has it's own little storyline thing that is very good. The CGI is extremely well done, as is the script. And the actors they used are amazing. This is the most underrated movie of all time.
  4. Oct 7, 2014
    This is a epic movie. This movie is like pixar went for adult audiences. I think it should get more love than it has on here, it really is an amazing movie

1. Director Robert Zemeckis not only deploys 21st century movie technology at its finest to turn the heroic poem into a vibrant, nerve-tingling piece of pop culture, but his film actually makes sense of Beowulf. In Zemeckis' hands, it's an intriguing look at a hero as a flawed human being.
  2. Reviewed by: Justin Chang
    For all its visual sweep and propulsively violent action, this bloodthirsty rendition of the Old English epic can't overcome the disadvantage of being enacted by digital waxworks rather than flesh-and-blood Danes and demons.
  3. Reviewed by: Tom Ambrose
    It’s not a reinvention of the wheel, but in 3D this is an astonishing experience that borders on ‘must-see’, and raises the bar for what James Cameron is planning with Avatar. And you’ll be glad to know that the creepy dead eyes thing has been fixed.