6.4

1. Aug 15, 2014
    This was one of the first Digital 3D films released and the first one that I watched on 3D. The experience was spectacular and refreshingly original. There is nothing special or credible about its story, but historical accuracy was not the purpose. The value of this film is its 3D visual effects and its impressive motion capture techniques.
  2. Aug 16, 2013
    Robert Zemeckis made a well animated 3-D epic but nothing that I observe is special. The first half is dull and second half has a bit more gore and kiddish story of the book and epics is not well used but some fun provides. In voice acting or CGI acting its cool but nothing special. The ending is clueless and characters have no depth or story. The 3-D is good, yeah but could have been used well. The gore and violence is endless and the UNRATED version is worse. Zemeckis makes the real he digs in deep and makes it up to serve the nudity, sex, gore and violence of this dull war epic. Expand
  3. Apr 26, 2013
    As a Greek I always thought that film adaptations of Greek epic songs, mytholgy or history were the worst kind. I have to admit, I was wrong. Beowulf is BY FAR the most disgracing piece of computer images put together. If you have read the book the film is absurd. If you haven't it's demented. Thank Odin the book is miles and LEAGUES away from the piece of junk the collaborators of this retardation came up with. If Beowulf was anything like what was presented in the film, then the "Lord of the Rings" would have been called "The Grey King's Biography" and it would have been written by someone else. In short; if any Geatish hero still exists, I call upon thee, to slay the producers and director of this atrocity. These are the only monsters that endager your kingdom. Expand
  4. Apr 7, 2013
    I love this movie, one of my favorites. Even though it didn't follow the story of the book as much as I would have preferred, the movie has it's own little storyline thing that is very good. The CGI is extremely well done, as is the script. And the actors they used are amazing. This is the most underrated movie of all time.
  5. Nov 28, 2012
    It's a pretty film, but its fairly off-putting plot and characters make it a truly unsavory film experience.
  6. Nov 8, 2012
    Beowulf is a combination of great CGI and an incredibly odd, incoherent script that puzzles any intelligent viewer beyond belief. It is, though, somehow watchable.
  7. Nov 18, 2011
    The animation and the story are incredible. Definitely one of the best movies ever made. I can't wait to watch it again. One of those movies that make the real world so boring for a few days after you watch it.
  8. Oct 3, 2011
    I surrender myself to the fact that the film's story is taken from scratch and based on nothing, is a failure in terms of history. It is the same as saying that the word "Hoifk" is a race of elves. Anyone could create an history like this by pressing randomly at any keyboard letters.
  9. Sep 30, 2011
    "Beowulf" is a epic remake of the original tale of vikings. It lacks the depth or symbolism of the characters, but it certainly does have the glorious gore and blood going on.
  10. Aug 4, 2011
    BEOWULF is an amazing movie, but it is clearly for adults only. Even though it has blood, gore, and nudity galore, the animation concept was quite seemingly used to be rated PG-13 rather than rated a well-deserved R--the animation is quite realistic, believe it or not. Besides that fact, I have not read the epic poem off which this film is based, so I can't exactly dictate how faithful it is to the source material, but it was well-produced, well-acted (or voice-acted, if you wish), and intensely thrilling in a great stupefying way that will leave you emitting at least fifty "wow"s throughout its entirety. Expand
  11. Apr 13, 2011
    Risible accents ("I am Beowulf. Come to kill your monstah - Innit"), hamfisted choreography, and neither-fish-nor-fowl between real actor and cartoon character, this patient presented as a film that couldn't decide whether it wanted to be comedy or horror and ended up being neither. Epically boring.

Still, it could have been Norse...
  12. Dec 16, 2010
    None of the reviewers who gave it over a 30 actually have ever read beowulf, I have and this has almost zero to do with the epic poem. It is just a bad attempt to "hollywoodize" the poem
  13. Oct 27, 2010
    just wait though why he may roam. always, a hero comes home.
  14. Oct 23, 2010
    I loved this movie. I thought it brought a difficult text to life, giving it a new interpretation suited for cinematic length and modern audiences, and would be brilliant for A level literature students. When this poem was first written down it had already been narrated by travelling storytellers for centuries, changing and improvising it into many versions, so those who complain it isn't a strict interpretation should see it in its historical context. I thought the animation was brilliant; dark , chilling, horrific, gory and allowing fight sequences worthy of its heroes. The cast, even behind their animated avatars, were brave and noble. And I thought the story of Grendel's mother was a great plot idea giving an extra, modern twist to the tragedy. All in all, one of the best movies I have seen for ages. Expand

1. Director Robert Zemeckis not only deploys 21st century movie technology at its finest to turn the heroic poem into a vibrant, nerve-tingling piece of pop culture, but his film actually makes sense of Beowulf. In Zemeckis' hands, it's an intriguing look at a hero as a flawed human being.
  2. Reviewed by: Justin Chang
    For all its visual sweep and propulsively violent action, this bloodthirsty rendition of the Old English epic can't overcome the disadvantage of being enacted by digital waxworks rather than flesh-and-blood Danes and demons.
  3. Reviewed by: Tom Ambrose
    It’s not a reinvention of the wheel, but in 3D this is an astonishing experience that borders on ‘must-see’, and raises the bar for what James Cameron is planning with Avatar. And you’ll be glad to know that the creepy dead eyes thing has been fixed.