7.8

1. Apr 18, 2014
    Big is a pretty good comedy overall with a touching story to boot. Throughout, laughs are provided as you watch the absurdity of the situations that Josh Baskin finds himself in and that is coupled with a touching story that we can all relate to as we age (though not quite as rapidly, haha). The film is admittedly a little cheesy at times, but it never really bothered me honestly. In theBig is a pretty good comedy overall with a touching story to boot. Throughout, laughs are provided as you watch the absurdity of the situations that Josh Baskin finds himself in and that is coupled with a touching story that we can all relate to as we age (though not quite as rapidly, haha). The film is admittedly a little cheesy at times, but it never really bothered me honestly. In the lead role, Tom Hanks is killer and plays the grown up overnight role perfectly and really embodies the little "ticks" you would expect from somebody who underwent the transformation he underwent. Overall, this film is far from a cinematic masterpiece, but is a cute little comedy that is endlessly enjoyable. Expand
  2. Apr 16, 2014
    Big is a wonderful story that connects with audiences young and old. The kids watching this movie will want to be "big", just like the man they see on the screen; the adults watching this movie will remember a time when they were just like him, looking at the world the way Hanks' character does.
  3. Sep 15, 2011
    The movie is cheesy and childish; the only thing that holds the movie in one piece is Tom Hanks.
  4. Sep 15, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I finally got a chance to see this movie recently. While the beginning felt like it was rushed, once Josh becomes an adult, everything is hilarious and sweet from that moment till the beautiful ending. Expand
  5. Apr 26, 2011
    Tom Hanks shows his acting prowess, and get a deserved Oscar nomination, for his role in this entertaining tale of a boy who becomes a man overnight. Although now over twenty years old the film does still hold up today and the concept still hasn't been bettered.

1. Reviewed by: James Berardinelli
    Dec 16, 2013
    Although Big is generally lighthearted, it rarely plays for stupid laughs. There are a few of these, but the film avoids sacrificing character integrity for the cheap guffaw.
  2. Reviewed by: Jay Boyar
    Dec 16, 2013
    The setup isn't exactly what you'd call plausible, but the follow-through is consistent and clever.
  3. Reviewed by: Desmond Ryan
    Dec 16, 2013
    Penny Marshall brings a logic to the premise that is sustained through most of the movie. And where the other movies snickered at the sexual possibilities in the idea, she faces up to them with both candor and taste.