Bowling for Columbine

6.9

1. TerryB.
    Dec 18, 2007
    I don't know if other people watched the same movie that I watched. In the movie, Moore is just telling the truth. Now I know that the truth hurts some people, but lets be serious...our governments top priorities are on bombing the hell outta some country on the other side of this planet when there are starving families that barely get by from day to day. The government should I don't know if other people watched the same movie that I watched. In the movie, Moore is just telling the truth. Now I know that the truth hurts some people, but lets be serious...our governments top priorities are on bombing the hell outta some country on the other side of this planet when there are starving families that barely get by from day to day. The government should concentrate on healthcare and childrens' education. Moore is just opening our eyes to how messed up our governments priorities are and how it's putting fear into every american in this country. How could you watch the president of the NRA show no sympathy whatsoever for the 6 year old girl that was shot by a gun at school and not get pissed at him for that?!? Maybe I actually have a heart with a concience, but some people need to open their eyes to what is going on in this country. And not all people of america are gun happy assholes...there are many great people in america and they just don't see those people. It's the government and gun-loving idiot who are screwing many people over. Expand
  2. DerwinC.
    Mar 30, 2003
    Although some people accuse this movie of being "unbalanced", i think it's point is to get people to think instead of instantly react (which was an actual observation made in the movie), and to this, the movie worked superbly.
  3. RashidaM.
    Apr 18, 2003
    The film is very insightful. It sheds light on places that American's would rarely allow themselves to see anything. It confronts racisim, viloence, and most importantly the fear that has caused such perils in this nation.
  4. DavidR.
    Feb 10, 2004
    BFC was the most powerful movie I have ever seen. I encourage everyone with an open mind to see this film.
  5. SarahD.
    Feb 10, 2004
    All I have to say is thank you Micheal Moore, thank you...
  6. JesseF.
    Oct 17, 2002
    I thought this was going to be dick clarks break out role, i was sadly mistaken...
  7. DavidH.
    Oct 17, 2002
    As thought provoking as it is entertaining, and it's laugh-out-loud funny. Really, really good.
  8. BlancoA.
    Nov 7, 2002
    If nothing else, this is an incredibly thought-provoking film. It presents a problem and suggests possible causes, but more than anything else, it expresses the filmmaker's bewilderment about why the US has so many more gun-related homicides than other countries with just as many guns and with similar histories of violence. I thought the episode with Heston was a little unfair when If nothing else, this is an incredibly thought-provoking film. It presents a problem and suggests possible causes, but more than anything else, it expresses the filmmaker's bewilderment about why the US has so many more gun-related homicides than other countries with just as many guns and with similar histories of violence. I thought the episode with Heston was a little unfair when the actor was being quite honest and frank, though Moore's approach was not impolite. Incidentally, the Columbine high security camera footage just floored me. Definitely a film which should be seen. Expand
  9. Moff
    Nov 1, 2003
    Can somebody please identify which elements of this film are actually lies? everyone here who says the film is full of lies hasn't bothered to actually point out which bits are lies such that we can verify this by our own research. If you're going to accuse someone of lying, at least tell us where the lies are. I find it interesting that most of the bad reviews of this film areCan somebody please identify which elements of this film are actually lies? everyone here who says the film is full of lies hasn't bothered to actually point out which bits are lies such that we can verify this by our own research. If you're going to accuse someone of lying, at least tell us where the lies are. I find it interesting that most of the bad reviews of this film are written by people who feel the need to refer to Michael Moore's weight, which I find relevant, but if this is not the case, please explain why Michael Moore being fat is in some way detrimental to the impact of the film. Expand
  10. ErosW.
    Mar 10, 2003
    It is very sad to think that there are so many people who judge this movie as anti-american, when in fact Michael Moore is a real patriot. Loving your country means being its harshest critic in order to improve it. Sticking a flag bumper sticker on your car doesn't make you a patriot...
  11. SamB.
    Mar 1, 2003
    this film is excellent. michael moore's thought provoken clever second documentary should be recommended viewing for every one.
  12. CarstenK.
    Mar 26, 2003
    Best documentary i've ever seen. i don't think that it's against america or its soldiers. it's just a look at the mad situation, that every lunatic can possess as many weapons as he likes - which is not understandable for anyone living outside the US (like me).
  13. Graham
    May 10, 2003
    Moore is a wonderful, warmhearted man, and he deserved that oscar. What he said at the speach was great!!!!!!
  14. StevenG.
    Aug 10, 2003
    Not a better movie...riviting..fact based!!
  15. PaulaW.
    Aug 22, 2003
    First of all, the grammar and spelling in most of the 0 reviews speak for themselves. It's too bad the talk-radio jerks who give these people their marching orders can't issue some decently written sample rants. The best thing about Bowling for Columbine, what earned it the Oscar for Best Documentary, beyond the creativity with which the filmmakers explore the issue of guns and First of all, the grammar and spelling in most of the 0 reviews speak for themselves. It's too bad the talk-radio jerks who give these people their marching orders can't issue some decently written sample rants. The best thing about Bowling for Columbine, what earned it the Oscar for Best Documentary, beyond the creativity with which the filmmakers explore the issue of guns and gun violence from every angle, is that it finds no easy answers. It looks at all the usual suspects and finds them lacking: our violent history (no more violent than Germany's), a high rate of gun ownership (no higher than Canada's), poverty (worse in a lot of countries), broken families (the divorce rate is higher in the UK), and so on. The opening scene, in which Michael Moore signs up for a bank account that comes with a free gun, had me cringing in fear of my least favorite Moore tactic: harrassing PR people and security guards at large corporations. But pointless confrontation is kept to a minimum, and one segment that had me worried, a showdown at Kmart headquarters, leads to an amazing payoff. Highlights: a mostly sympathetic segment with the Michigan Militia; some footage of the Columbine school shootings and their aftermath including an evil chest-pounding speech by Charlton Heston at a Denver gun-industry meeting (it's not Moore's fault if Heston looks and acts like an old vulture); a bunch of good montages; and a surprising interview with Marilyn Manson. Just the American history cartoon by the South Park guys alone is worth the price of your rental. Go watch it already. Expand
  16. AMovieCritic
    Aug 28, 2003
    I thought this was a very good movie. It may have been dragged out a little, and some of Moore's ideas were a little far fetched, but it was a very interesting movie. It's cool that you can both laugh, be shocked, and scared during one movie.
  17. mrg
    Aug 20, 2003
    moore is fat, annoying bastard. yet his movie is great. this film was made by american FOR americans. people outside already know and experience the terror or "peaceful" big-brother just bombing whoever they dislike, ignoring social disadvantaged, small, poor, hungry, weak or living in poverty. afterwards you can always say: boooh! they had mass-destruction weapons, blah, blah, mickey moore is fat, annoying bastard. yet his movie is great. this film was made by american FOR americans. people outside already know and experience the terror or "peaceful" big-brother just bombing whoever they dislike, ignoring social disadvantaged, small, poor, hungry, weak or living in poverty. afterwards you can always say: boooh! they had mass-destruction weapons, blah, blah, mickey mouse... but even moore does not know WHY all that guns and violence - the father of one of the victims answered his questions with another question. he thinks fear and selling fear is the cause (or tries to show it that way, so even SLOW people -an avarage dumb american gets the point). But it's far more simple: a gun makes a poor and weak feel strong, makes him forget that he'll be nothing for the rest of his life, ripping his a*s in some*-mart, living on a credit... just pool the trigger, you know the rest... Expand
  18. JayG.
    Aug 7, 2003
    Hey Mitchell K, why don't you actually SEE the movie instead of getting your marching orders from Rush, Hannity, Mann Coulter or whatever crazy ass monkey you listen to. Moore IS proud to be american, but he is ashamed of the violent fetish americans love to act out. Actually SEE the film and you'll be amazed as it is more about violence in america as opposed to gun totting Hey Mitchell K, why don't you actually SEE the movie instead of getting your marching orders from Rush, Hannity, Mann Coulter or whatever crazy ass monkey you listen to. Moore IS proud to be american, but he is ashamed of the violent fetish americans love to act out. Actually SEE the film and you'll be amazed as it is more about violence in america as opposed to gun totting idiots that you think it's about. Expand
  19. MarcO.
    Sep 15, 2003
    Astounding, Moore's filmaking reminds me of the confrontational and passionate comedy of the late Bill Hicks. You can disagree with moore all you like but you can't doubt the mans commitment or belief in his choosen profession. Proof that more documentaries should hit the cinemas and video shelves, Inspired.
  20. TonyG.
    Sep 17, 2003
    In his own style, this movie was REAL ... people of the world (mainly america ) are controlled through media and are distracted from the truth. forget about the guns ... this world is full of NUKES and CHEMICAL DEATH SHOWERS!!!! and a bunch of heartless beings from every land are in controll of them. Bankers and secret organizations run our world. through france, britan , and U.S.A ... In his own style, this movie was REAL ... people of the world (mainly america ) are controlled through media and are distracted from the truth. forget about the guns ... this world is full of NUKES and CHEMICAL DEATH SHOWERS!!!! and a bunch of heartless beings from every land are in controll of them. Bankers and secret organizations run our world. through france, britan , and U.S.A ... more films like this need to be made... where we can expose these high powers and show the world that we are not sheeple... life is alot more beautiful than the orchestrated false world you see on television everyday. if you dont belive me ask the 70 million PEACEFUL native American Indians ... Oh wait , they were slaughtered for the land on wich you and i now stand....... "PEACE FOR PEACE" don't fight for peace its a contradiction! ............ Expand
  21. KeithE.
    Sep 20, 2003
    As far as documentaries go, this was extremely interesting and fun to watch. Some critics claimed that Moore was biased and showed only one side of the story. That is entirely untrue. He spoke with many intelligent people during the film who were unable to explain the phenomenonal murder rate that the US was experiencing. Throughout the movie I believe Moore was searching for an answer As far as documentaries go, this was extremely interesting and fun to watch. Some critics claimed that Moore was biased and showed only one side of the story. That is entirely untrue. He spoke with many intelligent people during the film who were unable to explain the phenomenonal murder rate that the US was experiencing. Throughout the movie I believe Moore was searching for an answer that proved him wrong, but that answer never came. Fear the media! Expand
  22. Matts
    Sep 5, 2003
    Very interesting and entertaining documentary. they should play this in high schools.
  23. ZoranL.
    Feb 2, 2004
    Just great. screw the wrong facts. get the right massage. peace.
  24. AaronF.
    Mar 6, 2004
    This documentary perfectly sums up how scared the USA is as a country, of itself. Sod them and their twisted psyches, I'd rather emigrate to Canada!
  25. MohammedO.
    Apr 3, 2004
    This is a great film, and I would watch it again. Michael Moore did a great job presenting our disturbing obsession with guns and violence. Thank you Michael Moore!!
  26. IHateHicks
    Jun 6, 2004
    I want everyone in the south to please leave this here United States of America. You guys need to put down the guns and pick up some books and learn how to do stuff besides shootin' each other and rabbits.
  27. GabbyH.
    Mar 30, 2005
    What a great flick. Not only does it give feeling, it informs us Americans that we actually can be ignorant and we aren't all that we think we are. People who give this movie a low rating are uninformed as to what the situation really is in America right now. We can rebuild this nation in 2008, as soon at Dubya is out of office.
  28. GingerO.
    Feb 15, 2006
    Whether we like Michael Moore or not, I believe it is important to understand and take into account that his documentary
  29. CarmanW.
    Nov 11, 2002
    I am Canadian, yes I will admit that. I live near Seattle and from time spent in and near your Country I know your ways. I can't help it with 80% of our TV channels being American. Michael Moore perhaps paints a rosier picture of Canada than is true, but he makes the point that Canadians have been trying to say for years. Get along down there - for the sake of whole world! This movie I am Canadian, yes I will admit that. I live near Seattle and from time spent in and near your Country I know your ways. I can't help it with 80% of our TV channels being American. Michael Moore perhaps paints a rosier picture of Canada than is true, but he makes the point that Canadians have been trying to say for years. Get along down there - for the sake of whole world! This movie is a snap shot look at a bigger issue American's have. American's have enormous influence on the world, but storm into every situation likes bulls in a china shop with no care or thought of consequences. If there is anything that should be taken from this film it's that people need to be listened to and understood. At least try it for a while and see how that works, before you shoot them. Expand
  30. MelanieN.
    Nov 11, 2002
    Excellent movie...go see it!
  31. BenD.
    Nov 15, 2002
    Of course it's one sided and I realise that many of you love your guns (to death) but the point is: guns kill. That's what they were made for. Their sole purpose. Why hand them out to anyone just on the basis that they're American.
  32. PaulaA.
    Nov 2, 2002
    A must-see film for everyone over the age of 14. No matter what side of the political fence you're on, this film should make you think about domestic and foreign policy, racism, consumerism and the media. The best film I've seen in years!
  33. JamesG.
    Oct 14, 2002
    For once someone using the medium for social awareness with a spice of entertainment.
  34. MarcB.
    Oct 15, 2002
    If you like Michael Moore, you'll love this film. If you hate Michael Moore the film will at least raise some interesting questions that Americans ought to be debating right about now.
  35. DerekM.
    Nov 5, 2002
    After seeing this film I can't imagine anyone calling America the "home of the brave" without laughing silently to themselves. This was an excellent film overall, although it did have a lot of holes. The sad thing is that it didn't have to. Almost all the ideas Moore was trying to get across were dead on. The major problem was that these ideas that require a good deal of study After seeing this film I can't imagine anyone calling America the "home of the brave" without laughing silently to themselves. This was an excellent film overall, although it did have a lot of holes. The sad thing is that it didn't have to. Almost all the ideas Moore was trying to get across were dead on. The major problem was that these ideas that require a good deal of study and inquiry to arrive at are thrust at the audience with wacky emotional pleas and flawed evidence. All politics aside though, this was an excellent film. The only complaint I have about this film is that it probably won't change the face of America. I still give it a ten because I realize that I can't reasonable expect it to. Expand
  36. JeffM.
    Nov 5, 2002
    Funny as hell, and genuinely disturbing. I like how the film doesn't pretend to have the answers to this epidemic, and avoids placing total blame on the NRA and their beliefs, as tempting as that is to do.
  37. AndreP.
    Oct 18, 2002
    Beautiful and balanced.
  38. J.S.
    Oct 20, 2002
    The kind of critic who complains that the movie is confusing is the same who complained about Slaughter House 5. Columbine was excellent not only because it was horrifying, funny, and pertinent, but because of how it was presented. We went on the search for truth with Moore, we were not just handed an answer.
  39. DaveO.
    Dec 20, 2002
    The best movie that no one will ever see!
  40. ChrisC.
    Oct 20, 2002
    I found this to be a powerful movie-watching experience; not a minute too long, a fine piece of editorial journalism, plus a surprisingly lucid interview with Marilyn Manson.
  41. DavidA.
    Dec 27, 2002
    This movie has one flaw, and that it gilding Canada a bit too much. Other than that, however, Moore makes the most sense I've ever seen when tackling the American gun issue. That columbine scene, as well as where he leaves the picture of girl on Heston's front porch...words don't do it justice.
  42. MooP.
    Oct 24, 2002
    Fabulous. The film and real characters speak for themselves in terms of their stupidity, naivité, intelligence, ignorance, etc ... The movie is smart, funny, revealing, simple, profound, memorable. moochowping.
  43. JoelC.
    Nov 17, 2003
    It has been a long time since a movie has moved me like this one. I'm surprised I haven't seen this film yet but now that I have (I heard I had to see it) it has opened up my eyes a little I guess. A few people who like guns or something gave this movie bad reviews, but it is an excellent movie that goes from being really funny in parts, and then moving you and opening your eyes It has been a long time since a movie has moved me like this one. I'm surprised I haven't seen this film yet but now that I have (I heard I had to see it) it has opened up my eyes a little I guess. A few people who like guns or something gave this movie bad reviews, but it is an excellent movie that goes from being really funny in parts, and then moving you and opening your eyes up a bit. But definitely don't listen to the people who gave it bad reviews, it is a documentary, and the websites they describe that have facts against Moore are made by people who are Liberalist's and like guns so obviously they will do what they can to cut down Moores brilliance in opening people's eyes with this film. One of the websites a ignorant redneck Fascist mentioned (who gave this movie a bad rating) that "he was a fat slob, with Cool Aid and pizza stains on his shirt,"... maybe, but at least he's a fat slob with a heart. Anyway, must see flick. Expand
  44. KarliW.
    Oct 29, 2003
    This is the best movie i have ever seen! really touched me.
  45. AG
    Feb 13, 2003
    This movie is great. Very well done and thought out. Biased? A bit. Thought provoking? Most Certainly. Keep in mind that the movie is based on both fact and opinion. Micheal Moore doesn't necessarily tell you to believe what he believes Although he does state his opinion, he also lays out the facts for you to figure out. Once again, it one of the best documentaries I've ever seen.
  46. JohnA.
    Feb 27, 2003
    Moore is at his best when he's being ironic and at his worst when he's being self-righteous and confrontational. A thought-provoking film with basically no conclusions reached.
  47. MattR.
    Feb 9, 2003
    This film should be required viewing for all Americans. Unlike the previous reviewer, I believe that is PRECISELY because of the use of facts, sensibly woven into very emotional subject matter that it succeeds. Like a solid argument, Moore back up his theories with facts, more often than not startling or shocking. I appreciated the fact that it didn't devolve into a right vs. wrong This film should be required viewing for all Americans. Unlike the previous reviewer, I believe that is PRECISELY because of the use of facts, sensibly woven into very emotional subject matter that it succeeds. Like a solid argument, Moore back up his theories with facts, more often than not startling or shocking. I appreciated the fact that it didn't devolve into a right vs. wrong debate, or pointed fingers off the bat. Well balanced, and easily the best film of the year. Expand
  48. BertoM.
    Apr 29, 2003
    Are americans really like this?
  49. MarkD.
    May 12, 2003
    The below quote is taken from another review of this film. The person who wrote this is just the type of person Moore warns about in his work. Its more than against gun culture, it is against the people who are too short sighted to see past the biggest terrorist in the world in charge of their country. Superb film "It's sad to think that a poor movie as this won an academy award. I The below quote is taken from another review of this film. The person who wrote this is just the type of person Moore warns about in his work. Its more than against gun culture, it is against the people who are too short sighted to see past the biggest terrorist in the world in charge of their country. Superb film "It's sad to think that a poor movie as this won an academy award. I saw it and hated it. First, I thought the movie was very poorly produced and shortsighted. Second, how can some fat ass go up there and make such sickening comments about the war when I see so many American and British soldiers fighting so valiantly for a just cause: to liberate the world of tyranny. Let's consider that Bush never initiated the war. Sadaam Hussein is the master of deceit, a master of cruelty and murder. There's no limit to what this monster would do if given the capabilty. Thank God for a President to look beyond the present, to what will happen to the world if we sit around to let Saddam continue to build up his military aersonal. It's truly a shame we can't replace a our soldiers being held captive as POW's in exchange for a dumb ass like Moore." Expand
  50. JonnyR.
    Jul 24, 2003
    Sorry all you gun crazy people, the movie isnt full of lies as some would have you think. One part of the movie was not as importent as others so editing was used, but not in a negitive way, but to get his point across. This isnt meant to appel to everyone, it is satire, obviously some people dont get that. Its very easy just to cover your ears and say everything in this movie is a lie,Sorry all you gun crazy people, the movie isnt full of lies as some would have you think. One part of the movie was not as importent as others so editing was used, but not in a negitive way, but to get his point across. This isnt meant to appel to everyone, it is satire, obviously some people dont get that. Its very easy just to cover your ears and say everything in this movie is a lie, but that would be incorrect. However some are missing the whole point of the movie, it isnt anti gun or anti america, in fact it is pro america. I met Moore once, before I did he was speaking with an audience, not about how to hate america but that we should fix america, he really believes the country can be fixed and it should be. Most of the people that say this movie is terrible and full of lies are conservative, which is fine, but look at our president, he lied about weapons of mass destruction (which is worse then sex) and convinced a nation that war was nessecary. Back to the movie though, it takes a grim look at guns in our country as well as canida, showing how similar we are about guns and at the same time how different we act. This movie isnt ment to trick you into believe things, it's ment to get you to think, not to trust the media and get your mind out there. If you put all you energy into dissagreeing with the movie (and not just listening to some fake tell you what to think and I'm not talking about moore) then the film is doing its job of getting you to think. Expand
  51. MarkP.
    Aug 12, 2003
    I must say that the other reviews posted here are quite interesting. I'm an Australian and thoroughly enjoyed the documentary. I was totally in dismay at how gun-mad America really is. In Australia we are often baffled at how America's solutions to its problems are "shoot first, ask questions later", and "Bowling for Columbine" highlighted our beliefs well. I think that those I must say that the other reviews posted here are quite interesting. I'm an Australian and thoroughly enjoyed the documentary. I was totally in dismay at how gun-mad America really is. In Australia we are often baffled at how America's solutions to its problems are "shoot first, ask questions later", and "Bowling for Columbine" highlighted our beliefs well. I think that those who are slandering Moore as unAmerican are the very people Moore is portraying in his movie. There is certainly a massive gun problem in American, and while the movie may have emphasized the point to the extreme, it gets the needed message across. My congratulations go to Moore for an excellent insight into the true America. Expand
  52. ColbyC.
    Aug 19, 2003
    I've noticed a lot of people saying that Michael Moore is "un-American" for making this movie. In fact, he IS American for making this movie.....because only in America COULD he make it. I personally don't agree with his views, and I think he's wrong on a lot of points.....but once again, because I'm an American I can say that. Watch the movie with a grain of salt, I've noticed a lot of people saying that Michael Moore is "un-American" for making this movie. In fact, he IS American for making this movie.....because only in America COULD he make it. I personally don't agree with his views, and I think he's wrong on a lot of points.....but once again, because I'm an American I can say that. Watch the movie with a grain of salt, take his "arguments" at face value and judge for yourself. Once again, its everyone's right to not like this movie....but no one can deny that it makes you think..... Expand
  53. JoshuaB.
    Aug 31, 2003
    It's amazing to me how some people can watch this excellent movie about the root of gun violence, and all they have to say is that Michael Moore is a liar! As far as I could see he only gave us facts and interviews. And Moore doesn't blame any individuals. He obviously blames the media for pumping us full of fear every single night on the news. "Watch you're eating right It's amazing to me how some people can watch this excellent movie about the root of gun violence, and all they have to say is that Michael Moore is a liar! As far as I could see he only gave us facts and interviews. And Moore doesn't blame any individuals. He obviously blames the media for pumping us full of fear every single night on the news. "Watch you're eating right now could kill you. Tonight at 11." A great look at a controversial issue that should be required viewing for every American (even those darn un-Americans). Expand
  54. TonyB.
    Sep 19, 2003
    Thought provoking, and sometimes funny...but that's pretty much all it's good for. Micheal Moore talks about how the media demonizes blacks and hispanics, and yet he then turns around and demonizes guns and anyone who would want to own one. He then panders to cheesy melodrama when he pulls out the picture of the little girl at the end. I mean come on...if I were that kids Thought provoking, and sometimes funny...but that's pretty much all it's good for. Micheal Moore talks about how the media demonizes blacks and hispanics, and yet he then turns around and demonizes guns and anyone who would want to own one. He then panders to cheesy melodrama when he pulls out the picture of the little girl at the end. I mean come on...if I were that kids parents, I'd be pissed that my childs image was used for such a loaded purpose. The scariest part is that Marilyn Manson and Matt Stone were quite possibly the most on-the-ball people in tghe whole movie. Over all, not bad, makes you think, and does have some good ideas to offer, but mostly it's just makes statments rather than ask questions. Expand
  55. BethL.
    Oct 29, 2004
    I thought it gave a lot of information...moore likes to push people's buttons and i think that is so funny!
  56. HarmonyK.
    Feb 9, 2004
    The reason I give it a seven is because the things he shows and their importance. But I would have to give him a 3 on the interviews and interviewes and how he handled them.
  57. DanC.
    Apr 17, 2004
    One of the best documentaries of all time.
  58. DWP102589
    Jun 1, 2004
    I'm a Canadian and have one thing to say to all you Americans who gave this movie bad ratings: SHUT THE **** UP!!!
  59. amurabim.
    Aug 31, 2005
    Hilarious, funny, entertaining, thoughtful, universal & extremely controversial but the best documentary ever.
  60. SonnyB.
    Nov 10, 2002
    Brilliant.
  61. AaronL.
    Nov 12, 2002
    Outstanding. A film that has haunted my thoughts ever since I viewed it. I just wished he could have found an answer for the main question of the film. But I don't think he or any of us could come up with a truthful and complete answer. However, getting us all to think about and understand the question itself is a beginning.
  62. Nadia
    Nov 13, 2002
    A "must see" documentary!
  63. Chris
    Nov 14, 2002
    I thought this was a great movie. It was so funny and at the same time a really sad look at our nation. I don't think the movie was one-sided, I think it was no sided. Moore just made a general statement the we live in a fu.ked up place. A very liberal movie? Yes. One sided? No.
  64. MichaelD.
    Nov 16, 2002
    This movie is the most inspirational film ever. It is nothing short of revolutionary, jarring at times, and superbly constructed. If you pay attention to it, you will certainly leave the theatre with a motivation to rid America of its hypocrisy and filth. And not to fear - its steers clear of party lines, and bashes them both!
    Nov 16, 2002
    When there is so much dreck out there right now, it is refreshing to find a thought provoking, and yet at the same time, very funny take on gun violence in America.
  66. ScottN.
    Nov 16, 2002
    Definitely one of the best movies of the new century. Agreed, the movie did have a bit of a left-wing bias, but whether you agree with it or not, you have to admit that his argument is well-supported, and makes sense. I admit, I'm Canadian, and so maybe I just like the idea of an American seeing America the same way we do. Nevertheless, whether or not you think you'll like it, Definitely one of the best movies of the new century. Agreed, the movie did have a bit of a left-wing bias, but whether you agree with it or not, you have to admit that his argument is well-supported, and makes sense. I admit, I'm Canadian, and so maybe I just like the idea of an American seeing America the same way we do. Nevertheless, whether or not you think you'll like it, this movie is a must see. Expand
  67. SusanA.
    Nov 17, 2002
    So very thought provoking. Enlightening and disturbing. It will stay on my mind for quite a while.
  68. RickJ.G.
    Nov 18, 2002
    I think Moore overstates how good things are in Canada, which is the movie's biggest drawback. Moore considers other potential sources for our society's violence, like the missiles made by Lockheed Martin, or the soft violence of forcing a mother to work 70 hours a week and almost spend no time with her son. It's interesting how resistant many people are to trying to I think Moore overstates how good things are in Canada, which is the movie's biggest drawback. Moore considers other potential sources for our society's violence, like the missiles made by Lockheed Martin, or the soft violence of forcing a mother to work 70 hours a week and almost spend no time with her son. It's interesting how resistant many people are to trying to correlate the violence of the United States government abroad with the violence at home. Expand
  69. SaraW.
    Nov 20, 2002
    VERY very funny, and straight to the point. Dares to say and ask what no one else will. I applaud this movie!!
  70. RyanM.
    Nov 23, 2002
    A documentary to end all documentaries. One of the best movies of the year.
  71. Peter"Pete"Moss
    Oct 13, 2002
    Funny and frightening, everyone should see it.
  72. JamesL.
    Nov 6, 2002
    I that the movie is one sided but anyone should have known that going in. Personally, I really enjoyed the movie as it was provactive, sobering, revealing, and entertaining. Moore's intent is to present his view and he does so effectively. The criticism that he allows himself to be the focus of the film in many instances is irrevelant as this is his style and essential to the I that the movie is one sided but anyone should have known that going in. Personally, I really enjoyed the movie as it was provactive, sobering, revealing, and entertaining. Moore's intent is to present his view and he does so effectively. The criticism that he allows himself to be the focus of the film in many instances is irrevelant as this is his style and essential to the film's success. Expand
  73. BobH.
    Oct 18, 2002
    How refreshing -- a film about complex questions, not easy answers, that still makes you laugh your kiester off when it's not busy horrifying you. I cannot imagine a documentary more exhilarating and courageous. Never mind the chutzpah of revealing just how truly useless our media is, at the risk of alienating the very media one needs to make a political point in this country. It How refreshing -- a film about complex questions, not easy answers, that still makes you laugh your kiester off when it's not busy horrifying you. I cannot imagine a documentary more exhilarating and courageous. Never mind the chutzpah of revealing just how truly useless our media is, at the risk of alienating the very media one needs to make a political point in this country. It takes genuine courage to stand up to heavily-armed people whose default coping mechanism is violence. Charlton Heston may not realize it, but this film contains the most valuable and moving moments of his entire career. Same for Dick Clark. Go see this film! Expand
  74. BrucebaldR.
    Nov 9, 2002
    With all its faults, the message here is a powerful reminder of who we are, and how democracy in other countries is great -- as long as we like the person elected. Wow!
  75. MaartenvanR.
    Dec 23, 2002
    A stunning and thought provoking film, displaying the effects of fear created by the profit seeking media madhouses of the USA. Moreover, it portrays accurately the many factors contributing to the "sickness" of american society.
  76. JonahB.
    Dec 7, 2002
    Michael Moore is on target for about 98% of the movie. The Marilyn Manson interview was an eye-opener, as was the Heston one (but for the wrong reasons). Overall, a very important movie that asks all the right questions in a tremendously entertaining way.
  77. JasonC.
    Oct 23, 2003
    Depends on where you live to properly rate this movie. If you're an American Conservative, chances are you're gonna hate this movie. If you're a Canadian, like me, or anyone else in the world, it's eye-popping and true. Moore's thesis is that the media strikes fear into Americans, and does everything to prove it. The Marilyn Manson interview, the dropouts from Depends on where you live to properly rate this movie. If you're an American Conservative, chances are you're gonna hate this movie. If you're a Canadian, like me, or anyone else in the world, it's eye-popping and true. Moore's thesis is that the media strikes fear into Americans, and does everything to prove it. The Marilyn Manson interview, the dropouts from Columbine, the Matt Stone interview, the "Cops" show, etc. I don't see, even if you're an American Conservative, why you can't like this movie. Moore simply gives you the shocking stats, and leaves you wonder. NEVER EVER does he say in his movie that the media is bad. He simply states his thesis, and presents his side of it. He lets you to be the judge. And, even if it is incredibly biased in some ways, which documentary isn't biased? Expand
  78. GenevieveL.
    Oct 27, 2003
    Great movie!! Interesting facts that most poeple aren't aware of or just accept to live with it.... Im real pround to live in canada were the guns are strickly watch! Super movie, the reallity thats it!
  79. RichardR.
    Mar 23, 2003
    Terrific movie. Moore looked like a jackass at the Oscars (awesome dig, Steve Martin!), but in this country, jackasses are free to show themselves in any (legal) way they'd like. Again, the movie is excellent and eye-opening.
  80. CassieBlanca
    Apr 16, 2003
    Excellent, fantastic, movie. Im not a big documentary fan (however, This is Spinal Tap and Best in Show are great) but this movie changed that. It's humerous, yet serious, a perfect combination. It is all true, and Michael Moore is a true genious.
  81. Brad
    Apr 24, 2003
    Funny and True stuff.
  82. MarkS.
    Apr 24, 2003
    This is not the best documentary ever made, not by far. But it is two important things; entertaining and thought provoking. One thing that "Patriots" and "Anti-Americans" forget is the value of discussion. This movie provokes discussions about not only gun ownership, but also violence in general and perhaps most importantly the dangers of a lazy, uncritical and unprofessional media. If This is not the best documentary ever made, not by far. But it is two important things; entertaining and thought provoking. One thing that "Patriots" and "Anti-Americans" forget is the value of discussion. This movie provokes discussions about not only gun ownership, but also violence in general and perhaps most importantly the dangers of a lazy, uncritical and unprofessional media. If people talked about the issues raised instead of just saying the movie is all true or all false the US would be much better off. I think that any true "Patriot" should thoughtfully debate the issues raised in the film, while not being hesitant to find out which parts of the movie are accurate and which are not. If people do this, the movie will truly be a success and maybe us Americans will recognize that people everywhere basically want the same things. Expand
  83. DamianP.
    Sep 14, 2003
    Unfortunately, some people will never wake up to reality, even if it is presented as entertainment.
  84. BillB.
    Oct 28, 2004
    I think it's the best movie ever.
  85. BrandonS.
    Dec 13, 2003
    Any one that says this movie is bad is a closed minded conservitive fool swung way to the right. Use you head, we're not little kids.
  86. BKM
    Dec 25, 2012
    Is it unbiased, fair and logical? Absolutely not. But that's not what Moore is aiming for (no pun intended). Bowling for Columbine is an unapologetic pro-gun control polemic infused with scathing humor and pointed attacks on everyone from the national media to corporate America. The film doesn't come close to providing any real answers to the problem of gun violence, but it does strikeIs it unbiased, fair and logical? Absolutely not. But that's not what Moore is aiming for (no pun intended). Bowling for Columbine is an unapologetic pro-gun control polemic infused with scathing humor and pointed attacks on everyone from the national media to corporate America. The film doesn't come close to providing any real answers to the problem of gun violence, but it does strike a chord when it turns its attention to the culture of fear that is ingrained in our collective psyche. Just don't take it as gospel. Expand
  87. Nov 2, 2010
    This is probably the best documentary Michael Moore ever did and the reasons are easy to understand. This was a very well written and it shows that he invested a lot of sentiment and time in this. It's great and even if you don't agree with his politics you should still be able to admire this great piece of work.
  88. Sep 8, 2013
    The dark and comic tone of "Bowling for Columbine" attempts to outline the seriousness of its content, through its condescending questions to various citizens and first hand look at some unimaginable situations, the film is a look at the simplicity of picking up a firearm in America, writer, investigator, director and the sarcastic Michael Moore narrates various facts about the NationalThe dark and comic tone of "Bowling for Columbine" attempts to outline the seriousness of its content, through its condescending questions to various citizens and first hand look at some unimaginable situations, the film is a look at the simplicity of picking up a firearm in America, writer, investigator, director and the sarcastic Michael Moore narrates various facts about the National Rifle Association, the pro-gun movement, he interviews some of the most colourful individuals on screen, including a young man who sleeps with a gun under his pillow and a young man who makes his own bombs, including homemade napalm.
    The title refers to the tragic actions of two gun-wielding and bomb-making students who massacred students and teachers in Columbine High School, after a carefully orchestrated attack, an event that made people question gun control in the United States. We then see a video collage with words to various deals and decisions that the American government has made over the years, giving weapons to a country they later invade, removing democratically elected presidents and replacing them with dictators, which ironically has Louis Armstrong's "What a Wonderful World" playing over it, a startling reminder of what those in power of capable of. We then see video footage of the Columbine tragedy, as a teacher makes a frantic call to the emergency services as the gunmen turned to face the room the caller was in. What happened after was equally as disturbing, the blames, security measures and segregation of children was quite unbelievable.
    The film explores this blame and questions just what makes the Free World different from every other country, we share the same entertainment and pop culture variance, things which are blamed for these mass shootings, why does the rest of the world not have such a startling firearm death statistic as the USA. Moore has created a satirical view of serious issues that need addressed, he questions why larger issues are clouded by more menial ones, he also combines this with a perfect soundtrack, one which reflects the material on show, his interactions with a wide variety of people, from rural to urban areas of the States and even up to Canada, trying figure out the source if these problems, he puts the real problems right in "important" people faces and it's unfortunate to see such a cold reaction.
    This is touching, disturbing and influential documentary that hits the problems where they hurt, but accepts the fact that it can't do enough to change a nation, little instances happen, but they are blips on a massive scale that barely matter.
  89. Apr 21, 2014
    As relevant today as it was 12 years ago, Bowling For Columbine features Michael Moore addressing the subjects of firearms, race, fear and prejudice in a totally engaging documentary that never falls short and continues to surprise and educate even up to its bittersweet end. Participatory documentary at its finest.

1. At its best, the movie powerfully indicts our violent history. A montage of bloody U.S. interventions in foreign affairs over the last half-century, most overthrowing elected governments we didn't like, left me shaken.
  2. Fun and informative, thoughtful and thought-provoking.
  3. The New Yorker
    Reviewed by: David Denby
    When he follows his nose -- say, by tracing his own connections to Eric Harris, one of the Columbine shooters -- he implicates himself in what he hates and fears, and he emerges as a wounded patriot searching for a small measure of clarity. [28 October 2002, p. 119]