Miramax Films | Release Date: April 13, 2001
WATCH NOW
KristinaSep 14, 2001
Oh my God!!
SusanM.Oct 11, 2005
So good. So very, very good.
RachelL.Mar 1, 2006
This was a brilliant film! i thought it was hilerious! ive bought the box set of the first one, the second one, and also the missing bits too!
KimR.Oct 14, 2001
"Bridget Jones's Diary" was hilarious!
HalfwelshmanNov 21, 2012
The film adaptation of Bridget Jones's Diary is sweet, honest, hilarious and has a great British cast (and Renee Zellweger, whose accent is thankfully utterly convincing). Bridget Jones makes a compelling heroine who's a real joy to spendThe film adaptation of Bridget Jones's Diary is sweet, honest, hilarious and has a great British cast (and Renee Zellweger, whose accent is thankfully utterly convincing). Bridget Jones makes a compelling heroine who's a real joy to spend time with, and you're carried along nicely with the highs and lows (mostly lows) of her life as a thirty-something singleton looking to improve her life on romantic, professional and emotional terms. The film doesn't make any major changes to the classic rom-com formula, but when a film is this emotionally engaging, well-written (by Andrew Davies and Richard Curtis), confidently directed (by Sharon Maguire) and so ably performed by the cast, it doesn't really need to stand out much from the crowd. You might find yourself shifting a bit uncomfortably towards the end as Bridget, like many rom-com protagonists takes a painfully long time to make the right decision, but a rewarding side story exploring the strained relationship of Bridget's parents (Jim Broadbent and Gemma Jones) helps keep emotion levels high even if the main plot begins to tire. And Bridget really isn't fat, she's woman-shaped. Bridget Jones's Diary is still a great romantic comedy film that delivers everything it promises - laughter, tears and a comforting warm fuzzy feeling inside. Expand
RegOzApr 5, 2012
It is fun, indeed! Unfortunatley, a comedy that is based in ordinary life, and ordinary issues has to be a bit more realistic. To me some of the situations are just ridiculous, you just can't believe them for they are veryIt is fun, indeed! Unfortunatley, a comedy that is based in ordinary life, and ordinary issues has to be a bit more realistic. To me some of the situations are just ridiculous, you just can't believe them for they are very credible.Personally, I never managed to like Bridget...and I do like Darcy a bit...but almost all the characters are 'movie-like' stereotypical. Bridget's friends do not feel real either.. My favourite-and perhaps the only character I actually did like- character there was the one played by Hugh Grant; I believe because he was more 'human', he was real! The movie would have been much better if he and Bridget ended up together. Still, Bridget was such a mediocre, unattractive, frivolous, shallow, and uneducated girl! Thus, the 'love' between her and Darcy didn't make sense. In fact, the movie never actually shows why they fell in love with each other. Especially why Darcy falls for Bridget!. There were no bases for that. Summarizing, the movie is good for a laugh, but that's it. Would I watch it again? Yeah, indeed, I do watch it every two years. Collapse
SpangleSep 28, 2016
Having seen him in many film roles over the years, I am thoroughly convinced that Hugh Grant will only accept roles in which he can shag, at minimum, two women. Anything short and Mr. Grant will not even consider taking that role. As itHaving seen him in many film roles over the years, I am thoroughly convinced that Hugh Grant will only accept roles in which he can shag, at minimum, two women. Anything short and Mr. Grant will not even consider taking that role. As it stands, Bridget Jones's Diary (is that gramatically correct?) finds him in typical charismatic, playboy footing as Daniel Cleaver, one of the love interests fighting for the heart of Bridget Jones (Renee Zellweger). The other, far more settled contender is none other than Mark Darcy (Colin Firth). A British woman's fantasy come true, the film is a truly entertaining comedy with a killer script, good characters, and quality adherence to rom-com formula.

With terrific casting, the film is already blessed from the get go as Zellweger is terrific and perfect for the role of the not quite beautiful, yet certainly far from ugly Bridget who is single at age 32. Somehow, she manages to find her way in the middle of a love triangle. If only I could find myself in this position at age 32 with two beautiful British actresses (maybe a little old for me at the moment, but I will certainly accept Keira Knightley squaring off with Carey Mulligan...just saying). As the more stable and clearly better candidate, Firth is his typically classy and stoic self, which is perfect for the character of Darcy. Given the misinformation we are given about Darcy at the beginning, it makes the reveal of his true nature make all the more sense. We all knew that there was no way Darcy could be a jerk because Firth played him. In this way, the film kind of shows its hand with some pretty solid typecasting, though the acting is good I could care less. As the charismatic Daniel Cleaver, Hugh Grant is terrifically devilish. Somehow, you find yourself wanting Bridget to get back with him just because it is Hugh Grant. No shame.

The film may adhere very closely to romantic comedy formula, yet it is a terrific example of a well-written script in this area. I always feel the need to defend the scripts of these romantic comedies since people often write them off without seeing the film. About Time, Crazy, Stupid, Love, The Devil Wears Prada, Easy A, and 10 Things I Hate About You, being certain examples of this. Yes, they are aimed at women. Yes, they are cheesy. However, they also perfectly execute the rom-com formula. With likable characters, likable partners, and strong character development, Bridget Jones may be incredibly cliche and overly romantic for manly men, but it has what many cliche films miss. The only problem with cliche is when the film using it misses the essence of the cliche. Just having two people kiss does not make it effective. Having two people fall in love does not make it effective. Rather, having there be passion, emotion, chemistry, relatability, and heart makes it effective. Many films that use cliches often miss this. Yet, thanks to strong writing, Bridget's anguish and loneliness becomes your own. Thus, when she finds her man, you swoon. It makes you care and want to smile right along with her.

Comedically, Bridget Jones does find some faults due to an over-reliance on cringe comedy. It causes me physical pain and is not my style. Putting the protagonist in such awkward positions it makes me have to look away from the screen is not funny. Though the film can be cute and charming with its comedy for the most part, there are a few too many scenes deeply reliant on making me cringe, which is an absolute shame.

An undeniable piece of pop cinema infused with late 90s/early 00s pop music that makes you want to dance in your seat, Bridget Jones's Diary is a truly enjoyable romantic comedy with likable characters and a romance you care about. Plus, who among us has not indulged in overly enthusiastic singing of our favorite songs behind closed doors? It is certainly worth noting that Renee Zellweger's air guitar skills were on point.
marcmyworksSep 17, 2016
Bridget Jones's Diary is easily one of the best romantic comedies ever made. It really speaks to the time of singletons in England. I am a big fan of the books and this film did the source material justice.
lukechristianscMar 29, 2016
One of the most cliche'd romantic comedies I've seen, but it's a great film adaptation to the source material but the screenplay written by Helen Fielding (based on her novel she works on the screenplay), Andrew Davies and Richard CurtisOne of the most cliche'd romantic comedies I've seen, but it's a great film adaptation to the source material but the screenplay written by Helen Fielding (based on her novel she works on the screenplay), Andrew Davies and Richard Curtis (Notting Hill, Four Weddings and a Funeral) is super charming and is spiking wit also is cheerful, the script and Sharon Maguire's direction work perfectly together. Renee Zellweger couldn't be more perfect to play Bridget Jones, she outshines the material. Renee Zellweger plays Bridget Jones, a 32 year old decides it's time she takes control of her life by keeping a diary. She's a heavy-drinking heavy-smoking, who works in publishing, is torn between Daniel Cleaver (Hugh Grant) and Mark Darcy (Colin Firth) who is introduced to Bridget in a god-awful sweater. Bridget's mother (Gemma Jones) has left her husband (Jim Broadbent) for a TV huckster. Despite it's cliche's it has a intelligent screenplay and three great performances by Zellweger, Firth and Grant. 5 out of 5 stars Expand
juliankennedy23Jul 10, 2014
Bridget Jones's Diary: 4/10: There have been a great number of woman's films that have successfully crossed over to the mainstream. Sleepless in Seattle, Jerry Maguire and Aliens are three classic examples of "chick flicks" that men can watchBridget Jones's Diary: 4/10: There have been a great number of woman's films that have successfully crossed over to the mainstream. Sleepless in Seattle, Jerry Maguire and Aliens are three classic examples of "chick flicks" that men can watch with their ladies, enjoy the film, and still get credit for being a sensitive guy that likes what she likes.

Bridget Jones's Diary tries to come across as a frothy crossover comedy. You know one of those estrogen flicks that Hugh Grant now does since Tom Hanks was shipped off to make "important films". Diary however doesn't successfully crossover. It's a real chick flick through and through.

The thirty something equivalent of Sixteen Candles. In fact it seems to have basically the same plot and characters as that John Hughes eighties perennial. Instead of our sixteen-year-old ugly duckling we have a thirty two year old overweight alcoholic with virtually no social skills. And instead of one impossible cute and rich suitor we now have two impossible rich and handsome suitors that fight over our protagonist.

Now I have always felt Renee Zellweger was easy on the eyes and talented to boot. As for the extra weight she put on,(An act that the media with a straight face called "brave") well let's just say she wears it well. Her character however is such a horrible deceptive person that one really wonders why either man would want her for anything more than a quick shag.

Like those other lovable raging alcoholics of the silver screen say Arthur or The McKenzie Brothers two hours of screen time is one thing but day-to-day living is another. One really wonders how long either man would really stick around with Miss Jones? (A: Till he got tired of shagging her.)

One last question. What's is with the music? It's Raining Men? Ain't No Mountain High Enough? Does the CIA use this soundtrack on prisoners at Abu Ghraib? Doesn't the Geneva Convention mean anything?
EpicLadySpongeApr 6, 2016
You know, diaries are overrated. Let's just not think about them and go home.... however, when I read this upcoming, I never expected it to be that great anyways.