Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation | Release Date: January 18, 2013
5.5
Mixed or average reviews based on 94 Ratings
Watch Now
danny_danJan 23, 2013
Do not miss out on this movie! I thought Marky Mark would just be OK, but this movie will leave you breathless and Speachless at the same time. Should have been nominated for the Oscars.
phlillyphilz17Jan 18, 2013
Not as good as it intends to be, considering that Mark Wahlberg, Russell Crowe and Catherine Zeta-Jones are in it, but it is still a fun movie to watch.
imthenoobMay 11, 2013
Good acting by the cast and the twist that happens mid-way through the film really keeps things fresh and puts you back on your toes to see how it plays out. I thought it was a rather enjoyable movie. I'd recommend it.
NavQJan 28, 2013
Storyline: This is the rather unimaginative story of police and political corruption in New York. Mayor Hostetler (Russell Crow) hires ex cop Billy Taggart (Mark Wahlberg) to follow his wife (Catherine Zeta-Jones) and take pictures of herStoryline: This is the rather unimaginative story of police and political corruption in New York. Mayor Hostetler (Russell Crow) hires ex cop Billy Taggart (Mark Wahlberg) to follow his wife (Catherine Zeta-Jones) and take pictures of her being unfaithful. People start dying and Billy starts to realise that nothing is quite what it seems. While this is a good movie it never really strays from the formula which doesn't exactly make for riveting viewing.

Acting: While this does have a great cast, there are no stand out performances by anyone. Everyone does a good job but little more and for a cast of this calibre it's a wasted opportunity. Mark Wahlberg is in my books a brilliant actor and can usually pull out touches of greatness but not here. Everyone really was good but I kind of hoped for more. Oh well.

Direction: The films biggest problem is perhaps Allen Hughes who has missed a huge opportunity with this. A more seasoned director could have added some stylish touches to this humdrum script because he had the actors and budget to achieve something memorable but no. A real pity.

Production: I have to admit the overall package is decent enough but almost feels like a TV movie. Almost. I remember seeing the trailer and thinking that it looked like a very good thriller but instead we get just plain good.

Conclusion: This is enjoyable if somewhat predictable but it entertained and that is ultimately what counts. Recommended.

Score: 7/10
JohnnyStephensAug 31, 2013
Great thriller but not for everyone. It seems that some critics want to get surprised from something in a film, and that's why they always say bad things about them. Watch it!! That's my opinion.
Bruce722May 19, 2013
Broken City is a very good movie but it's not the type of movie I thought it would be. That's not to say the trailers misrepresented the film in any way, only that Mark Wahlberg isn't known for his political thrillers. That being said, thisBroken City is a very good movie but it's not the type of movie I thought it would be. That's not to say the trailers misrepresented the film in any way, only that Mark Wahlberg isn't known for his political thrillers. That being said, this was a very good political thriller with solid acting across the board, especially from Russell Crowe. The characters all developed well and the plot was great. The twists came about in a nice fashion, not out of left field where nobody could possibly see them coming, which has unfortunately become a trend in the increasingly uncreative Hollywood climate. The film did drag quite a bit and the ending felt a bit rushed when it happened but I'd say all-in-all this was a solid film that most people would enjoy. Expand
TechnosaurusJun 29, 2013
Having never seen the previews, I found myself immediately turned off by the cast/plot combo as described by my friends (who had only seen previews). Coming into the viewing with a negative outlook, I found myself very pleasantly surprised.Having never seen the previews, I found myself immediately turned off by the cast/plot combo as described by my friends (who had only seen previews). Coming into the viewing with a negative outlook, I found myself very pleasantly surprised. While initially very slow and monotonous, the movie has decent twists and a fast pace when it comes to the fine details. I do believe, however, that some story elements were completely unnecessary (I'm referring to the relationship between Mark Wahlberg's character and his girlfriend.) While the movie is admittedly not perfect, overall I believe it is vastly underrated and I would definitely recommend it to intelligent and patient individuals. It is a political drama/thriller, for anyone wondering, but I found it to be true to reality with regards to how ruthless and insensitive people can be. Expand
ExKingFeb 1, 2014
It's one of those movies who you just have to watch it and decide for yourself and stop reading reviews about it, because the reviews are mixed and disturbing 50% are good and the other 50% are bad,
and the reason for this is that the movie
and the reason for this is that the movie is so easily to misunderstood. some say it's a predictable plot, some say awful screenplay or awful directing and i say it's an enjoyable movie with a great message behind it.
it's a crime/thriller movie, definitely not the best in the genre but it's good in so many levels that people tends to ignore.
the performances were solid, obviously (Mark,Russell and Zeta-Jones), the screening was beautiful and the music was very good, the plot is average but what do you expect from a movie about Corruption, i mean it might be a predictable but it have a great message behind it.
kretch89May 30, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I thought this was a great movie. It is definitely one of those movies you have pay attention because there are a few plot twists. The one criticism I have is that there were a few slow parts and I thought there was going to be a little more action. But all in all a very good movie. Expand
ilaniaFeb 19, 2014
If you wish to see Russel Crowe speaking American and wearing a hair piece it is OK. For men they added Catherine Zeta Jones and for us chicks there is the charismatic Marc Wahlberg and an actor called Pepper who does not even have salt andIf you wish to see Russel Crowe speaking American and wearing a hair piece it is OK. For men they added Catherine Zeta Jones and for us chicks there is the charismatic Marc Wahlberg and an actor called Pepper who does not even have salt and pepper. However, I did not fall asleep - Admit Wahlberg does it for me. Expand