Brothers

8.7

1. Dec 18, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The entire premise of the movie is totally bizarre to start out with. A marine hacking his fellow marine to death because some medieval Ali Baba's tell him to deserves absolutely no sympathy, and puts the military in a really bad light. I cannot imagine any soldier actually doing that. It leaves you with an empty feeling. Expand
  2. NathanB.
    Dec 8, 2009
    This movie left me feeling uneasy and awkward throughout. It felt pointless and left me wondering why I decided to watch Tobey Maguire try..
  3. ThomasL.
    Apr 2, 2010
    Unwatchable dreck. Heavy handed, anti-military movie from Hollywood mooks with NO understanding of the military, human beings or the world, in general. Ebert thought it was great. Say no more.

1. Irish director Jim Sheridan, who has made his films in America in recent years, now delivers an American remake that hues closely to the original but loses some of its true grit.
  2. Reviewed by: Justin Chang
    Though it renders a convincing portrait of fractured family life and boasts its share of powerfully acted moments, this schematic tale of two siblings, ripped apart by jealousy, misunderstanding and unshakable trauma, plays like a more polished but less effective twin to the 2005 Danish original.
  3. Sheridan’s actors work with their intellects fully engaged--and they engage us on levels we barely knew we had.