7.9

1. StevenB.
    Jun 1, 2010
    This is the most emotionally effective film I have thus far seen in my life. Superb acting all around, and incredibly tense situations throughout.
  2. Mar 2, 2013
    De las mejores interpretaciones de Tobey Maguire, Natalie Portman y Jake Gyllenhaall. Desgarradora. Romántica. Familiar. Dura. Nos hace odiar la guerra. Jake Gyllenhaall está guapísimo.
  3. JonW.
    Jan 4, 2010
    Powerful film, one of best of year - way better than the more critically praised ho hum, depressing Up in the Air.
  4. javierr.
    Apr 2, 2010
    Excellent film. one of the best of the year. storyline and acting are excellent. do not miss it!
  5. JordanK.
    Dec 4, 2009
    A really powerful movie with what I thought was incredible acting. Toby Mcquire I thought was almost silly at times in the Spiderman movies but he really carried this movie along with Jake Gyllenhaal. Great pacing, great writing, and great acting. Especially hit home for me and my gf because I'm leaving to basic training soon.
  6. Mr.JohnP.
    Dec 5, 2009
    A beautiful drama movie !! Great actors for a movie extraordinary !! Oscar for Natalie Portman!!
  7. PhilS.
    Dec 8, 2009
    I loved this movie because of what the actors brought. You'll find some surprising things from the smallest places..i dont want to give anything away. Just enjoy the movie and try to take Natalie Portman seriously.
  8. MiriamR.
    Jan 30, 2010
    The best film I've ever seen. Very touching. Brilliant actors.
  9. tabhard
    Dec 20, 2009
    I don't know what movie the critics watched because this movie was right on point with what our soldiers and their familiies are going through every day!
  10. JulieP
    Dec 26, 2009
    Each actor gave their all for the characters. With a intense story and fantastic actors, this movie let you be a part of it's highs and lows.
  11. PeterG.
    Dec 4, 2009
    It was an excellant ensemble cast production. You felt the intimacy, the emotions, the frustra- tions, and yearning for meaning and happiness of a modern day family during time of war. The mov- took you there and made you feel what the char- acters were feeling. You can't ask for much more.
  12. sabiner
    Dec 5, 2009
    Great movie, wonderful acting!
  13. DebbieG
    Dec 5, 2009
    I loved it! Natalie Portman and Tobey both deserve an Oscar.
  14. ChadS.
    Dec 6, 2009
    The raging bull has no proof, just a hunch, that Joey(Joe Pesci) is sleeping with Vickie(Cathy Moriarity) behind his back. Jack LaMotta(Robert DeNiro) may, or may not, be right, because Scorsese lets moviegoers decide for themselves if the boxer's paranoia about possible transgressions between his brother and wife are warranted. It's this same sort of ambiguity that "Brothers" The raging bull has no proof, just a hunch, that Joey(Joe Pesci) is sleeping with Vickie(Cathy Moriarity) behind his back. Jack LaMotta(Robert DeNiro) may, or may not, be right, because Scorsese lets moviegoers decide for themselves if the boxer's paranoia about possible transgressions between his brother and wife are warranted. It's this same sort of ambiguity that "Brothers" needs, as Sam(Tobey Maguire), the feisty spider, notes how Tommy(Jake Gyllenhaal) and Grace(Natalie Portman) carry on like teenagers at the skating rink. But the filmmaker telegraphs their innocence, in a scene where the black sheep brother and wife of a "dead" G.I. smoke pot and kiss, but nothing more(even though their love would have been a foregone conclusion had fate not intervened). Since the moviegoer knows the limits to their relationship, Sam's point blank accusation of infidelity sounds like the ravings of a madman, and not the prescience of a dead man walking, who knows his existence is practically irrelevant. This tweak to the film's calibration, in which the intimations of a physical relationship looms like an aura, would have kicked the pathos up a notch, because the moviegoer sees how Sam's death was the best thing that ever happened to Tommy. The drama of "Brothers" is at the homefront, not an Afghanistanian hot zone, but Tobey Maguire is too big of a star to be kept in the filmic negative space. When Sam comes home a transformed man, for the worst, Grace doesn't know the root cause of this human alchemy, and neither should we. Sam's unpardonable act could have been taken care of with a simple flashback. "Brothers" is a domestic drama that's constantly interrupted by the war, but the moviegoer pardons the interruption. This remake of the 2005 Susanne Bier original("Brodre") had me chained to my seat. The acting is, lights out terrific, perhaps, the best ensemble job in a major studio film this year, so far. Expand

1. Irish director Jim Sheridan, who has made his films in America in recent years, now delivers an American remake that hues closely to the original but loses some of its true grit.
  2. Reviewed by: Justin Chang
    Though it renders a convincing portrait of fractured family life and boasts its share of powerfully acted moments, this schematic tale of two siblings, ripped apart by jealousy, misunderstanding and unshakable trauma, plays like a more polished but less effective twin to the 2005 Danish original.
  3. Sheridan’s actors work with their intellects fully engaged--and they engage us on levels we barely knew we had.