Bus 174

8.0

1. MioO.
    Jan 1, 2004
    The so-called "reality TV" pales in comparison with the gripping big-screen documentary "Bus 174."
  2. BernardoMelloF.
    Oct 11, 2003
    Good film, that attempts to discuss the whole social issue in Brazil based on a famous crime. Only it spends more time with the thrilling file images from the scene than it was necessary to tell the story. Nevertheless, 174 Bus is good cinema and good journalism. Watch it if comes to your town - Bernardo MF. Rio, Brazil
  3. DonnaJ.
    Jan 20, 2004
    It was compelling. As the credits rolled in the dark theater afterwards, there was total silence. Our breath had been taken away. We were waiting to exhale. I spent the next day at work, telling anyone who would listen, they had to see this film, and then we'd talk about it.
  4. OlaA.
    Jan 27, 2004
    It's the best movie I've seen for a long time, Padilha's film like a truly important voice. A voice that should concern anyone, especially those of us living in larger cities, anywhere. I cried, which I haven't done for years in a theatre; not out of pity, this movie is so much more than just a poor melancolic flirt. I cried near the end as people are rioting, fighting It's the best movie I've seen for a long time, Padilha's film like a truly important voice. A voice that should concern anyone, especially those of us living in larger cities, anywhere. I cried, which I haven't done for years in a theatre; not out of pity, this movie is so much more than just a poor melancolic flirt. I cried near the end as people are rioting, fighting to get hold of Sandro, to lynch him; the non-futility of how real problems are generally dealt with, so saddeningly apperent in that moment.. We live in a world where judgement is passed out from those of us who can afford it, with no consideration other than in the interest of keeping us separated from those who can not. As expressed so clearly in this film, they have no voice to begin with. It seems stories like that of Sandro, could have been told on so many occasions, stories that seem so banal to us they make no more than three rows in any paper. _This_ is the true horror? For once there is an attempt to give us a view with fuller perspective - go see this amazing documentary. Expand
  5. Rosie
    Aug 12, 2004
    You cannot help but feel for Nacimiento. To think that there are so many kids just like him out there. Tired of being "invisible", his cry for attention got him killed.
  6. Candy
    Mar 16, 2006
    Amazingly shocking tale of a very sad and desparate young man with no specific agenda that escalated because no one was in control, not him, not the hostages, and especially not the police. The fact that the police killed him at the end was unavoidable but also inhumane. I put it up there with Munich for movies to watch just to get a glimpse into what someone is capable of doing when Amazingly shocking tale of a very sad and desparate young man with no specific agenda that escalated because no one was in control, not him, not the hostages, and especially not the police. The fact that the police killed him at the end was unavoidable but also inhumane. I put it up there with Munich for movies to watch just to get a glimpse into what someone is capable of doing when pushed to the point of no return and feeling no help from those who we pay our taxes for to help. Expand
  7. SwagV.
    Mar 10, 2007
    Haunting. While I can't say it's among the best movies ever made, it's one that has stuck with me afterwards as long as anything.
  8. Jun 18, 2012
    It's a brave documentary in which portrays the real situation that had happened in the big city of Brazil. The truth is not for the baby to be blamed but the society.
  9. Jan 4, 2014
    2000 olhava atentos a tv o desespero d0 174, eu na época devia ter uns 4 anos mais ao ver esse documentário fiquei chocado com as cenas. Simplesmente um filme super tenso.
  10. Oct 26, 2014
    Score 7/10 Sandro is the name of our protagonist in Bus 174. The film is the latest in a long line of documentaries dealing with the street children of Brazil. This documentary is simply the cream of the crop. Using actual footage of a hostage crisis where Sandro takes a municipal bus hostage the film creates great tension for the viewer. (Especially American viewers like myself who haveScore 7/10 Sandro is the name of our protagonist in Bus 174. The film is the latest in a long line of documentaries dealing with the street children of Brazil. This documentary is simply the cream of the crop. Using actual footage of a hostage crisis where Sandro takes a municipal bus hostage the film creates great tension for the viewer. (Especially American viewers like myself who have no idea how this turns out.) Interspersed between scenes of the hostage crisis are talking head interviews (a mixed bag from fascinating like Sandro's Aunt to annoying such as Sandro's social worker). Most fascinating is the sheer volume of footage from Sandro's street life before the crisis. The Documentary filmmakers really went out of their way to dig up these treasures.

The documentary is not without flaws however. The sheer volume of people who helped Sandro out in his young life undercuts the whole street kid premise of the film. The middle third does drag as many have noted and there is a horribly misjudged scene in a jail where prisoners shout out their grievances. (Shot in the negative like the monster vision from a mid-nineties creature feature it is a clear fabrication as the filmmakers were denied access to the actual jail in question. It is unnecessary and kills the mood like that Trey Parker style cartoon in Bowling for Columbine).

Those overall minor flaws aside this is one fascinating documentary that truly takes you into another world. Despite cursing and brief male nudity I would recommend this to every high school history class to see how the third world really lives.

1. Padilha allows neither easy answers nor ironic commentary, producing on both sides of the conflict a world of inconsolable grief.
    An amazingly powerful piece of cinema. Actually, it's more an amazingly powerful piece of news journalism; the kind of in-depth stories told in all their complexity that such fluff American network "news" magazines as "Dateline" could only dream about telling.
  3. This gripping Brazilian documentary shows a bus hijacking that spirals out of control because of police incompetence.