Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation | Release Date: October 24, 1969
8.8
Universal acclaim based on 120 Ratings
WATCH NOW
grandpajoe6191Sep 30, 2011
Robert Redford and Paul Newman owns "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" with their harmony performances. Its not great, but it will make you stick in your chair till the end.
SpangleMar 7, 2014
Really good film. The chemistry between Paul Newman and Robert Redford is infectious as one picks up right where the other left off the entire film. It was also unexpectedly quite funny, as the one liners were just priceless and show why theReally good film. The chemistry between Paul Newman and Robert Redford is infectious as one picks up right where the other left off the entire film. It was also unexpectedly quite funny, as the one liners were just priceless and show why the screenplay has received so much praise and why it deserves all of that praise. As with most of these classic westerns, the cinematography and set pieces were phenomenal and in this one, the action sequences were great and incredibly intense. The chase sequences were also great and I love how we are kept in the dark as to who is following them, just as they do not know. While I loved this, there were some definite negatives. First of all, there was no real plot, other than focusing on the exploits of Butch and Sundance, though it does not really go anywhere. Not a major complaint, but a complaint nonetheless. Another small complaint would be the pacing, as at times it got a tad too slow, but throughout much of the film, the slow pace was never that much of a problem. My main complaint would be Katharine Ross. Her acting here, in my opinion, was just flat out bad. I never really bought into her character and she was severely outclassed by her two legendary castmates. Expand
MamaTLFAug 31, 2013
This movie shows us that a western film can be entertaining and intriguing without a bad ass main character that wins 3:1 gunfights. Its a slow pace experience that keeps you curios and makes you laugh with certain scenes and events.
MattLMay 9, 2009
How can a movie get any better than this. From the one liners, the chemistry between Newman & Redford, the score. I rate all movies based off this movie. This is a masterpiece.
RayaD.Jun 10, 2007
Love this movie! In-depth yet jovial and vivacious. This rustic film brings out all kinds of emotions.
ShogoLNov 8, 2007
An amazing film. Very unconventional Western , but it is without a doubt, still, a Western. And one of the best I've ever seen. The characters are what really sell this movie the most, Newman and Redford play their roles so well that An amazing film. Very unconventional Western , but it is without a doubt, still, a Western. And one of the best I've ever seen. The characters are what really sell this movie the most, Newman and Redford play their roles so well that without them I wonder if the movie would work at all. It's too bad that so many of the "film experts" seemed to entirely miss the point of the movie-but the audiences love it, and the film is regarded by many to be among the greatest Western films made-for a good reason. I don't want to start rambling on and on about how amazing it is, so I'll stop-you go see it yourself, and nothing else will need to be said. Great stuff. Expand
ERG1008Aug 19, 2010
Infamous Wild West robbers, do one too many robberies, authorities come after them, move to Bolivia, same again.
A fantastic "buddy" film making two legendary criminals very like-able. Paul Newman is the charming schemer whilst Robert Redford the pretty but deadly one. Superb chemistry between the actors make this fun & of course the ending is moving & iconic.
Not the grittiest of Westerns but a really entertaining watch.
ovi_bzJan 8, 2011
It's a classic. Two great actors.
The_MOWMay 18, 2011
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. "Gorge Cassidy" (Paul Newman), a.k.a. "Butch Cassidy", and "Lonny Longbaugh" (Robert Redoford), a.k.a. "The Sundance Kid, are two of the greatest robbers in the history of the Old West. They pulled jobs on banks and trains with an expertise that made them famous from coast to coast.

Now, years after being out of the business for about two decades, they decide to pull one last bank heist in Bolivia, with the help of a school teacher (Katharine Ross) with romantic ties to both men.

I have to say that I am pretty disappointed in this film. I found it to be slow, with not enough action considering the topic of the movie. It dragged so much that I noticed spending more attention to my computer than watching the movie itself on cable television.

One thing that stood out was the on-screen relationship between Newman and Redford. This is what carries the movie I believe, and most likely why this movie is called a classic now. You feel as if the two are not just partners in crime, but friends with the ribbing that they give one another.

Another problem with this movie is the soundtrack. The only piece of music that is memorable is Raindrops Keep Fallin' on My Head by BJ Thomas, and that was a weird tune for a Western set in the Old West. If you ask me, the song was just an odd choice.

I also barely enjoyed Ross as "Etta Place". Her character was barely developed if you asked me. It appeared that she was there as a romantic interest, and to help teach "Butch" and "Sundance" Spanish for their attempt at robbing the Bolivian bank.

If you expect a lot of gunfights, you are mistaken on this one. Of what there is in the movie, they are short and well placed.

The cinematography is hard for me to judge since Encore Westerns used a pan-and-scan format. I had to deal with only half of a scene when two people were talking to one another. But, from wide shots, I could see some spectacular scenery, including the famous scene when the title characters jump from a cliff into the water.

Because it was declared a classic, I've been wanting to see this movie. I am highly disappointed in it.
Compi24Mar 29, 2016
Newman and Redford's chemistry will seep out of the TV and onto the of your living room in "Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid," William Goldman and George Roy Hill's love letter to the beautifully rustic charms of the American Old West. WithNewman and Redford's chemistry will seep out of the TV and onto the of your living room in "Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid," William Goldman and George Roy Hill's love letter to the beautifully rustic charms of the American Old West. With an iconic score and an equally iconic slew of images, the film is sure to please both Western geeks and casual moviegoers alike. It's got sass, wit, blisteringly funny moments of levity, and a rightful place on the brighter side of film history. Expand
ScorpionApr 29, 2013
The plot with the slow pace and elegant design the best thing in the movie, the main characters, who are perfectly played by Redford and Newman,, conveying to the viewer a relationship of equilibrium and friendship between them
manofthemoonFeb 16, 2015
A film that has rightly become a classic. An anti-western with the heroes on the run for most of the film, it broke the mould in how westerns were being made. Great performances from Newman, Redford and Ross, beautifully shot and told, "ButchA film that has rightly become a classic. An anti-western with the heroes on the run for most of the film, it broke the mould in how westerns were being made. Great performances from Newman, Redford and Ross, beautifully shot and told, "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" is great viewing again and again and again. Expand
poewilsonFeb 6, 2014
Not a movie that I thoroughly enjoyed and aside from the chemistry of the two stars I felt no genuine force driving me to continue watching said piece from an entertainment standpoint, however from a cinematic stand point one can see why itNot a movie that I thoroughly enjoyed and aside from the chemistry of the two stars I felt no genuine force driving me to continue watching said piece from an entertainment standpoint, however from a cinematic stand point one can see why it is consider one of the classics. So on a personal level I feel a 6.5 is more than appropriate for this uneven farce, however on the Poe scale it does score an 8.
Acting: 1.5/2
Cinematography: 2/2
Editing: 1.5/2
Effects and Design 1.5/2
Writing: 1.5/2
BetterOffDead_May 14, 2014
your anti hero western! this movie is based around two characters played by (paul newman and robert redford) there acting is great this movie is great. this movie does lean towards the characters chemistry most of the time, but thats whatsyour anti hero western! this movie is based around two characters played by (paul newman and robert redford) there acting is great this movie is great. this movie does lean towards the characters chemistry most of the time, but thats whats great this about it. i recommend watching i give it a 8.5 Expand
VinceRocks123May 15, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. one of my early favorite western's with that a sweet taste like a plain mexican dish, George Roy Hill's violent western with Paul Newman and Robert Redford as the infamous gunslingers who become the one of the last outlaws of the west to be hunted down in the early 20th century, is tense in climatic as the dashing train robbers are chased out of the desert plateau of railroads and saloons and brothels by a new unstoppable force of law and order to the moist terrains of Bolivia were there final act for redemption is about to take place

Conrad L. Hall's cinematography was well executed within transforming from silent sepia format to color with sound as this western astounds you it rivals Bonnie and Clyde with more ways than one featuring my favorite oscar winning song "Raindrops"