8.1

1. Sep 30, 2011
    Robert Redford and Paul Newman owns "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" with their harmony performances. Its not great, but it will make you stick in your chair till the end.
  2. Mar 7, 2014
    Really good film. The chemistry between Paul Newman and Robert Redford is infectious as one picks up right where the other left off the entire film. It was also unexpectedly quite funny, as the one liners were just priceless and show why the screenplay has received so much praise and why it deserves all of that praise. As with most of these classic westerns, the cinematography and set pieces were phenomenal and in this one, the action sequences were great and incredibly intense. The chase sequences were also great and I love how we are kept in the dark as to who is following them, just as they do not know. While I loved this, there were some definite negatives. First of all, there was no real plot, other than focusing on the exploits of Butch and Sundance, though it does not really go anywhere. Not a major complaint, but a complaint nonetheless. Another small complaint would be the pacing, as at times it got a tad too slow, but throughout much of the film, the slow pace was never that much of a problem. My main complaint would be Katharine Ross. Her acting here, in my opinion, was just flat out bad. I never really bought into her character and she was severely outclassed by her two legendary castmates. Expand
  3. Aug 31, 2013
    This movie shows us that a western film can be entertaining and intriguing without a bad ass main character that wins 3:1 gunfights. Its a slow pace experience that keeps you curios and makes you laugh with certain scenes and events.
  4. Aug 19, 2010
    Infamous Wild West robbers, do one too many robberies, authorities come after them, move to Bolivia, same again.
    A fantastic "buddy" film making two legendary criminals very like-able. Paul Newman is the charming schemer whilst Robert Redford the pretty but deadly one. Superb chemistry between the actors make this fun & of course the ending is moving & iconic.
    Not the grittiest of Westerns
    but a really entertaining watch. Expand
  5. Jan 8, 2011
    It's a classic. Two great actors.
  6. May 18, 2011
    This review contains spoilers. "Gorge Cassidy" (Paul Newman), a.k.a. "Butch Cassidy", and "Lonny Longbaugh" (Robert Redoford), a.k.a. "The Sundance Kid, are two of the greatest robbers in the history of the Old West. They pulled jobs on banks and trains with an expertise that made them famous from coast to coast.

Now, years after being out of the business for about two decades, they decide to pull one last bank heist in Bolivia, with the help of a school teacher (Katharine Ross) with romantic ties to both men.

I have to say that I am pretty disappointed in this film. I found it to be slow, with not enough action considering the topic of the movie. It dragged so much that I noticed spending more attention to my computer than watching the movie itself on cable television.

One thing that stood out was the on-screen relationship between Newman and Redford. This is what carries the movie I believe, and most likely why this movie is called a classic now. You feel as if the two are not just partners in crime, but friends with the ribbing that they give one another.

Another problem with this movie is the soundtrack. The only piece of music that is memorable is Raindrops Keep Fallin' on My Head by BJ Thomas, and that was a weird tune for a Western set in the Old West. If you ask me, the song was just an odd choice.

I also barely enjoyed Ross as "Etta Place". Her character was barely developed if you asked me. It appeared that she was there as a romantic interest, and to help teach "Butch" and "Sundance" Spanish for their attempt at robbing the Bolivian bank.

If you expect a lot of gunfights, you are mistaken on this one. Of what there is in the movie, they are short and well placed.

The cinematography is hard for me to judge since Encore Westerns used a pan-and-scan format. I had to deal with only half of a scene when two people were talking to one another. But, from wide shots, I could see some spectacular scenery, including the famous scene when the title characters jump from a cliff into the water.

Because it was declared a classic, I've been wanting to see this movie. I am highly disappointed in it.
  7. Apr 29, 2013
    The plot with the slow pace and elegant design the best thing in the movie, the main characters, who are perfectly played by Redford and Newman,, conveying to the viewer a relationship of equilibrium and friendship between them
  8. Feb 6, 2014
    Not a movie that I thoroughly enjoyed and aside from the chemistry of the two stars I felt no genuine force driving me to continue watching said piece from an entertainment standpoint, however from a cinematic stand point one can see why it is consider one of the classics. So on a personal level I feel a 6.5 is more than appropriate for this uneven farce, however on the Poe scale it does score an 8.
    Acting: 1.5/2
    Cinematography: 2/2
    Editing: 1.5/2
    Effects and Design 1.5/2
    Writing: 1.5/2
  9. May 14, 2014
    your anti hero western! this movie is based around two characters played by (paul newman and robert redford) there acting is great this movie is great. this movie does lean towards the characters chemistry most of the time, but thats whats great this about it. i recommend watching i give it a 8.5

George Roy Hill's 1969 film moves with steady, stupid grace from oozy sentimentality to nihilistic violence.
    This good movie is buried beneath millions of dollars that were spent on "production values" that wreck the show.
  3. Reviewed by: Bob McCabe
    Note-perfect performances, a screenplay steeped in both nostalgia and a timely sense of insight, and anti-heroes you can't help but love.