By Hook or by Crook

8.2

1. ShannonC.
    Dec 6, 2002
    I am giving this movie a 10 based on originality and performance. Harry Dodge gave the best performance and had the most presence than I have seen in years! Not to mention it was the first movie created by Dodge & Howard. Bravo!
  2. LillyD.
    Jan 9, 2003
    I enjoyed this movie and have watched it a number of times. Gender wasn't an issue for me. I was interested in the psychosomatic illness portrade in the film. I hope the writers/directors of the film will do more work. Thank you.
  3. GeerteF.
    Jan 9, 2003
    Original, intriguing, different. We need films like this; Realler than The Real World. And to me it wasn't about sex, lesbians, transgender and all that, eventhough it was hyped that way in the info. To me it was about people who dare to be themselves and who love eachother for that reason as well. It takes balls to be a genuine freak and not to submit to societies pressure to Original, intriguing, different. We need films like this; Realler than The Real World. And to me it wasn't about sex, lesbians, transgender and all that, eventhough it was hyped that way in the info. To me it was about people who dare to be themselves and who love eachother for that reason as well. It takes balls to be a genuine freak and not to submit to societies pressure to change. And freaks need to stick together. That's what it was about for me. Other than that I loved the soundtrack (where is it listed?) and I liked the different approaches in camera work. Expand
  4. Devon
    Jul 3, 2003
    Great character study. Harry Dodge is superbly engaging as Valentine..one of the best performances I have seen.
    May 31, 2004
    This is a movie you won't want to miss. For once, I was truly entertained. I hope they make another. Harry Dodge is the best!

1. Reviewed by: Robert Koehler
    No movie like this about friendship between two young lesbians and their various adventures, punctuated with laissez-faire jump-cutting, should be this boring.
    An appealing, if decidedly unconventional, buddy picture that seems to channel "Midnight Cowboy" while going its own quirky way.
  3. Long, inchoate scenes are burdened by overwrought plotlines -- But the film is buoyed by moments of pleasure, too.