8.2

1. May 20, 2014
    Captain Phillips is brilliantly acted and incredibly tense. It features one of Tom Hanks' finest performances and Paul Greengrass at his best behind the camera.
  2. Nov 29, 2013
    I see any movie that Tom Hanks is in. This is a decent movie, but not among Tom's best. I found the locale off the shore of Somalia and in the Arabian nice.
  3. Dec 3, 2013
    Bravo! Hanks is back and in fine form, as usual the man put me to sleep in about 5 minutes. Only problem is Julia Roberts is nowhere to be seen, if she was in it I would have been asleep before the opening credits finished. Hanks deserve a lifetime award of some sort for being the most bland boring man in Hollowood.
  4. Dec 5, 2013
    The Best in the movie is that we have a true story, an amazing rescue of that captain, an astonishing acting performance by Tom Hanks which make the movie better, good choice of the somalis, a lot of suspense and one of 2013 top 10.
  5. Apr 5, 2014
    The only issue I really had with 'Captain Phillips' was the cinematography in the first half of the film and the chintzy way they "foreshadowed" events to viewer. Especially when based on real events, that is simply inexcusable. I never really got that feeling of tension or anxiety watching the film until the very end. Tom Hank's performance in the last 15 minutes of that film really hit home and was some of the best acting I have seen in a long time. Expand
  6. Jun 16, 2014
    I have but one word to comment on Tom Hanks' performance: Outstanding. Remark on Paul Greengrass' direction ? He deserves to win the Oscar Award for Best Director. They together brought a tense, thrilling story centering on a man's struggle with ruthless Somalian pirates to guarantee the sake of his crew as a captain's duty while at the same time saving his own life. A must-see blockbuster that makes you unable to keep your eyes off the screen Expand
  7. Dec 28, 2013
    Greengrass' lends his signature documentary feel to the film, giving it a potent urgency that left me feeling more excited than truly emotionally invested. Tom Hanks, typically solid, saves some of the film's most powerful acting for the last few scenes.
  8. Mar 7, 2014
    Captain Phillips does a great job showing off Tom Hanks as a strong and cunning leader of the Maersk Alabama with a family back in the states. The film is very good for setting a nice plot with some unease and doubt they will make it past the Somalian coast without getting highjacked. Once the pirates attack the action doesn't stop. Still the movie does make you feel bad at the beginning for these "poor fishermen" until you realize they chose their path in life. Very good for the action, tension, suspense, and story line. Expand
  9. Dec 31, 2013
    Not what I expected, but I am still very much satisfied. I had expected a fast paced thriller with action, but the movie is surprisingly dialogue heavy and thoughtful. Trust me, this is a good thing. The characters always have something interesting to say that makes you think. The performances are also fantastic.

Captain Phillips gets an 8.6/10
  10. Jan 22, 2014
    A very nice and interesting movie with good acting. I enjoyed it, it kept me interested and wanting more.
    Also the plot is very original and I haven't seen any similiar movie before. Recommended.
  11. Jan 11, 2014
    Definitely movie of the year 2013! Much better than Gravity. Based on the true story, cliffhanging and made just perfect. I haven't expected so outstanding and excellent movie before I have seen it. Must see!
  12. Jan 17, 2014
    This movie is great, the direction by Paul Greengrass is great, the actors playing the Somali pirates, are actually pretty darn good, and Tom Hanks gives one of his greatest performances ever, which is saying a lot. This is one of the best movies of the year.
  13. Jan 14, 2014
    Is just perfect ,Is interesting ,Is a wonderfull movie, good and professional actors.
    I so diferent butAs i said , Is just perfecte
    The best movie i see
    I love tris movie .
  14. Jan 25, 2014
    Going in knowing the outcome with a movie like this makes it hard for the story itself to build tension and suspense. Captain Phillips knows this and instead relies on a magnificent Oscar worthy performance by Hanks. He is both realistically credible and emotionally captivating throughout the film, especially in the final act. Barkhab Abdi also leads a good performance along with the supporting cast of Somalia pirates in displaying them as people with no where else to turn, forced into a mission doomed for failure. The film subtly hints at this but never lets it overshadow the emotional journey of Phillips. The direction and sound are all top notch but what really separates this movie from the pack is the outstanding performance by Hanks. Expand
  15. Jan 24, 2014
    ''An Absolute knockout!'' Explosively suspenseful, Brilliant,Powerful as you've heard. Tom Hanks is astounding. The Best performance of an actor on 2013. The highest order of acting definitely raises the bar of what true life action thriller could do. So let Captain Phillips give it to you! Captain Phillips should be on the stage on the Oscar night. Not just One of the Best Films of 2013, One of the Best Films of the decade. Expand
  16. Jan 27, 2014
    It was a surprise. Tom Hanks really is resurfacing his acting career. Although this movie didn't have much going on-as far as action and scene changing. The acting was phenomenal. Was I scared? No. But this movie raised a very serious and realistic question-pirates are for real. They don't have eye patches or hooks for hands, they have weapons. This is a real situation and Tom Hanks and all f his splendid crew worked with this movie. The part wasn't made for them, they made their part. Go see it. Expand
  17. Feb 23, 2014
    A lot of great things can be said for this movie like the script and Tom Hanks' performance is one of the best of his career but I will say the constantly shaky camera really took me out of it at times. I kept finding myself not focusing on the movie but on how irritating the shake was. I would understand if it was to give you the feeling of uneasiness being on the ocean and I certainly felt that way but it was just as shaky when everything was calm and they were on dry land. Now that was a pretty big problem for me but this movie is definetly worth a watch, especially if you're not bothered by shaky cam. Expand
  18. Apr 19, 2014
    Captain phillips was one of my favorite movies of 2013..this is type of movie that's breathtaking to watch especially since it was based on a true story of a U.S cargo ship that got hijacked from Somali pirates .tom hanks gives a great oscar role as captain Phillips . The actors who play the Somali pirates do a terrific job on there role ..the pacing is good ..and a great crazy ending to this story .overall great movie. ...91/100 Expand
  19. Mar 23, 2014
    Good acting in general, Hanks shows one more time his great skills in acting. Unnecessary long movie, Phillips begins like the hero of the day, then it becomes a military movie. At last, it finishes being one of the (not few) Pro-USA movies: "USA is goodness, any other country is evil". How many boats, soldiers, helicopters did they need to rescue a single person?... yeah right...
  20. Mar 7, 2014
    as if we all tom hanks was in saving mr banks which it sucked . tom hanks plays capatain philips an idiot captain who gets kidnaped by a piracy . but tom hanks was amazing in this role .
  21. Mar 2, 2014
    Very good movie except the shaking cam was out of control... got motion sick half way into the movie. Would of gave a 4 stars if the shaking was less.
  22. May 2, 2014
    A film full os suspense that will make your heart beat as fast as the sharp, intelligent movie goes on. A great performance by Tom Hanks and Barkhad Abdi, but there's still some slow unnecessary parts on the film with a shaky camera that makes this movie a bit longer than though.
  23. Jun 21, 2014
    Captain Phillips is one of the best movies of 2013, it's Hanks' best movie since The Terminal. Hanks has had a great year with Saving Mr.Banks and Captain Phillips, Greengrass once again gives us an amazing movie, it's so entertaining and exciting. First time actor Barkhad Abdi puts on a great villainous performance as the the Somali Pirate
  24. Mar 13, 2014
    A very good and entertaining movie from start to end. I like movies based on true events and this did not disappoint. Tom Hanks again displays his great ability in portraying Captain Phillips. Highly recommend this suspenseful thriller.
  25. Jul 25, 2014
    Captain Phillips es una película con un excelente sonido, además de las grandes actuaciones que contiene y su buena dirección hacen que el film sea una buena película.
  26. Jun 26, 2014
    Well then, this is another movie I was late with, similar to 12 Years a Slave. I rated 12 Years a Slave a 10 out of 10, and I was more than happy that I finally got to see that masterpiece. Was my opinion with Captain Phillips (CP) the same? No, but it was close. CP is based on a true story in which a cargo ship is captured by 4 pirates. These pirates aren't charming or likable ones like in Pirates of the Caribbean. This whole story happened about 5 years ago, too. These pirates are insanely cruel and they are also wonderfully acted by these brand new actors. Speaking of acting, everyone does an amazing job, and so does Tom Hanks as Captain Phillips himself. The movie is intense and it keeps you on the edge of your seat. If you think that the scene when the pirates board the ship is intense, you're in for a ride later on. Telling you that my favorite scene came from only a few sentences of dialogue should let you know that the writing and actual dialogue is beyond great, and it is. However, there are some scenes that if taken out, there would be no difference. Overall, it is beautifully shot. I say "overall" because later on when the setting's time changes to night the lighting just doesn't satisfy. Other movies can be wonderfully shot at night, but CP just didn't do this. CP is like a truly masterful painting. However, in that painting, it's like the artist accidentally just some spots of differently colored paint on it, yet everything else was perfect. That's how I found CP to be in my opinion. Expand
  27. Mar 25, 2014
    For a person who loves watching true story movies, this has to be one of my favorites and with the fantastic actor Tom Hanks, its definitely been made better.

This movie was definitely interesting and it hit me hard at the end and yes i admit that i did cry.
  28. Aug 14, 2014
    I know there's hundreds of movies with potential but this is one of my favorites. Captain Phillips is thrilling, emotionally resonant and intense even if you see from a computer monitor. This movie should get an award because for me, it's one of the best movies I ever seen!
  29. Jun 17, 2014
    Prior to watching this: No comment here.
    Review: Generally good story and acting all around. Unfortunately, the last act was rather long. Although I think it was trying to be true to the timing of the actual event, I think this part let the film down by losing its momentum.
  30. Aug 16, 2014
    I've got nothing on this film. Beautiful acting and wonderful orchestration. It really has you on the edge of your seat! It gives you a good perspective on why piracy exists.
    It's not what I usually put on, but I'm so grateful that I got to see this wonderful and breathtaking performance of Tom Hanks.

1. Reviewed by: Neil Smith
    Oct 21, 2013
    Squeezing every drop of tension from wet-ink recent history, Phillips only falters when making its protagonists mouthpieces in a broader geopolitical debate. Otherwise, it’s full steam ahead to the Oscars.
  2. Reviewed by: Kenneth Turan
    Oct 11, 2013
    The piercingly realistic Captain Phillips will exceed your expectations.
  3. Reviewed by: Peter Rainer
    Oct 11, 2013
    Greengrass is an expert hijacker, too. He hijacks our good sense.