8.1

1. Nov 22, 2013
    At times, you actually wish the movie didn't so such a good job of placing in Phillips' shoes, it's that tense when it's at its best! There are so many moments where you feel such sympathy for him being placed in such an unimaginably dire situation, and because of it, Hanks and all supporting actors make Captain Phillips a movie that's at times slow, but immensely touching and memorable.
  2. Nov 9, 2013
    Captain Phillips is based on a true story and in doing so it has created a story of its own. Simply spine chilling good, goose bump worthy and can captivate the most attention challenged person. Tom hanks tops an impressive career with a instant classic sure to be spoken about in the same breathe as godfather, braveheart and gladiator in years to come. The credits need to be greeted withCaptain Phillips is based on a true story and in doing so it has created a story of its own. Simply spine chilling good, goose bump worthy and can captivate the most attention challenged person. Tom hanks tops an impressive career with a instant classic sure to be spoken about in the same breathe as godfather, braveheart and gladiator in years to come. The credits need to be greeted with applause for a movie done so flawless, so relatable, and so perfect. My only complaint is there won't be a second. Congrats Tom put this feather next to Forrest Gump in that hat of yours. Expand
  3. Nov 15, 2013
    Captain Phillips is not a bad film whatsoever and if you like a story I recommend you watch it but there are two issues in the film that stand out. For instance the characters in the movie are not very memorable as you just don't feel a attachment to them but as for Tom Hanks he is far from bad and he can act but I've seen better and I just didn't feel any emotion for him during the entireCaptain Phillips is not a bad film whatsoever and if you like a story I recommend you watch it but there are two issues in the film that stand out. For instance the characters in the movie are not very memorable as you just don't feel a attachment to them but as for Tom Hanks he is far from bad and he can act but I've seen better and I just didn't feel any emotion for him during the entire film. Another issue that affects me and anybody who likes a fast paced movie now if you like a fast paced movie such as me you'll not like Captain Phillips as it starts off very slow and you don't see any action until 30-45 minutes into the film but if you can wait that long then you'll enjoy the rest of the film. Overall Captain Phillips is a enjoyable movie and worth your money and time. Expand
  4. Nov 16, 2013
    Directed, written and pictures are not the only advantages of the film. Delight also raises impersonator title role of Tom Hanks. I can not imagine the upcoming Oscar ceremony without his name on the list of nominees for the statue's role.
  5. Hum
    Nov 25, 2013
    I normally avoid Tom Hanks movies because they are so corny. Apparently someone kept the bosom buddy in check as the Hanksy melodrama was largely absent. I enjoyed this one!
  6. May 20, 2014
    Captain Phillips is brilliantly acted and incredibly tense. It features one of Tom Hanks' finest performances and Paul Greengrass at his best behind the camera.
  7. Nov 29, 2013
    I see any movie that Tom Hanks is in. This is a decent movie, but not among Tom's best. I found the locale off the shore of Somalia and in the Arabian nice.
  8. Dec 5, 2013
    The Best in the movie is that we have a true story, an amazing rescue of that captain, an astonishing acting performance by Tom Hanks which make the movie better, good choice of the somalis, a lot of suspense and one of 2013 top 10.
  9. Apr 5, 2014
    The only issue I really had with 'Captain Phillips' was the cinematography in the first half of the film and the chintzy way they "foreshadowed" events to viewer. Especially when based on real events, that is simply inexcusable. I never really got that feeling of tension or anxiety watching the film until the very end. Tom Hank's performance in the last 15 minutes of that film really hitThe only issue I really had with 'Captain Phillips' was the cinematography in the first half of the film and the chintzy way they "foreshadowed" events to viewer. Especially when based on real events, that is simply inexcusable. I never really got that feeling of tension or anxiety watching the film until the very end. Tom Hank's performance in the last 15 minutes of that film really hit home and was some of the best acting I have seen in a long time. Expand
  10. Jun 16, 2014
    I have but one word to comment on Tom Hanks' performance: Outstanding. Remark on Paul Greengrass' direction ? He deserves to win the Oscar Award for Best Director. They together brought a tense, thrilling story centering on a man's struggle with ruthless Somalian pirates to guarantee the sake of his crew as a captain's duty while at the same time saving his own life. A must-see blockbusterI have but one word to comment on Tom Hanks' performance: Outstanding. Remark on Paul Greengrass' direction ? He deserves to win the Oscar Award for Best Director. They together brought a tense, thrilling story centering on a man's struggle with ruthless Somalian pirates to guarantee the sake of his crew as a captain's duty while at the same time saving his own life. A must-see blockbuster that makes you unable to keep your eyes off the screen Expand
  11. Dec 28, 2013
    Greengrass' lends his signature documentary feel to the film, giving it a potent urgency that left me feeling more excited than truly emotionally invested. Tom Hanks, typically solid, saves some of the film's most powerful acting for the last few scenes.
  12. Mar 7, 2014
    Captain Phillips does a great job showing off Tom Hanks as a strong and cunning leader of the Maersk Alabama with a family back in the states. The film is very good for setting a nice plot with some unease and doubt they will make it past the Somalian coast without getting highjacked. Once the pirates attack the action doesn't stop. Still the movie does make you feel bad at the beginningCaptain Phillips does a great job showing off Tom Hanks as a strong and cunning leader of the Maersk Alabama with a family back in the states. The film is very good for setting a nice plot with some unease and doubt they will make it past the Somalian coast without getting highjacked. Once the pirates attack the action doesn't stop. Still the movie does make you feel bad at the beginning for these "poor fishermen" until you realize they chose their path in life. Very good for the action, tension, suspense, and story line. Expand
  13. Dec 31, 2013
    Not what I expected, but I am still very much satisfied. I had expected a fast paced thriller with action, but the movie is surprisingly dialogue heavy and thoughtful. Trust me, this is a good thing. The characters always have something interesting to say that makes you think. The performances are also fantastic.

Captain Phillips gets an 8.6/10
  14. Jan 31, 2015
    To be honest I did not have high expectations going in to watching Captain Phillips, nor did I have low ones. The movie never piqued my interest while it was in theatres and I had other films that seemed more interesting to watch instead. Captain Phillips turned out to be a very well made film, one that I am glad to have watched but even now one that I just can’t entirely connect to. WhileTo be honest I did not have high expectations going in to watching Captain Phillips, nor did I have low ones. The movie never piqued my interest while it was in theatres and I had other films that seemed more interesting to watch instead. Captain Phillips turned out to be a very well made film, one that I am glad to have watched but even now one that I just can’t entirely connect to. While Captain Phillips had wonderful performances from the protagonist, played by Tom Hanks and especially the films antagonist, played by Barkhad Abdi (who makes his acting debut in the film and does and astounding job) the film still feels hollow.
    Visually, Captain Phillips is stunning and by any industry standard the film is very impressive when it comes to cinematography and sound design. The musical score does its part too and the film has not trouble keep the viewer in a very engaging state of suspense. That being said, I was still never drawn into the film I believe can be explained by the plots focus on Tom Hanks’ character, the lack of character development in the crew members and the majority of the pirates and, most importantly, the short length of the back story and buildup. Captain Phillips is a two hour long movie that could have and should have been closer to three hours in length and it surprises me to say that the one extra hour of film would’ve made all the difference.
    Captain Phillips is a good film that is impressively suspenseful and visually stunning. The movie does a great job and explaining the danger that ships take traveling in that part of the world and adds a lot of humanity to the Somali pirates, which is something that I have not come across before. Unfortunately, while the film does a lot of things well, the story falls flat at times and feels bland. Captain Phillips was too short and concise and would have benefited from additional back-story and character development for the crew members of the cargo ship besides Tom Hanks’ portrayal of Cpt. Phillips. An impressive, but slightly disappointing, drama that should be seen at least once but may not leave as much of a lasting impression as one may hope.
  15. Jan 11, 2014
    Definitely movie of the year 2013! Much better than Gravity. Based on the true story, cliffhanging and made just perfect. I haven't expected so outstanding and excellent movie before I have seen it. Must see!
  16. Jan 17, 2014
    This movie is great, the direction by Paul Greengrass is great, the actors playing the Somali pirates, are actually pretty darn good, and Tom Hanks gives one of his greatest performances ever, which is saying a lot. This is one of the best movies of the year.
  17. Jan 14, 2014
    Is just perfect ,Is interesting ,Is a wonderfull movie, good and professional actors.
    I so diferent butAs i said , Is just perfecte
    The best movie i see
    I love tris movie .
  18. Jan 25, 2014
    Going in knowing the outcome with a movie like this makes it hard for the story itself to build tension and suspense. Captain Phillips knows this and instead relies on a magnificent Oscar worthy performance by Hanks. He is both realistically credible and emotionally captivating throughout the film, especially in the final act. Barkhab Abdi also leads a good performance along with theGoing in knowing the outcome with a movie like this makes it hard for the story itself to build tension and suspense. Captain Phillips knows this and instead relies on a magnificent Oscar worthy performance by Hanks. He is both realistically credible and emotionally captivating throughout the film, especially in the final act. Barkhab Abdi also leads a good performance along with the supporting cast of Somalia pirates in displaying them as people with no where else to turn, forced into a mission doomed for failure. The film subtly hints at this but never lets it overshadow the emotional journey of Phillips. The direction and sound are all top notch but what really separates this movie from the pack is the outstanding performance by Hanks. Expand
  19. Jan 24, 2014
    ''An Absolute knockout!'' Explosively suspenseful, Brilliant,Powerful as you've heard. Tom Hanks is astounding. The Best performance of an actor on 2013. The highest order of acting definitely raises the bar of what true life action thriller could do. So let Captain Phillips give it to you! Captain Phillips should be on the stage on the Oscar night. Not just One of the Best Films of 2013,''An Absolute knockout!'' Explosively suspenseful, Brilliant,Powerful as you've heard. Tom Hanks is astounding. The Best performance of an actor on 2013. The highest order of acting definitely raises the bar of what true life action thriller could do. So let Captain Phillips give it to you! Captain Phillips should be on the stage on the Oscar night. Not just One of the Best Films of 2013, One of the Best Films of the decade. Expand
  20. Jan 27, 2014
    It was a surprise. Tom Hanks really is resurfacing his acting career. Although this movie didn't have much going on-as far as action and scene changing. The acting was phenomenal. Was I scared? No. But this movie raised a very serious and realistic question-pirates are for real. They don't have eye patches or hooks for hands, they have weapons. This is a real situation and Tom Hanks andIt was a surprise. Tom Hanks really is resurfacing his acting career. Although this movie didn't have much going on-as far as action and scene changing. The acting was phenomenal. Was I scared? No. But this movie raised a very serious and realistic question-pirates are for real. They don't have eye patches or hooks for hands, they have weapons. This is a real situation and Tom Hanks and all f his splendid crew worked with this movie. The part wasn't made for them, they made their part. Go see it. Expand
  21. Feb 23, 2014
    A lot of great things can be said for this movie like the script and Tom Hanks' performance is one of the best of his career but I will say the constantly shaky camera really took me out of it at times. I kept finding myself not focusing on the movie but on how irritating the shake was. I would understand if it was to give you the feeling of uneasiness being on the ocean and I certainlyA lot of great things can be said for this movie like the script and Tom Hanks' performance is one of the best of his career but I will say the constantly shaky camera really took me out of it at times. I kept finding myself not focusing on the movie but on how irritating the shake was. I would understand if it was to give you the feeling of uneasiness being on the ocean and I certainly felt that way but it was just as shaky when everything was calm and they were on dry land. Now that was a pretty big problem for me but this movie is definetly worth a watch, especially if you're not bothered by shaky cam. Expand
  22. Apr 19, 2014
    Captain phillips was one of my favorite movies of 2013..this is type of movie that's breathtaking to watch especially since it was based on a true story of a U.S cargo ship that got hijacked from Somali pirates .tom hanks gives a great oscar role as captain Phillips . The actors who play the Somali pirates do a terrific job on there role ..the pacing is good ..and a great crazy ending toCaptain phillips was one of my favorite movies of 2013..this is type of movie that's breathtaking to watch especially since it was based on a true story of a U.S cargo ship that got hijacked from Somali pirates .tom hanks gives a great oscar role as captain Phillips . The actors who play the Somali pirates do a terrific job on there role ..the pacing is good ..and a great crazy ending to this story .overall great movie. ...91/100 Expand
  23. Mar 23, 2014
    Good acting in general, Hanks shows one more time his great skills in acting. Unnecessary long movie, Phillips begins like the hero of the day, then it becomes a military movie. At last, it finishes being one of the (not few) Pro-USA movies: "USA is goodness, any other country is evil". How many boats, soldiers, helicopters did they need to rescue a single person?... yeah right...
  24. Mar 7, 2014
    as if we all tom hanks was in saving mr banks which it sucked . tom hanks plays capatain philips an idiot captain who gets kidnaped by a piracy . but tom hanks was amazing in this role .
  25. Mar 2, 2014
    Very good movie except the shaking cam was out of control... got motion sick half way into the movie. Would of gave a 4 stars if the shaking was less.
  26. May 2, 2014
    A film full os suspense that will make your heart beat as fast as the sharp, intelligent movie goes on. A great performance by Tom Hanks and Barkhad Abdi, but there's still some slow unnecessary parts on the film with a shaky camera that makes this movie a bit longer than though.
  27. Jun 21, 2014
    Captain Phillips is one of the best movies of 2013, it's Hanks' best movie since The Terminal. Hanks has had a great year with Saving Mr.Banks and Captain Phillips, Greengrass once again gives us an amazing movie, it's so entertaining and exciting. First time actor Barkhad Abdi puts on a great villainous performance as the the Somali Pirate
  28. Mar 13, 2014
    A very good and entertaining movie from start to end. I like movies based on true events and this did not disappoint. Tom Hanks again displays his great ability in portraying Captain Phillips. Highly recommend this suspenseful thriller.
  29. Nov 23, 2014
    Captain Phillips es una película con un excelente sonido, además de las grandes actuaciones que contiene y su buena dirección hacen que el film sea una buena película.
  30. Jun 26, 2014
    Well then, this is another movie I was late with, similar to 12 Years a Slave. I rated 12 Years a Slave a 10 out of 10, and I was more than happy that I finally got to see that masterpiece. Was my opinion with Captain Phillips (CP) the same? No, but it was close. CP is based on a true story in which a cargo ship is captured by 4 pirates. These pirates aren't charming or likable ones likeWell then, this is another movie I was late with, similar to 12 Years a Slave. I rated 12 Years a Slave a 10 out of 10, and I was more than happy that I finally got to see that masterpiece. Was my opinion with Captain Phillips (CP) the same? No, but it was close. CP is based on a true story in which a cargo ship is captured by 4 pirates. These pirates aren't charming or likable ones like in Pirates of the Caribbean. This whole story happened about 5 years ago, too. These pirates are insanely cruel and they are also wonderfully acted by these brand new actors. Speaking of acting, everyone does an amazing job, and so does Tom Hanks as Captain Phillips himself. The movie is intense and it keeps you on the edge of your seat. If you think that the scene when the pirates board the ship is intense, you're in for a ride later on. Telling you that my favorite scene came from only a few sentences of dialogue should let you know that the writing and actual dialogue is beyond great, and it is. However, there are some scenes that if taken out, there would be no difference. Overall, it is beautifully shot. I say "overall" because later on when the setting's time changes to night the lighting just doesn't satisfy. Other movies can be wonderfully shot at night, but CP just didn't do this. CP is like a truly masterful painting. However, in that painting, it's like the artist accidentally just some spots of differently colored paint on it, yet everything else was perfect. That's how I found CP to be in my opinion. Expand
  31. Mar 25, 2014
    For a person who loves watching true story movies, this has to be one of my favorites and with the fantastic actor Tom Hanks, its definitely been made better.

This movie was definitely interesting and it hit me hard at the end and yes i admit that i did cry.
  32. Aug 14, 2014
    I know there's hundreds of movies with potential but this is one of my favorites. Captain Phillips is thrilling, emotionally resonant and intense even if you see from a computer monitor. This movie should get an award because for me, it's one of the best movies I ever seen!
  33. Jun 17, 2014
    Prior to watching this: No comment here.
    Review: Generally good story and acting all around. Unfortunately, the last act was rather long. Although I think it was trying to be true to the timing of the actual event, I think this part let the film down by losing its momentum.
  34. Nov 22, 2014
    Captain Phillips is an intense film based on a true story. I understand the best picture nomination for this one. Tom Hanks is back on his game with one of his best roles in recent memory. He was perfect for his role and its hard not to be emotional with him in the end.
  35. Feb 5, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Have Camera, Will Shake

Dear Mr. Greengrass, your signature style using a nervous camera and jarring edits from start to finish has become all too tired and cliché. Although you seem to have cornered the market on shooting in choppy environments (hijacked planes and ships), your MO is wonky and outdated. It once provided us with the illusion of edgy unpredictability but no longer substitutes for good story-telling and suspenseful drama. It was fun for a while but substance outlives style. Next time out, unpack the tripod, see if you can't restrain those spasms.

The docudrama appearance of the film is at odds with it's Hollywood makeover and spoiled by casting a movie star in the title role. We can actually believe those were real Somali pirates stalking the ship, barefoot in a motorboat with a machine gun, so what's Tom Hanks doing out there?

Which captain is more likely to be nominated for an Oscar and which one is more deserving, Tom Hanks, the extremely likable hard-luck chap, or Barkhad Abdi, the very convincing "skinny" Somalian in his first acting role? "Relax, everything's going to be okay, Mr. Phillips."

The story was initially framed from two opposing points of view. But for all the time we spend with the Captain and the pirates, we know very little about them. He's married. They are desperate. End of profile. This is why the endings of such undeveloped stories are abrupt and unsatisfying. The scrappy character development is ultimately why the movie needs illustrious old Tom Hanks and the indelible memory of his previous fictional characters. And, without question, a shaky camera.

Much of the dialogue was reduced to short outbursts of threats and fits of rage. The movie could have been released on Twitter. It rang rather empty when Hanks roared out they were not fishermen, since neither he or the audience knew much about them. Given his strategic thinking, you'd figure Phillips would have tried to sympathize with the attackers, get to know them, if only to weaken their resolve and possibly get them to turn against each other. Besides, isn't this what displaced main characters are meant to do? Be our eyes and ears in a narrative of conflict and discovery?

The Somalian Pirates fail to impress us as anything but deadly pests. Their crude onrush leaves me wondering why the most self-important nation on earth, so insanely obsessed and possessive about firearms, doesn't at least provide the old Cap with a pocket pistol for self-defence? Seriously, the only weapons provided for these gigantic container ships, so vital to a global economy, are water hoses?

Some of the more interesting facts and details seemed to either be swept aside or glossed over. The pirates, for all their maniacal posturing, did not kill anyone. Attacking them was like swatting a mosquito with a wrecking ball. The absurdity is evident but never appeared foolish as the filmmakers brazenly flaunted conventional American propaganda. Disproportionately heroic American might and justice was never questioned.(The cost of hiring a warship perhaps?)

The desperation of the pirates mission was touched upon: return with the ship and/or the captain or face certain death. But the resolve of the American naval SEAL to rescue a single individual using its highly skilled and lopsided military was never in doubt. Thus, staking its claim on the foolhardy impression that every individual American life is sacred (if your white, well-to-do and married) but never once hinted that it was likely for the optics alone. This is typically implied by showing TV news coverage of the hostage crisis back home, often from the protagonist's family room.

We were introduced to his wife in the first scene but never see her again. Actually, I don't mind this omission. The movie succeeds rather well keeping us in the moment with a tense, rigid, alert objective in lieu of a broader and richer perspective. I got the feeling something important was happening--but little else.
  36. Aug 16, 2014
    I've got nothing on this film. Beautiful acting and wonderful orchestration. It really has you on the edge of your seat! It gives you a good perspective on why piracy exists.
    It's not what I usually put on, but I'm so grateful that I got to see this wonderful and breathtaking performance of Tom Hanks.
  37. Sep 20, 2014
    Based on the true story from 2009 of a cargo ship captain being hijacked by pirates off the coast of Somalia, Captain Phillips is film full of suspense. Tom Hanks plays Captain Phillips as he prepares the best a person can prepare for the inevitability of pirates attempting to take his ship ransom.

Quickly the movie sets the foundation for Captain Phillips background, a captain who is doing a dangerous job, despite his wife’s wishes, because there would be a line of men willing. Simultaneously the foundation is set for the pirates, boat loads of Somali men volunteering to hijack a ship, because this is a somber reality of life with no true alternative for livelihood. The crew, Navy, and audience wait as Richard Phillips is put in the perilous position of negotiator and hostage. The pirates are never as brutal as they have to be and the American crew members are never as heroic as they need to be.

Hanks does a more than adequate job as a sympathizer to the pirates, trying to get everyone out of the situation intact and alive. This selfless and heroic character is probably not accurate to the real Captain Phillips persona, but necessary as a counter view to the pirates’ story. I found myself identifying with the pirates, hoping they would have some sense, despite knowing the end to the story. This is thanks in part to the main Somali pirate, Muse, played by Barkhad Abdi. I am thankful he has received as many accolades as he has, though not a trained actor, he turns out a multi-layered character under tragic circumstances.

This movie easily could have been a one-sided telling of the brutalities of the pirates, instead you get a multidimensional story that is more about the current effects of globalization than the thrilling encounter.

More reviews of recent releases can be found at our website.
  38. Jun 5, 2015
    I didn't know the true story of Richard Phillips when I went to see it, so naturally I was hesitant. But man was it worth it (and then some), it was the most intense movie I have ever scene, I couldn't even eat my popcorn i was so on edge. Tom Hanks gave a magnificent performance, maybe trumping his impeckable performance in Forrest Gump. Ecspecially in one scene, any one who has scene theI didn't know the true story of Richard Phillips when I went to see it, so naturally I was hesitant. But man was it worth it (and then some), it was the most intense movie I have ever scene, I couldn't even eat my popcorn i was so on edge. Tom Hanks gave a magnificent performance, maybe trumping his impeckable performance in Forrest Gump. Ecspecially in one scene, any one who has scene the movie will know what I mean, and anyone who hasn't are in for a treat. Simply put...SPECTACULAR!!!!!!!! Expand
  39. Dec 21, 2014
    Captain Philips Is an outstanding film.It is stunning and well portrayed.Tom Hanks Is Back and once again did a great job in this movie! Captain Philips has it's own flaws but hey it's still fantastic and deserves a big Medal or award and a thumbs up!
  40. Mar 29, 2015
    Based on a true encounter in 2009, this ship apparently had a few encounters with pirates which were averted after the advent of armed security aboard these commercial vessels.

Hanks (as usual) does a brilliant job as the stern captain with a heart. Without giving too much away, this film will leave you on the edge of your seat for the majority of the film with the last 30% so action packed youll be screaming at the TV. The human aspect of two sides is also very well done.

A long time since I watched a film like this.
  41. Mar 17, 2015
    Tom Hanks stars in Paul Greengrass' thriller based on a true story called 'Captain Phillips' which tells the story of a man named Captain Richard Phillips whose ship is under attack from Somalian pirates.

This is a well-made, fast paced and intense thriller that keeps you on the edge of your seat the entire time, and Tom Hanks gives one of the best performances in his career since his last Oscar nominated work in 'Cast Away' (2000) or 'Road to Perdition' (2002).

The real star of the show though is Barkhad Abdi, who plays the lead pirate named Muse, and he did receive the "Best Supporting Actor" nomination at the Oscars. He teases Richard an awful lot and comes across as demanding, if not, sadistic, most of the times. He takes over the ship and treats Captain Phillips as his slave and plans to kidnap him.

The way this film moves is fascinating and it is one of the best biopic thrillers I've ever experienced at the cinema, it's actually my number 1 movie of 2013. Many people would vote 'Gravity' or '12 Years A Slave' and while they are great films in their own right, I choose 'Captain Phillips', I did not know what to expect before watching a movie based on a story I haven't heard of, but I did not expect to feel this tense.
  42. Jun 30, 2015
    Captain Phillips is a fantastic movie with all those action scenes and drama line of the movie. The result is a movie that is not boring nor overproduced and you can't disregard that awesome performance of Hanks

1. Reviewed by: Neil Smith
    Oct 21, 2013
    Squeezing every drop of tension from wet-ink recent history, Phillips only falters when making its protagonists mouthpieces in a broader geopolitical debate. Otherwise, it’s full steam ahead to the Oscars.
  2. Reviewed by: Kenneth Turan
    Oct 11, 2013
    The piercingly realistic Captain Phillips will exceed your expectations.
  3. Reviewed by: Peter Rainer
    Oct 11, 2013
    Greengrass is an expert hijacker, too. He hijacks our good sense.