8.2

1. Dec 3, 2013
    Bravo! Hanks is back and in fine form, as usual the man put me to sleep in about 5 minutes. Only problem is Julia Roberts is nowhere to be seen, if she was in it I would have been asleep before the opening credits finished. Hanks deserve a lifetime award of some sort for being the most bland boring man in Hollowood.
  2. Nov 30, 2013
    someone great said this movie is full of pro US propaganda and crap and if they havent yet they should as this is exactly what it feels like when watching this film. Its main characters from scene to scene dash from coward to stone cold hero personalities, every US person in the film is positive and all Somalis are portrait like village people who just climbed down from banana trees.
  3. Oct 27, 2013
    This is a well-made film! Although based on an actual event, there is no doubt in my mind that the embellishments of the story make it so much more theatrical.Yes, I know that that is the nature of a film based on fact. In other words, don't expect reality in a true-based event. However, for some reason, this did not connect with me. Tom is fine as are the cast but this is not anything that I would want to see again, ever and I found it grueling to see it once. Actually, I'm glad that I went to it and now see that most who saw it do not agree with my perspective. Obviously, my standards for a film of this nature are quite different. Perhaps the fact that I drifted off after about 10 minutes for about 15 minutes and then watched the rest of the film colours my perspective? C' est la vie! Expand
  4. Oct 18, 2013
    The well was poisoned for me. 1. Capt Phillips story is totally fabricated by Hollywood. The crew hated him and have filed lawsuits against the movie's story. To please his bosses Phillips ventured to within 250 miles of the coast even though he had incessant advance warnings to stay beyond 600 miles! 2. Helpless non-armed million dollar ships deserve whatever they get if they don't arm themselves in any way and choose to cower like scared church mice in a dark corner when danger threatens. Phillips fired flares at the approaching pirates. No, not joking, that's how pathetic this is. Only thing acceptable about the movie were the production values and Tom Hanks' actual performance as fantastically made up as it was. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Neil Smith
    Oct 21, 2013
    Squeezing every drop of tension from wet-ink recent history, Phillips only falters when making its protagonists mouthpieces in a broader geopolitical debate. Otherwise, it’s full steam ahead to the Oscars.
  2. Reviewed by: Kenneth Turan
    Oct 11, 2013
    The piercingly realistic Captain Phillips will exceed your expectations.
  3. Reviewed by: Peter Rainer
    Oct 11, 2013
    Greengrass is an expert hijacker, too. He hijacks our good sense.