8.1

1. Oct 11, 2013
    According to Richard Phillips' "A Captain Duty: Somali Pirates, Navy SEALS, And Dangerous Days At Sea," he tells his true story about a brave commander was kidnapped by pirates. Director, Paul Greengrass (The Bourne Supremacy, The Bourne Ultimatum, and United 93) adapts Mr. Phillips' latest feature "Captain Phillips" about a naval officer who has been hijacked by four Somali pirates in aAccording to Richard Phillips' "A Captain Duty: Somali Pirates, Navy SEALS, And Dangerous Days At Sea," he tells his true story about a brave commander was kidnapped by pirates. Director, Paul Greengrass (The Bourne Supremacy, The Bourne Ultimatum, and United 93) adapts Mr. Phillips' latest feature "Captain Phillips" about a naval officer who has been hijacked by four Somali pirates in a MV Maersk Alabama in 2009. Tom Hanks delivers a great performance who plays a strong captain and he acts very well to become a lost tragic person who was caught up by those nasty pirates. Mr. Greengrass had done very well to make a realistic event with great suspense, very chilling, and tense of seriousness. This movie is unbelievable with terrific story, wonderful performances, and fascinate moments. I definitely enjoy watching "Captain Phillips" a strong commander who held hostage by Somali pirates and it's a marvelous film. Expand
  2. Oct 16, 2013
    I saw Captain Phillips in a packed theater during Sneak Preview week. Let me start by saying the movie is outstanding. But many of you are reporting this based on a true story? It depends on your definition of the truth? The NY Post has reported, that 11 of his crew sued the ship company. They blamed Captain Phillips for putting them in harms way and described him as aloof, not inI saw Captain Phillips in a packed theater during Sneak Preview week. Let me start by saying the movie is outstanding. But many of you are reporting this based on a true story? It depends on your definition of the truth? The NY Post has reported, that 11 of his crew sued the ship company. They blamed Captain Phillips for putting them in harms way and described him as aloof, not in touch with reality, and not a good Captain. So Hollywood gave us their spin which sounds much better just to sell tickets. If you can accept that the truth lies somewhere in between, then this is a very good film; albeit, truthful or fiction. The accolades this film has been receiving are richly deserved. Tom Hanks gives yet another outstanding performance. Even when Tom has nothing to say his acting chops are so brilliant, that his facial expression, says it all. Just about everyone sat on their edge of their seat as the tension during the hostage crisis is so thick, you can literally cut it with a knife. It's the last 15 minutes of this flick when Tom shows his best acting as he releases all the emotions the real Captain Phillips must have felt. Without question, Mr. Hanks will be nominated for another Oscar. This is a must see movie for 2013. Enjoy Expand
  3. Jan 13, 2014
    Captain Phillips is a flawless and intense drama that ratchets up the tension with every passing minute. Tom Hanks delivers a career-best performance as the wily and quick-thinking everyman who does his best before cracking under the pressure. The Somali pirates are also treated fairly and their motivation is convincing. 5/5, a must-see movie.
  4. Dec 2, 2013
    Captain Phillips takes you into the emotional breakdown, playing well with the stress of a wonderful script, Tom Hanks deserves Oscar nomination for this role, you should also consider sound, editing, photography, script, editing, direction, and without doubt award for best film.
  5. Nov 25, 2013
    Ripping yarn and not the first time a sailor has "remembered things a bit more heroically" than they actually happened. Barkhad Abdi nearly steals the show as well as the ship... with a great performance.
  6. Oct 12, 2013
    Finally a good movie and maybe the best of 2013. Tom Hanks deserves an Oscar. The rest of the cast was excellent also. It's a must see movie if you love suspence.
  7. Jan 14, 2014
    One of the greatest amazing acting films of the year is Captain Phillips. With amazing acting by Tom Hanks and newcomer Barkhad Abdi this film is gut wrenching and an amazing film to watch.
  8. Jun 7, 2014
    Great movie! Captain Phillips kept my interest the whole time.This is a must see movie.It feels short even though it`s not, cause you just lose a track of time trying to see what happens next.
  9. Oct 31, 2013
    Emotions run high in this piracy adventure which is gripping from beginning to end. It is also a much better film than the trailer marketing it suggests. I have always been rather irritated by the Tom Hanks' movie star persona, all saccharine and beaming smiles, and his choice of films are invariably of a very conventional or commercial nature (or both!) adding weight to one's off screenEmotions run high in this piracy adventure which is gripping from beginning to end. It is also a much better film than the trailer marketing it suggests. I have always been rather irritated by the Tom Hanks' movie star persona, all saccharine and beaming smiles, and his choice of films are invariably of a very conventional or commercial nature (or both!) adding weight to one's off screen impression of him. In his roles, though, he is usually totally believable and rarely gives a bad performance. His Captain Phillips must rank as one of his best. For the most part it is understated and, unusually for a Hanks turn, he blends in to the ensemble rather than standing out as the obvious star.
    Director Paul Greengrass keeps the action up close for the most part creating an atmosphere of claustrophobic desperation. He is aided no end by some stunning hand held camera shots with positioning and angles that truly add to the tension. Even when scenes are in darkness or low light the events happening on screen are clearly depicted, unlike in similar situations in many films where you just don't know what's going on because the cinematography is so poor. The editing too is just dazzlingly brilliant and provides the movie with its rapid heart beat.

The screenplay raises issues on the age of the hijackers and the fac that these 'terrorists' are in fact fishermen who have had to resort to piracy due to the fact that the western world have over fished the seas. However, it counter balances this particular comment by having Tom Hanks' character state at one point 'You're not a fisherman!' when one of the hijackers violently holds a gun to his forehead. The screenplay may have wanted to appear balanced but I personally know which side I'm on. In the end it is the responsibility of individual governments to combat piracy. As they say prevention is better than cure. It is incredible to me that governments will do anything in any other situation to prevent acts of terrorism these days. However, in this known problematic area where the evil flourishes man made laws, I believe, don't allow ships to have the proper security and weaponry to defend themselves against such acts. This is not only costly in all ways, but demonstrates stupidity in an extreme form. Stupidity that should be curtailed now!
  10. Oct 11, 2013
    Captain Philips keeps you on the edge of your seat! You think it's intense when the pirates board the ship, but it takes you to a whole new level later on. I could not look away for a second. Tom Hanks delivers a breathtaking performance worthy of an Oscar nomination and possibly an Oscar. One of the best films I've seen this year. Captain Philips will make you rethink your ratings forCaptain Philips keeps you on the edge of your seat! You think it's intense when the pirates board the ship, but it takes you to a whole new level later on. I could not look away for a second. Tom Hanks delivers a breathtaking performance worthy of an Oscar nomination and possibly an Oscar. One of the best films I've seen this year. Captain Philips will make you rethink your ratings for other movies! Expand
  11. Jul 20, 2014
    Outstanding acting! This movie is just must watch for everyone! Based on a true story, it delivers so much pain and pressure that it was hard to believe that this was just a movie! 10/10 For this masterpiece!
  12. Oct 13, 2013
    This movie is a Paul Greengrass classic! It's an outstanding movie with fantastic acting, especially Tom Hanks. I haven't seen him this good in such a long time. The thrills are there and the adventure based on the true story is unbelievable. This is worth learning about. Overall, it's another Paul Greengrass hit. Be sure to check out my YouTube channel "TheMovieManLife" for all things movies.
  13. Oct 18, 2013
    Finally, a truly great movie with perhaps "The Prisoner" the only other drama worth seeing in a year of stunning failures. "Captain Phillips" is brilliant, and based on a true story I remember from 2009. Of course, Tom Hanks is the catalyst here, and once again shows the movie world why he is the greatest living actor today, although Joseph Gordon-Levitt will be a major force toFinally, a truly great movie with perhaps "The Prisoner" the only other drama worth seeing in a year of stunning failures. "Captain Phillips" is brilliant, and based on a true story I remember from 2009. Of course, Tom Hanks is the catalyst here, and once again shows the movie world why he is the greatest living actor today, although Joseph Gordon-Levitt will be a major force to reckon with if he isn't already, and the great Jennifer Lawrence, probably the best actress out there, will be out in the "Hunger Games" sequel "Catching Fire" and a new movie with Bradley Cooper later.
    The key to Hanks' greatness is his believability. Regardless of his role, he can assimilate anything, making us really think he is what his role says he is. Nobody could possibly have pulled off "Forrest Gump" or "Saving Private Ryan" except him. Now, as a captain of a cargo vessel bound from Oman to Somalia, his ship is taken over by a bunch of unbelievably scraggly pirates, who all deserve praise for their authentic portrayals as well.
    I must ask is the lead pirate called "Mule" an authentic Somalian who Hollywood rescued for this role? If not, it's shocking how well they did making him especially gruesome and emaciated, almost making the viewer understand how starvation and the brutal regimes controlling that part of the world force people into desperate situations.
    Without giving up the plot, which is predictable because it was a well covered news story, we see the workings of a cargo ship, the Navy SEALS and the plight of Phillips with alarming accuracy and not a shred of doubt.
    It is my favorite movie of the year, and perhaps the most moving part is at the end of the film, with Phillips safely in sick bay, and suffering the hysteria of the ordeal as a Navy Corpswoman looks him over. No silly ass tough guy theatrics here his reaction is just what normal people would do, not make lame jokes like a Mark Wahlberg film. In that briefest of times, Hanks puts himself in the top running for an Oscar, and makes you almost cry. All hail Tom Hanks and the crew who put this masterpiece together.
  14. Nov 16, 2013
    Many critics described this film as the Argo this year (only without the same opportunities for prizes) in my my opinion he is the closest Zero Dark Third, being a real story treated extremely realistic (striking merits Career Paul G.) at first he tries to highlight all forms of the discrepancy of the two worlds, that of the captain and crew, who have their homes comfortaveis and enoughMany critics described this film as the Argo this year (only without the same opportunities for prizes) in my my opinion he is the closest Zero Dark Third, being a real story treated extremely realistic (striking merits Career Paul G.) at first he tries to highlight all forms of the discrepancy of the two worlds, that of the captain and crew, who have their homes comfortaveis and enough food, and the pirates who sleep on the hard ground and wear clothes insignificant, the performances all of them are very good because they do not speak much but make many facial expressions and gestures, logically Tom H. steals but that only happens in the final 15 minutes, because the script helps, after the end we get the latent print that the great leaders never give evil in his works but his underlings certainly a film that will be fighting seriously by awards. Expand
  15. Oct 11, 2013
    The most intense, atmospheric movie of 2013 so far (year I've seen Gravity and Prisoners). This is an outstanding adaptation of real story with top notch acting and great directing. "Captain Phillips" shoul be nominated for Best Picture at Oscar's, Tom Hanks should be nominated for Best Lead Actor
  16. Dec 17, 2013
    2 words: Tom Hanks. No one could have played this part any better. This true story shows how captain Phillips risks everything to protect his ship and his crew. The ending is one of the bests I've ever seen. If this isn't nominated for Best Picture at the Oscars then I will be upset
  17. Feb 3, 2014
    本片的那种贯穿始终的惊险刺激恐怖只有亲自看过才能真正体验,Tom Hanks影帝级表演,几位海盗的演出也很出色。
  18. Oct 11, 2013
    People will be talking about Tom Hanks' masterpiece for a long time!!! Absolutely stunning and well acted. A thriller that will never be forgotten!!! Awesome!!!
  19. Oct 14, 2013
    Captain Phillips is an astounding biopic that is executed with delicate precision to show the true human side of every character involved in the film, evoking pathos, joy and numerous other thoughts and emotions as the tension is expertly built throughout the film. Without a doubt, this is one of Tom Hanks's best performances of his entire career.
  20. Nov 17, 2013
    Not only is this one of the best movies of 2013, this is one of the best movies Tom Hanks has starred in in a long time. The commercials lead you to believe that the ship takeover is the majority of the movie, but it gets much better after that.
  21. Nov 2, 2013
    Captain Phillips is a riveting, gripping, edge-of-your-seat thriller that doesn't let up on any level of suspense or emotion. Tom Hanks delivers one of his best performances in recent years, maybe ever, and definitely deserves an Oscar nod for it. The Somali pirates don't have a long filmography, but still delivered realistic and accurate performances. If you think what you've seen all ofCaptain Phillips is a riveting, gripping, edge-of-your-seat thriller that doesn't let up on any level of suspense or emotion. Tom Hanks delivers one of his best performances in recent years, maybe ever, and definitely deserves an Oscar nod for it. The Somali pirates don't have a long filmography, but still delivered realistic and accurate performances. If you think what you've seen all of the what the movie has to offer in the trailers, you've got another thing coming. One of the best films of the year. Expand
  22. Oct 11, 2013
    It's a funny and great movie. the best is that i was happy when i looked at it! Like when i was siting and looking at it in the cinema. i eated popcorn!
  23. Oct 11, 2013
  24. Oct 12, 2013
    One of the best of the year with great performance by Tom Hanks, particularly the last few minutes of the film, and by the Somolian actor who played "muse." The technical details of a large cargo ship, the work of the Navy, including the Seals, and the rescue operations were well and realistically done. A few critics complained about the opening 5 minutes when Hanks leaves his VermontOne of the best of the year with great performance by Tom Hanks, particularly the last few minutes of the film, and by the Somolian actor who played "muse." The technical details of a large cargo ship, the work of the Navy, including the Seals, and the rescue operations were well and realistically done. A few critics complained about the opening 5 minutes when Hanks leaves his Vermont home and with wife goes to board his ship. This small bit added nicely to the film, rather than detracted. Expand
  25. Nov 6, 2013
    This really is the best movie of the year. The acting from all the characters is on top and the Somali pirates are absolutely incredible. Even though most people know what happens to Captain Phillips due to it being a true story, I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. This is a theater experience not because of visuals but because of how amazing this film really is.
  26. Nov 9, 2013
    Captain Phillips is based on a true story and in doing so it has created a story of its own. Simply spine chilling good, goose bump worthy and can captivate the most attention challenged person. Tom hanks tops an impressive career with a instant classic sure to be spoken about in the same breathe as godfather, braveheart and gladiator in years to come. The credits need to be greeted withCaptain Phillips is based on a true story and in doing so it has created a story of its own. Simply spine chilling good, goose bump worthy and can captivate the most attention challenged person. Tom hanks tops an impressive career with a instant classic sure to be spoken about in the same breathe as godfather, braveheart and gladiator in years to come. The credits need to be greeted with applause for a movie done so flawless, so relatable, and so perfect. My only complaint is there won't be a second. Congrats Tom put this feather next to Forrest Gump in that hat of yours. Expand
  27. May 20, 2014
    Captain Phillips is brilliantly acted and incredibly tense. It features one of Tom Hanks' finest performances and Paul Greengrass at his best behind the camera.
  28. Nov 29, 2013
    For the first time in a while, I completely forgot I was in the cinema while watching this. An immersing plot that keeps you on the edge of your seat with a faultless performance from Hanks.
  29. Jun 16, 2014
    I have but one word to comment on Tom Hanks' performance: Outstanding. Remark on Paul Greengrass' direction ? He deserves to win the Oscar Award for Best Director. They together brought a tense, thrilling story centering on a man's struggle with ruthless Somalian pirates to guarantee the sake of his crew as a captain's duty while at the same time saving his own life. A must-see blockbusterI have but one word to comment on Tom Hanks' performance: Outstanding. Remark on Paul Greengrass' direction ? He deserves to win the Oscar Award for Best Director. They together brought a tense, thrilling story centering on a man's struggle with ruthless Somalian pirates to guarantee the sake of his crew as a captain's duty while at the same time saving his own life. A must-see blockbuster that makes you unable to keep your eyes off the screen Expand
  30. Jan 11, 2014
    Definitely movie of the year 2013! Much better than Gravity. Based on the true story, cliffhanging and made just perfect. I haven't expected so outstanding and excellent movie before I have seen it. Must see!
  31. Jan 14, 2014
    Is just perfect ,Is interesting ,Is a wonderfull movie, good and professional actors.
    I so diferent butAs i said , Is just perfecte
    The best movie i see
    I love tris movie .
  32. Mar 25, 2014
    For a person who loves watching true story movies, this has to be one of my favorites and with the fantastic actor Tom Hanks, its definitely been made better.

This movie was definitely interesting and it hit me hard at the end and yes i admit that i did cry.
  33. Aug 14, 2014
    I know there's hundreds of movies with potential but this is one of my favorites. Captain Phillips is thrilling, emotionally resonant and intense even if you see from a computer monitor. This movie should get an award because for me, it's one of the best movies I ever seen!
  34. Nov 10, 2014
  35. Aug 16, 2014
    I've got nothing on this film. Beautiful acting and wonderful orchestration. It really has you on the edge of your seat! It gives you a good perspective on why piracy exists.
    It's not what I usually put on, but I'm so grateful that I got to see this wonderful and breathtaking performance of Tom Hanks.
  36. Mar 17, 2015
    Tom Hanks stars in Paul Greengrass' thriller based on a true story called 'Captain Phillips' which tells the story of a man named Captain Richard Phillips whose ship is under attack from Somalian pirates.

This is a well-made, fast paced and intense thriller that keeps you on the edge of your seat the entire time, and Tom Hanks gives one of the best performances in his career since his last Oscar nominated work in 'Cast Away' (2000) or 'Road to Perdition' (2002).

The real star of the show though is Barkhad Abdi, who plays the lead pirate named Muse, and he did receive the "Best Supporting Actor" nomination at the Oscars. He teases Richard an awful lot and comes across as demanding, if not, sadistic, most of the times. He takes over the ship and treats Captain Phillips as his slave and plans to kidnap him.

The way this film moves is fascinating and it is one of the best biopic thrillers I've ever experienced at the cinema, it's actually my number 1 movie of 2013. Many people would vote 'Gravity' or '12 Years A Slave' and while they are great films in their own right, I choose 'Captain Phillips', I did not know what to expect before watching a movie based on a story I haven't heard of, but I did not expect to feel this tense.
  37. Oct 12, 2013
    “Captain Phillips” is the true story of Captain Richard Phillips and his cargo ship Maersk Alabama which, in 2009, became the first American cargo ship to be hijacked by pirates in over 200 years. The film stars Tom Hanks in the title role with Barkhad Abdi and Barkhard Addirahman playing 2 of the 4 Somalian pirates. Written by Billy Ray and based on the book by the Captain,, this is an“Captain Phillips” is the true story of Captain Richard Phillips and his cargo ship Maersk Alabama which, in 2009, became the first American cargo ship to be hijacked by pirates in over 200 years. The film stars Tom Hanks in the title role with Barkhad Abdi and Barkhard Addirahman playing 2 of the 4 Somalian pirates. Written by Billy Ray and based on the book by the Captain,, this is an intense, armchair gripping story of one man’s drive and ability to deal with his captors while at the same time seeking to protect his crew and his ship. Tom Hanks was never better and he proves here, as he has done so many times in the past,, that he is a versatile and extremely talented actor. This is action and drama at its best and rightfully deserves a 9.. 134 minutes of viewing time was never better spent. Expand
  38. Jun 3, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Not for nothing are Americans accused of being "isolationists", men and women who willfully choose to live out of context with a world they deem insignificant and beside the point. Even in this post-9/11 era, stubbornly, Americans still believe they can live in a bubble, despite the pop heard around the world. Captain Phillips, however, serves as a sort of reorientation to the lessons we learned, albeit briefly, and then forgot, in regard to our blow-by-blow synchronous apposition with other nations as always having been a persistent reality, independent of public cognizance or lack thereof. Days after Islamic fundamentalists irrevocably transformed the Manhattan landscape, we asked ourselves aloud, "Why do they hate us?" The short answer: colonialism. And our collective forgetting. A film such as The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou makes no apologies, or even, mention, about our bloody past. In the 2003 Wes Anderson film, the pirates who attack the Belafonte are Filipino, marauders with a century-old grievance, but because the narrative is ideologically naive, the specificity of their ethnicity is treated as a post-colonial joke. The fact that the American occupation set the Philippine Islands on a path towards catastrophic poverty, in which over 200,000 natives died(mostly from cholera) is not important. Nobody mourns the murdered southeastern pirate that Zissou guns down. The captain's revenge against the jaguar shark takes precedence over the more justifiable revenge. Interestingly enough, genre differences aside, the Danish import, A Hijacking, like the Anderson film, also sees the pirates purely as villains. We either laugh at them, or hate them, but we never understand these Third World ruffians.That's not fair. That's not telling the whole story. Captain Phillips, on the other hand, to its credit, shows both sides. At the outset, the filmmaker juxtaposes Muse's struggle for survival in arid Somalia with the captain's whiny middle-class Boston angst. The pirates, for some, become less villains than anti-heroes. According to Muse, the hijacking is just business, differentiating his organization's agenda from Al-Qaeda, when he first threatens Phillips at gunpoint. Muslim or no Muslim, it makes no difference. He doesn't understand that many Americans, even a decent man such as Richard Phillips, see dark-skinned foreigners as one monolithic race, especially to the navy that kills them all. Muse is simply the "other", not Somalian. Because thirteen years after the World Trade Center came crumbling down, reduced to rubble by Taliban anti-pilots, many people still live in a vacuum, still possess a blind faith towards our government, who propagandizes the very nature of its tyrannical foreign policy with doublespeak sugarcoating, using catchwords such as "liberation" and "freedom". Very subtly, the filmmaker evokes the history of Africa's colonization, in which Captain Phillips, presides over a map of the "dark continent"; his hands draped over the shipping route, connoting a sense of entitlement, as the co-captain plots their course from Salalah to the Somali Basin. Unilateral to the main narrative, through its subtext, the film concedes that Muse's people, as well as the whole world, have a case to express their anger with militant force against the United States. Ironically, like the Filipino restaurant workers gathered around the kitchen television, learning about the international currency that Zissou stores away on-board his ship, the Somalian pirates too are only thinking about the money, not the historical circumstances that landed them in the third world ghetto. But in the lifeboat, Muse's cohort, Bilal, despite his limited grasp of the English language, senses the captain's arrogance, as America's colonial past rolls off Phillips' tongue, when he tells Muse how Somalian waters are "international waters", which is analogous to saying that Liberia, albeit populated with Liberians, once belonged to the United States, who colonized the West African country in the 19th century. Phillips is silent, indifferent to the pirate's remonstrative explanation that "the big ships" leave nothing left for them to fish. Whereas the filmmaker understands that the pirate attack on a cargo vessel like the Maersk serves as a last resort to stave off poverty, the captain, as well as the audience, disregards the underlying causes of the conflict at hand."You're not a fisherman," hisses Phillips, when Muse points a gun at his temple. He, alas, forgets that his country plays a hand in hurting the local economy. Once again, the U.S. plays the innocent victim. As if 9/11 never happened, the captain, with appalling ignorance, ask Muse, "There's got to be something other than being a fisherman and kidnapping people?" Maybe, in the final scene, the captain recognizes that the collateral blood on him isn't merely literal. After all, there are no heroes in Captain Phillips. Expand
  39. Feb 27, 2014
    Captain Phillips is a nailbiter, and the action begins fairly quickly. Tom Hanks is good throughout, although his accent was unrealistic at times. The movie feels real and people react like you would expect them to. There are a couple of scenes that bothered me that didn't ring true, but overall a solid film.
  40. Dec 22, 2013
    Tom Hanks single-handedly pulled off a realistic and touching real-life story. Such rescue operations is simply flirting with death. One missed shot from the snipers and your hostage's dead. I hope there'll be more security forces in the waters and in the air protecting our merchant ships from pirates. This will prevent exhausting, resource-wasting and life-threatening situations as inTom Hanks single-handedly pulled off a realistic and touching real-life story. Such rescue operations is simply flirting with death. One missed shot from the snipers and your hostage's dead. I hope there'll be more security forces in the waters and in the air protecting our merchant ships from pirates. This will prevent exhausting, resource-wasting and life-threatening situations as in Captain Phillips. I cried watching the shock portrayed by Tom Hanks at the end of the movie. Expand
  41. Mar 18, 2014
    It starts off incredibly slow, but when things pick up shortly later the movie does not let up. It is constantly one of the most intense movies I have ever seen. I was always on the edge of my seat and constantly unsure of how things would turn out next. Tom Hanks is amazing here, but honestly it's Tom Hanks so that's what you would expect of him. The rest of the cast is also astounding.It starts off incredibly slow, but when things pick up shortly later the movie does not let up. It is constantly one of the most intense movies I have ever seen. I was always on the edge of my seat and constantly unsure of how things would turn out next. Tom Hanks is amazing here, but honestly it's Tom Hanks so that's what you would expect of him. The rest of the cast is also astounding. Just the way the main villain is interpreted made me feel sort of sorry for him. The movie feels real and human, which is made extra important because this is based off of a true story. This is an absolutely amazing movie and one that I HIGHLY recommend you watch ASAP. I give it a score of 9/10-Amazing. Expand
  42. Nov 5, 2013
    Excellent entertainment. Perfect acting from captain Philips (Tom Hanks) and the four pirates (Barkhad Abdi, Barkhad Abdirahman, Faysal Ahmed, and Mahout Ali), who appeared to be real pirates. Well crafted scenario, calculated talking, well taken shots, interpretive locations, indoor and outdoor, fast pace, tiring rhythm. Captain Philips, a family man, was taken hostage after a failingExcellent entertainment. Perfect acting from captain Philips (Tom Hanks) and the four pirates (Barkhad Abdi, Barkhad Abdirahman, Faysal Ahmed, and Mahout Ali), who appeared to be real pirates. Well crafted scenario, calculated talking, well taken shots, interpretive locations, indoor and outdoor, fast pace, tiring rhythm. Captain Philips, a family man, was taken hostage after a failing attempt to kidnap a Maersk cargo ship. Four pirates are looking for a kidnaping reward, the ship crew and their captain Philips were trained for such ordeal, they did manage to overcome the kidnappers who had one choice left, escape in the life boat with captain Philips taken captive. The US navy and navy seals put an end to this breathtaking movie, they free captain Philips, kill three pirates and capture their leader. Expand
  43. Oct 13, 2013
    This movie was both entertaining and thought provoking. My family was talking about it well after the movie was over and that is almost always a sign it was very good. Even the most critical eye theoretically would call this movie good or very good. The few going negative on it either didn't actually see it or might be trolling.
  44. Oct 25, 2013
    Captain Phillips is an absolute must see film! A stellar performance by the acting god that is Tom Hanks under the direction of the ever dependable Paul Greengrass makes for a highly watchable film. One of the best films you will see for sure. It doesn't disappoint! Based on a true story, Captain Phillips (Hanks) takes command of the MV Alabama under orders to sail it's cargo through theCaptain Phillips is an absolute must see film! A stellar performance by the acting god that is Tom Hanks under the direction of the ever dependable Paul Greengrass makes for a highly watchable film. One of the best films you will see for sure. It doesn't disappoint! Based on a true story, Captain Phillips (Hanks) takes command of the MV Alabama under orders to sail it's cargo through the Gulf of Aden to Mumbasa. However, during their journey, Somali pirates board the ship and take him hostage. From their Greengrass excels in doing what he does best. Delivering a suspensful and incredibly tense experience that will have on the edge of your seats wondering what waits round every corner. Barkhad Abdi's portrayal as the pirate leader Abduwali Muse was wonderful. But as the film heralds towards it's conclusions it's all about Tom Hanks. His performance is undoubtedly an Oscar worthy and he excels and steers the film over the finish line. The film exceeded all expectations I had, but then again it shouldn't have. Paul Greengrass has an impeccable track-record and Tom Hanks never lets you down, he's Hollywood gold! One of the films of the year. Definitely a must see! Expand
  45. Nov 30, 2013
    Paul Greengrass is a director who always focuses his attention on depicting on screen events as realistically as possible and Captain Phillips is no exception. Its riveting and thrilling and the last 40 minutes are directed to near perfection with a scene with Tom Hanks that is the best scene in a movie so far this year.
  46. Oct 14, 2013
    The movie was extremely well done with fantastic acting, solid pacing, and very engaging story. Tom Hanks is amazing as usual. No complaints. It is long but does not drag and there are some cool military scenes near the end. Highly recommend.
  47. Nov 13, 2013
    Captain Phillips is a great movie that was much beter than I expected. I am always skeptical about movies base on real events because you know how it ends. Plus the previews showed an awful lot of the movie;s story in it. But the movie was quite good and did an excellent job of creating suspense. My only problems with the movie were the weak character introductions. You realize Phillips isCaptain Phillips is a great movie that was much beter than I expected. I am always skeptical about movies base on real events because you know how it ends. Plus the previews showed an awful lot of the movie;s story in it. But the movie was quite good and did an excellent job of creating suspense. My only problems with the movie were the weak character introductions. You realize Phillips is a father and that his family is in, what appears to be a minor crisis, but not much else is learned. Obviously the point of it was to show that Phillips had a family who depended on him, which increased our desires as viewers to see him live. But I feel with such a lack of developemt it was pointless to show. Other than that the movie is top notch.
    Once Phillips is aboard the ship the movie keeps you on the edge of your seat. Hanks does an excellent job portraying Phillips and Greengrass's direction creates the tension and action neccessary for the film. Another plus, is the casting, which creates a very authentic feel to the movie. The actors playing the pirates do a terrific job. So, I definitely would recommend this movie, aside from the weak opening it is fantastic.
  48. Oct 16, 2013
    The biggest praise I have for "Captain Phillips" is that it tells a very dramatic true life story in a very honest fashion. It doesn't feel exaggerated the action and drama plays out in a very straightforward manner. Tom Hanks gives a tremendous performance, with enough hints of the Captain's ego to fight off claims he is being canonized in the film. If you see an ad for this film andThe biggest praise I have for "Captain Phillips" is that it tells a very dramatic true life story in a very honest fashion. It doesn't feel exaggerated the action and drama plays out in a very straightforward manner. Tom Hanks gives a tremendous performance, with enough hints of the Captain's ego to fight off claims he is being canonized in the film. If you see an ad for this film and it appeals to you, then the film will deliver. The acting is terrific, the action sequences tight and exciting, and as usual, Greengrass uses a "documentary feel" to his directing that makes it feel as I said as the beginning honest. And that is a great compliment to everyone involved. Expand
  49. Jan 25, 2014
    The movie is inspired by the American cargo ship called Maersk Alabama's hijacking that took place in 2009 on the eastern coast of Africa. For many who think it is similar to Danish movie 'A Hijacking' it is not. Both the movies are about Somalian pirates, but a totally different stories which were based on individual true events. One was very much realistic about ransom negotiation andThe movie is inspired by the American cargo ship called Maersk Alabama's hijacking that took place in 2009 on the eastern coast of Africa. For many who think it is similar to Danish movie 'A Hijacking' it is not. Both the movies are about Somalian pirates, but a totally different stories which were based on individual true events. One was very much realistic about ransom negotiation and the other one was a clean entertainer on the opposite.

Maersk Alabama is the first American ship to be hijacked in over 200 years. Tom Hanks as captain Richard Phillip was brilliant. He continues to give his performances on the variety of roles in his movies compared to any other actors. That is why he's one of the rare actors in all fine movies of his.

As a formality the movie begins with the story where the captain Phillips' journey commence from his residence in America. After he flee to Oman to take his ship back to his country, he encounters the threat from a small group of pirates. Once the ship was held by the Somalians pirates the series of incidents occurs before the captain is taken as a hostage in a lifeboat. Then after there's no drama, everything was remarkably shown in those crucial parts with a slightly drag in ending. But the tensions were very well captured and wonderfully exhibited to us.

With an excellent direction from the director of the Bourne movie series, this movie came in his another top-notch. The movie had plenty of thrilling scenes takes you to the edge of your seat. One of those segments where I got stunned was when the ship was being held by pirates and when navy approaches to the lifeboat. In those parts I just said, wow!. Now my eyes on OSCAR, how many it will gain and lose is I must wait and watch.

8.5/10
  50. Oct 26, 2013
    A terrific film that is well paced with many edge of your seat moments. Tom Hanks gives a fantastic performance that allows you to feel what a real life situation for a captain is like. A
  51. Oct 11, 2013
    Captain Phillips is one of the best films I've seen this year with a all round great performance by Tom Hanks it kept me on the edge of my seat the same way Paul Greengrass did with United 93 suspenseful the moment the pirates get on the ship and take over I was thinking this is good enough but then it gets even better as the movie plays out. Tom Hanks will get an oscar nomination for hisCaptain Phillips is one of the best films I've seen this year with a all round great performance by Tom Hanks it kept me on the edge of my seat the same way Paul Greengrass did with United 93 suspenseful the moment the pirates get on the ship and take over I was thinking this is good enough but then it gets even better as the movie plays out. Tom Hanks will get an oscar nomination for his performance in this movie or even an Oscar which I think he should overall great movie. Acting A, Music A, Writing A, Movie 10 out of 10 Expand
  52. Oct 31, 2013
    Captain Phillips was, arguably, one of the best movies I have ever seen. While a ten is extremely difficult to achieve in my book, this easily takes the second-highest score. The drama, action, thrill, and occasional well-placed humor were quite excellent, even if it took well over two hours to achieve that.
  53. Nov 10, 2013
    I tell you this is a great movie. Even if it all wasn't true it was still a heck of a movie. Tom Hanks deserves an oscar. Those black pirates also deserve one too. Great movie!
  54. Nov 10, 2013
    The best thing about Paul Greengrass’ new action thriller Captain Phillips is that it is actually about Captain Phillips. No, this is not a joke.

Phillips is an adept ship captain for the huge shipping conglomerate Maersk. He assumes his role aboard a freighter docked in Oman bound for Kenya, and this route is straight through the Gulf of Aden, past Somali, the most pirate infested piece of ocean in the world. I assume most viewers entering the theatre already know that this film is about pirates attacking a ship. The film does fulfill this expectation in the first act, but from there everything that happens is as unpredictable as is possible to be unpredictable.

First of all, kudos to the trailer’s producers and marketers for selling this film as a conflict totally based upon on the hijacking of a ship. While this is the first major conflict of the film, it is not the only one. As the ship’s hijacking unfolds, and errors occur, whole tangential series of events and complications are created. Greengrass takes these tangents to a place we never could have expected, and all of a sudden we have an unexpected thrilling crisis of a film.

Overall it’s a simple story, but it’s so creative in its originality and unfolding that I was on the edge of my seat the whole film. Since it’s based on a true story I guess Greengrass shouldn’t get all the credit. A lot of the credit must go to one the two scriptwriters, Richard Phillips. He adapted this script from the book that was based on true events.

Second of all, there is a storyline involving the Somali’s and the world they come from. It was a great idea to include this. We are shown that Somali pirates are not just pure evil, but are in many ways forced into the acts of piracy they undertake. In a extremely revealing scene Phillips and Muse, the head pirate, reveal how higher levels of bureaucracy influences both their lives, they both have bosses they say.

In a moment of cinematic excellence, Greengrass actually makes the viewer feel sympathy for Muse despite the fact that he is a maniacal, automatic weapon toting killer who hijacks ships. Sir Greengrass, very well done.

There has been a concern over this film’s release though, and this raises the question that all art needs to consider: do the events of the film/artwork that declare themselves as true have an obligations to actually be true? Or can anyone declare anything and make into a work in itself?

This though comes from media attacks on the real Captain Phillips. According to The Guardian, apparently Captain Phillips himself was not the hero he is portrayed as in the film. He was a notoriously difficult captain to work for, and by sailing too close to Somalia some say he was the cause of the whole incident. Debate aside, very good film.
  55. Nov 10, 2013
    Captain Phillips keeps you on your toes from the second you step foot in the theater. Twists and many surprises will await you.
    Hanks performance is worthy of a Oscar with the pirates having great acting themselves. The acting in all the characters felt as if this was truly happening.
    This movie isn't much of an action movie but really captivated me on what a pirate invasion onboard would be like and just how scary it would be to be one of those crew members aboard.
    The reason why I didn't give it a perfect 10 is for the lackluster beginning and execution of the drama. Many parts were filler that were unnecessary. Also, many cliches filled this movement throughout.
  56. Oct 29, 2013
    I have to admit that this movie was absolutely stunning! I had absolutely no expectations what so ever before watching this movie. I have seen the Danish movie "The Hijacking (Kapringen)", which is about the same (Story loosely based on true events).
    Captain Phillips was great! I know you should take the story with a pinch of salt and I did. The movie by it self was so exciting and the last 30 minutes of the game my Heart was literally beating nonstop, faster and faster! Great performance by Tom Hanks. This movie is a must see!
  57. Oct 21, 2013
    A very interesting and thoroughly enjoyable film. Definitely one the best films that I have seen this year and a must see at the moment. Tom Hanks plays a great lead role and I was not disappointed after seeing this movie.
  58. Oct 27, 2013
    Captain Phillips 2013

Director: Paul Greengrass Tom Hanks brings another spectacular, emotional, well presented, and inspirational movie to the big screen. The movie introduced new characters but all of them did their individual roles with excellence. The content of the movie is very new to viewers and successfully introduces the life of pirates. When Captain Phillips leads this
    Captain Phillips 2013

Director: Paul Greengrass

When Captain Phillips leads this massive cargo ship from Jordan to Kenya, it was all supposed be a normal route. But, after several hours in the sea, Captain Philips and his crew faced the unexpected reality of pirates. The fear portrayed by Captain Phillips and his crew and the emotional rollercoaster and dramatic environment makes the movie very interesting to watch and enjoyable at the same time.

As American, watching the Navy Seals plan and execute a successful mission to save a single American's life is a very inspiring moment and makes viewers proud. The last minutes of the rescue, the intense exchange between the pirates and the American rescue team and the situation inside the lifeboat was very dramatic and all characters performed their part with excellence.

The movie is a masterpiece in all aspects and is a movie worth watching and a movie that will be remembered.

Source:

Captain Philips Movie 2013
  59. Nov 22, 2013
    At times, you actually wish the movie didn't so such a good job of placing in Phillips' shoes, it's that tense when it's at its best! There are so many moments where you feel such sympathy for him being placed in such an unimaginably dire situation, and because of it, Hanks and all supporting actors make Captain Phillips a movie that's at times slow, but immensely touching and memorable.
  60. Dec 5, 2013
    The plot is very amazing. Climax keeps getting higher and higher! Very intense at very point of the movie. Tom Hank did a fantastic job in playing the role, to be honest it could get him an Oscar for this!
  61. Hum
    Nov 25, 2013
    I normally avoid Tom Hanks movies because they are so corny. Apparently someone kept the bosom buddy in check as the Hanksy melodrama was largely absent. I enjoyed this one!
  62. Dec 5, 2013
    The Best in the movie is that we have a true story, an amazing rescue of that captain, an astonishing acting performance by Tom Hanks which make the movie better, good choice of the somalis, a lot of suspense and one of 2013 top 10.
  63. Dec 31, 2013
    Not what I expected, but I am still very much satisfied. I had expected a fast paced thriller with action, but the movie is surprisingly dialogue heavy and thoughtful. Trust me, this is a good thing. The characters always have something interesting to say that makes you think. The performances are also fantastic.

Captain Phillips gets an 8.6/10
  64. Jan 25, 2014
    Going in knowing the outcome with a movie like this makes it hard for the story itself to build tension and suspense. Captain Phillips knows this and instead relies on a magnificent Oscar worthy performance by Hanks. He is both realistically credible and emotionally captivating throughout the film, especially in the final act. Barkhab Abdi also leads a good performance along with theGoing in knowing the outcome with a movie like this makes it hard for the story itself to build tension and suspense. Captain Phillips knows this and instead relies on a magnificent Oscar worthy performance by Hanks. He is both realistically credible and emotionally captivating throughout the film, especially in the final act. Barkhab Abdi also leads a good performance along with the supporting cast of Somalia pirates in displaying them as people with no where else to turn, forced into a mission doomed for failure. The film subtly hints at this but never lets it overshadow the emotional journey of Phillips. The direction and sound are all top notch but what really separates this movie from the pack is the outstanding performance by Hanks. Expand
  65. Apr 19, 2014
    Captain phillips was one of my favorite movies of 2013..this is type of movie that's breathtaking to watch especially since it was based on a true story of a U.S cargo ship that got hijacked from Somali pirates .tom hanks gives a great oscar role as captain Phillips . The actors who play the Somali pirates do a terrific job on there role ..the pacing is good ..and a great crazy ending toCaptain phillips was one of my favorite movies of 2013..this is type of movie that's breathtaking to watch especially since it was based on a true story of a U.S cargo ship that got hijacked from Somali pirates .tom hanks gives a great oscar role as captain Phillips . The actors who play the Somali pirates do a terrific job on there role ..the pacing is good ..and a great crazy ending to this story .overall great movie. ...91/100 Expand
  66. Mar 7, 2014
    as if we all tom hanks was in saving mr banks which it sucked . tom hanks plays capatain philips an idiot captain who gets kidnaped by a piracy . but tom hanks was amazing in this role .
  67. Jun 21, 2014
    Captain Phillips is one of the best movies of 2013, it's Hanks' best movie since The Terminal. Hanks has had a great year with Saving Mr.Banks and Captain Phillips, Greengrass once again gives us an amazing movie, it's so entertaining and exciting. First time actor Barkhad Abdi puts on a great villainous performance as the the Somali Pirate
  68. Mar 13, 2014
    A very good and entertaining movie from start to end. I like movies based on true events and this did not disappoint. Tom Hanks again displays his great ability in portraying Captain Phillips. Highly recommend this suspenseful thriller.
  69. Jun 26, 2014
    Well then, this is another movie I was late with, similar to 12 Years a Slave. I rated 12 Years a Slave a 10 out of 10, and I was more than happy that I finally got to see that masterpiece. Was my opinion with Captain Phillips (CP) the same? No, but it was close. CP is based on a true story in which a cargo ship is captured by 4 pirates. These pirates aren't charming or likable ones likeWell then, this is another movie I was late with, similar to 12 Years a Slave. I rated 12 Years a Slave a 10 out of 10, and I was more than happy that I finally got to see that masterpiece. Was my opinion with Captain Phillips (CP) the same? No, but it was close. CP is based on a true story in which a cargo ship is captured by 4 pirates. These pirates aren't charming or likable ones like in Pirates of the Caribbean. This whole story happened about 5 years ago, too. These pirates are insanely cruel and they are also wonderfully acted by these brand new actors. Speaking of acting, everyone does an amazing job, and so does Tom Hanks as Captain Phillips himself. The movie is intense and it keeps you on the edge of your seat. If you think that the scene when the pirates board the ship is intense, you're in for a ride later on. Telling you that my favorite scene came from only a few sentences of dialogue should let you know that the writing and actual dialogue is beyond great, and it is. However, there are some scenes that if taken out, there would be no difference. Overall, it is beautifully shot. I say "overall" because later on when the setting's time changes to night the lighting just doesn't satisfy. Other movies can be wonderfully shot at night, but CP just didn't do this. CP is like a truly masterful painting. However, in that painting, it's like the artist accidentally just some spots of differently colored paint on it, yet everything else was perfect. That's how I found CP to be in my opinion. Expand
  70. Dec 21, 2014
    Captain Philips Is an outstanding film.It is stunning and well portrayed.Tom Hanks Is Back and once again did a great job in this movie! Captain Philips has it's own flaws but hey it's still fantastic and deserves a big Medal or award and a thumbs up!
  71. Mar 29, 2015
    Based on a true encounter in 2009, this ship apparently had a few encounters with pirates which were averted after the advent of armed security aboard these commercial vessels.

Hanks (as usual) does a brilliant job as the stern captain with a heart. Without giving too much away, this film will leave you on the edge of your seat for the majority of the film with the last 30% so action packed youll be screaming at the TV. The human aspect of two sides is also very well done.

A long time since I watched a film like this.
  72. BKM
    Nov 1, 2013
    It comes as little surprise that Captain Phillips is a tightly wound thriller grounded in reality. That has always been Greengrass' style. What's new this time out is the surprising waves of emotion that hit like a tsunami at the film's end. The credit for that goes to Hanks whose subtle turn paints Phillips not as a hero, but an ordinary man caught in a scenario with no ideal outcome.
  73. Oct 14, 2013
    So overall I enjoyed Captain Phillips and it is one of the better films of the year. Good acting, engaging film, and nice cinematography. If you can get past its somewhat lengthy running time and shaky cam & close-ups I think you’ll enjoy the film.
  74. Oct 15, 2013
    This film is based on a true story about a cargo ship that's overtaken by Somali pirates. Tom Hanks plays the captain, who smartly handles the invasion, then bravely endures what comes next. His final scene is the most moving. The tension holds steadily throughout and builds to an effective climax, although it does run a bit long.
  75. Oct 11, 2013
    An excellent movie with a good script, good screenplay, excellent direction and well-acted. There is plenty of drama with Tom Hanks doing a terrific job. Plenty to see about container ships, pirates, and the workings of the U.S. Navy. All in all, one of the better films of the year to date.
  76. Oct 21, 2013
    With a director like Paul Greengrass and a leading actor like Tom Hanks you can expect some action and drama. And it is delivered as expected.

This movie is based on real events, the hijacking of a huge cargo ship Maersk Alabama by Somali pirates in 2009. Many people question the historical accuracy of the script. I am not going to comment on it. The movie itself is extremely tense

Many people question the historical accuracy of the script. I am not going to comment on it. The movie itself is extremely tense and well made.
    Maybe the music is at times a bit too "dramatic" to my liking. But performance is solid across the board, and Tom Hanks once again demonstrated that he is one of the very best. I am confident he will be nominated for Oscar and very well may win it (for the third time).
  77. Oct 20, 2013
    Excellent and uncomfortably enjoyable. An initial sketch (not gratuitous as Salon.com claimed) gives a brief insight into who Phillips is, that he has regular domestic anxieties: in short, that he is not a hero, or even a hero in the making. Similarly, the introduction to the Somalis helps us see that they are not villains, but victims of the shocking inequalities in the world.

Hanks,

Hanks, cast as Everyman once again, comes under increasing pressure as the ordeal unfolds, yet whilst you want him to be freed, you have more sympathy for the pirates than you might have anticipated. When the might of the US war machine swings into action, the ruthlessness of the resolution is neither admirable nor triumphant. Relief is tinged with regret, that we live in a world where the weak cannot survive against such odds.
  78. Mar 16, 2014
    As much as I hate this movie for the false story it portrays which has been argued by the crew who had proven otherwise that Phillips was incompetent and who's actions nearly caused some of their deaths, the entertainment value made it worth the watch with Tom Hanks doing one of the best acting jobs I have seen in a long time.
  79. Feb 26, 2014
    This was good flick that i didn't expect to see (but came up during a flight). Hanks doesn't wow on the screen but a rather vanilla. As is the supporting cast. However, the story is what saves this film. As the film progresses you can begin to really feel the tension which is probably 100% less than what it was really like. You cetrainly find yourself rooting for Hank's character, and asThis was good flick that i didn't expect to see (but came up during a flight). Hanks doesn't wow on the screen but a rather vanilla. As is the supporting cast. However, the story is what saves this film. As the film progresses you can begin to really feel the tension which is probably 100% less than what it was really like. You cetrainly find yourself rooting for Hank's character, and as this is based on a true story, makes for a cherry on top;. Expand
  80. Apr 12, 2014
    Really really intense film, which made for a very exciting and satisfying experience. Tom Hanks is great in the lead role, as expected and throughout, the expected thrills and suspense are absolutely there as you find yourself virtually on the edge of your seat at times. What was unexpected, for sure, is the sympathy I personally felt for a couple of the pirates, in particular BarkhadReally really intense film, which made for a very exciting and satisfying experience. Tom Hanks is great in the lead role, as expected and throughout, the expected thrills and suspense are absolutely there as you find yourself virtually on the edge of your seat at times. What was unexpected, for sure, is the sympathy I personally felt for a couple of the pirates, in particular Barkhad Abdi's character. You certainly get the sense that he does not want to be doing this, but has no choice as it is the only way he can make any money in Somalia. In spite of that, director Paul Greengrass is still able to instill the sense of fear felt by Phillips as the pirates prove again and again that they are unpredictable and prone to rash decisions, which really makes you worry for Phillips and will become of him. Overall, Captain Phillips is a very entertaining film that is entirely straightforward (not a knock) and proves to certainly be another strong entry in what was a great year of film in 2013. Expand
  81. Oct 12, 2013
    I've wanted to see this movie since i first saw the trailer and I thought it was going to be the best of the year. While I can't honestly say i was disappointed I'd be lying if I said I wasn't expecting more. The main problem comes from the fact that it's just too long and drawn out and Tom Hanks spends the entire movie talking like Mayor Quimby. Still, the acting is solid and there areI've wanted to see this movie since i first saw the trailer and I thought it was going to be the best of the year. While I can't honestly say i was disappointed I'd be lying if I said I wasn't expecting more. The main problem comes from the fact that it's just too long and drawn out and Tom Hanks spends the entire movie talking like Mayor Quimby. Still, the acting is solid and there are enough thrills to keep you engaged until the end. Expand
  82. Oct 20, 2013
    With crisp, invigorating direction, a sizable array of engrossing performances, a pulse-pounding score, and subtly profound thematic intrigue, Greengrass strikes thriller gold once again with "Captain Phillips."
  83. Jan 3, 2014
    The master of shaky cam Paul Greengrass directs this tense, exciting version of Richard Phillips true story.

It all gets off to a good start, the main characters Captain Phillips and the Somalian pirates are set up. We know why there doing what there doing and how there paths cross. But it's all just the build up to when the pirates get onto the ship, a very good build up though. One

One of my favorite things about the movie which I only noticed once it had finished, is that instead of the pirates killing crew members left, right and center and the crew members attacking the pirates with makeshift weapons (which is how the movie would have been if Michael Bay was the director) the pirates gain access to the ship and try to find out where everyone is and let Captain Phillips know whose boss realistic things. The whole movie has this tone, there aren't any huge explosions and bloody gunfights with big body counts. It all stays realistic.

However the main attraction of the movie which is why, I think, it's so memorable and being hailed as one of the best movies of the year so far is Tom Hanks. He gives the performance of a lifetime (yes even better than Toy Story). I'm talking Heath Ledger as The Joker standard, now you understand how good he is. Every single second of screen time with him in it is amazing and masterfully acted. I would say that he deserves the Oscar for this year, but I haven't seen Gravity yet. Seriously though Tom Hanks acting in the last scene of the movie is phenomenal and I will buy the DVD just to see that again.

Captain Phillips is one of my favorite movies of the year so far a must see.
  84. Apr 14, 2014
    Great and very solid film. Tense and thrilling with some realistic action. Good plot and acting on point. In fact the acting from Tom Hanks is near perfection, first because you don´t even notice he is acting, you just follow the story and are in from the beginning, and then because towards the end of the film he shows what he´s capable of. Great performance. But the acting from the mainGreat and very solid film. Tense and thrilling with some realistic action. Good plot and acting on point. In fact the acting from Tom Hanks is near perfection, first because you don´t even notice he is acting, you just follow the story and are in from the beginning, and then because towards the end of the film he shows what he´s capable of. Great performance. But the acting from the main pirate is outstanding too, especially for a person who has never acted before. The films does good at explaining the reasons why all these people are in this situation and it works. Only little flaws: it could have been slightly shorter (only a little bit) and the ending gets a little too melodramatic in a way that the rest of the movie was not. Still outstanding. Expand
  85. Feb 2, 2014
    I really liked this movie. It's tense, exciting, engaging, and ultimately very memorable. Greengrass's direction is excellently gritty and authentic. Under his control everything in the film seems impressively real. I can't believe Hanks was snubbed out of an Oscar nomination. His performance was beyond first rate, especially towards the end of the film. The script is also very wellI really liked this movie. It's tense, exciting, engaging, and ultimately very memorable. Greengrass's direction is excellently gritty and authentic. Under his control everything in the film seems impressively real. I can't believe Hanks was snubbed out of an Oscar nomination. His performance was beyond first rate, especially towards the end of the film. The script is also very well done, even to the point of giving a touch humanity to the vicious main villain. I can't however shake the feeling that the film is somewhat limited. It works great as an action film, as well as a drama, but I can't help but feel that it was lacking... something. It also ends too abruptly. Other than those very small disappointments though, this is definitely a must see movie. I also highly recommend buying it. Expand
  86. Oct 12, 2013
    Greengrass and Hanks succeed in Captain Phillips with an astute and exciting action-thriller/biopic. Moviegoers who are interested in seeing the real-life MV Maersk Alabama story recreated on the big screen will likely be satisfied with the assembled package of clever filmmaking choices and a phenomenal pair of star performances.
  87. Mar 9, 2014
    Looks like a mix of everything we've seen in year, drama, suspense, action, everything, and well executed and directed, does not look like a "based on true events" empty, it seem who has a heart there, not only in Philips, but also, in their own "villains".
    In the end, can be embraced as a horror movie, or even a documentary, because like most of the time, the stronger stands on end.
  88. Oct 28, 2013
    Superbly directed by Greengrass and led by Hanks and Abdi's powerful performances, 'Captain Phillips' is a tense and exhilarating film experience, that may lose its way in its second act, but is compensated for in it outstanding first and second.
  89. Dec 2, 2013
    "Maybe in America, maybe in America", says Somalian pirate leader Muse; when Captain Phillips asks if there isn’t more to their lives than fishing and kidnapping people. Such an exchange highlights the desperation of the underdeveloped, but does that make their actions justifiable? Such nuances are key in 'Captain Phillips', Paul Greengrass' new film about a group of Somalian pirates who"Maybe in America, maybe in America", says Somalian pirate leader Muse; when Captain Phillips asks if there isn’t more to their lives than fishing and kidnapping people. Such an exchange highlights the desperation of the underdeveloped, but does that make their actions justifiable? Such nuances are key in 'Captain Phillips', Paul Greengrass' new film about a group of Somalian pirates who hijack a container ship off the horn of Africa and hold the ship's captain hostage. I must commend screenwriter, Billy Ray, for not only blueprinting the details of this docu-drama but also creating a great character in Capt. Richard Phillips and giving humanity to the four antagonists; who were far more than just "The Pirates". With this, Tom Hanks is able to give his finest performance in over a decade as the genuine Capt. Phillips; and newcomer Barkhad Abdi is able to stand toe-to-toe with him; as Muse. This movie kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time. Paul Greengrass has built his career around procedural film making; relying on blunt realism and sharp kinetic thrills. He's in very fine form this time around, doing his best work since 'United 93'. Being ripped straight from the headlines; many may already know how it will all end (albeit, not in such grimy details); but that doesn't seem to matter. Greengrass and his usual editor of choice, Christopher Rouse, know how to construct the adrenaline induced action, the poignancy of the drama and the intensity of the thrills to great effect! “Captain Phillips” was a smart, effective and riveting film; and what else can I say, it was very well made. Expand
  90. May 22, 2014
    I always wondered how they wound up in the lifeboat... I'm glad they focused on the details of how the whole thing went down... especially the actual rescue... learned something and enjoyed the well directed well acted film... tom hanks did go a little over the top at the end...
  91. Nov 6, 2013
    El director Paul Greengrass da vida a este acontecimiento histórico, pero con un detalle totalmente realista; con el que nos sentimos atrapados sin salida al igual que los personajes que rodean la tripulación del barco (y hasta a los piratas). Captain Phillips, es una película digna de disfrutar y vivir la experiencia lado a lado con este impresionante estilo frenético que solamenteEl director Paul Greengrass da vida a este acontecimiento histórico, pero con un detalle totalmente realista; con el que nos sentimos atrapados sin salida al igual que los personajes que rodean la tripulación del barco (y hasta a los piratas). Captain Phillips, es una película digna de disfrutar y vivir la experiencia lado a lado con este impresionante estilo frenético que solamente Greengrass es capaz de aportar; actuaciones penetrantes, mucho realismo y el no poder despegarte de la pantalla se encuentra en ésta película. Expand
  92. Oct 12, 2013
    Captain Phillips is brilliant, captivating and "direct hit." The film was a little bit slow in the beginning but picks up and leaves you holding tight on your seat. There are moments where you just want to turn away and holding your hands to your mouth. Tom Hanks shows time and time again why he is one of the best in the business. He played the character with so much depth it makes youCaptain Phillips is brilliant, captivating and "direct hit." The film was a little bit slow in the beginning but picks up and leaves you holding tight on your seat. There are moments where you just want to turn away and holding your hands to your mouth. Tom Hanks shows time and time again why he is one of the best in the business. He played the character with so much depth it makes you think what would you do in his situation. The last few minutes of the movie is sure to earn him his award nominations for Best Actor. Expand
  93. Oct 12, 2013
    CAPTAIN PHILLIPS is a perfect film. There is not one extraneous moment, one shot that is not needed, no scene too long or short, and every performance is insightful. Running over 2 hours, CAPTAIN PHILLIPS never feels long and director Paul Greengrass keeps you on the edge of your seat without ever exploiting the situation or going for easy thrills. This is adult Hollywood filmmaking at itsCAPTAIN PHILLIPS is a perfect film. There is not one extraneous moment, one shot that is not needed, no scene too long or short, and every performance is insightful. Running over 2 hours, CAPTAIN PHILLIPS never feels long and director Paul Greengrass keeps you on the edge of your seat without ever exploiting the situation or going for easy thrills. This is adult Hollywood filmmaking at its finest. And the ending is sublime. The best moment in a very very good film. But is it possible to be too perfect? Yes! CAPTAIN PHILLIPS lacks the insight, depth or commentary that would really take it into the stratosphere. Expand
  94. Oct 28, 2013
    Being held hostage by a dangerous group of modern-day pirates as they wield automatic weapons is something nobody wants to experience, but Captain Phillips will probably be the closest you’ll get to knowing what it's like.  The film is based on the true story of the brave commander of the U.S. container ship Maersk Alabama, which was seized in 2009 by a crew of Somali pirates.  The grittyBeing held hostage by a dangerous group of modern-day pirates as they wield automatic weapons is something nobody wants to experience, but Captain Phillips will probably be the closest you’ll get to knowing what it's like.  The film is based on the true story of the brave commander of the U.S. container ship Maersk Alabama, which was seized in 2009 by a crew of Somali pirates.  The gritty cinematography and the realism of the characters make Captain Phillips one of the best films of the year.
    Director Paul Greengrass, who's works include the Bourne sequels and United 93, once again used his infamous shaky-cam techniques to effectively give the feeling of disorientation and boost the intensity of the film. The cinematographer was Barry Ackroyd, who chose to shoot with different film depending on which characters were in the shot. If Hanks or his crew members were in frame, they were shot on 35mm, which produced a higher quality picture with more vivid colors and less of a grainy look. On the other hand, the pirates were shot with 16mm film, giving off a more grainy look with slightly duller color. These contrasts, along with the hand-held camera look and close-up face shots all accumulated to intensify the already horrific situation. Greengrass' cast consisted of almost all no-name actors besides Tom Hanks, who gave a possible oscar-nominating performance as he displayed the bravery of being Richard Phillips, captain of the Maersk Alabama. In order to add to the realism, Greengrass didn't let the pirates and Hanks meet each other until they were on set and about to film. The fear expressed on Hank's face may have also been natural.
    The first 20 minutes of the movie was the calm before the storm. Hanks is packing his bags, getting ready to leave his house in Vermont. His wife drives him to the airport, and you can't help but notice how worried and visibly scared she is. Her tears and feelings of uncertainty foreshadow the horrific events that follow. Viewers become emotionally invested knowing the captain has a loving wife back home. Meanwhile, back on the shores of Somalia, a dream-team of pirates is being assembled. Similar to the drafting process of a schoolyard football game, about 8 men are selected from the group, based on strength and determination. The Somalians grab their AK-47s, and climb into their motorized skiffs as they head to sea with only one objective to bring home money. Even though the Somalians are embarking on a journey of crime, all they want is a better life. The contrast of Phillips home-life versus life in Somalia is nothing but saddening. A part of you almost roots for the pirates to return home with their ransom money.
    When Hanks first steps foot on the ship, he goes right into captain mode. He immediately starts safety procedures and bosses around his lazy group crew workers. After finishing up his last safety drill, he spots 2 skiffs on his radar, headed his way quickly. One skiff ends up turning around, but the inevitable happens, and the Maersk Alabama is boarded by 4 Somali pirates. As Hanks sends the crew to hide out in the engine room, he does his best to distract the impatient pirates by offering them water and melon slices to snack on. But the leader of the hijackers, Muse (Barkhad Abdi), has had enough, and eventually takes the captain hostage on a small covered lifeboat, while demanding a ransom of millions in exchange for his return.
    The claustrophobic lifeboat consisted of Captain Phillips, Muse, and his 3 other helpers the right-hand man, the hothead, and the rookie. While in the lifeboat, Hanks begins to form a relationship with the rookie pirate, who's only 16 years of age and displayed just as much fear as Hanks. Hanks helps the youngster bandage his cut foot and tries to speak with him. He tells the Somalian that he is too young to be hijacking ships. The dynamics of their relationship was interesting. They both secretly helped each other, trying to avoid being caught by the hothead, who never hesitated to scream at Hanks and deliver a pistol-whip to his forehead. As the movie progresses, your concern for the safety and future of the young pirate is right there with your concerns for the captain.
    What follows is an intense cat-and-mouse game with the U.S. Navy and the little orange lifeboat, full of failed negotiations and uncertainties. Once the lifeboat is surrounded, it is clear that all 5 men are unsure if they will make it out of there alive. All 130 minutes accumulate to what is one of the most intense movie climaxes you'll see. And Hank's brilliant acting in the last 4 minutes caps the movie with a real, heartfelt ending that everyone must see themselves.
  95. Nov 16, 2013
    Directed, written and pictures are not the only advantages of the film. Delight also raises impersonator title role of Tom Hanks. I can not imagine the upcoming Oscar ceremony without his name on the list of nominees for the statue's role.
  96. Nov 29, 2013
    I see any movie that Tom Hanks is in. This is a decent movie, but not among Tom's best. I found the locale off the shore of Somalia and in the Arabian nice.
  97. Mar 7, 2014
    Captain Phillips does a great job showing off Tom Hanks as a strong and cunning leader of the Maersk Alabama with a family back in the states. The film is very good for setting a nice plot with some unease and doubt they will make it past the Somalian coast without getting highjacked. Once the pirates attack the action doesn't stop. Still the movie does make you feel bad at the beginningCaptain Phillips does a great job showing off Tom Hanks as a strong and cunning leader of the Maersk Alabama with a family back in the states. The film is very good for setting a nice plot with some unease and doubt they will make it past the Somalian coast without getting highjacked. Once the pirates attack the action doesn't stop. Still the movie does make you feel bad at the beginning for these "poor fishermen" until you realize they chose their path in life. Very good for the action, tension, suspense, and story line. Expand
  98. Jan 22, 2014
    A very nice and interesting movie with good acting. I enjoyed it, it kept me interested and wanting more.
    Also the plot is very original and I haven't seen any similiar movie before. Recommended.
  99. Jan 17, 2014
    This movie is great, the direction by Paul Greengrass is great, the actors playing the Somali pirates, are actually pretty darn good, and Tom Hanks gives one of his greatest performances ever, which is saying a lot. This is one of the best movies of the year.
  100. Jan 24, 2014
    ''An Absolute knockout!'' Explosively suspenseful, Brilliant,Powerful as you've heard. Tom Hanks is astounding. The Best performance of an actor on 2013. The highest order of acting definitely raises the bar of what true life action thriller could do. So let Captain Phillips give it to you! Captain Phillips should be on the stage on the Oscar night. Not just One of the Best Films of 2013,''An Absolute knockout!'' Explosively suspenseful, Brilliant,Powerful as you've heard. Tom Hanks is astounding. The Best performance of an actor on 2013. The highest order of acting definitely raises the bar of what true life action thriller could do. So let Captain Phillips give it to you! Captain Phillips should be on the stage on the Oscar night. Not just One of the Best Films of 2013, One of the Best Films of the decade. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Neil Smith
    Oct 21, 2013
    Squeezing every drop of tension from wet-ink recent history, Phillips only falters when making its protagonists mouthpieces in a broader geopolitical debate. Otherwise, it’s full steam ahead to the Oscars.
  2. Reviewed by: Kenneth Turan
    Oct 11, 2013
    The piercingly realistic Captain Phillips will exceed your expectations.
  3. Reviewed by: Peter Rainer
    Oct 11, 2013
    Greengrass is an expert hijacker, too. He hijacks our good sense.