5.8

1. Apr 24, 2015
    It’s never easy coping with the death of an icon, especially for a franchise as intimately associated with that icon as Cars was with Paul Newman. Yet in a shocking miscalculation, the usually brilliant folks over at Pixar coped with Newman’s death in the stupidest possible way—by transforming John Lasseter’s shiny love letter to the automobile into an unabashed vehicle for the hayseedIt’s never easy coping with the death of an icon, especially for a franchise as intimately associated with that icon as Cars was with Paul Newman. Yet in a shocking miscalculation, the usually brilliant folks over at Pixar coped with Newman’s death in the stupidest possible way—by transforming John Lasseter’s shiny love letter to the automobile into an unabashed vehicle for the hayseed comedy stylings of Larry The Cable Guy. Larry The Cable Guy’s hillbilly tow truck Mater must have sold a lot of toys and played like gangbusters for focus-group respondents, because Cars 2 makes the vehicular redneck its proud centerpiece. That leaves Owen Wilson, the film’s ostensible star, to fret about the state of his relationship with his best friend Mater. Itchy & Scratchy Studios didn’t push Poochie on audiences the way Cars 2 does Mater.

Cars 2 sends Mater and Wilson’s Lightning McQueen on a globe-trotting trek to compete in an international Grand Prix that doubles as a showcase for an amazing new wonder-fuel. In Europe, Mater unwittingly lives out the plot of The Man Who Knew Too Little when he gets entangled in a web of intrigue involving a James Bond-style car voiced by Michael Caine and his more-than-capable associate Holley Shiftwell. Yes, in Cars 2, Mater even gets the girl.

The first Cars was pitched at a much younger audience than the rest of Pixar’s oeuvre; the sequel is pitched even more directly at an even younger audience. It’s difficult to insert scatological humor into a film devoid of human bodily functions, but Cars 2 nevertheless manages to smuggle some in via Mater “leaking fluids” and at one point ending up in a lavatory truck. Cars 2 is so enraptured with Larry The Cable Guy’s persona that it even has Mater spout the comedian’s catchphrases, though the more Mater insists something is just funny right there, the less funny it becomes. This being Pixar, Cars 2 looks fantastic, but the studio has never given audiences—especially audiences over the age of 10—less reason to be emotionally invested in the beautiful shiny things flying across the screen.

(Preceding the film is a clever short from the Toy Story universe involving Ken and Barbie’s crudely improvised Hawaiian vacation. This provides an unflattering reminder of what a really good Pixar sequel looks like.)
  2. Mar 12, 2015
    Okay, it was a fairly decent movie. But the dream company, Pixar, didn't add the warmth and feeling. The first I didn't care for much, but it had that love in it. Cars 2 was aesthetically marvelous, but it felt like a small glove. The move didn't feel right. It did not have the Pixas shimmer and secret ingredient, love.
  3. Dec 29, 2014
    There is a little bit of fun to be had, but Cars 2 is a very messy and incoherent film that made the fatal mistake of making the comic relief from the first Cars the main character of this one.
  4. Dec 24, 2014
    Admittedly impressive on animation level, but annoying and uninspiring on storytelling and dialogue, this Pixar sequel induces some laughs and little else.
  5. Oct 19, 2014
    Star racecar Lightning McQueen and the incomparable tow truck Mater take their friendship to exciting new places in "Cars 2" when they head overseas to compete in the first-ever World Grand Prix to determine the world's fastest car. But the road to the championship is filled with plenty of potholes, detours and hilarious surprises when Mater gets caught up in an intriguing adventure of hisStar racecar Lightning McQueen and the incomparable tow truck Mater take their friendship to exciting new places in "Cars 2" when they head overseas to compete in the first-ever World Grand Prix to determine the world's fastest car. But the road to the championship is filled with plenty of potholes, detours and hilarious surprises when Mater gets caught up in an intriguing adventure of his own: international espionage. Torn between assisting Lightning McQueen in the high-profile race and towing the line in a top-secret spy mission, Mater’s action-packed journey leads him on an explosive chase through the streets of Japan and Europe, trailed by his friends and watched by the whole world. Adding to the fast-paced fun is a colorful new all-car cast that includes secret agents, menacing villains and international racing competitors. Expand
  6. Oct 13, 2014
    This is sadly Pixar's worst film in terms of the quantity, it loses the special magic that made the original so good for me. It's not one of the worst animated films I've seen, but it's still pretty disappointing seeing this after Toy Story 3. Whilst the film looks gorges, has great action, good racing sequences it still doesn't make up for it's unoriginality.
  7. Apr 13, 2014
    Cars 2 is a sequel to the 2006 animated film, Cars, once again proves its title over the visionary field of technical excellence. Here, not only the characters are well-voiced but also it's visuals have improved that often looks glorious and stunning. It has many amazing action sequences and exploding scenes but this film is technically does not belong to PIxar's top mastery works. Cars 2Cars 2 is a sequel to the 2006 animated film, Cars, once again proves its title over the visionary field of technical excellence. Here, not only the characters are well-voiced but also it's visuals have improved that often looks glorious and stunning. It has many amazing action sequences and exploding scenes but this film is technically does not belong to PIxar's top mastery works. Cars 2 is the only sequel that received a rotten rating from all other rating websites; and the question is, Why? It is because of its carelessly handled storytelling that's so complicated to understand that it wants to become like the greatest action movie you never before seen on animation -- intended to become like a James Bond film or any spy film. So because of that bad storytelling. We can see now that Pixar somehow loses magic and credibility in crafting innovative, original, and outstanding stories which we have seen from its past Academy Award winning films like those of Finding Nemo, Ratatouille, Wall-E, Up, and Toy Story 3. No heartfelt or improving drama, no cleverly crafted gags. Cars 2, fairly, does not belong to the list of the worst animations produced on screen but it is rendered as a mediocre film. Overall, it's still watchable and quite enjoyable for some scenes which are somewhat smart, intelligent and quite funny. Expand
  8. Apr 1, 2014
    If you could use just one word to describe this film, it is pointless. Just a worthless sequel made with probably some of the weakest story telling ever. There was a lot of cliche things in this film that felt so pointless and stupid; the characters also didn't feel as memorable in this as they did in the first Cars, they just felt bland and also that addition of making Mater like a secretIf you could use just one word to describe this film, it is pointless. Just a worthless sequel made with probably some of the weakest story telling ever. There was a lot of cliche things in this film that felt so pointless and stupid; the characters also didn't feel as memorable in this as they did in the first Cars, they just felt bland and also that addition of making Mater like a secret agent or something, that's just not fitting for the Cars series really when comparing this to the first film. It's a shame that Pixar actually made a film like this, I mean PIXAR! The company that has made so many masterpieces like the Toy Story films, Monsters Inc, Finding Nemo, The Incredibles and Wall-E; now this, Pixar's first film that's only point was just to sell a bunch of toys. I would not recommend this film, after seeing this I was hoping that Pixar would never do something like this again, well apparently they inspired The Planes series, which looks terrible (luckily they are not making those) but it doesn't stop there, Pixar may have pleased a lot of fans announcing The Incredibles 2, but while doing that they also displeased us by announcing Cars 3. This is not Pixar, I remember when every film Pixar made was great and had no intention of just existing just to make money, but to also tell amazing stories. While Pixar isn't completely doomed today (I did like MU), I just wonder if they'll ever make a new film that actually has quality and lives up to their oldest and most classic films. Expand
  9. Mar 26, 2014
    Surprisingly, Cars 2 manages to be better than the first Cars by an iota. The scenes are still cheesy and unnecessarily long, and the story is a bore. Skip it.
  10. Mar 19, 2014
    cars two was a better sequel . everything is just like the 50's like james bond . but people and critics hated it it is 99 % true it does suck . but i hope there's not a cars 3 . larry the cable as matter is gay that's not an a opinion it is true
  11. Mar 8, 2014
    This could be the first Pixar movie that disappointed us. Just like all Pixar films, the visuals and effects are stunning, but we have an under-plotted and messy story to go with it.
  12. Nov 14, 2013
    Cars 2 is a disappointment. If a studio such as Dreamworks or Sony Animation were making this I’d be more lenient. But this is Pixar we are talking about. The studio is much better than this. I don’t know what to say. I want to say this is good but I’m not really sure what they were thinking. I’m as baffled as the cars in the movie were when McQueen moves to the outside lane. The Toy StoryCars 2 is a disappointment. If a studio such as Dreamworks or Sony Animation were making this I’d be more lenient. But this is Pixar we are talking about. The studio is much better than this. I don’t know what to say. I want to say this is good but I’m not really sure what they were thinking. I’m as baffled as the cars in the movie were when McQueen moves to the outside lane. The Toy Story short at the start of the movie was better the film itself. If you’re a kid or a Mater fan you’ll love this movie. However, anyone who believes that Cars 2 will be another masterpiece from Pixar forget it. Cars 2 is a disappointing movie that has made me lose trust in studio that until now has been flawless. Expand
  13. Nov 12, 2013
    Compared to this movie, 'Cars' is all realistic and seems possible. I suspect it's because this sequel is so convoluted that's the biggest laugh you can get out the whole film. Mater is the only interesting thing, as I found every other car annoying. 'Cars' should have stayed within the range of simple anthropomorphic vehicles, not anthropomorphic spy cars.
  14. Oct 31, 2013
    in my opinion thisis the worst film that walt disney pixar has ever made so far,the first movie wasn't so good at all,this second movie is even worst then the first one.
  15. Oct 11, 2013
    As a pixar loved, I loved the first cars (well technically all of them), but the second was a BIG MESS! What happened here? boring characters, predictable spy plot and a lot more!
    Try harder, Pixar.
  16. Aug 26, 2013
    I would rate this as a four if it were made by some other studio, but Pixar? We expect better!
    The first Cars film was just boring, this one is insipidly stupid. My little sister who is barely past the age of six couldn't enjoy this film.
  17. Jul 29, 2013
    As a huge fan of pixar I had high hopes for this movie after finding the original fairly enjoyable but this film just annoyed me. The worst and most irritating character from the original film (Mater) is made the main focus of this movie, and he is insufferable. In my opinion this character rivals jar-jar binks in terms of being incredibly annoying. The overall plot of the film is a spyAs a huge fan of pixar I had high hopes for this movie after finding the original fairly enjoyable but this film just annoyed me. The worst and most irritating character from the original film (Mater) is made the main focus of this movie, and he is insufferable. In my opinion this character rivals jar-jar binks in terms of being incredibly annoying. The overall plot of the film is a spy flick crossed with some fast and furious for kids action. The portions with mater are annoying and the portions with the racing are nothing new or exciting, I did not laugh at any of the jokes, which compared to pixars other movies, some of which are incredibly funny, is very disappointing. The films animation is top notch, so it is at least nice to look at but other than that the movie is by far the worst pixar has ever created. Expand
  18. Jul 14, 2013
    Pixar jamas ha logrado tan bajo desempeño en sus peliculas se supone que pixar se saca las mejores peliculas no las peores una pelicula que destroza la buena reputacion de Cars.
  19. Jul 4, 2013
    You may call it a crime to like "Cars 2", but I truly did. While its storytelling isn't spectacular and has similar elements that has been done before, it has visuals, humor, and well written scenes that somehow make up for it. "Cars 2" is a kid film that isn't shallow and stupid, it's complex and full of fun energy. It could be the worst Pixar film, but it's better than nearlyYou may call it a crime to like "Cars 2", but I truly did. While its storytelling isn't spectacular and has similar elements that has been done before, it has visuals, humor, and well written scenes that somehow make up for it. "Cars 2" is a kid film that isn't shallow and stupid, it's complex and full of fun energy. It could be the worst Pixar film, but it's better than nearly three-fourths of the animated films that come out today. Expand
  20. Jun 12, 2013
    Why do people hate this movie, I mean sure its not Pixar's best but it's still great, its a funny spy movie with likeable characters, I mean how could people not like the characters. What's wrong with a spy car, a race car, and a tow truck. This movie is not Pixar's worst movie
  21. Mar 23, 2013
    This was OK, but a serious let down from the first! Watching this was hard, cause I wanted to like it after watching the first, but like others have said, this was a money grab.I guess I wasn't surprised cause I did wonder what could they possibly do with a second part. Sadly they had no clue just like me.
  22. Feb 5, 2013
    If there was a Pixar film I could trade for to see Pixar movies I missed in theaters, it would easily be Cars 2. Such a huge leap from the first movie. It lacked story and just sped by the running time with guns ablaze and cars exploding. I think the violence is justified here since most of the characters are vehicles but there is no reason to turn a sequel into an action film.
  23. Jan 8, 2013
    I'm honestly surprised by all the hatred this movie has received. Sure, it's not a GREAT movie, but is it terrible? No. It's a decent movie with a few funny moments and some spectacular animation, but it probably is Pixar's "least best" movie. Still worth seeing, though.
  24. Dec 7, 2012
    Very good sequel to a great animated film.
  25. Oct 3, 2012
    Overall, it is a good animated movie. But this is not what I expect from Pixar. Complicated plot, occasionally cheesy voice acting and surprisingly basic presentation. The animation as always is fantastic. But still, I am very disappointed with Pixar. I expect a lot more from them. I hope they will redeem themselves in their next films.................
  26. Aug 28, 2012
    while theres not alot of character development in here it is still a site to see......................................................................
  27. Jul 22, 2012
    Okay Pixar has let us down completely, Cars 2 is boring, occasionally funny, and just terrible story telling right in the middle of it. And um where is all the heart Cars had which got it all the good reviews. Hmm Pixar can we trust you. And most of all making another Cars means that this franchise has no place in the other world that Pixar has created. Which makes it the moreOkay Pixar has let us down completely, Cars 2 is boring, occasionally funny, and just terrible story telling right in the middle of it. And um where is all the heart Cars had which got it all the good reviews. Hmm Pixar can we trust you. And most of all making another Cars means that this franchise has no place in the other world that Pixar has created. Which makes it the more disappointing. I give this film a 32% of a good movie. Expand
  28. Jul 11, 2012
    i loved this movie it was so beautiful in the lesson it taught that friends are friends and you cant expect them to change and i cant believe the critics hated it so much saying ooh it ventured from lighting mcqueen well i thought that cars 2 was great the way it was matter is the character most kids love not because he was a main character but because hes funny over all i would give it ai loved this movie it was so beautiful in the lesson it taught that friends are friends and you cant expect them to change and i cant believe the critics hated it so much saying ooh it ventured from lighting mcqueen well i thought that cars 2 was great the way it was matter is the character most kids love not because he was a main character but because hes funny over all i would give it a 90 out of 100 Expand
  29. Jul 11, 2012
    Cars 2 is Pixar's worst film to date, but that doesn't mean it's bad. It is a good film, but not a lot more, as some of the comedy isn't very funny and the plot isn't exactly top of the line. My main complaint of the film however is that it feels disjointed, giving you no time to get adjusted to "Lightning's" storyline, while also at times not giving you enough time to really get intoCars 2 is Pixar's worst film to date, but that doesn't mean it's bad. It is a good film, but not a lot more, as some of the comedy isn't very funny and the plot isn't exactly top of the line. My main complaint of the film however is that it feels disjointed, giving you no time to get adjusted to "Lightning's" storyline, while also at times not giving you enough time to really get into "Mater's" storyline. It's odd that they shifted the focus of the main protagonist to Mater, which, while isn't necessarily bad, some will find it very off-putting. The film is fun, and this is where it holds up, making it a 6/10, also it has a good plot twist that I did not see happening at all. All in all, it's a fun film that shouldn't be overlooked, but it should really be called something like "Cars: it's Materin' Time!" as the story revolves around Mater, giving a fun Spy based film with explosions and everything, but certainly no Pixar masterpiece like we should be getting given their track record. Expand
  30. Jul 5, 2012
    Although visually amazing, it lacks of a good plot and originality. It almost seems like a not very good James Bond movie. And I thought the main character was McQueen!! It had his funny moments, but not even that could save Cars 2 from blowing!

1. Reviewed by: Ian Freer
    Jul 18, 2011
    It's not vintage Pixar, but Cars 2 is still streets ahead of most of the animated pack. For all its energy and Bondian panache, perhaps its problems are insurmountable: Pixar's cars - and their universe - don't resonate and endear as much as its toys, monsters, clownfish and OAP dreamers.
  2. Reviewed by: J.R. Jones
    Jun 30, 2011
    A rare dud from Pixar.
  3. Reviewed by: Peter Rainer
    Jun 26, 2011
    Marginally better than its predecessor, but the same problem still remains: Cars just aren't very interesting as anthropomorphic animation vehicles (pun intended).