Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures | Release Date: June 24, 2011
5.7
Mixed or average reviews based on 397 Ratings
WATCH NOW
RikiegeDec 7, 2012
Very good sequel to a great animated film.
oblique15Mar 23, 2013
This was OK, but a serious let down from the first! Watching this was hard, cause I wanted to like it after watching the first, but like others have said, this was a money grab.I guess I wasn't surprised cause I did wonder what could theyThis was OK, but a serious let down from the first! Watching this was hard, cause I wanted to like it after watching the first, but like others have said, this was a money grab.I guess I wasn't surprised cause I did wonder what could they possibly do with a second part. Sadly they had no clue just like me. Expand
ninja_dolphinJul 29, 2013
As a huge fan of pixar I had high hopes for this movie after finding the original fairly enjoyable but this film just annoyed me. The worst and most irritating character from the original film (Mater) is made the main focus of this movie,As a huge fan of pixar I had high hopes for this movie after finding the original fairly enjoyable but this film just annoyed me. The worst and most irritating character from the original film (Mater) is made the main focus of this movie, and he is insufferable. In my opinion this character rivals jar-jar binks in terms of being incredibly annoying. The overall plot of the film is a spy flick crossed with some fast and furious for kids action. The portions with mater are annoying and the portions with the racing are nothing new or exciting, I did not laugh at any of the jokes, which compared to pixars other movies, some of which are incredibly funny, is very disappointing. The films animation is top notch, so it is at least nice to look at but other than that the movie is by far the worst pixar has ever created. Expand
WeaselboystFeb 5, 2013
If there was a Pixar film I could trade for to see Pixar movies I missed in theaters, it would easily be Cars 2. Such a huge leap from the first movie. It lacked story and just sped by the running time with guns ablaze and cars exploding. IIf there was a Pixar film I could trade for to see Pixar movies I missed in theaters, it would easily be Cars 2. Such a huge leap from the first movie. It lacked story and just sped by the running time with guns ablaze and cars exploding. I think the violence is justified here since most of the characters are vehicles but there is no reason to turn a sequel into an action film. Expand
JmsbppJul 14, 2013
Pixar jamas ha logrado tan bajo desempeño en sus peliculas se supone que pixar se saca las mejores peliculas no las peores una pelicula que destroza la buena reputacion de Cars.
James3129Jun 12, 2013
Why do people hate this movie, I mean sure its not Pixar's best but it's still great, its a funny spy movie with likeable characters, I mean how could people not like the characters. What's wrong with a spy car, a race car, and a tow truck.Why do people hate this movie, I mean sure its not Pixar's best but it's still great, its a funny spy movie with likeable characters, I mean how could people not like the characters. What's wrong with a spy car, a race car, and a tow truck. This movie is not Pixar's worst movie Expand
AmongstYouAug 26, 2013
I would rate this as a four if it were made by some other studio, but Pixar? We expect better!
The first Cars film was just boring, this one is insipidly stupid. My little sister who is barely past the age of six couldn't enjoy this film.
jeff_reviewsJul 4, 2013
You may call it a crime to like "Cars 2", but I truly did. While its storytelling isn't spectacular and has similar elements that has been done before, it has visuals, humor, and well written scenes that somehow make up for it. "Cars 2" is aYou may call it a crime to like "Cars 2", but I truly did. While its storytelling isn't spectacular and has similar elements that has been done before, it has visuals, humor, and well written scenes that somehow make up for it. "Cars 2" is a kid film that isn't shallow and stupid, it's complex and full of fun energy. It could be the worst Pixar film, but it's better than nearly three-fourths of the animated films that come out today. Expand
reviewmattOct 11, 2013
As a pixar loved, I loved the first cars (well technically all of them), but the second was a BIG MESS! What happened here? boring characters, predictable spy plot and a lot more!
Try harder, Pixar.
FranzHcriticJun 20, 2015
I originally gave this film a '5'. Now, in hindsight, that was being too kind. We deserve more from Pixar, and re-watching the film, not even Mater is funny. The whole film seems to be insulting our intelligence and taunting our genuineI originally gave this film a '5'. Now, in hindsight, that was being too kind. We deserve more from Pixar, and re-watching the film, not even Mater is funny. The whole film seems to be insulting our intelligence and taunting our genuine belief that Pixar can make human films. This is what will shame them for the rest of the company's existence. But after seeing 'Inside Out', I think they've learned from their mistake. Expand
MovieGuysMar 26, 2014
Surprisingly, Cars 2 manages to be better than the first Cars by an iota. The scenes are still cheesy and unnecessarily long, and the story is a bore. Skip it.
FreedomFightersDec 12, 2016
"FINALLY! IT HAPPENED! A PIXAR FILM HAS RECEIVED A "ROTTEN" ON ROTTEN TOMATOES!!! WE CAN FINALLY CELEBRATE!!!"
Okay, fine, you can have your moment, guys (don't worry, that's the last time I'll bring them into this, because I don't want the joke to stale out). After years upon years of critical success, Pixar's first true "misstep" arrived in 2011 in the form of "Cars 2," the sequel that not many were really craving in the first place, but it was made nonetheless and it became the first Pixar film to earn a "rotten" score on Rotten Tomatoes. Harsh, I know. All things considered, though, I personally enjoyed the film. I get why people didn't really like it (it wasn't the most poignant of Pixar films, nor was it the film with the most heart), but all in all, it was a really fun ride with some brilliant animation, exciting action scenes and good voice acting. Sure, it's silly, it's kiddy and it's not what we're used to out of Pixar, but "Cars 2" is still a pretty entertaining romp for the whole family.
joao1198pedroOct 31, 2013
in my opinion thisis the worst film that walt disney pixar has ever made so far,the first movie wasn't so good at all,this second movie is even worst then the first one.
TheCoolGuy99Apr 13, 2014
Cars 2 is a sequel to the 2006 animated film, Cars, once again proves its title over the visionary field of technical excellence. Here, not only the characters are well-voiced but also it's visuals have improved that often looks glorious andCars 2 is a sequel to the 2006 animated film, Cars, once again proves its title over the visionary field of technical excellence. Here, not only the characters are well-voiced but also it's visuals have improved that often looks glorious and stunning. It has many amazing action sequences and exploding scenes but this film is technically does not belong to PIxar's top mastery works. Cars 2 is the only sequel that received a rotten rating from all other rating websites; and the question is, Why? It is because of its carelessly handled storytelling that's so complicated to understand that it wants to become like the greatest action movie you never before seen on animation -- intended to become like a James Bond film or any spy film. So because of that bad storytelling. We can see now that Pixar somehow loses magic and credibility in crafting innovative, original, and outstanding stories which we have seen from its past Academy Award winning films like those of Finding Nemo, Ratatouille, Wall-E, Up, and Toy Story 3. No heartfelt or improving drama, no cleverly crafted gags. Cars 2, fairly, does not belong to the list of the worst animations produced on screen but it is rendered as a mediocre film. Overall, it's still watchable and quite enjoyable for some scenes which are somewhat smart, intelligent and quite funny. Expand
lukechristianscMar 19, 2014
cars two was a better sequel . everything is just like the 50's like james bond . but people and critics hated it it is 99 % true it does suck . but i hope there's not a cars 3 . larry the cable as matter is gay that's not an a opinioncars two was a better sequel . everything is just like the 50's like james bond . but people and critics hated it it is 99 % true it does suck . but i hope there's not a cars 3 . larry the cable as matter is gay that's not an a opinion it is true Expand
DrewtheDude85Apr 1, 2014
If you could use just one word to describe this film, it is pointless. Just a worthless sequel made with probably some of the weakest story telling ever. There was a lot of cliche things in this film that felt so pointless and stupid; theIf you could use just one word to describe this film, it is pointless. Just a worthless sequel made with probably some of the weakest story telling ever. There was a lot of cliche things in this film that felt so pointless and stupid; the characters also didn't feel as memorable in this as they did in the first Cars, they just felt bland and also that addition of making Mater like a secret agent or something, that's just not fitting for the Cars series really when comparing this to the first film. It's a shame that Pixar actually made a film like this, I mean PIXAR! The company that has made so many masterpieces like the Toy Story films, Monsters Inc, Finding Nemo, The Incredibles and Wall-E; now this, Pixar's first film that's only point was just to sell a bunch of toys. I would not recommend this film, after seeing this I was hoping that Pixar would never do something like this again, well apparently they inspired The Planes series, which looks terrible (luckily they are not making those) but it doesn't stop there, Pixar may have pleased a lot of fans announcing The Incredibles 2, but while doing that they also displeased us by announcing Cars 3. This is not Pixar, I remember when every film Pixar made was great and had no intention of just existing just to make money, but to also tell amazing stories. While Pixar isn't completely doomed today (I did like MU), I just wonder if they'll ever make a new film that actually has quality and lives up to their oldest and most classic films. Expand
diogomendesDec 24, 2014
Admittedly impressive on animation level, but annoying and uninspiring on storytelling and dialogue, this Pixar sequel induces some laughs and little else.
Delaforce828Oct 13, 2014
This is sadly Pixar's worst film in terms of the quantity, it loses the special magic that made the original so good for me. It's not one of the worst animated films I've seen, but it's still pretty disappointing seeing this after Toy StoryThis is sadly Pixar's worst film in terms of the quantity, it loses the special magic that made the original so good for me. It's not one of the worst animated films I've seen, but it's still pretty disappointing seeing this after Toy Story 3. Whilst the film looks gorges, has great action, good racing sequences it still doesn't make up for it's unoriginality. Expand
SythusRATINGSOct 19, 2014
Star racecar Lightning McQueen and the incomparable tow truck Mater take their friendship to exciting new places in "Cars 2" when they head overseas to compete in the first-ever World Grand Prix to determine the world's fastest car. But theStar racecar Lightning McQueen and the incomparable tow truck Mater take their friendship to exciting new places in "Cars 2" when they head overseas to compete in the first-ever World Grand Prix to determine the world's fastest car. But the road to the championship is filled with plenty of potholes, detours and hilarious surprises when Mater gets caught up in an intriguing adventure of his own: international espionage. Torn between assisting Lightning McQueen in the high-profile race and towing the line in a top-secret spy mission, Mater’s action-packed journey leads him on an explosive chase through the streets of Japan and Europe, trailed by his friends and watched by the whole world. Adding to the fast-paced fun is a colorful new all-car cast that includes secret agents, menacing villains and international racing competitors. Expand
WheelzFourReelzDec 29, 2014
There is a little bit of fun to be had, but Cars 2 is a very messy and incoherent film that made the fatal mistake of making the comic relief from the first Cars the main character of this one.
emiliomiceli31Jun 24, 2015
cars 2 no me gusto y no se por que hicieron una secuela a su precuela cars de 2006
no me gusto esta pero si la primera y no merece secuela cars 3 es aburrida
AGNJun 19, 2015
Though many of the visuals are winningly vibrant and sleek, what is lacking here is PIXAR's most notable characteristic: a compelling, clever story and boundless heart.

The characters — talking, living cars — are nowhere near as likable,

The characters — talking, living cars — are nowhere near as likable, emotionally rich or complex as the playthings of the Toy Story movies, the rodents of Ratatouille, the undersea creatures of Finding Nemo or the endearing robot of WALL-E.

Where the original Cars (2006) lagged somewhat behind the rest of the exceptional PIXAR pack (I did like the first Cars, though), Cars 2, in computer-animated 3-D, seems to idle in neutral.

The news that the film was directed by John Lassester, the affable Pixar mastermind who gave us the first Toy Story, raised hopes that this would be another Up or Toy Story 3. By the way, UP is one of my favorite movies.

PIXAR movies are so much more evolved than most other fare — animated or live action — that watching Cars 2 feels like stumbling on a Neanderthal amid a corps of advanced Homo sapiens.

Race car champ Lightning McQueen (Owen Wilson) has just returned to Radiator Springs to spend some time with his hometown pals. But almost as soon as he arrives, he's challenged to race overseas in the first World Grand Prix, a contest to determine the world's fastest car. He takes his pit crew buddies along and adds rusty tow truck Mater (Larry the Cable Guy), who means well but botches things up for Lightning.

Mater is such an overgrown toddler that he leaks petrol in excitement. (This gussied-up bathroom humor seems a rare effort to pander to very young viewers.) Lightning faces an arch-rival, Italian race car, Francesco Bernoulli (John Turturro), and Mater gets embroiled in a top-secret spy mission at the behest of British super-spy Finn McMissile (Michael Caine) and his cohort, Holley Shiftwell (Emily Mortimer). Lightning and Mater face a bump in the road when it comes to their long friendship, but the message about loyalty is a sound one.

In contrast to the nostalgia-drenched original, this retread is an amalgam of spy movies, sort of James Bond-lite on auto-pilot though it is a wee more interesting than the first.

Though the locales are more far-flung than Radiator Springs, the movie doesn't benefit from the exotic spots and polyglot voices. A lot of locations are raced through, but the events happening in them are less than fascinating.

A few ingenious action sequences benefit from the 3-D technology, but too much emphasis is placed on explosions, high-octane road races and watered-down global intrigue. Mild humor is passable. But will young kids follow the convoluted mystery surrounding an oilfield and possibly compromised alternative fuel?

Something PIXAR Animation has never been is formulaic. But Cars 2 teeters on the brink. It's not that it's a bad film. But the bar is high, and it's lackluster and predictable, missing that alchemic blend of humor, pathos and indelible characters that give Pixar movies their brilliant shine. And it's a lot more violent.

I feel very bad for the company. Cars 2 felt like a wreck compared to the masterpieces of some other works of PIXAR (Toy Story, Finding Nemo, UP) and it also wrecked the true state of the PIXAR logo. But it's slightly enjoyable. Although Brave and Monsters University are good movies, they didn't fix the true state logo that PIXAR was back then. I am counting days away till Inside Out releases (it's out now) and I definitely know that this movie will fix the state of the true PIXAR logo.

Rating: 5.9/10
Grade: C+ Okay
spongeswiftMar 16, 2017
Cars 2 showed that Pixar is not perfect and that's ok. The story felt very bland and jumbled at times. One thing Pixar does best is pull a bland storyline or a overused plot and make it magic but in Cars 2 the story was anything but magic.Cars 2 showed that Pixar is not perfect and that's ok. The story felt very bland and jumbled at times. One thing Pixar does best is pull a bland storyline or a overused plot and make it magic but in Cars 2 the story was anything but magic. Mcqueen was a jerk in this movie and it irked me that a best friend could be that mean to you if Lightning wasn't such a jerk this movie would've been a 6 but NO they have to make their characters mean so that the plot is a little more interesting and sad. The first 20 minutes of this movie were pretty good but after that it only went downhill. And also they tried to make this to much of a spy movie. Yes the spy plot could've been good in a spinoff Mater centric movie it just got exhausting having to focus on Mater do his spy stuff and focus on Lighting's racing scenes at the same time! Overall some parts of the movie were alright but overall Cars 2 left a bad taste in my mouth Expand
homer4presidentMar 12, 2015
Okay, it was a fairly decent movie. But the dream company, Pixar, didn't add the warmth and feeling. The first I didn't care for much, but it had that love in it. Cars 2 was aesthetically marvelous, but it felt like a small glove. The moveOkay, it was a fairly decent movie. But the dream company, Pixar, didn't add the warmth and feeling. The first I didn't care for much, but it had that love in it. Cars 2 was aesthetically marvelous, but it felt like a small glove. The move didn't feel right. It did not have the Pixas shimmer and secret ingredient, love. Expand
MovieManiac83Apr 24, 2015
It’s never easy coping with the death of an icon, especially for a franchise as intimately associated with that icon as Cars was with Paul Newman. Yet in a shocking miscalculation, the usually brilliant folks over at Pixar coped with Newman’sIt’s never easy coping with the death of an icon, especially for a franchise as intimately associated with that icon as Cars was with Paul Newman. Yet in a shocking miscalculation, the usually brilliant folks over at Pixar coped with Newman’s death in the stupidest possible way—by transforming John Lasseter’s shiny love letter to the automobile into an unabashed vehicle for the hayseed comedy stylings of Larry The Cable Guy. Larry The Cable Guy’s hillbilly tow truck Mater must have sold a lot of toys and played like gangbusters for focus-group respondents, because Cars 2 makes the vehicular redneck its proud centerpiece. That leaves Owen Wilson, the film’s ostensible star, to fret about the state of his relationship with his best friend Mater. Itchy & Scratchy Studios didn’t push Poochie on audiences the way Cars 2 does Mater.

Cars 2 sends Mater and Wilson’s Lightning McQueen on a globe-trotting trek to compete in an international Grand Prix that doubles as a showcase for an amazing new wonder-fuel. In Europe, Mater unwittingly lives out the plot of The Man Who Knew Too Little when he gets entangled in a web of intrigue involving a James Bond-style car voiced by Michael Caine and his more-than-capable associate Holley Shiftwell. Yes, in Cars 2, Mater even gets the girl.

The first Cars was pitched at a much younger audience than the rest of Pixar’s oeuvre; the sequel is pitched even more directly at an even younger audience. It’s difficult to insert scatological humor into a film devoid of human bodily functions, but Cars 2 nevertheless manages to smuggle some in via Mater “leaking fluids” and at one point ending up in a lavatory truck. Cars 2 is so enraptured with Larry The Cable Guy’s persona that it even has Mater spout the comedian’s catchphrases, though the more Mater insists something is just funny right there, the less funny it becomes. This being Pixar, Cars 2 looks fantastic, but the studio has never given audiences—especially audiences over the age of 10—less reason to be emotionally invested in the beautiful shiny things flying across the screen.

(Preceding the film is a clever short from the Toy Story universe involving Ken and Barbie’s crudely improvised Hawaiian vacation. This provides an unflattering reminder of what a really good Pixar sequel looks like.)
moviemaniacsMar 6, 2016
Cars 2, even more than its predecessor, is the Pixar movie that's safe to hate. From the get-go, the franchise's main conceit seems blatantly secondhand: Anthropomorphized toys, anyone? The eye-filling backgrounds (a whirlwind world tourCars 2, even more than its predecessor, is the Pixar movie that's safe to hate. From the get-go, the franchise's main conceit seems blatantly secondhand: Anthropomorphized toys, anyone? The eye-filling backgrounds (a whirlwind world tour reduced to theme-park caricature, and I mean that in a nice way) and photo-real textures fail to compensate for the lack of variety in individual character animation. After a while, all I could see when I looked at Lightning McQueen, Mater, or anyone else, was a matched pair of craft-store googly eyes, pasted onto whiteboard, its expression as variable as the positioning of a foreskin-like uni-lid would allow, itself a concept lifted from Mike Wazowski, the one-eyed hero of Monsters, Inc.

The discrepancy between the photo-real and the slapdash effectively neutralizes any talk of Cars 2 being a work of great animation. It's a worse problem than the uncanny valley, the most commonly leveled charge against Robert Zemeckis's underrated Beowulf and A Christmas Carol; say what you will about dead eyes and a crack squad of Tom Hankses doing backflips, at least there's a consistency of tone, a unifying creative force. Cars 2 looks like the work of multiple committees completing various objectives, with varying degrees of success.

Which is a shame, because the brilliant unification of über-talented groups of tech and creative whiz kids—groupthink touched by the hand of God—is the alibi that grants Pixar safe haven from even its most vehement critics. Considered as a body of work, the Pixar feature films represent the Platonic ideal of corporate Hollywood: a perfect amalgam of verisimilitude and candy-color expressionism; humor that slaloms from puerile to Oscar Wilde without hitting any bumps; Spielbergian escapism and crisply choreographed action sequences; validation of that amorphous cloud of “humanist values” that no one can really describe in great detail, but which seems to have best been illustrated by the incinerator sequence in Toy Story 3.

Adding insult to injury is an unfocused script that relies heavily on some of the most unfortunate screenwriting clichés of post-1980s Hollywood. One, in particular, stands out: the “friends who have a falling out because one of them is a hopeless imbecile and the other one says so, only to reconcile just in time for the big finish,” which I believe dates back to 1992's Pauly Shore vehicle Encino Man. This cliché is infuriating because it argues that an already implausible friendship grants absolution to all manner of lunatic, anti-social, and destructive behavior. If this sounds prudish on my part, consider the TV scripts of Joss Whedon, whose own career was jumpstarted by co-writing the Oscar-nominated script for the original Toy Story. Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, and Firefly are rife with characters making bad, selfish, or just plain lunkheaded decisions, but never without consequences. Consider the scene where Mal nearly throws Jayne out of the airlock, and the genuine uncertainty as to whether or not he'll really do it—that's the kind of drama Cars 2 could have benefited from, big time.

That said, while the craft is sometimes shoddy, the photorealism is there solely for our kneejerk admiration (my my, how long that metallic sheen must have taken to render!), and the **** script is altogether unworthy of the legacy of Ratatouille, Up, WALL-E, or even the first Cars, there are isolated moments of pleasure, most of them in a cold open that meticulously recreates an outlandish James Bond espionage and escape sequence. The high point is the cold open to the cold open, a video left by an intrepid undercover agent, a visually incoherent stitch of animation that, in its abstraction, makes for a refreshing change from the exhausting “clarity of line” that governs, and fails to redeem, most of the rest of the film.
BoogeeFilmGuyJul 13, 2015
I thought the first Cars film was a fun movie experience. It wasn't Pixars best, but it was still an enjoyable movie. This, however? I feel like this was made to sell merchandise so that Disney and Pixar could make some quick cash. I mean, itI thought the first Cars film was a fun movie experience. It wasn't Pixars best, but it was still an enjoyable movie. This, however? I feel like this was made to sell merchandise so that Disney and Pixar could make some quick cash. I mean, it made $27.5 million on opening weekend! Plus all the merchandise, both Disney and Pixar would be rolling in it! This film was a pretty lousy waste of time. Definitely Pi thxars worst film yet. It wasn't worth the price of admission. I found the race flag I got when I saw it in 2011 and I chopped it into little pieces. Was that too cruel? Expand
CineAutoctonoJul 21, 2015
I stayed there until fame Lightning McQueen , and Mater the star is wearing, but hey, the scripts change, for me the movie is very good , but say it is the worst pelicua PIXAR That being so I do not more you put a 5.
DanBurritoSep 27, 2015
Like the first, this was not great but not very bad either. The transition from the "Hot-shot comes to small town and learns life lessons" theme of the first to a spy movie was a bit odd but there were still some entertaining gags. Mater wasLike the first, this was not great but not very bad either. The transition from the "Hot-shot comes to small town and learns life lessons" theme of the first to a spy movie was a bit odd but there were still some entertaining gags. Mater was a great part of the first so it was nice to see him get more screen time. And it was clever to have the James Bond parody be an Aston Martin but it was a bit weak in parts. Perhaps this wouldn't be a problem if we hadn't come to expect so much from Pixar but we have. Who knows-maybe Cars 3 will be better. Maybe it'll be a third time lucky situation. But the movie does have it's charms, it's by no means bad. Just a bit disappointing compared to most Pixar films. Expand
diegonelliSep 13, 2015
I enjoyed this film more than the first. I love that spy story where Mater involves. It's a funny film! Why too many dislikers... anyway I'm not a huge fan and I'm not really waiting for the 3 because I don't think it's necessary.
EpicLadySpongeDec 27, 2015
Is it just me or did Pixar focus way too much on the action than on their beautiful moments they have done in the past? (Toy Story 3, Up, WALL-E, etc.) In this movie, Mater is the protagonist rather than Lightning McQueen. They're off toIs it just me or did Pixar focus way too much on the action than on their beautiful moments they have done in the past? (Toy Story 3, Up, WALL-E, etc.) In this movie, Mater is the protagonist rather than Lightning McQueen. They're off to Tokyo, Japan. After that, the movie went down too hard. This isn't James Bond or Mission: Impossible. We don't need a sequel to Cars. We don't even need Cars 3. Expand
tobeeryDec 29, 2015
It's easy on the eyes but it doesn't have anywhere near as much as heart and depth as some other Pixar greats. I wasn't overly keen on the first film so a second one seemed pretty redundant.
DavidTejadaSep 16, 2016
I'm ashamed for writing this but.. VARIETY AND ROLLING STONE HAVE REALLY SUCKED in this review. Finally Pixar has crafted it worst movie ever. Why do they even tried to make a sequel which it first part had no succeed ? It has nothing to showI'm ashamed for writing this but.. VARIETY AND ROLLING STONE HAVE REALLY SUCKED in this review. Finally Pixar has crafted it worst movie ever. Why do they even tried to make a sequel which it first part had no succeed ? It has nothing to show unless some improves in their animation. For first time in my life, I ate a Pixar movie. Expand
MovieManiac1994Jan 4, 2016
Of all Pixar's alti-verses, the one in Cars is the hardest to buy into. Motors with eyes for windshields, pootling about a four-wheeled world modeled on auto parts? It may be John Lasseter's pride and joy, but for us it's missing some keyOf all Pixar's alti-verses, the one in Cars is the hardest to buy into. Motors with eyes for windshields, pootling about a four-wheeled world modeled on auto parts? It may be John Lasseter's pride and joy, but for us it's missing some key components.

Internal logic for one. Charm. Car-isma...

Ok, so the 2006 original eventually won us over with its fish-out-of-water storyline and its nostalgic passion for Americana. But not so much that we were craving another outing for Lightning McQueen and his tow-truck mate Mater, hardly the Butch and Sundance of the animated fraternity.

Seemingly guessing as much, the Emeryville elite seek to woo us with a pre-feature short, Hawaiian Vacation, that joyously reunites the Toy Story gang. Sadly, like a clapped-out banger, this gambit backfires. We love Buzz and Woody, while we merely tolerate Mater and McQueen. Why waft champagne under our noses when we are really getting Car-va?

To be fair, Cars 2 begins well with a Bondian prologue which sees suave superspy Finn McMissile - voice Michael Caine, body DB5 - sneak onto an offshore oil platform at the centre of a global gasoline conspiracy.

Goldfinger gags abound in the ensuing mayhem, raising hopes that Lasseter has heeded the critics and upped the ante accordingly. But once the action defaults to Radiator Springs, the movie springs a leak, mostly by putting clueless hick Mater centre stage.

Yes, it is Owen Wilson's hotshot racer who gets invited to compete in a World Grand Prix that whisks him to Japan (Geishas, neon), Italy (Popemobile) and Britain (Big Bentley, Tyre Bridge). But it's Mater who gets embroiled in McMissile's mission, a convoluted caper involving alternative fuel, millionaire mogul Miles Axlerod (Eddie Izzard) and rookie agent Holley Shiftwell (Emily Mortimer).

Mater scuppering an assassination attempt in a Tokyo restroom. Mater careering around an international airport. Mater infiltrating a villain convention in elaborate disguise. Yes, we sure do get a lot of the bumbling rust-bucket this time around, testing our patience for Larry the Cable Guy's hillbilly schtick to braking point.

True, the picture is punctuated by three thrilling race meets that find McQueen and tutti-frutti nemesis Francesco Bernoulli (John Turturro) justifying the now obligatory 3D as they negotiate spectacular Scalextric-style courses.

What should be highlights though have more than a clutch of afterthought, particularly during an extended London-set climax more interested in the plastic attached to Mater's carburettor (some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!) than who gets to the finish line first.

Cars' popularity with the kids ensures a large and enthusiastic audience will turn up for the sequel.

Yet where Pixar's other films have captivated across the board, Cars 2 could leave some grown-ups feeling tired.

There's more going on than there was in Cars and the globe-trotting's a gas. But compared to the pick of the Pixar pack, this is some way down the grid.
FilmMasterEdJan 6, 2016
As Pixar tradition dictates, Cars 2 stars with a short. Hawaiian Vacation revisits the Toy Story gang who, after Ken and Barbie are left behind from Bonnie’s summer holiday, recreate a perfect tropical idyll for the Mattel lovebirds to shareAs Pixar tradition dictates, Cars 2 stars with a short. Hawaiian Vacation revisits the Toy Story gang who, after Ken and Barbie are left behind from Bonnie’s summer holiday, recreate a perfect tropical idyll for the Mattel lovebirds to share their first kiss. It is pitch-perfect Pixar: a strong set-up delivered with jokes, filmmaking flair, perfect character moments — Mr. Pricklepants’ alien audition is genius — smarts and sentiment, all topped off with a post-credits payoff that works a treat.

This reminder of Pixar’s high benchmark doesn’t make life any easier for Cars 2. Coming off the back of the studio’s least favourably reviewed film — it currently sits at 74 per cent at Rotten Tomatoes — and one of its lower-grossing flicks (it made $462 million worldwide so it’s all relative), the movie has built itself up into a franchise through a series of shorts and spin-off merchandise. A kind of Doc Hollywood with a NASCAR replacing Michael J. Fox, the original was that rare children’s film that suggested you ease up a bit, live life in the slow lane. This time round, things have been amped up considerably, transplanting hot rod Lightning McQueen and thicko tow truck Mater not only into a globe-trotting Grand Prix, but also into a slick espionage flick circa 1966. The two strands never really cohere, but deliver enough spy-cool, visual fizz and comedic touches to entertain.

From the retro fittings of The Incredibles to WALL•E’s adoration of Hello Dolly, Pixar has always been enamoured with ’60s pop culture, and Cars 2 positively thrums with it. From Michael Giacchino’s stupidly catchy Finn McMissile guitar riffs, to a delight in gizmos and gadgetry, to impenetrable coded secret-agent greetings, this is a love letter not only to 007, but also to American counterparts like The Man From U. N. C. L. E. and Get Smart. A terrific opening set-piece sees Michael Caine’s Finn McMissile, an Aston Martin overflowing with Q Department firepower, infiltrate the baddies’ oil rig and the subsequent escape is a potent reminder that Pixar can hold its own against anybody in the action stakes. Be it a nighttime Tokyo race or a high-speed runway rumpus courtesy of Jason Isaacs’ spy plane, Cars 2 is at its best when it is on the move.

It is in the bits between the action, the Pixar specialities of plot points and character beats, that the movie does less well. The narrative is admirably complicated — everyone is chasing a camera which can generate an electro-magnetic pulse that can destroy the cars mid race — but offers little in the way of surprises. There are tons of new characters but, save the Brit spy duo of McMissile and Emily Mortimer’s Holley Shiftwell and John Turturro’s Formula 1 demon Francesco Bernoulli, few register.

It is also hard to remember a more talk-driven Pixar movie, but little of the dialogue crackles or pops. There are first-base jokes about cultural difference, wasabi mistaken for ice cream hijinks, over-emotional Italians and wrong-side-of-the-road gags. The relationship dynamics between McQueen and Mater are too simply drawn, the moralising, as McQueen asks his gauche friend to change to fit into the wider world, too on the nose. It’ll play perfectly for the young but, for once with Pixar, that’s all it does.

As ever, there are stunning little grace notes (watch the mud speckle the camera as the race cars speed by), lovingly realised street scenes and the frame is filled with inspired visual puns. But the film never truly finds its mojo, its heartbeat. If you want a barometer of the difference between top-drawer Pixar and Cars 2, you could do worse than listen to the songs. Randy Newman’s songs for the Toy Story series are smart, charming and heartfelt. Country star Brad Paisley’s tunes are pleasant but forgettable. The former will last for the ages. The latter works well enough for now.
gameguardian21Mar 14, 2016
While the animation is still great, the story, humor, and dumb plot is not what I expected from this sequel. I liked the first cars, as it had a lesson and emotional moments. But this is not that movie.
FuturedirectorMar 13, 2016
Cars 2 is, of course one of the worst Pixar films, with unbelievable characters and a bad story, some kind of inappropriate for younger vewiers, a bad direction and not much color as the first one. With an unremarkable protagonist, down-beatCars 2 is, of course one of the worst Pixar films, with unbelievable characters and a bad story, some kind of inappropriate for younger vewiers, a bad direction and not much color as the first one. With an unremarkable protagonist, down-beat succes, and a bit boring story-telling, Cars 2 goes down. Expand
Shadow1May 17, 2016
I love First Cars and Second Cars and I hard to say that the cooler , but both games I put 9/10 . In Cars 2 there is a good storyline and this movie is a good sequel for Cars . I am waiting Cars 3 . I watched this movie in 2013 and it wasI love First Cars and Second Cars and I hard to say that the cooler , but both games I put 9/10 . In Cars 2 there is a good storyline and this movie is a good sequel for Cars . I am waiting Cars 3 . I watched this movie in 2013 and it was very interesting to me . In this game a lot of cool characters . 9/10 . Very good and amazing cartoon . Expand
PikabrawlerApr 1, 2016
Although the animation is spot on and the characters are good enough... Pixars team of writers truly need a big, lengthy car wash after this let down.
Muskrat147Jul 13, 2016
Though boasting impressive visuals, Cars 2 is an unnecessary sequel with a thin and convoluted plot, unlikable characters, a long run-time, and a lack of heart and emotion.
superbatSep 18, 2016
WORST. PIXAR. MOVIE. EVER. Cars 2 is an unfunny, lazy, boring piece of **** This is a pathetic attempt by Pixar to grab people's cash. Big waste of my time.
SilcaJul 20, 2016
I'm a huge fan of Pixar, but not of the Cars franchise. Despite that, I still think they were decent movies. The plot of Cars 2 is pretty unique and pays homage to classics spy movies. Does it fail miserably? I wouldn't say so. Despite theI'm a huge fan of Pixar, but not of the Cars franchise. Despite that, I still think they were decent movies. The plot of Cars 2 is pretty unique and pays homage to classics spy movies. Does it fail miserably? I wouldn't say so. Despite the lack of heart of most Pixar movies, this movie is surprisingly dark for their standards. Death is common and even torture is seen. While I think it's rather inappropriate for a family movie, I'm particularly fine with such themes and I kind of enjoyed it. The plot is not that good and I can't stand Mate, but at least we got explosions for some cheap entertainment. Expand
E-moonJul 18, 2016
Ok i loved this movie and the last movie but heck doc hudson my favorite character was not! And yes I know he died of cancer but still its the people who wants him to be in the movie, they should have use picked a new voice actor and the carsOk i loved this movie and the last movie but heck doc hudson my favorite character was not! And yes I know he died of cancer but still its the people who wants him to be in the movie, they should have use picked a new voice actor and the cars 3 which is comming is roughly 1 year i really with doc hudson will show up he better show up! and that is the only reason why i gave this movie 8 and not 10 overall the action and violence well it was very mild and i'd say people are being irrational because the film it self is very good for example the kids who watched it when they were say 8 then cars 2 came out they will be 13 which fits perfectly but i do reccomend this film Expand
lrbohnertNov 25, 2016
Ratatouille, Wall.E, The Incredibles, Finding Nemo, Monsters Inc, Up: the list of beloved Pixar movies is long. One of the few that’s almost never cited is Cars. But John Lasseter’s one-dimensional and visually sub-stellar 2006 tribute toRatatouille, Wall.E, The Incredibles, Finding Nemo, Monsters Inc, Up: the list of beloved Pixar movies is long. One of the few that’s almost never cited is Cars. But John Lasseter’s one-dimensional and visually sub-stellar 2006 tribute to American auto culture did rake in an awful lot of merchandise money. Its reboot, Cars 2 – is equally so-so.
The last film was a tribute to Route 66, the American west and a 1951 Hudson Hornet. It was set in Radiator Springs, a place that its hero Lightning McQueen (voiced by Owen Wilson) dismissed at first as “hillbilly hell” before learning to love its decent, old-school ways. In Cars 2, Lasseter and co-director Brad Lewis have gone down the export route, relocating the action to Italy, Japan and swinging London.
McQueen heads to these cities to compete in a World Grand Prix organised by oil tycoon Miles Axlerod (Eddie Izzard) as a showcase for his alternative energy business. He’s accompanied by pal Mater (Larry the Cable Guy), a rusty pick-up truck, who initially embarrasses him, but later, when it turns out that a plan has been hatched to blow up the champ, saves him with feats of bravery and ingenuity.
SomePersonaFeb 10, 2017
The only real reason people seriously despise this movie is that it is about cars. They complain about the consumerism and the merchandising yet forget that that is what most of the movie industry is. They say it is fine that every otherThe only real reason people seriously despise this movie is that it is about cars. They complain about the consumerism and the merchandising yet forget that that is what most of the movie industry is. They say it is fine that every other company has sequels, yet they go mad when Pixar makes one. Why does Pixar have to be shamed for making a sequel, now? Even with the fact that this movie is a sequel, it has great writing and character development, and the animation is luscious and fantastic; there are little details everywhere. It should also be said that people think it's some dumb comedy; did they not watch the movie? It's an action flick, and it's a smart one at that. Expand
McJuggerThunderApr 15, 2017
Pixar spent too much time on the visuals, and not enough time on the plot, leaving Cars 2 stuck in neutral. This wasn't a good pixar movie at all. Pixar should have tried harder.