7.2

1. Jul 21, 2015
    Another good for PIXAR . In case you speak but have to live adventures and races to go , the great fun and well-remembered movie , an adventure of speed, braking and accidents, just an adventure on wheels.
  2. Jul 6, 2015
    O mundo dessa animação é confusa e intrigante, é divertida mas o universo de Cars não é aquela animação que seria apropriada para assistir, algo apenas para mentes infantis.
  3. May 23, 2015
    I guess from 2006 till now is a long way, but even now, I find this animation fabulous ( after years and years of several minutes sequences and never seen the full animation ).

Pros: - Enchanting animation - Humour - Story - Back Story Cons: - Lenght - Slow Start - Gets boring I like a lot the idea of replacing EVERY MOVEMENT THING with CARS. This is a great idea, amongst

Pros:
    - Enchanting animation
    - Humour
    - Story
    - Back Story

Cons:
    - Lenght
    - Slow Start
    - Gets boring

I like a lot the idea of replacing EVERY MOVEMENT THING with CARS. This is a great idea, amongst other Pixar's. But this is one of those movies that you will see and hardly remember about it, maybe forget it exists. Looking forward to see the sequels.
  4. Apr 24, 2015
    It’s a testament to the ludicrously high standards Pixar has set itself that Cars can be considered in any way a disappointment. It leaves the CG output of every other studio choking in its spectacularly rendered dust, yet somehow, somewhere in this well-oiled, staggeringly beautiful machine somebody has omitted a small but crucial cog. It just doesn’t quite run with the smooth hum of funIt’s a testament to the ludicrously high standards Pixar has set itself that Cars can be considered in any way a disappointment. It leaves the CG output of every other studio choking in its spectacularly rendered dust, yet somehow, somewhere in this well-oiled, staggeringly beautiful machine somebody has omitted a small but crucial cog. It just doesn’t quite run with the smooth hum of fun we’ve come to expect of history’s greatest animation house.

There is no question that Cars is Pixar’s greatest visual achievement. Those geniuses chez Lightyear have long recognised that the best computer animation is not obsessed with realism but detail (just look at the sinister Polar Express to see how off-putting it can be when that balance is out of whack). Everything in Cars is clearly of a bulbous, shiny cartoon world, but is so exquisitely crafted that the reflection off the hood of a speeding racer or the neon miasma bathing a midnight town is almost enough to make you openly weep in the cinema. There is not a single flaw on the face of this film; it’s like Angelina Jolie with hubcaps.

Pretty visuals are only part of what we’ve come to expect of the Pixar experience, though. As a piece of storytelling, Cars sometimes has a sluggishness that is all the more surprising considering it’s directed by animation god John Lasseter, back behind the wheel for the first time since Toy Story 2. With a core message about getting out of the fast lane and enjoying the slow scenic route, it’s a story designed for a middle-aged man, not a sugar-fuelled pre-teen for whom the fast lane is never fast enough — and like any middle-aged man, it’s carrying a little excess flab.

It starts lean and energetic. The opening, featuring cocksure racer Lightning McQueen whizzing around the track, is a breakneck action sequence that could sit happily in any live-action film. In animation, editing and pacing it is near flawless, and one of the most exciting scenes of the summer. So when a later motorway mishap lands McQueen in the derelict town of Radiator Springs, where the most spectacular auto is an emotionally unstable fire engine and a day when holidaying people-carriers pop through is considered eventful, it’s hard not to yearn for the heady roar of the race track.

It’s not that McQueen’s cohorts in the town are dull; it’s just that they’re not especially funny. With the possible exception of rustbucket tow-truck Mater, it’s unlikely you’ll remember any of them after the closing credits in the same way you do such incidental characters as Toy Story’s Rex, mini-Incredible Jack-Jack or that stoned surfer turtle from Finding Nemo. Pixar without funny is like Disney without animal sidekicks or Miyazaki without that bit you didn’t really understand but still kinda liked — it’s recognisable, but it just feels off.

In contrast with the film’s message, Radiator Springs is a nice place to hang out for a while, but you wouldn’t want to live there. Which makes it a great relief when the movie’s ending turns out to be such a humdinger. Bringing the slow and fast lanes together in glorious fashion, it makes sense of the movie’s duller sections and uses them to invest the action with emotion. It’s a finale so full of joy, imagination and technical brilliance that you forgive Lasseter the previous storytelling flaws and, teamed with what might be the greatest Pixar credits gag to date, means you’ll leave the movie on a petrol-induced high.
  5. Apr 6, 2015
    cars I not bad but it forgettable. cars pilot is boring the charters are okay. the ending was the best part of the film and it's not a charter wins the race.
  6. Mar 12, 2015
    Cars, while not quite as an intriguing idea as the other films in the Pixar canon, was pulled off very imaginatively. The storytelling is brilliant, as well as the animation techniques. The only thing that sets this film behind the other Pixar films is the less interesting idea compared to looking at the hidden going-on of toys, bugs, monsters, and fish. Yet, however, you look at it, itCars, while not quite as an intriguing idea as the other films in the Pixar canon, was pulled off very imaginatively. The storytelling is brilliant, as well as the animation techniques. The only thing that sets this film behind the other Pixar films is the less interesting idea compared to looking at the hidden going-on of toys, bugs, monsters, and fish. Yet, however, you look at it, it almost seems that the people over at Pixar Studios just can't make a stinker. Expand
  7. Feb 7, 2015
    Cars is a really fun movie. The movie is really well written and the characters have so much personality it seems like they are so much more than just cars. Owen Wilson is always great at playing a role in a family film and Larry the Cable Guy get his most notable role as Mater, what a funny voice to have in an animated film.
  8. Dec 5, 2014
    In this movie, the protagonist from the city is emotionally unbalanced and has lessons to learn. The supporting characters from a small town are wise and help teach him those lessons. If you feel that cities are good and small towns are bad, then you won't like this movie.
  9. Oct 19, 2014
    This is a fast-paced comedy adventure set inside the world of cars. Fueled with plenty of humor, action, heartfelt drama and amazing new technical feats, Cars is a high octane delight for moviegoers of all ages.
  10. Oct 13, 2014
    A lot of people consider this to be Pixar's weakest film, but I really enjoyed it. The film definitely takes me back to my childhood and my love of vehicles. The story is pretty simple but I would give it a pass because it doesn't distract the film at all. I thought Mater was going to be annoying, but he was actually alright. But other than that the characters are memorable, the racing isA lot of people consider this to be Pixar's weakest film, but I really enjoyed it. The film definitely takes me back to my childhood and my love of vehicles. The story is pretty simple but I would give it a pass because it doesn't distract the film at all. I thought Mater was going to be annoying, but he was actually alright. But other than that the characters are memorable, the racing is fabulous, and it has a lot of heart-warming moments. Expand
  11. Sep 11, 2014
    "Carros" nunca me atraiu tanto. Ele é um filme mediano que tem uma história também mediana. É um filme assistível,mas que pode ser passado direto por outros filmes da Pixar.
  12. Aug 17, 2014
    In spite of its visually arresting CGI and a solid story, "Cars" features bland, stereotypical characters and frustrates with its cliches. Better than other Disney releases in the 2000s, this 2006 film is generally enjoyable but hardly a classic.
  13. Mar 26, 2014
    Even when I was at the age range to like this movie, I thought it was tedious, painful to watch, and very unsatisfying. Anything that you want to happen doesn't. It's like the opposite of a feel-good movie.
  14. Mar 15, 2014
    Whether the movie will make you believe a shocking-orange stock car has a future with a lavender Carrera, it's more fun to follow than a televised freeway chase.
  15. Nov 15, 2013
    I thought that "Cars", even at 117 minutes, is slightly overlong. The film is quite dull in places where nothing exciting is happening. The film also lacks a script with some emotion, however, the animation is fabulous. Prepare yourself for some exciting car-racing scenes!
  16. Nov 13, 2013
    Pixar rides in another victory.
    Cars is entertaining and fun with less story as its creators previous work. Lightning McQueen and the bunch find moments of emotion, but mainly just a fun flick.
  17. Nov 12, 2013
    Up until this film's release, the concept of anthropomorphism in animation seemed tepidly dated. 'Cars' changes that, with a heartwarming tale of a selfish ego's self-realization with his lifestyle. only in "car-form", and with amazing voice acting from the Cable Guy, it makes the whole film a laughing riot. A great Pixar comedy.
  18. Oct 31, 2013
    after greatest films finnaly the pixar animation studios got wrong with this medium film,i was expecting a lot this film,but it didn't made anything good for the company.
  19. Aug 26, 2013
    Cars is formulaic and boring. Hardly clever and stumbles in parts you'd think it succeed in.
    Though, it's not terrible. It plays it safe just enough to only be mediocre, rather than awful. Besides... Cars 2 showed us that things could get far worse.
  20. Jul 4, 2013
    Was Pixar's Cars their finest no. But was it a good film yes.
    Was Pixar's Cars their finest no. But was it a good film yes.
    Much flack has been given on "Cars", but in no way would I give it nearly much negative response. There are a few that bump it down, as Lightning McQueen lacked much charm and appealed to several kids rather than adults, and while the story is slow pacing, the message behind it is powerful. The town of Radiator Springs is believable; it is a visual wonder and realistic, and the characters are charming,... well almost. Tow Mater was one of the only characters that I though could use less emphasis on, as he was basically comic relief. Other characters like Doc and Sally had sad stories to tell, and brought emotion to the film. The story of Radiator Springs and the freeway is truly saddening, and the song "Our Town" in the movie is wonderful. Since this movie is also about cars, alot of spectacle is put on a car's vision of things, and its truly hilarious to watch. Despite this, "Cars" does lack some of the elements of Pixar's finest (too much cheap humor, slow plot, mostly to appeal to kids), but it's no way bad. "Cars" is far from the worst in anything and is truly a delight.
  21. Apr 26, 2013
    Good, fun, simple... Dont have so much to say, just a good movie to watch and laugh.
    The script is a criticism to fame and arrogance. Is a right choice to watch with your children.
  22. Apr 25, 2013
    This movie is just a ripoff of Thomas the Tank Engine and Friends, and even then Thomas was realistic and was way better this piece of crap. The fact that a superstar gets stuck in a lone, western city is very cliche. This not a good movie, no matter what the audience is. 5/10
  23. Mar 27, 2013
    A perfect film for children that has a strong story and likable characters. The first time I saw this film, I was not impressed, but after one more viewing, I changed my mind completely.
  24. Jan 23, 2013
    A really underappreciated movie, ranked as one of Pixar's worst. I disagree completely, thinking that it is one of Pixar's best. Cars is very creative and quite often very funny.
  25. Dec 23, 2012
    Although Cars is packed with visual stunners, it features a formulaic, bored plot that defines the slow death and decline of Pixar from films like 'Toy Story' and 'The Incredibles' to 'Brave' and 'Cars 2'.
  26. Dec 8, 2012
    A great animated film that causes children to experience the action experience and tenderness.
  27. Nov 9, 2012
    A Pixar first in that the story is nowhere near as good as the animation. It certainly is not bad, but it is the first Pixar film that is not outstanding.
  28. Nov 9, 2012
    The black sheep of Pixar films. Still...a quality movie.
  29. Jul 30, 2012
    Cars gets a bad rap from some people. It's not nearly as good as films like WALL-E and The Incredibles, but it's still a solid movie with some really nice emotional touches. It also has the distinction of being one of the most absolutely gorgeous films Pixar has ever made.
  30. Jun 30, 2012
    Cars is an okay movie, but the sequel is a mess. I'm not a fan of the merchandise they have so far and quite possibly the most overrated movie in Pixar's 17-year run. Although it can't match the success of the Toy Story series, Finding Nemo, The Incredibles, or Monsters, Inc., but it has a lot of great racing action and a slew of characters like Lightning McQueen and Mater. Well, probablyCars is an okay movie, but the sequel is a mess. I'm not a fan of the merchandise they have so far and quite possibly the most overrated movie in Pixar's 17-year run. Although it can't match the success of the Toy Story series, Finding Nemo, The Incredibles, or Monsters, Inc., but it has a lot of great racing action and a slew of characters like Lightning McQueen and Mater. Well, probably I'll rent the movie, but I hope Pixar could make a better Cars movie or else I'll stay home watching Toy Story 3. Expand
  31. May 28, 2012
    One Of The Most Uncreative Movies Of All Time!
    My 5 Year Old Sister Could Of Though Of Talking Cars..
    Very Very Overated! Movies Like This Make Me Mad That Noone In The USA Knows What Studio Ghibli Is.
  32. May 25, 2012
    Maybe not as good as the "Toy Story" series or not as good as "Ratatouille", but this is a very good film. The graphics are very good. The plot is just "so-so". The characters are great especially Lightning McQueen, who has great personality. Despite these positive features in the movie, the movie didn't meet with my expectations, especially the fact that this is a Pixar film...............
  33. Mar 30, 2012
    Pixar has finally screwed up. The near perfection at making movie for children and adults falls flat. Cars seems to be appealing to only kids with massive stupidity everywhere. Lets just hope Pixar can find its magic again next year.
  34. Mar 2, 2012
    Don't think of it as a below average Pixar film. Think of it as a fun standalone experience because that is what it truly is. Lightning McQueen and Mater are some of the best characters to come from a computer-animated movie, and thats what makes it entertaining: The characters.
  35. Jan 2, 2012
    Look Pixar's Cars is hard to love because you know they are cars, but the film is packed with so much heart it fills you up inside. I give this movie a strong 68%.
  36. Nov 7, 2011
    The animation is flashy but the story is as dull as any other animated movie. There was nothing that was special about this movie, the characters were forgettable, the scenes uninspired and the inner message falls flat. Cars is not bad but I rank it the lowest of all Pixar animations. Pass on this one.
  37. Sep 18, 2011
    Pixar's "Cars" is a visual masterpiece with a good morale planted within the movie. However, if I am correct that this company was the creator of "Toy Story" and "WALL-E", I expect more.
  38. Aug 25, 2011
    The premise is just dead on arrival. Really? Cars? That isn't an idea for a Pixar movie that's an idea for a second rate PC game to teach kids about the importance of sharing. In fact, everything about Cars feels second-rate. The story is surprisingly unimaginative and cliched, which I wouldn't mind so much if Pixar had done it well. But they didn't. Cars doesn't have the same touch thatThe premise is just dead on arrival. Really? Cars? That isn't an idea for a Pixar movie that's an idea for a second rate PC game to teach kids about the importance of sharing. In fact, everything about Cars feels second-rate. The story is surprisingly unimaginative and cliched, which I wouldn't mind so much if Pixar had done it well. But they didn't. Cars doesn't have the same touch that other Pixar movies did. It isn't as original as Toy Story. It isn't as well animated as The Incredibles. It isn't as touching as Finding Nemo. It isn't as inventive as Monsters, Inc. Cars feels like a lazy effort to ride on the coattails of The Incredibles and other Pixar movies. The drama is recycled, and surprisingly shallow, the animation is average by standards, and the comedy... don't even get me started. Expand
  39. Aug 12, 2011
    An underrated, character driven Pixar effort that has all the right aspects to stand up to the rest of their movies. It has a great retro and hometown theme with two very impressive race sequences, beautiful visuals and automobile characters as relatable and real as any live-action ones
  40. Aug 7, 2011
    WOAH WOAH WOAH . How can the movie cars recieve a lower review then Ratatouille ? That movie was not only a waste of time but had no base no moral , My kids were asking to go home or to the mall it was a COMPLETE waste of time. Who cares about a Rat that can cook pullling a mans hair ? The commercial Was a 10/10 but the movie was a full blown 1 . Cars is a great movie , i see nothing wrongWOAH WOAH WOAH . How can the movie cars recieve a lower review then Ratatouille ? That movie was not only a waste of time but had no base no moral , My kids were asking to go home or to the mall it was a COMPLETE waste of time. Who cares about a Rat that can cook pullling a mans hair ? The commercial Was a 10/10 but the movie was a full blown 1 . Cars is a great movie , i see nothing wrong in it. And im the one whos a picky movie chooser. Walle put me to sleep yet people raved about it. In my opinion critics are still upset about the cars talking , build a bridge get over it .If full grown adults have a problem with lions ants monsters cars or anything talking in pixar movies , Quit watchin em . This movie is one of the best pixar movies to date. If you wanna complain about a movie that sucks , watch cars 2. But cars 1 by no means is a incomplete movie etc. Its very well put together etc. My opinion and I Really dont care what anyone has to say bout it. It is a 100 / 100 for me and many others. Good day haters. Expand
  41. Jul 25, 2011
    I know why it's considered Pixar's weakest flick. The animation is beautiful as always and like the design of the vehicles, the big drawback is that the plot is unoriginal as it takes plot threads from Doc Hollywood and Days of Thunder. Another thing is that the characters are underdeveloped not even the voices of Owen Wilson, Paul Newman, George Carlin and the stereotypical redneck LarryI know why it's considered Pixar's weakest flick. The animation is beautiful as always and like the design of the vehicles, the big drawback is that the plot is unoriginal as it takes plot threads from Doc Hollywood and Days of Thunder. Another thing is that the characters are underdeveloped not even the voices of Owen Wilson, Paul Newman, George Carlin and the stereotypical redneck Larry the Cable Guy can save this from being a snooze fest. What really killed it from winning an Oscar for Best Animated Feature was the soundtrack (which includes Rascal Flatt's butchering rendition of Tom Cochrane's Life Is A Highway) and the merchandise including video games, toys books and those Mater shorts including the one where he battles against Japanese drifters which was shown before Bolt. It's almost as though Pixar thought made so many good films and need a weak one to even it out.
    Those who loved Pixar from the beginning may have to skip it or give it a rental. It may entertain kids, but anybody over 12 might feel alienated.
  42. Jul 10, 2011
    Could be the best Pixar film?

Well in my eyes it is, im a child at heart and i love this film. I am looking forward to number 2 despite the mixed reviews it has had.
  43. Jul 5, 2011
    Cars is another great Pixar film. I don't know why critics are giving it such bad reviews. sure, it is't on par with the Toy Story series or Finding Nemo, but it is still a great movie.
  44. Jul 5, 2011
    Disney/Pixar's Cars revolves around Lightning McQueen, a hotshot rookie race car driven to succeed, discovers that life is about the journey, not the finish line, when he finds himself unexpectedly detoured in the sleepy Route 66 town of Radiator Springs. On route across the country to the big Piston Cup Championship in California to compete against two seasoned pros, McQueen gets to knowDisney/Pixar's Cars revolves around Lightning McQueen, a hotshot rookie race car driven to succeed, discovers that life is about the journey, not the finish line, when he finds himself unexpectedly detoured in the sleepy Route 66 town of Radiator Springs. On route across the country to the big Piston Cup Championship in California to compete against two seasoned pros, McQueen gets to know the town's offbeat characters--including Sally, a snazzy 2002 Porsche, Doc Hudson, a 1951 Hudson Hornet with a mysterious past, and Mater, a rusty but trusty tow truck, who help him realize that friendship is more important than trophies, fame and sponsorship. Now for my opinion. The only problem that I had with this movie was the minute length. It took a little bit of long time for a kids movie and I just don't know why. Everything else turned out great in this movie. It has a fantastic voice cast, great animation, and a good moral lesson for kids young and old. 8/10 Expand
  45. May 25, 2011
    Cars tries desperately to be funny, but most of the jokes tend to fall flat. Also, I'm not quite sure how talking cars would be able to build the ragtag Radiator Springs anyway.
  46. Feb 8, 2011
    What's with all the hate. How is this supposed to be Pixar's worst movie? I think it was excellent and on par with many other Pixar movies. And let me just say that I think Larry the Cable Guy is awesome.
  47. Jan 9, 2011
    This movie was great from start to end.
  48. Jan 9, 2011
    The movie shows that life is not about fame and fortune, but about true happiness and friendship; not only living on the fast lane, but to slow down every once in a while. Furthermore, this is a beautiful film about the love for cars and the countryside.
  49. Sep 3, 2010
    While the worst Pixar film, it' still a good film. Instead of being limited and boring( it could easily have been) it's a entertaining tale, but unlike somewhat finer works (Toy Story, Monsters Inc.) it fails to grasp attention all the way through the film and is a LOT cheesier than the other Pixar offerings, it's worth seeing, even if it's dwarfed in comparison to other Pixar films.
  50. Aug 25, 2010
    Pixar are known for intelligence and among the best in there field so it's mystifying why they made this. It's not awful but it doesn't even come close to the standard which they've set and normally achieve. Fart jokes don't belong in a Pixar film and that alone should deter you from this quite depressing film, also the charachters are far below standard as is the story. Pixar havePixar are known for intelligence and among the best in there field so it's mystifying why they made this. It's not awful but it doesn't even come close to the standard which they've set and normally achieve. Fart jokes don't belong in a Pixar film and that alone should deter you from this quite depressing film, also the charachters are far below standard as is the story. Pixar have completely redeemed themselves and have created some of the best films ever made but while I've forgiven them, I will never forget this slip up Expand
  51. NicholasD
    Jul 15, 2009
    Great.
  52. Ld.
    Sep 29, 2007
    Good but compared to the others not great.
  53. JackB.
    Aug 23, 2007
    A good movie with great animation, but a little boring in some parts.
  54. HexenM.
    Aug 7, 2007
    This movie reminds me of why route 66 is in need of so much repair.This movie also is great children of all ages.Cars makes you think of good Cars. I also like the story. Like a 1948 Tucker the movie runs together nicely and is custom all the way. I really enjoyed cars even for a Teen.
  55. MattS.
    Apr 7, 2007
    I was very sad after this movie ended, not because of the movie's plot, but rather the fact that this movie represents the first movie Pixar has made that has been truly average. Up to this point, PIxar's movies have been comedic adventures, keeping the film rolling from place to place and never trapping us in one local. Cars is entirely different - the first fifteen minutes I was very sad after this movie ended, not because of the movie's plot, but rather the fact that this movie represents the first movie Pixar has made that has been truly average. Up to this point, PIxar's movies have been comedic adventures, keeping the film rolling from place to place and never trapping us in one local. Cars is entirely different - the first fifteen minutes promise a cross-country romp, but instead we soon find our favorite red racecar trapped in a small desert town. He tries to escape, again and again, and who can blame him? As is usually the case with small towns, it is incredibly boring - but as if also often the case with small towns, it is a great place to moralize. As a result, Cars quickly runs out of gas, and becomes a good-looking but so-so entry into a field of computer animated films that is already becoming oversaturated. Expand
  56. Mike
    Dec 19, 2006
    I was very negative when I went to see this movie. I didnt like the whole idea, of cars talking... 5 mins into the movie. I was amazed with the animations, just amazing!! and then the movie started getting better and better. The story really built up and I was sucked into this world! What a great movie!
  57. billyb.
    Dec 6, 2006
    I feel that pixar is just trying to make movie after movie that has no originality from the last boring, petty joke film that they have made. And this film is a good example of that. come one pixar!
  58. SammathS.
    Nov 21, 2006
    I think this a very funny,very brilliant movie.
  59. AdamS
    Nov 11, 2006
    Great animation and a good story.
  60. BM
    Nov 7, 2006
    I intentionally missed the cinema release of 'Cars' because I was concerned about the length. Now I regret not seeing it in it's big screen glory. However, watching this movie in comfort, and at my own pace, is a magical pleasure. This really is another Pixar marvel. And like the other Pixars, this will stand up to many, many repeat viewings. My 11 year old daughter and her I intentionally missed the cinema release of 'Cars' because I was concerned about the length. Now I regret not seeing it in it's big screen glory. However, watching this movie in comfort, and at my own pace, is a magical pleasure. This really is another Pixar marvel. And like the other Pixars, this will stand up to many, many repeat viewings. My 11 year old daughter and her two year old brother were transfixed, and quite frankly, so was I. Expand
  61. JPP.
    Nov 6, 2006
    What do Richard Petty, Owen Wilson, & Paul Newman have in common? They're all in Walt Disney and Pixar's latest film 'Cars'. The story revolves around a rookie race car learning that life isn't about where you're going, but how you get there. Now I'll admit, last fall when I first heard about this movie I completely wrote it off as being utterly What do Richard Petty, Owen Wilson, & Paul Newman have in common? They're all in Walt Disney and Pixar's latest film 'Cars'. The story revolves around a rookie race car learning that life isn't about where you're going, but how you get there. Now I'll admit, last fall when I first heard about this movie I completely wrote it off as being utterly preposterous. Why? Simply because the idea of talking cars didn't seem entertaining in the least. It actually wasn't until the day before it's release I said, wow, I think Disney's got something here. (Which only proved to be true after seeing it the next day.) John Lassester, the man who took us into the world of toys in 'Toy Story' and on a search for a young clown fish in 'Finding Nemo' has done it once again. First off, there's Lightning McQueen's (Owen Wilson) funny and irresistibly lovable new best friend, Mater. (Larry the Cable Guy) He adds to 'Cars' what Scrat the squirrel does in the 'Ice Age' films. Now don't get me wrong, many of the other characters featured in the film are plenty likeable, but Mater is the glue that brings it all together. Also in 'Cars' the animation is superb. It doesn't have the same style or look the other Pixar films have. I don't really know how to describe it, but its certainly something. But, as almost all movies, 'Cars' does have a drawback. Its missing something. That special something only Disney and Pixar can add that made 'Toy Story' what it is, a great movie. I'm not sure why, but its just not there. I imagine in the end 'Cars' will just fall short of having the longevity and memorability films like 'Finding Nemo', 'Monsters, Inc.' & 'Toy Story' will. Despite this, 'Cars' is still a winner and manages to be excellent. Not a classic, but excellent. I highly recommend seeing it at least once to give it a test drive. Expand
  62. ZackS
    Oct 27, 2006
    I thought this movie was good... But not the best. I would not recommend anyone to buy this for a gift. Even though I am an adult I do not want my kids to really watch this movie. Also, that
  63. MarilynB
    Sep 24, 2006
    I go to movies like this to review them. The previews make it look so horrible and kiddie-like that adults and teens and t-weens didn't want to see it. Frankly, the previews showed the best parts. The movie was unfunny, un-witty
  64. ShaneS.
    Sep 18, 2006
    The best animated movie of the year!
  65. MikeD.
    Sep 10, 2006
    Wow, what a disappointing bore! There was nothing clever, interesting, new or funny about this movie. (For adults - I'm sure kids will love it, however.)
  66. LeeS.
    Sep 5, 2006
    Pixar finally delivers a mediocre product. The story was slow and 100% predictable. If cars and racing aren't your thing, there's not much for you in this movie. My daughters were bored. The visuals were great.
  67. Darkever
    Aug 19, 2006
    The idea behind the movie is good, Pixar is Pixar, but this time the result is not INCREDIBLE. The plot is nothing special and the character types are very common: the bully car that finds out what is really important in life, the crazy truck, the sexy Porche Carrera; still, they are VERY well made and the human behavior in a car body is pretty fun to watch. The weak point of the movie The idea behind the movie is good, Pixar is Pixar, but this time the result is not INCREDIBLE. The plot is nothing special and the character types are very common: the bully car that finds out what is really important in life, the crazy truck, the sexy Porche Carrera; still, they are VERY well made and the human behavior in a car body is pretty fun to watch. The weak point of the movie are the race parts: Pixar failed to catch the emotions of a race, and McQueen is so superior to the other cars that there is absolutely no real competition. Fun to watch, but Pixar did better. Expand
  68. Nicholasd
    Aug 5, 2006
    Cars is a great movie it had gerat animation great comedy and is it is a nascar type movie and if your a nascar fan your iike it.
  69. RyanP.
    Jul 27, 2006
    The only movie this season I have seen twice.
  70. WalkenM.
    Jul 25, 2006
    For the first time in my life, I have to agree completely with the SF Chronicle's Mick LaSalle. A huge dissappointment following a string of gems from Pixar, but to be expected given the tremendously flawed concept. The film asks us to identify with the personalities of mechanical monstrosities; mistakes of nature with heart, but no real way of reaching out to eachother. How do cars For the first time in my life, I have to agree completely with the SF Chronicle's Mick LaSalle. A huge dissappointment following a string of gems from Pixar, but to be expected given the tremendously flawed concept. The film asks us to identify with the personalities of mechanical monstrosities; mistakes of nature with heart, but no real way of reaching out to eachother. How do cars have sex? That may seem like a ridiculous question, but the filmmakers spend so much time establishing the details of this world (and even a romance), that it's a question that begs to be asked. And I'm left cold by the lack of response. Unless the film is some sort of metaphor for how Americans have become increasingly socially isolated, I have to see it as a massive failure. Not to mention that it's socially irresponsible to release a movie glamorizing American car culture with this country and planet rapidly deteriorating due to our reliance on oil. And that's not a leftist rant, that's plain fact. Expand
  71. LeonaK.
    Jul 21, 2006
    this is the best movie i have ever seen.
  72. SangheeC.
    Jul 12, 2006
    I loved this movie. Despite the fact that Owen Wilson was in it, the movie was sweet and comedic...and entertaining. The voices were amazing, and so were the graphics. Entertaining for all ages, and a great movie. Amazingly, it wasn't all about cars rushing around a track, that was very little of the movie. It was well done, and fun to watch.
  73. DrewF.
    Jul 9, 2006
    Really had no inclination to go see this movie, which makes me all the more surprised by just how much i enjoyed it. If you are a Pixar fan, or a fan of automotive racing in general (mainly NASCAR, but there is a little bit in there for F1 and open-wheel racing fans, too), you'll more then likely find some entertainment here. Up there among Pixar's best. It's no Really had no inclination to go see this movie, which makes me all the more surprised by just how much i enjoyed it. If you are a Pixar fan, or a fan of automotive racing in general (mainly NASCAR, but there is a little bit in there for F1 and open-wheel racing fans, too), you'll more then likely find some entertainment here. Up there among Pixar's best. It's no "Incredibles", but i doubt that there ever WILL be anything that can top that. Expand
  74. JeffM.
    Jul 9, 2006
    I'm not interested in cars or racing in the least, however the visual splendor of the opening race is really something to behold. It's almost disapointing then that most of the movie plays out away from the track. But then the meandering plot (slowly) sneaks up on you with a touching commentary on dying towns. 20 minutes could have easily been trimmed, but my 5 year old daughter I'm not interested in cars or racing in the least, however the visual splendor of the opening race is really something to behold. It's almost disapointing then that most of the movie plays out away from the track. But then the meandering plot (slowly) sneaks up on you with a touching commentary on dying towns. 20 minutes could have easily been trimmed, but my 5 year old daughter stayed with it until the end. It's no "Incredibles" or "Toy Story", but it does keep the Pixar winning streak alive. Expand
  75. AkivaH.
    Jul 8, 2006
    Clever, creative, and hilariously funny - a great flick for all ages.
  76. BertE.
    Jul 7, 2006
    A terrific combination of extraordinary pixar animation and amercana nostalgia packaged in a movie for kids that adults can fully enjoy, with a first rate soundtrack.
  77. YonZ
    Good movie,well done.
  78. JohnH.
    Jul 3, 2006
    The Jon S. before me suggested the movie was typical "American Drivel". He has got it completely wrong. American "culture" IS riding down-hill, in music, TV broadcasts, and in movies. But the sort of crap I would call American drivel is the stream of cheap, dumb comedies released every week. Theaters are flooded in sequels to Scary Movies, Garfield Movies, Adam Sandler Movies, and The Jon S. before me suggested the movie was typical "American Drivel". He has got it completely wrong. American "culture" IS riding down-hill, in music, TV broadcasts, and in movies. But the sort of crap I would call American drivel is the stream of cheap, dumb comedies released every week. Theaters are flooded in sequels to Scary Movies, Garfield Movies, Adam Sandler Movies, and computer animated trash like Doogal and Over the Hedge. This movie was better written than all of the above, truly funny and clever. The typical Disney happy endings and abundant morals get somewhat tiresome for a 15 year old like myself, but my Mom enjoyed Cars even more than I did! It may not quite measure up to the Incredibles (which I consider one of my favorite 10 movies), but Pixar has done worse before (A Bug's Life). It defies the trend of recent comedies sucking, and could never be called "American Drivel". Expand
  79. KurtC.
    Jul 3, 2006
    If you like Pixar, you will not be disappointed. Cars has a great, thoughtful storyline, a ton of humor, amazing visuals, and superb voice-overs. If not for some of the overly cheezy music selections, this movie would be a 10. Cars comes highly recommended.
  80. AdrianoC.
    Jul 3, 2006
    It may be the worst Pixar film, but it's still dazzling - the landscapes are mesmerizing - and it has a wonderful climax at the final race. The result is a movie at least pretty entertaining. And that's fine by me.
  81. JonS.
    Jun 29, 2006
    American Drivel at it's worst ... I think it's one of the only movies where not only myself but my children wanted to leave the cinema. Boring to say the least and might only appeal to the americans. As others have pointed out, if this is indicitave of what pixar are going to be churning out post-disney buyout then im thinking there is no hope for them.
  82. MikeS.
    Jun 28, 2006
    Good graphics, cute in some parts, but too long.
  83. KenG.
    Jun 26, 2006
    Harmless but hardly ihspired. It was very wholesome (almost painfully so) and at times a certain warmth threatens to break through, but filmmalkers felt no inclination to develop this. Movie is also sappy, and completely unorginal. Still, preteens will likly be more enchanted then adults. The kids might no even notice how much this movie rips-off Michael J. Fox's "Doc Hollywood". Harmless but hardly ihspired. It was very wholesome (almost painfully so) and at times a certain warmth threatens to break through, but filmmalkers felt no inclination to develop this. Movie is also sappy, and completely unorginal. Still, preteens will likly be more enchanted then adults. The kids might no even notice how much this movie rips-off Michael J. Fox's "Doc Hollywood". (Since "Cars" wants very much to send the right messages to kids, how's this for a message to the kiddies "thou shall not steal") Expand
  84. Mase
    Jun 25, 2006
    Sorely missing one thing all pixar movies have had up untill this point. A sense of andventure, a sense of fantasy in a human world. Really this is just a plain old fish out of water story with surprisingly underdeveloped stereotyped supporting characters which is normally a strength for pixar pictures. The suporting characters. But oh well it wasn't that bad really, just not up to Sorely missing one thing all pixar movies have had up untill this point. A sense of andventure, a sense of fantasy in a human world. Really this is just a plain old fish out of water story with surprisingly underdeveloped stereotyped supporting characters which is normally a strength for pixar pictures. The suporting characters. But oh well it wasn't that bad really, just not up to the very high expectations. Expand
  85. ChadS.
    Jun 24, 2006
    Since "Cars" offers no reason as to why metal can talk, you can invent your own. Here's mine. The Pixar team imagined a sequel to the J.G. Ballard novel "Crash"(the Cronenberg adaptation about car wrecks and sex), in which the porn addicts find a way to impregnate an automobile. There's no hint of religion in "Cars", but there's a clue to be had in the pop culture Since "Cars" offers no reason as to why metal can talk, you can invent your own. Here's mine. The Pixar team imagined a sequel to the J.G. Ballard novel "Crash"(the Cronenberg adaptation about car wrecks and sex), in which the porn addicts find a way to impregnate an automobile. There's no hint of religion in "Cars", but there's a clue to be had in the pop culture reference(unusual for Pixar) that Filmore(George Carlin) offers. If this person(he makes metal) is God, "Cars" might be more subversive than you think because this puts the film in Aleister Crowley territory. As for the film text that is obvious, "Cars" is state-of-the-art in terms of getting the viewer involved with the story while displaying its computer wizardry. Radiator Springs is indeed, magical. Unfortunately, Ramone(Cheech Marin) is the new Jar-Jar Binks. Expand
  86. KimC.
    Jun 23, 2006
    A little long for kids, but visually stunning and a fun movie overall.
  87. AnAnimator
    Jun 22, 2006
    Very disappointing for a Pixar film. The lighting and environments were the best they've done yet, and the animation was terrific as always, despite the absurdly limiting character design. But the story--usually Pixar's strong point--just didn't hold my interest. Hopefully this is just a glitch, and the next one will be better!
  88. Andrew
    Jun 20, 2006
    On the bright side of boring. Hardly stunning, but thankfully the tickets did not cost us anything.
  89. DanaM.
    Jun 20, 2006
    Well worth the 9.50. I spent to spent to see the movie. After all, isn't that what it's all about? Animation was spectacular. Go see it and leave your cynical side home.
  90. CaptainS.
    Jun 19, 2006
    Saw it this weekend w/family. Everyone liked the movie, but either put it near "Bug's Life" status or below it. Yikes! Not good reviews IMHO. My 3 year old loved it of course, but the older kids and aduls were a little disappointed. Larry The Cable Guy pretty much salvages this one. My question? Where were all the other actors? Granted Newman does try and make it work, but nothing Saw it this weekend w/family. Everyone liked the movie, but either put it near "Bug's Life" status or below it. Yikes! Not good reviews IMHO. My 3 year old loved it of course, but the older kids and aduls were a little disappointed. Larry The Cable Guy pretty much salvages this one. My question? Where were all the other actors? Granted Newman does try and make it work, but nothing funny at all for Marin, Hunt, or Carlin? For the love of Peter...CARLIN?! Just disappointed. Expand
  91. BillB.
    Jun 19, 2006
    Visual and audio effects are spectacular down to the last detail. Pay attention to the race scenes where bits of worn tire are thrown down the track as the cars pass - details like these are to be commended. Would get a 10 except that things seem to be a bit slow in the middle of the movie and there could have been more character building with the other characters living in the little Visual and audio effects are spectacular down to the last detail. Pay attention to the race scenes where bits of worn tire are thrown down the track as the cars pass - details like these are to be commended. Would get a 10 except that things seem to be a bit slow in the middle of the movie and there could have been more character building with the other characters living in the little town of Radiator Springs, but well worth the price of admission and definately worth renting/owning on DVD once it is released. Expand
  92. mapa
    Jun 18, 2006
    This is not a tipical funny movie made by pixar. I was expecting more fun, but the movie is great, and it has its own way to call our attention about Rute 66. I recommended everyone to watch the movie, but do not expect to laugh for 116 min. There are funy parts, but it is another kind of movie. Also, my five years old baby wanted to go home while the movie was playing because she This is not a tipical funny movie made by pixar. I was expecting more fun, but the movie is great, and it has its own way to call our attention about Rute 66. I recommended everyone to watch the movie, but do not expect to laugh for 116 min. There are funy parts, but it is another kind of movie. Also, my five years old baby wanted to go home while the movie was playing because she didn't like the movie. We watched The incredibles in the theater (about 4 times) and she liked very much. Expand
  93. SteveS
    Jun 17, 2006
    This was a great movie during summer. I am 16 years old, and me and a group of friends went to see it, because franmkly, Nacho libre looked like garbage. There are a lot of good jokes (like the ones in Shrek, where teh 5 year olds don't get it, but everyone does), and the graphics are beautiful. THIS IS A KIDS MOVIE. Of course its predictable. It was still awesome though. Very nice. This was a great movie during summer. I am 16 years old, and me and a group of friends went to see it, because franmkly, Nacho libre looked like garbage. There are a lot of good jokes (like the ones in Shrek, where teh 5 year olds don't get it, but everyone does), and the graphics are beautiful. THIS IS A KIDS MOVIE. Of course its predictable. It was still awesome though. Very nice. Not as good as Toy Story, but this is definitely the second best Pixar movie out there. Better than Nemo and Monsters Inc. Expand
  94. EricK.
    Jun 17, 2006
    Ah, Pixar, you have done it again. Though the story is indeed predictable, who cares? Pixar makes the whole trip fun. The characters are incredably lovable, and the jokes are witty and executed perfectly.
  95. AtticusJ.
    Jun 17, 2006
    Yikes. Something went horribly wrong here. The CG scenery is pretty, but that can't compensate for the rest: forced voice acting, eye-roll-inducing moralizing, lame jokes, a predictable story arc (gosh, do you suppose the hot-shot protagonist will make friends with the small town residents and learn some obvious Life Lessons?) and characters that all have personalities lifted Yikes. Something went horribly wrong here. The CG scenery is pretty, but that can't compensate for the rest: forced voice acting, eye-roll-inducing moralizing, lame jokes, a predictable story arc (gosh, do you suppose the hot-shot protagonist will make friends with the small town residents and learn some obvious Life Lessons?) and characters that all have personalities lifted straight from templates in the Big Book of Cartoon Stereotypes. Pixar's The Incredibles, by contrast, proved truly engaging to watch - all that attention to the characters' eccentricities and subliminal tics - and that screenplay was smarter than the spy-thriller/superhero genres it parodied. Where has that smartness gone? If you saw the trailer for Cars and had a negative gut reaction, trust your reaction and steer clear, despite what you know of Pixar. In aiming for the mainstream here, Pixar has sacrificed a large part of what makes its movies magical and unique, and the strange thing is that nobody much seems to have noticed the problem. As for me, I winced a lot and tried as best I could to just enjoy the visuals. Expand
  96. EricyN.
    Jun 15, 2006
    It was a little bad, it was gross and alittle good I think it's going to the best movie in the whole wide universe and I thihnk I'll love it.
  97. MikeJ.
    Jun 15, 2006
    I thought this movie was excellent in both graphical presentation and story telling. I watched in a theatre filled with adults and kids and found myself laughing at the jokes for the kids as well as the ones aimed at the adults. Well done Disney/Pixar! Another fine piece of quality entertainment.
  98. Tosh
    Jun 15, 2006
    Ireally don't understand what's the big deal with this movie. yes, the graphics are really impressive, but other than that I don't see anything that stands out from the rest of the animated movies. The story line is absoultely predictable which is the biggest 'minus' for the movie. Over The Hedge was much more fun... at least for me.
  99. DavidM.
    Jun 15, 2006
    Pixar has indeed done it again. "Cars" has more wit, charm, and most important of all, HEART, than all of the movies released this summer combined. To all those who say that the movie's central premise is formulaic and tired: I say it is something that is badly needed to be said, over and over, especially in our frentic society of fast food and celebrity/sports worship. It's Pixar has indeed done it again. "Cars" has more wit, charm, and most important of all, HEART, than all of the movies released this summer combined. To all those who say that the movie's central premise is formulaic and tired: I say it is something that is badly needed to be said, over and over, especially in our frentic society of fast food and celebrity/sports worship. It's quite ironic given that the only things that are "tired" and "formulaic" in Hollywood today are just about every other movie released recently that has been shamelessly sequeled or repackaged, soley to make a buck. Expand
  100. EricD.
    Jun 14, 2006
    Fabulous movie. I loved it. My wife loved it. My son loved it. How often do you get so much cross gender and cross age appeal? Pixar delivers again.

1. By relying too much on snappy dialogue and by adhering to the philosophy that "steel should feel like steel and glass should feel like glass," the filmmakers have bridled their imaginations and created a movie about toys that are too blubbery and not rubbery enough.
  2. The Pixar people have an extreme talent for conjuring imagery that is both soaring in its majesty but also resonant -- it's a stylization but acute enough to carry emotional meaning.
  3. It doesn't make Cars a bad picture -- the visual inventions are worth the price of admission -- but it constitutes conduct unbecoming to a maker of magic.