7.1

1. JayH.
    Jun 18, 2008
    Offbeat with a fairly original approach. More than one scene reminded my of Harold and Maude. Good use of music, nice score. Appealing film with effective performances.
  2. Nov 15, 2012
    Anton Yelchin is phenomenal as Bartlet. Though the movie may not always be fantastic, his performance echoes Matthew Broderick's Bueller, and is a breakthrough role.
  3. JesterM.
    Jul 23, 2008
    This movie wasn't Ferris Bueller. It wasn't even Pump Up The Volume. It was a sad and pathetic attempt for a studio to cash in on the teen angst market which they have become so adept at exploiting. But who can blame them, when we have a teenage population in this country with the cultural force of a Paris Hilton song, who can blame the suits for trying to take full advantage of This movie wasn't Ferris Bueller. It wasn't even Pump Up The Volume. It was a sad and pathetic attempt for a studio to cash in on the teen angst market which they have become so adept at exploiting. But who can blame them, when we have a teenage population in this country with the cultural force of a Paris Hilton song, who can blame the suits for trying to take full advantage of the situation. The sad thing our teen friends won't even lift their lazy heads high enough off of their Sidekick devices to actually care. It's not Nevermind anymore, it's Neverwhere. Expand
  4. RyanM.
    Jun 25, 2008
    Ughh!! Unbearable!! So poorly acted. Lame, predictable, overbearing, egotistical character. Nothing real about the character or plot. Nothing felt sincere. Add in a horrible actor, and this movie was a huge disappointment. Was looking for witty, original, quirky and real. Everything seemed borrowed and quite the opposite of anything genuine.
  5. CraigG.
    Oct 23, 2008
    An entertaining film that has some very fun scenes, and some that pretty much fall flat. It tries to be more than it really is, but it still succeeds in deciphering many of the problems that a teenager faces.
  6. PatP
    Feb 24, 2008
    In my opinion, this is another case of a deceptively well made movie trailer. I went in expecting something fresh and different, but wound up experiencing an occasionally entertaining, but heavily flawed movie. It continually reminded the audience that it was similar but inferior to Wes Anderson's classic Rushmore. There were some very funny scenes sprinkled throughout, and the In my opinion, this is another case of a deceptively well made movie trailer. I went in expecting something fresh and different, but wound up experiencing an occasionally entertaining, but heavily flawed movie. It continually reminded the audience that it was similar but inferior to Wes Anderson's classic Rushmore. There were some very funny scenes sprinkled throughout, and the overall premise and several of the characters were pretty strong. Unfortunately most of these strengths are overshadowed by the glaring flaws, including: some very illogical scenes that shatter the suspension of disbelief, the predictable plot, and personally I was quite annoyed by the numerous "high schoolers" that appeared to be closer to baby boomers than teenagers. Overall, this movie does not really deliver on its promise, or on the quirky fun shown in the trailer, and ended up disappointingly mediocre. Expand
  7. WayneC.
    Feb 25, 2008
    likely that not everyone will enjoy this quirky little film, but i got a kick out of it despite its uneven quality.
  8. chrisM.
    Sep 13, 2008
    this is a beautiful film, with very good actors in my opinion robet downey jr should win best supporting oscar
  9. NicholeK.
    Nov 20, 2008
    This is my favorite movie. It was very funny and very good acting. It was a smart move to cast Robert Downing Jr., and the music and score was also very well done. Good job!
  10. ChadS.
    Feb 23, 2008
    Riff through this, the John Hughes oeuvre, and like a Bruce Watson is-it-a-bagpipe-or-a-guitar solo does "Charlie Bartlett", a post-modern shred on Hughes art-teen masterpieces such as: "Sixteen Candles", "The Breakfast Club", "Pretty in Pink", and "Ferris Bueller's Day-Off"; riff away "like a lover's voice fires the mountainside". For starters, Charlie(Anton Yelchin) and Riff through this, the John Hughes oeuvre, and like a Bruce Watson is-it-a-bagpipe-or-a-guitar solo does "Charlie Bartlett", a post-modern shred on Hughes art-teen masterpieces such as: "Sixteen Candles", "The Breakfast Club", "Pretty in Pink", and "Ferris Bueller's Day-Off"; riff away "like a lover's voice fires the mountainside". For starters, Charlie(Anton Yelchin) and Susan(Kat Dennings) are the twenty-first century version of Anthony Michael Hall and Molly Ringwald. In "Sixteen Candles", 'The Geek' gets a pair of Samantha's panties; this time, the geek gets the girl. Susan also reminded me of the proto-goth chick that Ally Sheedy portrayed in "The Breakfast Club". To be worthy of Andy's hand(Emilio Estevez's hand) on the small of her back, Allison had to go easy on the eyeliner. "Charlie Bartlett" updates Hughes' take on George Bernard Shaw's "Pygmallion" by turning the tables; this time, the figurative Eliza Doolittle goes drag when Charlie's sidekick Murphey(Tyler Hilton) grows out his mohawk to win the small of a cheerleader's back. The spirit of "Pretty in Pink" is best expressed in Susan's room. Look at her stuff. It's a pop culture wasteland. Andie Walsh(Ringwald, again) had a "Sparkle in the Rain"(Simple Minds' sixth, and best album) poster hung on her wall. Susan likes music, too; she's into Mecca Normal(an uber-cool Vancouver two-piecer from the early-nineties(and still active), who along with Portland's The Spinanes, probably inspired The White Stripes), whose cacophonic albums of feminist ideas and grrrl-y guitars would most definitely meet Andie's approval. "Ferris Bueller's Day-Off", however, casts the mightiest shadow on "Charlie Bartlett". Ferris(Matthew Broderick), in the course of a day, wanted to save his friend Cameron(Alan Ruck); while Charlie, in the course of a semester, wants to save the world. If you're "not expecting to grow flowers in the desert," but "can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime," consider yourself lucky. You're young. "Charlie Bartlett" is a paean to the eighties. Expand
  11. BasilE
    Jul 11, 2008
    Excellent, if you have teenage kids present or just recenlty this movie will appeal to you as a parent,. its a good family comedy with a lttle attached to make you feel slightly emotional! Really don't know where these critics get their scores from everyone for themselves, on this site i definitrly find user ratings more realistic and critics a waste of time
  12. JoeSmoe
    Mar 5, 2009
    Are you kidding? This film was an excellent parody of life as an American teenager in today's world: oversexed, overmedicated, dysfunctional family dynamics, completely irrational school hierarchy - and witty, funny, creative, excellent acting all across the board!
  13. ChristianL.
    Nov 28, 2008
    Great movie with funny parts, powerful parts, and dramatic parts. Heavily underrated movie with great plot.
  14. RobT
    Feb 15, 2008
    This is one of those movies that makes you get up and realize how much fun a movie can be, and the performance by Anton Yelchin is likely to become one of the most ridiculously underrated of all time.
  15. Jon
    Feb 22, 2008
    Take it for what it's worth, it's a very enjoyable film. Although it's about teens, the film is directed more towards adults. Think about it as a Fuerris Bueller for the next century. To be fair, it did get a little sappy at one point, but all in all, I definitely got my money's worth.
  16. DrewT.
    Feb 25, 2008
    I loved this film, there were a lot of interesting plot twists, heck, story in general was awesome. Yelchin was excellent, Robert Downey was excellent. The only thing keeping me from giving it a ten was that I was disappointed about the truth of Charlie's father, as I was expecting something that Charlie would relate to, or something, but it wasn't.
  17. Kayleighms
    Mar 28, 2008
    Like its confused teenaged hero (Anton Yelchin),
  18. GrahamX
    May 23, 2008
    Pretty good film, light hearted and enjoyable if you don't take it all too seriously it's pretty enjoyable.
  19. JuliaA.
    Sep 14, 2008
    This movie was sooooooo funny it has very good actors and actresses i don't know watch the other people were talkin about. if i were a real critic i'd give it a A-
  20. Nov 26, 2010
    If you ask me it reminds me of what Ferris Bueller would do if he while he was at school other than Chalie's huge house other than when it gets all bad in the middle and nearer the end.
  21. Jan 19, 2011
    I adore this movie! After renting it out randomly at my local video store I became obsessed with this amazing film. Anton Yelchin is a standout and Kat Dennings as usual is a absolute pleasure to watch on screen. The film combines humour with hard hitting topics such as drugs, depression and family. When my friends and family ask me to recomend a movie to them this is always the first oneI adore this movie! After renting it out randomly at my local video store I became obsessed with this amazing film. Anton Yelchin is a standout and Kat Dennings as usual is a absolute pleasure to watch on screen. The film combines humour with hard hitting topics such as drugs, depression and family. When my friends and family ask me to recomend a movie to them this is always the first one that pops into my head. The only negative comment I have to say is why the hell wasn't this movie released in theatres in Australia. For such a great film, I don't believe it received the applause that it was definitely lacking. Expand
  22. Jul 28, 2015
    Charlie Bartlett is inexplicably cheap looking and sounding. If I were shown this movie without knowing anything about it I would have thought it was from the 90's. Aside from that, I have never seen a teen coming of age comedy with such strong performances. The story often times is confused and scattered, but focuses up enough at vital moments to make it solid, and respectful to theCharlie Bartlett is inexplicably cheap looking and sounding. If I were shown this movie without knowing anything about it I would have thought it was from the 90's. Aside from that, I have never seen a teen coming of age comedy with such strong performances. The story often times is confused and scattered, but focuses up enough at vital moments to make it solid, and respectful to the issues it is dealing with. Expand
  23. Jan 1, 2015
    Well, it's a fun enough comedy. The cast is nice and likable, nobody too annoying. The plot is interesting and keeps changing without you especially noticing but also not entirely predictable. And while these things might as well don't matter, the important thing is that this is one light-weight, unpretentious comedy that will probably keep you interested from start to finish. And this isWell, it's a fun enough comedy. The cast is nice and likable, nobody too annoying. The plot is interesting and keeps changing without you especially noticing but also not entirely predictable. And while these things might as well don't matter, the important thing is that this is one light-weight, unpretentious comedy that will probably keep you interested from start to finish. And this is not an easy task to pull off for any movie. Expand

1. Yelchin delivers one of those performances that pop eyes... It's a breakthrough role.
  2. Reviewed by: Ronnie Scheib
    Rollicking story of a rich kid whose wildly successful bid for popularity has him playing drug-distributing shrink to an entire high school boasts pitch-perfect faceoffs between upstart Anton Yelchin and alcoholic principal Robert Downey Jr. that could fuel a chemistry lab.
    I would classify Charlie Bartlett as a smart teen film. It's more ambitious and overall more successful than its '80s forebears even though the resemblance is unmistakable.