8.0

1. Sep 27, 2011
    "Chicago" shouldn't have been a good movie if it wasn't for the stylish direction of Rob Marshall and his cleverness of portraying the correct scenes matching with the song and setting. It isn't great, but a good movie with some light-jazz music you'll love to listen.
  2. Aug 27, 2011
    Perhaps Chicago is meant to be self-analytical in commentary on shallowness in nearly everything, but that doesn't forgive the fact that it is indeed shallow. While it's flashy and pretty funny when it needs to be, in the end, Chicago is still a miraculously vapid movie underneath it all, and that, in the end, makes it boring when it's not belting.
  3. Dec 21, 2011
    Chicago is by far on one of the greatest musicals to hit the stage. The songs are sung with such strength by actors whom I never expected to have that skill. The choreography is beautifully orchestrated and the use of parallel montage between the songs and the actual story is what truly takes this film from the stage and makes it great for the screen. The only fault is that despite greatChicago is by far on one of the greatest musicals to hit the stage. The songs are sung with such strength by actors whom I never expected to have that skill. The choreography is beautifully orchestrated and the use of parallel montage between the songs and the actual story is what truly takes this film from the stage and makes it great for the screen. The only fault is that despite great performances, the songs sometimes get in the way of evoking true emotion from the actual plot. Expand
  4. Mar 2, 2013
    One of the best films in history, i loved it i was never into musicals until i saw this movie, absolutely brilliant performances and beautiful songs this is truly an Oscar worthy film
  5. Mar 13, 2014
    The ambition and devotion to 'Chicago' is blindsided by a contempt for all the protagonists (the exception being John C. Reily, whose Mr. Cellophane is truly heartbreaking) and a certain modernization of an era that was not nearly so "razzle-dazzle" as the film portrays it to be. I still can't get by the self-obsession of Renee Zellweger and Catherine Zeta-Jones. That's really why I can'tThe ambition and devotion to 'Chicago' is blindsided by a contempt for all the protagonists (the exception being John C. Reily, whose Mr. Cellophane is truly heartbreaking) and a certain modernization of an era that was not nearly so "razzle-dazzle" as the film portrays it to be. I still can't get by the self-obsession of Renee Zellweger and Catherine Zeta-Jones. That's really why I can't give the movie higher than an 8. A 6 is because it wasn't 20's to me. Expand
  6. Jul 29, 2014
    "Chicago" is a genre classic, but it actually praised more than deserved. Performances are generally good, the premise very intriguing, but is somewhat weak as a picture. The plot can be unintelligent at times, and there are too many numbers overshadowing the storyline. Zeta-Jones and Queen Latifah are more than adequate fits. Overall, "Chicago" has some strong qualities, but is also"Chicago" is a genre classic, but it actually praised more than deserved. Performances are generally good, the premise very intriguing, but is somewhat weak as a picture. The plot can be unintelligent at times, and there are too many numbers overshadowing the storyline. Zeta-Jones and Queen Latifah are more than adequate fits. Overall, "Chicago" has some strong qualities, but is also perhaps a little overrated. Expand
  7. RonaldB
    May 29, 2009
    The ladies are pleasant, the leading man replacable, the story forgettable and the musical "numbers" add up to zero. In other words, what we quite rightly expect from a contemporary musical.
  8. JohnA.
    Jul 3, 2005
    Crap, crap, mega-crap. How can such a failure get 82 points and the Academy Award for Best Movie of the Year against The Two Towers? The critics wouldn't know a good movie even if it hit them!
  9. ButteredPopcorn
    Jun 16, 2004
    Awful. I lasted about 10 minutes before we shut it off. the characters were so sterotypical, they were like a cartoon. Annoying herky jerky style. In a word, this movie insults the viewer's intelligence.
  10. jefff.
    Apr 19, 2005
    I found the music to be really bad.
  11. IlzeS.
    Dec 26, 2004
    The worst movie of 2002.Moulin Rouge is ten times better than this musical mix.
  12. SlavisaM.
    Jun 29, 2004
    Chicago is the most over-rated movie of the century! It's horrible! Music terrible, acting is the only thing good! Oh my god, what a torture!!! Terrible 133 minutes spent on that crap! Never again!
  13. Intermission
    Dec 4, 2005
    HOW CAN ANYONE SAY THAT THIS MOVIE IS GOOD. Perhaps the worst musical of all time. Richard Gere puts in his worst performance. And the songs suck.
  14. Apr 2, 2012
    Chicago is the worst movie I have ever seen. Nothing was good about the movie. If I could I would give it 3 zeros. Disgraceful, Horrific, Disgusting, Stupid, and a total mess of a film. You couldn't pay me to watch this film. Worst movie of the year, worst movie of all time.
  15. TaraM.
    Jan 4, 2003
    Very enjoyable. There were nice transitions between the musical numbers and reality.
  16. MikeD.
    Jan 10, 2003
    This is a very fun and inventive movie....acting and general performances were superb. The problem? I don't really like musicals! Therefore, even someone like me can rate this a 7, and if you like musicals, you're sure to love it.
  17. BillC.
    Jan 6, 2003
    Awesome.
  18. CharlieL.
    Jan 8, 2003
    CHICAGO is everything great about movie musicals and all that jazz. It's got the glossy appeal of Moulin Rouge without the sappy story and the poor singing on the part of nicole kidman, Zellweger,and Zeta -Jones are fabulous and flapperiffic! rob marshall's choreography makes this movie a perfect 10! if you claim to love movies, or musicals you MUST see this movie!!!
  19. CedrickG.
    Oct 9, 2003
    I only wish I could have been in the movie.
  20. MitchH.
    Feb 7, 2003
    I loved, loved, loved this movie. So many great visuals, and performances. Cell Block Tango was by far the best part of the movie. It was fast paced and the danceing was fantastic. I can't say enough good things about it. Just go see it.
  21. T.Kjer
    Feb 8, 2003
    Rob Marshall has succeeded unlike any film director before in creating a truly theatrical movie, or cinematic theatre, whichever. Each time I've seen this film I feel like I have just attended one of the greatest live Broadway musicals in my life, and I have certainly seen the best of the best of live theatre, including the original cast of ChiCago, twice, and several casts of the Rob Marshall has succeeded unlike any film director before in creating a truly theatrical movie, or cinematic theatre, whichever. Each time I've seen this film I feel like I have just attended one of the greatest live Broadway musicals in my life, and I have certainly seen the best of the best of live theatre, including the original cast of ChiCago, twice, and several casts of the current version. I have racked my brain to remember when I've been as thrilled by a movie as I am with "ChiCago," and my list is: West Side Story, The Sound of Music and Oliver! Yes, this is a little different from the stage version, but it is truly authentic to its source. Only time will tell, but I have a very strong feeling that "ChiCago" will become a classic movie musical. Expand
  22. LaurenD.
    Feb 8, 2003
    Its no Moulin Rouge but its still very entertaining, but its also somewhat empty. Worth buying though! The "Cell Block Tango" rocks!
  23. MichelleP.
    Feb 9, 2003
    I am so glad this movie won a Best Picture for the Golden Globe Awards. It was fantastic! The songs and dances ("...and all that jazz!!!") were superb! Not to mention the main trio (Zelleweger, Zeta-Jones, and Gere) did a beautiul job at acting. Queen Lafitah also did an excellent job! I hope they make more musicals like this one!
  24. ChrisG.
    Mar 17, 2003
    Amazing, Catherine rocks - Stop comparing to that wannabe musical moulin rouge I mean that used crap old pop songs , This is a true broadway musical folks.
  25. SteveH.
    Jun 30, 2003
    It's okay. It was not good enough to be best movie of the year. Best movie should have gone to Gangs Of New York or Far From Heaven instead. The movie was cute but not monumental.
  26. Layne
    Aug 30, 2003
    Its Oscar win for Best Picture only proves that musicals are still under Hollywood's eye after 34 years, and Chicago deserved every bit of its coveted award. It outsings Moulin Rouge as the best musical of the past decade, and delivers wonderful performances from Renee Zellweger, Catherine Zeta- Jones, and Richard Gere. The colors are lively, the tone is silly, and the directing is Its Oscar win for Best Picture only proves that musicals are still under Hollywood's eye after 34 years, and Chicago deserved every bit of its coveted award. It outsings Moulin Rouge as the best musical of the past decade, and delivers wonderful performances from Renee Zellweger, Catherine Zeta- Jones, and Richard Gere. The colors are lively, the tone is silly, and the directing is unlike anything you've ever seen. And, thanks to the toe-tapping numbers that stand out the most: "And All That Jazz," " Roxie," and the ending number, which is an exhuberant duet by Zeta- Jones and Zellweger; Chicago can quite possibly pass as the most entertaining film of the year. Expand
  27. DaNcR!
    Jan 8, 2004
    This movie is great...you have no clue how much time it would take to do those dances unless you dance yourself. It was amazing!
  28. GustavW.
    Apr 15, 2005
    Oh, this is great! This is just great! A true masterpiece. It'll rock your world all the way down to your stockings! However, watching the movie without singing along with the songs is a nightmare! (At least the 105th time I watched it.)
  29. caporegime
    Jun 10, 2009
    It razzle-dazzled me.
  30. Gabriel
    Jun 12, 2010
    One of the best musicals I've ever seen! Acting and singing so great, brilliant story and screenplay. This is one of that films that i never get tired of watching over and over again.
  31. RyanM.
    Jan 12, 2003
    The only problem "Chicago" has is that there's too much music and not enough story development.
  32. CarlyH.
    Jan 14, 2003
    What a spectacular film. It had beyond impressive performances (almost makes you forget that you didn't like Catherine Zeta-Jones before). It had art direction that almost brought tears to my eyes it was so spectacular. Saying that this movie couldn't live up to the stage version is doing the film genre an injustice, because I can't think of anything this movie could have What a spectacular film. It had beyond impressive performances (almost makes you forget that you didn't like Catherine Zeta-Jones before). It had art direction that almost brought tears to my eyes it was so spectacular. Saying that this movie couldn't live up to the stage version is doing the film genre an injustice, because I can't think of anything this movie could have done better. I love musical theater and movies more than anything in the world-- and this movie honors them both superbly. Expand
  33. BronxvilleFilmFan
    Jan 8, 2003
    I could have just as easily rated this film a solid 10, as many here have. Chicago is a vivid and gorgeous film with stunning cinematography, superior editing, a sharp screenplay, and huge performances from a delightful cast. Perhaps the biggest praise should be reserved for Rob Marshall, whose direction here is absolutely fantastic. THIS is entertainment folks. Personal faves: the puppet I could have just as easily rated this film a solid 10, as many here have. Chicago is a vivid and gorgeous film with stunning cinematography, superior editing, a sharp screenplay, and huge performances from a delightful cast. Perhaps the biggest praise should be reserved for Rob Marshall, whose direction here is absolutely fantastic. THIS is entertainment folks. Personal faves: the puppet master scene with Zellwegger and Gere and the Cell Block Tango. Richard Gere may not hit all the notes, but his performance is charming and charismatic. Catherine Zeta Jones is absolute perfection as Velma--this will be one of the defining roles of her career. Queen Latifah and John C. Reilly shine in nice supporting roles. New to music and dance, Renee Zellwegger attacks the leading role with gusto and furnishes remarkably strong performances in rather formidable--and important--song and dance sequences. She is a gifted actor developing a strength for comedy. Expand
  34. LauraR.
    Jan 9, 2003
    Sexy, hot and everything you'd want in a musical! Zeta-Jones is mindblowing. You wish the whole movie was about her character. Gere is fantastic in his ruthless and cunning portrayal. His singing and dancing does his talent justice. Queen Latifia is wise, knowing and spectactular in her role, acting and singing. Zellwiger was very good but the anorexic skin and bones look on her is Sexy, hot and everything you'd want in a musical! Zeta-Jones is mindblowing. You wish the whole movie was about her character. Gere is fantastic in his ruthless and cunning portrayal. His singing and dancing does his talent justice. Queen Latifia is wise, knowing and spectactular in her role, acting and singing. Zellwiger was very good but the anorexic skin and bones look on her is distracing in her performance. Even if you've never seen a musical on stage you've got to see this one! Expand
  35. Stephen
    Jan 9, 2003
    Could we finally be witnessing the rebirth of the movie musical? If so, Chicago deserves much of the credit...this film is slick, amazing to watch, wonderfully acted, and simply put...pure entertainment. Its amazing to think Renee Zellweger considered herself only a "shower singer" before this film---she is surely locked in for a well-deserved oscar nomination for her gutsy, talented Could we finally be witnessing the rebirth of the movie musical? If so, Chicago deserves much of the credit...this film is slick, amazing to watch, wonderfully acted, and simply put...pure entertainment. Its amazing to think Renee Zellweger considered herself only a "shower singer" before this film---she is surely locked in for a well-deserved oscar nomination for her gutsy, talented performance as Roxie. "Chicago" is truly what a movie-going experience should be. Expand
  36. KennyT.
    Feb 14, 2003
    Stunning performances from all actors!
  37. GabrielleD.
    Mar 17, 2003
    I loved it so much! It was one of the best movie's I have ever seen!
  38. Jack
    Mar 22, 2003
    It's okay, but hardly impressive, and many dance numbers are badly filmed.
  39. PuddlesMacIntire
    Mar 3, 2003
    Got draggged to this movie last night, kicking and screaming the whole way. She said "c'mon, we're going to an Oscar party this year, we have to see every best pic nominee". Well, I am just stunned at how BAD this movie was. No, I'm not a fan of the musical form to begin with, however I have seen quite a few of them over the course of my life so I feel qualified to be able Got draggged to this movie last night, kicking and screaming the whole way. She said "c'mon, we're going to an Oscar party this year, we have to see every best pic nominee". Well, I am just stunned at how BAD this movie was. No, I'm not a fan of the musical form to begin with, however I have seen quite a few of them over the course of my life so I feel qualified to be able to tell the difference between a good one and a bad one. Forgettable songs, lightweight choreography (added for the numerous non-dancers in the cast) and a repellant story made this turd jaw droppingly bad. I was surfing Metacritic.com this AM to try and figure out why this mess has rcvd such good notices and now I am just flummoxed by the whole thing. Most reviewers cite Richard Gere as being a pleasant surprise in a singing and dancing role. "Why he can even tap dance!" many reviews said. Well wake up! You never saw his face and feet at the same time except for about 5 steps in a 5 minute song. He moves with the elegance of Boris Karloff in Frankenstein. Much of his dancing was obviously done by body doubles. And his singing voice! Wow reedy and dead, almost like Jerry Lewis, but not played for laughs . . . and very obviously digitally enhanced. In fact ALL the singing was massaged and dubbed. Gee, and I usually like Zellweger too. She's always so cute and plucky in her other roles. Here she reminds me of an early 60's Shirley MacLaine . . . but without the musical talent. Many of her solo numbers were surprisingly non-musical, almost like sung monologues. Again, you almost never see her dancing in full body. Obviously, it was because she can't dance that well. The movie had no pacing or flow. The scenes without songs were curiously subdued and downplayed and every single production number was blaring, overwrought and far too in-your-face. Too much fast cutting and yet far too stage-y at the same time. Many reviewers also mention the "timely story about obsession with stardom and the lengths people go to stay a star". This story is old hat folks. It reminds me of how the in love with itself media all thought "The Truman Show" was pure genius, yet most of the public went "yeah, so?" The media is so obsessed with itself that they think the general public is a pack of drooling morons that all want to be fabulous stars like them. the story is man hating and surprisingly trashy. There are NO sympathetic characters. All very "edgy and revisionist" says one reviewer. Like that's a good thing for musicals. Blame Baz Luhrman. This is just the type of diarhea that wins best picture Oscars. Be afraid, be very afraid. Expand
  40. AndrewE.
    Mar 9, 2003
    Ugh.
  41. LARRYL.
    Mar 9, 2003
    I though that the movie was done in a real manor. the movie doidn't give you time to think it was one good number after the other. i saw the stage play it was great . i tell all of by friends about it go see it you will feel great comming out of the theater. memphis only rated chicago a 71/2 .. boo on memphis thaks larry lawrence.
  42. ChristopherM.
    Apr 13, 2003
    Fantastic!
  43. YamahaW.
    Apr 14, 2003
    Overrated. Take the heart, soul, and energy out of Moulin Rouge and you get this. Waste of time.
  44. SarahM.
    Apr 17, 2003
    Add good songs good story great performances and get a great movie! unlike moulin rouge the most awful film ever made.
  45. Andy
    Apr 7, 2003
    If I could have given Chicago more than a ten, I would have!
  46. CaptainTellItLikeItIs
    Apr 8, 2003
    Why are we so preoccupied with the extravagance of this film, it is awful. I didn't care whatsoever about the characters, the story is dull and pointless. Lets not get confused with the star-aspect, the film is trash, it couldn't even be made worse if julia roberts was in it. I felt a serious, morbid hatred for everyone in this film.
  47. JohnH.
    May 17, 2003
    Fantastic to the people who say this is silly well its just the broadway show on screen so blame fosse and all for that.
  48. JJMunichz
    Jul 27, 2003
    THIS IS THE BEST MOVIE I HAVE EVER SEEN. It is magically put together and if you like singing dancing and a WHOLE LOT OF FUN, you should definately see this movie. Renee Zellweger really surprised everyone. She was AMAZING Final Score: 10
  49. LorH.
    Aug 2, 2003
    I have just finished watching this fantastic film and i really can't believe what i saw. i have NEVER in my whole life seen a film as exciting as this. the actors are 100% up to standard, the costumes, scenery, the way it's directed are all absolutly stupendous. before i sat down to watch this this afternoon i thought 2 things.......there is no way this movie will beat the stageI have just finished watching this fantastic film and i really can't believe what i saw. i have NEVER in my whole life seen a film as exciting as this. the actors are 100% up to standard, the costumes, scenery, the way it's directed are all absolutly stupendous. before i sat down to watch this this afternoon i thought 2 things.......there is no way this movie will beat the stage show and it will never be as good as "cabaret" but i proved myself wrong both times. even now i have the songs stuck in my head and i just want to watch it over and over again. fantastic! Expand
  50. Liz
    Aug 21, 2003
    This movie dazzled my brain. The genius mix of characters and songs makes this movie what it is.
  51. KatieP.
    Aug 20, 2003
    Great film.
  52. CMeyer
    Aug 20, 2003
    The critics were right ... the movie is a classic in all its own rights! Fun, energetic, and a joy to watch! And best of all every acting nomination at this years Oscar ceremony was WELL DESERVED b/c the performances are wonderful as is the singing (done by each cast meember themselves!)!!
  53. MeghanE.
    Sep 6, 2003
    This movie was Perfect! it is a Must see! It is so ellaborate, the musical numbers are perfect, They make you want to sing along... I just went yesterday and bought the soundtrack. The DVD also has good extra behind the scene specials. They did such a great job with this movie...especially with Catherine Zeta-Jones and Richard Gere. I don't care for Renee Zellweger a ton, but all in This movie was Perfect! it is a Must see! It is so ellaborate, the musical numbers are perfect, They make you want to sing along... I just went yesterday and bought the soundtrack. The DVD also has good extra behind the scene specials. They did such a great job with this movie...especially with Catherine Zeta-Jones and Richard Gere. I don't care for Renee Zellweger a ton, but all in all, I give it an A++! Catherine Zeta-Jones is FANTASTIC in this film...her voice and dancing is just amazing...she has such a strong voice and it seems that she can do anything! Latifah is awesome too, with that strong rhaspy voice that fits her character. I wasn't going to rent it because I'm young, I don't like musicals, it's orionally from the 30's, blah blah blah, but when it came out on video, I figured I would see what the hype was all about. It was worth it, it's one of my favorite movies. go rent it!! Expand
  54. RickyC.
    Jan 9, 2004
    This was the Best Movie of the Year 2002!
  55. RebekahR.
    Mar 3, 2004
    It was GREAT!!! Loved the music, costumes, and what great actors!!
  56. DanC.
    May 3, 2004
    While not bad, it is very overrated.
  57. RosieO.
    Jun 1, 2004
    I liked Chicago but most of the good songs, such as "All That Jazz," "When You're Good to Mama," and "Cell Block Tango," are at the start. Throughout the film the songs get less catchy and sometimes boring. I didn't think Richard Gere's songs were good and the song about cellophane was almost comical!
  58. BigFan
    Sep 5, 2004
    Fantastic. This movie is everything all these people have been saying about it. From the worst ratings to the best ratings. Yes, the story is simply. But if you watch it again you realize its timeless, and then you realize its going on around us every day. And the songs and the dancing. After you watch it again and listen again you become speechless as you marvel at the incredible Fantastic. This movie is everything all these people have been saying about it. From the worst ratings to the best ratings. Yes, the story is simply. But if you watch it again you realize its timeless, and then you realize its going on around us every day. And the songs and the dancing. After you watch it again and listen again you become speechless as you marvel at the incredible staging, the artistic achievement at every level. If you only watched this movie once you haven't even seen it yet. Just look at the editiing on the final number in the movie and think about it and you'll be breathless. Everything about this movie is perfect. Its a movie's moive's movie's movie. This is a gem our generation can be proud of, and one that every movie star past, present, and future can look down upon us and be thankful we did it. This movie is history. Expand
  59. BlancoA.
    Jan 11, 2003
    I'm not a fan of Catherine Zeta-Jones, but she did a spectacular job in this musical. However, I don't think her role was big enough get her a nomination for best actress. Definitely a Golden Globe, though. Those fuzzy little foreigners will eat her up.
  60. JasonD.
    Jan 1, 2003
    Excellent film.
  61. BarryR.
    Jan 10, 2003
    "Chicago" is one of those movies that attempts to duplicate and bring the thrills and excitement of a live stage presentation to the movie theater. Not only is the transition difficult but in most cases, it is unsuccessful. This movie falls into that category and fails to capture the magic of live theater even though it tries very hard to do it. Armed with three (3) wonderful actors, "Chicago" is one of those movies that attempts to duplicate and bring the thrills and excitement of a live stage presentation to the movie theater. Not only is the transition difficult but in most cases, it is unsuccessful. This movie falls into that category and fails to capture the magic of live theater even though it tries very hard to do it. Armed with three (3) wonderful actors, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Renee Zellweger and Richard Gere, the film is nevertheless two dimensional and always seems to be in some sort of a frenzy. It is not easy to watch as marvelous dancers and dance numbers parade in and out of scenes with a pace that is more tiring to watch than interesting. The Kander/Ebb score is OK but not great and considering that it dominates the entire film, it tends to detract from the experience. A good musical needs good music. This one does not meet that prerequisite. The dance scenes, although interesting to watch, I think need to viewed live on stage. That being said, the Zeta-Jones, Zellweger and Gere singing and dancing performances are truly outstanding but deserve a better vehicle for their exhibition. Zeta-Jones and Gere (yes, Gere) both have musical theater backgrounds which becomes quite obvious when you see and hear them perform. Ms. Zellweger, like her co-stars, is a real surprise talent and adds to this otherwise frenzied and too rapidly paced picture. John Reilly, a "whatshisface" -type character also displays a wonderful singing voice and musical/comedy flair The movie gets a 7 based, for the most part, on the wonderful performances of its stars. Without them, however, Chicago would be just another failed attempt to bring the magic of a live theatrcal presentation to the big screen. Expand
  62. JeffreyL.Shannon-GoldenAgeManiac!
    Jan 13, 2003
    Though i'm not really a musical genre fan. This is terrificly fast-paced & entertaining! OSCAR will-likely/safely is more like-it, cite this in the end? Over the greater>"GONY!?" The late *BOB FOSSE's print however, is all-over this (on the reg. critic scale: 0 to 4!)-I rated it four stars! All in all, been a good yr. next to last couple. Expect this & Scorsese epic to earn Though i'm not really a musical genre fan. This is terrificly fast-paced & entertaining! OSCAR will-likely/safely is more like-it, cite this in the end? Over the greater>"GONY!?" The late *BOB FOSSE's print however, is all-over this (on the reg. critic scale: 0 to 4!)-I rated it four stars! All in all, been a good yr. next to last couple. Expect this & Scorsese epic to earn about: 11 to 13 noms. Expand
  63. BenW
    Oct 28, 2003
    Truly captures the glitz, glamour, corruption, and most importantly -- the style of the 1930's. "Chicago" is a brilliant film filled to the brim with style, color, raunch, and fun, all backed up with spectacular performances and dazzling song and dance from every actor in the film, especially Renée Zellweger and Catherine Zeta-Jones. The songs are all so catchy and intriguing Truly captures the glitz, glamour, corruption, and most importantly -- the style of the 1930's. "Chicago" is a brilliant film filled to the brim with style, color, raunch, and fun, all backed up with spectacular performances and dazzling song and dance from every actor in the film, especially Renée Zellweger and Catherine Zeta-Jones. The songs are all so catchy and intriguing to watch, even to listen to. This may be one of the few films with a soundtrack you will actually WANT to buy. "Chicago" is a true '10'. Expand
  64. JackD.
    Jan 3, 2003
    Dont miss it! After you get over the initial shock of the three stars singing and dancing, you will thoroughly enjoy this movie...if only Director Rob Marshall wasn't so in love with extreme closeups, I would have given it an 11 rating....
  65. ChadS.
    Jan 6, 2003
    Unusual for a Hawaii audience, a good number of people hung around for the closing credits. I think they wanted to know if Catherine Zeta-Jones and Renee Zelweger were pulling a Marnie Nixon. The musical numbers are sung with such authority, it's shocking. As the credits scroll, you can judge for yourself if Zeta-Jones' rendition of "All That Jazz" holds up without her face and Unusual for a Hawaii audience, a good number of people hung around for the closing credits. I think they wanted to know if Catherine Zeta-Jones and Renee Zelweger were pulling a Marnie Nixon. The musical numbers are sung with such authority, it's shocking. As the credits scroll, you can judge for yourself if Zeta-Jones' rendition of "All That Jazz" holds up without her face and body convincing us that she can sing. "Chicago" is thoroughly entertaining, and on occasion, thrilling, in a way that CGI can never top. Whoever's most responsible for staging the "Cell Block Tango" is a genius. Good god! Even John C. Reilly pulls off his number! Expand
  66. JoshB.
    Jan 7, 2003
    This Movie is "Moulin Rouge" but ten times better. Rob Marshall blows me away with his movies. Renee Zellweger, Catherine Zeta-Jones, and Richard Gere have never looked better in a movie before. All of them have blow me away with singing and DANCING. The best scene was the CELL BLOCK TANGO!!! IT'S A MUST SEE!
  67. TateJ.
    Jan 9, 2003
    One of the best movies I have seen in a long time! Lively, colorful and energetic. You really have to appreciate Zeta-Jones & Gere playing such fantastic roles! Zellweger gives a good performance, but she wasn't exactly right for the role. So let me warn you that when you see this IT IS A MUSICAL! I can't tell you how many people said that they didn't like all the singing One of the best movies I have seen in a long time! Lively, colorful and energetic. You really have to appreciate Zeta-Jones & Gere playing such fantastic roles! Zellweger gives a good performance, but she wasn't exactly right for the role. So let me warn you that when you see this IT IS A MUSICAL! I can't tell you how many people said that they didn't like all the singing and dancing, anyone who gives this a bad review is abviously artistically disinclined. Expand
  68. AndrewM.
    Feb 10, 2003
    Just fantastic. Who would have expected a movie musical to work so well? Not only is the music great, but Zellweger's acting really holds up under the weight of all the thrilling razzle dazzle. Great performances, great entertainment, and a great time!
  69. LouisP.
    Feb 8, 2003
    The film deserves its praise. Thrilling and entertaining! Simply put....IT ROCKS!
  70. CarlyI.
    Mar 15, 2003
    I found the singing in this movie to be exceptional. Whoever thinks the singing in this movie is "dead" doesn't know what the word singing means. Of course there was NO sypathetic characters. Kids, this is in the 1920s! We weren't so friendly back then! Plus, was an extremely dangerous back then in Chicago (still is). It was jazz and liquor back then! Not a good mix. This movie I found the singing in this movie to be exceptional. Whoever thinks the singing in this movie is "dead" doesn't know what the word singing means. Of course there was NO sypathetic characters. Kids, this is in the 1920s! We weren't so friendly back then! Plus, was an extremely dangerous back then in Chicago (still is). It was jazz and liquor back then! Not a good mix. This movie deserves to win an Oscar! Expand
  71. JoelC.
    Mar 16, 2003
    This movie is about as good as the Chicago Bull's after Jordan left. Thats Chicago (in the kweer that is Gere's voice).
  72. HenryBee
    Mar 20, 2003
    Some movies have to be seen in the theatres - such is this year's best picture nomination, Chicago. It is everything a moviegoer could ask for. The music and the quality of the recording are especially excellent. So do your ears a favour, jump in to a good theatre and watch this one. You WILL NOT want to wait for the DVD/VHS release.
  73. KatyT.
    Mar 28, 2003
    IT WAS THE BEST MOVIE I HAVE EVER SEEN!!!!!
  74. JohnM.
    Mar 29, 2003
    Great kix moulin crap rouge :)
  75. KayW.
    Apr 27, 2003
    Best movie ever!!!!!!
  76. ChristopherH.
    May 13, 2003
    GREAT!
  77. DavidB.
    May 14, 2003
    The most over-rated film of the year. Honestly, how anyone can think that this film has any depth to it is beyond me. Chicago rams it's silly message about celebrity down your throat and doesn't seem to mind that it's a point that's been made a million times before and much more subtly. In fact, there really isn't much of a movie here. One song immediately leads The most over-rated film of the year. Honestly, how anyone can think that this film has any depth to it is beyond me. Chicago rams it's silly message about celebrity down your throat and doesn't seem to mind that it's a point that's been made a million times before and much more subtly. In fact, there really isn't much of a movie here. One song immediately leads into another with no chance to really develop any of the characters. In many ways, it's more a string of music videos than a film. Bottom line is, this movie is all style and no substance. And even the style isn't that amazing (just shamelessly copying Bob Fosse) Go watch Cabaret instead. It actually has something to it. Expand
  78. Dr.Steve
    Aug 3, 2003
    I was very disappointed. My wife loved it, but I found it boring and pointless, utterly without substance. Several of the songs have been in other productions, so it seemed derivative--although I concede that I may simply have seen some of those others before I saw this one, given that the Broadway show has been playing for years and years. It struck me as a shallow vehicle for singing I was very disappointed. My wife loved it, but I found it boring and pointless, utterly without substance. Several of the songs have been in other productions, so it seemed derivative--although I concede that I may simply have seen some of those others before I saw this one, given that the Broadway show has been playing for years and years. It struck me as a shallow vehicle for singing and dancing. Other musicals have managed to be at least somewhat more substantive (e.g, The Sound of Music). Expand
  79. PatC.
    Jan 10, 2004
    This movie is all energy and facade. The directionless plot continually threatens to dilute a pretension that could not have been more wildly and convincingly asserted. The only thing endearing about the characters is that they sure can put on quite a show. Fantastically entertaining, with the freedom that comes only from embracing something disposable. It is swine casting pearls non-stop This movie is all energy and facade. The directionless plot continually threatens to dilute a pretension that could not have been more wildly and convincingly asserted. The only thing endearing about the characters is that they sure can put on quite a show. Fantastically entertaining, with the freedom that comes only from embracing something disposable. It is swine casting pearls non-stop to the audience. Expand
  80. nataliec.
    Mar 14, 2005
    Amazingly fantastic- chicago has evrything , great singing dancing acting- everything a good movie should be!!!
    Jul 9, 2005
    Forget what you think of musicals. This one embraces the roaring twenties, and thanks to Renee Zellweger, Catharine Zeta-Jones, and Richard Gere, this one contains more of what makes musicals fun and exciting to watch.
  82. JuanC.
    Jun 7, 2008
    This movie is one of the best musical ever made! High energy from the cast to crew makes this sizzle and makes the audience under the Chicago Fever.
  83. PaulF.
    Feb 4, 2009
    I like this musical a lot more than I thought I would. The world has been due for some updated ones. I was surprised to see how well Rene Zellweger could sing. Also even more surprised that Richard Gere could sing even at all. Loved his tap dancing court scene. The cast was just about perfect for the movie and all the songs I'd love to own for my music library. Reminds me a bit of I like this musical a lot more than I thought I would. The world has been due for some updated ones. I was surprised to see how well Rene Zellweger could sing. Also even more surprised that Richard Gere could sing even at all. Loved his tap dancing court scene. The cast was just about perfect for the movie and all the songs I'd love to own for my music library. Reminds me a bit of Madonna in Dick Tracy. I was also impressed at not only the choreography but also the lighting. *WARNING SPOILER* The Jones and Zellweger duo in the end with great with the tommy guns and popping lights. It was all so flashy with piazza. Chicago comes highly recommended in my book. It's one of these movies you can see ever so often and still be entertained. Expand
  84. GavinC.
    Jul 26, 2009
    A very funny, very entertaining film with an interesting plot.
  85. MichaelM.
    Dec 27, 2002
    Imaginative, creative transition from B'way to screen.
  86. FrancineG.
    Dec 28, 2002
    The success of Moulin Rouge made this movie possible. It's frenetic pace, production numbers, and smash mouth bravura performances by Catherine Zeta-Jones, Renee Zellweger, Richard Gere and John C. Reilly propells it into a sure thing Oscar pick, and maybe winner. Grab your mother, brother, friend or neighbor and go once, twice and again. It is magical.
  87. MaryK.
    Dec 30, 2002
    Energetic, absolutely terrific musical.
  88. GregO.
    Jan 11, 2003
    Rapid, Unusual, Cheeky and a pleasant surprise. Get over the details and let the razzle dazzle win you over.
  89. HalW.
    Nov 28, 2003
    The costumes and cast were excellent and full of life but the storyline was a bit dull to me and dragged the whole movie down.
  90. RobertH.
    Jan 13, 2003
    Saw Moulin Rouge and thought it was just so-so. Chicago is ten times better. It is very creative, sensual, and breezy. Richard Gere is brilliant singing and tap dancing his way in Court, Renee Zellweger shines as the murderess who wants to be a star, but Catherine Zeta-Jones proves that she is much more than just a pretty face as she completely steals the show.
  91. KatherineB.
    Mar 14, 2003
    Chicago brings new hope to those who wish that the movie musical had never died. The singing and dancing by Gere, Zellweger, and especially Zeta-Jones came as a truly delightful surprise; I refuse to agree with those who claim that the dancing was done by anyone besides these three amazing actors. Marshall's idea to make almost all of the musical numbers figments of Roxie's Chicago brings new hope to those who wish that the movie musical had never died. The singing and dancing by Gere, Zellweger, and especially Zeta-Jones came as a truly delightful surprise; I refuse to agree with those who claim that the dancing was done by anyone besides these three amazing actors. Marshall's idea to make almost all of the musical numbers figments of Roxie's imagination was nothing less than a brilliant adaptation of the original broadway piece for the motion picture. I have seen this movie three times and have not yet grown tired of it. The soundtrack is exceptional as well. Expand
  92. DianeD.
    Mar 24, 2003
    Excrutiatingly obvious story, no sympathetic characters, and no discernable difference from Bob Fosse movies of the 1970's.
  93. RazzleDazzlethem
    Mar 25, 2003
    Fantastic! You don't know how happy I was that this movie won Best Picture! I can't believe Richard Gere wasn't nominated for Best Actor or Best Supporting Actor. Sure, John C. Reily was good, but Gere was FANTASTIC. Catherine Zeta-Jones rocks and definitely deserved that Oscar. It was disappointing that Renee Zellweger didn't win, but then again, the Best Actress Fantastic! You don't know how happy I was that this movie won Best Picture! I can't believe Richard Gere wasn't nominated for Best Actor or Best Supporting Actor. Sure, John C. Reily was good, but Gere was FANTASTIC. Catherine Zeta-Jones rocks and definitely deserved that Oscar. It was disappointing that Renee Zellweger didn't win, but then again, the Best Actress category had so many amazing actresses that Nicole Kidman won--by a nose. Quit complaining about no sympathetic characters. What were you expecting from a jailhouse full of murderers and an attorney who sleeps with other women? Expand
  94. K.K.
    Apr 11, 2003
    Whoever finds this movie "dull" is obviously someone who finds movies like Possession (no offense, but I found it REALLY boring) more entertaining. How can you hate the lights, costumes, and energy each song had? It was like watching a Broadway play! Though I'll admit, I was excpecting a better ending (it needed a better song) but that's not enough to make me complain A LOT Whoever finds this movie "dull" is obviously someone who finds movies like Possession (no offense, but I found it REALLY boring) more entertaining. How can you hate the lights, costumes, and energy each song had? It was like watching a Broadway play! Though I'll admit, I was excpecting a better ending (it needed a better song) but that's not enough to make me complain A LOT about this film. Of course you feel hatred for the characters in this film...THAT'S Chicago! Expand
  95. MarvS.
    Apr 12, 2003
    One of the biggest pieces of crap that i have had the misfortune to see. I like musicals in general but this was truly wretched. How does a piece of crap like this win an Oscar?
  96. BENCHASE
    Apr 25, 2003
    See this movie as often as possible in the best theater conditions. It is truly a satisfying longed-for treat.
  97. AleC
    Nov 12, 2004
    THE BEST 2002 FILM!!!!
  98. DaveC.
    Jul 21, 2004
    A very routine celluloid adaptation of the broadway music. Never really demonstrates any creativity in bringing it to screen and it doesn't help that the dance sequences are ordinary and Renee Zellweger and Catherine Zeta Jones' vocals aren't up to scratch. An enjoyable film but nothing to shout about.
  99. TylerB
    Aug 23, 2004
    This movie is the best movie ever made, in my opinion. Oh, and to "Buttered Popcorn": How dare you give it a zero. You said you watched 10 minutes of it, did you even give it a chance? Catherine Zeta-Jones is the perfect Velma Kelly. Renee` Zellweger is the perfect Roxie Hart. Richard Gere is the perfect Billy Flynn. I don't know what I would do without this movie. It deserves a 10 This movie is the best movie ever made, in my opinion. Oh, and to "Buttered Popcorn": How dare you give it a zero. You said you watched 10 minutes of it, did you even give it a chance? Catherine Zeta-Jones is the perfect Velma Kelly. Renee` Zellweger is the perfect Roxie Hart. Richard Gere is the perfect Billy Flynn. I don't know what I would do without this movie. It deserves a 10 all the way. This is the best movie ever made. The songs are absolutely amazing, they give me shivers down my spine. The acts are amazing, just look at "Cell Block Tango" or "Razzle Dazzle" I am obsessed with this movie. Thank you very much. Expand
  100. JayH.
    Aug 27, 2008
    Brilliant musical, one of the best ever made. The cast is amazing, the choreography is impressive, the cinematography, score, art direction - everything is incredible. Mesmerizing and magnificent.

1. Reviewed by: Noel Murray
    Mar 3, 2014
    The original musical holds up well, and Marshall and Condon’s adaption doesn’t wreck it.
  2. Freshly transplanted from the stage, is a thrilling ode to the intertwined glories of sex, showmanship, and lying: what the film calls ''the old razzle-dazzle.''
  3. I seem to be in a distinct minority in finding the satire toothless, obvious, and insufferably glib -- Still, I found genuine pleasure in watching Catherine Zeta-Jones, Renee Zellweger, Richard Gere, and John C. Reilly try their hands at singing and dancing.