8.8

1. Dec 26, 2011
    I enjoyed Jack Nicholson's slow yet piercing performance as well as the cinematography, However what makes this one stand amongst other movies is Roman Polanski. His humor-full, danger-full, masterful direction hits the jack pot.
  2. Jul 14, 2013
    I hate Roman Polinski but sometimes criminals can be masters. "Politicians, ugly buildings and whores all get respectable if they last long enough," says John Huston's crooked construction magnate Noah Cross in this remarkable neo-noir by Roman Polanski, now nationally rereleased in cinemas (like Repulsion) in connection with a retrospective at London's BFI Southbank. What the passage ofI hate Roman Polinski but sometimes criminals can be masters. "Politicians, ugly buildings and whores all get respectable if they last long enough," says John Huston's crooked construction magnate Noah Cross in this remarkable neo-noir by Roman Polanski, now nationally rereleased in cinemas (like Repulsion) in connection with a retrospective at London's BFI Southbank. What the passage of time has done for this superlative 1974 film is progressively lessen our sense of its being simply a modern pastiche of the classic 30s gumshoe thrillers. The time-gap has narrowed, and it now looks like a classic in a direct line of succession to those earlier pictures.
    As bruised and cynical as the decade that produced it, this noir classic benefits from Robert Towne's brilliant screenplay, director Roman Polanski's steady hand, and wonderful performances from Jack Nicholson and Faye Dunaway.
  3. Jan 8, 2013
    The best Neo-Noir movie ever made. It combines all the intrinsic motivators of the sole and the hunting of human beings. It still got shunned from the Oscars though because of the godfather. I don't have much to say other than the best, simply the best
  4. Aug 19, 2010
    Private Investigator, woman hires him to catch her cheating husband, husband's real wife turns up, husband drowns, corruption, twists & turns.
    Film noir with Jack Nicholson doing what he does best before he started grunting his way through films. It has a great atmosphere with it set in 1930s Los Angeles & helped by good dialogue, music & locations.
    Definitely an influence for later films
    Definitely an influence for later films with LA Confidential & Basic Instinct taking from this..
  5. Jan 18, 2011
    One of my favorite Film Noir movies. Stylishly shot, beautifully acted, and intriguing to the last frame. Jack Nicholson shines in an early role (you can tell just by watching him that he was destined to be a star) but perhaps the unspoken star would have to be John Huston who portrays evil to a perfection. Unfortunately for Chinatown I have never been a big fan of the film noir genre soOne of my favorite Film Noir movies. Stylishly shot, beautifully acted, and intriguing to the last frame. Jack Nicholson shines in an early role (you can tell just by watching him that he was destined to be a star) but perhaps the unspoken star would have to be John Huston who portrays evil to a perfection. Unfortunately for Chinatown I have never been a big fan of the film noir genre so it it made it difficult to enjoy at times, yet as such it is still a fantastic movie. Expand
  6. Jun 9, 2013
    Often found on ‘critics choice’ lists Chinatown is certainly amongst the best movies of the 70’s as well as ranking amongst the legendary Jack Nicholson’s greatest movies. Playing with film noir conventions the movie gradually unveils its ever thickening plot throughout its two hour running time to reach its unexpected conclusion.
  7. j30
    Jan 26, 2012
    This neo-noir, old school movie rocks. The masterful Roman Polanski directs this powerhouse of a movie with Jack Nicholson and Faye Dunaway are at their best. I can't recommend this movie enough.
  8. Jun 19, 2014
    This one was great, even if I did not love the ending. Jack Nicholson's performance here is awesome as if Faye Dunaway's. Both really command attention when on sceen and truly kill their roles. In addition, despite what you may think of the man, Roman Polanski directs this one perfectly. The cinematography is also great as it really manages to perfectly capture the look and feel of old LosThis one was great, even if I did not love the ending. Jack Nicholson's performance here is awesome as if Faye Dunaway's. Both really command attention when on sceen and truly kill their roles. In addition, despite what you may think of the man, Roman Polanski directs this one perfectly. The cinematography is also great as it really manages to perfectly capture the look and feel of old Los Angeles and, most impressively, makes this film look timeless. Honestly, it fits in perfectly with the films that came before, but could be passed off as a newer film at the same time. The story is great as well, thanks not just to the acting, but to a great script as well. The revealing of the facts from the lies in this mystery thriller is perfectly executed and makes the film extremely to watch as you try to figure out exactly what happened here. However, the only drawback here for me is the ending. I am ok with the mood they were going for, but really, the way the events transpired left me feeling unsatisfied to a degree. Now, it does not outweigh the greatness before, but I just wish the ending was a bit better for my liking. In spite of that, Chinatown is a great, near perfect neo-noir film that does not feel aged in the least. Expand
  9. Oct 17, 2012
    Roman Polanski's American made film, first since Rosemary's Baby shows him again in total command of talent and physical filmmaking elements. I seen The Carrie Teaser Trailer , This is the 4th movie of Carrie ,Why A Carrie Remake, in God's name?!!!! It's a perfect film! Brian de Palma filmed it perfectly, Sissy Spacek and Piper Laurie are absolutely perfect ,they both got Oscar nominationsRoman Polanski's American made film, first since Rosemary's Baby shows him again in total command of talent and physical filmmaking elements. I seen The Carrie Teaser Trailer , This is the 4th movie of Carrie ,Why A Carrie Remake, in God's name?!!!! It's a perfect film! Brian de Palma filmed it perfectly, Sissy Spacek and Piper Laurie are absolutely perfect ,they both got Oscar nominations out of it, for God sake! Chloë look's like Angela Bettis in Carrie 2002 ,For me the face of Sissy Spacek in Carrie 1976 is more scary ,i am not gonna spend my money for see this silly remake ,Why the hell carrie burns the Town? the people who lives in the town they didn't do noting to carrie ,it's just stupid this New Carrie movie look's like Carrie 2002 or Volcano Expand
  10. Sep 5, 2014
    With a narrative that unfolds like a tangled, twisted slinky and camerawork that's as striking and impressive as the film's performances, "Chinatown" rightfully earns itself a place within the dark and complex landscape that is the noir genre.
  11. Feb 10, 2014
    Chinatown is one of the most impressive examples of neo-noir I have ever seen. It has got a cocky detective investigating a complex mystery, lots of smoking and drinking, music that lulls the mind, and a hot woman or two.

When Jake is approached by a woman who wants to find out if her husband has been cheating on her, he discourages her as not everything that could be found is worth finding out about. Sure enough, he finds that there is another girl and the story leaks to the papers. But then another woman, who is the real Mrs. Mulwray, shows up and threatens to sue him.

Mr. Mulwray is frequently spotted around places looking at soil. Mrs. Mulwray lies with her every word. What is she hiding? Jake goes from one person to another in search of the truth. He knows there is something everyone is keeping from him. That is the whole mystery and what he must find out. No one is who they seem to be. People die and he is chased and escapes death several times.

Mr. Mulwray is against the building of a dam, arguing that the last one that he helped build resulted in an accident that killed hundreds. The city is against him as they can't seem to understand his reasoning_ LA is going dry and something must be done.

There are swindlers at every turn and when Jake comes upon them he is overwhelmed. Mrs. Mulwray is her only ally, and whether he likes it or not, or even trusts her, there's no one else who is going to believe the fantastic story he is going to tell them for the truth.

The time and the life depicted_ 1930s was caught authentically with the set design, costumes, cars, rooms etc. Polanski lingers on the environment and lets us become a part of it and feel it completely. Chinatown is as much about the experience of that time as it is about the water dispute and the deaths surrounding it. The sense of despair, so essential to the genre, is exemplified in the ending. From the plot and the intrigue to the mind-boggling mystery to the set design to the character development, Chinatown is one of the most perfect films ever made.
  12. Jan 11, 2015
    As watchable today as it was when it was made, Polanski and writer Towne's ode to LA noir is one of the last great films to come out of the final years of the studios. Nicholson's private eye being played by everybody is the reminder of how well Polanski works with actors and how much he could have achieved if fate had not dealt him a different hand. A must see for anybody serious about film.
  13. Apr 27, 2014
    Chinatown is hands down Polanski's best film- it knows where it's going, is shot beautifully, and has some great acting. Every scene seems better than the last, the way Towne builds on the plot; no part of the movie isn't unnecessary. Other than that, the movie is thrilling and very entertaining, with themes about human nature, impulse, and the L.A. dream. Even the title is metaphoric;Chinatown is hands down Polanski's best film- it knows where it's going, is shot beautifully, and has some great acting. Every scene seems better than the last, the way Towne builds on the plot; no part of the movie isn't unnecessary. Other than that, the movie is thrilling and very entertaining, with themes about human nature, impulse, and the L.A. dream. Even the title is metaphoric; Gittes mentioned his past in Chinatown throughout the film, and he said it with a certain negative connotation. It's point is that it's hard to live with the past, especially when you don't fully understand it, and sometimes you are forced to confront it. Expand
  14. Aug 16, 2014
    One of the best directors, Roman Polanski, showed film students and everyone else, how a good movie is directed and what screenplay it has. A good screenplay is essential for a good movie and besides Casablanca and Pulp Fiction, Chinatown's is the one of the best screenplays ever in movie industry. Marvelous performances by A-list actors like Nicholson and Faye drive the complicated storyOne of the best directors, Roman Polanski, showed film students and everyone else, how a good movie is directed and what screenplay it has. A good screenplay is essential for a good movie and besides Casablanca and Pulp Fiction, Chinatown's is the one of the best screenplays ever in movie industry. Marvelous performances by A-list actors like Nicholson and Faye drive the complicated story of love and mystery. Brilliant movie. Expand
  15. chw
    Oct 13, 2014
    Chinatown was pretty good. The actors were great, especially Jack Nicholson. The story was really good too, but it was slow and boring like Se7en was.
  16. May 4, 2015
    Ida Sessions: "Are you alone?"

J.J. Gittes: "Isn't everybody?" The story to Chinatown is about a private detective, Jake Gittes, hired to investigate an adultery case, stumbles on the plot of a murder involving incest and the privatization of water through state and municipal corruption, land use and real estate. If he doesn't drop the case at once he faces threats of legal action,
    Ida Sessions: "Are you alone?"

J.J. Gittes: "Isn't everybody?"

The story to Chinatown is about a private detective, Jake Gittes, hired to investigate an adultery case, stumbles on the plot of a murder involving incest and the privatization of water through state and municipal corruption, land use and real estate. If he doesn't drop the case at once he faces threats of legal action, but he pursues it anyway, slowly uncovering a vast conspiracy.

Some people may not know but I got a lot of things to do and those things are reviewing 8 Movies, three TV shows and two video games so basically that's why I'm a bit behind of the new releases. Then and now I have to take a little break or a day off from doing this because well I can be a bit tried of doing this, but I still have fun reviewing and I'm extremely proud to be talking about the great classics and the new films, TV shows and games that come out. Speaking of cult classics, Chinatown was on top of my list to watch next, because I heard nothing but amazing things about this movie and after watching it I can agree that this movie was outstanding.

Jack Nicholson is now known as the single best actor of all time just like Daniel Day-Lewis, Robert De Niro, Marlon Brando and Al Pacino, and in this movie his talent dose shine in this movie. He played his so well that I actually didn't fully hate him because in the movie his character is kind of a A-hole but I didn't hate him, if a different director took the director chair and directed the movie differently then maybe I would have dislike him. Jack Nicholson did probably his 4th best performance that I've seen from him.

The movie is filled with lines that I won't lie but the lines have stuck with me after the movie was over and I got to give the writers credit for that. The music in this movie has that smooth jazzy beat to it and that totally fitted the movie so well. The cinematography in this movie was shot beautifully and just perfection with it's open and normal shots.

For problems I don't really have any problems to be honest. I didn't find a single thing that I dislike or bothered me, no wonder it's classic.
  17. Apr 18, 2015
    This movie is perfect in every respect -- acting, directing, writing, costumes and music. It is perhaps Nicholson's best role. One of the few where he does not scream or yell. (Although Cuckoo's Nest may be better, and he screams and yells alot there.)

A nearly flawless example of movie composition, with close examination revealing how carefully it was put together. For those who take a less studious and more visceral approach to movie viewing, it's also worth noting that Chinatown is a superior thriller - one that will keep viewers involved and "in the moment" until the final, mournful scene has come to a conclusion.
    As much as I admire the work of both (Roman) Polanski and (Jack) Nicholson, I found Chinatown tedious from beginning to just before the end. [15 July 1974]
  3. Reviewed by: Don Druker
    A bit abstract, though gorgeously shot (by John Alonzo) and cleverly plotted (by Robert Towne), Polanski's film suggests that the rules of the game are written in some strange, untranslatable language, and that everyone's an alien and, ultimately, a victim.