7.3

1. Sep 23, 2014
    This movie makes me excited for Josh Trank`s future projects because his work is unique and surprisingly redeemable. Dane DeHaan delivered a stellar performance, which was much needed because of the distractingly poor CGI. I was not bothered by the "found footage" aspect at all, and believed that it helped me learn more about Andrew`s character as I could see the world from his perspective. Apart from a rushed conclusion, Chronicle was a nice surprise that is definitely worth checking out, especially if you are a fan of sci-fi and superhero movies. Expand
  2. Aug 24, 2014
    A film in a film - a movie told through camera. Not the first time, and it seems to have become a bit of a trend, but this one makes a decent job of it. Only near the end the movie seems to lose its grasp a little, finding it hard to follow the original idea (it seem a bit forced).

The characters feel real. They are young, they aren't perfect, inside or out, and especially Dane DeHaan
    as Andrew is disturbingly... disturbed. But you can understand him, and feel sorry for him, even when he snaps. You can relate to it, as you can relate to each and every troubled youth in this world.

"Chronicle" itself is a story of three boys who are not exactly connected, but whom a common incident pulls together, giving them a sense of unity. Yet even the most amazing, bizarre similarity cannot sew together something that didn't belong together previously, and the newly-formed friendship begins to crack, bit by bit.

The special effects were rather well made, and even via camera they looked real enough. Especially because of the view point, the events seemed chaotic and almost disturbingly real; if it could happen, it would be just like this, and it would be brutal.

There's no coming of age. There's no pastel happy ending. There's only what people make of each other, by their actions and by their choices - a cause, an effect, and a little bit of extraterrestrial spicing things up.
  3. Jul 5, 2014
    Dane Dehaan is obviously appealing and the movie is entertaining, but I don't think it's better than the trailer. I'm not a fan of found footage but this was good.
  4. May 9, 2014
    My favorite character in this film was the camera. Even though I normally dislike "found footage" style movies, the way they personified the camera was very unique and interesting. Shots become more meaningful and carry more depth when you realize how the camera is it's own person while being an extension of Andrew. I have never seen a movie where you see a camera's footage and then the camera itself from a third-person perspective. Obviously, the film style of character documentation comes with the cliche, "Did you get that?" and other such phrases, but I was pleasantly surprised at how much it added to the story. Even though it might be difficult, I would love to see more movies include the camera as a character. Expand
  5. Apr 26, 2014
    A brilliant will made movie with a lot of heart and soul shoved into the project. The characters are likable and easy to relate 2. The film really does a great job and i very much recommend watching the film

6. Apr 2, 2014
    Watched Chronicle. A different superhero film. The production values were very disappointing and the camera work was very ordinary, shaky. Could have done in a conventional manner without experimenting with video styled camera takes. The film for its emotional connect towards Andrew's plight and performance of the cast. Otherwise there is too many amateurish moments for the ordinary viewer to ignore easily. A solid 6 out of 10 and nothing to more. A good watch if you want to just waste your time. Expand
  7. Mar 21, 2014
    It is just a group of teenage boys having nose periods all the bloody time. Not even funny or enjoyable.. I don't even need to go into detail, characters are bad, plot is bad, though i do like action movies, this is just horrible. I still can't believe that i sat through this whole movie.
  8. Mar 10, 2014
    by far one of the best "found footage" films although they accomplish this via the camera being held by the characters telekinetic powers. really blurs the lines between protagonist and antagonist as you feel more and more sympathy for Andrew and the epic clash he has with his Cousin.
  9. Jan 5, 2014
    In a vast landscape of cheesy, over-the-top superhero movies that lack a true heart and soul, Chronicle is a story packed with philosophical and emotional punch with amazing acting and a first-person "camera" perspective that fits the movie perfectly. The characters and their situations are so realistic and so easy to relate to, that it is hard not to sympathize even with the antagonist. My only complaint might be the long time it takes for the real theme of the movie to be easily seen, but since the movie is only 90 minutes anyway, the action in the meantime makes this complain a minor detail that can easily get lost in the otherwise brilliant movie. Expand
  10. Dec 15, 2013
    I was never into superhero movies before I watched Chronicle, but after this I had to watch every one I could get my hands on. It's just a fantastically well crafted movie, even more so because it doesn't act all idealistic about the characters. They're real teenagers who do stupid for fun with their newfound powers, but it also violently shows how corrupted someone can be when given power, especially when they had less than none before. The three characters are superbly fleshed out and are all brilliant actors, the effects are also perfect, meeting the exact space between fake-looking and obvious-CGI. It's a convincing story that makes you give a about the characters, and as a result you feel good when you watch them mess around with their powers. The flying scene is a good example, I was practically grinning watching it as the first-person view lets you experience it as the characters do. The final battle is also brilliant, and the perfect way for it to end. The last twenty seconds or so are a little odd but I can forgive the film for that. The film overall is thought provoking and an excellent study of what happens when irresponsible people are given the power of gods. Expand
  11. Aug 14, 2013
    A fresh and exciting take at both the found footage and superhero origin stories. Chronicle is bolstered by strong performances, impressive special effects, and a profound story about life decisions and there sometimes cruel consequences.
  12. Jul 22, 2013
    Summary
    +Great acting particularly from the character Andrew (will refer to actors by name of character), who portrays a horrific story of abandonment.
    +While the story is pretty predictable it is still interesting, with a well-rounded ending.
    +Fantastic camera shots making you feel you are getting the view through the characters eyes.
    +Excellent interaction between the characters
    meaning the film has more substance than your standard action movie.
    +Nice use of special effects, which in a way help to add bits of comedy to help break up the predictable nature of the story.
    -Parts of the film fall flat due to not well executed script writing.
    -The development of Andrew’s psychopathy feels cheesy and is difficult to take seriously.
    -Some of the characters aren’t well portrayed, in particularly Andrews’s dad who while playing a major role in Andrew’s insanity, isn’t featured enough.

Nevertheless despite such negatives, the film is worth a watch, for any movie fan, and I hope that there will be a sequel.

Full Review
    The film starts of fairly slow, as the focus rests on the audience for about 10minutes, developing an understanding for Andrew, who has to deal with an abusive father, a dying mother, and being at the bottom of the social hierarchy at school. While this section is largely well executed with convincing acting, one can’t help but wished for more originality. That said though a major positive of the film is the introduction of Andrew as a cameraman, as he films everything in his life. This helps to get a more interesting take on Andrew’s problems.

Nevertheless the film quickly picks up as Andrew, Steve (a friend he meets at a barn dance) and Matt (Andrews cousin), develop the power telekinesis. While it is a bit of a surprise when they first display their powers, the fact you never find out exactly how they developed it is actually a nice loop hole as it keeps a sense of mystery throughout the film. This section is a nice relaxing moment as it focuses on the development of the friends’ friendship. In particularly the scene at the mall with Matt trying to pull gum out of a guy’s mouth, is a particular giggle. This section is enhanced by clever acting and interesting concepts like using telekinesis to enhance sexual performance.

However what is really clever about this mid-section of the film is how behind the scenes you begin to realise their power is developing to dangerous levels (in the film telekinesis is like a muscle and it gets stronger the more they use it). This danger is highlighted when Andrew cause a car to crash. In this particularly scene the lack of care in Andrew emerges as he can’t understand what he did wrong. Nevertheless the friends quickly develop their powers further by having a hoot while flying. This flying scene helps to maintain that balances between using telekinesis for fun, and it being deadly, meaning the action packed bit of the film is to come, and helping to maintain the audience’s suspense.

Furthermore this high quality is maintained throughout the rest of the film (for the most part) and in particularly the fight section at the end of the film is cleverly pulled off, with interesting choice of weapons like a flying bus. Such creativity in this fight section helps to maintain interest, as it makes the film feel more special than your average action film, where most of the focus appears to be focused on special effects. This is followed up by an ending which is balanced ending as it is well executed ending demonstrating the real danger behind too much power. This once again adds to the specialness of the film cause while the ending is predictable, it is well executed.

If there is a major section where the film falls flat, it is the downfall of Andrew. This is largely let down by lack of originality, because essential Andrew develops ideas of Social Darwinism meaning he is not restricted by normal moral restrictions, meaning he begins using his power in sinister ways e.g. dealing with bullies at school. Unfortunately Andrews’s development of psychopathy is a bit cheesy, and it means that the story becomes predictable, because it becomes obvious where he powers would end up leading him to.

There are other areas where the film seems to have failed to capitalise on opportunities to make the film legendary. The main area is the lack of development of certain characters. The most obvious one is Andrew’s dad who you learn very little about beyond his alcoholism meaning his actions aren’t interesting because his motives are largely unknown. The other majorly under-developed character is that of Casey (Matt’s girl) who in meaning ways seems more like a filler than anything else, as her role is largely to film (she films things for her vlog) elements of the film Andrew isn’t present in.

Nevertheless the film is certainly worth a watch, due to the combination of acting and interesting elements, combined with nice action.
  13. Jul 20, 2013
    This is a tough call. While the premise is interesting, and the story quite entertaining, something's just missing with "Chronicle." It plays around with the whole superhero/villain theme, which is rather refreshing. It seems that in most sci-fi stories that involve sudden gains of power, the protagonist is always somehow good. "Chronicle" plays rather well with this notion, which is a new spin to the story it's the Magneto of regular superhero films. Otherwise, the biggest setback of the film is it's rather poor character development. While we are made to feel sorry for the main protagonist, Andrew, the ways that we are made to feel that way are rather clichéd: no friends, bullied at school, abusive father, etc. His rage and his inner turmoil somehow is multiplied to the verge of bursting, without it quite making a lot of sense. The three main actors were pretty decent, especially Alex Russell who was the most engaging and believable of characters. The hand-held camera, and the very choice to do a camera perspective for the entire film, is a rather divisive choice as I have come to see in reviews, but I did not mind it all that much. The escalation of the story by the end somehow happened out of nowhere and escalated quite dramatically. A bit too much for my taste, with a rather anticlimactic ending. It was a nicely conceived idea and some great visuals can be seen in the film, but this falls into the mediocre bracket easily. 5/10 Expand
  14. Jun 27, 2013
    So... This movie was one of the worst movies I have ever seen. Might I add that I am around their age group and can definitely tell you that nobody my age acts remotely like the way they acted in the movie. The dialogue and acting was SOOOO terrible, and the whole carrying the camera around added nothing to the movie. His friends wouldn't just go back to being friends with the main character after he NEARLY KILLS SOMEONE.

This is honestly the dumbest movie I have seen. It's not original (telepathic powers and then someone goes rogue? not original at all) and everything about it except for the special effects was terrible.
  15. Jun 21, 2013
    I liked the originality of a film and the story was great. It is not a must-watch but the film in overall is a nice thing to do if you want to spend time with friends. The ending was bad and that is one thing i didn't like from Chronicle
  16. Jun 9, 2013
    Shot using ‘Blair Witch’ style found footage Chronicle documents what happens when three friends find themselves endowed with telekinetic abilities. Being teenagers however they don’t all handle their new power so well and cracks soon began to appear in their friendship.

Aside from the problem that all found footage movies have, namely the question of why someone would still be filming
    at certain points, Chronicle makes for a very good watch from start to finish. In fact, thanks to its largely believable cast and script as well as some very good visual effects, it is arguably better than any of the movies that inspired it. Expand
  17. Jun 7, 2013
    this is by far the worst movie of 2012, oh wait i apologize, i wouldn't actually call it a movie,
    it's look like something you see on YouTube nowadays NOT on the big screen,
    because there is nothing about this that actually make it a movie, no story at all,
    a sudden changes of events and terrible ending,everything about this movie is awful,
    even the visuals are horrific which is what
    the movie all about, the last scene on the Mountains that it's covered with ice was obviously a green screen effect which i can do with a video camera and an editing software, this "movie" was done so IMMATURELY that it pissed me off. Expand
  18. Jun 2, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Chronicle always was the closest to a live action Akira, but I won't compare this to that movie because this more like a superhero movie than it is that other film. Anyways this is a pretty entertaining movie with some level of depth to it than most other ones have. Of course like most action sci-fi movies there're some; if not many, problems. The positives include the story. The idea is pretty creative, and is done well. This idea is not that popular in cinema, but more in main steam media and anime of course. The characters are pretty hit and miss, the main one with the camera is the most interesting. Showing the effects of great powers have on such introverted person. His cousin however is really not that interesting, he's mainly just there to be the good side and be there to fight the camera guy in the end. The black; sorry I can't remember any of there names, is okay. He's just sort of there for comedy relief, and it's kind of shocking to see him die. Everyone else is really unimportant, the abusive father is done poorly and is not well developed. I can't even think of the other characters, that's not god sign. The idea of a camera being the point of view isn't all that new, but it's done okay here. The effects are neat or just interesting, from practical jokes to destroying the streets. Finally the reason how they got their powers makes no sense at all, it has that:" we'll tell you next time"; which I don't actually know if they're going make another one. The ending is somewhat weak, the part that the cousin had to kill the camera man is pretty good, but anything after that is not really impressive. He brings a camera to the place the always wanted to go; Himalayas, and leaves the camera there. I thought it was going to move or something. Well whatever, this was a fun movie. Expand
  19. May 28, 2013
    Chronicle, the newest addition to the found footage genre. I did like the movie, it had an interesting premise and believable characters. Not only was it enjoyable but it had somwhat heart I did feel for every character on screen, and thats a hard thing to do in found footage movies. I did have some problems with the movies, such as the special effects, it was legit but at points it looked fake. But I still like the movie. Agian, if you dont like found footage films, dont watch this film. Expand
  20. Apr 29, 2013
    A great little superhero inspired film, one of the strengths of the film is how it surprisingly manages to do something interesting with the found footage motif. The film does a great job at making a complex, sympathetic villain, a sort of modern re-imagining of the Lex Luthor story.
  21. Apr 22, 2013
    It's very innovative in scope, and the shaky camera deal works in its favor. An interesting look into social issues for the high-school aged. Worth a watch, and could use a sequel.
  22. Apr 8, 2013
    A great movie considering the budget must have been low. After the three main characters discover a tomb underground with a strange light, they awake with what seem supernatural powers. This movie is filmed from the perspective of a video camera, much like Cloverfield and the like. This movie was a great watch, has great action, OK dialogue and believable characters. A must for all comic book hero/supernatural lovers. Expand
  23. Mar 30, 2013
    This movie was very unpredictable and even creepy at moments. The thing that I liked the most about it is that it's not formulaic or unoriginal like many modern horror/drama/thrillers these days. The story went so well with character development and how it built up and got more and more intense as it progressed. The ending makes you wonder............................. Sequel?
  24. Mar 26, 2013
    My viewing experience of Chronicle was incredibly mixed. In equal measures I enjoyed some parts and got bored of others. I loved the boys will be boys element of the groups discovery, using the powers for fun and stupidly testing the limits of their growing abilities. It seems exactly the sort of behaviour you would expect from teenage boys. As you would also expect, it isn't too long before someone goes too far when showing off and that person is Andrew (Dane DeHaan).

Bullied at school and with an abusive father and dying mother at home, you can certainly sympathise with Andrew's outlook on life and understand his temptation to allow his anger to exploit his powers. That said, his character (and partially that of his cousin Matt too) was the main reason for my annoyance with the film. I didn't like them, simple as. The pair were incredibly whiny, and their arguing and screaming at each other dragged the script down into soap opera territory.

Considering the budget, the special effects are pretty respectable and the story itself is an interesting journey, dealing with the loss of self-control and responsibility past the point of no return, culminating in the film's frantic finale.
  25. Mar 9, 2013
    The majority of the action is seen from the point of view of the Andrew character and I found this quite limiting. Yes, there are sections where his cousin Matt takes over and Matt’s girlfriend Casey Letter (Ashley Hinshaw) also has some camera time, but I found it all a little one-dimensional. As far as performances go, well everyone did a pretty good job with Alex Russell just about standing out for me. Although I found the contrivances used to get this ‘found footage’ style film up on the screen a big distraction it did have a one good thing in its favour. I did like the special effects when things are kept up close and personal. As soon as it became much bigger as in the big fight scene at the end; I’m afraid it all got a little too ‘Transformers’ for me. Over all, I found little likeable about any of the characters; particularly Andrew (although he does have a fine name); and this was enough to put me off. After all, if you can’t identify with the characters then the filmmakers have lost half the battle. I was hoping for some great redemption towards the end but it never came.

SteelMonster’s verdict: NOT RECOMMENDED

My score: 5.2/10
  26. Mar 3, 2013
    This is just a terrible movie, i was massively disappointed when i went to watch this film at the cinema.
    the acting is bad the plot is just boring as hell do not recommend watching this film
  27. Feb 27, 2013
    Not being a fan of the "found-footage" genre, I was hesitant to see this film. I'm glad I finally decided to watch it, though, because Chronicle, as it turns out, is so much more than just another shaky-cam flick with cheap thrills. At it's core, Chronicle is a look into the isolation and loneliness felt by an awkward social outcast, and what happens when that outcast finally gains the power to turn the tables on his aggressors. That power comes in the form of some very Akira-esque telekinetic abilities, which makes for some extremely kick-ass action later in the movie; action which looks even more impressive given the film's found-footage nature. So what you end up with is something along the lines of Carrie meets Akira meets Cloverfield... a combination which may not sound very original, but, I promise, you've never seen it done this well. Expand
  28. Feb 22, 2013
    Using just a video camera, High School outcast, Andrew, documents the events surrounding a recent discovery. In the woods, he and his friends discovered something unexplainable, something that gives them supernatural powers. What I loved about this film, is unlike, many many others, these kids didn't take these powers and become superheroes, instead they did what any real life teenager would do and use them for pranks, popularity, and various other things. Also unlike similar "camcorder" films, it wasn't jumpy or choppy and it was quite easy to follow. The first hour of this film was amazing, unfortunately it did go downhill at the end. The whole film was done in a realistic fashion, making science fiction seem possible, until the end, when all hell breaks loose and it honestly just destroyed the whole thing for me. It was such a strong start, but such an awful ending. Most of the cast were newcomers and were very good, the story was also very solid, but this film needs a much better ending if it wants to be considered a classic. Expand
  29. Feb 17, 2013
    Josh Trank wins his debut direction, this film is intriguing and innovative. One of the best films of 2012 so far and a new great style of superhero movie.
  30. Feb 16, 2013
    This was pretty good. I loved how they made it feel real. It`s like your really watching a documentary, about some kids who got powers. It gets pretty crazy once they get the powers but slowly. This movie has moments that will make you laugh, and moments that will have you in awe.
  31. Feb 14, 2013
    Really cool film! The handheld shaky tone of the film worried me when watching it, it is usually annoying the have to deal with a whole film's worth of dodgy angles and motion sickness but this film does it so cleverly that makes it so enjoyable, overalls a really cool concept and well produced film!
  32. Jan 31, 2013
    *SIGH* Another 'found footage' film.
    Not even close.
    Chronicle tells a very different story to all its other counterparts, much like Troll Hunter, it creates a very extraordinary but very realistic experience that could not only blow your mind, but have you appreciate how simple an idea can be, with no need for big-budget special effects, but in its place a very grounded story with an
    excellent cast and wonderfully budgeted set-pieces.
    It also isn't told entirely from that 'one' viewpoint, a mixture of techniques have been used to capitalise on the realism and flow of the film and begs the simple question of what would happen if we had superpowers?
  33. Jan 28, 2013
    Wow.... just wow. I had no idea what this movie was about going in. I thought it would be really cheesy but good worth at least a 4. Definitely a solid 9 and will leave you thinking about it way after the credits roll. Great and worth a watch!
  34. Jan 28, 2013
    A decent enough movie that plays with a really good idea. The"self-filming" concept was rather a brilliant one considering the subject that perhaps was a bit too ambitious. Even with powers and the best equipment available, the camerawork is just to good to be believable. But this is really a minor point. The narrative is just first class and the character utterly believable. This is precisely how teenagers would react when getting super powers. Overall: An absolutely brilliant film that suffers from being too good for itself (too many convenient camera shots, that are just to convenient to be believable.) Expand
  35. Jan 3, 2013
    A few issues with the special effects (it was painfully obvious that the whole "flying" attempt was done on wires) and the acting isn't that good but it was still a very enjoyable movie that is definently worth watching.
  36. Jan 2, 2013
    While initially the combination of a whining lead character and the shaky cam was a massive turn off, as the film got into full swing I started to really appreciate it, to the point where I didn't even notice it anymore. The film has a superb use of effects, from the subtle to the downright ridiculous, everything has a hyper-realistic shine to it that really adds to the effect and overall feel of the movie. Very well paced and I really loved how the movie took a proper (though admittedly predictable) dark turn. Beautifully subtle while at the same time tastefully in your face, one of the best action movies of 2012 without a doubt and one to watch again. Expand
  37. Dec 23, 2012
    A realistic, powerful and well-acted film that captures the quintessence of ordinary people becoming extraordinary, whilst exposing the journey of sacrifice, loss and the descent to evil.
  38. Dec 18, 2012
    This film makes you wish you had the superpowers. Much appreciation for the found-footage format, visual effects and in addition the lessons you get to learn about self-control and the desire to be superior.
  39. Dec 5, 2012
    My first film of 2012 and I absolutely loved it! My only complaint is that I wish it could have been longer, but it certainly packs a powerful for a film that runs just short of 90 minutes.
  40. Dec 1, 2012
    "Chronicle" is a genuine surprise - a film with a truly believable story that is 'chronicled' through the most convincing and least distracting hand-held camera style I've yet seen. The strength of the movie comes from the characters - these aren't the teens you see in many other movies. These kids act the way real kids do, and play with their powers the way real kids would. You don't question what they do, because it works completely with their characters, and through both the light and dark turns of the film, they consistently remain realistic teenagers. The story of how they acquire their powers is ingeniously left an open question, and how the final character's life will play out is also left open. You wonder how things go from here, and if indeed he'll ever find out what it was that gave them their telekinetic abilities. What sets this style of camera work above its peers is how it doesn't limit itself to one camera - it moves between all sorts of cameras, capturing the action from many angles, and especially in the last act this lends the film a unique and exciting pace and adrenaline. As far as what I call the "underground superhero" movies (films about superpowered people other than Marvel or DC characters), this is the best I've seen, and certainly worth checking out. Expand
  41. Nov 28, 2012
    Inarguably one of the finest "found footage" movies in cinematic history, "Chronicle" solidly impresses without deadening brain activity.
  42. Nov 28, 2012
    Overall, this movie was original (although definitely very inspired by any number of different comic books), very creatively done, well-acted all around, and just plain fun.
    _____
    I'm a picky movie-watcher. In fact, I rarely watch movies at all, because of the simple fact that it's so hard to find the really good ones mixed in with all the multi-million dollar garbage-worthy flicks, but
    Chronicle was definitely one of those rare gems. I had no particular expectations going into this movie, hadn't even ever heard of it, I was just doing a random search for a sci-fi movie and Chronicle seemed like it could be decent, but it turned out to be much more than decent. I've never seen a super-power inspired film seem so realistic. The emergence of the "super-villians" teenager-angst dark-side was done at just the right pace, starting off showing subtle tidbits here and there of his darker psyche and gradually leading up to the point where his psychological issues just explode out from him. I also really appreciated the use of the hand-held camera style in this film, usually I'm not a fan of that, but I think it just add to the realistic feel in this film, which is exactly what the director was going for. Expand
  43. Oct 6, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Chronicle is a pretty good film that is quite different from other found footage films, I didn't actually have much problems with it, though I had a certain problem(s) in particular. I disliked a certain character quite a bit, Alex Russell's character in particular. His character was annoying as hell and I hate that he ended being the big hero in the end because he was not likeable at all, I really wanted his character to be offed, but that didn't happen. So overall Chronicle was a good film ruined by an annoying main character. Expand
  44. Oct 3, 2012
    Thought this was really good..obv, I gave it an 8. What I loved was that despite it being quite a mainstream movie, they were not afraid to make it a tragedy, which it is, in the true sense of the Ancient Greeks. From innocence to experience, was beautiful.
  45. Sep 17, 2012
    Chronicle has what many lesser found footage films lack. The genre has a history of sacrificing character for style, of using hand-held filming to hide a lack of budget. This film has very strong performances from the three leads Dane DeHaan, Alex Russell and Michael B. Jordan (especially DeHaan) who all play interesting, well-developed characters that you enjoy spending time with, and the film's entertaining premise of the three highschool friends gaining superpowers after the discovery of a mysterious object provides some good laughs and fun spectacle, particularly in the scenes where the boys are learning to control their new gifts. The film also creatively gets round the chief weakness of the found footage genre - who's holding the camera? (the way they do this is a highlight which I won't spoil here). Like Cloverfield, Chronicle doesn't try to provide a concrete explanation for the odd goings on that we witness, but this mostly works for the film, and you should be able to fill in the gaps yourself (at least until an inevitable sequel surfaces which will doubtless expand on the film's universe). Disappointingly, the final act of Chronicle is pretty poor. The action becomes all-consuming and repetitive, the characters are reduced to conduits for the filmmakers to spend their remaining budget rather than anyone you can care about anymore, and the presence of one of the secondary characters is seemingly only to have someone else holding a camcorder. In other words, the film becomes just like all the films it has, up to the final act, been surpassing. Though the finale is an overblown, flaccid bore, the rest of Chronicle is a riot, and feels pleasingly original for a film that is part of a filmmaking craze that has long outstayed its welcome. Here's hoping the sequel builds on the considerable successes we find here, though without Josh Trank's sturdy direction (he's reportedly been headhunted to helm bigger superhero fare), it remains to be seen whether a second instalment will become too big and dumb. Expand
  46. Sep 9, 2012
    Wow.Wow.Wow.Wow.Wow.Wow. What a piece of...I don't even know what to say, it's simply incredible. I expected it to be a PA-styled superhero movie, but no! It is even way more and even way better than what I expected it to be. Extraordinary!
  47. Aug 13, 2012
    Chronicle has to be, by far, the best found footage film I have ever seen. What is most amazing about it is how thoroughly Josh Trank is able to envelop us into this world even though it is his first feature. To mention another successful debut, Dane DeHaan delivers the best performance of the three young leads, who all do stellar work regardless, as the troubled Andrew. The actors all bring out their characters, each resembling the man we would like to be (Steve), the man we don't want to become (Andrew), and who we actually more closely resemble (Matt), a motif that plays out well in other films such as No Country For Old Men and Mystic River for example. And on the technical side, Chronicle also succeeds, with good visuals and very smart use of the found-footage style on a reported budget of only about $15 million. A sleeper hit well worth checking out. Expand
  48. Aug 10, 2012
    Dark, disturbing, taut, and more emotional than you would expect, "Chronicle" is an intense, well-written film that features non-stop action and leaves you thinking well after the credits have rolled.
  49. Aug 1, 2012
    A funny, and enjoyable movie. I like the creativity that has gone into this film.
  50. Jul 31, 2012
    Some poor CGI and acting but a great story and awesome found footage techniques. A group of young teens that face personal problems getting dumped with superpowers is never a good combination. Who will appreciate the power and who will turn?
  51. Jul 23, 2012
    Normal I hate the found footage camera angle but Chronicle uses it very well. The 3 guys touch an alien thing in the ground and get telekinesis which they later figure out how to use to fly, and they go round doing all they awesome stuff everyone has fantasized about doing if they had powers. Its good how the powers affect the characters in different ways but saying any more would spoil the story. Some of the effects are really bad but this movie is not meant to be taken seriously enough for it to matter, its just fun. Expand
  52. Jul 18, 2012
    The movies uses the found footage aspect to its advantage, doing things that cant be done in a regular movie. Putting you in the first person point of view.
  53. Jul 15, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Chronicle is an amazing, well-acted, emotionally affecting experience. Andrew is a great villain, mostly because you never really hate him; he's a scared kid who has to deal with an abusive father, deathly ill mother, and the unfeeling bullies of his school and neighborhood. When he uses his newfound powers to win the talent show, everyone loves him. The silent dork is now the most popular guy in town, everyone throws him a big celebration, and then it is all yanked away from him. That is like winning 500 grand in a lottery, only to have the money stolen before you can spend a cent. He starts to snap, dismembering an insect, ripping a bully's teeth out, crushing a car, and electrocuting his friend to death in a fit of rage. When he robs the gas station, it is a very conflicting scene, because he needs the money to save his mother, but there is a feeling of "this is wrong, this is so wrong" throughout the scene. The epic fight between Matt and Andrew is very well done, delivering cinematic shots via news feeds, security cameras, and cell phones as they are forced to pummel each other. The death at the end is a genuine tear-jerker, mostly because it looks so real. If this had been a "normal" movie, the death would have been in slow-motion and sweeping camera angles, but all of that is absent as Matt is forced to throw a statue's spear through Andrew's body, which hangs limp as the viewer sits stunned. It is truly an amazing film, and I hope to see a possible sequel. Expand
  54. Jul 13, 2012
    A really unique and compelling superhero flick. Really adds a lot to the found footage genre. Also one of the most realistic superhero movies ever made, as it feels like this would be what would happen if teenagers got super powers. My only problem with the film is that it seems like director Josh Trank has trouble maintaining the found footage filming through some scenes, but ultimately I think that he pulls it off. Expand
  55. Jul 10, 2012
    Really bad movie!!!! And the fact that they were recording each other all the time was both boring and exasperating!!! great trailer but a terrible movie!!!!!
  56. Jun 28, 2012
    Chronicle is a great movie showcased in 85 minutes, It may not have the best effects and a lot of people will find similarites to the anime film akira but chronicle is still one of the best movies of 2012 and hope to see more out of this director.
  57. Jun 22, 2012
    Chronicle is a much better movie than I was expecting. Hollywood has been coming with a ton of low budget "found footage" movies lately and, to be honest, most of them have been truly awful. This film is different though. It benefits from a steady hand from talented director Josh Trank and boasts a strong story with a surprising amount of depth from it's young writer Max Landis. This is definitely a small film that has it's budget constraints. It's a large scale concept that is occasionally held back by suspect special effects but for the most part they will definitely suitable. I thought this was a terrific, low budget sci-fi film that uses it's "found footage" style to it's advantage unlike most "found footage" films of recent. Expand
  58. Jun 20, 2012
    An entertaining film with good action and a bit of drama. Chronicle provides a twist on typical superpower films, where the powers are used to stop a villain. The cast and their performances are the icing on the cake to an original plot.
  59. Jun 13, 2012
    Chronicle is quite an interesting movie to say the least. Sure there a lots of movies out there where people obtain superhero powers but the one thing Chronicle has going for it (apart from a well written script) is the use of the found footage style of filming. The movie is show through the camera lens of a Matt. When he's invited by his cousin Andrew to a party to help him meet people, Matt along with Andrew and friend Steve discover a cave where they find a large, glowing object. Perhaps due to the over exposition of radiation they begin to experience pain and nosebleeds, eventually collapsing on the floor. The next day they discover that they have telekinetic powers.

What I like about the movie is through the found footage we get to witness a more personal development of the teenagers' characters. It feels as if we are actually witnessing them learning to use, develop and control their powers first hand. It doesn't feel like a movie, it feels like an experience that we are all a part of. It is made clear from the beginning that they experience nosebleeds when ever they put too many stress on themselves. Thus when we see them performing remarkable feats such as moving a car from one parking spot to another without getting nosebleed, we know they're getting stronger. We even get to witness them fly. What's also made clear is that Andrew is he weakest of he group in terms of controlling his powers as he constantly gets nosebleeds and took a while to learn to fly.

Why is that important? Without trying to give away too much, this is a superhero movie right? It's about Good vs Evil. Matt doesn't seem to comprehend the message that with great power comes great responsibility and he becomes, for lack of a better word, a complete douchebag. It's up to Andrew to stop him but by this time we begin to wonder , can Andrew even stop him? Matt was the fastest learner. He was the first to fully develop his powers. He was the strongest, he was the first to fly. Andrew was the slow learner. It's that early character development and development of powers through the lens of the found footage that make the movie that much more thrilling by the time it comes down to the end. One thing I praise this movie for is that it focused more on the villain than the hero, which is something so rare. Usually we see the hero just getting stronger and stronger but how often have we seen the villain? How often have we seen a movie where from the get go you know that the protagonist is nowhere near capable of defeating the antagonist?

While I do make out the use of found footage in this film as the best thing since sliced bread it has its faults. In order to capture Andrew's side of the story, a minor character had to be introduced as she, like Matt, for some odd reason wants to video tape every and every thing. Nonetheless, Chronicle is a gem of a film. It's a unique blend. The found footage really brings this movie to life as you get to witness first hand the development of the groups powers and Matt into the villain as well as Andrew into the hero that is just no match for the villain. This is by far my movie of the year.
  60. Jun 11, 2012
    The first 45 minutes of the movie is about these three dorks learning their new powers, the first 45 minutes is boring and slow. The rest of the movie is a little bit better
  61. Jun 9, 2012
    There's some interesting things going on in this movie - ----SPOILERS AHEAD----

There is an apex predator in the movie, but it's not Andrew. It's Matt. He pretends to be Andrew's friend but doesn't help him with any of his family problems. He uses Andrew's concern for justice and fairness and various problems to act as the noble guide. He loves another sham (the would-be helpful Casey)
    and at the end of the movie celebrates his conquest by eternally fixing the camera at a dead place while his two dead "friends" are buried in the ground.

Andrew's view of himself as the apex predator protects both him and Matt from the truth - the movie is about the lengths Andrew goes to to express his love for others as well as Matt - a sociopath without the capacity to receive love.
  62. Jun 6, 2012
    Although the film style seems unnecessary, Chronicle's plot unravels quite well, giving its audience a perspective that normal people can relate to, as well as developing its protagonists and antagonists without coming off as predictable.
  63. Jun 5, 2012
    This movie was awesome. The concept, at face value, might seem corny, or cliche. But this movie pulls it all off. It's spectacular, magical, and the characters make it so easy to suspend your beliefs and enthrall you in an exciting, scary, and deep world.
  64. Jun 3, 2012
    Another one of those documentary style films where the filmed is a labor to watch. The film had so much potential and we were restricted to dull and constrained angles.
    Oh and it's boring as hell.
  65. Jun 2, 2012
    The movie is really limited by its use of "found footage," which I hate as a genre. It could have been much better if it had just been filmed like a normal movie. That being said, this was a very well characterized film, especially the main character, Andrew. I thought Dane DeHaan did a really good job of capturing the anger and depression of Andrew and making it feel very real. The rest of the cast wasn't as good, and were often pretty stereotypical of high school kids. My other complaint is that the flying looked really fake and could have been done better. Overall though, DeHaan's performance makes this movie worth watching. Expand
  66. Jun 1, 2012
    This movie for once actually had an interesting story, easily followed up by a sequel, really interesting how they did the camera work, how it was done in the story as well as the technical aspect, and when the water moved away from his feet, WHOA that took some serious work to pull off.
  67. May 29, 2012
    "From movies like Jumper, Push, Next, Clockstoppers, and some other movies about people getting superpowers and using it for their own good, Josh Trank and Max Landis have pulled of the impossible. So what is it about this movie that i liked so damn much, well for one thing i loved the pacing and the timing in this movie, for a running time of 83 minutes, the movie doesn't waste your time and gets to the point very quickly and perfectly. Another thing is how realistic this movie is, with the camera work, it definitely worked out for this movie, and the characters were aware of it, which was a major plus in my book. I could say so much more, but what i will say is my regards to the director and writer for delivering one of the best movies of the year, and were only getting started"

/agree. This movie is better than Jump, it has subtleties to, and it's honestly very underrated. It reminds me of greek stories and their demigods. It's obvious they were influential. I found the characters convincing, especially Michael Jordan.
  68. May 26, 2012
    Chronicle was an intense movie that you will never forget. The movie had a sore line with twists and turns around every corner, awesome scenes of action, and heroes of an unusual sort. Chronicle was also very thought provoking. From the moment you start watching, you will never want to stop watching until the credits. Can't wait for the sequel.
  69. May 24, 2012
    Found footage style has been upgraded in to the a new level. Combined with antihero story, it fills 83 minute span with a fast pace and thrilling story.
  70. May 22, 2012
    As boys grow, they dream of having superpowers. And during the first part of the film you are taken on a ride on what it feels like to gain such powers and the possibilities it brings. However, the second part is also a reminder that with great power comes great responsibility and even though the build up is great, the ending felt a bit short. Regardless, this is the stuff great entertainment is made of. Expand
  71. May 21, 2012
    Its brilliant , its different , it no one ever thought before . Chronicle gives its viewers something totally different . the way they put together the idea of making Superpowers look bad was super . I always wanted to see a movie with superpowers gone bad and Chronicle did it and they did amazing . Josh Trank's direction was super . He is a fine young director and I wish him luck . of the three players I like Alex Russell's character and him acting the best . the effects of the film was amazing . How the hell they did all those with so little budget ! Overall an awesome si-fi thriller movie Chronicle is . Waiting for the sequel ..... Expand
  72. May 21, 2012
    This is the score I wanted to give it.. I don't know why it didn't come up when I first wrote my review! And to show how good this movie is.. I bought it 2 days after watching it.
  73. May 18, 2012
    I had high hopes for this movie, I avoided trailers and reviews on purpose to avoid finding out about any details. I was somewhat disappointed, it drags for most of it and when the details are necessary it speeds through with silliness. I guess there aren't many options for sci-fi being released these days so whatever, watch it if you have nothing better to do...
  74. May 16, 2012
    Let me just start off by saying 'Chronicle' was unexpectedly better than I had thought. The trailer was compelling enough to make me see it in theaters (twice). But what I had mapped out in my head wasn't all that close to what unfolded. The smart and relatively fast directing from Josh Trank also keeps the audience's attention from start to finish. The 3 main characters were also very likeable, and played their parts very convincingly. Chronicle also found very smooth ways to make this movie different from the several other found footage movies. The many different cameras were supposed to be controlled by amatuers, so of course the footage has to be shaky right? Not at all says writer Max Landis, I'll show you how it's done. Bottom line, Chronicle was smart and very entertaining. Expand
  75. May 16, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. definitively a guy movie. I enjoyed this thoroughly while my girlfriend gave it a "meh" at best. Starts out all fun and games but gets intense fast as one of the character's home life issues destabilizes him. its sad that we never find out what the thing was that gave them their powers but definitively leaves room for a sequel. Expand
  76. May 16, 2012
    For his first feature, film Josh Trank impressed the hell out of me. The storyline from this site adequately covers the plot without spoiling too much and if you watch the trailer/preview, you will want to see; I can tell you now that trailer is not misleading. The fact that the cast does not include well known names did not stop the movie from making a mark, and the numbers back that up. If you can get passed the hand held camera work that was compulsory but thankfully not throughout, given one main character is chronicling, video journal style, a period in his life, you will discover a good movie. It has a take on characters with super powers that youâ Expand
  77. May 13, 2012
    Chronicle: The best movie I've seen so far this year. Well directed, well cast, with a great plot and extremely entertaining.

While not a masterpiece, it's leagues above similar films.
  78. May 12, 2012
    Entertaining,Impressive and Engaging.It's better than what i expected.Very good use of camera and C.G.I effects Action-Fantasy and drama about a Teenager. This is one the best found footage movies ever. You can easily connect to the characters from the beginning because there are normal teenagers,it worked for me cuz i'm a teenager too.Performances from the younger cast and fast pacing direction overshadow many flaws. It's a new achievement in the piece of art and handheld cinema.I liked this movie so much. I hope,they'd make a sequel :) Expand
  79. May 10, 2012
    A fantastic film that starts with a fun and overall teenage theme before developing bit by bit into a suspenseful superhero epic that lasts in your memory. The combination of normal life with superhuman abilities was excellently pulled off, and the cast of young and mostly unheard of actors showcased their talents extremely well.
  80. May 8, 2012
    A decent movie with good pacing and character development (despite what other critics say), the only real issue is the unnatural use of camera footage. It's unlikely that a woman free falling in mid-air is going to hold a camera at the same time to record all of the action. It's also unlikely that this same woman is going to answer her door with a camera in hand, or use it at every given opportunity. I feel that it could have worked even without the Cloverfield-style camera. With that being said, the acting, story and build up was all perfect. Expand
  81. May 6, 2012
    Chronicle is a good movie but not quite a great one. The handheld 'Cloverfield' style camera style works well for the most part, but it's sometimes replaced by standard camera shots... Which is confusing and doesn't make sense. The acting is solid and the effects are surprisingly well done. The climax is bound to impress. My one great complaint is that the hero of the movie has too little screen-time and seems like a one dimensional wooden plank, especially when compared to the villain. When all is said and done, Chronicle is definitely worth seeing if you're a superhero fan. Expand
  82. May 5, 2012
    Chronicle is straight and fast forward, kind a found footage scenario, but there is no dull moment in the whole process, everything is sharp , crisp and to the point. Acting is believable, looks strong, smartly directed.One scene, actually tow scenes took my breathe away 1. The whole Ariel ( three boys flying in the clouds)
    2. The penultimate climax.

The whole, a entertaining
    experience.. A must watch. Expand
  83. May 2, 2012
    Super hero genre mixed with found footage? After almost a decade topping the box office, the super hero genre was in danger of being stale. While this year we have two huge movies of the genre, Chronicle came from out of nowhere, receiving a lot of critical acclaim. While it is 'fresh' in its approach, it is far from 'original' as Critics would like you to believe. It follows the typical 'origin' story, how superheroes were made and how they are usually 'best friends' with the super villains, etc. So watch this with lower expectations and you'll enjoy this more. Expand
  84. May 2, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. "Chronicle" (2012) tells the story of a adolescent, Andrew, who is
    socially excluded at school, besides being an introvert personalty, and
    serious problems at home with the aggressive alcoholic father and his
    mother, who is dying of terminal cancer.

He still enjoys the company of his cousin, Alex, and at a party, he and
    another friend, Michell, find in a nearby cave a meteorite that give
    them powers of telekinesis, which are discovered little by little ...

Initially the jokes with the use of these powers were funny, but they
    begin to take another course, and the situations of Andrew's life
    ultimately influence his control (and uses) over these powers.

The film has a very good visual, with convincing effects, extremely
    well made that does not transpire much use of CG. Also just taking a
    different approach, because Andrew, early in the film uses a hand-held
    camera to film the assaults of his father, and the camera ends up being
    the main perspective by which the film is shown, until the final half
    hour.

The performances are very good, particularly Dane DeHaan (Andrew) that
    clearly shows the psychological chaos in his life and that culminates
    with the final events shown in the end.

The audio of the movie is nice, with effects and music very good and
    appropriate to the film.

There are some comparisons to Akira, and yes, it resembles it - but
    what that involves psychic powers that does not refer to the Manga or
    Carrie's, somehow?

Anyway, the movie ends up having a very good approach to what the
    conditions of life a person could do with their mind, and what would
    happen if by chance, this person had powers - of course, in a common
    sense much in the film ends up being driven to a adolescent target
    public, but even so, the focus is very good, and it is enjoyable for
    older people.

A great choice for a science fiction - drama movie, with a different
    theme to what we are accustomed.
  85. Apr 29, 2012
    I usually don't like shaky cam movies and when I first saw the trailers for Chronicle, I wasn't exactly too keen on watching it. I finally sat down to watch it the other day and was amazed that I almost missed one of the greatest superhero movies ever made. All I can say is that if you're a comic book fan, go and watch this movie. Max Landis and Josh Trank really know their comics.
  86. Apr 29, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I liked this movie, because it is about superheroes and it doesn't include any capes or tight latex pants and it also has a darker side than your average/normal "super" film. Add to these, a pretty authentic scenario and nice story-telling, and you've got a decent and enjoyable film. Expand
  87. Apr 28, 2012
    I can understand the "found footage" idea, but even though there's seemingly a camera recording every second of modern life, why the film felt like it needed to have the contrived character of the intellectual, video blog-poster in the story doesn't cut it. Yes, you can argue that she helped further develop one of the main characters that represented balance, but doing so while trying to stay within the rules of "found footage" and having her filming every moment including when she's answering the door at home to when she's being lifted in her VW Bug on top of the Space Needle is a terrible choice and appears absolutely forced. Expand
  88. Apr 28, 2012
    If this is the state of high rated movies today we got a problem. Interesting concept, but so amateurishly handled. The hand held camera concept is getting really boring and so detracts from any tension build up. Characters are a joke. Fake high school kids played by adults - again. So it builds to a mildly thrilling climax, but again diluted by lack of tension. Long boring stretches of who cares. If they had dropped the hand held idea, had better actors, more engaging script, could have been cool. But all in all a waste of money. Expand
  89. Apr 26, 2012
    This movie was incredible! I honestly didn't think I'd like it, but it was completely enthralling and unexpected from beginning to end! I would definitely see it again.
  90. Apr 19, 2012
    Chronicle is a fresh and original movie; in other words, we need more movies like it. Although it isn't too lengthy (around 80 minutes), Chronicle is an enjoyable and unforgettable film.
  91. Apr 16, 2012
    when i think about it, i can't think of a way to make the movie better than it already is. the camera gimmick becomes sort of annoying at the end of the film, but that's that. everything else is at it's best, even though it wasn't the kin of perfection that deserves a 10. the characters are well-rounded, the effects look good and there is a very clear message in the movie: if one were to obtain telekinetic power, his life would spin around. Expand
  92. Apr 1, 2012
    Decent film. New unknown cast which was nice. good story and it was funny and light hearted before becoming serious. A bit too serious. That;s my down mark. it got a bit 'too' intense for me at the end.
  93. Mar 29, 2012
    Es una nueva forma de ver a un superheroe. La pelicula fue bastante buena, a pesar de su bajo presupuesto. Lo mejor que se puede señalar de la pelicula fue la manera como fue explicada la vida del personaje principal y cual fue la causa y motivo de sus acciones y caracter. El director si logro mejorar el escesivo movimiento de la camara y es mucho mas facil de ver que otros filmes de su genero. Expand
  94. Mar 29, 2012
    Not a big fan of the shaky camera like Paranormal Activity. I loved this movie because it has a very good story line, and his keeps you on the edge of your seat.
  95. Mar 27, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. If you know Akira... you have a good idea about the story of the movie. It has a very weak start but it becomes better after about 20 minutes. What would you do if you suddenly had superpowers? this movie shows not what Peter Parker would have done but hat me and you would have done. The good: a compelling story, the actors performances, nice special effects.
    The bad: some plot holes, some bad cinematography due to the home home video archive style of the movie.
  96. Mar 24, 2012
    The filmmakers of Chronicle did an excellent job at simulating the experiences of teenagers learning to use superhuman powers and just as much learning to deal with the consequences. The characters are invitingly friendly which I believe pulls the viewer in. You understand and feel what every character is going through and deeply empathize with them.
  97. Mar 24, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. On the whole I was quite impressed. Usually I find it difficult to tolerate the dark brooding moody teenager archtype, but the development of this particular character was quite well done. The actual pacing of the film was good and kept interest while giving the detail it had to, though perhaps the main characters descent was a bit too quick. The special effects were impressive, though I suspect the style of camera work helps to sidestep most major problems. Overall I felt it was very artistic, the camera work, the type of scenes, the development and demonstration of their powers all meshed together in terms of style and complimented each other very well. Its a very difficult task to make a movie of this genre, with these types of characters and using the camera work they did, and the fact of the matter is that if any of those elements were lacking the entire film would have collapsed. But in Chronicle, it, frankly, all just worked, perhaps a bit heavy handed in the moody teen, but they certainly achieved the look they were going for. Further the final battle was just beautiful, its climax especially was just fantastic. Expand
  98. Mar 23, 2012
    Chronicle to me was a bit confusing, the plot seemed to act like a yo-yo one minute everything is slow and then suddenly everyone is high and the cameraman is having a spazm.
    The effect were well done and the actors were not to bad though the main guy was a little on the crazy side and getting to the point where he didn't seem for real.
    The film is ok and it is not the greatest film of the
    year or the greatest superhero film.
    IMO it was not worth the ticket but could be a good film to rent and watch with friends
  99. Mar 21, 2012
    This is one of the best movies I've seen this year. It is an original and exciting take on what would happen if some kids came across super powers. I hope there is a sequel because I would definitely see it. Check it out.

1. Reviewed by: Peter Debruge
    Feb 10, 2012
    Unlike other mock documentaries, which unconvincingly pass themselves off as real, Chronicle cleverly embraces the format as shorthand for a new kind of naturalism, inviting audiences to suspend disbelief and join in the fantasy of being able to do anything with their minds.
  2. Reviewed by: Aaron Hillis
    Feb 10, 2012
    Chronicle, with its found-footage storytelling and superpowered teens, at least playfully transcends its "Cloverfield meets Heroes" pitch.
  3. Reviewed by: Mark Jenkins
    Feb 10, 2012
    A few more bucks (or a little more thought) for the script would have been a better investment than faking Seattle. The characters are introduced so quickly, and their personalities are so thin, that what happens to them has little weight.