7.4

1. JimM.
    Nov 6, 2005
    Painful to sit through. Some scenes over-theatrical with much scenery chewing. Dialogue a hoot. Plot contrived with stock characters. Faulkner meets Al Capp.
  2. Chrystal
    Jun 13, 2005
    This movie looks great. Plus I have the same name.
  3. SebastianL.
    Sep 12, 2005
    Unfortunately this movie suffers from a schizofrenic story line. The main plot line has enough tragic drama to support the film and if you were to fast-fwd all of the insipid sub-plots you would have a pretty good film. My Question for Ray McKinnon who wrote and directed this movie is this... Will you guys ever stop with the idiotic redneck bad guys named 'Snake?' Thornton and Unfortunately this movie suffers from a schizofrenic story line. The main plot line has enough tragic drama to support the film and if you were to fast-fwd all of the insipid sub-plots you would have a pretty good film. My Question for Ray McKinnon who wrote and directed this movie is this... Will you guys ever stop with the idiotic redneck bad guys named 'Snake?' Thornton and Blount give good performances but it's not enough. Expand
  4. Haden
    Sep 17, 2005
    I thought this movie was great - havent been this pulled into to a story, setting, and culture thing in some time - not perfect but unique and captious and raw.
  5. Kitten
    Oct 17, 2005
    Although beautifully pkotographed, I was very disappointed. The potential to make this a GREAT film was there, but it fell far shot. I would have liked to have seen this movie with a little less implied sex and stereotypical characters, and a lot more time spent giving us a real look into the hearts and minds of the characters. BRAVO to Grace Z...the best actor in the entire piece.
  6. GregT.
    Dec 6, 2005
    Intense but dour. The sets alone could lead you to suicide. Everyone is redeemed but with a load of effort.
  7. AlbertI.
    Sep 21, 2005
    Great acting and beautiful music. A must see.

1. Even at its most contrived, the filmmakers believe in this project so passionately that its atmosphere seems absolutely real.
  2. One of those movies that sticks to your mind like a briar to wool slacks. It has no revelations, no high drama, no heartbreaking tragedy. What it does have is bone-deep honesty, and that's enough for once.
  3. Reviewed by: Brad Slager
    Dark and quiet is the tone from start to finish.