7.5

1. Jan 22, 2013
    This is the type of movie that might not interest a large. It is a movie that shows the perception of a child near puberty during the violent dictatorship in Argentina. It is very likely that the public in South America, who saw and felt the consequences of dictatorship, will relate to it, whereas public from other countries that did not experience the same trauma. Yet, it is a good movie, with great interpretations from the children. What is more, this movie shows how the relation between politics and family relationships, specially when children are involved, can be extremely delicate and dangerous. Collapse
  2. Mar 25, 2014
    This was the Argentina's submission for last year's American Academy Awards and failed to make into the final five. But it was a clean sweep in Argentinian Academy Awards in the same year. Forget that past sad occurrence, I mean the Oscars, this movie was great and I liked it very much. After a very long gap I saw an Argentinian movie reckoning to be a good and it was. I am satisfied and glad I saw it which was loosely based on the director's real life story when he was a child.

This story was told from the perspective of a kid called Juan. His parents are the activists during the Cold War known as the Dirty War. After their return to the home country with different names, Juan joins the school known as Ernesto. He finds hard to understand his parents' behaviour, but comfortably settles with his new fake name with a little help from his uncle. The problem arises when his true identity matters the most. Whether he reveals or not is the crux of the movie's end.

In my recent watch I had seen the people who struggle while protesting in a country's revolution. It might be based on real like 'NO' or fictional like 'Night Train to Lisbon', but majority of them end in heartbreak tragedy. Similarly, this movie opened its account in a simple manner like most of the drama that based on the revolution theme. Yes, of course it confuses at first about what's going on then slowly explain the situation. But all the difference and racy pace emerge suddenly in the last quarter of the movie. Till then I was in the movie trying to concentrate, but then instantly put me on the edge of my seat with cute romance and followed by thriller. That, the end portion of the story of last 10-15 minutes took the movie to the heights.

Yes, like I said the movie kicks off with a slow and boring pace with nothing much to enjoy earlier and ends in a style. Some movies are largely depends on the story's end solution and so this. To me it looked fine movie, different people will have different opinions, so watch it by yourself and express yours.

1. Reviewed by: Marc Olsen
    Feb 7, 2013
    Clandestine Childhood is a sincere effort but also rather sincerely a meager one too.
  2. Reviewed by: V.A. Musetto
    Jan 10, 2013
    Clandestine Childhood is the impressive first feature by Argentine director Benjamín Avila.
  3. Reviewed by: Manohla Dargis
    Jan 10, 2013
    When a filmmaker proves as reluctant as Mr. Ávila to speak up about the past, to engage with its full complexity, it can be hard to hear what he's saying.