MCA/Universal Home Video | Release Date: September 13, 1995
7.3
Generally favorable reviews based on 13 Ratings
Watch Now
talisencrwApr 16, 2016
Spike Lee is an unfortunate instance of a very talented filmmaker who's obvious talent in craftsmanship doesn't come across in contemporary mainstream cinema because of issues having nothing to do with cinema itself. I realize that inSpike Lee is an unfortunate instance of a very talented filmmaker who's obvious talent in craftsmanship doesn't come across in contemporary mainstream cinema because of issues having nothing to do with cinema itself. I realize that in becoming great at anything in one's life, other things have to suffer, and with him it seems, at least to me, that for everything he has undoubtedly accomplished in the filmic realm, it's created a type of 'idiot savant' (it's simply an existing term--I certainly don't mean it pejoratively)--that is, in social skills, at least pertaining to self-marketing, or getting across one's persona in the field, he is lacking--and it negatively impacts his cinema. And that's a dirty rotten shame, because this was a fine film.

He and his excellent approach to cinema remind me of the Heisenberg principle and make me: a) wish Lee could find more happiness in his life, so that he can come across better, and thus have his personality not negatively influence cinephiles like me; and b) wonder, like in 'A Beautiful Mind', if he was happier and more pleasant, if it would negatively impact his filmmaking?

'Clockers' worked for me. Keitel was really on a roll when he worked in this, with 'Bad Lieutenant', 'Reservoir Dogs', 'Pulp Fiction' and 'Smoke' all around this time. It was certainly a great vintage for him, and a fine time to sample his acting.
SpangleJul 31, 2014
Overall, Clockers is quite the disappointing film. The acting from Mekhi Phifer, John Turturro, and Harvey Keitel is good, as well as some good supporting players here make this a very good look at life in the projects, murder, and drugs. TheOverall, Clockers is quite the disappointing film. The acting from Mekhi Phifer, John Turturro, and Harvey Keitel is good, as well as some good supporting players here make this a very good look at life in the projects, murder, and drugs. The message about black-on-black violence is also very poignant and hard hitting. However, Spike Lee just cannot help himself and his racism here, as every single non-black character is the most racist pig ever to hit the planet Earth. I get it, cops in the projects are racist, but he hits us over the sledgehammer with it repeatedly as if we are some kind of idiot who does not get it. On top of that, many elements of the plot do not stick together very well and there are some plotholes for sure, as well as some things that are added in for really no reason, and things that are just very much unlikely to ever happen in real life. Minus the forced commentary on racism, some iffy plot elements, and Spike Lee's direction of those elements, Clockers is an interesting drama that could have been so much more with a different director. Expand
lrush31Nov 24, 2012
Clockers is, without a doubt, the most underrated movie of all time. One of the few instances where the movie is just as good as the book, if not better. The movie is as perfect as a movie can be; not a bad line to be found, charactersClockers is, without a doubt, the most underrated movie of all time. One of the few instances where the movie is just as good as the book, if not better. The movie is as perfect as a movie can be; not a bad line to be found, characters perfectly cast and 100% believable (I think I've seen a million kids like Scientific since I became a journalist in Baltimore), and a deep, thought provoking message. It's a movie that should be seen by every aspiring director, every inner city kid of promise, every inner city politician and homicide detective, and every citizen who is unaware of the problems that people like Strike, Tyrone, and Victor face every day. It is a documentary masquerading as a murder mystery, and because of that, I applaud Misters Price and Lee on this masterpiece of cinema and storytelling. Collapse