Closer

8.2

1. JuliaG.
    Jan 31, 2005
    Margaret A.! The title of the mane song is "Come on closer" by Jem. It is realllllly coooool !!!
  2. SaraC.
    Feb 1, 2005
    Wonderful film. Owen and Portman were simply flawless. The scenes between the characters were so brutally honest, you felt pain watching them. I mean a good kind of pain. One that left you awake and at the edge of your seat. It was like a talkie that felt like an action movie.
  3. Ashley
    Feb 19, 2005
    The best movie I have seen in a very long time. Who knew Julia could really act? The direction is impecable and the soundtrack is also poignant. But the writer deserves the most kudos for being unafraid to unleash rhythmatic dialogue that cuts to the truth of the human mind. It is a fearless movie with fearless performances. Those that have failed to see that on this page, I can only The best movie I have seen in a very long time. Who knew Julia could really act? The direction is impecable and the soundtrack is also poignant. But the writer deserves the most kudos for being unafraid to unleash rhythmatic dialogue that cuts to the truth of the human mind. It is a fearless movie with fearless performances. Those that have failed to see that on this page, I can only assume, are afraid of their own love's fate or are completely dry in the creative department....because this is good cinema. Expand
  4. BethanyN
    Apr 2, 2005
    This is easily one of the BEST films I have ever had the privelege to see. The acting was AMAZING. Natalie was the best I've ever seen her and Jude played his part well, too. Even Julia showed that she can do something with depth. I normally get bored when I try to watch movies, but I was completely glued to my TV. Natalie and Jude were REAL in their parts. I've never seen two This is easily one of the BEST films I have ever had the privelege to see. The acting was AMAZING. Natalie was the best I've ever seen her and Jude played his part well, too. Even Julia showed that she can do something with depth. I normally get bored when I try to watch movies, but I was completely glued to my TV. Natalie and Jude were REAL in their parts. I've never seen two actors have that kind of chemistry onscreen (Although-- The actors in 'Unfaithful' do come close) Those of you that said the dialogue and actions of the characters were unrealistic are wrong. Some people are more intense than others. I have been one of those "intense" people. I have witnessed the strange obsessions that some people can get into over eachother and it really isn't so far-fetched at all. People really DO say and do things like that. People that don't see the truth in this movie are clearly the kind of people who are too scared (or just not bright enough) to look inside themselves or to be honest about their motives or the motives of other people -- Anyway, my review is- This movie is fantastic-- If you're given to periods of some intense self-analysis, you will adore this movie... If you sit glued to reality TV and ESPN and rarely pick up a book- Don't bother- it will go straight over your head. Expand
  5. StupidS.
    May 9, 2005
    I love jude law.
  6. mark
    Dec 6, 2004
    Bravo! Funny, sad, raw, edgy, emotionally draining - totally compelling. Messy, life like. The cast is perfection, Julia Roberts and Clive Owen give Oscar worthy performances. Their breakup scene is best acted scene in a movie this year.
  7. ES
    Jan 8, 2005
    One of the best movies of 04. Very real and touching.
  8. RachaelO
    Jan 9, 2005
    One of the most sexually explicit movies ever, and it doesn't even contain any sex scenes. For that alone, it is totally awesome. Not to mention great performances from all the actors, especially Clive Owen. Even though his character is totally despicable, you still end up kind of rooting for him in the end. Awesome.
  9. ClelioT.
    Feb 9, 2005
    The best movie that i saw in many years. Sad and beautiful and Blower's Daughter is the song.
  10. SamG.
    Dec 1, 2004
    One word amazing.
  11. BobB.
    Dec 2, 2004
    Very good!
  12. SarahG.
    Dec 4, 2004
    Intense and upsetting but wonderful, haunting.
  13. MarionG.
    Dec 5, 2004
    Tired of manipulative, cloying Hollywood films with their ever-so-predictable uplifting endings? Here's a nice break from all the cinematic Holiday hooha.
  14. KyleC.
    Dec 6, 2004
    the movie flows in and out of love and sorrow so flawlessly, the performances are riveting, especially a haunting roberts as the sad and solemn, anna. watch this. and be prepared to be shaken into loving it or hating it. depends on your intellect.
  15. EricF.
    Dec 7, 2004
    Welcome to the real life. S..t happens and kudos for the film to show the other side of happiness. excellent film.
  16. MariaJ.
    Jan 24, 2005
    It was the best film i have ever seen. so dramatical and sad but interesting. how people can destroy their lives without knowing what they want.
  17. AnnaB.
    Jan 29, 2005
    This movie is fabulous, a fabulousness no other movie can embody. It is great because shows life how it is ; the way people are too scared to admit.
  18. NAXOS.A.
    Mar 14, 2005
    I love this film! I love Natalie Portman!
  19. jaimei.
    Mar 17, 2005
    Great and honest movie, great prerformance of the actors. A portrait of real life.
  20. TrishB
    Mar 25, 2005
    My favorite film of 2004, brilliantly written, acted and directed.
  21. HioL.
    May 7, 2005
    Perfect. It was so cool. So much fun... enough for the whole family!
  22. WilliamW.
    Aug 17, 2005
    The best movie of the year. I was apprehensive about seeing this movie because I had read that the characters are so "unlikable." I expected some dark, grim exploration of the meaninglessness of human relations. Instead, I saw one of the funniest movies I've ever seen. People who hate this film are simply incapable of admitting that "love" (whatever that means) is just a power The best movie of the year. I was apprehensive about seeing this movie because I had read that the characters are so "unlikable." I expected some dark, grim exploration of the meaninglessness of human relations. Instead, I saw one of the funniest movies I've ever seen. People who hate this film are simply incapable of admitting that "love" (whatever that means) is just a power struggle. Self-awareness, sharing, being in touch with your emotions, therapeutic values: this movie shows that they haven't changed the way people behave--they have only become weapons in the arsenal in the struggle for emotional and sexual dominance. The film is funny because anyone honest enough knows they would do the same things if they were as good-looking and charming as Jude Law or Natalie Portman. People who don't get it are Puritans and should be burned. Expand
  23. LoicS.
    Apr 26, 2006
    I just had to react to some of the coments left here. First time I do, but I think this movie is worth it. Some people here have obviously never seen a bad movie and should go to the cinema more before they drop comments. calling this movie " the worst [they] have ever seen" is either admitting they have very little to compare to or conceiding they were shocked/felt insulted by the movie I just had to react to some of the coments left here. First time I do, but I think this movie is worth it. Some people here have obviously never seen a bad movie and should go to the cinema more before they drop comments. calling this movie " the worst [they] have ever seen" is either admitting they have very little to compare to or conceiding they were shocked/felt insulted by the movie (which in itself doesn't mean the movie is bad). Some may never have lived such situations or felt such feelings, and/or find them to be the expression of a pervers nature. This just isn't a movie on the way human beings sometimes cooperate to make a better world. Deal with it. As for the dialogue's they may not be realistic when removed from the scenes to which they belong, but who cares ? cinema isn't about writing everyday life exactly like it is, it's about giving the illusion of everyday life. If you watch this movie with an open mind, you'll get sucked in. If you're just waiting for an occasion to rate julia roberts acting, or if you came because the big names printed on the big posters reminded you of sweet love stories (be it in a galaxy far far away or in a nearby brothel), go chat on the forums, write to your favourite magazine, yell out your anger, but don't give this film a 0, your deception has nothing to do with its value. Every word, every sentence, especially in the breaking-up/fighting scenes came when and how I wanted them to come. Maybe noone in real life would be so crude (and I honestly don't see why not) but we've all deeply wanted to ! (I actually came to admire Clive Owen's character for his raw honesty) And since when do the characters have to be likeable to make a good film ? You may hate these people after seing the movie... but how is that bad ? you've felt strongly against them : this movie has brought you strong feelings ! Now you know who you definetly are not (although I dare think that whoever says he/she is not even a little bit concerned is either a liar or has lived his/her entire life in a box, alone). Now to the "honest but shallow/hollow exploration of the human nature". I am French and have lived in France many years. I was culturally brought up by french cinema and I therefore know what a hollow movie on human nature is, I have seen many failed attempts, (Just think that only the "good" ones make it abroad, and even they have a hard time), watched everlasting minutes of raw rape scenes, bared crying men on stools in empty rooms for half an hour, and heard endless, pointlessly intellectualized dialogs. This is not one of them, this movie goes to the point and it gets there fast. Sure, it doesn't explore every aspect of the characters' lives but that just makes it more universal. Most people agreed on the fantastic acting (Owen, Law, Portman AND Roberts) and the beautiful score, so I'll just skip that. Actually I'll stop here all together, I'm growing tired of English grammar and I've made my point. Closer is a great movie. Period. Expand
  24. DarrenR
    Mar 1, 2007
    This is a film so complex and clever that it is bound to go over the heads of most of the viewing audience. Every word that is spoken has a double meaning to it, and if viewed with the understanding of this ironic level, the experience is far richer.
  25. YuH.
    Dec 2, 2004
    One of the best movies of the year and in my opinion, the best acted one.
  26. MarlonV.
    Dec 24, 2004
    There's a subtle, darkly urban gothic eroticism that devours the viewer upon seeing the first scene. the sense of doomed romanticism is palpable. stylishly jagged dialogue and riveting performances swell in certain scenes (larry/anna break up, larry/alice lap dance). and one outstanding performance by a certain julia roberts. there's a rousing sadness behind her eyes, and There's a subtle, darkly urban gothic eroticism that devours the viewer upon seeing the first scene. the sense of doomed romanticism is palpable. stylishly jagged dialogue and riveting performances swell in certain scenes (larry/anna break up, larry/alice lap dance). and one outstanding performance by a certain julia roberts. there's a rousing sadness behind her eyes, and it's a shrewdly subdued performance, as if she could fade into her own heartbreak any minute. hers is one of the most under rated performances of the year. one that will not be awarded by an award just for the sheer invisible value in it. Expand
  27. EmmaD.
    Dec 31, 2004
    Julia rules in this movie best acting ever.
  28. Josh
    Dec 6, 2004
    Just because the movie is real doesn't mean its bad. This is possibily the most true to life movie I've ever seen. It seems to only have 0-1 or 8-10, with no ratings in between; that should tell you something.
  29. ChuckS.
    Dec 9, 2004
    Outstanding. Real. Anyone wanting happy endings or 'everything explained' should stick to Disney. This is what real life is like. Deal with it.
  30. ColbyC.
    Jun 29, 2005
    This is proof that a movie doesn't need to make you feel good to be effect. Its purpose is to make you loathe these people, and hope that you don't become like them. It exposes their weaknesses (smoking as a metaphor here). Films this powerful are very rare, and performances like Clive Owen's do not come often, and should be embraced and praised when they do. My favorite This is proof that a movie doesn't need to make you feel good to be effect. Its purpose is to make you loathe these people, and hope that you don't become like them. It exposes their weaknesses (smoking as a metaphor here). Films this powerful are very rare, and performances like Clive Owen's do not come often, and should be embraced and praised when they do. My favorite film of last year. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    The caustic wit and brute force of Patrick Marber's acclaimed play come across with a softened edge in Mike Nichols' bigscreen version of Closer.
  2. Determined to be faithful to the strong, often shocking language and in-your-face drama in Marber's mannered writing, Nichols and his actors find no way to lift Closer into a realm that enlightens.
    Mike Nichols' haunting, hypnotic Closer vibrates with eroticism, bruising laughs and dynamite performances from four attractive actors doing decidedly unattractive things.