Paramount Pictures | Release Date: January 18, 2008
6.3
Generally favorable reviews based on 930 Ratings
WATCH NOW
sjultiDec 7, 2016
This is one of the best found footage films, i love the setting and the actors their great,when this movie came out I loved it and too this day it's still one of my favorite movies of all time.
KillercadenAug 18, 2016
I love this movie because it always haves you on edge the way you cant see that well. And if you cant see that well you dont know whats going on that well until the camera has Focused. But the movie was a fun and exciting action and adventureI love this movie because it always haves you on edge the way you cant see that well. And if you cant see that well you dont know whats going on that well until the camera has Focused. But the movie was a fun and exciting action and adventure movie that I would definitely recommend this movie if you like thrillers! Expand
Muskrat147Jul 30, 2016
Though solidly crafted with tense action and an interesting plot, Cloverfield loses many viewers due to the dizzying cinematography, cliched dialogue, and overstuffed CGI.
DanBurritoJul 19, 2016
Cloverfield is a suspenseful, engaging found-footage monster movie with solid performances and lots of tension. There is plenty of suspense and surprisingly, even emotion in the film, with enough monster action to keep you on the edge of yourCloverfield is a suspenseful, engaging found-footage monster movie with solid performances and lots of tension. There is plenty of suspense and surprisingly, even emotion in the film, with enough monster action to keep you on the edge of your seat. Obviously, if shaky camera work makes you nauseous, you may want to avoid this. But if you're looking for a fresh, entertaining creature feature, I'd reccomend this. Overall, a good movie. Expand
bfoore90Jun 19, 2016
Basically an updated version of "The Blair Witch Project" with a giant monster attacking New York City instead of a mysterious ghost attacking kids in the woods. While it does provide you with some suspense and jumps here and there, itsBasically an updated version of "The Blair Witch Project" with a giant monster attacking New York City instead of a mysterious ghost attacking kids in the woods. While it does provide you with some suspense and jumps here and there, its almost immediately undone by the lack of meaningful plot with so much shaky cam you'll be sick with a headache by the end of the film. The monster was cool, however but like I said theres no backstory on where the monster came from, how it got there why its there and what the monster even is or if it got defeated in the end. The monster is literally just there, like a giant plot device. Expand
SpangleMay 14, 2016
A fantastic found footage science fiction horror film, Cloverfield essentially breathes life into a sub-genre that typically blows. Many call it heavily inspired by Blair Witch Project, but if it was, it would be devoid of scares and theA fantastic found footage science fiction horror film, Cloverfield essentially breathes life into a sub-genre that typically blows. Many call it heavily inspired by Blair Witch Project, but if it was, it would be devoid of scares and the worst experience of my life. Fortunately, it was not and instead of just being tolerable, it was enthralling. The film does a great job setting up the stakes and creating incredibly interesting human beings who feel so real that, ignoring the camera, feel like people you know. The found footage element only adds to this as it really puts you into the scenes and makes you feel as if you are experiencing these events first hand. Found footage can often be gimmicky, but here, it feels entirely fresh in both its usage and with its story. Together, the end result is a truly captivating and exhilarating thrill ride courtesy of director Matt Reeves. Expand
avamiller21May 12, 2016
This can definitely be considered the King of found footage. Actors were convincing. Sense of jeopardy and realism is strongly relayed.

Watch it online for free: http://www.watchfree.to/watch-407-Cloverfield-movie-online-free-putlocker.html
homer4presidentApr 18, 2016
Yes, it's light on story and sneaks in humor at inopportune times, but Cloverfield is meant to put the viewer in the middle of an intense, futile situation - and it does so with style, a nonstop sensory barrage, and smartly-placed handy-camYes, it's light on story and sneaks in humor at inopportune times, but Cloverfield is meant to put the viewer in the middle of an intense, futile situation - and it does so with style, a nonstop sensory barrage, and smartly-placed handy-cam camera angles. It isn't a traditional thriller, but as a cool experiment, its about as good as it could have possibly been. Expand
aadityamudharApr 17, 2016
The movie certainly has a good premise, but unanswered questions in the end and a camera that is way too shaky disrupt the experience. Overall I would give this film a 7/10/
MovieMasterEddyApr 7, 2016
Cloverfield is to the monster movie as The Blair Witch Project was to the ghost story. This movie is going to divide audiences. There are those who will be unable to endure nearly 90 minutes of constantly moving hand-held camerawork. SomeCloverfield is to the monster movie as The Blair Witch Project was to the ghost story. This movie is going to divide audiences. There are those who will be unable to endure nearly 90 minutes of constantly moving hand-held camerawork. Some will experience motion sickness. Others will just be annoyed and disoriented by the experience. These are legitimate reactions, but Cloverfield isn't trying to present another run-of-the-mill rampaging monster movie. You can rent a bunch of those on DVD. Do we really need another one? Instead, producer J.J. Abrams and his creative team want to represent a catastrophic event from ground level. If 9/11 taught us one thing, it's that when disaster strikes, cameras are turned on. Cloverfield's gritty, in-your-face style is uncompromising. If you're looking for a nice, clean movie filmed with a steadycam, you'll have to look elsewhere.

Cloverfield owes a debt to The Blair Witch Project. The most obvious similarity is the decision to show the entire event through the lens of a camera. The structure is similar as well - a slow build-up as we get to know the characters. Here's where one of Blair Witch's flaws creeps into Cloverfield. The opening sequences last too long. They're supposed to be introducing us to the protagonists, but they're dull and a little tedious. We start itching for something to happen. For 20 minutes, experiencing Cloverfield is like watching the home movies of strangers. (But maybe you're into that sort of thing...) As with The Blair Witch Project, however, once things start happening, the intensity explodes off the screen. The inability to see exactly what is happening is part of the film's appeal. Some will find it frustrating. Others will find it exhilarating.

First of all, don't expect linear storytelling with all of the holes plugged. Nothing concrete is revealed about the monster (although there is speculation). Is it from outer space? From deep in the ocean? Why is it in New York? What are its capabilities? What eventually happens to it? By confining the action in the film to what's on the videotape, Cloverfield eliminates the need to talk to these points. In fact, we never get a completely clear shot of the creature (at least not in the sense one would expect from a traditional motion picture), although there is a very nice close-up headshot late in the film. Still, the movie follows the Jaws rule that monsters are usually more intimidating when they are shown infrequently and only in brief glimpses. Even having seen the movie, I would be hard-pressed to give a coherent description of the thing. All I can say is that it's big and it's ugly.

The disaster wrought upon New York raises shadows of 9/11. How could it not? A scene in a street where a skyscraper collapses and the dust cloud rolls toward the characters is a carbon copy of one of the most horrific images from that real-life tragedy. Cloverfield also offers the destruction of icons: a decapitated Statue of Liberty and a devastated Brooklyn Bridge. There are plenty of landmarks to go after in New York without having to touch the Empire State Building. That place has already had enough attention over the years from King Kong. One has to wonder whether the filmmakers went too far in so forcefully evoking 9/11. Then again, to tell this story in this way, was there an alternative?

What does the handheld camera bring to Cloverfield? There's a sense of immediacy that couldn't be obtained in any other way. We're in the trenches with these characters, not looking at them from a safe distance. There's an intensity that couldn't be achieved in any other way. Consider, for example, the scene in the subway when Hud turns on the camera's night vision. No other approach could have yielded that result. In fact, today's viewers might be more willing to accept this perspective than those who booed The Blair Witch Project after it made the leap from art houses to multiplexes. It is, after all, the point-of-view presented by many video games - the so-called "first person shooters." And there's something else to consider: make Cloverfield conventional, and how is it different from the 1998 version of Godzilla?

The movie is interesting because it's so damn different. But try as he might, director Matt Reeves (making his first feature in a dozen years) cannot develop his human cut-outs into three-dimensional people, and that's what keeps Cloverfield from being truly memorable.
TheKavehJApr 4, 2016
Cloverfield has ups, and has downs too. The film has a lot of action involved, and keeps you on the edge of the seat most of the time, but it can be boring, and it can be very long too.
ReelViews94Mar 23, 2016

HazzaGallaMar 6, 2016
There are choices in 'Cloverfield' that work, but there are a lot more which don't. It's disappointing movie from many standpoints, and whilst the thrilling action scenes with the monsters are awesome! They are brief, and instead we areThere are choices in 'Cloverfield' that work, but there are a lot more which don't. It's disappointing movie from many standpoints, and whilst the thrilling action scenes with the monsters are awesome! They are brief, and instead we are caught up in an uninteresting story. However, I'd give this movie the benefit of the doubt because of its replay-ability, for there are definitely elements in this movie that you may have missed. Expand
EpicLadySpongeFeb 19, 2016
Cloverfield does have its moments especially from a J. J. Abrams production. I'm only here because of its sequel.... 10 Cloverfield Lane. That title looks like it's a spiritual sequel but I may be wrong.
choomtabi31Feb 3, 2016
One of the most awesomest footage movies ! I really enjoy these types already but this one is scary and action filled once it gets going.

Watch it online for free: http://www.primewire.ag/watch-1031-Cloverfield-online-free
xenoclastJan 28, 2016
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Eighty-four minutes of time I will never get back. Absolutely detested it. There is no plot, directing nor acting to speak of. The characters are plasticy and generic pretty things that one cares not one bit about. They're mostly capable of such clever lines as 'oh my god, oh my god!' etc. leaving me rooting for the monster. And as if that was not enough, the camera work is supposedly pov-video throughout. It is so shaky that it left me feeling sick, funnily enough not due to motion sickness rather than just plain awfulness and complete lack of aesthetic. We are naturally supposed to believe these dimwits will hang onto a video cam and obsess about filming throughout the whole ordeal, whilst they run fir their lives and people around them get killed in various ways. This flick was criminally bad. And not even in a good, unintentional and camp way. Steer clear of this pile unless you are of the obsessing net footage generation. Yuck! Expand
geo333Jan 18, 2016
Cloverfield is an entertaining found footage film that keeps the viewer interested all the way through. Add to it the mystery of the story that complements the dramatic theme in a perfect manner.
TrilobiteGJan 17, 2016
Found footage horror has had a bad reputation, but Cloverfield certainly does not fit into the same awful quality movie. In fairness, the shaky cam aspect, although impressively realistic, does give off a relatively annoying feel to theFound footage horror has had a bad reputation, but Cloverfield certainly does not fit into the same awful quality movie. In fairness, the shaky cam aspect, although impressively realistic, does give off a relatively annoying feel to the movie. That and the camera holder throughout this movie had no relevant commentary. Those are my only two major gripes with Cloverfield, the rest of this movie is a tragic, saddening thrill ride through the streets of New York whilst a monster tears building's (and people) to absolute shreds. There doesn't need to be any real exposition to this film, because the parallels to 9/11 and other tragic world events are scary. When a piece of violence is executed, you never get a full glimpse of a shower of organs, but just of a blur of blood, sound and consistent screaming. Shook me to my absolute core. Expand
TadeorsrJan 17, 2016
This movie was amazing with a new way to film horror movies previously seen in the bleigh witch project, this movie was funny and terrifying at the same time, I am glad I watched it, it had an amazing storyline and actors, with suspenseThis movie was amazing with a new way to film horror movies previously seen in the bleigh witch project, this movie was funny and terrifying at the same time, I am glad I watched it, it had an amazing storyline and actors, with suspense creeping at every alley, not knowing what would happen next, this is a popcorn eating movie. Expand
ydnar4Aug 29, 2015
Cloverfield is one of the few found footage films that I can tolerate watching. There is a lot of talent behind this film in Matt Reeves, who went on to direct Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, and JJ Abrams, who is directing the new Star WarsCloverfield is one of the few found footage films that I can tolerate watching. There is a lot of talent behind this film in Matt Reeves, who went on to direct Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, and JJ Abrams, who is directing the new Star Wars movie. Cloverfield is not as scary as I hoped although the acting is better than your average found footage movie, there are some actors that you may recognize from tv or other films like TJ Miller and Lizzy Caplan. This film really falls into a lot of the same problems that other found footage movies have. I really liked the look of the monsters in this film but the reveal was a long time coming. Expand
CineAutoctonoAug 1, 2015
Great movie , as though bothered by the video camera recordings coon this if I definitely pleased , and managed to capture the emotion that is the suspense.
Zanessa250QIJul 6, 2015
UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUPESSIMODROGAPORCARIADESATREMERDa
CinemaSinsMay 9, 2015

Try as he might, director Matt Reeves (making his first feature in a dozen years) cannot develop his human cut-outs into three-dimensional people, and that's what keeps Cloverfield from being truly memorable. When the characters die - as some of them are bound to - there's no real remorse. Some times, there's a little shock but no sadness or sense of loss. However, the use of largely unfamiliar actors is an asset. As in The Blair Witch Project, we're not connecting these performers to their past roles (although Lizzy Caplan bears a striking resemblance to Zooey Deschanel).

It's necessary to cut through the hype to get to the real Cloverfield. I'm not sure the way it is being marketed does it justice. The movie is interesting because it's so damn different. It takes a worn concept and invigorates it by applying an innovative approach. The style will anger and offend some viewers but, if you're able to accommodate the camera, the movie delivers. There are moments of high tension and the sense of danger feels closer and more real than in any recent motion picture. The missteps - the greatest of which is the interminable introduction - are forgivable because the payoff is strong. In some ways, Cloverfield gives the impression of having been produced on a low budget, but the special effects are first rate. The monster and the devastation it causes look real. We believe. And, ultimately, that's the reason why Cloverfield works - because this film takes you into the heart of the maelstrom and leaves you there.
MovieManiac83Apr 23, 2015

acaiberryMar 19, 2015
The idea for this movie is intriguing but man this movie is going to receive a poor score for me.
I'm not even going to go into music man but if there was a musical aspect that I'd like to fix it'd be the damn antagonist. Boring, unoriginal, can we try again??

Like I said, this movie has an intriguing way of making it all from the viewpoint of a camcorder but sigh...for all my motion sickness friends, you're going to wonder who picked this movie and how you can get them back.

Look, you'll be entertained and interested bits and pieces throughout the film, but I promise there is nothing that makes you go "OH wow I appreciate that". They even cut off alot of the interesting parts. Like how are you going to do that to me JJ Abrams (producer)?? Im watching you really hard for Star wars 7.

I always see if they did their homework on background/setting/historical context. and yeah it was cool seeing New York again but how many times do we want to see the same things over and over again in a monster film. Anyway, this review is to tell you the truth so if you want to watch a movie just like this, go on ahead and skip this to check out "I Am Legend" featuring Will Smith.

Word to describe this movie: Despair. You're sitting there more figuring out what is going on and trying to find a reason to enjoy the movie..but you cant, it's a trap.

Dont watch this alone because you'll end up feeling really guilty and have no one to share the pain with. If you do watch this with friends, get another movie when renting/streaming this ready. Recommend this to anyone to end friendships. I'm also willing to fight anyone who gives this a rating above 7
vikesh2206Feb 15, 2015
With just enough scares to satisfy, summer blockbuster Cloverfield is mindless entertainment delivered through the inventive found footage technology.
LoRevisorJan 8, 2015
Tudo bem pode não ser tão ruim como eu penso mas 77% no Rotten Tomatoes e 64% no Metacritic,Puta Merda Os Mercenários 1 e 2 ambos não conseguiram 70% no RT e 60% no Metacritic.
Corre porra!!!! peraí deixa eu gritar,deixa eu corre,deixa eu
Corre porra!!!! peraí deixa eu gritar,deixa eu corre,deixa eu filmar qualquer porra menos o monstro que está atacando todo mundo e a gente e a principal coisa no filme acho que resumi bem só mais uma coisa um dos piores filmes da história do terror e do cinema pronto,merda de filme lixo pronto!!!.
NotoriousFraudDec 10, 2014
One of my favorite giant monster movies, what i like about it is that it takes an original approach to the Giant Monster or 'Kaiju' genre that it's from the point of view from an everyday bystander just trying to survive the attack with thoseOne of my favorite giant monster movies, what i like about it is that it takes an original approach to the Giant Monster or 'Kaiju' genre that it's from the point of view from an everyday bystander just trying to survive the attack with those close to him. Sure the shaky camera can be annoying at times but there is a reason for that, in almost every other cut there is a secret or easter egg, or clue and it can go as far as the inspiration for the film (like the king kong image in the end that you can see if you watch it by frames) or clues for the film itself. The monster was my favorite part of the movie, 'Clover' is an original creature design that is sadly being knocked off in a lot of movies today like in the new 'Godzilla' the Female MUTO moves alot like the monster in this movie and even a few years back with 'Super 8' which was also done by JJ Abrams the monster was really just a smaller version of this one. The acting is not as shabby as a lot of reviewers would let you believe, sure there are scenes of the characters going "OH MY GOD, ARE YOU SEEING THIS, OH MY GOD!" but then again that would probably be my reaction if i saw the statue of liberty's head thrown in the street. It's a really fun monster romp grounded in reality that I recommend as feature for a night in with friends. Expand
horcrux2007Sep 2, 2014
"Cloverfield" is one of the most intense movies I've ever seen. It's extremely fun to watch from beginning to end, and the monster was actually pretty cool as well. It had good acting, and the film mostly focused on the human characters"Cloverfield" is one of the most intense movies I've ever seen. It's extremely fun to watch from beginning to end, and the monster was actually pretty cool as well. It had good acting, and the film mostly focused on the human characters rather than the monster which is something Matt Reeves does in all of his movies. I highly recommend this film even if you don't like found footage movies. Expand
Meth-dudeAug 13, 2014
The movie have some good characters but the actors are really bad so they look like some idiot and the monster is hiding until the end and even in the end we don't really see him.But, the movie have some good action/frightening scenes.
Falcon_D_StormsJun 1, 2014
Very immersive. If you've seen the TV show Jericho, it's almost the monster movie version of that. We only see from the perspective of ordinary people, never important politicians or military generals; so the viewer is imbued with the sameVery immersive. If you've seen the TV show Jericho, it's almost the monster movie version of that. We only see from the perspective of ordinary people, never important politicians or military generals; so the viewer is imbued with the same confusion that a person actually experiencing the events would feel. The Cloverfield monster itself is impressive, and enigmatic. This is my favorite monster attack film. Expand
BakaHaramMay 23, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie has one of the scariest monsters ever put on film. You can only briefly see him before the final scene, but when you finally see his face, well, I wanted to hide under the bed and close my eyes. He is truly hideous and alien looking, unlike, say, Godzilla, who has the most generic design ever.
But the best thing is that this terrifying monster was put in a really good movie, which is less of a monster flick and more of a chronicle of a disaster that is relentless and merciless. No one survives in this, and it is at it should be, considering the tone of the movie. This is not some Godzilla flick where people stand around and atomic bombs do nothing at all. If this type of event happened in real life, the only salvation for those who came in contact with it would be death.
artyshatNov 15, 2013
AWESOME MOVIE Finally something different in this attacks of aliens movies, the "fps" capture is very interesting and i hope one day they make a second movie because the end doesn't was very excellent, so i raise 2 points from the score...
JmsbppOct 1, 2013
Cloverfield es una pelicula, original, interesante y hasta inteligente me atraveria a decir un buen trabajo de Paramount pictures con una camara de video que hace ver mas real y sufrida la situacion, aclaro que en ciertos momentos es incomodo
Kitkatkatie360Jul 10, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Cloverfield wasn't a bad movie, but I wasn't head over heels in love with it either. The action and special effects were very good. I thought the monster and its little "Parasites" looked very realistic. The bombing sequences were captured very nicely. The movie was very suspenseful throughout. I loved how they captured it with the video camera. I've seen that aspect used in a similar sci-fi film "Chronicle". The plot was very unique for a sci-fi/thriller.
The bad points were that there was absolutely no character development what so ever. I couldn't relate or get attached to these characters lives and what they were going through. I think they could have done a better job when it came to showing more of the characters back stories and what they had to lose.
Another bad point was that it was very predictable. I think most people could predict that everyone would die in the end. It was overall a decent sci-fi/thriller. It may seem boring at the very beginning, but if you watch it until the end, I think you'll be satisfied.
morfilJun 26, 2013
I thought that this movie would have its best scenes in the trailers, so when I went in I did not expect too much. But I did expect that it would be different given JJ Abram's influence on Alias. Well, if you're not much for jumpy cameras andI thought that this movie would have its best scenes in the trailers, so when I went in I did not expect too much. But I did expect that it would be different given JJ Abram's influence on Alias. Well, if you're not much for jumpy cameras and are prone to motion sickness, you probably will not stay too long in the theater. But if you can focus wide and not get caught up too much in the details, you are in for an intense and unique take on the monster hits a major city (New York) genre. Where does it come from? What is it? One can speculate, but the movie is really dealing with the trauma of a small group of party goers and their encounter with the extraordinary! The effects are amazing, the acting by relative unknowns, hits on all marks; making the movie all the more convincing to the very end. Not for the faint of heart or the under-aged; under 17s might be up nights with the shakes, definitely don't take preteens! Way better than, "The Mist," a must see for giant monster fans everywhere! Expand
RockodssJun 22, 2013
I thought this movie was an amazing piece of work. Refreshing, well made. a point of view never did before (I don't get people getting sick or like that. you must be one of the worst out there or it's a pretext to hate on the movie. OrI thought this movie was an amazing piece of work. Refreshing, well made. a point of view never did before (I don't get people getting sick or like that. you must be one of the worst out there or it's a pretext to hate on the movie. Or you've seen to many typical hollywood movie and you get sick when they do something else). 1 of the best made "big monster" movies. The hell with those godzilla vs X monster, 1 guy 1 girl doing something REALLY important while godzilla is fighting with the monster. and of course the military getting between. I say Good job J.J.A for putting this out. I watch it monthly, 1 of my best. Expand
Gojira63Jun 13, 2013
I grew up on Godzilla movies of the 60s and 70s and I have always enjoyed movies like this. I was also someone who followed Cloverfield's viral marketing campaign being caught up in the excitement which the first teaser trailer delivered.I grew up on Godzilla movies of the 60s and 70s and I have always enjoyed movies like this. I was also someone who followed Cloverfield's viral marketing campaign being caught up in the excitement which the first teaser trailer delivered. Although I have a few complaints about a couple aspects of the movie; for me the movie more than lived up to the hype and JJ Abrams and Matt Reeves delivered a movie that was a terrifying thrill ride.

I understand that the way the movie was filmed was a deal breaker for some people. For me there were times when I did think the shakiness was a bit too much but for the majority of the film the camera technique faded into the background and I was able to enjoy the movie. Being a lover of giant creature features the other slight disappointment was in the length of time the monster was seen in the movie. I say it's a slight disappointment because I do think that seeing only glimpses of the monster throughout the movie did help create that sense of fear of the unknown and the suspense of what may happen at any minute. But I don't think showing the monster a little more than they did would not have hurt. Also a consolation is the fact that creature designer Neville Paige designed a giant monster that was frightening, very original and innovative.

Much has been said about the plot so I will not rehash it here. I did like the acting and the time in the beginning of the movie getting to know our characters was well spent. For me they were characters which I grew to care about. TJ Miller's character of Hud and his unrequited crush on Marlena provides for some humorous moments of comic relief throughout the film. But the main relationship driving the plot of the movie is Rob who finds the courage to face a monster head on in his pursuit to rescue Beth the girl he's afraid to commit to. All in all Cloverfield is a fun, thrilling and entertaining movie that hopefully has brought a sense of real fright and terror to a genre of films that had long since lost its ability to frighten.
MalevolentMay 31, 2013
Cloverfield is my favorite monster movie ever. I like how its viewed through a camera the whole time. The monster was intense and scary. The parasites were really terrifying. Its just a great movie.
UtopianStuffMay 28, 2013
I'm going to be straight forward and honest, Cloverfield is not perfect, its flawed in some places but that does not mean that I didn't like the movie. When Cloverfield came out in 2008, the found footage genre was still considered unique,I'm going to be straight forward and honest, Cloverfield is not perfect, its flawed in some places but that does not mean that I didn't like the movie. When Cloverfield came out in 2008, the found footage genre was still considered unique, all we had was Paranormal Activity and The Blair Witch Project, now they're like a dime a dozen. The move had its flaws such as the shakey camera work, which made me somewhat dizzy. But Cloverfield all in all was an enjoyable thrill ride with an abundance of suspense. I recommend it to those who like creepy movies, but if you're not a fan of found footage movies, don't watch this film. Expand
Jimbo82Apr 1, 2013
Easily one of the worst films I've seen. There really is nothing good about it. It is film that combines inane and pointless dialogue, bad acting, and no real scares or tension. Thankfully it has a running time of just 85 minutes (which stillEasily one of the worst films I've seen. There really is nothing good about it. It is film that combines inane and pointless dialogue, bad acting, and no real scares or tension. Thankfully it has a running time of just 85 minutes (which still felt like a life time). One that is definitely best avoided. Expand
MarkMusicMar 25, 2013
Better then Avatar, Hunger Games, Twilight, etc. Probably the second best film of 2008 other then Marley and Me. Pretty good acting, visually amazing, plot (New York under attack, man goes to get his ex-girlfriend) simple, handheld cameraBetter then Avatar, Hunger Games, Twilight, etc. Probably the second best film of 2008 other then Marley and Me. Pretty good acting, visually amazing, plot (New York under attack, man goes to get his ex-girlfriend) simple, handheld camera made it more realistic I say definintly check out, great B+! Expand
DukeJonMar 24, 2013
Quite an enjoyable film. Loved the documentary feel and don't agree that the monster's origins, motive, etc, needed explaining. It wasn't really about the monster, after all. The party section went on a bit too long and it didn't succeed inQuite an enjoyable film. Loved the documentary feel and don't agree that the monster's origins, motive, etc, needed explaining. It wasn't really about the monster, after all. The party section went on a bit too long and it didn't succeed in making me feel attached to the characters, the film really improved when we got to the part with the monster attacking. The only complaint I would make about this film is that to me it never seemed very believable that the characters would go to their certain deaths on the off-chance of saving someone's ex-girlfriend. If they had been a couple going back to save their baby (left with babysitters across town?) then it would have made a lot more sense. Expand
crazyc9Mar 21, 2013
This movie was great, but, apparently the director had to go and make it end like all of the other FREAKING HORROR MOVIES. He did that at the worst time also, I mean there was a great love story but then BOOM he goes and ruins it. And theyThis movie was great, but, apparently the director had to go and make it end like all of the other FREAKING HORROR MOVIES. He did that at the worst time also, I mean there was a great love story but then BOOM he goes and ruins it. And they don't even tell you where the creature came from!!!!! All you know is that something is attacking Manhattan and that's IT!! Recommend not watching this movie Expand
mds03Mar 5, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie was scary, funny, depressing, and extremely unpredictable. It was a great movie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I especially liked how good the execution of the story was and how good the character development was. The ending was good because you really don't know the fate of the last 3 characters. Which makes you way more excited for a Cloverfield 2. If there is one. Expand
RikiegeJan 12, 2013
No surprise in this film that is not a masterpiece.
JawsLaxerDramaDec 27, 2012
While there is a good premise, and although I do understand the reason why they shot the film the way they did - all in all, this is at best, a late-night movie and not a grand cinematic experience what could expect. Diagnosis: You're notWhile there is a good premise, and although I do understand the reason why they shot the film the way they did - all in all, this is at best, a late-night movie and not a grand cinematic experience what could expect. Diagnosis: You're not missing much if you pass it, and you might like it. The effects are terrific! Expand
gregforeliDec 7, 2012
This was an effective film the first time around. It's still a gripping watch, although some may find elements of the film a bit annoying. Getting through the first 20 minutes or so really tested my patience as I was not sure what to expect,This was an effective film the first time around. It's still a gripping watch, although some may find elements of the film a bit annoying. Getting through the first 20 minutes or so really tested my patience as I was not sure what to expect, or when to expect it. Expand
Compi24Nov 28, 2012
It's cinematography may be uneasy for some, but I had almost no quarrels with this very straightforward, yet remarkably astute creature feature.
potatoes351Aug 13, 2012
Cloverfield is as good as it gets when it comes to found footage films. Believable, perfectly filmed and expertly promoted. Robert is moving to Japan, so his brother Jason and friend Hudd along with Jason's girlfriend decide to throw him aCloverfield is as good as it gets when it comes to found footage films. Believable, perfectly filmed and expertly promoted. Robert is moving to Japan, so his brother Jason and friend Hudd along with Jason's girlfriend decide to throw him a party. After a massive earthquake the party goers decide to flee into the streets only to find NYC being attacked by some form sort of monster the size of a skyscraper. The classic Godzilla style movie brought into the 21st century with some great SFX and expertly done handheld camera techniques. Expand
7dogguyJul 14, 2012
This movie is very good why you ask because its believable and the special effects are beautiful perhaps one of the best things about this movie is that you never really catch a good glimpse of what the monster looks like this is more of aThis movie is very good why you ask because its believable and the special effects are beautiful perhaps one of the best things about this movie is that you never really catch a good glimpse of what the monster looks like this is more of a suspense then a horror movie so don't expect to be scared but feel terror for the characters that are in this situation Expand
lasttimeisawMay 19, 2012
As the instigator of pseudo-documentary horror/sci-fi, four-years later, I finally got the chance to watch it, stripped down to the film per se, a 80 minutes running time has testified the audienceâ
benido326May 8, 2012
To begin with I think that this film tried to be a Blair Witch, Godzilla mash-up of sorts. That doesn't necessarily make it bad though, in fact I like some of the hand held way of storytelling, really makes you feel more involved I think. AndTo begin with I think that this film tried to be a Blair Witch, Godzilla mash-up of sorts. That doesn't necessarily make it bad though, in fact I like some of the hand held way of storytelling, really makes you feel more involved I think. And the Godzilla portion, that comes from the giant alien type creature that shows up and stomps around Manhattan. And with those two aspects, it turns out to be a pretty decent film. Made by the Bad Robot Company, the production company behind Star Trek and Lost, basically J.J. Abram's company, I don't know if he is the head or anything but all the projects he is involved in, this company is also. This being a Bad Robot film, I knew that it would be somewhat interesting and have some good special effects. And I was right. The film is about a guy's last night in New York before he moves to Japan, perhaps a nod to the Godzilla aspect? And in the middle of the party, about fifteen minutes into the film, there is a big bang as a tanker near the Statue of Liberty capsizes. And then all hell breaks loose. The head of the statue gets thrown down the street, buildings start falling down, and people start panicking to get off the island. And for the remaining 75 or so minutes, you follow three young people as they themselves try and get off the island and save themselves. This is a pretty short movie, less than 90 minutes, but it is a rush. There is not that much real down time once the action starts and I think that that is what the film does good. It almost constantly keeps the adrenaline up. And the closer you get to the end, the more you see the monster and the more you see the destruction that it is caused. So if you want to look for a fun ride of a film, wanna go on a little adventure, pop this one in, sit back, and watch some **** get blown up. 3/5 B Expand
DodgerApr 29, 2012
A poor movie. Some interesting ideas mostly in the form of the recording angle as its supposedly recorded on a handheld camera, personally i didn't think this worked at all though as i found it made it more confusing and didn't draw me in.A poor movie. Some interesting ideas mostly in the form of the recording angle as its supposedly recorded on a handheld camera, personally i didn't think this worked at all though as i found it made it more confusing and didn't draw me in. As most people have stated the ending was awful, one of the worst i have ever seen to the extent that i stood up at the end of the and shouted at the screen. I would recommend that nobody see this movie.... ever. Expand
Trev29Apr 2, 2012
I'm not sure how I felt about all the camera work, but I suppose that added to the creativity. I kind of wish I didn't see that big stupid green monster at the end, but it was still dark and scary at times.
csw12Mar 30, 2012
This little film cam out in a big way. It is a haunting, thrilling and eye popping. I like the way the director hides the monster througout the film and the ending is something that will leave you speechless.
imthenoobMar 7, 2012
When I first watched it, I really liked it. However thinking about the film in my head above, I cant help but think how overrated it is. The cast is average at best, The whole shakey cam adds to the film a bit but its overrated. It was anWhen I first watched it, I really liked it. However thinking about the film in my head above, I cant help but think how overrated it is. The cast is average at best, The whole shakey cam adds to the film a bit but its overrated. It was an interesting monster film that offers a bit of suspense and excitement. Worth checking out imo. Expand
House0fWolves_Dec 16, 2011
You all upset me very much. Who would put down an apocalyptic movie filmed using The Blair Witch Project techniques? Especially with something like T-Rex on the loose? I felt on the edge of my chair the entire film. I could watch this onYou all upset me very much. Who would put down an apocalyptic movie filmed using The Blair Witch Project techniques? Especially with something like T-Rex on the loose? I felt on the edge of my chair the entire film. I could watch this on repeat. Metacritic is giving this stupendous film lousy reviews. Expand
spadenxDec 9, 2011
Once you get past the whole shaky cam thing (which really made the movie) its just your generic monster movie plot. It was an enjoyable film but it was poorly executed.
asylumspadezNov 19, 2011
Eh it was ok. Really just a typical movie if you look past the whole Shakey Cam thing. It was interesting and entertaining enough to keep you watching though so thats a plus but thats about it. Also its rather boring in the begining.
JAM123Oct 16, 2011
This right here is a very under-rated movie. It was a very cool and successful expeiriment that I thought did exceedingly well. It not only kept my attention and stayed interesting throughout the whole thing, it began a new era of film. ItThis right here is a very under-rated movie. It was a very cool and successful expeiriment that I thought did exceedingly well. It not only kept my attention and stayed interesting throughout the whole thing, it began a new era of film. It brought the idea of making the movie look like it was home videoed to the attention of the film industry. I also love the producer(J.J. Abrams) and the director did well with this movie too(Matt Reeves). So after all of that about how good it is your probably asking yourself, "why did he give it a 7/10?" Well the movie isn't completely perfect. I thought for one it could have been a bit longer. It only being like one hour and 10 minutes was kinda a let down. Also, I know it was like home videoed but there was a little too much zooming in and out and shaking of the camera. It didn't have the best angles either. It also was hard to see I feel like. The only time you can watch it is if your in a dark area because in a lot of the parts the glare makes it hard to see the screen and whats going on. One more thing is the actors. They didn't do the best job of acting in this. I guess most of them were just begginning actoras and actresses but they could have done a little better. The only one that did a professional job was Lizzy Caplin(Marlena). She was pretty good in it but then again she has been in a couple of movies before this one. She's not the best acteress though for sure. There is many others better than her, no defense Lizzy. I guess T.J. Miller(Hud) had done a prett y good job too. He had also been in a few movies before too. So those are a few things that this movie lacks and if they make a remake... add these please. So this movie is a pretty good movie with a good plotline and amazing special effects. I highly reccommend you see it. Expand
TAMPjackoonOct 6, 2011
OMG, how did they make this movie. Thrilling, funny, creative, it's all worth it. Though there are some major flaws, but still incredible, and totally worth your time.
grandpajoe6191Sep 17, 2011
I admit the movie was a crazy, thrilling ride. However, just because "Cloverfield" was filmed in first person perspective doesn't mean it is a good movie.
moviegrabbagSep 15, 2011
At points the movie is kind of hard to believe in that the camera survived all the things these characters went through, or that at some point the characters just didn't ditch the camera. The monster is definitely different looking which isAt points the movie is kind of hard to believe in that the camera survived all the things these characters went through, or that at some point the characters just didn't ditch the camera. The monster is definitely different looking which is nice to see a new kind of monster. Overall the movie is worth checking out at least once just to see what it's all about, and it's also a pretty good movie for younger audiences with it's PG 13 rating. Expand
Spielberg00Sep 9, 2011
From the creator of the recently-ended TV series LOST (who is now known as the director of later films STAR TREK and SUPER 8, as well), CLOVERFIELD is the thrilling point where THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW, PARANORMAL ACTIVITY, and GODZILLA allFrom the creator of the recently-ended TV series LOST (who is now known as the director of later films STAR TREK and SUPER 8, as well), CLOVERFIELD is the thrilling point where THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW, PARANORMAL ACTIVITY, and GODZILLA all meet. The use of the similar "cinéma vérité" and "found footage" styles are prevalent to the film's plot, as it enhances the believability of the disaster which the story is centered on. At first, I didn't think it was going to be that great of a film, as it began with a light-hearted mood, but by twenty minutes into it, once the whole disaster started to take place, I was thrilled. Also, the ending was not that great, and it left me flummoxed by how complex it was, but think of the endings to other films made in "found footage" style--especially THE LAST EXORCISM--if you may: they were the same way. Overall, I thought this was a fantastic film. To create yet another monster was a brilliant idea, and for once well-tackled. But if there's one thing about CLOVERFIELD that really goes beyond expectations, it's the cinematography and how ingeniously every action is captured--even if it's on home video. Expand
shamusolarrySep 7, 2011
Overall, this is a decently enjoyable movie. The biggest problems are the slow start (although it does make the movie more exciting when things do start happening) and the abrupt ending. It is too short, and there is no resolution (not thatOverall, this is a decently enjoyable movie. The biggest problems are the slow start (although it does make the movie more exciting when things do start happening) and the abrupt ending. It is too short, and there is no resolution (not that that's surprising in a JJ Abrams movie). However the action sequences are very well done, and it has a very real feel to it, mostly due to the often-criticized, purposefully shoddy camera work. Also, the easter egg at the end was pretty cool: see if you can catch it. Expand
gm101Aug 26, 2011
noobrJul 17, 2011
lack of empathy for the characters, lame plot and a failure to make the viewer suspend their disbelief amounts to a pretty poor film. Concept is good but falls short by a long way.
rotkuJul 4, 2011
Entertaining movie made entirely in a documentary style which adds to the feel of realism. Good pace and character build up and believable in so far as a monster movie can be. Well worth watching.
tonyGreenJun 25, 2011
This JJ Abrams directed sci-fi / disaster movie has an interesting bent: the film is wrapped within the context of the a top-secret federal body reviewing hand-held documentary evidence - the body of the film. As such the medium itselfThis JJ Abrams directed sci-fi / disaster movie has an interesting bent: the film is wrapped within the context of the a top-secret federal body reviewing hand-held documentary evidence - the body of the film. As such the medium itself becomes a plot device. Through the narrow shaky lens of a handycam horrors are half glimpsed, footage cuts out, it feels quite real. Unfortunately I could not feel for the central characters - annoying mid / late 20's New Yorkers with *sigh* relationship problems. And bad taste in music. Things get hairy - it's all just sturm und drang from there on - I assume - I could not be bothered with the end. A bit weak Expand
RoscoeYJun 25, 2011
I have said many times that I'm a sucker for monster movies. And that is absolutely true. In a rare and seemingly dying movie genre, Cloverfield stands out as an exemplary giant monster/horror film that satisfies where needed. The shakyI have said many times that I'm a sucker for monster movies. And that is absolutely true. In a rare and seemingly dying movie genre, Cloverfield stands out as an exemplary giant monster/horror film that satisfies where needed. The shaky camera style works in this movie, its not just a gimmick here and is put to good use. when the main characters are running down the streets of the big apple in terror you are right there with them pulse pounding, and heart beating. there is a certain level of immersion that comes with this filming style and it really works, especially in the claustrophobic subway scenes. The monster itself has garnered some criticism among many movie goers who were expecting some sort of Cthulhu monster-demon thing from the netherworlds or whatever. Personally I thought the creature did what it was supposed to do, it was scary and had me guessing the entire time until it's reveal at the end. I really recommend this movie to anyone who wants a decent monster movie. sure the characters are forgettable and the acting is sub-par, but the journey will leave you breathless. Expand
jaward1Jun 1, 2011
incredible film. moving, exciting and intense! i loved it!! the acting is superb, sound and special effects great and monsters truely terrifying! A must watch!
itz_giologicalMay 23, 2011
My praise for CLOVERFIELD as stated by my RT friends... "a perfectly paced and very interesting film, fueled by its CLEVER SURPRISES" - iirodriguez "TRULY ORIGINAL AND EXHILIRATING." - hmnshmlk2 "Im The odd one out SHAKEY CAM DON'T BOTHER ME"My praise for CLOVERFIELD as stated by my RT friends... "a perfectly paced and very interesting film, fueled by its CLEVER SURPRISES" - iirodriguez "TRULY ORIGINAL AND EXHILIRATING." - hmnshmlk2 "Im The odd one out SHAKEY CAM DON'T BOTHER ME" - angelmarth "This is a movie one enters without expectations. Without having heard of it, it only HAD ITSELF TO LIVE UP TO." - brighteyesboy90 "Searingly intense! Once it gets going IT DOESN'T STOP." - jrogers902101 "While the acting was good, the SPECIAL EFFECTS WERE PRETTY AWESOME!" - joepaulelizondo Enough said. Expand
mmmcogburnMay 10, 2011
Time and time again Iâ
ForeApr 23, 2011
I can honestly say this is the worse film I ever saw in my life. The camera was so jerky it made me want to puke. The story was so stupid that the script wouldn't even beat a porno movie script. The characters are all so irritating that II can honestly say this is the worse film I ever saw in my life. The camera was so jerky it made me want to puke. The story was so stupid that the script wouldn't even beat a porno movie script. The characters are all so irritating that I wished the monster ate them all in the 1st 30 minutes that way my agony could have ended sooner. Not even worth $1 on the cheap bin. Staring out your window for 2 hours is a better use of your time than watching this movie. Expand
CharlottePApr 13, 2011
Given that I watched this in less-than-perfect conditions on the plane through piss-poor headphones, the seat in front reclined right in my face, a tiny screen, screaming babies ago-go, and a fat American man snoring loudly next to me, it wasGiven that I watched this in less-than-perfect conditions on the plane through piss-poor headphones, the seat in front reclined right in my face, a tiny screen, screaming babies ago-go, and a fat American man snoring loudly next to me, it was surprisingly engaging. The word "steadi-cam" did pop into my head a few times - the street scenes particularly were suspiciously cleanly shot - there were a few unlikely escapes (but wait - I thought she was near death with a girder sticking out of her chest?), and of course the monster was ridiculous even in broad half-seen brushstrokes; but there was a sense of fear and panic in the film that must have been rather difficult to manufacture, and i thought it quite convincingly captured the sheer panic, helplessness and chaos of an uncontrollable disaster situation. Expand
kronMar 19, 2011
Clover field is what I call ok and boring. Its cliched and not that scary I mean the first 30 minutes of the movie was just love and drama. Although It does borrow some scary elements like not showing the monster it doesn't work. Rather thanClover field is what I call ok and boring. Its cliched and not that scary I mean the first 30 minutes of the movie was just love and drama. Although It does borrow some scary elements like not showing the monster it doesn't work. Rather than being creepy its annoying. Expand
tvbuffJan 12, 2011
Had this come out before Blair Witch think the ratings would have been better but it didn't so...It's really just an Alien version. Still pretty good. I think a sequel could have potential believe it or not.
MetalMan95Dec 1, 2010
This is one roller coaster ride. Although this does require a suspension of disbelief because this was on-camera monster attack on NYC, It made me believe it actually happened. This movie was scary, thrilling, emotional, and just plainThis is one roller coaster ride. Although this does require a suspension of disbelief because this was on-camera monster attack on NYC, It made me believe it actually happened. This movie was scary, thrilling, emotional, and just plain freakin awesome! I didnt mind the ending whatsoever. Awesome movie. Expand
DirkXXVIOct 30, 2010
Great concept with amazing special effects with a nice story that helps the film escalate. The film also does a good job of providing a likable cast with one major exception, the camera man. The cameraman is basically a weird mix of aGreat concept with amazing special effects with a nice story that helps the film escalate. The film also does a good job of providing a likable cast with one major exception, the camera man. The cameraman is basically a weird mix of a stereotypical nerd and a frat boy. In watching the film it seems like he was selected as a possible source of comic relief however thats far from the case. The best way to describe him is nails on chalkboard. It's unfortunate too because he makes you want to turn down the volume, but that would take away from one of the films strong suits, is its great use of sound. Overall had this film used a cameraman similar to that of Pablo from [.REC] then the film would have gotten a 10 from me. Expand
PaxsterOct 16, 2010
The effects and story are really good and this could of been the perfect monster movie if it hadn't been spoilt by some bad acting. It is really sensationalist and completley unbelieveable. The Movie gets a 6 for effects alone but betterThe effects and story are really good and this could of been the perfect monster movie if it hadn't been spoilt by some bad acting. It is really sensationalist and completley unbelieveable. The Movie gets a 6 for effects alone but better casting would of been nice. Expand
KingmushOct 6, 2010

Sort of an oldish movie here, Cloverfield. I remember when this was first coming out and all the hype surrounding it and people thought it was going to be the best thing ever. Then people watched it and some hated the camera style, some the monster, etc. Well I guess first things first I'll say that I did like it. I am a huge fan of that type of filming where the main character is actually filming the movie (Why I really like Blair Witch Project and Paranormal Activity to some extents). So I thought that was very unique, plus I really like monster/end of the world flicks. If you haven't seen this well I guess I'll warn you about the camera style and if you aren't into these types of movies you may not like it, but for others who do like these types and haven't seen it, go out and see it! Heard there's a sequel planned too! 4 out of 5 from me.
ERG1008Sep 17, 2010
Certainly breathing life into an old format, I enjoyed the majority of it. The characters are believable & the "hand-held" feel adds to the tension & drama.
I would have given in an 8 but the last 10 minutes really let the film down badly for me.
FamousdogSep 9, 2010
Well executed, entertaining stuff, but did we REALLY need this to be set in New York? The whole film seems designed to cynically exploit the relatively fresh memories of Sept 11th. The film loses several points for feeling like beingWell executed, entertaining stuff, but did we REALLY need this to be set in New York? The whole film seems designed to cynically exploit the relatively fresh memories of Sept 11th. The film loses several points for feeling like being repeatedly whacked over the head with a copy of the 9/11 Commission Report... Expand
cdhSep 3, 2010
Unoriginal in both plot and cinematography, the film takes the jerky first-person camera style (and 'discovered footage' device) of the Blair Witch Project and applies it to a narrative which could have been taken from any number of computerUnoriginal in both plot and cinematography, the film takes the jerky first-person camera style (and 'discovered footage' device) of the Blair Witch Project and applies it to a narrative which could have been taken from any number of computer games from the past several decades. It's all here: the giant Godzilla-like monster rampaging through skyscrapers; human-sized aliens straight from Starship Troopers; cliched subway tunnel scenes; you name it. Fortunately for the producers, they had a clever marketing team which managed to exploit both the post-9/11 paranoia and various viral marketing strategies. Expand
ArkonBladeAug 20, 2010
ive seen some bad films such as godzilla's 1998 remake , Jason x , death Bed the bed that eats people , and death stalker 2. but nothing is more terrable then this film . i had nothing bad to say about JJ abrhams till i seen this filth. god iive seen some bad films such as godzilla's 1998 remake , Jason x , death Bed the bed that eats people , and death stalker 2. but nothing is more terrable then this film . i had nothing bad to say about JJ abrhams till i seen this filth. god i dont even know where to start but i will try . lets start out with the camera that god awful camera . i know he was not trying to be original with that Blare witch project rip off style but oh my god it seems any time and i MEAN any time some thing some what intresting starts to happen the camera shakes all over the damn place so nothing is viewable . then the plot which is so simplisticaly stupid i mean this whole movie can be described in 1sentence and basically you will have seen the movie . giant monster attacks and guy goes and saves his girlfriend ... thats it. i mean the old Godzilla movies had more plot then this . i had more questions after seeing this crap then i went in with . you never find out what the monster is , where it came from , why its attacking , what thoose things coming off it are . why people are blowing up after getting bitten . i mean really thoose are the things i know the vast majority of people seeing this turd want to know! people who like tnhis movie try to lie to me and give me bull **** answers on thoos questions just because for some unknown reason they like this piss and wana defend it. listen ive seen this crap 2x it DOESNT ANSWER ANY OF THEM . YOU ARE ONLY GUESSING SO SHUT UP!!! god this movie is just pissing me off reviewing it . that should tell you how bad it is . i mean serously id rather wach the crappy 1998 godzilla film any day over this dribble . this film so gets my vote for worst movie of the decade . Expand
Bullet97Aug 19, 2010
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Friggin amazing!! Scary, suspenseful, action-packed, and creppy!! JJ Abrams delivers an eerrie tale of a giant monster ripping apart New York. The directing is fantastic as we see the city being destroyed from the perspective of a group of survivors, who slowly get killed off one by one!! This movie rocks!! Expand
ChrisJan 25, 2010
To summarise the movie in one sentence: Godzilla, but without any closure. Slightly longer review would be that it has its moments; there are a fair few exciting parts which I think were done well and the acting overall was quite good, To summarise the movie in one sentence: Godzilla, but without any closure. Slightly longer review would be that it has its moments; there are a fair few exciting parts which I think were done well and the acting overall was quite good, however it has more cons than pros. As much as people like the camera work, it really does get annoying after a while. Even if it is "more realistic", we don't necessarily want realism the entire time (hence why we're watching a film about a big alien invading NYC (on that note, why is it ALWAYS NYC?)), and it just gets really annoying having to look at the floor for 20% of the film. So, camera work aside, the film essentially has the exact same plot as Godzilla so it gets no marks for originality there. Still working with the Godzilla comparison though, Godzilla had a better ending at least: Cloverfield just tails off. Expand
DaveM.Nov 28, 2009
Cloverfield is a Blair Witch version of a monster flick featuring a very silly looking monster. The viral marketing campaign was far more clever than the movie itself. Enough with these shaky-cam films already!
0 of 1 users found this helpful
RickW.Oct 19, 2009
Awesome movie interesting mix of monster movie, terror, action flick. One of the best movies I have ever seen. The way it was shot, you feel like you are part of everything.
AlbertD.Oct 18, 2009
Very good monster film.
JimothyT.Oct 6, 2009
One of the worst movies of this decade. The first person was not cool, or original, but just annoying. Lame shots of the monster, poor dialog, and needless to say a horrible ending.
1 of 3 users found this helpful
LukeGSep 29, 2009
Its a good movie, clover (the monster) is alright but not the best, the camera is original, plots kinda original, acting is good, its kinda freaky too.
GodZillaSep 27, 2009
Too bad the knuckleheads behind this 'monstrously' vacuous hack-job weren't smart enough to satirize themselves and their perpetually juvenile, self-absorbed audience. But, then again, why should they? Clearly, the bubblehead Too bad the knuckleheads behind this 'monstrously' vacuous hack-job weren't smart enough to satirize themselves and their perpetually juvenile, self-absorbed audience. But, then again, why should they? Clearly, the bubblehead YouTube generation off of whom they feed royally remunerates them at the box office. Too dumb and removed from actual, lived experience to discern the difference between fiction and reality, or between idiot versus ingenious fiction, the majority of the current youth crowd in this country is the most pathetic ever conceived in human history. Talk about gargantuan urban menace -- they're it. Expand
BenDSep 26, 2009
Another pathetic Fuck You NYC from LA. I actually enjoy that genre as a rule. But this one goes below the belt - which would be OK if it was intended to be nasty. But this is just lazy. I love a good monster and have always enjoyed watching Another pathetic Fuck You NYC from LA. I actually enjoy that genre as a rule. But this one goes below the belt - which would be OK if it was intended to be nasty. But this is just lazy. I love a good monster and have always enjoyed watching pretty people get dispatched one by one (or two or three). But this movie is worse than bad. It is just as calculated and insulting as those jackass color panic codes or the 2002 convention in nyc. The movie simply lifts images from 9/11for popcorn entertainment, either to be faux edgy (eg LA edgy) or more likely because the directors couldn't actually come up with something original. I don't have a problem with movies dealing with 9/11 or using images that resonate from that day. But it has to have some meaning beyond cheap jollies. I can't say i am shocked, given the fact that we now seem to think it's ok to watch footage of fatal crashes - with even National Geographic whoring itself out to make a buck off of bloodlust. But I am irritated at myself for actually sitting through this movie. I'm also a little saddened by the fact that none of the other people posting on this page seem to have been bothered in the least by this exploitation of real people's suffering. Expand
J.CAug 24, 2009
This Was Incredible To Me!So Suspenseful To Me.The Only Flaws Was The Bad Ending.
KPJul 19, 2009
Enjoyable monster flick. Nice to see a different approach for the genre. My suggestion is to take some dramamine before you watch it and then you'll be all set. Good one though, definitely worth watching.
AndrewGJul 5, 2009
An enjoyable monster film, though I couldn't help hating the ending.
TimHJun 30, 2009
I understand that this movie isn't for everyone. Taking that into consideration, the grading criteria is as follows: If: you are looking for an artsy think flick where you come away knowing more about the human condition, then avoid I understand that this movie isn't for everyone. Taking that into consideration, the grading criteria is as follows: If: you are looking for an artsy think flick where you come away knowing more about the human condition, then avoid this. If, however: you are looking for a terrifying POV horror film ripoff where half a dozen trust fund kiddies die before your eyes, check this on your Netflix list. Expand
AlexOJun 23, 2009
Thrilling and intense. I suspect that many of the low user scores come from persons who watched the movie as a rental, rather than the big screen. The movie probably loses much of its impact when viewed on a small set (42" inches or less).