8.2

1. Jun 15, 2011
    A great movie to enjoy alone. It may appear superficial, but it truly tries to deliver a message. For everyone who enjoys good movies, this is a must see. Definitely one of Tom Cruise's best performances.
  2. Nov 28, 2012
    Michael Mann's "Collateral" initially piqued my interest because of it's fairly intriguing premise; a cab driver happens to pick up a hitman for a passenger. However, as I watched the film, I realized that there was a lot more to this film than the well written story. The movie features a breadth of captivating performances. Namely, Cruise's badass "Vincent" character and Jamie Foxx'sMichael Mann's "Collateral" initially piqued my interest because of it's fairly intriguing premise; a cab driver happens to pick up a hitman for a passenger. However, as I watched the film, I realized that there was a lot more to this film than the well written story. The movie features a breadth of captivating performances. Namely, Cruise's badass "Vincent" character and Jamie Foxx's Academy Award-Nominated performance as "Max". Tom Cruise's character is freaking hilarious - this movie features a virtual showcase of Tom Cruise Psychopathic Badassery. Between him and Foxx their chemistry makes for pretty great entertainment and some awesome dialogue too. In terms of technical aspects the film does well at utilizing an arsenal of stylish, yet still subtle camera techniques. Also the film uses a very significant amount of dark lighting to enhance the overall visual quality of the film and the gritty West L.A. setting. The ending sequence of this movie is probably one of the most absorbing scenes I've ever seen - really stressful stuff. Overall, "Collateral" makes for an invigorating experience with a smart story, superb acting, and a poopload of thrills. Expand
  3. Jan 13, 2014
    This movie is my all-time favourite. It offers awesome acting from Jamie Foxx and especially from Tom Cruise, in one of the finest performances I've ever seen. It also boasts great dialogue. Combine this with absolutely thrilling scenes and tense moments, and you get a breathtaking, heart-stopping thrill ride from director Michael Mann. A masterpiece.
  4. BlancoA.
    Aug 5, 2004
    I was a huge fan of Mann's short-lived television show "Robbery Homicide Division" which was also set in Los Angeles. There's something about Mann & the city of L.A. -- he captures its essence like nobody else in recent memory -- maybe since "Chinatown". This is the film that makes Jamie Foxx a legitimate star. His performance is subtle yet powerful. (And, incidentally, Jada I was a huge fan of Mann's short-lived television show "Robbery Homicide Division" which was also set in Los Angeles. There's something about Mann & the city of L.A. -- he captures its essence like nobody else in recent memory -- maybe since "Chinatown". This is the film that makes Jamie Foxx a legitimate star. His performance is subtle yet powerful. (And, incidentally, Jada Smith and Mark Ruffalo are wonderful in smaller roles - both of which feel gritty and authentic.) You come to expect a lot from Tom Cruise, and he delivers in an unexpected way in Collateral. No character in this film is stock, and everybody keeps you guessing. Sure, there's a typical Robbery-Homicide, Homicide: LOTS - style of plot, but the plot is unimportant. It's the exchange between the righteous cab driver and the morally bankrupt hitman who immediately learns to appreciate the discipline and guiding principles the cab driver lives by. I also have to say that the music choices in the film are spot on. Go see this and enjoy. Expand
  5. AndrewC.
    Aug 8, 2004
    Absoluetly masterful. not since mann's last production (heat) has he gotten me so excited about a film. just go watch it. you won't be disappointed.
  6. EddieV.
    Aug 9, 2004
    Amazing, intense acting, in your face directing. I'd see it again in a heartbeat.
  7. Myles#13
    Jul 2, 2006
    An average script with super acting and first class directing by Michael 'Still The' Mann.
  8. FarisC.
    Jan 2, 2005
    This action packed movie is comparable to Speed. I enjoyed the fast-paced, twisted, and sometimes startling action. I also found the acting to be superb. The actors really fell into their characters easily. The soundtrack was very modern, beaty, and kept the pace of the movie. The special effects backboned this movie and were well thought out and placed. But, the best part of this movie This action packed movie is comparable to Speed. I enjoyed the fast-paced, twisted, and sometimes startling action. I also found the acting to be superb. The actors really fell into their characters easily. The soundtrack was very modern, beaty, and kept the pace of the movie. The special effects backboned this movie and were well thought out and placed. But, the best part of this movie was the storyline, played out flawlessly and never leaving you wondering how A reached B. So, basically, good acting, great soundtrack, excellent effects, and seamless storyline. Expand
  9. GerronK.
    Oct 3, 2004
    A spectacular film! This movie boasts of a brilliant, top notch performance by Tom Cruise and it is a fast paced, gripping thriller that will hold you attention for the full 2 hours. The best film of 2004 yet!
  10. MikeK
    Aug 23, 2004
    Well done. This movie does have some interesting plot coincidences that seem unbeleivable, but they aren't any more unbeleivable than a hitman hiring a taxi driver's help to finish a job. Cruise and Foxx are great, Pinkett-Smith looks great and adds a great story. Favorite scene is in the jazz bar... totally unexpected. Nice pace throughout. A great escape from reality for 2 Well done. This movie does have some interesting plot coincidences that seem unbeleivable, but they aren't any more unbeleivable than a hitman hiring a taxi driver's help to finish a job. Cruise and Foxx are great, Pinkett-Smith looks great and adds a great story. Favorite scene is in the jazz bar... totally unexpected. Nice pace throughout. A great escape from reality for 2 hours or so. See it. Expand
  11. JudsonD.
    Aug 26, 2004
    It entertained me......and made me grateful I don't live in LA.
  12. DavidC.
    Aug 7, 2004
    Really great movie... awesome performances with great characters. This is one of the best movies this year!! The look of the movie is very fitting to the mood of it and its story. You never get bored 'cause you get very interested in finding out what's going on inside the characters minds and there is great action. The one thing that annoyed me was how deliberate they advertised Really great movie... awesome performances with great characters. This is one of the best movies this year!! The look of the movie is very fitting to the mood of it and its story. You never get bored 'cause you get very interested in finding out what's going on inside the characters minds and there is great action. The one thing that annoyed me was how deliberate they advertised Bacardi (I guess they needed something on the cab to make it real... but at a certain point, the only thing you see on screen is that ad for like 10 seconds). Expand
  13. ArthurZ.
    Aug 8, 2004
    Excellent.
  14. RB
    Sep 27, 2004
    Action & character! Just great!!
  15. SaerA.
    Jan 24, 2005
    Collateral is one of the best of 2004. Tom Cruise and Jamie Foxx deliver escellent performances. Before even seeing Collateral, I knew it would be good. Michael Mann did an excellent job directing this nice peice of work. I loved it.
  16. EstebanC.
    Jan 6, 2005
    The well-written story is directed with a great sense of style and suspense and the actors' performances of Cruise and Foxx are suprisingly good. A fine piece of work by Michael Mann!
  17. Randeh
    Oct 17, 2004
    Well i guess we can finally forgive Tom Cruise for those horrible performances in Vanilla Sky and the MI series (let's not even mention the last samurai!) Not only does he prove that he's just as adept at playing the villain, if not better than playing the hero, but Cruise has firmly put those skeptics of his acting ability in their place. I've been a Mann supporter for Well i guess we can finally forgive Tom Cruise for those horrible performances in Vanilla Sky and the MI series (let's not even mention the last samurai!) Not only does he prove that he's just as adept at playing the villain, if not better than playing the hero, but Cruise has firmly put those skeptics of his acting ability in their place. I've been a Mann supporter for ages now and he's not disappointed. Having said that, the ending is somewhat predictable and lacks the innovation you wouldve expected from the almost 2 hour leadup. On the whole however, Mann has succeeded in giving the noir films an air of fresh breath, with the shots of LA setting it apart from the usual noir City with visible dark center centre to a bleak, sprawled urban maze, the focus on identity and anonymity rather than morality is also welcome =) Expand
  18. DanS.
    Dec 13, 2004
    The best film of 2004. I absolutely loved it. Of course, I also loved Mann's "Heat" and hold it as a tie for the best movie I've ever seen along with LOTR. Cruise really stood out for me. Vincent is so cold and amazingly efficient, he gave me chills. I really felt Vincent was more chilling on some psychological and visceral levels than the Terminator. This movie was a lot of The best film of 2004. I absolutely loved it. Of course, I also loved Mann's "Heat" and hold it as a tie for the best movie I've ever seen along with LOTR. Cruise really stood out for me. Vincent is so cold and amazingly efficient, he gave me chills. I really felt Vincent was more chilling on some psychological and visceral levels than the Terminator. This movie was a lot of fun, can't wait for the DVD! Expand
  19. alv1
    Oct 4, 2004
    Excelent movie, i'm from Mexico, and i like it very much...a very good performance by Tom Cruise and it is a fast paced, gripping thriller that holded me attention for the full 2 hours.. the soundtrack is also very nice.
  20. WilliamM.
    Aug 11, 2004
    I am very happy with the way this movie turned out, just like i expected, this was going to be more about the characters than the action, but also the action is very strong on its own. I dont feel like writing an unusually long review but before i quit there is part that is a personal favorite. when you see that max is realizing that i life is really gone nowhere, and I'm talking I am very happy with the way this movie turned out, just like i expected, this was going to be more about the characters than the action, but also the action is very strong on its own. I dont feel like writing an unusually long review but before i quit there is part that is a personal favorite. when you see that max is realizing that i life is really gone nowhere, and I'm talking about the before the big confrontation. he is forced to go into the night club as vincent, midway he realized that he could quit playing the nice guy and take control he figured out if he wants to be in control it is right there for the takingand he took and liked it, and showed up multiple times him trying to act like vincent, and enjoying it. michael mann played that perfectly. i would recommend this to anyone, but tell warn them its not quite going to be what you expected. Expand
  21. GabrielV.
    Aug 11, 2004
    This was an excellent movie. The best performance by Cruise in a long while and was Foxx shows that he can be an actor and not just a funny man. The only negatives were the actors that played the Cops and the F.B.I agents. Other than that excellent movie!!`
  22. BillC.
    Aug 11, 2004
    Probably the most entertaining movie i've seen in years. Gorgeous directing, and the acting is just on another level.
  23. JuliaO.
    Aug 11, 2004
    Thoroughly enjoyable - I don't usually go for action flicks but this one demanded my attention - acting is great!!!
  24. RustyB
    Aug 29, 2004
    I believe this was a fairly decent movie. As an avid firearm user, the tatical training and use of firearms demonstrated by Tom Cruise in this movie was spot on. It was great action sequences.
  25. RobertW.
    Aug 4, 2004
    Saw a press screening and it is the best film of the year so far!
  26. GrahamM.
    Aug 6, 2004
    This is the best film I have seen so far this year. All I have to say is that if it was say, ten minutes longer I would not mind.
  27. Wongit
    Aug 7, 2004
    This is probably one of the best movies i saw this summer, and i have seen a lot. jame foxx is great, tom cruise is amazing bad guy. great acting, great directing, great dialoge, the ending had me on the edge of my seat. very few movies have done that for me, this was amazing.
  28. NelsonF.
    Feb 14, 2005
    As good as an action/thriller/drama can get!
  29. TonyL.
    Mar 11, 2005
    Great movie kept your attention and on the edge of your seat.
  30. RyanM.
    Aug 16, 2004
    Stylish, taut, focused and near flawless. One of the best films so far this year.
  31. JamesM
    Dec 11, 2005
    Forget what you think: this is so much more than a buddy action/thriller. This is an absolute masterpiece.
  32. ryanb.
    Jan 26, 2005
    This movie is the coolest movie its about a man paying the taxi driver 500 to go to 5 stops and the hit man killed those people and they had cops chasing them this movie is the coolest movie ever.
  33. KyleA.
    Jan 29, 2005
    The best film of the year. Yes, it may be an action film, but it's the only movie from 2004 that's honest and made with a ton of heart and thought. Spellbindingly intense.
  34. danl.
    Mar 31, 2005
    1 of the best movis of the year!!!!!
  35. James
    Apr 29, 2006
    A masterpeice one of the best films of 04. One of tom cruise's best performeces also I was shocked at jamie foxxes performance.
  36. ChristopherP.
    Feb 23, 2008
    I love this movie. What is most appealing about it is the suspense, pacing, and overall style. Vincent (Tom Cruise) is the epitome of a cool-headed, deliberate and heartless professional killer. Attractive of his role is the depth of his character. Often he'll respond to Max's (Jamie Foxx) obvious signs of distress and anxiety with a psychological and philosophical response I love this movie. What is most appealing about it is the suspense, pacing, and overall style. Vincent (Tom Cruise) is the epitome of a cool-headed, deliberate and heartless professional killer. Attractive of his role is the depth of his character. Often he'll respond to Max's (Jamie Foxx) obvious signs of distress and anxiety with a psychological and philosophical response meant to calm him, at one point lecturing to him the concept of adaptation.. It really separates him from the typical hit man in many movies, and it's very entertaining to watch. Jamie Foxx does an intense performance, portraying well Max's coping and dealing with his predicament, and he develops as a character as he faces more severe stress, following the theme of "adaptation" that Vincent mentions early in the movie. Side characters such as Fanning (Mark Ruffalo) add to the depth of the story well by giving a different perspective. During the twist near the end of the movie involving Vincent and Fanning, Vincent's nihilistic philosophies are highlighted. I've heard a lot of complaints regarding the unrealism of the ending, but I didn't have too much of a problem with it. I mean, Vincent was shot in the face beforehand, so that may have been a bit disorienting. With regards to that, I thought it closed very well and had a well-directed final few moments that kept me on the edge of my seat. It's overall an exceptionally entertaining film to watch, with quick pacing, sharp dialogue, intense performances, and consistently evolving characters. Expand
  37. JackB
    Feb 14, 2009
    Dont listen to Chad (SPOILER), i think in just about any circumstance, one person could kill another if they had a gun and someone else didnt! Been watching too many movies chad!
  38. DaveD.
    Dec 16, 2004
    Michael Mann has produced another high quality crime thriller in Collateral. Right from the opening scene, It bears all the hallmarks of his style, including that unbelievable use of lighting and colour that he put to such good use in Heat. No other director out there right now can capture that whole "City as a living, breathing thing", that Mann effortlessly does in his movies. If you Michael Mann has produced another high quality crime thriller in Collateral. Right from the opening scene, It bears all the hallmarks of his style, including that unbelievable use of lighting and colour that he put to such good use in Heat. No other director out there right now can capture that whole "City as a living, breathing thing", that Mann effortlessly does in his movies. If you have a decent home theater system, this movie will provide you with a showcase example of just exactly how good DVD can look and sound. Yes, it gets a little "Terminator'ish" towards the end, but both Fox and Cruise pull off a couple of fabulous performances, the latter demonstrating just how versatile an actor he can be. Taps and Risky Business seem like an awful long time ago. Highly recommended. Collapse

1. The movie never really gets below that surface. It sticks to the mean streets of Los Angeles without much introspection or analysis. But those surfaces are slick and beguiling.
  2. Reviewed by: David Ansen
    Mann vividly captures the nocturnal pulse of East L.A. in this taut, confined game of cat and mouse. In the homestretch the thrills get too generic and farfetched for their own good. But the first two thirds are a knockout.
    Shot by shot, scene by scene, Mann, whose recent work includes “Heat” and "The Insider," may be the best director in Hollywood. Methodical and precise, he analyzes a scene into minute components.