6.4

1. Oct 1, 2011
    Totally average in every way. No character development whatsoever. The most developed character in this film was "the government", and you know they are always the bad guy. And that whole thing with Lawrence Fishburn made no sense whatsoever. It's like they may have had something in the first cut, but then they had to cut the movie down to 2 hours. As a result, the audience was left with nothing to attach itself to, except the virus. Expand
  2. Sep 9, 2011
    This is a sorry excuse for a movie. There is no character development whatsoever and other than people dying from an unexplained virus there is nothing much going on. There are more plot holes that Carter has little liver pills. There isn't one character in this movie that you even remotely care about it. The Government is always the bad guy no matter what. Matt Damon the star picked up a nice check but exactly for what I have no idea. If anyone can tell my his job occupation I sure would like to know. Expand
  3. Sep 19, 2011
    A real disappointment, given a good director and such a good cast. Just very mediocre all the way around, starting with a premise that his been done before (Outbreak, The Andromeda Strain), but those films showed more imagination and established more compelling relationships between the characters. It's good filmmaking, but not a great story.
  4. Sep 9, 2011
    Great cast, decent acting, but disappointing movie. The science and relationships between the various agencies was interesting, as was the detective work. Jude Law's character felt more like an afterthought, not a solid piece of the plot. The movie had a good message, but it gets lost. I have recommended to friends and family - save your money and wait for the DVD.
  5. Sep 15, 2011
    An hour and 45 minutes of your life you will never get back. This movie was a miserable experience. Not in the least compelling, lacking any and all suspense, leaving you with nothing but discomfort. DO NOT SEE THIS MOVIE.
  6. Sep 16, 2011
    Classic Soderbergh but at his best. Thrilling and stressful. Heavy and compelling and very believable. Not over sciencey but enough to tie together a very realistic feeling and terrifying possibility. Timely and touching. He pulls you in to the characters even though it is the most shared screen time and the very def of an all star ensemble cast. Honest and not too bleak. Well done. Its got a "Traffic" feel to it. Superb film. Collapse
  7. Sep 9, 2011
    The actors and music were great! The movie started off good but slowly fell apart. The story was not consistent. Gaping holes in the story and the ending kind of sucked. The science was good but i left feeling disappointed. OK for renting but doesn't belong in the big house!
  8. Sep 12, 2011
    An almost 2 hour film with an ensemble cast trying to look concerned about a virus. There is no horror, action or shock factor in this movie at all. I was expecting at least something exciting to happen in the movie but I guess Warner Bros. spent all the money on the cast and filming locations. It has gotten so many positive reviews because it could possibly be the first chick flick to feature a super virus and Laurence Fishburne. Expand
  9. Sep 13, 2011
    This subject is more frightening than the movie. It's a rather cerebral look at the worldwide spread of a lethal new virus: personal reactions and panic in the streets, while scientists attempt to find a cure. The first 30 minutes almost seem like an upscale government informational video about plagues. While numerous parallel stories develop, none of them makes an emotional impact. The star-laden cast gives it gravitas, but director Steven Soderbergh keeps his distance from involving drama. Cool soundtrack. You WILL probably be a bit more enlightened about hygiene and touching your face! Expand
  10. Sep 19, 2011
    My son asked me if this was a good movie and I had a hard time saying "yes". It wasn't a bad flick, but nothing really happens in it from a film-making point of view to qualify as a "good" movie. It wasn't a documentary, but it felt like it several times. It wasn't a thriller, but it felt like it several times. The main problem for me was that there wasn't a central character to focus on. There were too many storylines. Some of them were interesting, but not so much as too garner all the attention. It just kind of meandered all over the place. Some stories play out, but others are left dangling in the wind. The audience is supposed to surmise the character's fate. The acting is top notch, but a similar (and better) movie is 1995's Outbreak, with Hoffman, Russo, and Freeman. Neither is very strong, but at least with Outbreak there is a plot and central characters to follow. Expand
  11. Oct 1, 2011
    This is somehow rated high and given lots of attention, but for what? ... I give it a zero - it states the obvious possibility of a disease that can go viral. Whats new about that? ... The thrill was there at the beginning after the first 30minutes it was lag to sit through.
  12. Sep 17, 2011
    Well I have to admit I now feel foolish for looking forward to this movie. It was horrid. There was only one character that was developed enough for me to even care what happened to him, and that was that I wouldn't have minded if he got the virus. The movie was so massively boring that the best part was the close up shots of door knobs and drink glasses. This is a movie to walk out of and save your precious time. Expand
  13. Sep 18, 2011
    I really don't understand why Contagion is getitng all these high scores. I'm sorry to say it but this is one of the worst movies I've seen in a long time. It starts out with Gwyenth Paltrow dying in the first 10 minutes of the movie, and people around her also mysteriously dying. After the beginning, the movie just turns crap, there are like 5 stories happening at once which have no connection to each other, one of them including Kate Winslet dying of the virus which made no sense because Kate Winslet had no role in the movie except being shown in an abundance of abnoxious video montages filled with horrible music. By the end of the movie, you feel like you want your money back because nothing ever happened. So, unless you want to see a movie as straight forward and boring as a Swine Flu movie, you should just stay at home or go watch Bucky Larson or something. Trust me, you will hate this movie. Expand
  14. Sep 18, 2011
    The trailer is fantastic, there is nothing else to the movie. It just plods along, not feels urgent. Yes, people are dying but it is in the abstract. The movie is really about the virus and CDC's reaction; the characters are all wooden. Save your money; if you feel you need to see it wait until it shows up on cable.
  15. Sep 14, 2011
    For all its stars, Contagion has no characters. The plot never grows, and the movie's best scenes appear off-screen. Some of the characters merit annoyance instead of pity and the themes are utterly irrelevant. Can "wash your hands" be a theme? Contagion could have made analogies to the spread of information, but instead chooses to scare its viewers into carrying hand sanitizer.
  16. Sep 22, 2011
    The cast and acting were extremely seductive but the plot didn't live up to the expectations. This is another thriller with foaming mouth people from all over the world. Everything was flat and predictable.
  17. Oct 7, 2011
    This movie is very boring the only good parts very the first 10 minutes and the last 10 minutes everything in between it is just filler. Its mostly just people talking I thought I was going to fall asleep in the theather, I was so bored. One positive thing about this movie was the soundtrack it sounds like nine inch nails which is one of my favorite bands. the good: cool soundtrack
    the
    bad: its boring its mostly just talking, the movie drags out to long it could've suprisingly been 30 minutes and said all it had to. Expand
  18. Sep 11, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. At the opening credits the lightblulb goes on produced by an Arab company - Imagenation Abu Dhabi - releasing a movie about a worldwide epidemic killing 8 million people opening intnetionally the Friday before the 9/11 anniversary. When I... looked it up I noticed it was supposed to release 10/21. And not one Arab country gets the disease in the film storyline. The biggest surprise is how boring it is. What moron takes two of todays best actresses (Gwyenth and Kate) and kills them off in the first 40 minutes of the film and gives them nothing to do when they're alive. Then glues a fake crooked tooth on the front of Jude Law's mouth. The Arabs finally found a legal way to fund Al-Qaeda. Steven Soderbergh should be ashamed of this piece of crap film. Expand
  19. Sep 12, 2011
    Unless you are a hypochondriac with a wild imagination of your own, this movie was a disaster. The acting was fine, but the movie was slow moving and barely kept my attention. It was Steven Soderbergh's sloppiest work to date. I couldn't see any good reason to pay the extra money to see this in IMAX. I thought there might be some amazing cell imagery or something to capture the attention and fascinate, but this was pathetic. I go to the movies every week and this is the first time in my five years of consistent movie-going, that I was prompted to create one of these accounts and say something. Expand
  20. Sep 16, 2011
    This movie is truly a boring dog without any unexpected developments. A waste of time and money. Why were Matt Damon , Gwyneth Pattrow, Kate Winslet in the movie if they had no real part to play? A virus gets out and is spread around the world by traveling people. There has to be more to a story to make a movie than that. I suspect the writer quit early on and the camara people and actors just sort of winged it from there. For a moment we had hope that something would happen when the antibiotic was injected in people world wide --but alas--no werewolves developed-- no nothing. People in the theatre could be heard softly muttering--don't tell me that 's it. It's going to end! Good grief did there was nothing. The screen lit up --then a dragging lot of nothing and then it ends. Just huh! well it was no "I am Legend". SCore=0 Expand
  21. Sep 16, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie had great potential. It had a great lineup of cast members, and the doomsday senario is definately appealing to those who enjoy watching apocolyptic style movies. However this film failed to deliver the excitement that it portrayed in its previews. Overall the movie is downright boring to watch as it jumps around, and does not adiquately portray the level of emotion, panic, crime, and civil unrest that one would expect if the world was on the verge of a major collapse by a virus that originally had no treatment, no vaccine, was easily spread by airborne and fluid transmition, and had a high casualty rate. The movie tended to jump around to various characters, and required the viewers immagination to come up with conclusions of how most of characters would end up at the end of the movie. Despite the cast, the acting was poor and most of the cast did not show much emotion. There were very few parts with action as most would expect fights with the military, civil disobedience, mass rioting, looting, and increased gang activity poping up. Most movies of this type have shown numerous sights of mass graves, body collection, and even bodies dead on the streets. You see fighting with government officials/ military personel, rioting, mass looting, and overall increased crime. The potential seriousness of the situation was never really brought out as it jumped around too much to other characters and did not give any character enough time to really develop a solid story line. Parts that seemed to intensify quickly went away and were forgoten about. An example would be when Mitch Emhoff (played by Matt Daymon) is trying to get out of Minnesota into Wisconsin, but is blocked by U.S. military. He gets out of his car, argues with the solder for a few seconds and then gives up and gets in his car and turns around back into Minneapolis. No other attempts are made by his character to leave the area. He just goes home and thats it. Such a good law abiding citizen during times of crisis! (also extremely unrealistic) Another moment is when Mitch Emhoff is looking at his neighbors house one night and hears gunshots within his neighbors house, he dials 911 and gets no response, nothing else happens (though one might expect somthing would happen, but it doesent) He goes over to his neighbors house only to find nothing, except that he finds a gun and takes it home only to set it by the front door. You never see anything else happen regarding the gun or an attempt of looters to break into his house. The movie just jumps to a different character. By the end of the movie it does have an interesting ending of how the virus began, but otherwise it was a very dull movie that could have done so much more. What a waste of money. The best part of the movie was when I got to get up and leave the theater.
    For those who think this movie was great, probably have not seen "Outbreak" or even Steven Kings "The Stand". Those doomsday senario movies are much better thought out, directed, and executed.
  22. Sep 17, 2011
    I was expecting a great film and was very disappointed to say the least. This film seemed thrown together. It was very choppy with no good storylines or plot, with no supence. I couldn't wait for it to end.
  23. Sep 18, 2011
    I am still pissed I paid 14 dollars to see this craptastic movie! There are a lot of big names in the movie, but way too many characters! It doesn't make any sense why they were even there! I thought that all that character buildup was going to lead to some exciting conspiracy. No, all that lag time for the movie to just end. The first 5 minutes was the best part. Doing laundry is more appealing than watching this movie. TERRIBLE!!!! Expand
  24. Sep 19, 2011
    this is a video review of the movie i found on you tube that i thought was interesting so take a look for yourself

25. Sep 25, 2011
    Contagion is about a group of people who must deal with the spread and containment of a highly contagious disease. Based on that statement you could probably guess what might happen. Sick people, a search for the cure, and widespread panic. Contagion is exactly what you think it is. Not to say that's bad, but I was not surprised by anything I saw.

The disease starts in Hong Kong, from
    there it is carried by Gwyneth Paltrow back to the states where she and her son die within a day or so. Her husband Matt Damon, immune to the disease, is left to take care of himself and his daughter.

Meanwhile Laurence Fishburne, Kate Winslet, Marion Cotillard, and a few other major players are notified of numerous deaths happening around the world. The disease is spreading quickly, and the Center for Disease Control must find a vaccination and keep the public calm.

Jude Law a conspiracy blogger/journalist broke the story first. He questions if the CDC is really trying to help. He finds a medicine that he believes cures the disease, and spreads the word. As millions become affected chaos breaks out, road blocks are set up, and the people go nuts.

Soderbergh directed an all star cast. Scott Burns wrote a fairly smart script. The movie was well put together and entertaining enough, but nothing more than you'd expect. I wish Soderbergh would have gotten a little more experimental, maybe tinted the movie red or something like he did with Traffic. It seems like disease outbreak movies can go in one of two directions. An epidemic occurs and everyone turns into flesh eating zombies Aka 28 days later & I am Legend. Or an epidemic probably stemming from an animal becomes widespread, and the government works to contain the disease and the world seemingly goes ape **** Aka Outbreak.

I honestly felt like Contagion was too predictable and brought in tons of characters the movie couldn't devote enough time to explore. John Hawkes who I loved in Winter's Bone, plays a Janitor who shows up only once in each act of the movie, his character seemed compelling, but was pretty much wasted. The movie somewhat explored the idea that the government and CDC took care of their own before the average person. Hawkes character could have been used to show the struggles and desperation of a lower income individual taking care of his family during this epidemic.

Winslet and Cotillard were intriguing as well, but are never really explored. They came and went without us really knowing anything about them. I completely forgot about Cotillard until they mildly tie up her story near the end. I think this movie could have benefited from chopping off some of the extra meat. There were probably 7 or 8 main characters introduced, and only 2 or 3 were given the proper time to develop. Contagion tried to be this massive story about all these different people, but it just couldn't be done in 100 minutes.

For this movie to work, they were really gonna have to get us involved with these characters. So when they cry, we cry. When they are angry, we get angry, and so on. They basically just crapped on Matt Damon's character the whole movie, and by the end, sure I felt bad for him, but I wasn't really upset. His wife was cheating on him, he couldn't give his family a proper funeral, and he was stuck inside with no food protecting his daughter for months. I was more like, "jesus christ" cut this guy a break. You waited for some kind of reprieve, but what they gave him was pretty unsatisfying.

On the positive side, I always say if I can finish a movie in one sitting it was pretty good. And like I said the cast was impressive. Matt Damon is a great actor and he did what he could with the wiggle room he was given. He had two key emotional scenes, hearing his wife has died and dealing with it at the end, both were good. Jude Law probably had the best overall part. They flipped him around so rapidly, you're never really sure of his motives. He was probably my favorite character.

I really did like contagion, it just didn't add anything to the genre. If you're going to make a movie on a topic that's already been explored, you have to find a unique way to tell the story. This movie just rang repetition in my ears, and it'll quickly be forgotten.
  26. Oct 6, 2011
    Great cast and topic, but I expected more from Steven Soderbergh. The dialogue wasn't very good, no great performances by a actor/actress. The movie as a whole mainly focused on the humane aspects, but I would have hoped to see more how media and the drug industry affect the society and government - how todays capitalists actually run the governments. In general, it wasn't a bad movie, but nothing memorable either. Expand
  27. Dec 17, 2011
    Thrilling, with a cool original score with just amazing fantastic performances from: Marion Cotillard, Jude Law, Gwyneth Paltrow, Matt Damon, and most of all Kate Winslet. I give this film a 97% of a good movie.
  28. Sep 12, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. For a movie about an epidemic, it really could have used a greater sense of urgency - or perhaps some zombies. It just falls flat and doesn't go down the rabbit-hole on enough issues. Would have been interesting to know a bit more about how the politics behind how the vaccines were being made. I'm not sure I'm a fan of how they reveal the initial source of the contagion at the end. Interesting, but there just wasn't a lot to it. Expand
  29. Sep 17, 2011
    When i first saw the movie start, I had the usual human reaction...confusion from lack of initial information. As the story progressed, you start to meet many types of people, some good and some bad. It is similar to most hero's tales, except the vilan is not just one person. The villan is a virus humans can't explain. It is like Darth Vader as little, tiny viruses that exist almost everywhere at once. There are people who want to be greedy and take advantage (who you could say are villans) and those who truly want to stop the virus (who you could say are the heros). Whatever you call these people, they are part of a story that affects more than a village, city, or state, but the entire human race. The plot was well thought out, and the characters developed well. It didn't, however, follow the predictable plot of most movies, since there was no climax or central vilan confrontation. Making a movie like this is hard, and even harder to do right. I believe the makes of this movie took a good shot and hit the target, just not the bull's eye. Expand
  30. Sep 26, 2011
    This movie was boring and no action. They used medical terms that my sister, who is a nurse, did not know what they were talking about. They did not explain characters. We thought the one lady was Fishborne daughter, not, it was his future wife. Another character, was kidnapped, when rescued, and she realized that she was given a placebo antidote,therefore, she decided to stay in Hong Kong, but, the story did not tell us why or where. Another character, Matt Damion, they kept referring to him, but even though he was immune to the flu virus, he had no other impact on the cure, > Do not waste your money. We paid $12.50 to see this on a MAX screen but this should of never been made for it. Expand
  31. Feb 29, 2012
    Contagion is a very interesting movie. It is about a topic that we do not care until it is all over the world, an epidemic. But the things that difference it from other biological thrillers are the unknown origin of the disease and the multiple perspectives of the development of the epidemic.
    The unknown beginning of the virus gives Contagion a sort of mysterious atmosphere, but also
    approaches more to reality, because in most of this situation the authorities notice the problem when there are a few amounts of death people and several others infected; so the only solution is to find a cure. And if you add to this a new form of transmit the virus and scientific bureaucracy; you got a promising and very scary picture.
    The multiple points of views, which is a signature characteristic of a contemporary production, gives the movie a sort of feeling of a vast reality that no one can hold; and this is simply what a virus can do to humankind.
    Contagion has a terrific idea, simple performances and some characteristics of documentary; but the development of the story it is absolutely predictable.
  32. Mar 31, 2012
    First off, I would give it a 9.25 out of 10. Performances are great. Especially Jude law and Matt Damon. Music Score all right, and story intense. It will make you scared of getting sick as jaws made people scared of going in the ocean. This is a really well acted film.
  33. Mar 6, 2013
    I had much higher hopes for this movie, but it turned out to be a decent disaster movie, with some reflexion on medical companies who could generate profit from these pandemics. I did not like how some characters acted totally un-realistical. When Kate Winslet's character tells that an average human touches his/her face thousands of times a day... What does she do next? Walking among infected people without wearing face or eye protection...Un-realistic...The other performances were all average, nothing outstanding. I can not really recommend this movie. It is nothing more than a great budget version of the same pandemic formula with the message that some pandemics might be created by medical companies to generate profit through their vaccines. Expand
  34. Nov 2, 2011
    This movie was a poor attempt at simulating the movie Outbreak. It was slow to begin with, with incoherent scenes and the characters were all dull. I'm not being biased either, as I find factual science and documentaries fascinating, so a mix of these two should have been great... but it wasn't. I'm also a big fan of Laurence Fishburne, but this role didn't do him any justice. How this got a better review from the critics than Machine Gun Preacher, I have no idea! Expand
  35. Oct 22, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Slice of life (or in this case death). No significant plot just a plodding look at the progression of a pandemic. I wouldn't call that revelation a plot spoiler since the preview essentially tells the whole story at a glance. That said I stayed engaged for the whole thing, but I could understand if you didn't. I guess I was waiting to see how it ended... Here's your plot spoiler... It doesn't... it just stops abruptly! Let's just say I'm glad I bought the matinee priced ticket for this one. Expand
  36. Nov 7, 2011
    Contagion borrows an overdone plot device and adds its own unique flair. An epidemic sweeps across the world, and it is up to one man to save his family from the invisible threat. At least, this is what you can infer from the trailer. However, after viewing Contagion, I get more of a documentary sort of vibe from the film. No matter what turmoils may be occurring, Contagion always brings it back to the cold hard facts. The Science. Which is good, if you're into that sort of thing. However, it felt as if the characters were underdeveloped or swept under the rug as an afterthought. The entire film could have been an endless source of suspense and drama if only the director decided to stop playing teacher once in a while. And considering the brilliant cast, one would expect that this would be the case. This brings me to my next point: the camera. During the opening moments of Contagion (the scenes that I remember the most, I might add) there were several shots that were held for far too long. This problem was subtle, but it made the film feel like a middle school media project. That being said, Contagion never falls flat on its face, and it did keep me on the edge of my seat throughout a few especially well done scenes during what I perceived to be the climax. Expand
  37. Apr 21, 2013
    Contagion tells a decent, realistic story of... uh, contagion. It's fascinating on the scientific front but also rather cold and distant. Not to mention undramatic; the deaths of millions are seen from a very clinical, detached viewpoint. Still, it tells it's story effectively enough to scare you into using hand-soap more regularly.
  38. Sep 29, 2011
    The movie was well made with good acting and dialog. But really there were just too many deadends and predictable outcomes where the story just didn't go anywhere or add anything to the movie. I mostly enjoyed it but it definitely could have been a lot better with such a high class cast.
  39. Sep 19, 2011
    Honestly, I'm disappointed that more moviegoers don't 'get' this movie. Yes, there are a lot of plot lines to follow and some people are going to be disappointed that their favorite actor/actress doesn't play a bigger part in the movie. But the process of weaving so many stories together has the wonderful effect of causing the intellectual moviegoer to consider many aspects of a single story, ultimately considering the question: "Where would I fit in this story?" That's a powerful and important point in this instance. For example, some have stated that the scenes with Jude Law's character seem like a diversion. There's a point to that. He may be the most important character in the movie. I will stop short of offering a spoiler and just say that there are subtleties at work here that mimic the world we live in. Pay attention!

I lament that so many people watch this movie and say, as one reviewer has, that there is "no real plot development." Instead, this movie should be applauded because the plot development was real; i.e., realistic. I, for one, wish more movies were like this one.
  40. Sep 9, 2011
    A couple of years ago, news and health agencies the world over were concerned about a possible pandemic stemming from bird flu and swine flu. Thankfully like SARS a few years earlier, the outbreaks were rather small thanks to a wealth of precautionary information and measures. In the new film â
  41. Sep 23, 2011
    Overall i liked the movie, it had good moments, and a great cast can actually work well together. The idea of putting what cause the contagion in the last scene was brilliant, I was trying to figured out, and off course it had to be something like that, you don't infect half of the world just by coughing and sneezing, it had to be much more than that, as they showed in the final scene. Matt Damon, Kate Winslet and Jennifer Ehle were the ones that really stood out and Steven Soderbergh definitely brought a film that puts you in a careful situation from now on, you'll think twice before doing something. So for me the movie was good, it had a good story, good performances, and a good director. Expand
  42. Sep 15, 2011
    This movie is huge. It stars Matt Damon, Jude Law, Marion Cotillard, Laurence Fishburne, and Kate Winslet. It's about a disease wiping out millions upon millions of people. That disease is spread by the most seemingly unavoidable of all things... contact. And on top of it all, with that one little bit of contact, you're pretty much guaranteed a tombstone. But with Steven Soderbergh directing, we get a much more controlled (but still sprawling) version of the chaos. With all of the characters and supporting storylines going at once, it's easy to get lost, even a little bored, and that's definitely to the film's fault. Even so, we're supplied with an incredible score, terrific performances from an all-star cast, terrifying imagery, and the occasional instance of effective human drama. Expand
  43. Oct 1, 2011
    Now, "Contagion" here is a great example that all horror movies don't need a masked killer with a knife. It's movie that reveals the horror of a crucial virus, the horror that happens in our daily lives. With director Steven Soderbergh's consistently patient cinematography and his icy cold tone accompanied with a ensemble (veteran) cast, he proceeds to present us that one touch with others can result in disorder, panic, and suspicion against others until it results in the destruction of the society's core. A great movie you must definitely watch. R) 7.8 Expand
  44. Oct 6, 2011
    Though hopeless it may be, I suppose this is somewhat what society would do if put in this circumstance. I thought it was very intelligently put together. The directing, the story line, the side stories as well...All were very entertaining and left you wondering what would happen. I loved the movie. It was disturbing -- Considering how realistic it could have potentially been.
  45. Jul 31, 2013
    Educational and with a subject that rarely, if ever, gets handled by Hollywood thrillers. I could easily recommend it to anyone interested in the subject, but it's the realism and the sober, analytic treatment of something abstract, that makes me almost give it top score. A perfect ten it isn't, at all. It's no classic and it's no milestone in film. But it's something very special, competently executed, and educational for the layman. If only everyone watched it, we might not touch our faces as much, and we might not create demand for pig slaughter. Let's get rational about sources of diseases. In the real world, the financial interests are not to be trusted, whether governmental or private. We can only ever ask of each other to act in wisdom. Expand
  46. May 4, 2012
    I thought the movie was decent when i first watched it. After watching it a second time I realized how the story would just lag. Was good at first, second time around was just boring.
  47. Jun 11, 2013
    Excellent actors and story. I liked the film. Side effects is better though. However Contagion is fun to watch and the ending is surprisingly unexpected. I totally respect the director. Great movie....
  48. Nov 2, 2011
    I was expecting more from this film , i went to to it with my wife and well my problem is with the film in general because the acting was really good. I really dont remember what i was expecting to see but i do remember when the movie was over i felt like well ok it finished lets go home now.
  49. Sep 11, 2011
    Contagion is pretty good movie that spreads people with deadly diseases that kill millions of people around the world that makes us scare that what will happen to this world. We can see that the movie shows everything that there are several people have serious problems that they need to get rid of disease and they couldn't find the cure to heal them. This movie is pretty done well that spreads messages that could take a really serious thing that they'll be happening to us that it's infecting the entire diseases and it's worth for a dramatic movie. Expand
  50. Oct 13, 2012
    This movie will confuse the audience as it confused me. I've watched it 8 times so far and its still not clear if Morpheous is still in The Matrix or outside it. And we were lead to believe the world came to an end through the battle of man & machine. Now they've changed the story to a virus. I'd wish they would make up their minds.
  51. Sep 10, 2011
    Okay folks, it was a bit drifty, and funny, as I viewed it...yes, there was the horror of the killer virus, but also, so too, the reality aspects of it that says then and now, some people WON'T DIE when these things hit. HELLO! And that's a GREAT point! And, yeah, more will probably die from the panic, etc. Recently had a major blackout. Hmm, did we pass the test? Are you ready? For any thing? Are we still being led by the nose? As for the film, yeah, it was short, only an hour and 45 minutes? FELT LIKE 3 EASY! But still it was well made and the folks in it WERE good. Keep going 'Steve'. I don't like all of what you do, but this one's pretty good. Expand
  52. mpg
    Jan 26, 2012
    very well done... acting was solid and the script was tight... the flow of the movie was also very good...i thought this was the best epidemic movie i have ever seen....not a happy topic but never the less entertaining...
  53. Sep 14, 2011
    Gwyneth Paltrow's payback for introducing the world to Goop. Steven Soderbergh makes amends by letting Elizabeth Bennett save the day. The only thing missing was Colin Firth hacking up a loogie on a subway.
  54. Jan 22, 2012
    I am not sure what is scariest, that the most intelligent and advance species on the planet is so vulnerable to an organism invisible to the naked eye or the sideaffects of such an epidemic, where you cannot even bury your loved ones? Great thriller, very well written and brilliantly directed.
  55. Nov 16, 2011
    For some this is the real horror movie of the year; shot with a gritty realism whilst balancing a wide star studded cast covering every level of society affected by this virus making it feel almost like a mock doc 'what if?' scenario. Enthralling from start to finish but never exciting or exhilirating but it does succeed in casting an uncomfortable image of mankind that you might find disheartening. It struggles to balance all of its characters and the finale comes without fanfare or indeed a real sense of victory. Contagion won't excite you but it certainly will keep you hooked. Expand
  56. Sep 10, 2011
    By the look of the cast, the story, the suspense, I couldn't wait to see this movie. Well, I expected a little bit more, but in general it's good. I felt like they should of have showed more at specific parts. So '' Contagion '' is a realistic movie about a virus that's spreading around the world. The film barely started and it already brought you into it, which was the way it supposed to be. If you like psychological thrillers, then you will enjoy it. The acting was solid. I mean, come on, you know it will be strong on the acting with this kind of cast (Matt Damon, Laurence Fishburne, Marion Cotillard, Kate Winslet, etc). But, I founded useless that well known actors had such small roles. For example, Gwyneth Paltrow barely played in the film, and her part could have been played by anyone. For some odd reason, this movie reminds me of '' The Social Network ''. Yeah, yeah, I know their totally different movies. But it had the similar cinematography, with similar ambiance (expect that '' Contagion '' had a serious problem) and the '' cutting '' from scene to scene. It's the kind of movie with high expectation and fans who are hyped for this, but it's not that big of a deal. Yes it was good, but it could have been a little bit better, the characters should have been more developed and could have been more '' completed ''. Expand
  57. Jan 2, 2012
    Is an entertaining movie, but only for an afternoon, nothing memorable, with a script pore risky, with irrelevant parts, and I have to emphasize the soundtrack was one of the things that caused me more trouble. I really expected a great movie but I was disappointed.
  58. Sep 23, 2011
    Make no mistake, this is not a normal, bland thriller so many viewers will be diverted, but if you view it intelligently, this is a very good film. The direction is stylish, the actors are phenomenal and the fear it instills in you is only made worse by the fact that this is a situation that could actually happen.
  59. Sep 18, 2011
    With an A plus cast, a great premise, and some solid drama and suspense, Contagion gets lots right. But the lack of a real plot or satisfying conclusion does make it somewhat of a disappointment.
  60. Nov 15, 2011
    The synopsis is the best you'll get from Contagion as the movie thrills you for a bit then it dies off like a pill. This is one of those movies that are better off in books than on the big screen.
  61. Dec 3, 2011
    Contagion presents docu-drama than epidemic virus-thriller movie. Less action more talk. Any medical explanation is really helpful. Nothing special but it's great in every department. What do you expect from thriller abouT virus? Zombie? No, Kate Winslet as heroine.
  62. Sep 23, 2011
    Movie viewers either like or dislike this movie by the user reviews to date. He is why. If you are looking for action, car chases, and explosions, this movie is not for you. This film is slow paced with dialogue, multiple story lines to keep track of, and suspense. It will give you pause for thought on how our government and community would respond to the same events as in the film. It is a thinking film and is rewarding but it makes you work for it. All in all I liked the film and give it a strong 7. Expand
  63. Jan 4, 2012
    Its an enjoyable movie to watch and certainly keeps your intention. The character played by Jude Law is a meaningless distraction and its obvious that most of that sub-plot ended up on the editing floor. The chromatography is excellent.
  64. Oct 6, 2011
    A chilling and frightingly realistic cinematic experience. Directed by Steven Soderbergh, Contagion focuses on the rapid progess of a lethal indirect transmitted virus that kills within days. As the ever expanding epidemic grows, the worldwide medical community races against time to find a cure whilst trying to prevent mass panic that is spreading faster than the disease itself. Soderbergh has obviously done his homework tremendously well heading into the film and his depiction shows the difficulties implicated from all angles from discovering exactly what disease it is they are dealing with, the problems finding a cure and the mass panic the epidemic would undoubtedly bring. The film itself show sits brutality from the beginning with Beth Emhoff (Gwyneth Paltrow) returns home from a business venture in Hong Kong however two days later the collapses with a seizure, her husband Mitch (Matt Damon) rushes her to hospital however she ultimately dies with the doctors unable to pinpoint what actually killed her. This sparks a series of deaths all over the death and prompts the entire worldwide meidcal community (including Marion Cotillard, Lawrence Fishbourne and Kate Winslet) into desperate action to find the nature of the disease, its cause and vitally, a cure but whilst also preventing mass panic. However, the effects of the epidemic are soon felt throughout society as ordinary people struggle to survive in a society being ripped apart by fear. A recurring element smartly used by Soderbergh are the simple, everyday items and objects that are touched by the infected and become vectors to infect other people. The film runs along smoothly but does require your attention but it also emotionally encapsulating in particular showing a Emhoff's fight to keep his daughter alive in a seemigly doomed society. The ending eventually reveals the cause of the outbreak and how it came into connection with human life. Overall, as a disaster movie it excels as we have seen them all from natural disasters, global warming end of the world things but never before has their been a more genuine disaster movie. This won't be for everyone but its a tense, unnerving and frighteningly realistic. Expand
  65. Sep 20, 2011
    This was a good movie. Matt Damon and Jude Law as usual, played as the amazing actors they are. This movie was moving and to be honest it's much more scary than any horror film or zombie flick, because this is most definitely possible. One flu virus spreading so quickly without anyone being able to find a cure fast enough to save everybody, it can happen and thats the scary part. This movie was very good but the only issue I had with it was it seemed to move really quick, I understand its supposed to exemplify how quick the virus spreads and kills but it seemed to move too quickly right from the very start, but other than that, I had no other issues besides the fact of how scary and realistic it was. Quick funny story, at the movie theater I work at, when i was getting ready to clean the theater after this film got over, NOBODY leaving the theater would touch the railings and they were all standing 5-10 feet from each other, apparently this movie is scaring everyone else. Anyways, this movie was very good, a definite must see, unless your one of those people who freaks out over the possibilities of a epidemic then stay away, but other than that, go see, 8.5/10 Expand
  66. Jan 14, 2012
    Fantastic movie. Superbly written, acted, and directed. Definitely creates a very suspenseful atmosphere. Shocking, and quite accurate, Contagion is a must see. On another note, it somewhat reminds me of Albert Camus' The Plague.
  67. Sep 10, 2011
    Well written, well acted, thought provoking and somewhat frightening; "Contagion" tells the story of what happens to individuals and society as a whole when something unseen wreaks devastation and havoc on mankind. Normal, law abiding people are driven to kidnapping, home invasion and worse. Politicians run for cover and seek out scapegoats. An internet blogger uses demagoguery and conspiracy theories to create panic in the public and profit for himself and others. Meanwhile, medical scientists scramble to find a vaccine for the worst pandemic to hit modern mankind.

Once again, Steven Soderbergh does an excellent job with non-linear story telling
    although this film doesn't have the same "gut punches" as "Traffic," which was much more character driven. This film is not for the squeamish or the "scared y cats" although it's less gory than your average episode of CSI or Bones. All in all, it was an interesting and fast paced 106 minutes, which I highly recommend.
  68. Sep 25, 2011
    I thought this was a very exceptional film. Thrilling and exciteful it keeps you on your toes throughout most of the movie. It's got a good plotline, cool soundtrack, amazing cast, and good sci-fi drama mix into it. Steven Soderbourgh is an outstanding director and this is another great movie to add to his legacy. It did get a little boring but that's the only flaw I could find. Matt Damon, Gwyneth Paltrow, and Jude Law are only three of the outstanding performances by the great cast of Oscar winners. Comedy Centrals Demetri Martin also makes a great performance even for one of the side characters, I was surprised he was in it. So in all this movie was a fantastic thriller that I hope to maybe even see in the Oscars next year. Expand
  69. Sep 13, 2011
    The movie was oddly mellow for having the world suffer a highly fatal plague. That is to say there were no intense situations or extraordinary circumstances that would transform a character into something beyond a small piece of the puzzle. Each person had a small roll to play and none of them went beyond that. There are two sides to that coin - on one hand, you had a disjointed story of various people and their outlooks on life, death, family and duty - on the other hand, you got to see a wide variety people's reactions in what could be a very really world phenomenon. I didn't know how to feel coming out of the theater; the movie wasn't bad, but it wasn't great, hence a 7/10. Expand
  70. Nov 12, 2011
    A tutting shame. Great pitch, a disease outbreak hits a populated area with no time to contain it (could happen) starts on day 2 (genius, keep em guessing till the end) great cast and Jude Law! But, oh dear, they forgot one or two simple things. Pacing a movie is not an easy thing so jumping from character to character and popping 'day 12' 'day 28' etc, is plain lazy! Jude Law (and that really annoying tooth attachment) warble around the movie like an annoying 8 year old playing make believe in the back garden. On the positive, the reveal at the end, although not worth the wait, is neat (spot the irony of the company chopping down the trees?) and the film does have..... an ending. Expand
  71. Jan 8, 2012
    Contagion is a boring medical thriller with an awesome cast . The whole film seems too slow and the thrilling part wasn't so thrilling . It could have been an amazing thriller film but I found no life in the story . The story started good way but after that Contagion started to go down and finally at the end it was a great Disappointment . The only think kept me going was the acting. Marion Cotillard ,Matt Damon,Laurence Fishburne,Gwyneth Paltrow,Kate Winslet was great but Jude Law was the best thing in this whole film . His acting was great & also his character. If only they would work on the script it could be Soderbergh's one of the top films. Expand
  72. Sep 21, 2011
    This movie was very well done. With very solid acting from a stellar cast. This movie in my opinion gives you everything you hoped for, but it wasn't what I would say, "UNBELIEVABLE." But it was near flawless. And Steven Sodehberg's stylish direction really makes this a highly entertaining, great suspense thriller.
  73. Dec 4, 2012
    "Pulse pounding and thought provoking movie about how a deadly virus outbreak might change the world we lived in. despite many character being poorly undeveloped and the plot which almost hard to see or even followed.fortunately,Soderbergh's style and skill in bringing detail into each scene manage to make it something worth to watch,but it was the screenplay by Scott Z.Burns that made "Contagion" looked so credible and believable as it was happened before. Expand
  74. Nov 10, 2011
    Soderbergh reprend le même principe que Traffic. La drogue, c'est fini, place à une contamination virale! Avec en plus un casting en or (Matt Damon, Marion Cotillard, Jude Law, Kate Winslet et tant d'autres), ce film promettait. Malheureusement, il ne sera pas la claque tant attendue. D'accord, pour un film s'appelant "Contagion", il faut bien admettre que le sujet est détaillé comme il faut. Mais le scénario s'intéresse plus au virus qu'aux personnages, se montrant incroyablement sans âme et limitant à un point les jeux d'acteurs pourtant excellents. Contagion souffre de l'absence d'une puissance émotionnelle et de scènes véritablement "choc" qui auraient pu le rendre intéressant au possible. Et je ne parle pas d'une bande -son qu'un certain Tron n'aurait pas renié. En somme, le film est fade, mou, inintéressant, mis en scène sans imagination et joué sans certitude... Franchement, ce film aurait pu être un documentaire, tant on a affaire à une leçon qu'à un long-métrage. Expand
  75. Nov 26, 2011
    This movie was awful. It has a few unrelated storylines going on at the same time, meaning we never really get a clear protagonist, and none of it really goes anywhere. There were several scenes that seemed to have been shot quite dramatically that never relate to the rest of the movie. It feels as if they took four or five different movies and clipped scenes from them together into this mess.
  76. Sep 13, 2011
    Soderbergh has become one of the most experimental and daring mainstream filmmakers in history. His newest offering, Contagion, is unlike any film heâ
  77. Sep 9, 2011
    From the heart of warner bros. her comes another thriller thats gonna thrill you and make sure u will take care of pandemic diseases in your life.performances of matt damon and kate winslet are awesome.the aura the film creates will definately make you see the movie twice
  78. Sep 10, 2011
    I was rather disappointed. It had a strong cast of characters but including these many actors didn't come without repercussions. There was little to no character development as half of the cast had smaller parts. The part of this movie I enjoyed the most was the soundtrack. Eerie, intense, pulsating electronica that really nailed the mood of the movie. The ending was the worst part. Completely unsatisfying. Not for the weak of heart, I guarantee you'll be paranoid about germs for a few days after! But I think that's the fun part. If the movie had a better ending it would be a solid 8...otherwise for me it' a 6. Thanks for reading. Expand
  79. Sep 11, 2011
    This is one of the most frightening movies I've ever seen. Soderberg does an exceptional job of showing the breakdown of society while health agencies try to quell a worldwide pandemic.Gritty photography and a bare bones, realistic script make this movie an adult horror film for the ages.There is no slasher. Jason is not coming at you at every turn.It is much more visceral horror. A virus so small, you need an electron microscope to see it. But will it be more powerful than all of us? A movie with plenty of star power but few star turns, the ensemble casting of this movie takes the viewer back to some of Soderberg's best work in Traffic. Expand
  80. Sep 12, 2011
    This suspenseful film about a lethal airborne virus is terrifying - not like The Ring or Texas Chainsaw terrifying, terrifying like it could really happen to you terrifying - with a believable plot and A-list acting that only makes it more powerful.
  81. Sep 12, 2011
    This is a dsappointing movie. Found it boring about half way through. Thought performances were perfunctory at best especially Matt Damon's. Premise semed too contrived...many loose ends. Music soundtrack annoying. Not an enyoable experience for my wife, son and me. Hard to believe the large cast signed up for such an undertaking. Must have been lots of $ involved. Equally hard to understand the favorable reviews I've seen. When are we going to see some high quality movies? A terrible year so far. Expand
  82. Sep 15, 2011
    original story, interesting POV, great acting, large cast, awesome suspense... amazing movie. thats all that needs to be said but i atleast need to write 150 characters
  83. Sep 16, 2011
    Wasn't disappointing by any means, but is also not a must-see movie. Good acting, especially from the children, and an original musical score. But the movie left too much unanswered (and not in a sequel kind of way) and the climax was rather irrelevant to what the entire movie leads up to. Worth a see, but maybe wait until DVD. It didn't seem to stand out from any other decent collapse-of-society movie. Expand
  84. Sep 17, 2011
    This was probably the worst movie I've ever seen. There is absolutely NO character development. You never really care about the characters because the movie shift the main character focus every 5 minutes. The story itself is pretty stupid, it is basically: There's a virus. People panic. There's a vaccine. That's it
  85. Jan 19, 2012
    I think there are two ways of viewing Contagion. The first view is that its a character drama which lacks emotional resonance and fails to deliver, which is a valid standpoint. However the other way to view the film (how I received it) is one where the main character is the virus, a cold ruthless killer which brings about the same qualities in the supporting characters it affects. The cold detached methodic approach to the storytelling is both true to how the outbreak would be handled and its also indicative of how the people would feel at the time with there being no hope on the horizon. Contagion's approach is so detailed and complex with every little detail of the outbreak being handled. The film follows an all star cast as they handle the outbreak of a swine flu times 100 virus. The film swaps from small town america to big city living, from quarantine co-ordinators to scientists working on an antidote in a seamless fashion making the film a very streamlined affair. In fact the editing is one of the best parts of the film as it creates a tension in the film and it just keeps ratcheting it up as the film continues. Its a well constructed, tense and claustrophobic thriller that is both informative and haunting. Well worth a watch. Expand
  86. Sep 18, 2011
    I like real world survival-ism so this is a movie that I would enjoy and did. I had no expectations going into the movie and I think that's why I liked it.
    I like the political points it adds as well as what people would do in an epidemic like this. Its not a Horror film so if you go in with that mindset you will be disappointed. The ending makes you think hard about how easily things
    like this could happen. Expand
  87. Sep 25, 2011
    This isn't the sort of movie to see if your craving a few screams or chills up your spine. It will cause you no fear at all in the theater, but once you get in the car and drive home, the fear catches up to you. I believe I've washed my hands at least seven times in the last hour. The acting was incredible, however, and the plot was interesting and realistic. If your looking to be scared out of you mind for weeks after watching, this is the movie for you. Expand
  88. Oct 8, 2011
    I was generally pleased with this movie, the opening couldn't have been better. It had really nice dialogue throughout out and the plot line wasn't too linear. The music in this movie was fantastic. Acting was mostly good throughout (saw alot of A-list actors so it better be). Though some parts of the movie are left open ended and I would have rather liked to have seen more of the international plot lines instead of just focusing on the US. I would have like to have seen them use each of them equally. Other than that good movie, miles better than Wahlberg's flop "The Happening". 8/10 Expand
  89. Oct 4, 2011
    wow, what a horribly boring movie. saw it cause nothing else to see, and a world-wide infection sounded cool and Matt Damon is an awesome actor. story started out slow, kept hoping to see it pic but it failed to develop, the movie felt like a waste of great potential. wish i had that 8 dollars back
  90. Oct 11, 2011
    Unbelievably boring. Start off strong, seems to be going somewhere, then goes extremely boring from middle to finish. Documentary is more interesting than this. No character development, no touching moments, no climax. Is this a documentary of H1N1? Go watch it if you want to appreciate mindless bang bang B movies from now on, because at least those have some sort of climax and plot line. Would those so called critics tell me what's so "thrilling" or "frightening" about this movie? They are so irresponsible to give such good reviews for such a boring movie. Expand
  91. Oct 19, 2011
    Contagion isn't action packed and it isn't heavy on special effects. But, what Contagion is heavy on is story, and a story you will get. Great story, great acting, and an overall great movie.
  92. Nov 27, 2011
    Given the subject matter, it did pretty well for a movie about a killer strain. I thought the character development was brilliant, not just focusing on one particular person and managing to see how it affects other people in different ways. It wasn't just based on the virus, but we also had a look at the worldwide panic it caused. I became more scared of the riots and the lengths people went to to survive rather than the actual virus. I reckoned this could be used when it came to 'every man for himself' or even Darwin's theory of evolution: 'Survival of the fittest'. I loved Jude Law's character best, a sort of rebellious bohemian blogger targeted by the government for being a fraud. Often, this film also shows how willing people are to take advantage of someone else, so there are various other themes rather than just the physical aspect. I wouldn't be surprised if some people developed OCD and hypochondria after they'd seen it. Expand
  93. Oct 25, 2011
    Oh, no...another movie that capitalizes on our ultimate F.E.A.R.s (Future Events Appearing Real)? Not exactly. Although Contagion is a vividly imagined scenario of a pandemic which creates world panic, it is also a compelling mystery with richly portrayed characters. With one exception I cannot fail to point out, Contagion is a compelling, well-paced film with intricate plot twists.

There are heroes, victims and villains in Contagion which boasts a talented and prestigious cast, including Gwyneth Paltrow, Matt Damon, Kate Winslet, Jude Law, Laurence Fishburne, Marion Cotillard, Elliott Gould, and Jennifer Ehle. As the virus escalates to international proportions, these actors portray the carriers of the virus, the officials of the Center for Disease Control and the World Health Organization who attempt to respond and contain the disease, the well-meaning family members who escalate the panic, and finally those who seek to capitalize on the disease for personal gain or personal safety. The script ingeniously contemplates the impact of a fast-moving virus, with no vaccine, on the world and on the individual, and the performances reinforce this impact with their authenticity. Contagion is a playbook for a disaster preparedness plan complete with the bureaucratic stumbling blocks, but with selfless acts of heroism to overcome them. If only.

Unfortunately, during the flashback montage at the end of the film intended to reveal the origin of the deadly virus, the filmmakers play their ideological cards in a way that is not only hokie, but the lameness detracts from this otherwise deftly delivered film. Although there may be many real-life examples of corporate misdeeds with negative impact on the environment and human kind, the filmmakers presented their idea in Contagion in such a contrived, implausible scenario that it insults the intelligence of a thinking person with its obvious agenda. For these reasons, I give Contagion an average rating of five out of ten...just don't forget to think. This review also appeared at www.filmdilettante.com.
  94. Apr 14, 2012
    Although it was predictable, Contagion is a creepy eye-opener that rises on the strength, fortitude of it's stellar cast and it's stylish direction.
  95. Oct 24, 2011
    What a let down started well,built up and thought we were in for a big disaster film,which would be fast moving,plenty of suspense,and some fear..

For me, instead it was like watching a boring documentary about viruses.

The critical parts of the film, and there build up were not featured enough, and the ending a great disappointment.A great opportunity to make this a gripping film,in
    the end it was just a limp handshake.Why did they bother ? Expand
  96. Oct 25, 2011
    I went to see this film last night and I think this is the worst film I have seen in my life. Very boring, and no point in it at all. The story line sounds really good but it does not seem to work for some reason. Very big disapointment overall.
  97. Oct 26, 2011
    To sum it up in one word - disappointing. The storyline is slow to pick up pace, and is ruined by repetitive music that doesn't fit in as characters on the screen mime. The tension and drama grows mid-way through, and I was left feeling something big was going to happen. Whatever this 'big' thing was, it never came, and the film closed on an anticlimax, leaving me thinking "what was the point in that?". The realism portrayed in the film is boring, as are the random voice-overs of news presenters and constant shots of doorknobs, handles, buttons etc. All in all, it's not awful, but I would certainly not recommend it. Expand
  98. Nov 5, 2011
    This movie was the BEST. No, I mean this - A very excellent plot planned out, great performances from Matt Damon and the others, and the suspense they add into this Sci-Fi Thriller. Nevertheless, this could be a better and realistic version of "The Happening".

1. Reviewed by: Dan Jolin
    Oct 17, 2011
    A starkly effective ensemble drama which could well do for the sniffles what Jaws did for great whites.
    Like much of Soderbergh's recent work, Contagion feels a little sterile, more like a cinematic exercise than something with blood pumping through it. It's certainly high-minded - it might be the most high-minded disaster movie ever made.
  3. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Sep 12, 2011
    Contagion is serious, precise, frightening, emotionally enveloping.