7.1

1. Oct 31, 2010
    I'm surprised none of these critics gave "Conviction" a four-star review. This is a touching, compelling story with a pitch-perfect cast. Each and every player is dynamite, especially Sam Rockwell and Juliette Lewis. A definite must-see!
  2. Apr 12, 2011
    This movie was really worth watching. Story flow is very smooth. It shows how easily one can get convicted based on some lies, the biggest problem of the legal system. These mis-convictions can become really costly to individuals and families. The movie also shows how many loop-holes there are in the legal system, and because of that, it can take up to a few decades to resolve a case.
  3. May 25, 2015
    A lot of film are made that are based on a true story, and most of these films claim to be inspirational, but seldom are. Finding a truly inspirational film, that is based on a true story, is like finding a needle in a haystack, in this case, that needle is called Conviction. Betty Anne Waters (Hilary Swank) came from a dysfunctional family, dropped out of High School, got married, and hadA lot of film are made that are based on a true story, and most of these films claim to be inspirational, but seldom are. Finding a truly inspirational film, that is based on a true story, is like finding a needle in a haystack, in this case, that needle is called Conviction. Betty Anne Waters (Hilary Swank) came from a dysfunctional family, dropped out of High School, got married, and had kids, while she was still a child herself. She never wanted to be anything more than a housewife, until her brother, Kenneth (Sam Rockwell), was convicted of a murder she knew he couldn't have committed. It took fifteen long years, but Betty Anne got her GED, finished college, and went to law school, with the hopes of one day getting her brother exonerated. Hilary Swank stars and thrives in roles like this one. Despite her beauty and talent, she is one of the most down to earth people in Hollywood, and is always very believable as a normal, every day person. In most of her films, she is the kind of person audiences empathize with and cheer for, making her perfect for this role. She is paired with Sam Rockwell who is one of the most underrated stars in Hollywood. The man has immense talent, but is seldom talked about, because of the awful films he decides to star in. I have admired Rockwell for a long time, but this is the first time I can remember rating a film he was in higher than three stars. Conviction is a real story, written by the people who lived through it. It is heartfelt, inspirational, and most importantly real. The film may have bombed in theaters, but it is a true gem that was seriously overlooked. Expand
  4. Oct 26, 2010
    Its horrible, melodramatic trailer does little justice for this surprisingly good drama. Sam Rockwell is perfect (as usual), and not only was I really invested in these characters, but I found myself questioning the brother's innocence throughout. It is far from a perfect film, but I absolutely felt invested in the story from beginning to end.
  5. Nov 8, 2010
    The movie overall was good. There were at times, I thought this was to be a lifetime movie, but then the performances and tight script made this a feel good movie. Juliette Lewis only on for like 10 minutes, but her performance was amazing. Hillary Swank I realized, is best when playing everyday ordinary people. The movie will get a couple of nominations.
  6. Mar 4, 2011
    I just watched this movie and was impressed after watching it. Not a single performance is weak; not even the child actors seem to have trouble with their roles. The story is a bit of a heartbreaker, yet ultimately satisfying and rewarding. There were moments in the film that seemed a little too convenient (I won't spoil anything), and there are a few clichees throughout, but it's based onI just watched this movie and was impressed after watching it. Not a single performance is weak; not even the child actors seem to have trouble with their roles. The story is a bit of a heartbreaker, yet ultimately satisfying and rewarding. There were moments in the film that seemed a little too convenient (I won't spoil anything), and there are a few clichees throughout, but it's based on a true story, so I could tolerate these. Go see it, it won't take up too much of your time, and you'll be happy you watched it. Expand
  7. Feb 24, 2011
    Rockwell and Swank give it all in this unbelievable true story. In the hands of a different director this could easily have been a very strong Oscar contender.

1. Reviewed by: Steve Persall
    Oct 27, 2010
    Imagination is the key element that Conviction lacks.
  2. Reviewed by: Roger Moore
    Oct 27, 2010
    The magic in the film is in the actors. Only somebody who has stripped himself emotionally bare for the camera could achieve the level of performance that Goldwyn gets from every single SAG member on this set.
  3. Reviewed by: Joe Williams
    Oct 22, 2010
    The story is sustained by the stubborn love between the siblings and by the conviction of the two fine actors who portray them.