8.2

1. May 28, 2015
    A protagonista tem suas características bem aplicadas, mas os cenários foram parcialmente, o filme poderia ser melhor se incluis-se mais terror e se tivesse removido as partes infantis, mas é um belo terror para crianças.
  2. May 23, 2015
    Interesting premise,great voice acting and great graphics are probably the best things of Henry Selick's Coraline.The atmosphere is dark and the movie is entertaining.An enjoyable movie but he's easy to forget.
  3. Apr 6, 2015
    a great amazing movie with a good story and characters. this is one of my animated film of all time. I really think this movie is up there with all the Pixar film not cars 2.
  4. Feb 5, 2015
    i only have 1 problem with this movie, the mom is just to evil, in the book you could feel there at least was some love left in here, but in the movie is she just a **** ells is it a great movie, one of the best i seen, great art, atmosphere, and characters
  5. Feb 1, 2015
    Couldn't even get to sleep after watching this, it was fricking spooky. And it's meant for kids wtf? Don't they get creeped out? If I was in that world I'd commit suicide.
  6. Jan 13, 2015
    Up there with The Nightmare before Christmas and The Lion King as one of the greatest animated films of all time, it's only dud being Coraline's mom, who is actually kinda of a... You know what.
  7. Nov 8, 2014
    Good god this film is creepy. Forget actual horror films, I can safely tell you that this was scarier than any horror film I have seen since it's release. Aside from the near mental scarring I underwent, this film was fantastic, it contains some of the best animation I have ever seen, and one of the most compelling heart warming stories. Just don't watch it at night.
  8. Sep 29, 2014
    "Coraline" is one of my all-time favorites. I've seen the movie over fifty times because I would watch it nearly every day when I was younger, and I've read the novel five times. The animation is twisted yet breathtaking, and the 3D is innovative and absorbing. The plot is very original, intriguing, and even a little scary which makes for a thrilling experience.
  9. Sep 26, 2014
    This is an excellent movie. It deviates from the book slightly but it is at the core still true to the story being not only a faithful adaption of a book but a great film in its own right. The story is really good with some great morals and is well paced and put together. The characters for the most part are likeable and relatable. The stop motion animation is fantastic and there is someThis is an excellent movie. It deviates from the book slightly but it is at the core still true to the story being not only a faithful adaption of a book but a great film in its own right. The story is really good with some great morals and is well paced and put together. The characters for the most part are likeable and relatable. The stop motion animation is fantastic and there is some great directing in regards to angles and lighting. The story is a little too streamlined at times and certain elements are added to the film that I could’ve done without but they don’t take away from the experience too much as the film is still faithful to the book and a great adaptation. This film made me feel like a kid again and this one of those great kids movies that children should see (although they should read the book first). Kids aren’t the only who will enjoy this adults will enjoy at as well for being well written and well put together. This is the first film from Liakala Studios and for a first film its really impressive. Cannot wait to see what this studio does next because this is a great film that I’d highly recommend watching if you haven’t seen it already. Expand
  10. Sep 26, 2014
    this movie continues to scare me and gives me nightmares i still think about it. from the director of Tim Burton's Nightmare before Christmas and James and the giant peach). Basically Henry Selick directs the same exact motion in animation as Nightmare Before Christmas but i am not sure if he's a copy cat of Tim Burton or if he wants to do the same thing as he did in 1993. Lets Talkthis movie continues to scare me and gives me nightmares i still think about it. from the director of Tim Burton's Nightmare before Christmas and James and the giant peach). Basically Henry Selick directs the same exact motion in animation as Nightmare Before Christmas but i am not sure if he's a copy cat of Tim Burton or if he wants to do the same thing as he did in 1993. Lets Talk about the movie Dakota Fanning is Caroline which she has amazing performance as Caroline, including the rest of the cast. its a creepy eye button film that has Henry Selick's direction where it needs goes it has a complete imagination from the director. ( Henry Selick is the perfect animation director keep doing good films). Grade A+ Expand
  11. Aug 23, 2014
    Una película hermosa, con una animación increíble, una magnifica historia y trama, con una gran dirección, una película entretenida que te mantiene al tanto.
  12. Aug 15, 2014
    This stop motion animation creates an eerie but unimaginable visuals, sinisterly dark and extraordinary with a fantastic plot, by far one of my favorite children movies of all time.
  13. Aug 1, 2014
    I was convinced this was Tim Burton's work. The darkness yet playfulness of the film's plot had me, this was the purpose, thinking I had just seen paranormal activity. The choice to do it in stop motion was probably the only method that could have to make the plot fit into a film. The story is so original it's insightful. And the visuals of stop motion looked time consuming and amazing toI was convinced this was Tim Burton's work. The darkness yet playfulness of the film's plot had me, this was the purpose, thinking I had just seen paranormal activity. The choice to do it in stop motion was probably the only method that could have to make the plot fit into a film. The story is so original it's insightful. And the visuals of stop motion looked time consuming and amazing to look at. The film was both weird, funny, and terrifying. Expand
  14. Jul 15, 2014
    Coraline: 7 out of 10: Whom is this movie for is a question that dashed through my mind while watching it. It is too scary and adult for most children. The film is full of High Octane Nightmare Fuel and retired adult entertainment stars with naked elderly puppet breasts... come to think of it that is High Octane Nightmare Fuel as well.

As for the adults in the audience, I fear that in

As for the adults in the audience, I fear that in my case the film was too distant. I never felt emotionally attached to our plucky protagonist. In part because she is not a very nice girl (nor terribly plucky now I think about it) and partially because the film seemed to place her and her predicament at a distance.

On the other hand, I was floored by the sheer artistry of the film. Visually this is simply one of the most stunning films I have ever seen. Director Henry Selick who helmed such stop motion masterpieces as James and the Giant Peach and The Nightmare Before Christmas has taken his art to a new level. Words simply cannot describe the visual delights that lie inside Coraline.

While I found the story somewhat distancing I also recognize the depth of the tale. Coraline’s two universes mirror each other in a complicated web rather than a simply black and white as one might expect. The ocean here may not be that wide but it is amazingly deep. To bad the water was a little cold for this swimmer.
  15. May 24, 2014
    Having never read the novel, I just wanted to view this movie as soon as possible. Now I am happy that this movie carries a great message and also great animation. It is one of the best stop-animation I have seen and also a best dark fantasy animation. The originality of the plot and the beautiful animation may entertain the audience of every age group.
  16. Apr 3, 2014
    Breathtaking images, a hell of a story and a kind of a dark twist that just adds to the quality of this masterpiece. candy for the eye and a captivating story that puts you in the universe/fantasy of coraline. This again isn't just a movie, it's a masterwork in its genre. It had that same feeling as nightmare before christmas but didn't have all the songs (I'm not a fan of musicals,...),Breathtaking images, a hell of a story and a kind of a dark twist that just adds to the quality of this masterpiece. candy for the eye and a captivating story that puts you in the universe/fantasy of coraline. This again isn't just a movie, it's a masterwork in its genre. It had that same feeling as nightmare before christmas but didn't have all the songs (I'm not a fan of musicals,...), so for me it was that much better!
    A must watch for everyone (I say this a lot), but this is one of those animated pictures that even adults will fully enjoy!

Just my opinion
  17. Feb 17, 2014
    Coraline has imagination, a good look and premise, however, all this is useless when trying to connect with the kids seems unsuccessful.
    Over the history Coraline does not hold you, the movie walk, walk and walk, and when we realize, it does not show us anything mature, it's quite the opposite actually, Coraline is just a child who repents of something desired.
  18. Jan 26, 2014
    Wonderful movie based on great reimagining of Alice in Wonderland. Perfect animation accompanied by stunningly atmospheric soundtrack. Great characters. I was really impressed.
  19. Jan 14, 2014
    This movie excceded my expectation
    Is one of the few good animated films
    Mysterious, interesting and well made.
    I think this Is a simple but a good film.
  20. Dec 25, 2013
    "Coraline" was a horror movie for kids. Not a great mix in some movies like "Munchies" or "Critters", but this was a movie that didn't just have a great plot, script, imagination and production, but also inspired kids to be brave and to stand their ground, while being fun in the process.
  21. Nov 16, 2013
    Coraline is a spectacular stop action piece.
    The movie is perfectly paced, and well designed. The concept is good, and the animation is spellbinding. The result is a very entertaining animated tale with a Tim Burton twist.
  22. Jun 30, 2013
    Coraline is a masterpiece with insightful and clever stop-motion animation that will entertain you like never before. The 3D is absorbing and intelligent, Athena wise 3D use. The plot is original and riveting, with a pleasant and fascinating ending that you will never expect it coming. Coraline easily is imaginative, powerful and surprisingly, one of the greatest works done in a long time.
  23. Jun 26, 2013
    Many reviewers said that Coraline is boring and dull, as it turns out, Coraline is one of my favorite animated movies of all time, it is original and so meant for kids, it deals with a lot of mature themes (murder, child abuse) it is visually dazzling and the plot is enchanting, original and thrilling, this is one of the best animated movies ever made. I Love Coraline.
  24. May 17, 2013
    "Coraline" is described in one word, which is "Magical", but to be fair, it is more than that, wonderful and amazing, beautiful and new "original", it is creepy and scary but it is still my favorite movie of the year, my favorite animation, and one of my favorite movies of all time PERIOD.
  25. Jan 12, 2013
    Very good movie that combines animation with terror child.
  26. Zal
    Dec 14, 2012
    Coraline was one of my favorite books in middle school. When I heard that there was going to be a movie version, I was excited. And the movie did not disappoint.

The story has an Alice in Wonderland vibe since it involves a young girl ending up in topsy turvy word. It reminds me of Corpse Bride in the designs of the two worlds where the real world is grey and drab while the alternate world is colorful and fantastical. I love the design of the Other Mother's world. It's bright and colorful and everything is made to please Coraline. However, as Coraline starts to resist, everything becomes darker and the Other Mother looks less and less human. And I don't know about anyone else, but the climax scared me to death.

I also enjoyed the characters. Coraline is a believable kid. She's kooky and weird and has strange taste in fashion. She gets on her parents nerves but she just wants them to to pay attention to her. The parents are also believable. There are times when my parents are so wrapped up in their work that they don't have time for me. They aren't bad people. They're just unbelivably stressed. The Other Mother is freaky as hell. She really seems like the kind of mother we all wish we had. She's funny and loving and gives you whatever you want. Too bad she's doing it so that she can ensnare and kill you. The other characters are mostly hit or miss.

Fans of the book might not like the changes made, but I think there were for the better. The book lacked detailed descriptions about Coraline's appearance. I really liked the blue hair. It fits her character. I also like the addition of Wybie. While he wasn't a HUGE part of the plot, they made his character relevant. And thank god they didn't make him a love interest.

I can understand why people wouldn't like it as much. It does have a lot of slow moments, but I liked those scenes because they were used to show us what kind of person Coraline is and about her relationship with her parents and Wybie.

I'm not sure if it will appeal to Tim Burton fans. It doesn't strike the same balance between macabre, comedy, and whimsy, but it's not trying to be The Nightmare Before Christmas. The only things it has in common with it is stopmotion and director Henry Selick. If you like stopmotion, this is a good movie to see.

And if you liked this movie, watch Laika's other major stopmotion film, ParaNorman.
  27. Dec 3, 2012
    My favorite movie ever. I loved the story and its dark humor, the animation, the lightning was beautiful and most of all the voice acting (mostly from Teri Hatcher, she was the best!). I can't believe this movie would get bad reviews! :)
  28. Nov 12, 2012
    There's nothing like being led into another world.
  29. Sep 8, 2012
    Ok, so, my family and I decided to go to the movies, just to do something fun. We decide on Coraline... because it was, apparently, the only family movie available... so, we go in and sit down. Not even halfway through the movie, my parents ask me if I wanna leave. The only reason I said "no," was to see how much worse the movie could get. I was absolutely shocked. It was one of the worst,Ok, so, my family and I decided to go to the movies, just to do something fun. We decide on Coraline... because it was, apparently, the only family movie available... so, we go in and sit down. Not even halfway through the movie, my parents ask me if I wanna leave. The only reason I said "no," was to see how much worse the movie could get. I was absolutely shocked. It was one of the worst, if not, the worst movie I have ever seen! I don't get all the critics making a big deal over this saying,"Great movie! Blah Blah Blah." Neither my Dad, Mom, or my sister enjoyed it. What a disappointment! It was too weird, the story made no sense. The only thing decent, was the 3D, otherwise, it sucks. 2/10 from me. Expand
  30. May 24, 2012
    I can understand the overall story very easily so this is really perfect for children aged 4-6. I love the creativity and the imagination of the whole movie. The graphics are great, so visually it has impact to people watching it. We can also learn something from this movie which I can relate to. An excellent movie for all ages....
  31. May 4, 2012
    I saw this movie with the family, and there wasn't a single one of us who enjoyed it. Very disappointing given the hype about it. The story was boring, and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, regardless of age.
  32. Feb 15, 2012
    A masterpiece i have watched this movie at least 25 times the originality is amazing. They changed things from the book for the better things actually seem to come together better in the movie then the book which never happens. The claymation and voice acting are done amazingly and you can relate to the main character thoughout the whole movie all and all this is what movies should be likeA masterpiece i have watched this movie at least 25 times the originality is amazing. They changed things from the book for the better things actually seem to come together better in the movie then the book which never happens. The claymation and voice acting are done amazingly and you can relate to the main character thoughout the whole movie all and all this is what movies should be like in the future A+++ Expand
  33. Dec 18, 2011
    Henry Selick takes Neil Gaiman's imaginative story and makes wonders with it with thrills, dark humor, great stop motion animation, and a cool original score make Coraline one of the best animated films ever made in my opinion. I give this movie 93%.
  34. Oct 28, 2011
    "Coraline" is very basic in terms of story structure or voice acting. But it's the originality that pushes this visually magnificent movie into the stage of performances. Overall a well-made animation that audiences of every age will definitely enjoy.
  35. May 13, 2011
    It's surprisingly dark to be called a family film but it seems to go well but is could be better than it actually is that said it was one of my favourites from 2009.
  36. Nov 2, 2010
    A very very beautiful work of art in the form of a movie. That is the best way I can describe it. This movie is dark and at the same time offers the viewer the chance to experience a wide variety of emotions as the movie progresses. I think the story and the pacing are well done and the voice actors did a fantastic job matching the animated characters. This movie is a must buy for fans ofA very very beautiful work of art in the form of a movie. That is the best way I can describe it. This movie is dark and at the same time offers the viewer the chance to experience a wide variety of emotions as the movie progresses. I think the story and the pacing are well done and the voice actors did a fantastic job matching the animated characters. This movie is a must buy for fans of this sub genre of animated movies. Expand
  37. Oct 29, 2010
    this movie is by far an excellent stop-motion movie for kids and their families with the help of the supporting acting, nice visuals, and very amazing characters.
  38. Aug 26, 2010
    I thought Coraline was going to have very scary moments - but I was wrong. Coraline is a great movie, thrilling, exciting, everything! You have to see it. PG is reccomended, Coraline may create nightmares on most sensitive (New York Post, thanks) children. Coraline, a great movie deserves a great review.
  39. Aug 13, 2010
    Coraline really provides an interesting story with some very nice visuals! It is very engaging and it definitely involves the viewer to figure out what is happening out. Visually, there are some beautiful scenes, and besides the unusual animation style it is still captivating, but nowhere nearly as beautiful as some new animated films, such as "Up" or "Wall-E". Nevertheless, a very niceCoraline really provides an interesting story with some very nice visuals! It is very engaging and it definitely involves the viewer to figure out what is happening out. Visually, there are some beautiful scenes, and besides the unusual animation style it is still captivating, but nowhere nearly as beautiful as some new animated films, such as "Up" or "Wall-E". Nevertheless, a very nice animated film. Expand
  40. MichaelaC.
    Jan 3, 2010
    The people that said the movie was boring and dull are really saying that they don't want to watch something different and new but just want to stay in their comfort zone of totally predictable movies at least its a fresh change from all those other movies.
  41. JamB.
    Nov 16, 2009
    Some extremely harsh comments here! Visually this is utterly stunning - by far the richest images of any kids film so far, surely? We all enjoyed the colourful smoothness of CGI stuff like Finding Nemo and Monsters Inc, but the lower-tech (some of it has to have done on computer I'm sure) skills on display give a real warmth and charm. Not exactly an original story, what with magic Some extremely harsh comments here! Visually this is utterly stunning - by far the richest images of any kids film so far, surely? We all enjoyed the colourful smoothness of CGI stuff like Finding Nemo and Monsters Inc, but the lower-tech (some of it has to have done on computer I'm sure) skills on display give a real warmth and charm. Not exactly an original story, what with magic doors, evil witches and talking cats, so a mark off for that. Provides enough unsettling imagery to hold the attention without resorting to pointless ugliness in order to shock. Also needs to be commended for it's literary script, clever dialogue and intelligent central theme of familial imperfection - any kids film with a genuine philosophical depth has to be recommended. Bit of a drawn out ending and treads a bit of a fimiliar path overall. My son is 4 and a) didn't find it scary b) sat through it all and said he liked it, although he was getting a bit fidgety towards the end. Expand
  42. TreyD
    Nov 14, 2009
    Somebody asked why the high rating for this incredibly boring and just plain nasty movie, Coraline. Answer... because Neil Gaiman is a scientologist and they have rooms full of sea org slaves writing positive reviews. Beware, Coraline is a depressing misery.
  43. BenG
    Oct 3, 2009
    Gaiman is truly the most over-rated writer who should be on the D-List for DULL. Coraline was a mediocre book and a crappy, and painfully boring movie. Like any mediocre artist, Gaiman is now going for notoriety by hooking up with the untalented Palmer who in turn strips her clothes off at the slightest provocation. I heard they were Scientologists, which would explain an awful lot since Gaiman is truly the most over-rated writer who should be on the D-List for DULL. Coraline was a mediocre book and a crappy, and painfully boring movie. Like any mediocre artist, Gaiman is now going for notoriety by hooking up with the untalented Palmer who in turn strips her clothes off at the slightest provocation. I heard they were Scientologists, which would explain an awful lot since Scientologists act like loons out in public. Expand
  44. ThaliaT
    Sep 10, 2009
    This is a coming of age movie. It is original in that it uses puppets not unlike Pinocchio to illustrate what one's real values should be. Not always getting what you want, but living with real life, flawed parents who truly love one. There may be scary bits for children below a 6 or 7, but most other kids and grownups should be able to handle the imagery just fine.
  45. JohnR
    Sep 9, 2009
    Absolutely stunning. An original plot with a heroic little girl. I wouldn't recommend it for very young children, but age 9 and over should be fine. Adults will love it too.
  46. EliasC
    Sep 2, 2009
    Neil Gaiman has always been an acquired taste. His visions of twisted reality in all of his works has always been more appealing to me as in book form rather than as a visual entertainment. Coraline is no exception. His foray into children's books with the publication of Coraline was a surprise to many but his quirky story was well written and appealing on paper. On film however, it Neil Gaiman has always been an acquired taste. His visions of twisted reality in all of his works has always been more appealing to me as in book form rather than as a visual entertainment. Coraline is no exception. His foray into children's books with the publication of Coraline was a surprise to many but his quirky story was well written and appealing on paper. On film however, it just seems...well, strange. Not exactly a kid's movie and not exactly a film for adult's either. The skill it took to animate using stop action movement should be appreciated. Some stop motion techniques exhibited in this film were simply astonishing. But technique alone does not make a good film. A great film for film students does not make a great film for the average viewer. Consider the twisted universe of the film's reality and the even more twisted vision of the film's alternate reality. Look at the scenes with the almost nude acrobatic sisters. Listen to the awful vocal music, This is not a film for children. Let your kids read the book instead and let them use their own imagination to fill in the blanks. And a final note: The 3D theatrical version must have been something to watch. DO not fall for the DVD's 3D version. It is simply bad. Using red and green cardboard glasses, the film is colorless, dark, eye-aching awfulness. The producers of the DVD's 3D packaging should be ashamed. Expand
  47. MikeH.
    Aug 29, 2009
    Interesting that it appears that all those giving this movie a bad score didn't watch the whole thing but just 'assumed' it was going to be bad. what a bunch of idiots. if you're stupid enough to walk out of a movie without watching it all don't waste space with your comments. i, also, thought this movie was going to be bad, and i didn't like it even up till Interesting that it appears that all those giving this movie a bad score didn't watch the whole thing but just 'assumed' it was going to be bad. what a bunch of idiots. if you're stupid enough to walk out of a movie without watching it all don't waste space with your comments. i, also, thought this movie was going to be bad, and i didn't like it even up till about 20 minutes through it, but it improved... a lot! at the end i was actually very pleased with the way it turned out. i almost didn't watch Coraline because the concept of the movie seemed so stupid, but I'm very glad i did go out and see it. 10/10 Collapse
  48. JethroA.
    Aug 17, 2009
    Boring boring boring. Very annoying main character with very very annoying voice acting. Grated on my nerves for 10 minutes til I turned it off. I didn't see it all, but I couldn't stand another second.
  49. DylanD.
    Aug 16, 2009
    Overrated tripe.
  50. SamG
    Aug 7, 2009
    One star for the animation, interesting but gross. The story was absolute crap. Coraline was annoying, the parents were miserable, I walked out when they started the naked old lady dancing. Gaiman just did a mutilation porn book with his transvestite "girlfriend" Amanda Palmer, so it figures he would create trash like this.
  51. wenzdaej
    Jul 27, 2009
    It was ok could have been better and it definitely was a kids movie kids love to be scared and this wasn't even that scary since it was animated and kids always know the difference better than adults i remember being a kid and i LOVED scary movies all kids do and did anybody ever read any fairy tales from grimm to o Henry what about te little match girl she froze to death was that It was ok could have been better and it definitely was a kids movie kids love to be scared and this wasn't even that scary since it was animated and kids always know the difference better than adults i remember being a kid and i LOVED scary movies all kids do and did anybody ever read any fairy tales from grimm to o Henry what about te little match girl she froze to death was that for kids?? Cinderella if any1 ever bothered to actually read it the sisters die a gruesome death, so all u wawawa a its not for kids morons ' yours are the kids who get beat up and have their heads flushed down the toilet. Expand
  52. sVc.
    Jul 26, 2009
    This movie went far beyond my expectations. Even though I am a huge fan of "The Nightmare Before Christmas" I guess I still wasn't expecting this to be that interesting; and I was way off base. It is far creepeir than I assumed and the animation is supberb. Sellick and Burton should keep making movies together so that Hollywood will always have something original to give its audience.
  53. wenesdae*
    Jul 24, 2009
    it was good if it were on tv otherwise the 4 applies , it couild have been alot better and entertaining for kids and adults, i strongly disagree that it isnt a kids movie , im 44 but i remember being a kid quite well, and i LOVED horror movies and scary things and yes even books, all kids do.
  54. DanK
    Jul 22, 2009
    Can someone please tell me why the Coraline dvd uses the old, crappy red and blue 3D glasses that make your head hurt instead of the amazing, mind-blowing technology that made the theater 3D experience so incredibly fun? I loved this movie, and I am so frustrated that I will never be able to share the movie experience that I had in the theater with anyone because the studio execs Can someone please tell me why the Coraline dvd uses the old, crappy red and blue 3D glasses that make your head hurt instead of the amazing, mind-blowing technology that made the theater 3D experience so incredibly fun? I loved this movie, and I am so frustrated that I will never be able to share the movie experience that I had in the theater with anyone because the studio execs wouldn't spend the extra two bucks on more expensive glasses!! Please help me understand this!! Expand
  55. JayH
    Jul 20, 2009
    Wildly imaginative, brilliantly animated and a fascinating story. It's certainly different. It has a great pace, very well edited. The direction is marvelous. It's a magical movie that is highly entertaining.
  56. M.J.P
    Jul 7, 2009
    Another creative short-stop animation with surprisingly good detail, but lacking a much needed child-friendly approach, seeing as how this film was a children's movie. I don't think its very appropriate for a large elderly woman to be jumping up and down in a thong and nipple pasties.
  57. Enzop.
    Jun 23, 2009
    Coraline is a very good movie but don't see it in 3-D its not worth the extra cash. Also at parts in the movie it started to get boring so I started to drift away from the big screen. Other then that Coraline was good.
  58. JayC
    Jun 21, 2009
    This is one of the best movies i have seen in a very long time. Unlike all the happy go lucky movies of the our times its nice to see something a little darker, more brothers grim like. Yes its scary but it holds a lesson in it, also the tag line for the movie, be careful what you wish for.
  59. RajD
    Jun 14, 2009
    Very good. the animation is excellent. also, the story is creepy and very well done.
  60. DavidM
    Jun 14, 2009
    This is the best movie I have seen since "The Nightmare Before Christmas" and it's even better than that.
  61. MarkM
    May 29, 2009
    Awesome! The most detailed stop motion film ever. Fun, exciting, and creepy.
  62. amelindas
    May 16, 2009
    At first I felt like a child again, discovering how "wierd" evil was rather than scary or threatening. It than dove right in to the insanity and came out squeaky sane on the other side. The resiliency of a child's mind is astonishing and the movie brought that all back.
  63. WilliamB.
    May 15, 2009
    One of a very few times where I liked the movie better than the book.
  64. portlihop
    May 10, 2009
    Visually stunning(3d Had great storyline bones but not enough meat to get stuck into. My 10yr old described story line as "meh" +points for scaring the shit out of my 6 year old.
  65. WilliamS.
    May 9, 2009
    Some have called this movie Burtonesque, but I actually found his lack of association with the movie a strong point. The movie knows how to contrast the fantastical and the drab in its visual department and the story is so universal that it reaches adults and kids with an equally immerse impact. I felt like this movie knew how to get back to the old magical realism aspect that was Some have called this movie Burtonesque, but I actually found his lack of association with the movie a strong point. The movie knows how to contrast the fantastical and the drab in its visual department and the story is so universal that it reaches adults and kids with an equally immerse impact. I felt like this movie knew how to get back to the old magical realism aspect that was prevalent in The Nightmare Before Christmas. It was thoroughly enjoyable the entire way through. Expand
  66. EmmanuelT
    May 4, 2009
    AMAZING!!!!!!! Scary even for the adults. The animation was breath taking and the horror was truly for every age. Must see and i need to see it again!!!
  67. RachelS.
    Apr 25, 2009
    Good movie even though it is not for kids.
  68. JessicaF.
    Apr 17, 2009
    Long ago, I read the original book Coraline and it freaked me out then. This film didn't seem to do the book justice. The addition of the character, "Wybie", altered the story just enough to make me dislike it. They made it too "fluffy".
  69. JesseM.
    Apr 14, 2009
    This was the best movie of the year thus far. I don't know why I am so in love with it. It was so creative and just very well done. It's quite amazing. Can't wait for it on Blu-ray.
  70. CoralineR
    Apr 7, 2009
    I wish I could give it a lower score, because this was the worst movie I have seen in many years. Pathetic story, terrible animation, no pace, I fought to stay awake, and later regretted doing so.
  71. StevenS
    Mar 28, 2009
    Dear Margaret S, I'm saddened by your review - and moreso by your particular lack of imagination. Or maybe you're just afraid of the dark. Either way, if you would've read the reviews earlier you may have concluded that it wasn't a family film, had several subtle intellectual undertones (anyone else catch all those sly winks to Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind?) Dear Margaret S, I'm saddened by your review - and moreso by your particular lack of imagination. Or maybe you're just afraid of the dark. Either way, if you would've read the reviews earlier you may have concluded that it wasn't a family film, had several subtle intellectual undertones (anyone else catch all those sly winks to Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind?) and dark themes throughout. This has easily been one of the most inventive, innovative and astounding films I've recently witnessed. It was an incredibly successful combination of all the best components of the HP franchise, El Laberinto del Fauno, and (as previously mentioned) EsotSM. Riveting. A little slow paced at times perhaps but always filled with a sense of either dread and gloom or wonder - and at it's best moments, all 3. The best film to come out of 09 so far. Expand
  72. KevinE
    Mar 25, 2009
    Margaret S - I actually fall directly into the categories you mention and while I mostly enjoyed the movie I felt the second half lacked much sense of wonder that other animated movies might have. As well, most of the lesser characters were uninteresting. I
  73. JeffC
    Mar 25, 2009
    Very amazing work with the stop-action, but the film is very overrated. The story was mediocre and drawn out too much.
  74. MikeM
    Mar 21, 2009
    Visually arresting, but the story was frankly, uninteresting. The characters are initially very grating, and never become endearing during the course of the film. The animation is awesome and was very fun to watch in 3D on a big screen, but by the end I didn't really care what happened to the characters, which probably isn't a good sign.
  75. DougM
    Mar 21, 2009
    To the nice lady in the user reviews who can somehow tell that "the people that really enjoyed this film were young adults who possibly enjoy video games and have no children", my 70-year-old mother absolutely adored this movie (and no, she doesn't enjoy video games). Didn't want any other middle-aged people to miss out because of her review.
  76. AndrewG
    Mar 16, 2009
    Much better than I expected. The first half of the movie was especially good in my opinion - when there's still a bit of mystery to the creepiness. The animation has a dreamy aesthetic that works really well. If you (or your kids) like Nightmare Before Christmas, then you (they) will probably like this too.
  77. MargaretS.
    Mar 9, 2009
    In reading most of these comments, I noticed that the people that really enjoyed this film were young adults who possibly enjoy video games and have no children. Maybe that's who this movie is geared for perhaps. As a middle aged adult who has seen my fair share of adult movies as well as many kid movies, I didn't find this movie particularly enjoyable for the following reasons: In reading most of these comments, I noticed that the people that really enjoyed this film were young adults who possibly enjoy video games and have no children. Maybe that's who this movie is geared for perhaps. As a middle aged adult who has seen my fair share of adult movies as well as many kid movies, I didn't find this movie particularly enjoyable for the following reasons: poor characterization and poor story flow. If it weren't for the superior 3D animation holding our attention, my family and I would have left the theatre within 10 minutes and asked for out money back. Expand
  78. PaulD.
    Mar 5, 2009
    Excellent script and stellar animation makes this a winner. I saw it without 3-D, but it was still very impressive. Imaginative and beautiful animation, but suspense and menace keep it from being syrupy. Kept my interest and attention till the end.
  79. ShannonW.
    Mar 4, 2009
    I really can't wait til this movie comes out on blu-ray. It was absolutely beautiful and stunning, and I left the theater in complete awe. The story was wonderful and I'd now like to read the book. The producers of this movie made a real treasure and I honestly can't wait til I can see it again. And for all the parents out there that brought their kids...didn't you I really can't wait til this movie comes out on blu-ray. It was absolutely beautiful and stunning, and I left the theater in complete awe. The story was wonderful and I'd now like to read the book. The producers of this movie made a real treasure and I honestly can't wait til I can see it again. And for all the parents out there that brought their kids...didn't you read the rating? It's PG because of the "thematic elements, SCARY IMAGES, some language and suggestive humor." Responsible parenting and movie selection should be exercised here. Expand
  80. JulianM.
    Mar 3, 2009
    It was horrible. I couldn't get into it at all... it made no sense. Avoid it, unless you're under 5. The animation is pretty choppy, even with 3D. I can't see how it got all these great reviews.
  81. ToddF.
    Mar 3, 2009
    Very good movie, though I would think the kids would find it a bit too creepy or scary. But I dont have kids, so I dont care. The theater didnt have 3d, so that was a bit of a bummer, but I loved the visual effects and some of the characters were great, especially the lady with the pasties.
  82. Liz
    Mar 1, 2009
    I would actually give it 8.5, but I'm a bit jaded. Neil Gaiman is fantastic, and Coraline is the new Grimm's fairy tale. the book was lovely and disturbing, the movie...well, just listening to kids walking out of the theatre made it clear they'd have their lights on tonight. i can't wait for Sandman.
  83. NathanR.
    Mar 1, 2009
    I really wanted to like this movie, especially after viewing the metacritic score. This was the first 3D movie I felt was worth seeing. And while it is not a terrible movie, it certainly does not deserve a 79 score. Others have mentioned it, but Dakota Fanning is NOT a good voice actress. The visuals were hit and miss. When Coraline first visits her "other family" is close to stunning and I really wanted to like this movie, especially after viewing the metacritic score. This was the first 3D movie I felt was worth seeing. And while it is not a terrible movie, it certainly does not deserve a 79 score. Others have mentioned it, but Dakota Fanning is NOT a good voice actress. The visuals were hit and miss. When Coraline first visits her "other family" is close to stunning and kept my attention. Unfortunately from that point on I felt like taking a nap. The scene with the near-nude granny was not at all necessary, and not funny. That's another thing this movie lacked: humor. All in all, this is not the worst movie I've ever seen. Far from the best. Far, FAR from the best. Expand
  84. Andrea
    Feb 28, 2009
    Amazing movie. The people who give it a "0" simply have no appreciation for beauty/artistry.
  85. DavidM.
    Feb 28, 2009
    A true labour of love, which bore gorgeous fruit, visually and stylistically. Not likely to appeal to a crowd looking for singing fish and dancing zebras. Why anyone would expect this to be a Disneyesque, inane sunshine and lolipops venture for a SMALL child and then complain after the fact is a bit of a mystery. It is INTENDED to be dark and yes, disturbing. The artistry and execution A true labour of love, which bore gorgeous fruit, visually and stylistically. Not likely to appeal to a crowd looking for singing fish and dancing zebras. Why anyone would expect this to be a Disneyesque, inane sunshine and lolipops venture for a SMALL child and then complain after the fact is a bit of a mystery. It is INTENDED to be dark and yes, disturbing. The artistry and execution left me at a loss for words after viewing, but perhaps that is because I am just a "moran" (sorry Bill C) Expand
  86. Tharsoe
    Feb 28, 2009
    very enjoyable. it's not a kiddy film but my kid sister enjoyed it anyway. one of the best of 2009 so far.
  87. ChrisV.
    Feb 28, 2009
    This movie is just great, i loved it from head to toes... it has a great message too.. the animation its cool, even tough i tought that the characters where gonna be a little less creepy, haha, and my little brother was cryingm but it was great to enjoy this movie..
  88. AlenS
    Feb 27, 2009
    What a magical experience, not a movie at all, but a brilliant adventure. Very creepy... Truly creepy and unsettling... If the movie is too scary for your kids, then don't watch the whole thing! Just because it is spooky doesn't equate it with being bad. The rich visuals were right on. Way better than Nightmare.
  89. SkyW.
    Feb 26, 2009
    This was a really good movie. i went to see it with a friend in 3-D and to be honest it was so SCARY! none of my other friends believe us b/c it is animated bu this was one of the creepiest movies i have ever seen!
  90. DanielW
    Feb 26, 2009
    Well, "Bill C." must have seen this in a theater FULL of "idiots and morans" [sic]. My wife and I enjoyed it, as did the small crowd at the weekday matinee we attended. Can't speak for the small children, however, but I didn't hear any of them screaming or crying. I'm a little tired of everyone complaining that this was too scary or creepy for kids. Why does every animated Well, "Bill C." must have seen this in a theater FULL of "idiots and morans" [sic]. My wife and I enjoyed it, as did the small crowd at the weekday matinee we attended. Can't speak for the small children, however, but I didn't hear any of them screaming or crying. I'm a little tired of everyone complaining that this was too scary or creepy for kids. Why does every animated movie have to be suitable for small children? Anyway, good story, great animation and design, and really great 3D. It is a little slow, and Dakota Fanning is no great voice talent. There we many moments where the characters felt stiff, but I felt like that was pretty fitting with the overall dreamlike quality of the movie. I would highly recommend seeing this in 3D in the theater while you still can, but you probably want to leave your toddler with a babysitter. Expand
  91. SeanS.
    Feb 24, 2009
    I agree with some of the recent negative reviews. I posted a negative review a week ago and it was erased. Are any of these 10 reviews for real? My wife and I thought it was really boring and long. My friends who saw this movie with their kids also said their kids wanted to leave the theater because it was boring and made no sense. The animation was choppy and overall story line was I agree with some of the recent negative reviews. I posted a negative review a week ago and it was erased. Are any of these 10 reviews for real? My wife and I thought it was really boring and long. My friends who saw this movie with their kids also said their kids wanted to leave the theater because it was boring and made no sense. The animation was choppy and overall story line was creepy and way too long. Who is behind all these positive reviews? Expand
  92. BillC.
    Feb 21, 2009
    Pure garbage in 3D. A kids Movie? Maybe for idiots and morans. A story poorly told and not enjoyed by anyone in the theater we were in. No Joke. What's a kids movie doing with a busty animated dancing lady with pasties all about?? Why the high rating on meta critic??? This thing was just awful. Again , I can say No One in the Theater seemed to like it.
  93. DanielM.
    Feb 21, 2009
    This movie may have been weird, spooky and meant to be played in October. Also, the way that everything went, ( how thematic it was and how scary it was, and to mention one clip of the movie was suggestive enough that it was meant for teenagers instead of children. ) But other than what I just said this was the best movie that I saw that was not meant for toddlers, or adults. The story This movie may have been weird, spooky and meant to be played in October. Also, the way that everything went, ( how thematic it was and how scary it was, and to mention one clip of the movie was suggestive enough that it was meant for teenagers instead of children. ) But other than what I just said this was the best movie that I saw that was not meant for toddlers, or adults. The story was surprisingly awesome in an adventurous way, and how they set up the movie was classic. Even better, the movie was definitely appropriately timed, when the movie was ending, I was getting a little antsy. This movie is a must see to any teenager out there. Expand
  94. HeidiE.
    Feb 21, 2009
    This movie was horrible. I have never written a review about a movie good or bad before, but this was so bad I felt compelled to write. It was not a movie for kids. It was way to scary and the story line for adults and kids was long, drawn out and boring.
  95. WhoKnew
    Feb 18, 2009
    Dakota Fanning is SOOOOO ANNNOOOOOYYYING!!! Her acting range goes from monotonous to barking, can't she nuance her words without always screaming them??? But other than that, the movie was pretty good--the animation is flawlessly inspired and subtle effects quite eye popping.
  96. TheDude
    Feb 17, 2009
    Whoa! This movie wasn't what I was expecting. I purposefully don't read much of reviews because they always give away too much, but I'm a junky for 3D movies and I saw the high marks for this one so I couldn't wait. The thing was, I was expecting it to be a kids' movie, and it wasn't that at all. It was waaaay too creepy, edgy, scary, strange, and freaky for Whoa! This movie wasn't what I was expecting. I purposefully don't read much of reviews because they always give away too much, but I'm a junky for 3D movies and I saw the high marks for this one so I couldn't wait. The thing was, I was expecting it to be a kids' movie, and it wasn't that at all. It was waaaay too creepy, edgy, scary, strange, and freaky for children, I felt. It bore a lot in common with Pan's Labrynth and The Orphanage, and was similar in tone to those. There was one spectacular scene visually in a garden at night, but mostly I just felt really creeped out and disturbed. In general, I usually disagree with the high marks that clay-mation films get, not because I don't like claymation, but because I usually find them to be too slow, or them to be a little too dark and strange, or their stories to just not be as strong as I would hope, and yet they always seem to get rave reviews from the critics regardless. This film seemed derivative of the two other movies I mentioned, and was very creepy and weird, so if you liked those films you might really enjoy this, but it's not really my thing, and definitely don't go in expecting a fun, light rompy kids movie, and do realize that if you take small children there will likely be uncomfortable moments, and quite possibly nightmares from it(I think I might have some nightmares from it, and I'm a grown man!). Expand
  97. JulianM
    Feb 15, 2009
    I just couldn't get into it. Sure, the animation and 3D were great, but the story lacked... something. Maybe the characters... When Coraline entered the new world with all sorts of strange things, she barely seemed surprised. I don't know, maybe it's just me but I felt bored the whole movie. Whenever there was a hint of foreshadowing, I just didn't care what was going I just couldn't get into it. Sure, the animation and 3D were great, but the story lacked... something. Maybe the characters... When Coraline entered the new world with all sorts of strange things, she barely seemed surprised. I don't know, maybe it's just me but I felt bored the whole movie. Whenever there was a hint of foreshadowing, I just didn't care what was going to happen. Bottom Line : Only watch it if you are REALLY REALLY into animated/Tim Burton movies. Expand
  98. DocSteven
    Feb 14, 2009
    I was really looking forward to taking two of my nieces, ages 13 and 9, to a highly rated movie, particularly an animated film. Well, very disappointed. The 9 year old shrugged her shoulders when I asked her afterwards what she thought. She further elaborated that it was "just okay." I didn't find it very engaging at all. It was too long and there were some scenes that seemed very I was really looking forward to taking two of my nieces, ages 13 and 9, to a highly rated movie, particularly an animated film. Well, very disappointed. The 9 year old shrugged her shoulders when I asked her afterwards what she thought. She further elaborated that it was "just okay." I didn't find it very engaging at all. It was too long and there were some scenes that seemed very unnecessary to the story line. At least what I could find of the story line. Yes, imaginative and very creative, but it lacked an emotional pull. Maybe I'm just not smart enough like some of the other critic's reviews, or maybe I'm like the child who says out loud, "the emperor has no clothes!" in spite of what everyone forces themselves to believe. Perhaps I expected this movie to leave me with a sense of wonder, like other fairy tales and animated films have done, but no such luck. Oh, well. It was nice to spend the time with my nieces! Expand
  99. ChadS.
    Feb 12, 2009
    The moment the girl and the cat reach a void in their walking, "Coraline" loses all pretenses of being a children's movie. An irony, to be sure, since the unrealized world yet to be determined by the Other Mother(Teri Hatcher), pays sly homage to a classic children's story. Published in 1955, Crockett Johnson's "Harold and the Purple Crayon" told the story of a little boy The moment the girl and the cat reach a void in their walking, "Coraline" loses all pretenses of being a children's movie. An irony, to be sure, since the unrealized world yet to be determined by the Other Mother(Teri Hatcher), pays sly homage to a classic children's story. Published in 1955, Crockett Johnson's "Harold and the Purple Crayon" told the story of a little boy who creates a world of his own making. When Coraline(Dakota Fanning) and the cat are thrown into stark relief against a white background, the mis-en-scene self-consciously turns into an empty canvas. The cat tells the girl that her faux mom created only what she needed, which echoes the genesis behind Harold's imagination; he too drew as a means to an end. Harold was an artist, and all artists are solitary by nature. Harold was no exception. "Coraline" suggests the emotional toll that creativity has on the aesthetically-minded. Some turn into tortured artists, just like the Other Mother. She's lonely. To what extent, this loneliness, can be measured by the elaborate, but demented flora she creates in her garden, and the wholesome meals she prepares for Coraline and her Other Father(John Hodgeman). When she gives Coraline the box containing her button eyes, it's a test of the little girl's love. Instead of living a real life with Coraline, the other mother would rather remains in her artistic realm transform the corporeal girl into a representational one. As aforementioned, this is no mere children's film. Not only does "Coraline" suggest "Harold and the Purple Crayon" gone dystopian, it also borrows heavily from a "Twilight Zone" episode entitled "It's a Good Life". Expand
  100. NeilL.
    Feb 12, 2009
    The user Kirsten J wrote: "The story was incredibly true to Mr. Gaiman's book. One or two differences obviously existed, but overall, I don't think I've ever seen a more accurate book adaptation." Exactly what is it you're smoking, Kirsten? I enjoyed this movie, but it is NOTHING like the book, and certainly not the "most accurate adaptation" either, not by a hundred The user Kirsten J wrote: "The story was incredibly true to Mr. Gaiman's book. One or two differences obviously existed, but overall, I don't think I've ever seen a more accurate book adaptation." Exactly what is it you're smoking, Kirsten? I enjoyed this movie, but it is NOTHING like the book, and certainly not the "most accurate adaptation" either, not by a hundred miles. The book was sheer genius in its brevity. The movie takes on its own life, which is enjoyable, yes, but not the life Neil Gaiman gave it. Expand

This is perhaps the most effective 3-D movie I have ever seen, with a sophisticated, involving story that will appeal to many adults. The only reservation I have is with the PG rating, which seems too lenient for a story that may give very young children - particularly if they are sensitive - nightmares.
    The combination of 3-D photography and puppet-animation - centered on actual figures designed by hand and manipulated frame by frame - creates a world that's dense, active and fluid: a sensory Jacuzzi.
  3. Reviewed by: Jenni Miller
    The story is creepy fun and 100-percent different than whatever other crap is flooding the February market.