Focus Features | Release Date: February 6, 2009
8.3
Universal acclaim based on 604 Ratings
WATCH NOW
EpicLadySpongeJan 20, 2016
If you've seen The Nightmare Before Christmas, stay tuned for this fabulous movie coming out in your way so you can see how 'spooky' this film is. I wouldn't say it's spooky, but it still works as a term anyways.
grandpajoe6191Oct 28, 2011
"Coraline" is very basic in terms of story structure or voice acting. But it's the originality that pushes this visually magnificent movie into the stage of performances. Overall a well-made animation that audiences of every age will"Coraline" is very basic in terms of story structure or voice acting. But it's the originality that pushes this visually magnificent movie into the stage of performances. Overall a well-made animation that audiences of every age will definitely enjoy. Expand
lukechristianscSep 26, 2014
this movie continues to scare me and gives me nightmares i still think about it. from the director of Tim Burton's Nightmare before Christmas and James and the giant peach). Basically Henry Selick directs the same exact motion in animationthis movie continues to scare me and gives me nightmares i still think about it. from the director of Tim Burton's Nightmare before Christmas and James and the giant peach). Basically Henry Selick directs the same exact motion in animation as Nightmare Before Christmas but i am not sure if he's a copy cat of Tim Burton or if he wants to do the same thing as he did in 1993. Lets Talk about the movie Dakota Fanning is Caroline which she has amazing performance as Caroline, including the rest of the cast. its a creepy eye button film that has Henry Selick's direction where it needs goes it has a complete imagination from the director. ( Henry Selick is the perfect animation director keep doing good films). Grade A+ Expand
Meth-dudeMay 23, 2015
Interesting premise,great voice acting and great graphics are probably the best things of Henry Selick's Coraline.The atmosphere is dark and the movie is entertaining.An enjoyable movie but he's easy to forget.
JacobSep 26, 2014
This is an excellent movie. It deviates from the book slightly but it is at the core still true to the story being not only a faithful adaption of a book but a great film in its own right. The story is really good with some great morals andThis is an excellent movie. It deviates from the book slightly but it is at the core still true to the story being not only a faithful adaption of a book but a great film in its own right. The story is really good with some great morals and is well paced and put together. The characters for the most part are likeable and relatable. The stop motion animation is fantastic and there is some great directing in regards to angles and lighting. The story is a little too streamlined at times and certain elements are added to the film that I could’ve done without but they don’t take away from the experience too much as the film is still faithful to the book and a great adaptation. This film made me feel like a kid again and this one of those great kids movies that children should see (although they should read the book first). Kids aren’t the only who will enjoy this adults will enjoy at as well for being well written and well put together. This is the first film from Liakala Studios and for a first film its really impressive. Cannot wait to see what this studio does next because this is a great film that I’d highly recommend watching if you haven’t seen it already. Expand
FranzHcriticAug 1, 2014
I was convinced this was Tim Burton's work. The darkness yet playfulness of the film's plot had me, this was the purpose, thinking I had just seen paranormal activity. The choice to do it in stop motion was probably the only method that couldI was convinced this was Tim Burton's work. The darkness yet playfulness of the film's plot had me, this was the purpose, thinking I had just seen paranormal activity. The choice to do it in stop motion was probably the only method that could have to make the plot fit into a film. The story is so original it's insightful. And the visuals of stop motion looked time consuming and amazing to look at. The film was both weird, funny, and terrifying. Expand
MovieLonely94Oct 29, 2010
this movie is by far an excellent stop-motion movie for kids and their families with the help of the supporting acting, nice visuals, and very amazing characters.
heyitsmegrif4Dec 18, 2011
Henry Selick takes Neil Gaiman's imaginative story and makes wonders with it with thrills, dark humor, great stop motion animation, and a cool original score make Coraline one of the best animated films ever made in my opinion. I give this movie 93%.
horcrux2007Sep 29, 2014
"Coraline" is one of my all-time favorites. I've seen the movie over fifty times because I would watch it nearly every day when I was younger, and I've read the novel five times. The animation is twisted yet breathtaking, and the 3D is"Coraline" is one of my all-time favorites. I've seen the movie over fifty times because I would watch it nearly every day when I was younger, and I've read the novel five times. The animation is twisted yet breathtaking, and the 3D is innovative and absorbing. The plot is very original, intriguing, and even a little scary which makes for a thrilling experience. Expand
SEROJFeb 16, 2016
Absolutely stunning animation! Thrilling till the very end! If you like animations and scary movies, you don't want to miss "Coraline", watch it without any doubt!
RayzorMooseNov 16, 2013
Coraline is a spectacular stop action piece.
The movie is perfectly paced, and well designed. The concept is good, and the animation is spellbinding. The result is a very entertaining animated tale with a Tim Burton twist.
RikiegeJan 12, 2013
Very good movie that combines animation with terror child.
FreedomFightersNov 18, 2016
There's no two-ways about it, "Coraline" is absolutely magnificent. In a year that featured some pretty amazing animated films, "Coraline" definitely stands out in the crowd. It's brilliantly crafted, wonderfully written, and superbly acted,There's no two-ways about it, "Coraline" is absolutely magnificent. In a year that featured some pretty amazing animated films, "Coraline" definitely stands out in the crowd. It's brilliantly crafted, wonderfully written, and superbly acted, all the while feeling unique, fun, fresh, creepy, and above all, entertaining. The stop-motion animation genre has been home to a number of great films, and "Coraline" is definitely chief among them. Do not hesitate, make it a point to watch "Coraline." Expand
WJSJul 21, 2015
I'm not sure what demographic this films is aimed at. It's a brilliantly executed stop motion story that you would think would be family fair, but really it's a sophisticated horror tale that really isn't meant for the younger crowd. It'sI'm not sure what demographic this films is aimed at. It's a brilliantly executed stop motion story that you would think would be family fair, but really it's a sophisticated horror tale that really isn't meant for the younger crowd. It's very well voiced and looks amazing and once I got into it, I found it very intriguing but it took at least 45 minutes for me to get past the at times trippy look and feel. I now understand "The Boxtrolls" and "ParaNorman" a little bit better but "ParaNorman" is still my favorite of the three. Expand
smijatovAug 13, 2010
Coraline really provides an interesting story with some very nice visuals! It is very engaging and it definitely involves the viewer to figure out what is happening out. Visually, there are some beautiful scenes, and besides the unusualCoraline really provides an interesting story with some very nice visuals! It is very engaging and it definitely involves the viewer to figure out what is happening out. Visually, there are some beautiful scenes, and besides the unusual animation style it is still captivating, but nowhere nearly as beautiful as some new animated films, such as "Up" or "Wall-E". Nevertheless, a very nice animated film. Expand
talisencrwMay 3, 2016
Neil Gaiman is so contemporarily vital, both in literature and cinema, because he more than anyone else (with the possible exception of Terry Gilliam) notes that children and adults alike are fascinated with what lies outside our observableNeil Gaiman is so contemporarily vital, both in literature and cinema, because he more than anyone else (with the possible exception of Terry Gilliam) notes that children and adults alike are fascinated with what lies outside our observable and tangible realms of existence. He realized the reasons storytelling have been significantly important since the dawn of mankind, and devised, as the Brothers Grimm did, that fairy tales and children's stories had to be haunting and entertaining to be both memorable and timeless. This is a great film depicting the growing sense as a child approaches adolescence that their parents and their world aren't exactly as they seem, and that through their trials and tribulations (the 'rites of passage', if you will) they'll reach the 'happy medium' they need to in order to find true happiness in their lifetimes.

I definitely hope that all of Gaiman's books and graphic novels are made into movies (I most anticipate the 'Miracleman' graphic novels--both those by him and Alan Moore). Ones so well-written would truly be 'comic book movies' worth watching for me.
mrmonsterMay 5, 2016
I do not understand any of the hype for this garbage movie at all. If you ask me, this movie was horrible. Not just because it was disturbing, but because it was just plain awful.
ReubenIsAGodOct 31, 2016
Films a near masterpiece. I absolutely love stop-motion animation, and this is definitely one of the best. Everything that laika has been putting out is absolute astonishing, or at least a little lake-warm, but i absolute adore this film forFilms a near masterpiece. I absolutely love stop-motion animation, and this is definitely one of the best. Everything that laika has been putting out is absolute astonishing, or at least a little lake-warm, but i absolute adore this film for its dark horrifying storytelling and just being an absolute classic. Expand
aaronpaul121May 24, 2012
I can understand the overall story very easily so this is really perfect for children aged 4-6. I love the creativity and the imagination of the whole movie. The graphics are great, so visually it has impact to people watching it. We can alsoI can understand the overall story very easily so this is really perfect for children aged 4-6. I love the creativity and the imagination of the whole movie. The graphics are great, so visually it has impact to people watching it. We can also learn something from this movie which I can relate to. An excellent movie for all ages.... Expand
juliankennedy23Jul 15, 2014
Coraline: 7 out of 10: Whom is this movie for is a question that dashed through my mind while watching it. It is too scary and adult for most children. The film is full of High Octane Nightmare Fuel and retired adult entertainment stars withCoraline: 7 out of 10: Whom is this movie for is a question that dashed through my mind while watching it. It is too scary and adult for most children. The film is full of High Octane Nightmare Fuel and retired adult entertainment stars with naked elderly puppet breasts... come to think of it that is High Octane Nightmare Fuel as well.

As for the adults in the audience, I fear that in my case the film was too distant. I never felt emotionally attached to our plucky protagonist. In part because she is not a very nice girl (nor terribly plucky now I think about it) and partially because the film seemed to place her and her predicament at a distance.

On the other hand, I was floored by the sheer artistry of the film. Visually this is simply one of the most stunning films I have ever seen. Director Henry Selick who helmed such stop motion masterpieces as James and the Giant Peach and The Nightmare Before Christmas has taken his art to a new level. Words simply cannot describe the visual delights that lie inside Coraline.

While I found the story somewhat distancing I also recognize the depth of the tale. Coraline’s two universes mirror each other in a complicated web rather than a simply black and white as one might expect. The ocean here may not be that wide but it is amazingly deep. To bad the water was a little cold for this swimmer.
teddylukeApr 6, 2015
a great amazing movie with a good story and characters. this is one of my animated film of all time. I really think this movie is up there with all the Pixar film not cars 2.
MovieGoer14Jun 30, 2013
Coraline is a masterpiece with insightful and clever stop-motion animation that will entertain you like never before. The 3D is absorbing and intelligent, Athena wise 3D use. The plot is original and riveting, with a pleasant and fascinatingCoraline is a masterpiece with insightful and clever stop-motion animation that will entertain you like never before. The 3D is absorbing and intelligent, Athena wise 3D use. The plot is original and riveting, with a pleasant and fascinating ending that you will never expect it coming. Coraline easily is imaginative, powerful and surprisingly, one of the greatest works done in a long time. Expand
YoursTrulyNov 12, 2012
There's nothing like being led into another world.
HaithamBayazeedMay 17, 2013
"Coraline" is described in one word, which is "Magical", but to be fair, it is more than that, wonderful and amazing, beautiful and new "original", it is creepy and scary but it is still my favorite movie of the year, my favorite animation,"Coraline" is described in one word, which is "Magical", but to be fair, it is more than that, wonderful and amazing, beautiful and new "original", it is creepy and scary but it is still my favorite movie of the year, my favorite animation, and one of my favorite movies of all time PERIOD. Expand
reviewfrom19842Sep 3, 2016
Not only a good movie for kid but adult to. It is entering for all ages The animation is fantastic the story is really dark so a kids movie in a good way and the charters are likeable.
AReviewsJun 26, 2013
Many reviewers said that Coraline is boring and dull, as it turns out, Coraline is one of my favorite animated movies of all time, it is original and so meant for kids, it deals with a lot of mature themes (murder, child abuse) it is visuallyMany reviewers said that Coraline is boring and dull, as it turns out, Coraline is one of my favorite animated movies of all time, it is original and so meant for kids, it deals with a lot of mature themes (murder, child abuse) it is visually dazzling and the plot is enchanting, original and thrilling, this is one of the best animated movies ever made. I Love Coraline. Expand
GamecubeLoverJul 3, 2016
This movie is an endless cycle of creativity and spookiness. This movie just makes me wonder sometimes. The animation is pretty cool to be honest. I do recommend this movie.
khutchFeb 17, 2014
Coraline has imagination, a good look and premise, however, all this is useless when trying to connect with the kids seems unsuccessful.
Over the history Coraline does not hold you, the movie walk, walk and walk, and when we realize, it does not show us anything mature, it's quite the opposite actually, Coraline is just a child who repents of something desired.
ZalDec 14, 2012
Coraline was one of my favorite books in middle school. When I heard that there was going to be a movie version, I was excited. And the movie did not disappoint.

The story has an Alice in Wonderland vibe since it involves a young girl

The story has an Alice in Wonderland vibe since it involves a young girl ending up in topsy turvy word. It reminds me of Corpse Bride in the designs of the two worlds where the real world is grey and drab while the alternate world is colorful and fantastical. I love the design of the Other Mother's world. It's bright and colorful and everything is made to please Coraline. However, as Coraline starts to resist, everything becomes darker and the Other Mother looks less and less human. And I don't know about anyone else, but the climax scared me to death.

I also enjoyed the characters. Coraline is a believable kid. She's kooky and weird and has strange taste in fashion. She gets on her parents nerves but she just wants them to to pay attention to her. The parents are also believable. There are times when my parents are so wrapped up in their work that they don't have time for me. They aren't bad people. They're just unbelivably stressed. The Other Mother is freaky as hell. She really seems like the kind of mother we all wish we had. She's funny and loving and gives you whatever you want. Too bad she's doing it so that she can ensnare and kill you. The other characters are mostly hit or miss.

Fans of the book might not like the changes made, but I think there were for the better. The book lacked detailed descriptions about Coraline's appearance. I really liked the blue hair. It fits her character. I also like the addition of Wybie. While he wasn't a HUGE part of the plot, they made his character relevant. And thank god they didn't make him a love interest.

I can understand why people wouldn't like it as much. It does have a lot of slow moments, but I liked those scenes because they were used to show us what kind of person Coraline is and about her relationship with her parents and Wybie.

I'm not sure if it will appeal to Tim Burton fans. It doesn't strike the same balance between macabre, comedy, and whimsy, but it's not trying to be The Nightmare Before Christmas. The only things it has in common with it is stopmotion and director Henry Selick. If you like stopmotion, this is a good movie to see.

And if you liked this movie, watch Laika's other major stopmotion film, ParaNorman.
TubieNov 2, 2010
A very very beautiful work of art in the form of a movie. That is the best way I can describe it. This movie is dark and at the same time offers the viewer the chance to experience a wide variety of emotions as the movie progresses. I thinkA very very beautiful work of art in the form of a movie. That is the best way I can describe it. This movie is dark and at the same time offers the viewer the chance to experience a wide variety of emotions as the movie progresses. I think the story and the pacing are well done and the voice actors did a fantastic job matching the animated characters. This movie is a must buy for fans of this sub genre of animated movies. Expand