Corpse Bride

8.0

1. Apr 13, 2016
    The movie is set to quite a dark theme, which lifts as soon as Johnny Depp enters your life...I mean voices victor on the screen. It has the sort of humor that will make you have a little giggle even on the second watch of it....giggling on the third time? I'll watch & write another review tomorrow, as I really wanna know! The corpse bride (eye popping out, maggots on her face & worst ofThe movie is set to quite a dark theme, which lifts as soon as Johnny Depp enters your life...I mean voices victor on the screen. It has the sort of humor that will make you have a little giggle even on the second watch of it....giggling on the third time? I'll watch & write another review tomorrow, as I really wanna know! The corpse bride (eye popping out, maggots on her face & worst of all she doesn't shower!) is dubbed pretty by my 'ladyfriend'.... yet she herself would rather not go out without her make-up on....not realizing her own beauty? Should I get her some Maggots? Please comment below, help?

So THIS story ends with a huge plot twist!! ** Spoiler ALERT**

- You fall asleep just before half-way & wake up near the credits
    - You end up using your imagination on how the movie went or asking an attentive 'ladyfriend'

Dark, JD, Giggling, Drop dead 'gorgeous' CB, maggots - All THIS combined gets a SOLID - 'Meh'

10/10!!!

*Update 3rd time still a giggle, stay tuned for a 4th update.
  2. Oct 9, 2015
    Wow, Corpse Bride truly shocked me. Ultimately, what we got was a beautiful blend of Tim Burton's creepy gothic look, a Halloween-esque backdrop, and a wonderful meditation on love and marriage. Featuring brilliant voice acting from the entire cast, especially Johnny Depp, Helena Bonham Carter, Emily Watson, and Albert Finney, the film strikes many a chord throughout, but never ceases toWow, Corpse Bride truly shocked me. Ultimately, what we got was a beautiful blend of Tim Burton's creepy gothic look, a Halloween-esque backdrop, and a wonderful meditation on love and marriage. Featuring brilliant voice acting from the entire cast, especially Johnny Depp, Helena Bonham Carter, Emily Watson, and Albert Finney, the film strikes many a chord throughout, but never ceases to be visually stunning. Honestly, this may be one of the best animated films I have ever encountered. The attention to detail and true visual splendor, is incredible. The final sequence may be one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen in a film before. Just...wow. In addition, the music is stellar, but all things created by Danny Elfman have to be, no? I think that is a rule at this point. Overall, Corpse Bride is a wonderful animated film that is funny, romantic, charming, and magnificently animated and created. Expand
  3. Jan 13, 2015
    The best animated love story to date, a beautiful animated classic and a must watch for Valentines Day or Halloween (I guess The Nightmare before Christmas ain't the only film with two holidays included)
  4. Sep 29, 2014
    "Johnny Depp and Helen Bonham Carter are the best animation couple in a tim burton film". Tim Burton is like a book with gotham stories that seem strange at first you'll it as you get to know the characters also the story much better once you see his movies. Grade A+
  5. Jul 21, 2013
    A story about the dead seems so fresh, alive, and beautiful. This is among Burton's best work. His brilliance for creating imagery and tone is why he is one of Hollywood's most distinguished directors.
  6. Nov 22, 2012
    Tim Burton carries on his dark, romantic tradition
  7. Sep 17, 2012
    Corpse Bride is sweet and sincere, dark and funny, and perhaps the most technically accomplished and beautiful example of stop-motion animation ever. A great British voice cast fronted by Johnny Depp (OK he's not British but plays the cripplingly shy young English gent Victor Van Dort well) and featuring Emily Watson, Joanna Lumley, Albert Finney, Paul Whitehouse, Tracey Ullman, JaneCorpse Bride is sweet and sincere, dark and funny, and perhaps the most technically accomplished and beautiful example of stop-motion animation ever. A great British voice cast fronted by Johnny Depp (OK he's not British but plays the cripplingly shy young English gent Victor Van Dort well) and featuring Emily Watson, Joanna Lumley, Albert Finney, Paul Whitehouse, Tracey Ullman, Jane Horrocks, Michael Gough, Christopher Lee and Richard E. Grant simply astounds - few directors other than Tim Burton would be able to command the respect of such an array of talent. Helena Bonham Carter blows all away however with her tender performance as Emily, the tragic character of the title. She's a compelling, rounded protagonist and Bonham Carter takes her characterisation in many directions, from child-like immaturity, to bitterness at her situation to eventual dignified acceptance of her untimely demise, and every emotion in-between. The contrast between the sombre, formal and grey world world of the living and the lively, colourful and free land of the dead is striking and effective - Burton has retained his go-to theme of not belonging in the world you are born in, and still has a unique view of death and a distinctive and individual use of cheerfully macabre imagery. In addition to the detail and expressiveness of the puppets and the energy of the animation (supervised by the film's incredibly talented co-director Mike Johnson), Danny Elfman's rich soundtrack and catchy songs, particularly the jazzy "Remains of the Day" and the rip-roaring "Wedding Song" breathe real life into the film. Though the film has much to say about life, death, class, family, love and loneliness, what makes it so memorable is that Tim Burton has provided us with such an entertainingly oddball piece of fantasy escapism. The world of Corpse Bride is a real pleasure to spend time in, and you really grow attached to the weird and wonderful cast of misfits, be they corpse or not. Burton's kookiness and abundance of unusual ideas can sometimes get in the way of telling a coherent, evenly paced story (most noticeably in his recent efforts Alice in Wonderland and Dark Shadows), but not so here - Corpse Bride is a pleasingly simple tale well-told, and characters and their performers are allowed to make a real emotional connection with the viewer. For a film manufactured using an archaic form of animation that seems to aim to actively reject reality, and which prominently features the reanimated dead, it's an oddly human, and miraculously heart-tugging experience, and is probably the most balanced and immaculate of all Tim Burton's films. Expand
  8. Aug 31, 2011
    When I was going to watch this movie for the very first time, I thought it would be bloody awful. The movie flattered me: it's so beautiful, so full of content, and so carefully made! Tim Burton is yet to make a bad movie.
  9. Dec 30, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I myself am not a big fan of the Gothic style of Tim Burton's animated films. Rarely are there any shades of orange or yellow or any bright, non-depressing colors. However, I think Burton uses these different shades and hues as a metaphor; the living world contains most of the black and gray and the world of limbo (after reviewing the movie, I was surprised by the idea that the world Victor had been dragged into was limbo, rather than the world of the dead) contained more bright colors and happier characters. This film shows what love really is, not typical beauty and infatuation, but actually finding something in common with someone. The realization of the bride at the end of the film and her transition into the afterlife was illustrated very well. In short, this film is a nice love story and has an ending that isn't as typical as I thought it would be. Expand
  10. Oct 31, 2010
    Well, I thought it was great but Nightmare Before Christmas was just a tad better. The songs were good, and the characters just gave it that Tim Burton twang that we all know and love.
  11. DevonS
    Apr 27, 2008
    Who would've thought that the love story of a timid man and a corpse would touch our hearts?
  12. AmyC.
    Nov 28, 2007
    This is the best movie that i have even seen, in my option it is MUCH better than the nightmare before Christmas. i do not understand why people are judging the two movies they are totally different. sure they are Tim Burton's movies but still you don't see a skeleton trying to kidnap Christmas in the corpse bride and you don't see a man marrying a corpse in the nightmare This is the best movie that i have even seen, in my option it is MUCH better than the nightmare before Christmas. i do not understand why people are judging the two movies they are totally different. sure they are Tim Burton's movies but still you don't see a skeleton trying to kidnap Christmas in the corpse bride and you don't see a man marrying a corpse in the nightmare before Christmas. overall I LOVE THIS MOVIE Expand
  13. DeannaH
    Aug 3, 2007
    A really good movie i like it a lot. I like Johnny Depp a lot!!!
  14. ClausV.
    Jan 4, 2007
    Stop-motion animation may be a dinosaur, but can still be technically superb. I didn't believe they used real puppets in this film. Very good plot and characters. Fell in love with the Corpse Bride -what a sweet, unselfconsciously erotic darling! I would happily die to marry her and play four-hand classic piano without a score for eternity!
  15. ElizabethC.
    Dec 20, 2006
    Johnny Depp and Tim Burton are an awesome team.... I loved this movie!!!
  16. KevinH
    Oct 22, 2006
    It's no Nightmare Before Christmas, but a great movie regardless.
  17. alvaro
    Sep 24, 2006
    A beautiful dark story, which amazing characters, and a beautiful ending.
  18. RavenX301
    Apr 12, 2006
    I loved this movie. Maybe not as much as Nightmare Before Chrismas but close.... Just watching Time Burtons films leave me with a warm loving feeling no matter how off beat they are and darkly twisted. Still, Why Johnny Deep? more than likly more of a sales reason I'm sure sense Johnny Deeps Voice for the charater has no bearings on the film. Thou I love Johnny Deep....for a leading I loved this movie. Maybe not as much as Nightmare Before Chrismas but close.... Just watching Time Burtons films leave me with a warm loving feeling no matter how off beat they are and darkly twisted. Still, Why Johnny Deep? more than likly more of a sales reason I'm sure sense Johnny Deeps Voice for the charater has no bearings on the film. Thou I love Johnny Deep....for a leading anamation actors he's not much outside of 'ordinary' Expand
  19. R.Dalvi
    Mar 26, 2006
    Excellent animation. All the people look cute. The voices also are very good.
  20. MichaelL.
    Mar 14, 2006
    Musicals are fun, Animated movies are generally fun. This kinda brought both together with a story lacking true conflict. It would be nice to see movies where men (animated or not) are not displayed as complete wusses. I found the dead bride hotter than warm-blooded one. anyone else?
  21. TonyG.
    Feb 5, 2006
    if you truly love tim burtons style, then you will fall in love with this masterpiece. if you like stupid, commercialized, crappy, trendy,spoiled brat films like most people, then stay away from this movie. if you have a great imagination and dare to go where most don't, then this is for you. extreamly creative, classic type story. if you get the dvd go to the extras and just see for if you truly love tim burtons style, then you will fall in love with this masterpiece. if you like stupid, commercialized, crappy, trendy,spoiled brat films like most people, then stay away from this movie. if you have a great imagination and dare to go where most don't, then this is for you. extreamly creative, classic type story. if you get the dvd go to the extras and just see for yourself just how much mind power was put into this film. hats off, 2 thumbs up, 3 snaps in a circle to tim burton and his crew for making an instant classic. Expand
  22. KodeeD.
    Jan 9, 2006
    I loved this movie. You gotta LOVE Johnny!
    Jan 5, 2006
    Its official. Johnny Depp is the best actor both on screen and off screen. He plays the role perfectly, and we didnt even see him in person! That guy is amazing.
  24. DanC.
    Jan 4, 2006
    Visually is a sublime, but the plot is really predictable and boring.
  25. SammyZee
    Jan 1, 2006
    I've always thought that Tim Burton was great. And now he's back for another movie. I'm giving this an 8 instead of a 10 becuase it's not only a movie for little kids, the animation is but if you watch it there was a deeper meaning.
  26. GregF.
    Dec 25, 2005
    I giveing it a 10 because tim burton has out done him self this time hey always has a way of toping every flim he has ever done and he gose above and beond the call on this one.
  27. KingdomH.
    Dec 7, 2005
    I think the story doesn't suit little children. The animation and the character do, but some part of the story need adult understanding. Just take a look yourself, and you'll understand what I mean. Other than this is just magnificent.
  28. WallyS.
    Dec 6, 2005
    The best animation of the year. Burton pulls it off once again and creates a majestic work, of inner beauty and of dazzling visual. A classic, Romeo + Juliet on gothic roots.
  29. KevinF
    Nov 24, 2005
    When I first saw the movie, I was very impressed. But time after thinking about it, it still was a good movie, but they should have used better then Johnny Depp and Emily Watson. Corpse Bride was overall a solid movie, but 77 minutes? The ending seemed very rushed, and there were times to have you guess, but it was kinda predictable. I guessed all the predictables, and a couple of cool When I first saw the movie, I was very impressed. But time after thinking about it, it still was a good movie, but they should have used better then Johnny Depp and Emily Watson. Corpse Bride was overall a solid movie, but 77 minutes? The ending seemed very rushed, and there were times to have you guess, but it was kinda predictable. I guessed all the predictables, and a couple of cool lines to show in the movie. If Burton didn't just used "friends" as his voices, and took a better look at others, maybe it wouldn't have sounded so weak at times. Overall, a 7/10 sounds like the right rating. It's worth a look when it comes out on DVD. Expand
  30. KarlV.V.
    Nov 24, 2005
    Wonderfull movie, it's made realy beautifull and thestory is really ogiginal too. Classic Tim Burton!

1. A wondrous flight of fancy, a stop-motion-animated treat brimming with imaginative characters, evocative sets, sly humor, inspired songs and a genuine whimsy that seldom finds its way into today's movies.
  2. Reviewed by: Justin Chang
    An endearingly schizoid Frankenstein of a movie, by turns relentlessly high-spirited and darkly poignant.
    It's warped and wonderfully effervescent. Ditto the songs by Danny Elfman, who sings the role of Bonejangles, the frontman for a skeleton jazz band at a swinging underworld club. Best of all is the love story.