7.5

1. Oct 2, 2011
    I read the reviewers comments and found them unrealistic and petty. Even stupid in a few cases. This is a movie with no big names out of nowhere. Our theater was busy so we chose this movie..... and glad we did. If this doesn't make you think, like a few of the critics did not, then you are already a lost cause.

It is rare to hear applauding at then end of a movie, but there was that
    and cheering.

This movie is more a call to arms for parents to start being parents again, like 25 years ago. Not let the government raise out kids, but us. And I think our society would be a better place if this was a required show for all high school teachers and students.

Yes, it talks about religion as its base for responsibility, but that facet can be replaced by anything. It is about the need to raise our kids and ourselves responsibly. With any foundation you think is necessary. This makes you reevaluate your life to day, and the going forward.

This is about taking control of ourselves, raising our kids responsibly, and being there. Pure and simple.
  2. Sep 30, 2011
    How refreshing to get a positive message from a movie? This movie accurately describes how men are in the western world. This movie gives hope and inspires how men/father's should resemble our heavenly father.
  3. Sep 30, 2011
    Great movie! This movie is a christian movie however non Christians will still get wrapped into the story and maybe shed a few tears while they are at it.
  4. Feb 15, 2012
    If anyone is not totally touched by this movie, then you need exactly what this movie is teaching. This movie is powerful & eye opening. I notice some people bashing on the acting. But ya know, those people are missing the point this movie is trying to make. It's not suppose to be about the acting (although I thought they did a pretty darn good job). It's suppose to be about the message. God is the perfect father & although no human is perfect because God made us the way we are, it is still our responsibility to follow him & do as he asks. Try our best to be the best we can be. God gave his only son to die for OUR sins! That's amazing! Could you do that? You dont have to! Because Jesus took that for you! That is something none of us could ever completely fathom. You may call it "Jesus freak" or whatever your term for it may be, but I call it following my father who loves me unconditionally. And I plan to show my children that same devotion & to continue to follow my Lord & Savior. Thank you Lord for all the blessings you bestow on me & for sending your only son to die for MY sin. I can never fully repay you but I will spend my life trying nonetheless. I love you Lord. Amen. Expand
  5. Feb 2, 2012
    A fantastic movie, it's emotional, funny, sweet, and will keep you hooked until the very end, it's in my opinion a must see experience, and the only reason I'm not giving it a perfect 10 is because it ends way too soon, I wanted it to keep going on because I wanted to see how the characters kept living, honestly I found that I really cared about these characters and their lives, which is something few movies ever attain, they could have stretched two or three more hours and I wouldn't mind, I just wish it never had to end, but like all good things it has to end, a must watch. Expand
  6. Oct 1, 2011
    This was a wonderful movie. It wasn't a movie you go to expecting great acting, but the message is strong. It is the kind of movie that every father should go see. If you leave the theater not feeling different about your parenting, then you probably need some kind of counseling. I think this would do better if it had been released around Father's Day, but the studio would know better than me.
  7. Oct 2, 2011
    Christian or not, to give this movie a bad review is just wrong. It was a great MOVIE. Did it have a christian theme? Yes. Was it an excellent story, with wonderful actors?? Also yes.
  8. Oct 29, 2011
    This was a dynamic movie that spoke personally to me. The message was one that everyone should hear.I shed more tears than i ever have in any other movie. It seems to be that these film makers are the ones that are courageous. They are willing to address an issue that men and their families desperately need to hear.
  9. Jan 21, 2012
    So powerful and motivating! I pray they keep making movies like this. Proof you dont need violence or well known actors for a great movie!! My husband and I watched together and I cried the whole movie from the wreck on. Really puts life into perspective and how blessed I am!
  10. Feb 14, 2012
    This film is a much needed breath of fresh air. Christian or not, the message to all the fathers out there is powerful. I read the reviews here and by some critics, and I cannot help but wonder if these same people would dare reproach a movie regarding Hebrew teachings and ways of life because there are hundreds of them out there. Oh my gosh! A movie with a Christian message, must be boring and contains a hidden agenda. This was a fine family movie , period! Expand
  11. Nov 22, 2011
    The critics are out of touch with reality. This movie is one of the best movies to be released in the last 20 years. Go see it now!!!
  12. Oct 22, 2011
    I watch a lot of movies and based on the content of this movie, I would say it is the best movie I have ever seen. Sure I have seen better action and special effects, but those things just entertain. This movie speaks the truth loud and clear in a society that prefers indifference to truth. This movie had me crying one minute and laughing hysterically the next! Bring extra napkins with you to this one. ;-) Expand
  13. Oct 8, 2011
    I wish i could have given this movie an eleven out of ten! I believe every dad should see this movie! and i mean even the non-christian dads too! There is one thing everyone has to agree on, christian or not, and that is that the bible, true or not, has good messages and that it teaches a lot of things that would make life better! No, you don't have to get on your knees after you see this movie and repent, but i do hope that anyone who sees this movie goes home and becomes a better dad! I will openly admit to being a christian, and because of that i love this movie that much more. I still hope that the movie has a family impact on you, however. You might deny the bible, but you can't deny the message. Expand
  14. Oct 3, 2011
    it's definitely a great movie for everyone. it's an inspiration on dealing with reality of life. it has humor with all other emotions of daily living. keep it up Kendrick brothers!!!!
  15. Oct 3, 2011
    As a husband and a father of two boys, this film hits you right in the gut. Yes, the acting is good but not great, but you should see this movie for the message and the content and not because of the acting. This movie leaves you knowing that there is more to life than just working, doing the honey-do list, and "being a dad". As they stated in the movie, "anyone can have a baby, but it take courage to be a father". This movie is excellent, and I highly recommend it to all the husbands, fathers, and teen boys out there! Expand
  16. Oct 10, 2011
    This is the greatest movie I have seen in a long time! If only the young fathers or any father would go and see it. It is so unusual to be able to go and see a movie these days without every other word being a curse word. I thought the acting was great. It was sort of like everyday people in my eyes. GREAT JOB!
  17. Oct 17, 2011
    Loved this movie. I normally cannot cry during a movie as a tough guy. I couldn't help it but one part, I had some tears. One of the best movies I have seen. Really challenged me to be a better dad to my kids. Go see it, but be sure to know that you will laugh and you will probably cry. Simply Amazing for me.
  18. Oct 28, 2011
    Excellent movie for it's realistic situations and abilty to prod the raw nerve of fatherhood. If every man lived the way described in this movie the world would be an awesome place. Just because God and Jesus are referenced doesn't nullify the truth of what fatherhood should be. If your dad believed in Jesus and also fulfilled his God-given role as a father for you, why would that be offensive? Anyone who can't see the truth revealed due to their easily offended heart will hate this movie. I'm not one of those and I loved every moment. Bring extra Kleenex for your neighbor and prepare to see what being a father is supposed to look like. Expand
  19. Oct 31, 2011
    I am decidedly not a Christian. And I very much believe in the message that this film delivers again and again about the importance of a father's role in society. And how much it is costing our society when the men do not step up and do the needful.
  20. Feb 2, 2012
    I already wrote a review..

I just wanted to add.. I am also a Deputy Sheriff.. I have 13 years in Law Enforcement.

I hope and recommend all- ALL MEMBERS of the Law Enforcement Community to watch this movie. As a Law Enforcement Professional- this movie hits home. Have some Klenex near by....
  21. Mar 31, 2012
    AWESOME movie. What I liked was that it was serious, yet had laughable light hearted parts. Javier made this movie. Other than Facing the Giants, this is my favorite movie. The only thing that I would have done different, is not have the little girl die. That downgraded the movie for me. How about having her miraculously come back to life after dying. That would have been better. I am sick of people dying in movies. Expand
  22. Oct 10, 2011
    As a frequenter of movies I continue to ask myself one question "What should I be feeling?" Many movies can deliver a great and enjoyable story, but what's lacking is the amount of emotion that the viewer feels. Courageous is able to bring that feeling of joy, sadness, and relief to the viewer in spades. Never have I been to a film that's made me want to cheer for the good guys and want to beat the crap out of the corrupt ones. If there's one thing this movie does perfectly, it's evoke emotion. Even in scenes that I had no reason try tear up for, I still did, the emotion is just that powerful. As far as performances go, they're mostly solid, besides a few hiccupy lines I felt as if all the characters were believable enough and allowed for a more immersive experience. The only problem I found with the film was the story, I felt as if some of the fathers didn't get enough screen time, I don't want to spoil anything for you, but some get waaay less time than the main dad. This hurts the experience in a way that made it less of a 'band of brothers' ordeal in which they try to become better fathers, and more of a 'I'm a cop who has family troubles and am going to steal screen time from my other cop friends so that they can only tell their awesome stories in montages'. But as far as the narrative goes it is one that is heavily Christian and heavy on fathering a child. The introduction scene makes this very apparent, with a thrilling sequence that ties the viewer in and keeps them going for the whole film. But the movie won't spend all of its time beating you over the head with emotion, suprisingly, there are some very funny moments, one in particular that takes place in a cop car. This allows the viewer time to break up the tense and emotional atmosphere and adds more life to all the characters, allowing for more immersion, which is always a good thing. Overall the movie feels very segregated into one section, will non Christians enjoy it? I'm not sure, it depends on your religious preference, do I think this is one of the best father son movies of the year? Without a doubt. If you're looking for a great film that will tug at your heart strings and evoke emotions you didn't know you had, you've found it, as far as Film of the Year goes, this is one my heavy hitters. Expand
  23. Apr 11, 2012
    It's an absolutely brilliant movie that highlights the importance of the family unit in a society that continues to attack it. Seeing this movie makes you more inspired to understand the bibles perspective on fatherhood. Our Heavenly Father gives us a massive blueprint that we can follow and I feel hugely challenged and motivated to love my family all the more.
  24. May 15, 2013
    First--Why so critical of the acting?--how do YOU look on a video in real life? Remember--so called "pro" acting is rehearsed over and over and the script is written for them and the special effects, cameras, etc--there is NOTHING real about most hollywood movies--least of all the acting. I think this acting represented what real people are really like more accurately than most hollywood movies do.
    Second--God's message and mission is far too important to leave to the missionaries alone. We must all live it and share it with others-- even Hollywood must do its share--especially to those who scoff and mock. Don't let yourself be deceived, God is not mocked. For whatever a man plants that is what he will harvest. Plant scoffing and mockery of God and you will receive scoffing and mockery from God. Get it?

1. Reviewed by: Paul Brunick
    Oct 4, 2011
    For now, though, Mr. Kendrick will have to settle for being a good enough filmmaker, content to preach to the choir.
  2. Reviewed by: Tom Russo
    Oct 4, 2011
    For all Kendrick's stolidity, he delivers a couple of wrenchingly tender scenes.
  3. Reviewed by: Keith Staskiewicz
    Oct 4, 2011
    How you like Courageous - an overtly Christian-targeted production about four police officers learning lessons about God and family - will likely mirror how you view church: It's either an overlong ordeal filled with talky sermonizing or an uplifting communion with your deity and values.