7.9

1. D.Rush
    May 8, 2004
    Few movies in my lifetime have moved me as much as Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. I would challenge anyone who would dare speak ill of this film to a fight to the death.
  2. ChristosM
    Jul 6, 2009
    Saying this is a bad film just because you are bored of reading the subtitles proves how uneducated and childish some people can be.Americans tend not to recognize the fact there is filmmaking happening outside of America and the Uk too. I must admit the origins of the film increase the hype surrounding it but most of all it's a rewarding movie full of high aesthetics,great martial Saying this is a bad film just because you are bored of reading the subtitles proves how uneducated and childish some people can be.Americans tend not to recognize the fact there is filmmaking happening outside of America and the Uk too. I must admit the origins of the film increase the hype surrounding it but most of all it's a rewarding movie full of high aesthetics,great martial performances and if not good acting,at least perfect photography.It's a piece glistenning with oriental elegance! Expand
  3. DavidC.
    Jul 9, 2002
    It may seem unrealistic at times with the flying fighting scenes, but the film is captured in such a way, that you are lost in it's beauty. We need more Kung-fu pics like this.
  4. MarkW.
    Apr 8, 2003
    One of the best movies ever! A masterpiece!
  5. JohnnyT
    Sep 1, 2007
    Most of the reviews seem to be all or nothing, for me, great acting, better story, beautifully filmed.
  6. Nov 25, 2010
    One of the best movies ive seen ever, so beautiful the music is poetic and beautiful, the fight scenes beautifully choreographed, such a lovely movie, cant belive the idiot on here who rate it lowly.
  7. Sep 21, 2010
    I had no idea what to expect my first time watching this film and it had everything to make it a masterpiece and is also the film that cause an interest in foreign films for good reasons. As far as story go, Ang Lee dose a great job capturing the feel in every scene in both the action sequence and dramatic scenes that its beautiful to watch. It`s a story that blends action, romance,I had no idea what to expect my first time watching this film and it had everything to make it a masterpiece and is also the film that cause an interest in foreign films for good reasons. As far as story go, Ang Lee dose a great job capturing the feel in every scene in both the action sequence and dramatic scenes that its beautiful to watch. It`s a story that blends action, romance, betrayal, and vengeance with flawless execution which makes for an experience unlike Hollywood will ever make. The special effects in this film makes it more unbelievable how incredible this film is. The only complaints is not a big deal unless you hate reading subtitles for an entire movie. I recommend anybody who wants a different experience than what their usually use to. Expand
  8. Apr 30, 2014
    Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is Lee's masterpiece, and possibly his most creative film. He honors the traditional style of Chinese filmmaking with respect and careful attention to detail. It's beautiful and stunning, with memorable and expertly choreographed fighting scenes, and top-notch cinematography. Even thought the movie was translated into English for me, I still found itsCrouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is Lee's masterpiece, and possibly his most creative film. He honors the traditional style of Chinese filmmaking with respect and careful attention to detail. It's beautiful and stunning, with memorable and expertly choreographed fighting scenes, and top-notch cinematography. Even thought the movie was translated into English for me, I still found its (translated) dialogue very well-written and well-said. Not to mention, the acting and story are pretty good as well, but not up to the level of the beauty and art side of the film. Expand
  9. Oct 4, 2010
    This film really surprised me. It's very well made and stunning to watch. The scenery is spectacular, the film alone could be used as an advertisement for Tourism in China. The action sequences are unbelievable and the three main stars are very well cast. This is a visual feast.
  10. Sep 2, 2013
    This is martial arts at its finest, a film where everybody is fighting for something, there is always a sense when watching a classic martial arts film that when these fight scenes happen, the artists involved appreciate and respect the skill of their enemy or counterpart, and director Ang Lee has respected this essence in this epic tale.
    Not only does he create some spectacular scenes of
    Not only does he create some spectacular scenes of awe and beauty, but he also has a compelling and fluid story that equally matches the action, a feat that may seem impossible, given the ambitious, heroic and gravity-defying segments that are played out as a well choreographed drama that surprises throughout, it's a riveting fantasy but also keeps a very grounded element and human touch to drive the film forward.
    The story surrounds a very ancient and sought-after sword, owned by veteran warrior Li Mu Bai (Chow Yun-Fat) who is now passing it along as a gift, something that surprises many, including his fellow warrior and longtime love interest Yu Shu Lien (Michelle Yeoh). But the such a sought after sword is not safe anywhere and a cunning but unknown thief steals the sword, setting various pieces of the puzzle into place, we are also introduced to Jen Yu (Zhang Ziyi), who has a deep interest in the work of the warriors, but leads a very routine life and is soon to be married. She is the dark horse of the film, where it becomes clear that all is not as it seems with this mysterious girl.
    This ties in well with the spectacular scenes of action involving roof chases, wall climbing and some very impressive sequences that were all done without computer generated actions, these actors and actresses did most of their own work, and it is the seamless motion of these moments, paired with an intriguing and in depth story that make this one of the best martial arts films ever made, it has moments of grandeur but also never let's go of its humility, which combines love, loss, anger and respect,all while also showing some groundbreaking fight sequences that will truly be viewed as unmatched.
    Great performances, excellent direction and expert cinematography which creates a mesmerising film of epic proportions, it has a simple premise but is delivered on a much broader and intertwining story arc that keeps on giving right to the credits.
  11. Dec 30, 2011
    It goes from boring in the beginning all the way to the perfect martial arts/action movie. I found most of the martial arts scenes to be surprisingly ambitious.
  12. Dec 4, 2012
    Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is arguably one of the finest movies ever made and it is truly a masterpiece in every aspect of film-making such as characterization, action sequences, screenplay, direction, cinematography, acting, the stoyline and the main theme of the movie. I don't remember how many times I have watched this movie and it always feels so great, gives me much satisfaction.
  13. Nov 4, 2012
    The go-to wuxia film. Lyrical and elegant, at a certain point it becomes more than just an action film with beautifully choreographed action sequences.
  14. Apr 14, 2013
    I found it a little overrated. It wasn't as astonishing as I had expected. A little better than a so-so one for me. That's it. Some predictable stuff and not so amazing story to me.
  15. May 10, 2013
    This is not your typical American "Chinese" film about fighting, gangs and all that stereotypical crap. Humanism permeates this film as much as in other film by Lee Ang. All violence is token and is subjugated to a purpose. Comparing this film to Jackie Chan flicks is not unlike comparing fine cuisine in China to the supposed "Chinese food" in the US.
  16. Sep 16, 2014
    I must have seen a different movie. Many of my friends praise this as the ultimate (and poetic) martial arts movie. For me the movie was just above average. The story is nothing special for me. I will even say it was boring some times. The pictures are fantastic and the soundtrack is good. The martial art scenes are good too and Chow Yun Fat is always a bonus point. The actors are good, aI must have seen a different movie. Many of my friends praise this as the ultimate (and poetic) martial arts movie. For me the movie was just above average. The story is nothing special for me. I will even say it was boring some times. The pictures are fantastic and the soundtrack is good. The martial art scenes are good too and Chow Yun Fat is always a bonus point. The actors are good, a solid performance from everyone. Overall I find the movie is a bit overrated but by all standards no failure. I would give 6,5 /10 so that means rounded up 7/10. Expand
  17. Mar 19, 2015
    When I watch an action movie that has romance, I cringe because alot of times those two genres dont get mixed very well, but the director did such a wonderful job paying sooo much attention to the music, film setting, and the beauty that China has to offer. Yes, it is not that perfect in terms of predictability but you will get immersed in the interweaving plots that this movie has toWhen I watch an action movie that has romance, I cringe because alot of times those two genres dont get mixed very well, but the director did such a wonderful job paying sooo much attention to the music, film setting, and the beauty that China has to offer. Yes, it is not that perfect in terms of predictability but you will get immersed in the interweaving plots that this movie has to offer. For me, it was quite relatable from the lessons that the director tried to convey. The fight scenes are of course classic and the acting is alright.

I'm giving this a 10 because this is a unique film in its genre that gives a real story instead of just 2 hrs of hardcore action
  18. May 9, 2013
    I honestly headed into this film thinking that I would not like it because of the subtitles, but it was very good. Not the best movie ever, obviously, but it was very entertaining, especially once I came to understand what the characters were representing. Ang Lee did a fantastic job directing the film and all of the actors were marvelous as well.
  19. Nov 17, 2012
    Brings an elegance to the martial arts movie that is of utmost significance. It is not the perfect film that the critics make it out to be, but I'm glad this film was made. It teaches us that a genre which seems flat and one-sided can be transcended and made important.
  20. MikeN.
    Aug 9, 2003
    A very solid martial arts drama. I've seen a few better, I've seen a lot worse. Despite the critical acclamation and Academy awards, this is not a great picture however.
  21. JohnD.
    Jul 1, 2004
    7 out of 10 as an average score for such an amazing film?
  22. BIGBUTTER
    Feb 8, 2007
    Really good movie and the action was awesome. Hard to follow in parts.
  23. YoonC.
    Sep 15, 2003
    Sweeping and grand, at moments even lushly beautiful, it suffers from Zhang Ziyi's skeletal features and performance. Far better are the seasoned veterans Chow and Yeoh who slowly, layer by layer, unwrap and bare the love they feel for eachother. Some action scenes have mythic grandeur while others are of looney tunes variety. Uneven, but far more mature than the average HK fare Sweeping and grand, at moments even lushly beautiful, it suffers from Zhang Ziyi's skeletal features and performance. Far better are the seasoned veterans Chow and Yeoh who slowly, layer by layer, unwrap and bare the love they feel for eachother. Some action scenes have mythic grandeur while others are of looney tunes variety. Uneven, but far more mature than the average HK fare which inspired it. Expand
    Jul 11, 2005
    A flowing masterpiece, in terms of story, art and action. The musical score in commendable, too. Hero and House of Flying Daggers are excellent as well, but fall a few points short of this one, as they have some clunky or lathargic moments, particularly the latter's lame ending. The movie's never too long, and pacing is even. Many good action movies tend to have rusty parts, but A flowing masterpiece, in terms of story, art and action. The musical score in commendable, too. Hero and House of Flying Daggers are excellent as well, but fall a few points short of this one, as they have some clunky or lathargic moments, particularly the latter's lame ending. The movie's never too long, and pacing is even. Many good action movies tend to have rusty parts, but I can't find one in this film. Expand
  25. MikeC.
    Jul 9, 2005
    It is a measure of the failure of American film criticism that this confused and overlong martial-arts soap opera is in the top ten at Metacritic, while The Matrix, one of the best films ever made, doesn't even rate in the top 200.
  26. PamaF.
    Mar 3, 2008
    This movie was mad. The graphics was really good and thestroy line was interesting.
  27. DarriasC.
    Nov 13, 2001
    Great visuals and fights the subtitles kept it from geting a 10, when they're fighting they talk and you look at what they're saying and miss some of the action.
  28. MamaG.
    Feb 12, 2001
    I would never voluntarily pay to see a martial arts film - just not my style. BUT this film transcends the action. It is a old fashioned romance and adventure movie with excellent characters. I was surprised by the female emphasis in the story and I wept at the ending. I thought it was visually stunning and the martial arts scenes were more like dancing than violence. You don't have I would never voluntarily pay to see a martial arts film - just not my style. BUT this film transcends the action. It is a old fashioned romance and adventure movie with excellent characters. I was surprised by the female emphasis in the story and I wept at the ending. I thought it was visually stunning and the martial arts scenes were more like dancing than violence. You don't have to like Jackie Chan or Kung-Fu to thoroughly enjoy it! Expand
  29. GaretM.
    Jul 30, 2001
    Beautiful in every way. The acting so amazing, half way through the movie I realized I had stopped reading the sub-titles, I didn't need them. Action, romance, epic cinematography, all rapped in a (bring tears to your eyes) musical score.
  30. JohnS.
    Aug 6, 2001
    Super!

1. Handsome, passionate and fun. It's everything we go to the movies for.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Brilliance of the action and effects are supplemented by a consistently superior and resourceful score by Tan Dun.
    The picture is more fun than it has a right to be.