8.2

1. Nov 21, 2014
    Intelligent and provocative in all the right ways, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes expands on its remarkable predecessor with dynamic motion capture, well realized ape character arcs and a blatant and bleak social message.
  2. Nov 17, 2014
    I enjoyed watching every bit of it. Awesome action sequences, especially when the apes attacked San Francisco at night, had great intense moments and top notch CGI.
  3. Nov 13, 2014
    "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes" 10 Scale Rating: 8.5 (Fantastic) ...

The Good: While they are very different films, the sequel transitions flawlessly from the first and fits into the franchise perfectly. You get so used to the apes, that you forget that they are created with special effects. That is the mark of truly fantastic work and you can't help but be impressed. In films like
    this, it is easy for the human actors to fall to the wayside, but that does not happen here .. at least not with the leads. Jason Clarke's Malcolm believably connects with Caesar and forms a bond that I feared would not be achievable. It's a shame that Serkis won't get award consideration due to being a motion capture actor. He deserves it. The battles were intense and the film does a great job causing you to wonder if your favorite characters will live or die. Lastly, the film is very poignant and provides excellent social commentary without cramming it down your throat. A worthy successor, which is hard to come by these days.

The Bad: I gotta admit it ... scenes of monkeys, riding horses, wielding machine guns, and leaping through fire were among the more ridiculous scenes that I have ever seen. They were during some very serious moments, and I couldn't help but laugh at them. Some of the supporting cast was pretty cliche and forgettable. They also weren't well characterized and I didn't even see what happened to a few of them.
  4. Nov 11, 2014
    I was pretty excited for the second installment in this series. I thought Rise of the Planet of the Apes was a great film and I was looking forward to the follow up. I thought the movie was a little slow to pick up but as soon as it did it was impressive. Both the main ape characters Caesar and Koba (played by Andy Serkis and Toby Kebbell respectfully) were great. I really enjoyed their intensity. The only complaint I have is that I would have liked to have seen more from Gary Oldman. It looks like he was going to have a bigger role in the film than he really did. This installment is just as good if not better than any of the Planet of the Ape films. I can't tell if I like it better than Rise of the Planet of the Apes or not. I'm expecting the next movie to be the final one, but I'll be excited to see it. Expand
  5. Nov 11, 2014
    I expected to see a good sf flick not a pathetically slapped together f****** drama. Incredibly boring to watch. Among the worst movies I have ever seen. *vomiting sounds* Acting was s***, story was s***. There is no story buildup (unless you count that 1-2 min intro explanation), no character development, instead its just thrown in your face without proper explanation. Who the hell comes up with c*** like this? Utter waste of my time. Expand
  6. Nov 9, 2014
    terribly boring movie. many stupid fights and shooting. plot is primitive. the characters are flat and uninteresting. I could watch this movie only on fast forward
  7. Nov 2, 2014
    Dawn of the Planet of the Apes proves that a film can have sublime special effects with a multi-layered story filled with strong themes of politics, trust, betrayal and leadership. Caesar and his apes are intellectually stimulating and complex characters that show that humans do not need to be the focus in order to draw empathy from the audience. This intelligent war movie is a full-on dramatic epic that never cease to thrill. Expand
  8. Nov 2, 2014
    Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes gives us a very good script with stunning performances (Andy Serkis, Jason Clarke and Toby Kebbell) and a lot of amazing and brilliant special effects. This film is going to win some Oscars. (81 - 100)
  9. Oct 31, 2014
    Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is carried by one man (or ape) of the name Andy Serkis with a few decent tense scenes that grab your attention. Other than that, I simply didn't find the film interesting with a slow pace and an ending that needed some help.
  10. Oct 28, 2014
    How has this film gotten so many good reviews? All of you people in the user reviews giving this film a full 10/10 need to grow and pair of balls and stop recommending this **** As a long-term planet of the apes fan who expected nothing less than pure awesome from this film considering its source material, I believe this to be one of the worst films this year. I am shocked by the amount of people who outright ignore the piss-poor effort that had been poured into this blatant cash in. How anyone can be so blind and not see all of the incredibly obvious problems with this film baffles me. So, here we go. The writers and director both need a good slap in the face for the ****ty crap that they were bothered to deliver. The dialogue is cringeworthy, both for the apes and the humans. What's more, I remembered none of the characters names (besides Caesar from Rise) after the film, I don't even think they even mentioned half of their names, and all of them have cardboard personalities. Characters do the stupidest things and do 180 personality switches constantly. I sympathised with none of the characters, and you know you're watching crap when you hate every nameless **** the writers came up with in their film. On top of that, it's soooo **** boring. I can only name a handful of films I have actually fallen asleep in and this film is one of them. Sure, the first 15 minutes are pretty engaging and the battle is mildly entertaining but who wants to sit through an hours worth of boring **** to get there. Finally, and this is what pretty much ruins the film for me, the story is **** retarded. I challenge you to sum up the plot of this film briefly without sounding like the biggest **** mongoloid. All of the other Planet of the Apes films have plots that are easy to sum up but you're gonna be sat there talking for a while trying to easily explain what the **** is going on in this film. To simplify my opinion of the story, it has no proper beginning and no proper ending, brings nothing worthwhile to the franchise and sequel baits so **** hard, it pisses me off. So to sum up, the writing is terrible, the characters are completely unlikeable (therefore there is no emotion in this ****fest) and the story is retarded. If you're happy watching poorly-paced, self-indulged dribble then it rarely gets better than this. I gave this a 3/10 because that's the score I'd honestly give this film as opposed to a dishonest outright 0/10. It gets no lower because the special effects were convincing and I love this franchise, but I lost a lot of respect for it because of this film. And soon enough, we'll probably be seeing trailers for 'War of the Planet of the Apes' or whatever they decide to call it, but so help me god if they **** it up like they ****ed up this film... Expand
  11. Oct 27, 2014
    One of the best movies of 2014 and definitely the best block buster. Unlike most of the franchises new PotA isnt worse than the first one. On the contrary, there is even more action, the cgi got better too and Ceaser(Andy Serkis) has more charisma than 99% of human lead roles. What I very appreciate is the lack of human factor. Unlike Trasnformers for example, where we listen all the time how much they love each others bla bla bla when all we came to see are giant robots, You wanna see super intelligent apes kicking some ass and you will. Already looking forward to next Planet of the Apes movie. Expand
  12. Oct 25, 2014
    Dawn is hard not to like because it is a satisfying accomplishment. It is less predictable than the recent first installment and that adds a new enjoyable dimension to the ape adventure!
  13. Oct 20, 2014
    Dawn of the Planet of the Apes falters just inches from perfection, mainly because it's somewhat predictable and convenient at times.

Yet, to make things simple. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is not only a fantastic movie filled with great action and emotion. It's also responsible for giving us a powerful sci-fi character to go side by side with the greatest in history like Darth Vader
    and Spock. That character is Caesar, who was already great in Rise of the Planet of the Apes, however in this movie we see his new phase in the evolution. We get to see what is in my opinion the most compelling character in a sci-fi int he past decade develop himself as a leader.

On top of that, we also get Koba, another fantastic ape that you're bound to keep in your mind for years to come.

Finally, I was super happy and surprise with how solid the human side of the story is. The movie never forgets that is about the apes, but it still manages to give us an interesting and well developed human story on the side.

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is FANTASTIC.
  14. Oct 18, 2014
    Lets just start with the word WOW,ok ? This was one of the most awesome,thoughtful and enjoyable movie of the year. Many critics have bashed it for being a bit clichéd or because of other reasons but I have to say that I loved the movie. I watched it in 3D because the town there I live in was no option other than 3d so I watched it in 3d.I thought was going to be dead for me already because for what I know from my experiences 3D is just a way to gain more money at the box office by offering the viewers a device to watch the film thats gonna ruin the experience. Luckily it didnt happen with this one. I am glad it didnt and I am actually happy,kind of,that it screened in 3d because the 3d enhanced the feeling for this movie.The 3d format was vivid and it actually add to the involvement of the story. Talking about the story. The story was really really good and I am surprised to say this because I didnt expect this movie to impress,surprise and entertain me so much. The key elements like the action,the pacing and story were done really well. What I found most interesting was the character development. Every character was treated so well I thought I was dreaming because you dont expect this from a summer movie. This summer movie though,for me, I felt it was done with passion and dedication. It is a great movie and it is one of the year's best ones. Expand
  15. Oct 18, 2014
    Good film great plot Oscar winning acting must see film I think it is the best film of the year and it will be very if not impossible to beat I loved it
  16. Oct 15, 2014
    Dawn of the Planet of The Apes is manage to be even better than Rise of the Planet of The Apes in lots of ways especially the script this time it's really engaging and intense with great characters supporting them even though the human characters is kind a rush and i didn't care them as much as i want to be but at least the movie tries to makes me care about them but it just doesn't work because they gave a lot of time to developing the story and didn't have much time to tell the story of each characters but again it's a fair trade i guess story for some characters .

The director Matt Reeves he's just amazing in this movie with his directing and story telling the way he telling the story is really interesting and open a lot of thought , there's also some camera angle that really makes me exciting and he uses it very efficient.

The main character Caesar is again really great in the movie and i have to give credit to Andy Serkis he's just amazing and deserve some award winning.

Ultimately Dawn of The Planet of The Apes is exactly the movie you want it to be it has a great script , great characters especially Caesar and the director Matt Reeves is doing a great job , the movie has some problem with some human characters though but i think it is a trade they have to make because the movie is 2 hours and 10 minute already if they spend more time to develop more characters it will be like 3-4 hours , l think it is still a only negative thing i have in this movie , other than that are just great and this movie is for sure the best movie of 2014 so far just go and see it !!.
  17. Oct 12, 2014
    Alright, so this is the second part in our Planet of the Apes reboot. I’m glad they set this one eight years after the last one (Rise of the Planet of the Apes) because it allows for the realistic decay of humanity to happen quickly. Or was it ten. Anyway, we can get to the cool setting, in which the apes are in charge and a seeming threat to humanity once again. Is that a spoiler? I’m sorry. Shut up. So there’s no more James Franco, but there is a whole new cast of interesting characters. Last film we had scientists as the main characters, now we have survivalists. Well, they’re scientific too. But anyway, while they cannot steal the show like Cesar (Andy Serkis) does, they pulled off the roles that the story needed very well. My eye was always on Gary Oldman. The Dreyfus guy. Yes, that’s right, Gary Oldman’s character has a name. And it’s Dreyfus. I’ll get to him in my spoiler review.
    As I said earlier, Cesar is definitely established to be the main character in the first few scenes of the film. We see what he’s been up to since his escape from San Francisco and how much he’s grown intellectually. I’ll have to say that I’m very impressed with the realistic direction that this reboot decided to go in. And when I say realistic, I’m not talking about the CGI play-dough apes. I’m talking about the fact that they resemble real apes, and not humanoid apes. It’s interesting to see how apes might behave had they higher intelligence. However, this is more of a tension movie than it is an action movie, if that is indeed what the posters are implying. Is it more the fear of the apes attacking than the apes themselves attacking. Nonetheless, this film is a big step up from the last one and absolutely kills it. However, it feels like more of a chapter than a film itself. When I look back and think on it, I’m not sure there was an awful lot that happened in it. I also feel like they could have picked a better spot in the eight years that had passed to film two hours of it for us to see. It felt sort of like a day in the times of the planet of the apes. That should really have been the title for this film. A Day in the Times of the Planet of the Apes. Nonetheless, it’s a damn good time, and probably one of the better films you’re going to see all year if you’re into sci-fi or whatever. Just remember, tension. Then action.

Rating: 84%
  18. Sep 20, 2014
    Matt Reeves returns by bringing this great Sci-Fi movie that is the sequel to Rise of the Planet of the Apes.Highly intelligent and dark, this movie takes you in a post apocalyptic world where human kind is extinct and apes rule the rubble of Earth .Dawn of the Planet of Apes has outstanding visuals,great score and a surprising emotional depth to the story.
  19. Sep 13, 2014
    Absolutely LOVE this movie. The special effects are some of the best ever and the motion capture work is groundbreaking. On top of that you get a great story and solid acting from both the monkeys (Andy Serkis is always fantastic) and the humans. Its also very moving at times and has a lot of emotional depth. An altogether smashing sequel that is to Rise of the Planet of the Apes what The Dark Knight was to Batman Begins. Expand
  20. Sep 10, 2014
    I had a great time watching this film at the cinema, 'Rise' was a surprisingly good film when it was released and I was confident 'Dawn' wouldn't disappoint.

I must say, it turned out even better than I expected. It's a solid film, about as good as you can generally hope for from a mainstream blockbuster movie.

Sure it has it's flaws, but with this type of movie it's difficult to
    avoid them. The action scenes in the latter stages of the film get perhaps a little over the top, and have to use large amounts of CGI. The human characters are also somewhat poorly developed and can be a little one dimensional(for the most part).

But again, these criticisms are largely negligible and I think difficult to avoid with what the film was aiming to do. Ultimately, if your looking for a well-made, highly entertaining blockbuster film then this comes highly recommended.
  21. Sep 9, 2014
    Saw this a while ago and never bother to look at the reviews. Absolutely astounded to see this so well reviewed. Thought it was punishingly horrible piece of pseudo psychological garbage. You almost couldn't write a more hackneyed script for this post apocalyptic universe. Oh the apes are like us, they have thoughts and feelings and there are "complex" issues in their society. Oh no, an accident, oh no betrayal, oh yay redemption. Really, this is a terrible movie. The effects etc are decent but don't waste your time or money. Chef, or Most Wanted Man, from what I've seen, are far superior. Heck even Guardians has a more compelling story for my money. Expand
  22. Sep 9, 2014
    I am really happy that i choose to watch this in the cinema, i loved this movie. I never saw any of the other Planet of the Apes movies but i plan to watch them now.
    Amazing visuals, impressing storyline, it has some sad and cruel moments and an elaborated script. The opening act was truly beautiful and mostly of the rest of the movie was. Those talking apes really made my day and the
    apes fighting techniques and weapon handling was well thought. Expand
  23. Sep 7, 2014
    Perhaps my interest in this film is my passion about the history of the primates from the first film in many years ago, where even was in the testicles of my dad.

Let's talk about the film, the first thing that I have that I have to praise are the special effects, give it personality, attitude, real expressions that make you feel desperation, hatred, love...

Sound, soundtrack,
    mounting, nominations please. In the end tremendous highly recommended movie. Expand
  24. Sep 7, 2014
    the best film I've seen this year with The Zero Theorem. There are good FX and Story. The post apocalyctip world is convincing. The rythm of the story is slow during the first hour. Cesar is a the very best fake characther since Gollum.
  25. Sep 3, 2014
    One of the most satisfying sequels in recent years. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes takes the reboot franchise down a darker, scarier and more honest road. And after years of motion acting, Andy Serkis has perfected his craft and could finally be looking at some awards attention for his portrayal of Caesar--if he doesn't, he should.
  26. Sep 2, 2014
    Matt Reeves has done it again. I can't believe this movie was as good as it was! It was action-packed, emotional, and enjoyable. It doesn't just focus on the impending war between the apes and the humans, but it focuses on the interactions between the humans and apes, which results in a very emotionally intense film. It also had great acting from everyone (apes included) and some beautiful cinematography. Expand
  27. Aug 30, 2014
    (probably) The most enjoyable movie I've seen this year. This film not only reach my high expectations, but far exceeds it. This is to Rise of Apes and the Planet of the Apes prequel series what The Dark Knight (2008) was to Batman Begins and The Nolan's Dark Knight Trilogy. Definitely one of the - if not - the best movie of the year. This is shaping out to be my favourite/most anticipated movie series; I'm really looking forward to the next installment. Expand
  28. Aug 28, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A must see movie. The movie takes place 10 years after the Simian flu has wiped out most of the human race and the apes are very intelligent. We follow Cesar (Casear? I don't know how to spell it) who we also followed in Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. He has started a community of apes in the mountains just beyond San Fransisco. A small of group of humans encounter them and want their permission to use the dam nearby to re-power their community downtown which is almost out of gas for their generators. Cesar lets them do their work and there is finally peace and trust after Cesar's wife is cured from her sickness. That is until Koba, an ape that has pure hatred towards the humans, shoots Cesar and gets more apes to burn down their community. He blames the humans on the attack and death of Cesar and tells them to go to war with the humans. They all go downtown and an intense battle ensues. The group from earlier that escaped the burning community find Cesar almost dead on the ground and take him back to his old house that we saw in Dawn and he gets fixed. His son, Blue Eyes (I think) frees the humans and captive apes downtown and Cesar takes down Koba and they all wait as war approaches from another city. (I didn't add all details fyi) Expand
  29. Aug 28, 2014
    The film sucks. Its the same thing over and over again from other planet aps movies. The movie was not thought out well. They just stuck what ever they needed in their and it terrible.
  30. Aug 26, 2014
    Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes is an amazing movie if you enjoy action movies then this is a great movie if you like story and tense moments then this is also amazing. I loved the film and think it's possibly the best film of 2014. The moments when bullets are shot it's loud and you will most likely jump the movie is amazing and deserves the 10 .
  31. Aug 25, 2014
    This film portrays acts of betrayal, decisions, trust, and friendship. It is a interesting film about apes. It is a must-see for anyone who likes or is interested in apes. The Plot is unique and the music is amazing.
  32. Aug 24, 2014
    A spectacularly dull film, noteworthy only for the fact that, despite clocking in at just over two hours, it felt like it had sucked four hours of my life away. The characters are flat, uninteresting and utterly forgettable, the visuals are mediocre at best and the entire film seems to merely be an opportunity to show two apes fighting each other in a construction site. And even that supposedly climatic scene managed to be uninteresting, because there is no reason to care about any of the characters in this movie, and the fight itself is not interesting enough to hold ones attention on its own. Even the film's message of interspecies (or inter-cultural) cooperation and communication falls flat, offering nothing new or interesting on the topic but preferring to fall back on the stock idea of "they're just like us!", something that has been covered dozens of times before by far better film makers than Matt Reeves and co could ever hope to be. A worthless, brain dead bit of cinema. Expand
  33. Aug 23, 2014
    This is truly an amazing movie
    i am speechless, the performance and visuals was spectacular
    Caesar was awesome and the action scenes are breathtaking
    Truly amazing
  34. Aug 23, 2014
    In all honesty, I preferred Rise to Dawn, Dawn was focused a lot on fighting where as rise was more of the origin and science behind the Planet of the Apes.

I was impressed by Gary Oldmans performance but then I always am. I thought there were strong scenes in the film but weak ones too.

Overall the film was good but not memorable.
  35. Aug 22, 2014
    Dawn of the Planet of the Apes puts great emphasis on the importance of the choices we make as individuals and how the selfish acts of the few, can be horrific for everyone.
  36. Aug 20, 2014
    Impressive visually, but I wasn't gripped until about half-way through the film as I found myself quite bored - which the downside I found. It takes a while to start-up but once it did I was gripping my seat.
  37. Aug 19, 2014
    This movie is just great you'll love most of the characters in this movie and you'll hate some of them great action With a great story and the cgi in this movie is phenomenal! Andy Serkis does a great job playing ceaser in this movie. Get this movie when it comes out for dvd!
  38. Aug 17, 2014
    It swings in and out of action packed violence and intense emotional back-stories of characters who you genuinely feel a connection with. The ending is a climatic explosion of grand proportions, with you hearing the question in your head "Do I support humans or the furry ones?" Overall, pretty sweet for a big-budget Hollywood blockbuster.
  39. Aug 16, 2014
    Pure awesomeness. Believe me, this movie is everything you want from a good science fiction action movie, especially the battle scenes. And the CGI was stunning. Trust me, you want to see this movie.
  40. Aug 14, 2014
    Good movie if you liked the first Rise of the Planet of the Apes. Continues the story line of Cesar and his crew, but later in the movie more conflict.
    Acting was decent, but no real peril was felt for the humans honestly. I felt more feelings for the apes in this one honestly. Rise had more human-ape interaction, and Dawn has more ape-ape following to be honest.
    See it in theaters for a
    good flick, buy it if you liked the first, but not worth a second or third view, it stumbles at times to hold your attention. Expand
  41. Aug 14, 2014
    Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is a perfect sequel to Rise of the Planet of the Apes. The movie has some truly powerful moments that hit home. You will be on the edge of your seat waiting to see what happens next, because there's never a dull moment in this movie. Human or ape, the characters in the movie all have their own motivations that if you look at things from their point of view, you could justify almost all of their actions. Needless to say, the apes have evolved since the previous film and are now a tribal community led by Caesar who's teaching his son how to lead the apes when the time comes. The movie is intense and you'll walk out of the theater feeling glad that you went to go see it. If you have the choice, choose the 3D as the 3D is amazing and wonderfully utilized in this film. If you liked Rise, then you'll love Dawn. It builds upon what Rise established and raises the bar for its eventual sequel. This is certainly a Summer movie must-see. Expand
  42. Aug 13, 2014
    as a spectacle, Apes succeeds. As a torch carrier of the "smart, out-of-control-animal sci-fi" genre, it's a snoozefest. It wants to be more than "the lost world" with chimps though...it wants to be downright shakesperian, and at times IT IS. But the overall plodding pace leaves you in the middle ground between mildly entertained and seen-it-all-before. The amount of cliches packed into this film should have given the filmmakers pause and cued some more creativity as to how you film certain "necessary" scenes (SPOILERS: like when the fool brings a shotgun to the lakeside chimp retreat. Okay, a SHOTGUN?! A gun at all is ridiculous, but it pushes the story forward. a little pistol, i could imagine hiding. BUT A SHOTGUN? hidden by a little blue blanket in your wide open tool chest? get out of here with that). instead of playing with genre, which can result in great films we all buy on blu-ray, "Apes" feels like an attempt AT genre. and if you don't nail a straight up genre attempt, the movie can easily become camp, or worse...boring. But then again, when your fore bearer is the Planet of the Apes franchise, "Avoiding Camp" might have been this film's working title. And in that regard it is a success on par with its predecessor. Expand
  43. Aug 13, 2014
    Andy Serkis is something else isn't he...Caesar, his character was outstanding..the facial expressions, the movement and the atmosphere. The technology was first rate. Some of the mass ape movement scenes are nearly up there with Jaws for menace. The non ape actors aren't too shabby either. Jason Clarke and Gary Oldman are on top form. There is a little anti war anti human moralising but its not laid on too thick..Great fun Expand
  44. Aug 12, 2014
    Another pretty darn good installment of the Ape movies. A most entertaining movie for those of us who like this series of movies. The digital changes to this type of movie is a considerable improvement over the older movies with make up on actors that make them appear stiff lipped with out facial expression.
  45. Aug 11, 2014
    This is one of the best movies to come out this year, I loved every second of this movie the apes are just great and there is always one crazy in movie like this, everyone should watch this if they know what a good movie is
  46. Aug 10, 2014
    In an alternative way of life for humans, inside a movie that is entertaining and neat, the Ape's society show the deficiencies of human kind and the consequences they include.
  47. Aug 10, 2014
    It aims for spectacular action and set pieces, and achieves that to a large extent. But I didn't find the story as interesting as in 'Rise...' because now the main developments have played out in the earlier film (where it was super interesting to see how apes could plausibly become super-intelligent and escape captivity), and the story left to 'Dawn...' is how things escalate from there. Which is pretty easy to imagine. Some humans and some intelligent apes have a conflict and it escalates. No matter how much action and drama you push along with such a story, it's limited in its potential. I had fun interpreting it as a metaphor for the Iraq oil invasion though. Although an insane interpretation, it fitted so well for the first half of the movie. And if seen as propaganda against Islam, the movie gets the subtext it otherwise lacks. Expand
  48. Aug 10, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I went to see this film at the cinema yesterday. It is absolutely awesome, and there is no stronger than I can use adjective. This suite is beautiful, and in addition to being extremely well done, it shows that the company monkeys is actually not that different from ours, which shows how man and monkey are extremely close and can perhaps even equal to the level of intelligence. I especially enjoyed seeing the monkeys grow in society, particularly seeing Maurice to school for example. And all this under the eye of an exemplary leader Caesar what.
    In short, a movie to see with friends because it's just awesome.
  49. Aug 9, 2014
    I was expecting a good storyline, but it's not. Maybe I belonged to old generation because i found this movie a bit boring, not enough tensions and not enough character developments. I think probably this movie was targeting young genders. I still like the prequel better than this.
  50. Aug 9, 2014
    The storyline was absolutely fantastic. From the introduction of the movie, showing the near extinction of humanity to the final scenes; this film was packed with heartfelt characters and beautiful dialogue, and even leaves an open ending for a possible third movie, its so good graphics look good and its very interesting i recommended
  51. Aug 8, 2014
    Thought this was going to be like Rise, but no, I was surprised by this AMAZING film, there was absolutely NOTHING wrong with it, sure it was slow at some parts but WHO THE HELL CARES
  52. Aug 8, 2014
    I can't believe the reviews are so high, it doesn't make sense. I feel asleep at one point because it is so slow. Rent if you must see it... the director and scriptwriters haven't done their job. Everything rests on the VFX and simulation crew who make this movie watchable for 10 great minutes. Then we go off into cliched character doing predictable things except for the main character…
  53. Aug 7, 2014
    A very well done movie that I thoroughly enjoyed. I watched the last ape movie the night before I saw this movie and I can say that it picks up perfectly where the last one left off.
  54. Aug 7, 2014
    I'm sorry if you like this movie because to me the only people who could honestly have thought this sequel was good are the ones that are die hard fans. We've seen the premise of humans being killed off almost to extinction numerous times, something refreshing would have been nice. The plot of this movie would get a C for attempting a mediocre plot. A movie about Apes and humans having conflict and then it's resolved but they still are going to war now (next movie) makes zero sense.....I enjoyed the 1st one but this movie had so many elements that i've seen before it just seemed stale and unoriginal. I left the theater think okay...so they dropped the ball Expand
  55. Aug 6, 2014
    After mixed feelings from the first movie, the second movie in the reboot series more than meets my expectations, the special effects are better than ever, the story is interesting from both sides and makes me feel hatred and sorrow towards both sides. there are characters on each side that seem to reflect each-other. some scenes are not as interesting as others but still keeps enough interest to keep me watching I would recommend to see this movie whenever possible. Expand
  56. Aug 6, 2014
    es una buena película con buenas ideas pero falto mas historia mas enfatizada en lo es pero tiene una buena historia buena trama la música suena bien pero tuvo algunas cosas que no estuvieron bien y me aburrí por eso pero lo demás fantastico
  57. Aug 6, 2014
    This movie was amazing from start to finish, with it's well done story, beautifully crafted message about war and there's no superior race no matter what you think, and the amazing visuals, seriously, I kept forgetting these aren't really apes, well done Matt Reeves, can't wait for the third one.
  58. Aug 5, 2014
    It's good, but not as monumental as many are claiming it to be.

It has an engaging plot that reasonably paves the way for another installment in the franchise, but it's not very original. It has familiar themes of survival and belonging. The action and battle scenes are very well executed, albeit with predictable outcomes. The script and dialogue are not bad, but could've been better.
    The acting is good, although not compelling enough to have any emotional resonance.

The absence of these elements doesn't make it a bad movie, just not amazing as i expected it to be; especially after all the high reviews.
  59. Aug 4, 2014
    Although not as consistently entertaining as the first film, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes provides a deeper and more meaningful story with Andy Serkis upping his game and carrying his film to greatness. For a bonus the human characters are actually compelling. I give this film 88% of a good movie.
  60. Aug 4, 2014
    An interesting movie with a very good story and moral lots of action and so on overall a good movie. Not much more I could say about it. Worth watching.
  61. Aug 4, 2014
    Really great movie, the CGI is breathtaking and Andy Serkis comes back once again with a great performance as Caeser. Definitely give this a watch, one of the best Movies this year.
  62. Aug 3, 2014
    HOLY ****, you must see this movie. It's the blockbuster of the decade. The effects, acting, cgi, are all outstanding. If you haven't seen this movie yet. STOP what you are doing and find it now!
  63. Aug 2, 2014
    During " Dawn of the Planet of the Apes ", you get that sense of dread from the opening shot of the movie to the epic and breathtaking conclusion to this memorable sequel, where the Apes come to life on screen.
  64. Aug 2, 2014
    This eighth (!) picture in the Planet of the Apes franchise gives the original film a run for its money. Building on the aftermath of the last film, this movie places Caesar at the center of the story, and it's surprising how well it works, given that he and all of his simian costars are (wonderfully) computer generated characters. In fact, the only sleight I can give this otherwise wonderful picture is that the actual human characters feel much more artificial than the titular apes. Expand
  65. Aug 2, 2014
    Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is a film that does an excellent job at continuing the rebooted tale without jumping over too many plot points. It lacks in pure acting ability, but that is strictly reserved for the poorly cast human characters. The apes are portrayed, acted and integrated into the world with seamless precision, allowing for the needed suspension of disbelief.

The story
    is quite familiar, but also refreshing, a turn of events that the first film in the rebooted franchise doesn't foreshadow. With humanity seemingly at a moment of extreme crisis the world over, Caesar, the original ape who developed increased intelligence and who became the leader of his kind, has led his people into the thick forests of California to establish a home. The entire film centers around the interaction between a small colony of humans and Caesar's tribal apes.

It all progress with fantastic tempo, the pacing only surpassed by the anticipation it builds in the viewer. "What's going to happen?" is a question many movies attempt to have the viewer ask themselves, but only the minority actually succeed at. This film is in that excellent minority.

The only flaws, to my eyes, were as I said: the humans. Gary Oldman, despite being casted in a type of role I've always felt he was suited for, is underutilized in comparison to certain other people. These others, a mixed bag of performances, are mostly overshadowed and at times insignificant to the apes themselves. Perhaps this was inevitable when considering the story, but I do feel that more could have been done to provide a more balanced and engaging human colony in terms of casting and performance.

In the end, I got my money's worth and then some, with only the smallest complaint to offer. Now, my opinion may be more favorable to the reboot as I am one of those who have never seen the originals (shocking, I know), but I can't imagine this film or the last doing any disservice to the classics of the past. Worth the price of admission, and shines well above your average summer blockbuster fare.
  66. Aug 2, 2014
    Decades into the franchise, and on it's 7th director, the Apes' reach a new high. Arguably the better than the original film and an improvement on its equally surprising predecessor, Dawn goes places no other apes film has. The effects in this film are also equally amazing, but Andy Serkis and Toby Kebbell give some of the best performances of the year as two apes in a dystopian future.
  67. Aug 2, 2014
    Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is the equivalent of a holding pattern. A film who's seemingly only purpose is to set up the events for the inevitable third film. The first in what I guess will now be a trilogy, Rise of the Planet of the Apes, was a perfectly contained movie, showing us how the world of Planet of the Apes came to be while giving sly nods to the original film. At the end of Rise, the story is concluded and nothing more needed to be said. And indeed, nothing more is said with Dawn. While the depictions of the Ape society are fun (and indeed the best part of the movie) the "drama" between the apes and humans that this film hangs on is flat, overwrought, and hopelessly predictable. All this film does is draw out what we, as an audience, could infer happened from the closing credits of it predecessor without bringing anything new or interesting to the table (aside form monkeys with machine guns). While an entertaining distraction and a true achievement in the field of special effects, I left the theater with the distinct notion that nothing substantial or satisfying had actually HAPPENED in the film.

A movie that didn't need to be, it poses no convincing argument for its own existence.
  68. Aug 1, 2014
    One of the best movie's i have watched. It really show's how the monkey's evolved from a normal functioning society where everyone follows the rules to a blood thirsty pack of monkey's looking for power. I was pretty angry when i found out that the main actor of the last movie wasn't going to be in the new movie. But the story and new character's really made up for the loss. 10/10 would watch again. Expand
  69. Aug 1, 2014
    What a tremendous reboot. I was wary after the terrible Mark Wahlberg film, but this film was absolutely captivating from start to finish. They make you root for the apes, brilliant
  70. Jul 31, 2014
    The "Planet of the Ape" series has suffered from it's fair share of ups and downs. Most folks, have bad taste still left over from 2001, when Mark Wahlberg headlined the Ill-fated Tim Burton remake of the same name. I liked it, but this is beside the point. Fox, lost all hope and canned any thoughts of a sequel to that version. Then in 2011, the unthinkable happened. A REBOOT (GASP). Rebooting franchises was starting to become a norm, and Fox deliberately invested..in what would be a giant hit .. "Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes". Not only was that film so captivating and touching..it was also extremely groundbreaking in the technological advances. Using motion capture suits and WETA digital to bring the apes to life.
    Three years later, and here we are. "Dawn of The Planet of the Apes" has hit the silver screen..and while it's not nearly as captivating the second time around. This sequel still proves a worthy entry into this beloved franchise, offering richer and emotional character development. Something an audience member can appreciate. I don't want to sound cheesy...but there is a slight chance that yes, you may go bananas.

If you stuck around after the credits during "Rise" then you would know a fluenza was starting to break out. (As a result of the apes escaping) "Dawn" picks up the pieces ten winters after the virus outbreak. The apes (head by Caesar) have colonized and are living life peacefully. That is until the remaining survivors, headed by Malcolm (Jason Clarke) and his girlfriend (Keri Russell) stumble upon them. Hoping to use the apes source of power .. to generate it for the other surviving humans. That is until one Ape.. Kopa, decides to wage war on all of humanity.

Say what you will, but the original "ROTPOTA" was pretty top notch in terms of quality. I was shocked just how good it turned out to be. However what makes the film so good? .. very rare does an effects team get all the credit. My hat goes off to the folks at WETA digital and their ever expanding tools of motion capture. They simply make it look easy. But, those motion capture suits are nothing without their performers. Andy Serkis (Caesar) steals inadvertently every scene he is in.

The process for how the apes have genetically evolved is something for the record books. The audience can feel the emotional integrity that Serkis infuses into the role. For that alone I feel he deserves an Oscar nomination for Best Actor. On the human side of things, Jason Clarke is a much better James Franco to root for. While Gary Oldman is right in his typical wheelhouse.

In addition, the story this time around is entertaining yes..but lacking in some variety. When you watch this film's predecessor, you sort of grow up with Caesar and watch him evolve, plus the technology of the time was superb. The second time, we have grown accustomed to the confines we are entitled too. Matt Reeves (director of Cloverfield) knows his own boundaries and vastly improves upon them. I just wish there was more personal one on one time with Caesar and maybe understand the pressure he has to face. The writing was not as strong as I thought it needed to be too also. While of course this is just me being nit picky. The film still embarks into some new territory, offering a glum look into the not so distant future.

For any performance..the emotional connection to the character is so important. Don't let anyone walk out of this film saying they were not connected of some sorts to the apes. There was a time when I thought to myself.."wow this is amazing, how are they doing this?". The vast majority of the landscapes are simply jawdropping. I can't commend the visual effects crew enough.

With a bolder story, enticing characters and more darker tone. "Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes" has enough action for everyone. It may be a little too darker for younger children. But for older ones..the message is insightfully endearing. You also don't need to be familiar with the original flick to understand this one. There are few references from "Rise". So if you're worried that you haven't seen the predecessor. Rest assured, you won't be confused.

Really though, what it boils down too at the end of the day is one person, and his name is Andy Serkis who carries the film on his shoulders, and reluctantly brings new definition to the world of motion capture. It's something no person, nor reviewer can explain. In this process he puts all humans to shame..and actual apes everywhere.

B+

Release Date: July 11th 2014
    Studio: Fox

Thanks For Stopping By ®
  71. Jul 31, 2014
    While being predictable in some fragments, and, in my opinion, having a less articulated plot than it's 20th century predecessors, the new installment of The Planet of The Apes is clearly a sci-fi that obscures most of it's competitors. It's a brilliant story, it has great actors (Gary Oldman, for one), it has a magnificent use of Motion Capture and it has some breathtaking shots; what more could you ask? Sure, don't expect no 10/10 History Of Cinema Masterpiece, but in these days, a product this well polished is simply heart-warming. Expand
  72. Jul 30, 2014
    Not a bad movie per se, but at the same time there really is nothing interesting to this story. What's the takeaway, that different species will fight to protect themselves when they feel threatened, and violence is not nice? Because somehow that wasn't obvious??

It may look like a smart movie, but at the end of the day it's really a dumb movie with no idea of what it's trying to
    convey. And it's boring, which critics seem to automatically confuse for deep and provoking. Expand
  73. Jul 30, 2014
    Dawn of the planet of the apes was very well planned and and overall was very good to watch. But I thought that the connection to the previous film was pointless since his human family had died from the virus.
  74. Jul 29, 2014
    This is, without a doubt, one of the most boring movies I've seen all year. The action was incredibly short-lived when it actually occurred. I was hoping for an action movie, not a drama.
  75. Jul 29, 2014
    Come on guys this one is not good.. It did keep my attention though, so for that (and because I'm in a really good mood today) I'll say an even 5 out of 10.

-a
  76. Jul 29, 2014
    Stimulating and Satisfying

A solid political thriller/siege flick. While it lacks the fun and optimism of the James Franco "Apes," it crafts a story that is stimulating and satisfying.
  77. Jul 29, 2014
    All those digital apes with their forced expressions, are just so stupid and unreal that make this film virtually unwatchable. Who directed the art on this crap?
  78. Jul 29, 2014
    "We've been through hell together! We spent four years, FOUR YEARS fighting that virus, and then another four fighting each other! It was chaos!... But you all know what we're up against! And I want you to know, it's not just about power! It's about giving us the hope to rebuild, to reclaim the world we lost!"

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is absolutely phenomenal and one of the best
    summer blockbuster movies in recent years. I actually watched the movie during its initial release window but decided not to write a review for it as i was sick at the time so i never got around to it but seeing that some time has past now and i still find myself wanting to write a review for it so here i am. Well to start this movie was my most anticipated movie of the whole year over other films like Captain America 2, X-Men DOFP, Godzilla, and a few others, and i would have to say the film most definitely delivered on all my expectations. I wasn't a big fan of Matt Reeves previous films so i was a bit hesitant when i learned that he was going to be the director of this film that being said though i didn't really know that Rupert Wyatt the director of "Rise of the Plant of the Apes" was virtually a unknown director at the time when he did that film so i should have given Reeves more of a chance.

The film picks up 10 years after the film installment and the opens up with the apes hunting for food and right from the beginning the film blows you away with its amazing visuals which i was absolutely thrilled about because Weta Digital really dropped the ball with the visuals in The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug and its good to see them redeem themselves. It's been 2 years since the apes and humans had any contact with each other and Caesar isn't even sure if they are alive anymore which you can see makes him sad. Leading up to the events in this film the humans spent four years fighting the virus then the next four years fighting each other but it seems after all that the few remaining survivors live in peace in the ruins of San Francisco for the past two years. With fuel running low and the fear of returning back to darkness the main humans which consist of Gary Oldman as Dreyfus the leader, Jason Clarke as Malcolm a scientist, and Keri Russell as Ellie his girlfriend.

After a brief encounter with two young apes in the woods where one of them ends up getting shot in the arm we see Caesar and a huge group of apes march on San Francisco to show power but only to say that humans must stay in the cities and the apes will stay in the forest, this happens to one of the more iconic parts of the movie as it was so freaking awesome to see the apes ride on horse back. Malcolm convinces Dreyfus to give him three days to go talk to the apes to see if they cant just gain access to the hydro dam in the forest so they can fix it so they can have electricity all over the city and they wont have any need to enter the forest. Caesar agrees which leads to one of the fellow apes starting to question his actions. From here we see things escalate in both the human and ape groups which ends up leading to a all out war between the two.

While i was watching the film i would see something happen and i would think to myself and be like okay so this is going to happen but to my surprise it didn't and that happened to me a couple time throughout the movie which i loved because few movies can do that consistently and prove me wrong each time. I was never really a fan of Jason Clarke and i wasn't sure how i was going to like him being in this film seeing that he was going to be a major part of it but he actually did a solid performance which i was surprised about it also actually made me think that he wont be all that bad in Terminator: Genesis. Gary Oldman again was fantastic but of course that's nothing new, he has this one really emotional scene that ends up being one of the more memorable parts of the film. Toby Kebbell as Koba was great he was strong and fearful he also did a really good job for his first motion capture film but i'm sure Mr. Serkis had something to do with that.

Speaking of which lets get to Andy Serkis as the mighty ape Caesar honestly there really isn't anything to say other than we already know he wont win a Oscar for this which is just a absolute shame. His performance in this blows every other motion capture performance of his out of the water its really not even all that close id go as far and say that this is his best performance to date period. The motion capture for the apes was seriously stunning some of the apes like Caesar, Koba, and Maurice, look just as if you were looking at real apes, there are a couple parts where you get to see close ups of Caesar's eyes and you seriously can not tell that its CGI.

Overall i give it a 9.5 i have more in my review but i seems it will be too long for Meta
  79. Jul 28, 2014
    Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is definitely an awesome movie, I wouldn't say it's better than Rise of the Planet of Apes but, indeed, it's a movie that you can't miss. Everything looks amazing, writing, soundtrack, the acting, but specially the CGI, the details on Koba's face were extremely real, not to mention the fur. The story is very well written and developed, It also brings out messages that are very relevant nowadays. Expand
  80. Jul 28, 2014
    A nice film, absolutely worth watching at the cinema. I had watched "Rise" on DVD, and I wasn't enthusiastic about "Dawn" at all. I went, however, and what I saw exceeded my expectations by far. Even though the script isn't something really authentic, it is pretty obvious that its makers have tried hard to achieve a better-than-expected result. It may seem that it's all about action, but there is much more to this. There are things that "Dawn" attempts to comment on (a wide, actually, range from ecology to racism to the definition of heroism), and it does, in many cases, successfully. There is, of course, the motif that neither of the two sides (humans or apes) is either good or evil, but they both exist in either races (or sides of ourselves).

It is also spectacular as an action movie, with the necessary thrills and twists, and, of course, lots of CGI, but it does manage to make its ape-protagonists pretty realistic, provided that you've watched "Rise". Human protagonists seem, on the other side, too generic and I found it hard to sympathize with them. But I didn't care while I was watching the film, it didn't matter for me. Sometimes, even if a film is flawed, it can also be thought-provoking.

I won't say more, not to spoil anything. But it is a summer must-watch, this year, I believe.
  81. Jul 28, 2014
    Nothing could have prepared me for the dazzling special effects and CGI. Unfortunately, nothing could prepare me for the trite story, wooden acting, faux-Shakespearean melodrama, and overly-long set pieces. Apparently, our collective bar for what passes as truly remarkable has dropped so low that this film could dazzle so many watchers. Not for a second did I buy the anthropomorphizing of the apes. And the vocal track almost made me long for that unbearable Bane v.o. A mess from start to finish, and sure to be a huge hit and produce an endless number of sequels (Transformers anyone?) Expand
  82. Jul 28, 2014
    The best movie of 2014 so far. For two hours it immerses you into its atmosphere! Great characters, fantastic main plot, top notch CGI ... it is a must see!
  83. Jul 28, 2014
    After the disappointment of 2011's 'Rise of the planet of the apes' one could be forgiven for thinking that this latest instalment would be just another excuse to cash in on a successful franchise, one that was already in a moribund state since the inception of the TV series way back in the 70's. Therefore, it is with unreserved enthusiasm that I can recommend whole heartedly this latest chapter in the simian saga. The whole package just couldn't have been put together better, but it has to be said that a lion's share of the credit has to go to director Matt Reeves who previously thrilled us with his visually stunning and equally dark 'Cloverfield'. Helped by a surprisingly dense and impressive screenplay he has managed to inject in to familiar proceedings, depth of character, excitement, pathos and suspense and yet has still found time to inventively position the camera to jaw dropping effect. There is even some slow motion, 360 degree camera pans and knock out crane shots. In fact we have everything here but the kitchen sink and it all works beautifully. The story is good and there is definite deliberation in the pacing which is perfectly judged and balances the action sequences with the many quieter and more reflective moments.

Technically the movie is everything that you would expect.. The cinematography is dark but luminous. The production design and visual effects are state of the art brilliant and the music gives the film its menacing undercurrent which is underlined by some of the best sound work for ages. Jason Clarke also demonstrates why he deserves to be given leading roles along with the best of them. To call this the best ape film yet is a pretty empty compliment. More importantly it is an estimable achievement in its own right.
  84. Jul 28, 2014
    Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is incredible just shy of CG Nirvana. Its great plot twisting story keeps you on the edge of your seat most of the time.
  85. Jul 27, 2014
    Incredible movie, it surprises me in all the ways, the action as well as the drama scenes are amazing and the characters are touching - both, humans and apes! - the special effects, scenery it is all awesome. There are great actor like Jason Clarke and Andy Serkis, and we can't forget about the incredible direction of Matt Reeves.
  86. Jul 27, 2014
    Decepcionante secuela de una precuela que me encantó. Los diálogos son muy pobres, el guión es pésimo (si el mono malo ese no estuviera en la peli la propia peli no tendría razón de ser), trama leeenta y aburrida. Típico de Hollywood, te ponen unos cuantos monos realistas y una ciudad abandonada que da el pego y la gente lo flipa, yo no soy tan estúpido, yo buscaba algo mas inteligente. La precuela fue genial pero esta es una pérdida de tiempo total. Y al final de la película no pasa nada nuevo, no ha avanzado en la historia. Harán otra, pero yo no pagaré por verla ni loco. Rollazo, es lo que tiene confiarse de las buenas críticas... Expand
  87. Jul 27, 2014
    Set a decade after the first film with the world’s population decimated by the virus designed to help cure Alzheimer’s, this sequel focuses largely on Caesar, the super intelligent ape from the original movie, and his tribe.

First and foremost Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is a remarkable technical achievement setting a new benchmark for CGI acting and the emotion conveyed on the faces
    of the apes is quite frankly unbelievable. Fortunately there is an entertaining plot to match making for an excellent all round watch. Expand
  88. Jul 27, 2014
    Just got back from the cinema watching this one with my dad. I was really looking forward to seeing it, and for the most part I thought it was a great film. The writing was good, the acting was fantastic. It's amazing that we've reached a point with CGI where you totally empathise with and even shed some tears over some computer generated characters, but that's how I felt watching Caeser and the other apes. They certainly were the stars of the movie, with the human characters taking a back seat - but we wouldn't want it any other way. That said, some of the scenes when humans and the apes were connecting on a deeper level and building trust with each other were some of the strongest in the whole film. I think it's an allegory for the connection we need to make with animals and the environment - one that we have lost over the past few centuries. Some parts of the film I felt were a bit cliche and predictable though so that's why I'm giving it a 9. But overall it was engrossing and wonderful to watch. And my dad didn't fall asleep! Which is saying something in itself. I look forward to the next film. I just love science-fiction! Expand
  89. Jul 26, 2014
    The Dawn of the Planet of the Apes was an entertaining movie although the first Rise of the Planet of the Apes was better this movie did follow the plot line and continue the story of the Apes and Human sharing planet earth. At times the movie did drag on slightly but overall it was entertaining and the visual effects and costume work was excellent. If your a fan of the series both old and new this movie will not disappoint. Expand
  90. Jul 26, 2014
    These are the ones! These are the blockbusters with depth that are often missing in our big screens. The first part "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" was surprisingly good, when nobody seemed to care after the disaster of a movie that Tim Burton created years ago. It was emotional and beautiful. Now, this second part of the new reboot manages to surpass expectations and gets the whole reboot to a new level. It keeps being very emotional and with a lot depth, but also, it gets dark and intense, even brutal in some way. It´s very well thought out and makes you want more after an intense but soft ending. It feels short and you are in the moment it starts thanks to the incredible new world they show us, with apes riding horses and haunting. It´s spectacular and rough. Incredible what they have achieved with the way apes look and act. Probably the best blockbuster of 2014 so far. Expand
  91. Jul 26, 2014
    Effects and creature design give my inner fanboy an urge to climb something and yell, "This is the most awesome thing I've ever seen!" What makes it truly change the summer blockbusters game, though, are the emotions invested by the motion capture tech. Not only do the apes express their feelings convincingly, the script - to a large extent - prioritizes drama and subtext. We are, however, also treated to some killer setpieces (e.g., the tank scene). You, Matt Reeves, can be my wingape any time. Expand
  92. Jul 26, 2014
    Dawn of the planet apes is a true cinematic summer blockbuster experience ..this movie sure brings great ground into the planet apes franchise ..I was a fan of the of the rise of the planet apes that came out in 2011 and I was expecting this movie to be even bigger and I wasn't disappointed.. the movie itself is beautiful followed by great performances of the apes .. the scenary is very poignant ..and every other aspect of the movie is pretty good this deserves at lest a 85/100 for me Expand
  93. Jul 25, 2014
    Dawn of The Planet of the Apes continues the tradition of great, classic re-imagining of the Apes franchise. No more 'cheesy' makeup..with this installment, the apes are rendered with the help of mo-cap, to incredible life like detail. Serkis proves himself as one of the greatest actor since Lon Chaney, hiding his features under digital 'make up' to deliver a great performance as Ceasar, the leader of the apes. His performance is so remarkable that you'll be swept away in this tale. While it touches the 'usual, cliched' storyline in typical clash of civilizations type of film, it is a great blockbuster filled with great characterization and spectacle. Expand
  94. Jul 25, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I Love This Movie!!!! Matt Reeves is the Future of Hollywood Blockbusteres because of this amazing movie. I enjoyed his work such as Let Me In and Cloverfield. Expand
  95. Jul 25, 2014
    Best movie of the year so far!! Enjoyed this movie so much nothing I can complain about. The action was amazing and kept me gripped to my seat the whole time. The special effects are some of the best I have ever seen in a movie. The characters and story were amazing and just the right amount of drama to make this an amazing movie all around.
  96. Jul 24, 2014
    This movie was terrible. The overwhelming positive reviews are misleading, as this was 2 wasted hours and $27 for two Ultra AVX tickets I will never get back.
  97. Jul 24, 2014
    The opening looks like "World War Z" promising thing. Then, it turns out the flu thing was not the main of the movie. The CGI monkeys were amazing. I wish the future Jurassic World #upcoming will learn from this movie. The drama plot is really move my heart. It's a breath-taking. Until the end, me and my bf still wonders who's the name of Caesar first son. Which means, the plot was made enchant us. It's an epic story and so many moral views I discovered. There were kids just went out from previous showtime before me, and they just had this remarkable 'deep conversation' of this movie. These kids learned well. Or, the movie gave them a flawless show. Two story-sides in the whole one time show, and the ending was showing the 'pretty much' misunderstanding reason of world war could began. How original... but, still it's a fact from reality situation of our world war, now. It really has the same great quality with the first movie. I mean, come on, people, this second movie even gives us the details and new stuffs. New and best stuffs. While in the middle of the screen, I got this feeling, "It feels like I watch LOTR:The Two Towers. I found amazing CGI and amazing new storyline." THAT's WHAT WE NEED FROM SEQUEL QUALITY!!!!

As I said before, if you guys think this movie lack of something, it must be the thrilling of human being chased by the monkeys, right? My favorite part was the building hide and seek, but as I said before, too short scene. If there still flu victims who still struggle to be alive, I bet this movie could get 10 points from me. But, those my wild-mind plot got paid by Gary Oldman heart-breaking crying scene. :'"((((

GIVE GARY OLDMAN AN OSCAR!!!!
  98. Jul 24, 2014
    Absolutely phenomenal, the first thing to be noted about this film is just how good the visual effects are. To be honest after the initial wow factor you completely forget that the apes aren't really actors. They look fantastic in the different weather scenarios. Only when you see an animated bear and an animated monkey do you feel like you are watching some moving pixels. The story itself is extremely gripping, an emotional roller-coaster which could be deemed a little predictable but at the same time has enough about it in terms of imagery and great directing to get away with any obvious twists or turns. A wonderful movie which might be hard to top in the next instalment. Expand
  99. Jul 24, 2014
    Probable the best movie from the past 2 or 3 years, with the most real looking cgi ive seen and a great plot, the presents a movie to be in awe about.
  100. Jul 24, 2014
    Far and away the best movie of the summer. It all goes back to storytelling. This crew didn't sit back and rest on its tech laurels. Serkis is amazing, but the writing and the directing are top notch. Remember the first Apes movie? Not in this franchise. The Tim Burton fiasco? We've come a long way, baby.

1. Reviewed by: Daniel Green
    Jul 14, 2014
    A satisfying balance of family drama, political intrigue and all-out action (an ape cavalry charge has to be seen to be believed) do, in truth, only constitute half of the story, as Reeves' sci-fi sequel is as much a technical triumph as a narrative one.
  2. Reviewed by: Ian Nathan
    Jul 14, 2014
    A superbly mounted, powerfully performed, if slightly underfed Apes sequel. That Reeves is set to direct Untitled Of The Planet Of The Apes next is cause for much celebration. This guy’s fur real. No pun intended.
  3. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    Jul 14, 2014
    What is missing from the film is wit—the deep wit that comes from playing off species and environments against each other.