Day Night Day Night

5.7

1. SteveS.
    Jun 1, 2007
    Deliberately blank motivation and minimalist production, with seemingly half the picture in closeups of the star, work better as an abstract notion than in the result on screen. Dramatically, the end product is a do-it-yourself chore for the audience, more interesting as an experiment than as an artwork - sort of "The Blair Witch Project" of terrorist movies. If you want to see the same Deliberately blank motivation and minimalist production, with seemingly half the picture in closeups of the star, work better as an abstract notion than in the result on screen. Dramatically, the end product is a do-it-yourself chore for the audience, more interesting as an experiment than as an artwork - sort of "The Blair Witch Project" of terrorist movies. If you want to see the same topic treated much more viscerally on a similarly low level of resources, rent "Cavite." That's genuinely horrifying. Expand
  2. LindaL.
    Jun 12, 2007
    The comparison with "Blair Witch Project" is inspired! All our Islamic (?) heroine needed was a runny nose. We don't know anything about the young woman who's the lead, except that she feels she's making a worthy sacrifice so her life/death will mean something. But despite her exquisitely expressive face, we're denied any sort of dramatic payoff, and are left feeling The comparison with "Blair Witch Project" is inspired! All our Islamic (?) heroine needed was a runny nose. We don't know anything about the young woman who's the lead, except that she feels she's making a worthy sacrifice so her life/death will mean something. But despite her exquisitely expressive face, we're denied any sort of dramatic payoff, and are left feeling as dejected as she. Expand
  3. Nov 22, 2015
    Riveting and suspenseful without even doing much- this movie plays on deeply felt fears and anxieties and then ruins your life. I loved it but hated it because it wrecked me. Well done.

1. Unlike the Dardennes or the best practitioners of political cinema, Loktev possesses almost zero political acumen, and her film ends up resembling nothing more than a well-calibrated performance piece, as vacuous as its confused protagonist.
  2. Shows tremendous control and discipline, especially for a young filmmaker on her first feature. Director Julia Loktev might be working on a profoundly low budget, but her camera work and lighting are precise and imaginative.
  3. Reviewed by: Justin Chang
    Context and psychological insight are the major casualties of Day Night Day Night, a dramatically limited but strangely powerful portrait of a young would-be terrorist.