Death to Smoochy

6.8

1. Feb 7, 2013
    Death to Smoochy is easily one of my favorite movies of all time. Hilarious from start to finish and one heck of a good black comedy. I would highly recommend it.
  2. AndrewE.
    Sep 17, 2002
    Could've been better, but still quite funny. Norton and Williams are great as usual as their incredibly strange characters.
  3. MichaelF.
    Mar 30, 2002
    Absolutely hysterical! I was laughing my ass off!
  4. JayS.
    Sep 24, 2002
    What are these people thinking? Death to Smoochy was probably one of the funniest movies i've seen in a while. I mean come on people! Edward Norton in a giant fuscia hippo suit is enough to crack me up. Godforbid a movie is a comedy and doesn't have a bunch of teens that can't act in it! Oh NO!
  5. ScottM.
    May 8, 2003
    I agree with C. C. At first I couldn't even understand the humor but then I suddenly realize that this movie is honestly funny! I didn't like Robin Williams part though. But overall again.
  6. NatalieB.
    Jun 15, 2003
    I thought this film was halarious! I guess some people just don't understand the humor!
  7. ByronL
    Dec 7, 2007
    One of the best comedies ever. Dark and crazy. A definite must see.
  8. C.C.
    Oct 16, 2002
    It was the greatest. I could see where some people wouldn't get the humor in it. But it is dark comedy. And I thought it was hillarious!!
  9. DavidL.
    Mar 31, 2002
    Mr. Marc B, I think you are wrong. This film is hysterical! Nowhere in your review does it state any paticular reason for loathing this wonderful film.
  10. AMovieCritic
    Oct 17, 2003
    It was funny. Hilariously funny. But when it wasn't, it had a cool plot, and a surprising-yet still not too surprising- ending. Definitely recommend this movie.
  11. WillS.
    Aug 23, 2004
    This movie will outlast its critics and detractors. It's packed full of laugh-out-loud lines and strikes a balance between a heartfelt message and a wickedly funny storyline.
  12. JacobR.
    Jul 29, 2009
    This movie is hilarious and clever. I could watch it over and over again.
  13. Oct 26, 2010
    this movie is hilarious and very entertaining. you guys should like this.
  14. Nov 19, 2011
    This movie is priceless to me, Its a cult classic. Solid cast, Hilariously funny, original plot. Why people hate it, I have no idea. I think it was great.
  15. Jul 7, 2011
    This movie delivers what it promises, a zaney dark comedy about all these Barney like shows. It is silly but clever, it has good points it has bad points. You just need to sit back, not take it so seriously and run with the premise. If you do that this movie is a good time.
  16. Nov 25, 2011
    My Favourite movie in the whole world is Death to Smoochy. My second favourite is A Clocwork Orange. My third favourite is Apocolapse now. My fourth favourite is Life is Beautiful. Then it;s Hedwig and the Angry inch ...
  17. Apr 21, 2013
    Death to Smoochy is the most ambiguously hysterical unique story ever cinematically portrayed! It is not a simplistic plot (as is Napoleon Dynamite) so one must have as least HALF a brain to engage intelligently with the four plot lines sequentially. Ergo if one likes Napoleon Dynamite it is quite logical the the one who does could not possibly comprehend Smoochy. You must also realizeDeath to Smoochy is the most ambiguously hysterical unique story ever cinematically portrayed! It is not a simplistic plot (as is Napoleon Dynamite) so one must have as least HALF a brain to engage intelligently with the four plot lines sequentially. Ergo if one likes Napoleon Dynamite it is quite logical the the one who does could not possibly comprehend Smoochy. You must also realize that comedy is quite difficult to rate for the sole reason that comedy is extremely personal. Numerous things might make you laugh that would make others bored or irritated. However, drama contains universal emotional magnets... Virtually everything that makes you cry will create the same emotion in the rest of us. Hence, intellect and comedy connect. The cast of this movie contains very interesting and funny members. Robin Williams can become any character in a millisecond. He is incredible! Anyone that has rated this unique movie a zero, has matched the rating with their own intelligence quotient! Watch it again with an open mind... OH NO don't do that then the rest of your intellect may leak out! (and you may not have much to spare so be very very careful with that opening). I can't wait to see this movie again! Expand
  18. Dec 21, 2013
    One of my favorite movies ever. Just goes to show that critics can easily get jaded and can't predict cult classics. What is there to dislike about this?

This black-comic assault on family entertainment is going to set a lot of teeth on edge -- If only his (De Vito's) material were better this time.
  2. Starts out as such a deliciously savage satire of TV kiddie shows that it's a shame it swerves out of control and over the top, sliding into tedium before pulling together for a clever, if protracted, finish.
  3. Williams, going full throttle as the desperate deposed kiddie icon Rainbow Ralph, is, well, simply exhausting.