Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation | Release Date: July 15, 1988
5.5
Mixed or average reviews based on 636 Ratings
WATCH NOW
imthenoobDec 7, 2012
How can you not like Die Hard? As I said for First Blood, It's one of the best action movies of all time and is a must watch for all action film fans.
JuanoloApr 2, 2012
First off, I would give this a 9.5 out of 10. Acting is great. The villian is great, and Bruce Willis is awesome. The story is really good, and the score is really good. The action sequences are great. This is such a great, intense, actionFirst off, I would give this a 9.5 out of 10. Acting is great. The villian is great, and Bruce Willis is awesome. The story is really good, and the score is really good. The action sequences are great. This is such a great, intense, action movie. Overall, this is a great action movie. It's really good. You should go see it. Highly recommended. Expand
johnmcclaneJan 26, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is truly an piece of cinema. Bruce Willis was excellent as the perfect NYPD detective John McClane. That Hans Gruber got what was coming for him. Expand
MarcusL.Jan 5, 2009
The best of the four Die Hards. Bruce Willis as John McClain was great. /the action and humor made this movie great and the best Die Hard.
1 of 1 users found this helpful
marcmyworksDec 8, 2013
Not only one of the best action films of all time but also one of the best Christmas films of all times. I love that is also features Reginald VelJohnson from 'Family Matters' fame.
beingryanjudeAug 28, 2014
The ultimate Bruce Willis action-flick straight out of the 1980s. Die Hard is no doubt a roller coaster of thrills, but it is all a bit familiar. Nevertheless, Alan Rickman's villainous portrayal will long be remembered.
Iserlohn14Dec 18, 2016
Let's not mince words, this is one of the best Christmas movies ever. "Fists with your toes!" Seeing young Bruce Willis again after all these years is always a laugh, but he really sells the "everyman" role well, and his scenes with his wifeLet's not mince words, this is one of the best Christmas movies ever. "Fists with your toes!" Seeing young Bruce Willis again after all these years is always a laugh, but he really sells the "everyman" role well, and his scenes with his wife are surprisingly moving too. An action movie with heart! Expand
grandpajoe6191Sep 18, 2011
Director John McTiernan's "Die Hard" is one of those original one-man macho action movies that have brainless fun and a surprisingly deep character depth. It certainly is a masterpiece.
TheNewSpielbergApr 2, 2011
German terrorists, a skyscraper, Christmas Eve and LA. When these elements are combined, you get Die Hard, a 1988 rip-roaring action epic that shot Bruce Willis to international fame. The plot is delightfully simple; John McClane is a NewGerman terrorists, a skyscraper, Christmas Eve and LA. When these elements are combined, you get Die Hard, a 1988 rip-roaring action epic that shot Bruce Willis to international fame. The plot is delightfully simple; John McClane is a New York cop who is visiting his wife Holly in LA during Christmas Eve. He meets up with her at her business company's Christmas party. All goes well until a few uninvited guests in the form of creepy terrorists seize control of the building and take all 30 of the guests hostage, demanding a ransom. McClane, in the bathroom at their time of arrival, escapes into the unfinished skyscraper armed only with his standard issue 9mm at his disposal. His main objective; find out what the hell is going on. His only help is a flatfooted cop on the ground played by Reginald VelJohnson of Family Matters. Along the way, he is listening to radio messages between the villains with a stolen walkie talkie in an attempt to figure out their nefarious plan. Alan Rickman is great as Hans Gruber, leader of the baddies, and delivers a performance he echoes in the Harry Potter films as Prof. Severus Snape. One of the best movie villains of all time. This festival of explosions, guns and epic battles was directed by John McTiernan, famous already for the original Predator. He delivers a movie that entertains as well as it shocks. In particular, the sequence in which one of the hostages attempts to save his own life by offering McClane to the terrorists. Correctly anticipating a liar, Hans shoots him in the head. The film was one of the biggest box office hits of the 1980s and spawned three sequels throughout the 1990s and 2000s, firmly placing John McClane as an action hero alongside the Terminator and Rambo. Also, it is the best Christmas movie ever made. Expand
SachiNov 20, 2011
Die Hard is flat-out amazing, it is a great action movie that is nice for the holidays. The plot is great and Bruce Willis' acting is hands-down amazing along with the antogonists' acting, this creates for an intense and gripping movie. TheDie Hard is flat-out amazing, it is a great action movie that is nice for the holidays. The plot is great and Bruce Willis' acting is hands-down amazing along with the antogonists' acting, this creates for an intense and gripping movie. The dialogue is all great and I kept wanting to know what would happen next as it is that intense. The violence and action is well-played out and very entertaining, it is a great watch. The flaws are that the story sometimes slows down and this can be annoying but this happens rarely and is uncommon. Overall "Die Hard" is a great movie that action junkies must watch as well as a great entertainment fix for anyone that watches it. Breakdown for "Die Hard": Presentation: 9.2, Plot: 9.0, Acting: 9.5, Dialogue: 8.7, Lasting Appeal: 9.2, Verdict: 9.1 out of 10 "Amazing" Expand
LoRevisorFeb 25, 2015
Em 1988 um ano após o excelente filme policial Máquina Mortífera,Era criado mais um excelente filme e franquia policial com ótimas sequências.
Duro De Matar um suspense de ação,Arrasador cheio de ação e com excelentes atuações do até então novato Bruce Willis,Alan Rickman incrível como o antagonista Hans Gruber,Reginald VelJohnson como Al Power,e Bonnie Bedelia como Holly GeNerro.
MovieGuysSep 15, 2013
In 1988, when Die Hard came out, my parents and a family friend went to see it in New York City in a big theater. The movie was so crowded, they all did not even get to sit together. (And I don't even think it was opening weekend!) Take thatIn 1988, when Die Hard came out, my parents and a family friend went to see it in New York City in a big theater. The movie was so crowded, they all did not even get to sit together. (And I don't even think it was opening weekend!) Take that into consideration for how big a movie this was back then and still is.

Die Hard is the best action movie, and probably my favorite movie, with a close second or tie with The Shawshank Redemption.

Die Hard combines well-executed action scenes with cheesy but iconic one-liners and a great main character. As sarcastic, profane, and messed up John McClane is, you have to find yourself rooting for him.

Bruce Willis, Alan Rickman, and Bonnie Bedelia, Reginald Veljohnson, and many others will have their acting skills defined by this movie forever. After all, it definitely gave a career boost to some, although Willis already had a nice acting resume on his plate. Nevertheless, it redefined the whole genre.

Action movies consist of a bunch of key elements that come together to form a coherent picture. (At least I hope it will be coherent, as some tend to fail at this process.) They combine action scenes (obviously), at least a couple one-liners, a car (there's always a car or some kind of vehicle), a villain, and usually an explosion or two. Or three. All of these elements and many more were all in Die Hard, and it kind of changed the genre for good. You will hear people say "Oh, that movie is a Die Hard rip-off", or "That stunt was first made famous in Die Hard." It's not that action movies didn't have these elements before Die Hard, it's just that Die Hard made them better and/or famous.

Die Hard will keep you on the edge of your seat, and is an extremely well-done picture that doesn't lag or slow down at all. It eases into the action in such a way that it feels natural and not forced or unnecessary.
JamesM.Dec 20, 2005
Absolute garbage. Andrew M., yes, I did enjoy it, when I first saw it when I was 8. Quite a few years down the track, now that I am past puberty, I find to to be trash.
4 of 29 users found this helpful
JaredC.Aug 12, 2007
Bruce Willis, well done, your humor is flowing with the character and makes everyone in the audience at least smile, laugh, or find it funny.
0 of 1 users found this helpful
ArkonBladeOct 27, 2010
just a fun film thats over the top and the king of 80s action films . bruce willis comes off as the every man who is **** , funny , and just in over his head but just plods on through this fun action packed adventure .
muzzikloverMar 6, 2011
An action film at it's peak finesse and a perfect Christmas movie. Action; absolutely awesome, acting; memorable and quotable- need I say more about this film? It is too damn good to give it the highest praise.
DinozzoJun 24, 2012
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It may look like a stupid action movie to judgmental snobs, but if you payed attention and/or read the book you would be see the depth of this movie, from John doing quick scan of all the empty floors as he's escaping from the terrorists at the beginning of the movie, to the genuine look of horror in Alan Rickman's eyes as he falls. Expand
LaMagiadeVirueAug 16, 2013
La mejor película de acción de la historia. No hay mucho mas para decir, solamente que es una sinfonía de Bethoven la película. Que buen rato pasé mirándola por primera vez, así que decidí verla de nuevo y me puso los pelos de punta con losLa mejor película de acción de la historia. No hay mucho mas para decir, solamente que es una sinfonía de Bethoven la película. Que buen rato pasé mirándola por primera vez, así que decidí verla de nuevo y me puso los pelos de punta con los tiros. Un lujo. Expand
dyshpoJul 30, 2013
Best movie of the hostage action shooter movie cool fast hitting scope and range u actually feel the chemistry between the characters and cast not like some recant bull
DuckNationMay 25, 2014
Die Hard has to be one of the greatest Christmas movies of all time the fact that its also a brilliant action film makes it absolutely amazing. Of course this is the best Die Hard in the franchise and after you watch the newest one it makesDie Hard has to be one of the greatest Christmas movies of all time the fact that its also a brilliant action film makes it absolutely amazing. Of course this is the best Die Hard in the franchise and after you watch the newest one it makes you love this movie even more but also sad to see how the franchise dwindled. Bruce Willis and Alan Rickman are phenomenal together they brought both of their characters to life with their amazing acting to a point where you want to root for both of them to win. Bruce Willis as John McClane was so enjoyable because of how real the character felt rather then a normal super hero main character that you dont care for they made him just a regular guy so that you connect more with him then you would with a emotionless main guy out for blood like many movies in this genre. Die Hard was Alan Rickman's first movie and what an impression he made with his slick acting as the main villain Hans Gruber a guy you start to love throughout because of how cold and calculating he is. He later went on to be in many high profile movies and is now one of my favorite actors.

Overall i give it a solid 10 This is for sure the best Christmas action movie of all time i dont care what anyone says. I watched it when i was young and i plan to watch it when im old no doubt about that.
talisencrwAug 13, 2016
Just watched this inexplicably for the first time, after having seen and adoring its first two sequels. As a teenager when this hit theatres, I never really felt the urge or inclination to see this at the time. Action films weren't big for meJust watched this inexplicably for the first time, after having seen and adoring its first two sequels. As a teenager when this hit theatres, I never really felt the urge or inclination to see this at the time. Action films weren't big for me back then. Now as a father of a teenager myself, it's interesting seeing what's now considered 'a classic' for the first time.

This easily deserves its lofty status as one of the finest action movies ever made, especially of the 80's. Alan Rickman, now deceased, played with distinction one of the finest cinematic villains ever. This film--closely followed by 'Pulp Fiction'--is the most important work Bruce Willis ever made.

I enthusiastically hope that should someday Willis either leave this plain or decide not to make any more DH films that they simply put the franchise to rest. He was born to play this character. Anyone else in his shoes could never fit the iconic bill.
heeldavidJul 5, 2014
One of the best action films of all time, Bruce Willis puts on a very charismatic performance. Alan Rickman also puts on a nice villainous performance
SkyrimGuy935Sep 28, 2014
I love me an action classic. And Die Hard is the definition of that. One of the most relatable main characters ever, gunfights that will have you on the edge of your seat, and, for lack of better words, a f*cking awesome villain. And let'sI love me an action classic. And Die Hard is the definition of that. One of the most relatable main characters ever, gunfights that will have you on the edge of your seat, and, for lack of better words, a f*cking awesome villain. And let's not forget John's good old catchphrase. Yippe-Ki-Yay mother f*cker!

9.8/10
Zanessa250QIApr 4, 2016
.........................................................................................................Have so much Graceless PUBLIC that vote in Metacritic that i think WTF???....

5.6/10 For this classic, the people who do it is

5.6/10 For this classic, the people who do it is Graceless or Idiot, only these two things
raciocinioOct 21, 2015
I Don't Understand???? This the first one of Die Hard Series is 10000x times better than the second,and the second have a better score of user, what is the problem with this....
StevenSMar 9, 2007
Just really one of the greatest action movies ever made.
[Anonymous]Feb 9, 2006
This action thriller relies as much on suspense as it does on action. No doubt this will entertain most anyone who watches it. And where else do you get an action film that doubles as a Christmas movie?
CoryH.Jul 4, 2006
Anyone watching Die Hard expecting philosophical expostion will be horribly dissapointed. Anybody who just wants to have a great time watching a good movie will get there just desserts. I have lost track of how many times I have seen this Anyone watching Die Hard expecting philosophical expostion will be horribly dissapointed. Anybody who just wants to have a great time watching a good movie will get there just desserts. I have lost track of how many times I have seen this flick, and truly don't even remember the first time since it has been so long, but I do know that I get a thrill out of watching it every single time! That is what makes a movie good. And John McTiernan, where o where have you gone? Expand
CoreyJ.Jul 10, 2008
One of the best action movies ever made. I'm 22 and just saw it for the first time. I'm kind of a movie buff, and I'm interested in all genres. The people who bash this movie seem to be pretentious jackasses. Die Hard is what One of the best action movies ever made. I'm 22 and just saw it for the first time. I'm kind of a movie buff, and I'm interested in all genres. The people who bash this movie seem to be pretentious jackasses. Die Hard is what it is: an action movie. If features ridiculously large explosions, brawls that would leave any real human being dead or permanently crippled, and unbelievable stunts. Everything that's expected from an action movie, but it also has a bit of heart. You care about the characters and the villains are trite but still believable and not completely one-dimensional. Excellent acting. It also gives us one of the best movie lines ever: " Yippee-ki-yay, motherfucker. Expand
PatrickB.Nov 23, 2007
One of the best Christmas movies ever made. Also one of the best action flicks ever made. Well thought out plot, with great dialog and character interaction. If you think about it, there hasn't been a better action movie made since. One of the best Christmas movies ever made. Also one of the best action flicks ever made. Well thought out plot, with great dialog and character interaction. If you think about it, there hasn't been a better action movie made since. It's arguable that it's the best ever as I can't think of one that rocks as much as this while staying realistic. I'd be amazed if Hollywood ever tops it. Expand