6.3

1. Feb 27, 2011
    After watching this horrible movie for thirty minutes, I decided to keep watching just to see how bad a movie can get. I have met many women in my lifetime, and I am pretty sure that each and every one of them would be creeped out to the max by a character as depicted by Malkovich. None would even remotely think of even touching this weirdo. There is absolutely zero chemistry between him and the student, why would she sleep with him ? And why would she turn on him ? She seems utterly disgusted by him right from the start, which is quite understandable, yet she starts a relationship with him. I think I have seldom seen such bad acting in a movie before, the dialogue is just not real, you can tell the lines are rehearsed. The main problem is that the main character is so full of himself that after about 2 minutes, you do not care any more what happens to him. Expand
  2. wwh
    Aug 2, 2011
    Re: "seems quite disgusted by him right from the start, which is quite understandable, yet she starts a relationship with him", that´s exactly the Point, which you seem to have missed entirely, Harold Bloom.

1. Reviewed by: Gautaman Bhaskaran
    The story often appears a little unreal.
  2. Reviewed by: Eddie Cockrell
    Anchored by another marvelously quirky yet deadly serious performance from John Malkovich, and likely to be relished by the fan base of J.M. Coetzee's Booker Prize-winning novel, this is a strong, perceptive, old-school arthouse picture.
  3. Reviewed by: Ella Taylor
    The austere economy of Coetzee's writing, crisply adapted for the screen by Anna Maria Monticelli, plays out the melodrama with quietly brooding menace.