Divergent

5.9

1. Mar 22, 2014
    Being a fan of the series, this movie, in all candor, was not really well put together. Yes, it was a decent movie, but they could have done much better. There are a lot of scenes that were left out and some scenes that were just really sloppy. The book is much better, but it's still worth a try, even if you've read the book or not. If I hadn't read the book, my score probably would haveBeing a fan of the series, this movie, in all candor, was not really well put together. Yes, it was a decent movie, but they could have done much better. There are a lot of scenes that were left out and some scenes that were just really sloppy. The book is much better, but it's still worth a try, even if you've read the book or not. If I hadn't read the book, my score probably would have been higher, but since I did, this movie gets a 7/10 from me. Expand
  2. Mar 24, 2014
    We are presented with yet another distopian society. The film tells the story of a young lady who doesn't quite fit in. The story is entertaining and I would watch it again. Here society is divided into groups and when a person is young they are encouraged to join the group that fits their temperament. This is more action less sci-fi than other films in this genre.
  3. Apr 17, 2014
    I'm giving 8 to the movie because as a person that has read the book I felt that there were some details that shouldn't have been left behind, however Im giving 8 to the movie because even when you didn't read the book you'll understand it without trying too hard and they were kind of true to the book, they weren't mayor changes so yeah, I'm looking forward to Insurgent :).
  4. Aug 2, 2014
    I went into this movie with no pretext of intentions. Well, no, that's not actually true, I went in thinking it was going to suck...

Comes out around the same time as the Hunger Game sequel, deals with similar stuff...yeah, ripoff, don't care whatever... Honestly? It wasn't that bad... Sure, there's a bit of a hunger games feel in certain spots, simply due to teens having to

Honestly? It wasn't that bad...

Sure, there's a bit of a hunger games feel in certain spots, simply due to teens having to choose factions or whatnot... but, that's not how it plays out.

It almost plays out like Equilibrium, except being from the kids point of view. It's not that they've denied emotion, just compartmentalized it.

SPOILER: I did a bit of research, and it turns out Chicago is just a big eugenics experiment, which explains a lot.

But even without that, it's not too hard to understand.

My biggest complaint is actually the acting in the 2nd half. It's weird but it almost seems like the actors/ancestresses become less comfortable with their roles as the movie goes on, as if it had been filmed in reverse.

It's not a total K.O. to the movie, but you can tell some of them are forcing their performances more than at the start.
  5. Mar 24, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I just so happened to have the opportunity to go to a private screening of Divergent on Friday morning, and I absolutely loved it! They covered nearly all the vital events in the book, but skipped over a few (some they could have incorporated into the movie) including Tris' rivalry with Peter and her friendship with Al. That's honestly the only reason why I gave it a 9. The actors chosen fit the roles extremely well, the soundtrack is just magnificent, and the movie altogether had a perfect combination of intense moments and laid back ones. I suggest reading the book before watching the movie, but since only around 50 percent of the people who watched Divergent read the book, people have still enjoyed it despite not reading the book. Expand
  6. Mar 30, 2014
    Divergent is definitely a must see for all ages. I really enjoyed it, however compared to the book it was very different, but overall it was good. I think that they cut out a lot of the good parts of what was in the books. if you have already seen the movie and read the book you will know what I'm talking about.
  7. Dec 11, 2014
    just watched this movie...Good enough for me
  8. Mar 23, 2014
    I think people are being too hard on this movie expecting the next big franchise RE: Harry Potter or The Hunger Games. People need to take it for what the books are. Which in my eyes, the books are not in HP and THG's stratosphere, but rises well above the mediocre attempts at creating literary young adult novel franchises. The divergent series is just okay as is. And this movie was goodI think people are being too hard on this movie expecting the next big franchise RE: Harry Potter or The Hunger Games. People need to take it for what the books are. Which in my eyes, the books are not in HP and THG's stratosphere, but rises well above the mediocre attempts at creating literary young adult novel franchises. The divergent series is just okay as is. And this movie was good enough. I feel like the studio succeeded because I got the same feeling from the film that I got while I was reading the book. That to me is a success enough to have made the price of admission worth it. Yes, it glossed over important plot points but really the omissions are not so critical that it ruins things. I went with two friends who didn't read the books, they understood the plot, the premise, and they're planning on seeing the all but certain sequel. Was it as good as Catching Fire? No. But I'd say it was right on par with the original hunger games
    And that to me qualifies as passable. More than passable. Shailene Woodley is a terrific choice as the lead and in my opinion she's one of the more underrated actresses in the business. Theo James did better than I expected, and I had my reservations about Miles Teller as the Peter character, but he played it just fine. His arrogance was 100 percent believable.
  9. Mar 22, 2014
    The movie adaptation of Divergent benefits from a talented cast, a spot-on visual depiction of the factions, the Dauntless Pit, and the story's urban Chicago setting. The acting ensemble is as good as the cast of The Hunger Games and vastly superior to that of Twilight and the forgettable Vampire Academy and Mortal Instruments adaptations. While Woodley doesn't fit the canon description ofThe movie adaptation of Divergent benefits from a talented cast, a spot-on visual depiction of the factions, the Dauntless Pit, and the story's urban Chicago setting. The acting ensemble is as good as the cast of The Hunger Games and vastly superior to that of Twilight and the forgettable Vampire Academy and Mortal Instruments adaptations. While Woodley doesn't fit the canon description of Tris, she captures the character's mix of vulnerability and courage, her desire to be independent in a world that demands conformity. And although heartthrob Theo James is almost too manly looking for Woodley's doe-eyed ingenue, he definitely gets the job done as the intensely serious Four. But the movie doesn't live up to the hype or the potential of the written series. The Dauntless initiation process isn't as violent or emotional on the screen as it is on the page, and neither is the buildup of the Tris and Four romance or Tris' friendship with her fellow transfer initiates. Considering the two-and-a-half-hour runtime, there are parts that drag on and yet aspects of the book that seem surprisingly cut. The performances (Winslet is fabulous as the icy Erudite leader, and Zoe Kravitz, Maggie Q, and Jai Courtney are all true to the spirit of their characters) make up for some of the pacing and screenwriting issues, but overall this adaptation falls short of fan expectations. Still, tweens and teens who've read the books should absolutely see the movies and hope the second and third installments fare better. Expand
  10. Apr 4, 2014
    From what I've watched, whether or not you've read the book or not, Divergent is simply a love it or hate it film.

I thoroughly enjoyed the film, and it might just make me go and read the book.
  11. Mar 31, 2014
    Usually, I write a short review of every movie I watch. But I had a lot of things to say about the movie so here goes.....

Before I start, I would like to say, shame on the critics. Sure, it's may be just their opinions but some of the critics' reviews I have read said that they haven't read the book yet. Critics are journalists and they should do their research a little. Don't just sit there, watch the movie and judge it without some research. And also, are they really expecting Divergent to have the same epic feeling as The Hunger Games? Seriously? We all should know Divergent trilogy won't be brilliant as The Hunger Games trilogy.

Some of the elements from the book have to be removed for the movie. It's pretty common these days. As a fan, I understand. But what ticks me a little is that two of the important elements have to be removed in the movie. I won't mention one of them because it's a huge spoiler but I will mention the other one. Two of the characters (as I can remember) are removed in this movie and those characters were Uriah and Edward. While I am disappointed about it, I can easily forgive this part unlike The Hunger Games where Maggie is completely cut off and she has some importance to the overall trilogy despite her small appearance. Okay, enough dropping THG references. :)))))

What I like though is that they kept the final act of the movie justice to the final chapters of the book, except one part which I am not going to tell. But still, it's like what I imagined in the books.

Most of the cast' performance are okay except Shailene Woodley and Theo James. Their performances were excellent! They are the highlight of the whole movie. I am glad they took their roles as Tris Prior and Four Eaton. If you're still complaining how Theo is quite older than Four, seriously get a life. And oh, let's not forget Kate Winslet! Her signature English accent is not noticeable there so she did her role well. And Theo as well, another English actor.

And lastly, the pace and the plot of the movie. It's just entertaining enough with its action-packed scenes for non-readers so that's something despite some of the plot holes that some non-readers are going to question.

I can't wait for Insurgent!!!! (And oh, non-readers, try to read the books. ;)
  12. Mar 21, 2014
    I could not have picked a better cast or director for this movie. Neil burger executed this pretty darn well, and the book to movie adaptation was amazing. I am a fan of the books, and I loved this movie. A must see for everyone, book readers and non book readers. Everyone in the theatre was having a good time, and that is the real reason of movies (to me).
  13. Jul 24, 2014
    I watched this movie with no expectations, and Wow... this is film is an eye pleaser! I very much enjoyed the story, can't wait to see the sequels Insurgent and Allegiant Parts 1 & 2! Neil Burger did a great job directing! Top notch action, drama, sci-fi film so far this year...!
  14. Mar 24, 2014
    DIVERGENT is a thrilling action-adventure film set in a world where people are divided into distinct factions based on human virtues. Tris Prior (Shailene Woodley) is warned she is Divergent and will never fit into any one group. When she discovers a conspiracy by a faction leader (Kate Winslet) to destroy all Divergents, Tris must learn to trust in the mysterious Four (Theo James) andDIVERGENT is a thrilling action-adventure film set in a world where people are divided into distinct factions based on human virtues. Tris Prior (Shailene Woodley) is warned she is Divergent and will never fit into any one group. When she discovers a conspiracy by a faction leader (Kate Winslet) to destroy all Divergents, Tris must learn to trust in the mysterious Four (Theo James) and together they must find out what makes being Divergent so dangerous before it's too late Expand
  15. Mar 26, 2014
    It was actually a pretty good movie. I have never read the book or really knew what to expect from the story. The movie really puts you at the edge of your seat the whole time. There's a lot of action and the fighting scenes were entertaining. The plot/setting was sort of a mixture of Hunger Games (dystopian world where kids fight) with similar class discrimination as Harry Potter (kidsIt was actually a pretty good movie. I have never read the book or really knew what to expect from the story. The movie really puts you at the edge of your seat the whole time. There's a lot of action and the fighting scenes were entertaining. The plot/setting was sort of a mixture of Hunger Games (dystopian world where kids fight) with similar class discrimination as Harry Potter (kids take a test and choose which class they belong to). I really think there's a lot of potential for this franchise to take off in the future with subsequent movies especially since the cast is pretty strong. Expand
  16. Apr 17, 2014
    Divergent is a fantastic movie in my opinion and I cannot wait for the next film Insurgent. I know that people have been saying that it is a Hunger Games rip off but they are wrong. It may have some similar themes to the Hunger Games they are different films.
    On the subject of similarities between films most films that come out nowadays are complete rubbish and they are mostly copies of earlier films.
  17. Aug 19, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Meh...
    Its pretty good...
    I watched the movie, then read the book, like a swag person, so keep that in mind...
    From a movie standpoint, its pretty good. The actors are not well known, but they are pretty good. Its well written and all, and everything is done well.
    Because Metacritic doesn't have book reviews, well, this will serve as my review for the book as well.
    Its good. The story is quite interesting. Chicago is one of the last remnants of civilization. Some war happened, of which the book speaks very little, and the city has divided into 5 factions. There is the dauntless, the faction to which the book revolves around, who believed that the world ended due to cowardice, therefore, they serve as the army. Then there are the ones who believed stupidity was the cause, and they serve as the smart people. Then there is the ones who believe it was liars, who serve as the justice system. Then there is the Mormon farmers, who believed sadness was the cause, and then the people who think it was due to people not conforming, who serve as the Gov't. Anyway, the whole thing about the book is that people take a test to determine which faction they belong in. But then there are those who don't belong in any, and are called divergent. They are considered a threat to the system of gov't because they can think and break the simulation, and well, ya. The protagonist is one of the Divergent. She chooses the army people, and half of the book/movie is based around her training. Then 2nd half of the book/movie is based around how the smart people try to take over the gov't by using the army with brainwashing and lots of killing. Granted,i've spoiled a lot of stuff already, but there is some interesting plot twists and turns and all that stuffs. Anyway, its a pretty good book/movie, and well, is a lot like hunger games. If you liked hunger games, you will like this. Simple.
  18. Jul 25, 2014
    Divergent is one the most intense films I have seen all year, I have never read the books but Shailene Woodley, Theo James, Miles Tiller, Kate Winslet (Basically everyone in this movie) did a great job, even with similarities it is enough with its own thing.
  19. Jul 24, 2014
    Definitely I love this movie very interesting and as a viewer I could understand what the movie is all about. To me I prefer this movie to Hunger games. I can recommend Divergent to anybody to watch.
  20. Mar 21, 2014
    Definitely a must see movie to see. The Thursday first run show was crowded, and this was people paying $12,25 to see this movie in the Titan X theater. I didn't get to read the book, but I enjoyed the storyline of the movie. They picked the perfect actors for the roles! I will definitely go and read the 2nd book to see what will be coming up in the next movie! Don't miss this one. :)
  21. Mar 21, 2014
    Despite the fact that the movie feels a touch long in its final third, I really enjoyed it – much more than I thought I would. (And no, I haven’t read the book.) The three leads - Kate Winslet, Shailene Woodley, Theo James – are uniformly excellent. Typically, actors in this type of film will realize how shallow their characters are written, and they’ll mail in their performances. NotDespite the fact that the movie feels a touch long in its final third, I really enjoyed it – much more than I thought I would. (And no, I haven’t read the book.) The three leads - Kate Winslet, Shailene Woodley, Theo James – are uniformly excellent. Typically, actors in this type of film will realize how shallow their characters are written, and they’ll mail in their performances. Not so here. Each delivers some of their finest work yet in any medium. No joke. Because of her lot as a “divergent,” Woodley is forced to hide her true nature, which means she must act within an entirely narrow and tempered band of emotions, which can be a real test for any actor – to avoid appearing as wooden. She does it with skill, and the audience, in turn, pulls for her. And James – whom I enjoyed in his short stint in the underrated Golden Boy – is the breakout star of this film. Like Woodley, he simmers in a low burn throughout. Finally, Winslet does an amazing job as the heavy. If you buy into the film, you’ll enjoy it. Walk in trying to poke holes in the story and you’ll find them. Expand
  22. Mar 21, 2014
    A must see movie! Two strong leads; both perfect actors for the role; with a good plot. I'm not a teenager, and I thoroughly enjoyed the movie; didn't even think once about possibly needing to go to the bathroom during the whole 2 hours and 20 minute movie. This movie should be a hit; possible making over 50 million this weekend; hopefully hitting 100 million.
  23. Mar 23, 2014
    This movie reminds me why we should often not worry about what the critics say. Granted it won't receive academy nominations and not too artsy or deeply thought-provoking or intellectual, but sometimes people just want to go to a movie and be entertained without having to think too much. Keep in mind I'm well beyond 40 yrs old and i do also love movies like silver linings playbook, so youThis movie reminds me why we should often not worry about what the critics say. Granted it won't receive academy nominations and not too artsy or deeply thought-provoking or intellectual, but sometimes people just want to go to a movie and be entertained without having to think too much. Keep in mind I'm well beyond 40 yrs old and i do also love movies like silver linings playbook, so you know where i'm coming from. but both my wife and i found this was one of the most entertaining movies we can remember seeing. It does draw some interesting parallels with Hunger games (which we also liked) but is a different and unique take on future humanity struggling (and failing) to control and manage society. Sadly, I worry one of the reasons this kind of storyline is ringing true to viewers these days is because our own society and leaders seem to be running off the rails themselves, and a twisted Orwellian future state seems less far-fetched than ever before... Expand
  24. Mar 29, 2014
    The critics are... unfair! The movie is great! Shailene Woodley is awesome in her role! Yeah, he's not like the book, but the adaptation is better than The Hunger Games adaptation! If you like the books, you have to see the movie! If you love Shailene Woodley, you have to see the movie! The question is... How can't you love her?
  25. Mar 21, 2014
    I love divergent. I was already a major fan of the book way before the movie came out, and I honestly was not disappointed with how the movie turned out. A great cast to a great movie.
  26. Mar 21, 2014
    This is amazingly!! The best YA MOVIE. Congradulations Neil for the best movie can I see. Veronica taks for de stores. Shailenne and Theo James are a perfect Four and Tris.
  27. Jul 6, 2014
    Good adaptation of the popular Young Adult novel. Not as good as The Hunger Games, but having a great cast help. Woodley is shaping up to become the next big thing. Worth a look.
  28. Mar 24, 2014
    Awesome movie. The movie plays with the theme that society tries to force us into a specific box when we really wish we were free to do many different things with our lives. The story exaggerates this theme by reducing people to five different personality types. Once they reach adulthood, all people are forced to choose and live by one set of rules only. The main character, Tris, does notAwesome movie. The movie plays with the theme that society tries to force us into a specific box when we really wish we were free to do many different things with our lives. The story exaggerates this theme by reducing people to five different personality types. Once they reach adulthood, all people are forced to choose and live by one set of rules only. The main character, Tris, does not fit conveniently into any one type so she is considered dangerous because she cannot be controlled. Even though this is being compared to Hunger Games (young people in combat in a dystopian future), it is actually completely different. Only the setting is the same. There were a few minor details that could have been corrected. This is a must watch for any fans of Sci-Fi, action, or even if you just like to see a female in a lead role. Loved it.
    P.S. - If you have not yet seen the trailer, watch it after the movie. It revealed a bit too much.
  29. Apr 24, 2014
    An engaging Sci Fi thriller which is a bit of a mystery at the beginning (I haven't read the book) as events don't pan out as expected. The young cast are convincingly energetic and Kate Winslet lends her well earned stature to a baddie role even if it is a somewhat unusual choice for the Oscar winner. The plot at times does strain credibility even for this genre and the inevitableAn engaging Sci Fi thriller which is a bit of a mystery at the beginning (I haven't read the book) as events don't pan out as expected. The young cast are convincingly energetic and Kate Winslet lends her well earned stature to a baddie role even if it is a somewhat unusual choice for the Oscar winner. The plot at times does strain credibility even for this genre and the inevitable blossoming romance between Woodley and James is more of the same. However, for such a long film it is consistently entertaining and for the most part it all works very nicely. Only towards the end do events veer towards extreme conventionality, but by this time one has enjoyed it too much to carp. I think the film critics saw a different movie. Expand
  30. Aug 22, 2014
    This is one of the best movies that has been made since Elysium with Matt Damon. All of the people complaining about it must be too unintelligent to realize the allegory in the movie, in addition to the cool action scenes and good screenwriting.

Even Hollywood is trying to wake us up about society, and yet people complain over the dumbest things because they don't understand the deeper meaning behind movies. and for the record, book to movie ports cannot be exact. It is a different media format that is being targeted to a different audience. I have also read the book, and yes it is better but that does not make this movie bad.

Also, this movie is nothing like Hunger Games. Hunger Games was retarded. This movie is far more realistic and intellectual.
  31. Mar 21, 2014
    As someone who hasn't read the books, I really enjoyed it. Honestly I didn't expect to like it after reading some of the reviews but it was good. Great acting from both Theo James and Shailene Woodley. I'm a fan!
  32. Apr 7, 2014
    This is such a good movie, it's far more realistic then the Hunger games and not as childish. So go to the theaters, if you haven't yet and go watch Divergent. It's only a shame that there are only three books made. But most of all the special effects are great because the first movie of this book adaption wasn't a low budget, like the hunger games, when Peeta and Katniss come in on theirThis is such a good movie, it's far more realistic then the Hunger games and not as childish. So go to the theaters, if you haven't yet and go watch Divergent. It's only a shame that there are only three books made. But most of all the special effects are great because the first movie of this book adaption wasn't a low budget, like the hunger games, when Peeta and Katniss come in on their race car. Expand
  33. Jul 21, 2014
    If you love Equilibrium, or any other sifi fantacy movie you will love this one. i love the charters and the plot however the end i really wish they had killed that one lady at the end.
  34. Aug 27, 2014
    People tend to compare Divergent to The Hunger Games. Yes you will feel that way in the beginning but after a while you will see it differently. It covers social issue, politics, action, youths and family. I love the soundtracks.
  35. Oct 15, 2015
    Divergent is a lesser Hunger Games to me. It has moments of great flash and fun, but isn't executed as masterfully. There's a really good movie series here, but that's only if the cast, direction and writing can ascend the norm. Flashy production is easy to come by, but if we scrape past the surface and the soul of this Divergent Series isn't in-tact, then it becomes a house of cards.Divergent is a lesser Hunger Games to me. It has moments of great flash and fun, but isn't executed as masterfully. There's a really good movie series here, but that's only if the cast, direction and writing can ascend the norm. Flashy production is easy to come by, but if we scrape past the surface and the soul of this Divergent Series isn't in-tact, then it becomes a house of cards. A promising start, but will it develop into something greater? Time will tell. Expand
  36. Dec 7, 2014
    When I first heard about Divergent, I though the first Hunger Games rip off was upon us, and besides that the whole story seemed somewhat confusing. It is Science Fiction and Directed by Neil Berger, the mind behind Limitless, so I decided to give it a shot, and it was the best idea I had in a long time.
    In a post war America, the city of Chicago is fenced off from the rest of the world, and has split into five factions of people. At the age of 18, all citizens must take an aptitude test, to determine where they belong. Beatrice (Shailene Woodley) is one of the girls taking the test as the movie starts, and her results show that she has an aptitude for all five factions, making her Divergent. Divergent's are highly intelligent, rebellious, and seen as a threat to the Government, so she hides her results and joins Dauntless, the equivalent of the National Guard in Chicago. During her rough training, the now renamed Trice, meets up with Four (Theo James) who she has an instant connection to, but who is also a threat to her secret identity. One thing that was never explained is why these people have to take the aptitude test, if they are allowed to join whichever faction they choose. It's a major plot hole and the only reason this film didn't receive 5 stars, as I really hate plot holes. Shailene Woodley stars as Trice, making the jump from TV to film, and she has done it with a bang. In much the same way Jennifer Lawrence was the perfect choice to play Katniss, Woodley was perfect for the role of Trice, and brought so much more to the film than I ever thought she would. Theo James is also terrific as Four, the mysterious trainer and love interest of Trice, and together the team is the perfect pair. Divergent is highly original, really well written, and introduced Hollywood to a whole slew of new stars, not to mention it's Director, Neil Burger, is on one hell of a successful run of films. Divergent has everything I look for in a film and in my favorite genre, and for that it is now one of our must see movies!
  37. Jul 27, 2014
    Not up to the caliber of " The Hunger Games" but a solid film that gives a good dose of excitement in the final 30 minutes. Divergent might be a tad long but good acting by Winslet and Woodley make for an interesting series to come.
  38. Jul 27, 2014
    While its premise is a little silly, Divergent manages to be entertaining even with noticeably bad and corny moments. I was impressed enough to be interested in what happens next.
  39. Mar 25, 2014
    I enjoyed it thoroughly, and not because i've already read the book. It's very exciting and heart-racing. I know it's a tad bit like "The Hunger Games", but there's a distinct difference about the two of them. I love Shailene Woodley and Theo James, they're the key ingredient of the movie. Plus... Kate Winslet being so cold you just don't care even a bit. Watch it and be the judge yourself.
  40. Sep 14, 2014
    Well I watched divergent...the movie I thought was just a rip off of the hunger games and...I WAS DEAD WRONG!!! let me tell you I LOVED this movie and I don't buy a lot of movies but I'm definitely picking this one up. I think it beats the hunger games by a long shot. It's darker, had me on the edge of my seat, had some feels it is just IMO better than hunger games. Let me get to theWell I watched divergent...the movie I thought was just a rip off of the hunger games and...I WAS DEAD WRONG!!! let me tell you I LOVED this movie and I don't buy a lot of movies but I'm definitely picking this one up. I think it beats the hunger games by a long shot. It's darker, had me on the edge of my seat, had some feels it is just IMO better than hunger games. Let me get to the review because I could go on and on about how much I love this movie. The premise seemed hunger game like and the factions and even some themes are the same the movies are vastly different. The factions and story were amazing. I've seen themes like these before but my god this movie put them to good use and wasn't generic like I thought it was. The characters Triss and four were well rounded and full of personality. The dauntless faction (my favorite of course) was so entertaining watching the initiation, training, the hardships of war and suffering to come out stronger than ever. The way the twist came and the final act of the movie was intense, jaw dropping, Had me raging (in a good way) and had some MAJOR FEELS and doesn't need spoiling at all! The action, special effects, fight scenes, and actors were all amazing. It definitely is a great movie and deserves higher reviews and praise then I seen it been getting. This is hands down one of my fav movies and I only have a handful of favorites. It definitely shouldn't be passed off as generic or rip off in anyway. I highly recommend it to those who like the hunger games or other scifi young adult adventure films. I will definitely be seeing the sequels and reading the books (and I hardly ever read) I give this movie a 9.5. I really can't find anything wrong with it except the cliffhanger ending. It was just AMAZING. You owe it to yourself to watch this atleast give it a try who knows you might come out loving it like I did!! 9.5/10 Expand
  41. Sep 10, 2014
    While it is at least thirty minutes to long, Divergent offers up a half way decent time. Comparisons with The Hunger Games are fair though its not as good, but not Twilight which still sits as one of the worst franchises in the last ten years. Shailene Woodley's presence on screen definitely helps make some of the less interesting things about the story at least watchable and contributesWhile it is at least thirty minutes to long, Divergent offers up a half way decent time. Comparisons with The Hunger Games are fair though its not as good, but not Twilight which still sits as one of the worst franchises in the last ten years. Shailene Woodley's presence on screen definitely helps make some of the less interesting things about the story at least watchable and contributes to a solid start to a new franchise. B Expand
  42. Apr 12, 2014
    Another young-adult franchise with a really interesting discourse based on the film, creating an entertaining movie to watch. The performances are mostly nice, but the majority of the time they become inefficient to represent the real story and characters that the book wants to transmit. However, its a nice movie at the end, with several social and political messages that are expressed allAnother young-adult franchise with a really interesting discourse based on the film, creating an entertaining movie to watch. The performances are mostly nice, but the majority of the time they become inefficient to represent the real story and characters that the book wants to transmit. However, its a nice movie at the end, with several social and political messages that are expressed all over the film. Expand
  43. Sep 30, 2014
    The Movie haven't great change from the book and i like this.
    The film is a little long, but the history is really big.
    A blockbuster movie, not a masterpiece but also not a **** :)
  44. Dec 21, 2014
    Okay i wasn't a fan of 'The Hunger Games' series that much, divergent didn't disappoint what so ever. As a reader i admire and am entertained by the book itself cause author Veronica Roth creates characters that absorbing to the Divergent Series, She creates Psychology futuristic events in the divergent world that makes this book and this movie fun! some screenwriters take popularOkay i wasn't a fan of 'The Hunger Games' series that much, divergent didn't disappoint what so ever. As a reader i admire and am entertained by the book itself cause author Veronica Roth creates characters that absorbing to the Divergent Series, She creates Psychology futuristic events in the divergent world that makes this book and this movie fun! some screenwriters take popular books make a screenplay can actually be **** like Percy Jackson or The Hunger Games and makes an adaptation then it become a disaster or it comes ok i guess. These Screenwriters did understand the book and what they can do to make it better as a script thats what screenwriters should do often as they make adaptations. The movie is Woodley plays Tris so well she was mean't for this role to play this so well her characteristics fit perfectly in the novel and through out this film. Director Neil Burger makes Roth's vision a reality in this movie and thats everyone dream in a movie. Expand
  45. Mar 26, 2014
    I have never read the original book nor the trailer before watching the movie. I think the movie had too much expectation before it was released and personally I found it not bad. Story-line wise, it has too shallow depth about the background as well as thoughts within the protagonist: a divergent, what was she thinking when she decides which fraction to choose?

The movie is actually

The movie is actually quite long but I found it missing explanations or more details throughout the story, in other words, things happen too rapidly. Overall, I like the movie and am looking forwards to the sequel.
  46. Nov 23, 2014
    Divergent, sin dudas, está un poco infravalorada, el film es entretenido y su historia es interesante, le hace falta mejores críticas de las que tiene, ya que la película, en general, es buena.
  47. Jul 23, 2014
    Though it can be cliché and predictable at times, "Divergent" is a loyal adaptation that moderately succeeds due to its solid acting, visual panache, and adequate direction.
  48. Apr 6, 2014
    I thought the acting and character development was fantastic, which is the purpose of the long run-time. There's a growing trend these days to make films shorter and shorter to suit our ADHD-levels of attention span, fitting the timing to plot rather than to the time needed to make us connect with the characters. Divergent managed to avoid that, and I think this is where its strength liesI thought the acting and character development was fantastic, which is the purpose of the long run-time. There's a growing trend these days to make films shorter and shorter to suit our ADHD-levels of attention span, fitting the timing to plot rather than to the time needed to make us connect with the characters. Divergent managed to avoid that, and I think this is where its strength lies - characters, rather than plot. The plot is enjoyable enough, but as others have noted, aspects of it are two-dimensional or don't make much sense, and parts of it feel too stretched-out or too rushed at times. Overall, if you're looking for a good dystopian sci-fi flick with some actual, realistic, relatable human characters in it (sometimes hard to come by in sci-fi), you're not going to go wrong with Divergent. If you're looking for a deep Orwellian analysis of society or for a solidly plot-driven film, you might want to give it a miss. Expand
  49. Apr 7, 2014
    Well let's do the same as everyone and compare Hunger Games to this movie. I read both books and saw both movies so I think I can be objective. I don't say this is a masterpiece, but in my opinion this movie is a good interpretation of the book. Yes some things are missing but it is the same for every goddamn adaptation. And even if everyone says that it is a lame copy of hunger games, IWell let's do the same as everyone and compare Hunger Games to this movie. I read both books and saw both movies so I think I can be objective. I don't say this is a masterpiece, but in my opinion this movie is a good interpretation of the book. Yes some things are missing but it is the same for every goddamn adaptation. And even if everyone says that it is a lame copy of hunger games, I must say that if this one came out before Hunger Games, I really think that Hunger Games wouldn't have worked well. This adaptation is better then the Hunger Games' one.
    Of course if you don't like this kind of blockbuster don't go see it! I mean I did not like Twilight so I didn't watch it, and thus I don't complain! Come on grow a little bit and don't watch something if you know you won't like it. Don't just watch it to criticize it after!
    Anyway good movie and I would say better than the Hunger Games.
  50. May 2, 2014
    I think this movie is brilliant and its one of those where you wont need to read the books to get it but you will want due to the pure genius that is divergent the only thing that keeps me putting this at a seven is it just seems like something i've seen before and probally will see again due to the buzz over the hunger games
  51. Feb 14, 2015
    Better than I expected it to be. It gave a big hunger games feel as i was watching it as it is sort of similar to it. Has some good action scenes that were excellently shot. Some points did get boring as nothing was really going on,but an entertaining enough movie.
  52. Apr 20, 2014
    Divergent is about a young girl named Tris who seems to be "Divergent". This is a great movie though the book is way better and has more detail unlike the movie which they changed.
  53. May 21, 2014
    I think this series has a very bright future ahead of it and that it is better than the hunger games by a long shot. The best thing is that the female character isn't emotionless she is a heroine full of heart and emotion and build her character up through the movie
  54. May 28, 2014
    When I first watched this movie, I loved it so much because the cast is amazing and the story is interesting. But then I read the book. I still think it is a great movie but, they left out many details. If they hadn't changed a few things, the movie would have been better. The writers and the director could have done a better job. I am looking forward to watching insurgent because thereWhen I first watched this movie, I loved it so much because the cast is amazing and the story is interesting. But then I read the book. I still think it is a great movie but, they left out many details. If they hadn't changed a few things, the movie would have been better. The writers and the director could have done a better job. I am looking forward to watching insurgent because there will be a different director. Expand
  55. Jul 23, 2014
    It's a must see movie. It's build on the same perception that is presented in The Hunger Games, but it's something more with this one than it's predecesor. Shailenne is a fenomenal actress and this role come to justify just that. Also the rest of the cast are good actors, great play for their characters in the movie. All in all, don't jump this one !!
  56. Mar 11, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Divergent was an interesting movie however the plot wasn't all that strong, I do like the 1984 big brother type of controlled society premise however I feel like they made it kind of weak in the movie. Given that there is time constraints in making a feature film I will assume that in the book there was more time spent on the whole of the atmosphere. The plot was indeed interesting I think the pacing for it was very good they made sure to give enough information as to why being divergent is "bad" and balancing between Tris' own ways of dealing with and hiding divergence while still keeping the mystery of how divergence is going to be very important in the end. However the begining did start a bit slow. Something I did like a lot was at the end where Four is being controlled and about to kill Tris I like how they didn't take the cheesey LOVE CONQUERS ALL way out, no they played on Four's fear of shooting an innocence so he was to much of a **** to pull the trigger giving his mind a chance to wake up *slow clap* Now the very end I have mixed feelings on because its so open ended and can really be taken in a lot of different ways, I do like that they escaped and hooray they fought the man and won now they run away blah blah blah. However since they wiped the program that was controlling the dauntless and have many people to bear witness at the problems with Erudite why not stay and try to make their society better instead of running away. That aside I did like the movie I thought it was cool not a blockbuster hit but entertaining a more precise score for me would be 6.7/10 Expand
  57. Sep 19, 2015
    Para mi una película no tiene que ser completamente entretenida para que la disfrute. Es cierto que divergente tiene sus altibajos, pero me gustó lo suficiente. Hay ciertas partes que dejaron a desear, en específico las simulaciones.
  58. Dec 14, 2015
    A relatively faithful adaptation that brings with it the best and the worst parts of the novel and leaves out a few things that might have made it better.

Watch here for free http://www.watchfree.to/watch-29e360-Divergent-movie-online-free-putlocker.html

1. Reviewed by: James Mottram
    Apr 7, 2014
    Loyal to the novel, but welcoming enough for newbies, Divergent does a decent if not jawdropping job of bringing its dystopian world to life.
  2. Reviewed by: Tim Robey
    Apr 3, 2014
    The more you scrutinise the society Roth and these screenwriters have created, the more it seems a chintzily self-designed dystopia whose rules and entire infrastructure are pure cardboard.
  3. Reviewed by: Helen O'Hara
    Mar 31, 2014
    Smart, tough and a little bit cool, this is an intriguing opening rather than a slam-dunk in its own right, but the cast - and especially Woodley - make it sufficiently diverting to merit a place in the action franchise ranks.